Supreme Championship Wrestling

Full Version: Match 9: Shaun Cruze (SCW Alum) vs. Eli Zechariah Goddard (EMERGE)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Event Date: September 28, 2019
Venue: Indianapolis, IN - Indiana Farmers Coliseum

- Post your first (Hybrid) RPs in this thread by 6:00 AM EST, Friday, 9/27/2019.
- PM Adamsama your second (shoot/segment) RPs by 6:00 AM EST, Saturday, 9/28/2019.
September 2018
Los Angeles

Shaun and Angyalka sit on their sofa watching the SCW PPV Apocalypse. They had just watched Regan Street defeat Owen Cruze in an action packed match, Shaun having been sat there watching, and beaming with pride.

Angyalka: He did good babe, Regan’s a handful for the best in the world.

Shaun: He did, kid’s got the world at his feet if he buckles down and learns these lessons. Hope he isn’t too disappointed about losing… I’ll call him in the morning and makes sure he’s OK.

Angyalka: My God of Thunder… always caring about others before himself.

Since the first day she had met Shaun, she had known that he was the one for her. The way he carried himself, the way he took care of her and their baby, Angyalka had never believed that she could meet a man like him. Sure, he had his issues, but who hadn’t, and right now sat watching the TV, she loved these moments so much. She looks over at Shaun however, staring at the screen intently, and she knew exactly what it was he was thinking. He had been the same after Taking Hold of the Flame, and also after Rise to Greatness but she hadn’t asked the question. This time however she does, knowing that it was troubling him

Angyalka: You miss it don’t you édesem?

Shaun snaps from his trance and turns to Angyalka

Shaun: Miss what babe?

Angyalka: Wrestling, the whole thrill of competition. You wish you were out there don’t you?

Shaun: Nah, I’m way too old for that now

Angyalka scoffs

Angyalka: You’re twenty nine Shaun, hardly. And don’t lie to me, I saw the look on your face.

Shaun could never lie to her, and nor would he want to.

Shaun: Well, maybe just a little

Angyalka: Yes, if a little means a lot.

Shaun just shrugs his shoulders, not committing to a response.

Angyalka: This is me babe, you can be honest.

Shaun pauses the PPV, not wanting to miss any of the action but realizing that this was a conversation that Angyalka wasn’t going to let go.

Shaun: Honestly, I don’t miss it. I get just as much a thrill from watching Owen do his thing than I ever did during my time. Without wrestling, I wouldn’t have gotten into acting, and I wouldn’t be on the verge of selling my script for Resistance. Plus, if it hadn’t been for the business, I wouldn’t have ever met you.

Angyalka: So, what is it then, because something is bothering you?

Shaun: Can you remember when I retired? After losing the tag team titles to Jake Starr and Tommy Valentine I didn’t want a lot of fuss.

Angyalka: Yeah, you didn’t want AJ distracted so you just slipped away.

Shaun: That’s right… at the time, I thought it was the right thing to do. But now, well I’m not so sure.

Angyalka: Why?

Shaun sighs, he thought he was being silly but she wasn’t going to let it go.

Shaun: Since my debut, and all the way up to when it ended, even during some of the worst times, the fans ALWAYS had my back. And yet when it came to the end, I just skulked away without telling them how much I appreciated their support, and without even saying goodbye.

Angyalka: I’m sure they understood my love

Shaun: Yeah, they probably did, and they have probably already forgotten about me now Owen is around… but it just nags away at me you know. And moments like this, it stings a little more.

Angyalka: So go back… I’m sure Olek would welcome you back with open arms right now.

Shaun: No, I can’t.

Angyalka: Why not? I know more than most you’re still in good shape, and the back is fully healed now so you would have no problem getting cleared

Shaun: No… its fine Angy honestly, I’ll deal with it.

Angyalka: You’d be main event before you knew it, like I said, you’re only twenty nine, and you’ve got plenty of years in you yet.

Shaun: No you don’t get it babe, I can’t go back and especially not to SCW

Now Angyalka looks worried, believing that there is something she isn’t aware of.

Angyalka: I don’t get it, sorry

Shaun lowers his head, looking at the floor

Shaun: Because it’s Owen’s time now… not mine.

Angyalka is relieved that it isn’t something less innocent, but doesn’t show it.

Angyalka: My love, I don’t know Owen as well as you do, but what I do know is he would love you to be competing again. He’s not worried about you sharing the spotlight with him. If this is something you want to do, then talk to him, tell him why you are doing it, and I’m certain he will be ok.

She takes his hand, and holds it in hers.

Angyalka: If you’re not happy, and competing again is whats missing… then you have to do it Shaun. Owen will understand.

