Supreme Championship Wrestling

Full Version: Aaron Blackbourne vs. Autumn Valentine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
2 RP Limit

Deadline: 11:59:59 pm ET Tuesday, February 4, 2020
What would you risk in reality to fix your crumbling imagination?

Never in his life did Aaron think he would be asking himself that question. Aside from the odd incident here and there, his mind had always been the safe haven he could retreat to when he needed a break from the rigors of reality. Yeah, everyone will tell you that reality sucks quite often, but the creative soul would admit that he’s been pretty lucky with his for the most part. The friendships he’s formed, the opportunities he’s gotten, having found love… there are some people out there who are lucky if they only get one of those things, after all. He couldn’t simply forget about any of it, but sometimes desperation tends to cloud one’s judgment until everything is put into perspective for them.

While Chicago hadn’t afforded him the reward he’d sought on the SCW front, he did leave the Windy City with a new angle on his situation to think over.

Prior to Day of Infamy, he’d broken his personal vow to try and avoid therapists at all costs in hopes that the one who used to be a former SCW competitor himself might be open-minded enough to get him what he wanted. Granted, things had gotten a bit ugly at the end, but maybe it was for the best as Aaron’s rash thinking on what seemed like the best solution to his problem met the brick wall of logic that he truly needed to meet. If James Marsh-Asher had truly helped in any way, it had been through giving the necessary clarity that risks the artist had never considered prior were probably not worth the gamble he sought to take.

Coming from a man who, at one point in time, had orchestrated one of the greatest situational manipulations in SCW history, it was both jarring and enlightening to have someone else paint the bigger picture for him for a change.

Aaron wanted to put an end to the Nemesis issue, there was no doubting that. Considering how much his safe haven was falling apart and the thing that defined him his entire life was beginning to slip from his grasp, not to mention the complications of this problem slowly spilling over into his real-life endeavors, it was clear that the sooner he put an end to this, the better. That said, his initial idea had easily been probably the most extreme one he could’ve pursued, having flat out asked Dr. Marsh-Asher if he could be sedated to guarantee he’d be out long enough to resolve the issue, never fully contemplating the risks of what he was demanding until they were laid out for him. He didn’t know how he jumped straight to that decision, but he had a pretty good guess his realization of an impending battle that could very well decide the fate of his mind and knowing his time within was limited had him scrambling for a solution.

Still, Zeitgeist seemed to have pointed Aaron in the wrestler-turned-therapist’s direction for a reason, and the fact that James had been open to further sessions despite the hostilities over the sedating issue kept a valuable door open for him to consider.

Portland would be the sight of the next Breakdown, and for the moment things seemed much simpler as far as he was concerned. As much as it bothered him missing out on Trios captainship, something James had told him more in regards to Shilo Valiant could easily apply on a larger scale. He knew he had yet to get a win on the board in 2020 and that needed to change, and he found himself with that opportunity so long as he could defeat Autumn Valentine, someone he’d never faced one-on-one but held an indirect win over in the past. A lot had changed since then, obviously, but one thing he knew for sure was that he couldn’t let himself falter now. The tweet he’d sent out after the pay-per-view made everything crystal clear: all that existed to him right now was this match. If Shilo finally decided to resurface, if he was selected for someone’s Trios team… hell, if anyone felt the need to start something with him for whatever reason, he’d worry about it after the bell rang.

“I hate to interrupt your thoughts, but the whole point of this was to give your mind a break and see if it helped any.”

A flick on the nose punctuated the statement as Aaron snapped out of the deep thinking trance he’d put himself into, glancing over at Liane with a look that was both thankful for the wake-up call but a little annoyed from the small amount of pain radiating from the middle of his face now. The two of them had decided to take a walk through Washington Park, taking in all the beautiful scenery this place had to offer while giving Aaron a chance to take a break. Ever since Day of Infamy had ended, he hadn’t exactly been taking it easy, alternating between trying to push himself further and further in his workouts to make sure he was in peak condition to try and win this next match and really thinking over everything he’d taken away from that therapy session with Dr. Marsh-Asher. The fact that he wasn’t even resorting to mindlessly doodling some new idea into existence as his usual means of meditation and clearing his head had set off every alarm Liane could put a sound to, and she’d insisted this was for his own good. The weather may not have been the greatest, but that’s what coats and umbrellas were for and Aaron was usually a fan of the rain anyway, which was even more excuse to get out of their hotel room for a little bit.

