Supreme Championship Wrestling

Full Version: Jake Starr & Jay Gold vs. Aubrianna Powers & Gavin Taylor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
4 RP limit for tag

Deadline: 11:59:59 pm ET Tuesday, July 7, 2020
After every time I walk out of my house, and return with this sense of failure, I wonder what is really going on with me. In my head, I feel like I have a lot left to give. I feel like I can still churn and burn with the rest of the workers. Physically I'm wondering if that is just nothing but me trying to avoid the obvious. Now, I know I'm not the first to have to face this moral conundrum. I'm not the first person to have to face the dreaded "R" word. Hell, there are some who may not succeed on one day and throw shit at a fan and decide that was the last straw. But that's not me. I've avoided this word. I've hidden from it. I've ignored its existence. But lately, lately, I have been the one hearing it used synonymously with my name more and more. It doesn't just reside in my own head anymore, but instead with pundits and critics. For once, it's spanning outside of my own world, and beginning to migrate into parts I'm not comfortable with...

---------

As Jake sleeps, quotes begin to flush through Jake's head.

Ross Twiddell: ... It's definitely a WTF MOment with Jake Starr, the former World Champion, the Hall of Famer, is walking around backstage at the penultimate pay-per view to the biggest event of the year, being a bloody bookie for Taking Hold of the Flame? Putting bets on who knocks Sienna out when? When did Jake forget that the point of the match is for him to just eliminate everyone? Why bother with the bollocks of worrying about others eliminating people, when it's your job?

Bryan Alverez: You know, it's really unfortunate to see. Jake Starr was this guy you could count on for big matches and big moments in SCW, and he's kind of fallen, you know?

Dave Meltzer: I don't think it's necessarily that he's fallen. I think it's a war of attrition. I think he's bent over backward for so long, he's just broken beyond repair...

Bryan Alvarez: But that's the thing, why is he even bothering wasting time anymore? He's had something that was organic and magical, and now just looks like a shell.

Dave Meltzer: He does look like a shell. But hearing what he said before Taking Hold of the Flame sounded like someone who might have that new look on life.

Bryan Alvarez: And he turns around and loses to Christy Matthews, when he had a big chance, after another big promo. At some point, talking only does so much and you have to realize it's time to move on.

Dave Meltzer: True... But how many times have we seen those exact people holding on for too long, thinking they could change the course of history, and instead just continue to become a caricature of who they once were? Part of me thinks he wants to redeem himself. But another part of me thinks he's just spending a lot of time that he could be at home and enjoying life rather than tarnishing what he spent years building...

---------

In my world, I have never felt this way. I have never experienced this. Usually all of this has always just been noise that I was able to ignore. But for once, it's all resonating. It's all sits in my head and festers. I do my best to quell it. I do everything I can to put new thoughts, work thoughts, home thoughts, thoughts about my family, anything there, but time after time, I begin to remember the words of others continue to creep in. Some are real, some aren't. Nevertheless they all are there.

I've looked to those around me. I've talked to my wife about the recurrences. I've even talked to my daughter. They both are in the boat that says I need to begin looking at giving it up and moving on to a new life and a new career. They've not minced words. It used to be one of those things we talked cryptically about. They have hinted at the issue time after time, but in the past they wouldn't be so direct with it. Nowadays though, it's blatant. It's in my face. It's my family telling me that they have ultimately lost faith in my ability to perform at the caliber that I hold myself.

It sucks...

It hurts...

Your family is someone who you turn to for every aspect of support that you need. And I don't have that. Instead, I have more criticism. I have more doubt. I have more people telling me that my days are over, and it's time for me to embrace that "R" word, and accept a life of watching people do what I STILL LOVE, from afar.

Family...

Family...

---------

Back in dreamland...

Roeper Hart: Babe? Can I talk to you?

Roeper Hart: You and I both know things aren't going like you want. And that's normal. Jake Starr WAS something special when he first walked into SCW, and it lasted for a long time. You did something with your career you didn't think you could, let's be real. You hadn't wrestled in years, and then you walk out there, start capturing titles, and you've EARNED your spot in the biggest Hall of Fame there is. You've achieved basically everything you can. Sure, if you want to nit pick I'm sure there are things you haven't done, but in the end, everyone has that. Not everyone wins everything. Not everyone even comes close to winning as much as you have already done.

So maybe it's time to step back? Maybe it's time you come home to us, and enjoy the sport from a fan's perspective and our perspective? Maybe it's time we all just enjoy something, a vacation, a wrestling event, hell, a movie, together?

Mara Jade Hart: ... You're wasting your time, Dad, and I'm sick of it. Growing up, it didn't matter what you did, how you looked, or anything like that. As I grew up, I had people trying to bully me, and friends reminding them who my dad was, and ultimately, in the end, nothing ever happened to me. I was safe. Teachers, friends, whomever, I had a shield around me. But I'm getting to a point in my life where I don't want to just be "Jake Starr's Daughter." I want to be Mara Jade. It got to a point where everyone wanted to hang around me to meet my dad. They didn't care about me. They didn't care about hanging with me. Instead they wanted to meet the badass Jake Starr.