Shaun: No… I just can’t do that to him. Now please drop it babe, please.

Angyalka opens her mouth to continue, but then thinks better of it as Shaun picks up the remote, and restarts the PPV. Hearing him speak so passionately about his fans, Angyalka now realized more than ever how important this was to him, but whilst ever Owen was competing, there was no chance of him saying his goodbyes. Shaun was willing to deal with that, but what he wasn’t aware was how much seeing Shaun unhappy about this was hurting his wife. But, he couldn’t do it, not when Owen was on the cusp of something big. He just couldn’t.

April 2019
Auckland, New Zealand

Having gotten the green light on his film, time had flown pretty fast. Once a director had been assigned, it hadn’t been long until they had begun filming, and a release date of December 2019 provisioned. The cast had been assembled, and Shaun himself was taking the lead, he had also taken the opportunity to provide Kennedy Street with a part. It was no secret that Kennedy wanted to be an actress once her wrestling career was over, and the part he had in mind suited her down to the ground. Now, a scene being filming that didn’t involve either of them giving them the opportunity for a break, they are sat in Kennedy’s trailer, which was actually better than Shaun’s dressed in all her blue Alien regalia. Truth was, Shaun was having a lot of trouble keeping a straight face, and Kennedy realizes this.

Kennedy: Something funny?

Shaun: Seeing you dressed like that hun… it tickles me, I gotta admit.

Kennedy: You know I make this costume look flawless honey.

Shaun: I can imagine the cosplayers are going to have a field day with it.

Kennedy: When I win my Oscar for Best Supporting Actress and you get nothing honey, you won’t be laughing then

Shaun laughs again

Shaun: I’m just kidding Kennedy, you’re a natural at this.

Kennedy: As I am everything Shaun, you know this.

Shaun nods

Shaun: Indeed I do.

Kennedy: Can I ask you something?

Shaun: Of course

Kennedy: Do you ever think about going back, to wrestling I mean?

Shaun: Sometimes, why do you ask?

Kennedy: I’m thinking of taking a break… and I’m not sure whether I should make it a permanent one or not.

Shaun: Truthfully, I’m not sure you ever really are… sure I mean. I mean, the first time I retired, it was because I had to, the back was a mess and if I hadn’t have had the operation and gave it time to heal, I’d be in a wheelchair right now. But the second time… walking away to do ‘this’, well I was never sure it was the right thing, and I’m still not. All I know is that the talent is off the chart nowadays, so perhaps I’m better off being here

Kennedy: So, I shouldn’t?

Shaun shakes his head

Shaun: I dunno, only you can answer that. I remember having a conversation with Angyalka last year, and she asked me pretty much the same thing. Only advice I could give you is you might not ever be sure, but you have to ‘make’ sure it’s the right decision for you. My opinion Kennedy it’s way too early for you to call it a day, but sometimes destiny isn’t the one that you think is written for you.

Kennedy: That’s deep honey

Shaun: Maybe, but just because you’re a Street doesn’t necessarily mean that being a wrestler is all you can be. I’m a Cruze, and wrestling is all Cruze’s have ever done… doesn’t mean to say that’s what I should be doing. And Owen seems to have that side covered anyway. This right here is my dream now, to write my own script and see it on the big screen.

Kennedy: So you’ll never go back?

Shaun: You know this business as well as I do, never say never. But if I did, I would have to believe in what I was doing, that I needed to return… or if family needed me.

Kennedy: Owen?

Shaun: Or Angy… even Taylor if she ever returns. But honestly, I can’t see it happening, they can all handle themselves. And I’m perfectly happy with that.

Kennedy nods, she could see that he meant it. He believed the business had passed him by, and that was one thing she never wanted to happen to her. A break would do her good, and after Rise to Greatness she’d take a hiatus, if only a little one. The business needed the ‘sexy, flawless diva’. But trouble was always brewing in the wrestling business, and Kennedy was now surer than ever, that one day the ‘Impact Player’ would return. Because one day, he would be given no choice.

30th of August 2019
Los Angeles

A few days ago Shaun had just watched the EMERGE show on his laptop, and seeing Vanilla Skyy destroyed at the hands of a group termed the ‘Unforgiven’. He had watched helplessly as an absolute legend of this business had been dismantled by those that didn’t care about the industry and the legacy that he himself had helped to build. Shaun was disgusted, but he was also fearful that the same was happening in SCW, and that history usually pointed to these groups seeping from one company to the other. If the Unforgiven, or a similar group, decided to set foot in SCW, Owen would be in trouble, and no matter how well the young man had handled himself so far, Shaun wasn’t sure that Owen was ready for that. With the death of Ricky Octavius still unsolved, and no one actually sure where his best friend Kelcey was, Shaun was feeling more helpless that he had done in the entire two years he had been away from the ring. More than anything he wanted to talk to Kelcey, because she’d put him straight. Instead, because he was home for a short break, as he was currently doing promotional work for Resistance: Earth, he found himself talking with longtime friend David Helms over a glass of the rum that he and Lucas had produced.