“Sorry… you know I’ve had a lot on my mind, Liane.”

“And that’s what worries me. I can understand wanting to make up for missing out on that Trios thing for now, even if there is such a thing as pushing yourself too hard, but you haven’t really told me a ton about what happened in that session that’s got you thinking so hard.”

Liane gave a light chuckle at her weak attempt at a pun, given the name of where they were at, but it was obvious her heart really wasn’t too into it, and that idea definitely bothered her beloved. She did have a point though, one that had Aaron letting out a nervous sigh. He’d told her that things had gotten a bit heated between him and the therapist but an understanding was reached and he took a lot away from the whole thing, but he’d been avoiding talking about exactly what it was he’d gained from it. He tried to tell himself it was because he wanted to figure it out himself first, but if he was being honest? He was scared… scared to tell Liane what he’d been willing to consider without any regard to the repercussions. It may not have seemed like much more than just a dumb leap of faith he’d thankfully been talked out of, but considering she’d almost lost him half a year ago when Dylan stamped his ticket to hell and tried to take him along for the ride, he really didn’t want to think about how she’d react to the mere idea of a similar scenario potentially playing out.

“I’m sorry Liane… I just…”

His thoughts derailed almost immediately, finding his inner conflict to vocalize this putting the brakes on that train ride rather quickly. It didn’t help when his gaze met the clear concern in Liane’s eyes, which were practically begging for him to open up to her about whatever was going on. He knew they’d made a promise to do their best to help one another through whatever issues had arisen but was that promise worth keeping if you thought you might hurt someone without meaning to? Choking out a weak sigh, Aaron slowly moved out from under the umbrella she was holding and moved over to stand near one of the ponds within the park, not caring if he was getting soaked in the downpour. Something about the rain always had a bizarre calming effect on him, and this wasn’t the first time he’d been willing to trade getting drenched and risk catching a cold for the peace of mind he gained from the sound and feel of the water as it fell from the heavens to the earth. As he looked down at the pool of water sitting just before him, his eyes drifted over to the engagement ring resting on his finger that Liane had gotten for him sometime after he’d proposed to her, to give them a matching set.

“I know it’s been a while since we’ve brought it up, with everything that’s happened… but… have you given any thought to wedding plans at all?”

It was an odd question to ask at that moment, and even he wouldn’t deny that. Seeing the ring on his finger, however, brought the thought to his mind and out of his lips before he’d really given it much thought, but part of him was hoping it might help to change the topic of conversation. He didn’t need to tell you how much Liane meant to him and how badly he wanted to spend eternity with you, but perhaps putting their relationship on the table to discuss would help be a strong reminder to him that his decisions affected far more than just him now, and he needed to be better than simply committing to the first idea that he thought would solve all his problems. Being willing to die fighting to protect something that mattered to you was one thing, but a senseless sacrifice that would only hurt the one you were trying to protect was a different matter entirely.

“Not… not really, to be honest. I’ve been trying to, but it’s been hard between my comedy career finally getting off the ground, your wrestling, what happened with your brother… I don’t mean to sound rude Aaron, but-”

“What about after we’re married? What kind of life we’d live together?”

Liane looked a little frustrated as she watched her boyfriend seemingly stare off into space in the pouring rain, tempted to go stand by his side and shove the umbrella onto his head if she had to in order to keep him from getting soaked any more. Something seemed to click in her mind, though… Aaron had to be asking these things for a reason, right? Sure, she was more than happy to discuss their relationship at any time, but if he was choosing now to talk about it as a means of shifting the topic away from whatever happened in his session, then he had to have a good reason for doing so. Considering that, she decided to play along, taking a moment to seriously ponder life with the creative soul. Their future was a topic she’s dreamed of countless times, and she let her mouth spill it all as she reflected back on those blissful images.