But now... Now it's not that way, Dad. Now, instead of facing people trying to be my friends, they laugh at me. They mock me. Why? Because they think that the only reason I am who I am, or what I accomplish is because of you, and with you not doing as well, they run their mouth always. Dad... Face it... You're not who you once were...

---------

AGH! It's... It's too fucking much for me... Why?! Why can't people believe in me or see what I see? Why the fuck does nobody believe in me?

---------

Fan: Jake Starr is giving up...

Fan: He doesn't have it anymore...

Fan: Failing bookie and failing wrestler...

Fan: Thank God we have YouTube to see his highlights instead of this drivel...

---------

NOBODY KNOWS WHAT I'M FACING! NOBODY KNOWS THE PRESSURE! BELIEVE IN ME! FOR FUCK'S SAKE BELIEVE IN ME!

---------

Out of nowhere Jake sits up out of bed, sweating, and breathing hard. He begins to look around and try and get his bearings of where he is. As he realizes he's in his own bedroom, and feeling the sudden jerk, Roeper wakes up and sits up beside him.

Roeper Hart: Jake... What's wrong?

Jake Starr: I... I...

Roeper Hart: Another nightmare?

Jake is panting.

Jake Starr: Nobody believes in me... Nobody buys into what I say... Nobody thinks I'm anything more than a comedy act...

Roeper sighs.

Roeper Hart: Jake... If I ever contributed, I didn't mean to. All I've wanted to do is try to help you look at the situation from every direction...

Jake Starr: I... I know...

Roeper Hart: Babe... I promise I won't say another word. You have my word, this is your decision, and your livelihood.

She embraces Jake, leaning her head on his shoulder. Jake continues to pant, and looks down. He eventually takes a deep breath and reaches over for his phone, and sends a text that Roeper catches an eye on, simply saying, "Can we talk?" Knowing Jake is in a emotional roller coaster, she trusts that it isn't something to worry about, or Jake wouldn't have done it in front of her. She just lays on his shoulder, trying to calm him down before trying to encourage him back to sleep.

------------------------------------------

Jake Starr: When I walked into Taking Hold of the Flame, I made a big decision in my life. That decision was to not try and rest on my laurels and be the guy I used to be. I decided to move on and move forward with my life. I decided that I would be a new version of myself. Not really a "version," but who I should have been for a few years now. Now, the thing is, just because I have accepted the closure of my past and allowance of me being whomever God intended me to be going forward, doesn't mean this is some kind of gimmick. This doesn't mean that Jake Starr is going to adopt a new nickname, or claim to be "new and improved," or "better than ever." Instead... I'm just Jake Starr. Yeah the nickname "The Social Misfit" will always follow me, but what it represents is more than a decade old, and doesn't apply in 2020.

I am who I am, and nicknames, gimmicks, whatever you want to call it, isn't a resurrection of Jake Starr as much as it is something new inside of me that I haven't felt in a long time.

And that truly showed up before my match with Christy Matthews.

Now let's get the cat out of the bag, yes I lost. She beat me, and she earned that victory. But when I was talking, and letting her know my feeling on the match, something changed. It wasn't something wild or crazy. Instead, it was a reminder to me. It was a feeling I hadn't felt in a long time. It was the feeling of one ember beginning to burn inside for this business, and the desire to do what I can to expand on a legacy that, honestly, I'm damn proud of. For once in my life, I'm proud of what I've done, what I've accomplished, and don't feel the "need" to find more to do. The only thing left to do is be me, enjoy being me, and enjoy this business once again.

You see, cutting the promo on Christy wasn't malicious. It didn't feel angered or hostile. It felt impassioned. It felt like me talking from the heart and talking from a place people haven't heard. I wasn't espousing empty words. I wasn't just trying to see how pissed off I could make someone. Instead, I let the world know that a lot of the rage, the anger, everything, had left my body and this time Jake Starr was simply the man ready to go fight. See, this ember, this fleeting light, it reignited itself and it showed me that there is still a passion for this business inside of me. I may not be the best of the best. I may not be the top dog. Instead, I'm a competitor like everyone else, and someone wanting to make another mark on the legacy of SCW.

Now when I say legacy... I'm not talking about trying to gun for the top, or do something so outlandish that people lose their mind. Instead, I want to take a record, a career, a LEGACY that I built, and make it stable again. All of this time over the past few years I've done nothing but ruin something that was so set in stone it took sticks of TNT to bring down. But I did it. I went from Jake Starr, the Hall of Famer, to Jake Starr the joke in the organization. Nobody took me seriously, and rightfully so. Hell, I didn't take myself seriously. I didn't believe in myself day to day, and instead of acknowledging and allowing those who were trying to tell me I sucked to be let through my thick skull, I did what I had always done. I tried to talk louder. I refused to humble myself in any way. I refused to believe that anyone out there would have a MODICUM of comprehension about me and my mentality. I refused to believe that anyone could tell me what I was or wasn't doing right.

I knew me, and nobody could tell me otherwise.