Shaun: This is good

David: Course it is, not going to put my name to any old crap.

Shaun: True… take it that’s why you didn’t buy into EMERGE?

David: Well yes, but also because I learned my lessons with the UWA, won’t be making that mistake again in a hurry. That, and it’s an absolute cluster fuck at the moment, and your brother isn’t helping… sorry

Shaun: I honestly don’t know what he is playing at. I’m sure he had better offers than Silas Mason and Aiken Frost though.

David: Even Blake would have been better than those two

Shaun: I’ll drink to that

They clink their glasses together, both taking a sip.

Shaun: It worries me though, that what is happening in EMERGE could easily happen to SCW, and if it did, I’m not sure Owen could cope.

David: I reckon you do the kid a disservice, he’s come through the other side on some pretty tough stuff, I reckon he’d handle it. Why do you bring it up?

Shaun: It’s just this God of Wrestling tournament I saw you’d entered… I’m contemplating giving it a go myself.

David: Christ, what with you AND Lucas, this is turning into a SCW reunion. But I get the feeling that this isn’t just a one-off and more a ‘trial’?

David had always been Orlando’s friend, but over the years he had been a firm acquaintance of Shaun’s as well, sometimes to Regan’s chagrin. Shaun helped AJ had gotten them close, and Dave had never not had Shaun’s back, even through all of his troubles.

David: Are you thinking of making this a full-time deal?

Shaun looks at his glass thoughtfully. He wasn’t usually a rum drinker, but this was one of the better ones he had tasted.

Shaun: I dunno Dave. I mean let’s face it, I am only thirty, nowhere near as old as you and Lucas…

David: Careful…

He grins, Shaun holding up his hands in protest.

Shaun: I just see all this bullshit happening… and I feel the need to do something about it.

David: What about the movie career? I mean I’m sure Resistance: Earth isn’t as bad as ‘Ghostbusters’ was.

Shaun: After Resistance comes out, I’m taking a break from acting for a couple of years. And spend time with Angy and Dorothea… if I could get on some kind of part time deal, maybe I could make it work.

Dave smiles

Shaun: What?

David: Dude, it’s not your battle anymore. It’s Owen’s, Peyton’s and yes even Jennifer’s, they are the business now. I’m sure the fans are loving the fact that Lucas and I are stepping into the ring, maybe it will help sell a few tickets. And if the Impact Player is in that tournament as well… it will be a pretty cute stroll down memory lane for the fans… well those that have heard of us.

Shaun: Oh please, you and Lucas are two of the biggest names in the business

Dave grins again

David: Look, what I’m saying is after they have done reminiscing, you’ll be the one unable to hold Dorothea for days after your matches. I don’t know, maybe you can still hang with people like Alistaire Allocco, perhaps Regan won’t want to kick your ass the minute you return…

He pauses for a moment, picking up the rum bottle.

David: But seriously bro, if you’re coming back to fight a war and make the business ‘right’ again, just promise me one thing?

Shaun: Sure

David: Before you commit to anything, before you sign any contract with anyone, you REALLY consider whether you want to risk everything you have built since you left. Because believe me Cruze, it’s not just about you anymore, it’s about everyone that you love. And is getting involved with the likes of Sienna Swann and Bree Lancaster really worth that?

Shaun sighs, Dave had raised a pretty valid point.

Shaun: I know… it just annoys me that’s all

David: And it annoys me bro… but we did our bit, it’s time for us to trust the younger generation to do the right thing. If you want to enter the tournament, go ahead, it would be amazing to get in the ring with you one more time. But in my opinion, keep it at that… you’ve done your time.

Shaun nods, David was right. Now wasn’t the time for him to return, potentially it would never be the time. But he was going to enter the God of Wrestling tournament, even it if was just to say goodbye. He may not have been able to give the fans the product they deserved, without the bullshit, but at the very least he could give them the thanks they had earned. And he would, no matter who he faced

20th of September 2019
Baltimore

After signing up, Shaun had started with a new trainer, and embarked on a training regime that had reminded him just what a strain this business put on your body. He was actually quite lucky, he’d kept himself pretty fit during his time away from the business, but that didn’t mean that after training with his Nephew Owen, his body didn’t feel like it was broken.

Usually, he would have just had a shower, but after returning to his hotel room he had been glad the room had a bath, and he had run himself one. He was just about to get in, when a knock is heard at his door, and cursing he turns, opening it in just his shorts. As the door opens, the person at the door covers her eyes, Shaun just standing there in disbelief.