“I guess… when I think about what kind of life I’d like to live with you, I can’t help but picture us living together in a nice house. Nothing too big, and no offense to the apartment you’ve had for years, but definitely a place that gives us more room to be free to be ourselves. A nice big space for you to do your art and display it for anyone to enjoy, somewhere I can spitball jokes to my heart’s content… I know it’s not something we’ve discussed before, but I can’t help but dream of us having a few kids together. I’m sure they’d be just as creative and passionate as we are and we’d be proud of everything they go on to accomplish. Maybe we could consider adding a pet to help-”

Liane trailed off as she thought she heard sobbing, and as she moved to stand beside Aaron she realized that’s exactly what he was doing. It was hard to tell visually because of the rain, and he was trying to keep it pretty quiet, but she knew her fiancé well enough by now to know he was sobbing. The smile on his face, however, surprised her, as it certainly wasn’t sadness that was bringing tears to his eyes and getting him choked up. Sure, it was nice sharing her dreams about the future with him, but she didn’t think it would have this kind of effect on him.

“I’m sorry Liane… it’s just… it all sounds so beautiful. A loving family, a nice house… I want that kind of life to look forward to, and I think I needed a bit of a reminder of what I already have to look forward to so I can get my head straightened out and stop jumping to conclusions.”

Liane raised a bit of an eyebrow at this, now being one hundred percent positive this had something to do with whatever happened in that therapy session. Before she had a chance to raise the question again, however, Aaron suddenly grabbed her in a tight hug and smashed his lips against hers, the shock of the sudden affection causing the comedian to drop the umbrella to the ground. It took her a moment to regain her senses, but once she did her arms were wrapped around him and the affection was returned, the two of them sharing the kind of kiss in the rain you’re likely to find in a romance movie, their grip tightening and the kiss deepening as though they might lose one another forever if this came to an end. They even briefly forgot about exactly where they were standing as Liane began to fall over, bringing Aaron down with her, causing them both to end up falling into the pond. While Liane wasn’t as soaked as Aaron had been by the rain, now both of them were waterlogged as they slowly stood up, their kiss having ended but their embrace tighter than ever.

“Well, I guess we’re all washed up now.”

“Heh… sorry… about everything…”

Liane didn’t question it this time as the two shared one last kiss before quickly getting out of the pond before they got into any trouble, retrieving their umbrella and deciding it was time to return to their hotel room to dry off and simply enjoy one another’s company. It was in the warmth of this moment that Aaron finally opened up about what had come up during his appointment and his borderline insane solution that he was now thankful he’d been talked out of. While he wasn’t necessarily going to rule the option as out of play just yet, he wasn’t about to dive into the abyss unless there truly was no other choice. Liane, thankfully, was understanding after how he’d led her into outlining a possible future for the two of them together to help him fully come to terms with the next step he needed to take, and she was more than willing to be supportive of him every step of the way.

Sometimes, it really was as simple as that, and it was getting harder for Aaron to see that the longer this has gone on.

As long as he had people like Liane and so many others in his life, however, then he would find a way to overcome without needing to take any unnecessary risks.

It gave him peace of mind to know that, considering he knew Nemesis could make no such claims from the dark recesses of his mind, and there was no doubt that would ultimately be his undoing.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day of Infamy was what it was.

I know, it’s a little awkward repeating something from a tweet I sent out after the show took place, but I figured it would help set the tone for today. After all, Breakdown is coming to Portland, and the world is buzzing over who those that secured spots as Trios captains will pick and why several of them will no doubt single out someone like me and shove it down my throat that with the one member of their team they actually have a say in, I won’t be taking part in the event this year.

Go ahead… believe it or not, it doesn’t matter to me.