But now what about this legacy of mine that I've started to crumble for myself? What about all of the shortcomings I've had? They don't matter. What matters is I'm walking into another opportunity to take the next step in my career. I mean, both Taking Hold of the Flame and my loss to Christy, those were each opportunities. Everything is an opportunity. This opportunity is one I didn't ever think would come my way. This is one of those moments where SCW is having an official first in its entire history because Jake Starr and the infamous Jay Gold will be teaming together. Two rough and tumble, road-weathered, grizzled, veterans will be walking out there together, looking to get some momentum for ourselves going into Rise to Greatness. It'll also let two staples of SCW lore go out there and show that they both have a little gas in the tank, and are ready to show a little piss and vinegar to a couple of newbies to SCW hallowed halls.

Abrianna, Gavin, let me introduce you to myself. I am Jake Starr, THE SUpreme Champion of SCW. I'm walking out there as a Hall of Famer, and someone looking to make a change of direction in his SCW career and legacy. I've done a lot, but I feel I have a lot left in tank. I believe that putting the likes of Jay Gold, an SCW ICON, alongside Jake Starr, the man who changed SCW FOREVER, you're putting experience together that neither of you are ready for. I'm not saying you aren't capable. I'm not saying you can't surprise the world. You two could, very well, catch Jay or I off guard, but you could also slip up and make your own mistakes here or there. I can promise you that WHEN you do, Jay and I both will take advantage. We will be the first ones to exploit anything that happens.

This is where old school will meet new school, and I promise, no matter where you fall on that spectrum, the outcome will be the same. Everything ALWAYS comes down to experience, and Jake Starr and Jay Gold will bring it.

------------------------------------------

After the night before, sending the text if they could talk, Jake woke up to an affirmative from his friend Shawn Wright. Instead of driving the few miles between his house and his, arguably, longest confidant, Jake elected to walk to try and clear his head from everything the night before. After openly explaining everything to his wife, Roeper completely believed that this was factual from Jake, and also knew that if Jake didn't do just that, Roxie, Shawn's wife, would report back to her.

Jake meanders through the sidewalks in the neighborhoods between he and Shawn's house. The heat has him dressed way down from how he is even when going to the store, simply because he was ready to get out, get over to Shawn's house, and wasn't worried about his appearance in the heat. After what seems like hours of walking in the heat, after a normal amount of time Jake comes up on the block where his friend lives. He walks down the block a few houses before walking up and ringing the doorbell of one of those people he has neglected confiding in for some time. After a couple of moments, Shawn's wife, Roxie answers the door, and sweat or no sweat, embraces the Godfather of their child. She, on a personal level, was excited Jake was coming to see Shawn. Shawn has been that calming, non-dramatic, presence in Jake's life, and many believe Jake needs to begin talking to him more and more.

After a while, Jake agreed...

As Jake walks in, he greets Roxie and apologizes for the sweat. He's quickly ambushed by their son who is always excited to see Jake show up. Jake gives him a big hug before immediately being asked to play wrestle. Jake smirks and promises before he leaves he's reclaiming the Wright Family Title for his mantle at home. Their son quickly uses his historical, and unknowing situational adapted, catchphrase, "well then come and take it!" Jake smirks, and Roxie immediately directs Jake out back, where Shawn is sitting under their awning, watching their back porch TV, barbecuing, and having a glass of bourbon. Since Jake knows the house, as his own, he simply makes his own way toward the back door, and pauses before grabbing a drink of his own. Roxie chuckles as she knows where Shawn keeps his "secret stash," as does Jake, who smirks and raise a glass in her direction before walking out back.

Shawn looks up and sees the, very full, glass in Jake's hand and knows Jake is enjoying a hefty portion of his "top shelf" bourbon.

Shawn Wright: Christ alive, man... Do I need to teach you again how NOT to pour my liquor?

Jake looks down and shrugs.

Jake Starr: Looks good to me...

Shawn Wright: Yeah, me too, and I can tell by the color that's that bottle of EC you got me...

Jake smirks.

Jake Starr: Hehe... Yeah...

Shawn Wright: Why?!

Jake Starr: Heh... Mine is empty!

Shawn Wright: You're a fucker...

Jake Starr: Yeah, but you know I'll replace it...

Shawn Wright: No... Eric will...

Jake Starr: And? I'm still the go between... Sooooo...

Shawn Wright: Dickhead...

Jake smirks and walks over under the awning and sits down next to Shawn before taking a sip, and Shawn quickly engaging his dearest friend.

Shawn Wright: So what's on your mind, dude?

Jake Starr: Jesus... Not even going to let me enjoy this first drink, first?

Shawn Wright: You really want me to believe you didn't have some before you came outside?

Jake Starr: Ok, shut up, fair point...

Shawn Wright: See...

Shawn chuckles.

Shawn Wright: ... Now spill it...

Jake takes a big gulp of his drink.

Shawn Wright: ... Ok unless you're replenishing MY STOCK tonight, slow down on the good stuff...

Jake smirks.

Jake Starr: ... I already sent Roxie with some cash and made a call for an order for you...

Shawn rolls his eyes.

Shawn Wright: ... Ugh...

Jake Starr: Now... Should I be serious?

Shawn rolls his eyes.

Shawn Wright: For the love of God...

Jake Starr: Alright... Seriousness... I'm at a point where I don't know what I'm doing, man...