“Maisie?”

Maisie Phillips was an ex-girlfriend of Shaun, a part of his life he preferred to forget. Yvonne Knight had been seriously hurt by Maisie who had fits of jealousy, and had even stabbed Pixie whilst she was pregnant. Shaun hadn’t seen her for years, and yet here she was stood in front of him.

Maisie: Can you please put a tee-shirt on or something?

Snapping from his shock, Shaun grabs a tee-shirt and puts it on, turning back to Maisie.

Shaun: What you doing here?

Maisie: I saw you earlier, coming out the Gym…

Shaun: Hold on, so you followed me here? How did you get my room number?

Shaun suddenly felt fearful her being here

Maisie: Don’t worry… I haven’t been stalking you, not really. I live here in Baltimore now, and seeing you… well I just thought it would be nice to catch up with an old friend. Nothing more than that.

Shaun looks at her questionably.

Maisie: I promise, that’s all.

Shaun: ‘Just’ a catch up?

Maisie laughs

Maisie: Oh please Shaun, don’t flatter yourself, I’m not ill anymore

Shaun: Haha, cheers.

Maisie: What I mean, is you have nothing to worry about.

Shaun looks at his watch

Shaun: OK, I’ve got an hour… lead the way

Maisie: Perfect, I know a little coffee house not far away.

Maisie heads back towards the door, Shaun suddenly remembering his bath that he would have to now take later. It was just a coffee with an old friend, nothing to worry about, that’s what she said. What Shaun didn’t know at this point, was that he had EVERYTHING to worry about.

/RECORD

“God of Wrestling.”

The scene appears, Shaun Cruze sat on the apron of a wrestling ring.

“You are going to hear those words bandied around a lot over the next few weeks. You’re going to hear stories of people wanting to be a ‘God’. You might even get one or two trying to explain how they are already a God, and this will just prove that point. And you are going to get those that one hundred percent claim that they are better than twenty three others, and their victory is guaranteed, the rest of us may as well not even bother showing up. And then, finally, you’ve got the realists like me.”

He grins, looking behind him at the ring and lifting his arm so that he grasps the top rope.

“You see guys, for nigh on six years, between these strands, this was my home. This was the place where I could release my frustrations, it was a place where I could throw off the shackles. Heck, it was the place where I could be an inspiration for so many people, who threw their hat on me… to do things that they could only dream of. Win title upon title no matter which company I represented, yeah I did that. Main Event the biggest wrestling show on the planet, finished it mate. For six years, I was the Renegade, I was the Impact Player… I had wrestling fans backing me worldwide. No matter which city I went to, they were there. Through the good times, and especially the bad, the wrestling public, the guys that paid good money to see us wrestle and are just as much a part of the fabric of SCW as Lucas, David and I was, they supported me, and showed me their love. Yes, of course I earned good money for what I did. And yes, I got the prestige of shiny belts with my name on the plate. But hearing those fans cheer my name, hearing the ‘Impact Player’ chant rolling around arenas all over our planet…”

He pauses for a moment, trying not to get emotional

“That was the biggest part of it for me, and it’s those moments I remember more than any other when I look back over my wrestling career. Those moments when I connected more than anyone else in the business. So giving me the opportunity to be a God, truthfully it’s not that big a deal, because I, and anyone else who has reached that level never wanted to be a God, and I still don’t.”

He laughs, shaking his head

“I mean, hark at me, I sound like a sixty year old like CHBK, reminiscing about a career that was thirty years ago. And with that explanation you’d be forgiven for asking ‘so Shaun, if you’re not bothered, why enter the tournament? And the answer to that question is twofold. One, there wasn’t a chance in hell I wasn’t going to take the opportunity to once again ride with Lucas and David… potentially the last chance I will ever get. And two, at thirty years old I have hardly any regrets professionally, but I do regret the way I left the business two years ago. So the second reason for me entering the God of Wrestling tournament…”

He lifts his hand up, pointing at the camera

“… is every one of you. I needed this tournament, a tournament without the daily grind of arena, after arena, one show after the next. I needed it to be able to step through those ropes one last time and show my appreciation for you all. To finally, be able to say goodbye.”

He brings his hand back down and rests both hands either side of him.

“And you better not blink guys, because my participation might not last too long and could be a one night only kinda deal. I mean, let’s brass tacks this a little, I could name all the participants in this competition and make more of a case for them going all the way than any justification I have. There are former world champions, current people wrestling in the business right now and tearing it up. And just my luck… Shilo Valiant has even made an appearance, someone I never managed to beat. Take that into consideration and the fact the only wrestling I’ve done in the past two years is with my baby daughter trying to get her nappies on, and the fact is for me to say I’m going all the way, count on it… it would sound pretty ridiculous. You want to put your money on me, fine, I appreciate the support, but come on, Selena Frost? Katie Steward? Josh Hudson? You’re getting my point here right? Not to mention in the first round, the bracket decided to give me you… Eli Goddard.”