I’m sure I probably got a few egos out there stuck in a proverbial ditch, but I meant every single word I said in that tweet. When that show starts on Wednesday night and all those Portland fans pack the Moda Center, only one thing matters to me, and that’s the match I’m walking into. As far as I’m concerned… as of this moment, Trios does not exist to me. The idea of a contract everyone would automatically assume I’d mindlessly use as a free ticket to a title opportunity I do not deserve is lost in the void. Everything you thought could distract me if you simply bring it up is nothing more than echoes off the concrete walls of an empty room. Only one thing exists in my field of vision right now, and that is Autumn Valentine.

I’m going to do something that quite a few people aren’t willing to do, and that’s be honest about myself for a moment. I have heard several people over the course of the past year, all of whom are very well-respected names in this company’s history, say that they see me as a future World Champion. Believe me, I’m flattered by the praise, but at this moment in time, I couldn’t be any further from that. 2019 didn’t exactly end on the high note I was hoping for, even if I did see the year out with a win, and so far in 2020 I have yet to record so much as a single win. Anyone else in this same position would begin rattling off a list of excuses, from the interference that caused a no-contest to the idea of me not being the one to eat the fall, but the reality of the situation is that in all of these cases the exact facts are irrelevant because I simply wasn’t good enough to do anything about it. I didn’t stop Bree from showing up where she didn’t belong, and I wasn’t good enough to yield enough of a contribution to whatever team I was on to change the end result in our favor. Maybe someday I will be able to stand at the top of the mountain, but right now? It’s clear I have a lot of work to do still.

The fact that I can stand here and actually admit that is more than can be said about anyone else, which now brings me to Autumn.

Long time no see, huh? It’s funny… the last time we crossed paths was roughly a year and a half ago when we were both on the pre-show of Rise to Greatness battling over the TV Title. I’m sure you haven’t forgotten, nor are you going to let me forget that when you lost the title to me on that night, you weren’t the one I actually pinned. While this is true, it is also true that you weren’t able to break up that pin in time and the end result was the beginning of my second reign with that belt. But to you, the only part of that whole situation that matters is the fact that I didn’t pin you. If we paint a picture using that logic, we get a confusing mess that verifies the end of your title reign without the validation that I proved anything on that night, and I’m afraid that only makes sense in an abstract world where nothing makes sense.

For as much as you’re looking to save face, though, I’m afraid this isn’t some landscape I could dream up if you just give me a pencil and some paper. Reality’s a little more complicated than that.

Deep down, I know you’re fully aware of how true that statement is. For someone who spent so long with some sort of link to Infamous, you would have to be blind to ignore how much this match means to you on so many levels. A win over me validates all your claims that I simply got lucky by beating someone else in that triple threat so long ago, ignoring how much we’ve both evolved since that night. It gives you a small feeling of redemption for losing a title without being involved directly in the fall, and perhaps that win could also be enough to get Sasha to consider the possibility of looking into you and Ryan getting a Tag Title opportunity in the very near future… never mind the fact that the main reason you’re where you are now is because of all that wheeling and dealing to try and see how far old loyalties will stretch until the elastic finally gives up. For everything you hope to gain from beating me, you’re ignoring crucial pieces of the puzzle as to why you even need to win in the first place, and this is a puzzle that will take far more than just one win to solve… for all you know, the finished picture might not even be the one you’re hoping to see.

There is a significant difference in our perspectives about this scenario, and that will be the key.

A win over you will not be the end-all, be-all for me Autumn, although it will certainly be a step in the right direction. A crucial piece to my puzzle that will not guarantee any specific future for me, but will bring me one step closer to deciding for myself where my destiny takes me next. Perhaps I am destined to be World Champion in the future… maybe there is a space in Trios with my name on it… I will only know for sure once the veil lifts after our match and I walk away with my arm raised in victory, giving closure to this one-sided problem not by proving anything in regards to the pre-show of Rise to Greatness 2018, but by showing you and everyone around us where I’m at now compared to you and how much farther I still need to go. That is the only thing on my mind as I prepare to meet you in that ring, and the more you worry about the past hoping you can somehow change it with one win or focus on where you feel you and Ryan should be, the more I’m afraid you’ll find yourself digging for excuses when the bell rings and you find yourself lacking in the closure you don’t realize has already passed.

After all… the more things change, the more they stay the same, right?