Shawn Wright: What do you mean?

Jake Starr: In the business. I don't know anymore. The more and more I change, the more and more I grow the fuck up, the more and more people seem to doubt me? They seem to criticize me online and to my face? Like, usually, none of this gets to me. None of this bothers me. Shit, usually I just throw it back in their face, but I don't feel right doing that. I feel like shitting on fans, critics, my family, I have no argument. I have no justification to say "no you're wrong." Instead I hear their words and they're valid. They are speaking the truth. So I don't know what I'm doing anymore. I don't know why I'm doing anything anymore.

Shawn takes a big swig, and sets his glass down.

Shawn Wright: Retirement... ?

Jake takes one sniffle and looks the other way. He slowly nods.

Shawn Wright: Yeah, I've been there. Yeah, I was there. There was a difference though... I was ready. You're not...

Jake Starr: But everyone...

Shawn cuts him off.

Shawn Wright: Shut up... I was ready for a reason to leave. You had a baby, and Roxie got the fever. It was my NEED to get out. It was my NEED to be done with the business. I was ready. People also were, but I needed a reason to do so for my own mental clarity at the time. I needed my chance to say, "oh this is my reason." I NEEDED it. I can't emphasize it enough. But you're talking about criticism. You're talking about someone else just saying "you can't cut it."

Jake... I know you... When I heard you talk at Taking Hold of the Flame, I KNEW this would be something you would face. I KNEW this would be a moment that would cross you...

Jake Starr: Then why not tell me?

Shawn Wright: It isn't my place to tell you it's coming because then it doesn't make YOU think. And that is what you are doing, and you are uncomfortable with it. The fact is, what you said that night was you were closing a chapter. You were ENDING a chapter of your life you never wanted to stop writing because you were SCARED. You didn't know what was on that next page. You didn't know what lay ahead so the "Social Misfit," the "Starr Martyr," all of that kept repeating itself. You went safe, for YOU. This is you facing something that isn't safe, Jake. You're facing voices that, you just fucking said, you used to challenge. You used to be the guy who, when someone would criticize you, you'd have a comeback to make them feel even more stupid.

You closed THAT chapter...

This chapter of Jake Starr isn't someone who is looking for an easy comeback, Jake. This chapter of you isn't the type looking for a battle of words to see who can make who feel dumber. Instead you're hearing a lot of criticism that the "Starr Martyr" tuned out. You're hearing the words that MANY in this business hear. Nobody can please every person. Someone is going to hate something, and right now, those numbers are growing in your eyes. But YOu DON'T KNOW THAT! You don't know some of these people have been shitting on you every day, and you just ignored it in the past. They could have been there all along. But SCW changed you. It changed your mentality. YOU... YOU, MOTHERFUCKER, said it. It changed you to realize that you're not in that place where you're fighting a war of messaging. Instead, you're fighting a war against competition...

Jake takes a drink, and sets his cup on the outdoor table.

Shawn Wright: ... You know I'm right. You've NEVER listened to your critics. Instead you've always listened to your inner monologue. You've always listened to what made Jake Starr, the "Social Misfit," feel best, and give him the ammo he needed to fire back.

But you closed that chapter, and you meant it. You didn't realize HOW MUCH you meant it at the time, but YOU MEANT IT. Now you're unfamiliar ground and you're fighting battles you've never fought. So you're scared. You don't know what else there is around a corner, but you're the type who wouldn't have put himself in the position unless you were ready. Now it's fucking time you prove it. I'm not going to sugar coat this, Jake. You've put yourself in a bubble your whole career. You could do no wrong. Nobody was better than you. You were "The Immortal." Why? Because you believed it, and knew how to make others believe it. Then everyone came to reality and knew you were full of shit. You weren't invincible. And now, you're entering that reality. You're walking into a world you're scared of, and have never faced, and you don't know what to do...

Jake looks down, again.

Jake Starr: I know...

Shawn Wright: Well why don't you do what I did?

Jake Starr: Retire?

Shawn Wright: No... Accept that there's a new chapter in your life. Accept that things aren't the same shit they were back in the day. Accept that you're not the Superman you once were, but still DO have something to offer.

You're not a martyr anymore. Nobody needs to be that anymore. You, Jude, and I were the martyrs who took those steps. You're the last one standing, and it isn't because you're fighting the same battle. You're the only one who still has that fire. Jude and I, we moved on to family only. You're a stronger man than us because you can do both. We didn't. Now that you are at our point, that speech you gave, shows you have the fire to COMPETE, but you don't need to fight the fight for martyrdom. We all achieved that goal when we became the guys nobody wanted anymore. You became the FACE of that fight when SCW said "fuck the rest, we are taking a chance."

Quit being a guy who thinks he STILL has to be something he's being compared to. What else is there to compare you to? Nothing. Create that argument. Create that comparison. Make them see the fucking martyr going head to head with the man who DID end the martyr's fight. Show them Jake Starr wants to step up and fight, but not just be a shell, an impression, or someone rereading a chapter in his own life. Go out there and show Jake Starr accepts his past, but is moving on, not in words, but in actions. You've talked about it before. You've said you weren't going to be a "Social Misfit" before. This is the first time any of us believe you, and THIS is why. You're not making excuses. You're hearing the criticism and wanting to beat it. So stop bitching. Go do something. Take it one day at a time. Make that conversation something these critics have to have with themselves about who you are in 2020, and not who you're TRYING TO BE back from 2010.