Shaun puffs out his cheeks and shakes his head in disbelief.

“What the hell did I do to deserve that huh? I mean, the bracket could have given me one of the other ‘alumni’, but I get you?”

He manages a grin, at least seeing the funny side.

“Let’s get one thing straight right off the bat huh Eli? Don’t think for one second this is going to be one of those ‘fly under the radar’ kind of deals. That you are going to get a situation where I, being the one that had been out of the business for a couple of years don’t know who you are, or what you bring to the table. As Tombstone, with your brother Sawyer, you have torn up the EMERGE tag team division, and were only recently beaten for the titles by the Moustache Ride, a fact that I’m pretty sure hasn’t helped your mood none. You’re not someone from the EMERGE roster that’s just starting out, in fact you actually have three years on me, and you are the eldest of the siblings. That all about right?

Of course, all of that information you can find out on the Internet, no big deal that I know that when it would take five minutes to Google. But there is one bit of that information that is important in our case. One thing that at least gives me a chance to advance. You are every bit the veteran I am, you’re not going to be flying from the top rope, or overcoming me with speed. Our match, pits two people that will come to wrestle in almost the same way, perhaps except the biting. And that excites me Eli, it excites me a lot. And you know why? Put quite simply, if this is to be goodbye from me in the first round, it had to be with someone able to make this the stand out match of this tournament. And you know something buddy, assuming I can keep up, I reckon you and I are going to do precisely that, if, and it’s a big if, there is a Goddard that can for once keep their eye on the prize.”

He shrugs his shoulders, not caring for one second that Eli wouldn’t have the first clue what he meant. Before Eli’s head explodes Shaun explains.

“I’ll refer to EMERGE again and your title loss, when the Moustache Ride’s ‘antics’ led to your downfall. Was it not because the two of you failed to do what you do best and deal with the threat in front of you, instead of discounting it as a threat altogether? Take your ‘brother’ Sundown, who allowed himself to lose a title match, because he refused to accept that he ‘could’ be beaten, until he was. Is it reaching that far to suggest that maybe, just maybe, your family is so cock sure of themselves, that they fail to do due diligence, something that is criminal in an industry as cut throat as ours. Is it possible that honestly, and regardless of ring rust and anything else that occurs after two years hiatus, you could believe that your advancement to round two is inevitable… when you are stepping into the ring with someone who was known as one of the most prepared wrestlers of this decade?

Now, of course… I’ve no doubt that according to you, I don’t have the first clue who you are, Tombstone protect their own, yadda, yadda. But the thing is, I don’t need to ‘know’ you, to figure out what kind of person you are and that this match is likely to go one of two ways. Either, you’ll come at me like a hurricane, and overwhelm me with your aggression, beating me down to a pinfall. Or, you’ll come at me like a hurricane, TRY to overwhelm me with your aggression, realize like so many before you that good old Cruzie just won’t stay down, get frustrated and then BAMMM, fall foul to the ‘Morality’ and get pinned for the 1-2-3, wondering what the hell just happened. And the difference between you and I buddy, as long as I get the goodbye I wanted, I couldn’t give less of shit which of those scenarios plays out. Of course I want to advance, but if I’m not good enough so be it, someone else will be a ‘God’ apparently… just don’t let Sundown loose on me after ok?”

He laughs, the end of the promo getting closer

“And, it might seem to you like I don’t care, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. I want to win, whilst at the time realizing to come back right now and face the current crop of exceptional athletes that I would have to go through to win the tournament, I have to be a realist and concede it’s unlikely…”

He pauses, a smirk forming on his face

“Thing is, it was unlikely I’d make the transition from wrestler to actor, but I did. It was unlikely I’d ever win a world title, but I won two. Nobody thought I could break from the shadow one of the biggest names in the business and carve a career of my own, but guess what, I did that as well, so unlikely, that means nothing to me Eli, I’m been defying ‘unlikely’ all my life. So when my music hits, I want you to listen. Whether you are in the back, or in the ring waiting. I want you to hear the reaction of those fans in the arena, the noise level when that ‘Impact Player’ chant breaks out. And I want you to take note…”

He pushes himself off the ring and stands in front of it

“That noise you hear, thats due to a legacy built not on breaking bones or being badass, but by being the best in the world. That reaction is respect, for someone who for years wrestled not for himself, but for those that made him. Eli, you are about to step in the ring not with a ‘has been’, but with an ‘always will be’ and win, lose or draw my name is forever etched in the history of this business… when you retire Eli, on your current path, do you think you’ll be able to say the same?”

He salutes the camera, and then winks with a smile

“It will be a pleasure finding out.”

With a final smirk, the scene slowly fades.
Tombstone, Texas
27th September 2019

It was a night everything would change for Eli Goddard, his career up to now was one which had seen him take part in a variety of feuds with his adopted brother Sawyer in EMERGE. All of which culminated with the pair winning the EMERGE Tag team championships in a division which many considered a joke given the lack of actual talent. Nobody took the division serious until they won the belts, it was when the wrestling world had taken notice of the Goddard family once again. Their father John Goddard was in Supreme Championship Wrestling as it was and one of their sisters, Minerva was applying her trade elsewhere.

Each finding what successes they could, it was enough to sate their hunger although for Eli that was never the case. He didn’t crave championship gold like the others, he craved the hunt for his next kill. Eli Goddard is a hunter at heart and pro wrestler second you see and sometimes the two go hand in hand depending on the opponent placed in front of him. Therefore, we find ourselves back home in Tombstone, Texas. Eli liked to return here to gather his thoughts before a big hunt, and in the God of Wrestling tournament, the prey is the biggest he has yet to chase yet…

The night sky is clear as can be, a fire burns in the centre of a seating area made from logs. The stars twinkle in the heavens, a bounty of beauty worthy of a night as stunning as this. Eli sits in his black tank top and tattered jeans accompanied by a pair of heavy black boots. His body littered with scars and tattoos; his eyes fixated on the axe in his hand which he holds tightly with his left hand while sliding a sharpening stone along its edge with his right…

He hears something from the nearby woods, a hoot from an owl… He reaches down to a large jug after placing the axe on his lap and takes a swig from it’s contents and nods to himself after putting it down and look at the blade, he then stands and slams the axe blade first into the log he sat on and it cuts into it deeply…

He smirks before looking towards the viewer…

[Rec.]

Eli Goddard: “The God of Wrestling tournament… An event the SCW has brought back to prominence once more upon the request of the father of their current World Champion… With EMERGE splitting off from the company, did you think it wouldn’t have a horse in this race? There are others of course from EMERGE but they pale in comparison to the blood butcher and why I am here. I’ve heard a lot of why you are in this tournament. Some of you are doing it for misplaced love, for purity of wrestling, you’re doing it for family or your son or your daughter. You’re doing it to see if you have still got what it takes to lock horns with the very best in the world. To see if you can become a GOD!”

Eli’s voice booms and echoes around him while he now extends his arms and begins to laugh to himself.

Eli Goddard: “A God of professional wrestling… Is that not what you all seek to become? You all look to those who believe in you, the fans and you smile knowing that they have supported you through everything up unto this point. Every misdeed, every failure and each of your successes. To them you’re already gods, to them there is no higher accolade than the one they have already bestowed upon you because for many there is nothing better than to be lauded over by the sheep of this world... Sheep that deserve to be slaughtered at the hands of those such as Xander Valentine, he had the right idea…  Therefore, I am here in the tournament not to represent EMERGE, but to slay each one of the would be “Gods” these sheep idolize, the ones that have the misfortune to be placed against the Blood Butcher in this tournament, and there are many of you...”

Eli Goddard: “It all begins with my greatest hunt to date since stepping into this business. I face a man who stepped away from this world having already elevated himself to Godhood in the eyes of oh so many, including members of his own family. But this was not enough for the likes of Shaun Cruze, he wanted more, his ego craved more so what does one such as he do? He leaves this world; he removes himself to pursue Hollywood... It is the same cycle time after time, many before him have done the same, and many more will do so after he is dust in the ground. They add to the poison of this world by creating the filth you all watch for your entertainment. You are guilty as all before and those yet to do so, Shaun Cruze.”

Eli looks up to the stars and their majesty, the universe on full display.

Eli Goddard: “Which is why I have relished this match since the very beginning it was announced. You are a prime hunt, one of the very best to set foot inside a ring, aren’t you? You are a pedigree above everyone else which is why you’re back, you’ve missed this haven’t you, you want to be able to look at yourself one more time in the mirror and  say that you have what it takes, prove that Hollywood hasn’t stolen anything from you and you haven’t missed a step. Honestly, I hope this is true Shaun Cruze, for your sake because I do not wish to be disappointed when you and I go toe to toe in this war of attrition...”