Jake Starr: ... I just want to succeed...

Shawn Wright: Jake... The way you closed the chapter on OUR past, was way overdue. Your career couldn't end with that moment. Now it's time for you to decide if that ending was supposed to happen years ago, or you're just a stubborn ass, and going to make the most out of what is left to come. You've succeeded in everyone's eyes but your own. So write this chapter. Let whatever seeds are already in your soil stay buried, but plant your own and remember this... "A seed neither fears light nor darkness, but uses both to grow."

Now... Grow, brother...

With those words, Shawn picks his drink up again, and takes a swig, looking back up at the outside television. He glances over at Jake, who is staring, uncomfortably, in many directions, and smiles, knowing that maybe, just maybe, he got through to his friend. Regardless he is making his friend think, and he can go back to cooking dinner for the rest of Jake's family, who, once he knew Jake was coming over, had Roxie organize the dinner party going forward.

Jake reaches over and chugs the rest of his drink, and goes to stand before looking at Shawn and shrugging. Shawn figured Jake would go for more, and expects a night that, before all is said and done, the two simply stand outside and enjoy a drunken night of BS'ing together. As Jake gets ready to walk inside he looks back over at Shawn. Shawn glances over, and Jake nods at him multiple times. Shawn gives one, singular, nod, and goes back to watching TV, trying to not make Jake feel like this was any kind of "I told you so," or "gotcha" moment, but instead one where friend and friend open up, and not hide the truth, but instead be candid.
VERY BUMPY ROAD

DATE:  Wednesday, July 1, 2020
TIME:  4:45 P.M.
CITY:  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

[I just can’t stand it anymore!  I am actually depressed that Breakdown is tonight, and no, it’s not the fact that I’m not booked that is making me depressed.  Being in action can only help matters right now.  The fact of the matter is that I’m depressed because I know I will have to see Gavin Taylor at the arena, still probably gloating over the fact that he had to cheat to beat me… AGAIN… in the first round of the SCW United States Title tournament.  Some may question my tactics throughout that match-up, but what do you want me to do?  I’m facing a bona fide cheater that doesn’t even care that he cheats!  He KNOWS that he cheats, yet he still does it, thinking that it will get him somewhere, thinking it will get him a championship reign of any sort.  Being he has not yet gotten there his desperation shows more and more with each and every passing day.  Just like how my depression grows more and more each day, both with dealings inside SCW and watching our entire world implode even more, because no one wanted to wear masks in certain parts of the United States when it does make a whole lot of difference!  Even all these demonstrations and protests that are going on, even up in my neck of the woods in upstate New York… many people that go to them do not wear a mask, as if they feel like they are giving both President Trump and Governor Cuomo the middle finger.  On top of that some of the protests aren’t even warranted, including one which occurred less than one minute from my very place!  It happened on my last night home with Martha and Sarah.  All three of us are now completely up at arms, so honestly there is no telling what I might do at any moment.  I have been known to snap in the past, but right now, the cauldron inside me has bubbled right to the top.  I am to the point where ONE more incident could lead to something that I might end up regretting!]

[So that is why they are here, my new lawyers.  Doug Silver and Rachel Carter both stand before me in my hotel room, watching me pace.]

Doug:
“Jay, I have never seen you like this before.  I mean in the past we have gone through quite a bit together.  Having to deal with Al Cohol and Grinder… which in the end at least that ended in respect both ways.  Then the whole debacle when we tried to tag team wrestle in two places at once, which also eventually ended amicably.  We had the good times and we had the bad.”

Jay:
“Doug, listen, I’m sorry, but I don’t feel like a trip down memory lane right now.  I am about moving forward now and seriously do want to do my best to make certain SCW has a bright future.  Which right now it is not having that because of cheating idiots like Gavin, crackheads like Giovanni Aries, and not to mention we have a boss that I’m sorry to say is still naïve.”

Doug:
“I know.  This isn’t the first time you’ve told me this over the past few days.”
[Rachel huffs a little in the background.]

Doug:
“Maybe you should go to Sasha and just ask her directly if she needs help.  Perhaps request to be a General Manager or something and step aside for a bit from active in-ring duties.  It might help you out and help out those that are actually trying to wrestle for a better future for SCW.”

Jay:
“I doubt she would respond to that.  I got that from my cousin Stacy that Sasha has always been stubborn.  Perhaps that should be put in negotiations should Sasha and her legal team fail to get Giovanni’s lackey to drop his silly suing charges against me.  Mr. Hoffman should have known what he was getting himself into when he charged the ring.”

[I hear Rachel’s voice chime in and I turn to her.  Funnily enough she sounds very similar to my sister.]

Rachel:
“That can be done Jay.  As for filing a countersuit against Mr. Hoffman, that is also in the works.  I meant to tell you that when we met shortly yesterday.”