Eli Goddard: “And make no mistake, while for you this is no doubt a way back into the hearts of those you left behind. For me this is the beginning of something that my father John Goddard started in SCW, this is a war that a mantle I shall carry and along with it the burdens... When I look at your poster on walls, I don’t see a Hollywood actor, I don’t even see a pro wrestler. I see one who is no better than those that have poisoned the world with their filth which you call entertainment. Your movies that poison the souls of those that have believed in you, they want entertainment? I shall give it to them with you laying at my feet and my boot resting on your skull.”

Eli Goddard: “The world celebrated at the news of yourself, Lucas Knight, David Helms, Josh Hudson and Shilo Valiant all returning to the ring after retirement or hiatus. The world held their breath at the likes of Selena Frost, Thirteen, David Callahan and others returning. They then got excited at the prospect of seeing new talent, such as Alban McConnell, Jake Raab, Katya Djurdevic, D’Nae Moore and others. I exclude myself because I am the one who looks to thwart each of them and everyone else, I’ve ignored. I am not here to become a god. While you all look to ascend, I plan to keep my feet firmly on the ground because that is what the hunt is about. You can fight to be a GOD because when it’s all said and done, when the blood flows I will be the Devil this tournament needs to bring you all back down to earth.”

Eli turns his back to the camera now and removes the axe from the log, behind him was the darkness of the woods. Which is where he begins to walk with the axe on his shoulder and a worthy hunt on his mind. He knows all about Shaun Cruze, he has heard the stories, the legend of the Impact Player and now it was time the World understood the legend of Eli Goddard and what he was capable of.

Emerge was just the beginning, now he looked to slay a series of would-be Gods in the Making…

Tombstone, Texas
The Night Before…

When Eli returned to Tombstone after his travels, he didn’t know what to expect.  He heard a lot of things were happening since the family had gone on their travels around the wrestling business. In all honesty he never wanted to leave Tombstone, it was his home but with War no one ever truly wants to go off and fight unless it was to protect something, they valued more than their own life, home... Their father John Goddard, he set himself on a mission and Eli the eldest of the family had to support his father.

Thus, took his kin to EMERGE to fight battles there while their father battle in SCW and their sister elsewhere such as GCW and EAW. With the God of Wrestling tournament drawing closer Eli wanted to come home to familiar surroundings to help him prepare mentally for what was going to be the most arduous challenge to date. He knew his opponent would be good, he knew he would be a legend. He could sense it in his gut, he had the knack of predicting things like this. It was his hunter’s instinct, which in turn was what brought him home.

The sun shone brightly as he walked up the dirt path towards Tombstones main gate, it was already open with his sister Viveca standing there with her hands on her hips and a smile on her face. It had only been a few weeks since he last left, but for Goddard family a day felt like an eternity. She welcomes him with a warm embrace as he drops his bag to his side.

Viveca: “Ya’ll are makin’ a habit of this ain’t ya sugah, leaving only to come back? If I didn’t’ know better, I’d think you missed me.”

She chuckled to herself while still beaming with a grin from ear to ear. Eli smirked a little, it was all he could muster…

Eli: “You know I’ll always miss you when I’m gone, sister.”

Viveca: “Yeah I know, welcome home brother.”

She picked up Eli’s bag and threw it over her shoulder, the pair of siblings walking into the compound known as Tombstone. A haven for all of those who have been shunned by the outside world, a place where second chances can happen for anyone willing to accept the rules of this land. As the gates begin to close, we move closer to the pair who continue their conversation…

Eli: “So how are things here?”

Viveca: “Honestly, they’ve been better Eli. A lot of folks beginning to lose faith you know, but with pa back now I think we’re gonna be okay.”

Eli: “He’s back then, how long?”

Viveca: “Few days give or take, should go see him I know it’s been a while.”

It had been a while since Eli had see his father, each were so focused on their own battles lately that it was all consuming. Eli nods to his sister but before he could even do what she asked they are swarmed by many of the townsfolk all here to greet the returning Eli… He spent the better half of the afternoon speaking with many members of the town, catching up with what was going on in their absence.

In the distance Eli could see his father leaning against the post of his porch watching from a far, he hadn’t come down to see his son and that did trouble him. Some more times passes, and Eli has caught up with what has been happening in Tombstone, he carries with him a bottle of Jaspers moonshine. Removing the cork with his teeth and spitting it out before walking up towards the home he grew up where John Goddard waited.

Eli took a swig from the bottle and hissed to himself, the taste was sweet, and it had no right to taste like it did given the content of the alcohol inside the glass prison, but it was a joy to drink all the same. Certainly, was something to put hair on any man’s chest as the saying goes…

John: “Ya’ll made it then?”

Eli: “Aye…”

Eli took another swig from the bottle before offering it to his father he accepted it and took a drink himself… John Goddard was a legend around these parts, he was a grapple many years ago until his wife died and everything changed. He shunned the world and raised the kids behind these walls he built with his own two hands.

John: “Ya’ll might as well get it off your chest son, I know you got something you wanna say so ya might as well it.”

Eli did have something he wanted to say, something he had spoken with his sisters before previously and brother Sawyer but no he wasn’t sure if he should say anything. It wasn’t his place even though deep down he knew he was probably the only one who could speak up about it…

Eli: “What is going on with you?”

John: “Excuse me?”

Eli: “Why is Wendell with them for starters?”

John: “Why? She offered to guide him, tah help him find himself who am I to deny that?”

Eli scoffed at that response, who was John Goddard? He was the Hellbilly! He was one of the most revered men in the state of Texas, that’s who. When he spoke people listened, but now not so much…

Eli: “Have you not seen what he has done, what he may have done? I know this is a war and we have to pick sides, by I wasn’t aware we picked sides with the likes of those we once strived to fight against who wanted to poison those closest to us…”

John nodded, he took another sip from the bottle and handed it back to his son.

John: “Aye, this is true but what would you have me do then, I am a man of my word. Cindy and I? we have ourselves an understanding, they stay out of your way and you stay out of theres.”

Eli: “I’d like to believe that pa, but you that isn’t how this works, not anymore because you’ve seen to it.”

John: “What is THAT supposed to mean son?”

Eli sighed; these words were something that had been buried inside him for a while now. He never wanted to disrespect his father, he idolized too much, but someone had to try and make him see sense…

Eli: “It means that I’m seeing you standing here before me looking nothing like the man that left to go to war with SCW. Instead what do you do? You befriend a young woman who made you soft. A young woman whose sister Rhiannon lives here on our land.”

John: “What is your point? She’s been a valued member of this society of ours has not she?”

Eli: “Aye, to what purpose huh? One where you shun Minerva to the point, she’s off doing her own thing and only seeing Sawyer and I when Emerge rolls around?”

John: “Is that it, you miss your sister?”

Eli: “That and other things sure. You know none of this isn’t right pa, and something must change because one of our greatest weapons, is now in the hand of the fucking enemy...”

Eli was talking about Wendell McGraw better known as Sundown, he was a beast of a man, a tower of power and was now working for Cindy Todd in Emerge and that meant trouble for anyone. Eli didn’t like that…

John: “You hold your tongue when speaking to me Eli. This time I’ll it slides, but never disrespect me I am your father.”

Eli: “They why don’t you act like it?”

John took a step forward now; he was getting agitated and that was something Eli wanted to see. To see if that fire still burned inside his father’s soul…

John: “You don’t worry about any of that son.”

Eli: “I can’t help it, someone has to pick up after the mess you’ve been making and I don’t that to be just Viv either.”

John: “What are you talking about now?!”

Eli: “Have you spoken to any of the folks down there, really spoken with em since you’ve been back? Things aren’t going well here, people are getting sick more and more, the poison is getting stronger and you’re up here doing what, nothing?”

John: “You have no idea what it is I’m doing boy.”

Eli: “I see you’re doing NOTHING.”

John: “I warned you to hold your tongue, Eli.”

Eli: “Or what? What are you going to do, huh?”

Eli was continuing to push his fathers buttons in the hope of seeing the man of old, the one he respected more than anyone else step out of the shadow that was obviously consuming him lately… Sometimes though you need to be careful of what you wished for…

John: “I will tell you what I think, I think you look for a reason to have a fight with me. You don’t like how I’ve been doing things; you’re welcome to fucking leave the way you came. I don’t have time or the patience for those who aren’t going to support our family and what we’re trying to achieve okay?”

Eli: “What?”

John: “You heard me, you don’t like it you can leave boy, in fact you know what son. Leave go I don’t want to see you here. I expect more from you Eli, but you’re coming here to me saying I’m soft when you’re the one who has go one to lose something you grew to enjoy holding onto.”

Eli: “You’re talking about the tag belts?”

Eli laughed at the thought that he enjoyed holding them, while they were a trophy for him, they were also a means to an end because with it they brought more prey with the light which shone onto them as bait…

John: “I am, I can see in your eyes that you were enamoured by them. You were poisoned by em son… It’s a poison I don’t want to see in Tombstone, we can’t afford to let it grow here… So I want you gone at dawn, you understand. I’m going to give you till then to say your goodbyes…”

That surprised Eli a little, he didn’t expect that sort of response, he had challenged his father before in the past and that was about it. But this was different… Eli stood there taking another sip from the bottle before saying nothing else and turning on his heels to walk back down the hill where Viveca waited with a smile, only for it to disappear knowing some was wrong…

And it was…

Something was wrong with their father…