Jay:
“Well thank you for that Miss Carter.”

Rachel:
“You’re a friend of Doug’s.  You can call me Rachel.”

[I nod and then look to my hotel room door.  I am about to head towards it when Doug steps in my path.]

Doug:
“Where do you think you’re going?”

Jay:
“To Breakdown.  I may as well take care of that business with Sasha, and as far as Gavin is concer-”

Doug:
“I’m not letting you go to the arena tonight.  I know you Jay and right now you’re a major powder keg that is just itching to blow his top.  I don’t want you to do anything rash, being Sasha has shown she is still on your side.”

Jay:
“Are you sure about that?  She hasn’t made any sincere move at all to undo what has been done.  Besides… Owen, Alistaire, Aaron, Kelcey, Peyton… they might need more assistance should Giovanni try anything else.”

Doug:
“I’m sure they will all be okay for a night.  You would think Giovanni would know to back off and let things simmer, just like Rachel and I are going to help you simmer, as much as we possibly can.”

[I roll my eyes.  They won’t be successful in that endeavor.  I guess I’ll go along with it though.  At least TRY to cool off some.  It worked at home with my loving and always caring wife looking me in the eyes.]

Jay:
“Alright, fine.  What should I do in the meantime?  A lot of time to pass this evening as I have nothing else planned.”

Doug:
“Come to dinner with us.  We can discuss whatever you want to discuss.  Consider us lawyers with uh…. benefits.”

[Rachel raises an eyebrow and looks over at Doug as she puts her hands on her hips.  Her short curly blonde hair moves, but not much.]

Rachel:
“Say what?”

Doug:
“Oh.  That came out wrong.”

Rachel:
“No kidding.”

[Rachel laughs a little.  Doug looks a bit embarrassed in the presence of his fiancée.  I however have not moved or even gone to smile.  I’ll say this.  I am going to be a tough cookie to crack.  There is just too much bad shit going on this world to accept comedy in right now.  Truly I wish I could let love in like Kelsai does, but no… I’m just not feeling it.]

[I sigh heavily as both Rachel and Doug look over at me.  They both get stern looks on their faces now before all three of us head out to the dinner that Doug had originally planned for him and Rachel.  I’m now a third wheel, but being married, I don’t care.  Anything to get me out of this hotel room and my mind off of some things.  I don’t think it will help, but I won’t ever know if I don’t try.]

DATE:  Wednesday, July 1, 2020
TIME:  6:55 P.M.
CITY:  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

[It took us a while to get seated by the wait staff, but understandably so, being they are very busy, and have to use pretty much every third table, due to safety precautions.  The moment all three of us get to the table we have been brought to, we take off our masks and set them aside.  I am sitting on one side of the table as Doug and Rachel are on the other.  I look over at the two of them, both of them seeming to be content, at least for the moment.  I will say this, even though neither of them are young, they look like a great couple.  I’m hoping but nothing for the best for them.  Thinking about that, perfect topic to distract myself and them from everything else that is going on around us.]

Jay:
“So guys, neither of you told me the date yet.”

Doug:
“Who said you were invited?”

[Doug jests at me, trying to get me to crack a smile, but I’m serious.  Doug is about to speak, but Rachel interjects.]

Rachel:
“Christmas Day, and of course you’re invited.  Any friend of Doug’s is a friend of mine.”

Jay:
“Thanks, um… Rachel.  So, will there be any kind of theme?”

Rachel:
“We’re still working out the details, but I have to be honest.  I LOVE Christmas.  Always loved it since I was a little girl.  I wish it could be every day.  Even though it will be different this year, at least we will get to both remember it as our wedding day, right Doug?”

Doug:
“Yeah.  I can’t disagree with you.”

Rachel:
“Oh I know you can’t.”

[Rachel giggles and is not shy about kissing her fiancée on the cheek, right in public.]

Doug:
“Heh, love you too Rachel.  You and I can do that later though.  I think we have a friend in need in front of us here.”

Rachel:
“That we do.  So Jay, what’s something that makes you happy?”

[That definitely is the question of the night, isn’t it?  I mean several things have made me happy in the past and of course my wife and daughter make me very happy on this very bumpy road that the entire world has had to endure.  It’s just that the negatives currently seem to far outweigh the positives, thus, I don’t know how to really answer her question.  I heavily sigh before at least telling her and Doug something.]

Jay:
“Martha and Sarah both make me very happy, despite the issues Sarah had several years ago that seem to have melted away.  They both wanted me to return to SCW, especially my daughter.  She was sooo apologetic about being the reason for why I was away from the wrestling ring for so long.  I feel all I have done is disappoint her since being back in SCW.”

Doug:
“Hmm, turning a positive into a negative.”

Rachel:
“Jay, as a friend now, please don’t do that.  At least try to stay positive.  It’s the only way to cure what’s ailing you.  I know it’s hard.  For a time in my life I was going through a similar state of mind.”

[She sighs and drops her head down some, but picks it up herself.]

Rachel:
“But then I found Doug.  He really has made all the difference.  And hey, you have a wife and daughter that love you very much and it definitely appears that the feeling is mutual from you to them as well, so…”

Jay:
“So…?

Rachel:
“When times get rough, even when you’re not with them, think about them and only them.  I think you’ll see the difference.”

Jay:
“That is definitely worth the shot.  Thank you for the advice Rachel.  Hey Doug, you have yourself a great gal sitting next to you.”

Doug:
“That I do.”

Rachel:
“Aww gee, thanks.”

[She glows a bit red but it simmers pretty quickly.  We continue small talking for a bit before a waitress comes to take our order.  After she does the two of them talk some and leave me to think, as they can both see that my head is clouded with thoughts.  Rachel is right though.  I have help.  Maybe not in SCW, but I definitely have my cheering section back at home that I love very, very much.  Perhaps it’s time to truly move forward and deal with the shit that’s being put in front of me in whatever way I want to deal with it… you know, within reason.  Though then again, I do have lawyers to back me up, just in case if things get out of hand.  So in a way, even though they aren’t affiliated with SCW, I guess I do have friends when I need them.  Hopefully Sasha sees this.  Hopefully she will see that I’m not kidding when I said I had hired lawyers just in case if she and her team couldn’t get the job done.  As far as the other SCW issues, they will be dealt with… the Jay Gold way.]

[For the first time since I was last home, I do find myself cracking a bit of a smile.  It gets caught by both Doug and Rachel.]

Doug:
“Glad to see that you are feeling a little better.”

Jay:
“Yeah, a little.  Thanks you two.”

Rachel:
“Not a problem.  That’s what friends/lawyers are for.”

[Rachel gives me a casual wink just as our appetizers arrive.  They’re only salads, so nice and quick.  I am hungry so I dig in immediately.  The two of them take a few moments before they start eating as well.  At least we will all leave full from here, even if not fully happy.  With the two of them around though, seeing them together, I can’t help it but to feel that not all hope is lost.  There are people in this world that do care.]

DATE:  Tuesday, July 7, 2020
TIME:  10:18 P.M.
CITY:  St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.A.

[I have been busy over the past week.  I obviously did not attend last week’s Breakdown, at the advice of both of my lawyers.  In a way they accidentally protected Gavin Taylor and Giovanni Aries from certain trouble that they deserve to face.  Tomorrow night though neither of them will find protection, as I am scheduled to compete.  As much as I have taken Doug’s and Rachel’s advice, I told them earlier today, business must be handled, which they agreed.  They just told me not to go overboard.  I couldn’t promise that to them, but I told them I wouldn’t do anything illegal that would get me rightfully sued.  As far as Giovanni and his goon squad goes, if they don’t try anything that messes with SCW’s future, they can all walk out unscathed for all I care, that is as long as Mr. Hoffman chooses to correctly drop the lawsuit he wrongfully filed against me.  If not, well, let’s just say a countersuit will kick him in the ass, being he has clearly been properly trained to do battle.]

[Of the utmost importance tomorrow night is to get rid of SCW’s biggest distraction.  Him cheating against me a third time is not going to fly.  If he does it yet again, well, I may as well express my thoughts out loud, so he will hear them.  He needs to.  Besides, I also got him something.  A special present of sorts…]

Jay:
“This has been nothing but a bumpy road, ever since I returned to SCW.  I never imagined the things that would ensue, both inside SCW and outside.  I never imagined the chaos that the entire world would be flung into, yet here we are.  Now, I have always been a passionate soul and that is never going to change, no matter what I do, no matter where I go, and no matter who I have to deal with.  So I’m going to get right to it.”

“Aubrianna, welcome to SCW.  I know you are already referring to my tag team partner for a night Jake Starr and I as relics, and that we should be long gone.  You believe that just because we have years upon years in the wrestling business that we should just bow out and let youngsters like you and Gavin Taylor take center stage.  Here’s the deal.  I have no problem with sharing the stage with the younger athletes.  I respect quite a few of them around here, as I know quite a few of them respect me.  Those whom I respect may not be tightly nit families like all the cliques that roam the halls of SCW, but respect definitely goes a long way to showing the world what kind of athlete and what kind of person you are.”

“You Aubrianna are a clone, plain and simple.  Look around SCW right now.  You are calling yourself the Most Valuable Powers.  Gavin Taylor refers to himself as The All-Star.  Glory Braddock calls herself the Best In The World.  Matt Hodges calls himself World Class.  Syren for a long time called herself the best woman in wrestling today for quite a number of years.  The list goes on and on, and I really don’t care to continue with it, because even though you’re young, I’m sure you get the point.  You are admitting that you want to step on anyone you can on your way to championship gold and accolades, but here is the thing.  What happens when you become just like Gavin Taylor and are able to succeed in accomplishing what you want to so badly do?”

[I pause, but only for a moment, just allowing the words to sink into Aubrianna’s head.  I’m only helping her here, not hurting her.]

Jay:
“You will become desperate.  You will do things that you will regret.  Trust me Aubrianna.  A lot of us here in SCW have been down that very bumpy and very dark road.  It takes a lot of forgiveness to come back from that.  I do get that you are young and hungry, and I do get that you want to make waves right away, and I’m sure you will.  But running with Gavin Taylor is just not the right answer.  Let me give you a quick tip about Gavin.  He competes to the best of ability… only when he chooses to do so.  Otherwise he is just too busy committing crimes, breaking into the SCW vault and stealing old defunct SCW championships.  That’s why he was scheming last week.  He doesn’t care about you.  He cares about getting under the skin of others.  I mean look at him, he interrogated a referee and Sasha just lets something like that go, without even a slap on the wrist.  Someone delivers a piledriver to someone else and they get suspended for thirty days.”

“Now I want to move forward, but it really is hard to Aubrianna when I see so much shit that your partner for tomorrow night is getting away with, while others get suspended for wrestling moves.  Hell years and years ago City Boy put my WIFE through the announcers table, for no fucking reason whatsoever!  Oh he paid for it in the ensuing ambulance, but that isn’t the point here.  The point is that SCW has changed, and not for the better.  I know I’m only back because of my wife and daughter, but while I am here and quite a bit older now, turning 40 next May, I want to leave SCW in a better place.  Just like I’m sure several of the other recent returnees want to see.  Like David Helms.  Like Cid Turner.  Hell, I’m sure even Matt Hodges cares at least a little, despite always being full of himself.  You and Gavin however, as of right now, neither of you care.  That will show tomorrow night when you are both in the ring, standing across from myself and Jake Starr.  And I know you’re concerned about Chairee, Aubrianna, but I’ll get Jake to put his little steel friend aside for one night.  It’s simple really.  With the way I feel right now, he won’t need it!”

[I can’t help it but to sneer and then turn away from the camera I had set up in the room.  I get out of view of the lens for a short bit of time and pick up something I have been working on over the past three days.  Just finished it a short time ago actually.  Good handiwork too, not one of my strong suits, but it looks nice.  Time to show it off to a special someone.]

Jay:
“However there is something that you need Gavin.  I have a little present for you.  No longer will you need to play safecrackers to get to the old SCW title belts as I made you one that is perfectly suited for you.  Here.  It’s the “I’m So Full Of Myself” Championship and I will personally present it to you tomorrow night!  It looks really nice!”

“Anyways, that’s tomorrow night.  Tonight is tonight.  Tonight I am asking you right now about how it feels to face Selena Frost and be humbled?  Because honestly Gavin you didn’t even put up a fight.  All you put up in defeat are excuses.  Just like you put up excuses for your poor performance during the Trios Tournament.  If you had actually tried that night… Xander, myself, and yes, even YOU… could have at least got past round 1 and lived to fight another match.  But no, you were all about yourself.  You were worried about being put at risk just because I chose Xander Valentine to be on the team.  Here is the thing.  I didn’t pick you, nor would I ever pick you.  You could have just went to Sasha and told her to randomize someone else to compete in your spot.  You didn’t think about that though because YOU are the true glory hog here in SCW.  Not me.  Not Jake Starr.  Not Selena Frost.  YOU!  That is why this new championship belt I have christened for you makes so much sense!”

“What else makes sense is that only ones like you and Aubrianna would believe that Jake and I don’t belong in SCW anymore.  Look around Gavin, because a LOT of SCW hall of famers and names of the past have been returning over the past number of months and a lot of us still look REALLY GOOD in that ring.  We don’t have to get by and get famous for cheating at every twist and turn like you do.  You’re young.  You should be more agile and be able to put away the “older regime” fair and square, but you choose to not do so because you are scared of losing.  Which tomorrow night, this time around, you are DEFINITELY losing.  You have gotten two cheap little dupes on me which in the end really haven’t meant much.  You still don’t have a proper championship, which is what you truly do want.  The best part about it, if you keep going on the way you do, you will NEVER have a proper championship.  You will NEVER have that stardom and fat paycheck that you are so desperately desiring.  You will just be stuck on repeat for the rest of your wrestling career.  I may be almost 40 and be considered as past my prime, but at least I want to move forward.  I want to give whatever else I can give to SCW before I really do have to hang up the wrestling boots for the last time.  Even YOU should be able to understand that I’m not trying to hold someone like you down Gavin.  Sasha should know that I’m not trying to hold SCW back from being better.  I’m here to HELP the future, not hinder it.  You don’t see me begging for title opportunities.  You don’t see me trying to end people’s careers.  And you don’t see me crying out for attention like Giovanni Aries is, like Sienna Swann is, like Syren is, and like you and Aubrianna are.  Nope, I am just SOOOO looking forward to getting into that ring tomorrow night and defeating you… MY WAY!  Because what I am sick and tired of is you whining, complaining, and cheating all the damn time!  Tomorrow night, it ends… and maybe, just maybe, I can then help SCW’s future, instead of just dealing with someone like you.  Hopefully tomorrow night Aubrianna at least sees some of the light, because maybe she is worth saving.  Time will tell there.”

[I show off the new championship belt I have made for my latest archrival before I head to behind the camera and shut it off.  It’s time for bed.  Tomorrow night is too important to not at least try to get a proper amount of sleep.  SCW’s future could be improved, even if only by a little bit.  It won’t be easy.  It will be a long bumpy road, which unfortunately must be taken in order for the future of SCW to experience Golden Moments to its fullest extent once again.]