Supreme Championship Wrestling

Full Version: Holly Adams vs. Shilo Valiant
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
SCW Adrenaline Championship

2 RP Limit for singles

Deadline: 11:59:59 pm ET Wednesday, May 12, 2021
[Image: 7iel1fg.png]

OOC: Good luck Hayden! Thank you again for agreeing to move this to this week!  Smile
Send in the Clown

Chapter 5: With Only One Leg To Stand On…

Damn you, D.! And damn Canada Post!

I know. An odd way to start another one of these chapters in the ever entertaining story that is my life, but what could I say? That was the thought that was buzzing through my head as my soulmate, Marina, stood there, holding the piece of paper in her hand.

Of course, I had to blame myself, as well. I mean, the reason she had managed to procure that piece of paper was, partially, my fault too. 

Okay, I might as well start from the beginning. To say that I had enjoyed my time the last month and change since retaining the Adrenaline title against Glory Braddock would have been an understatement.

Now, ego aside, I couldn’t help but be proud of myself. Everything that Glory had said about her skills, heart and passion had been true. Right on the mark. And for all the ways I had tried to push her buttons and throw her words back at her – even proclaiming myself to happily be the ‘emperor’ in her mind (seriously, I was certain Marina was going to laugh at me after I had aired that) – she had been made me doubt, about three minutes into the match, that I would last and remain the Adrenaline champion, and you can probably imagine the panic I felt when she had started targeting my knee...

But beating her, a former World Champion, had made me feel a sense of pride. I couldn’t help it. Was I the villain in this merry little world of SCW at the moment? Yeah, kinda. I mean, I wasn’t flat-out ‘evil’ like someone like Xander or Giovanni Aries could be, but I certainly wasn’t the soppy good person ‘trying to do good things by SCW’ like David Helms and Selena Frost – geez, how vanilla can you get with THAT gimmick?! – but in a world where wins were so often accumulated by interferences or ambushes or whatever, there I was with names like Dylan Howell and Glory Braddock in my win list, all done through my own ability. No one helping me or holding my mind or getting involved. 

There’s an odd sense of satisfaction in that. I mean, think about it and tell me I’m wrong. The idea of doing something and being better at it than everyone else despite everyone hating you and wishing you’d get your ass twisted inside out. I can’t be the only person that feels this way! You hate your boss, right? Or someone pisses you off? Doesn’t it feel good to throw their words back in their face or prove them wrong?

Of course it does! And that’s what I felt about where I was at after my last title defence at ‘Retribution’. And, for reasons I’ll explain later – oh yes, there WILL BE a promo at the end of this, I promise you that – I had also decided to put on a little…shall we saw… ‘show’ for everyone watching, from fan to fanatic, from SCW employee to SCW employer – that saw Ace Marshall dress up like some ‘big, bad mystery superstar’ stalk me and attack me that night and in the weeks that followed-

Okay, can I just say about that, am I really to blame that no one else caught on until it was too late? I mean, I have to admit, guys, I am really disappointed in all of you. A guy in a mask was attacking me… A mysteriously masked man was attacking Shilo Valiant.

And don’t think I wasn’t there checking Discord either! From that to twitter to YouTube, I had everyone one of you running wild accusations: ‘It’s Masquerade!’, ‘It’s me, lol!’ – yeah right to that one – ‘It’s Vihaan!’ – Okay, who the fuck is ‘Vihann’?! It sounds like a small town near Newmarket.

I mean, I was surprised that none of you figured out it was me, SCW. Yeah… IT WAS ME, SCW! IT WAS ME ALL ALONG!!! – not ‘me’ as in the handler ‘SCW Male Roster #10’ but me as in me: Shilo Valiant behind it all.  

And maybe I shouldn’t have lead you on with a potential ‘feud-builder’ or whatever you thought it was, and maybe I let the joke run a bit too long, but I couldn’t help it. The longer it went on and you guys didn’t have a damn clue, the funnier it got for me and the more I just had to push it. I mean… I got the boss, Mr. D., to HIRE additional security AND transportation just so I could show up to a damn Breakdown episode! 

Seriously! You can’t write stuff like this! You all work 8-hour or more shift jobs, lots of you minimum-wage and you probably can’t stand your boss, but you can’t do jack about it. Me? I can make Drachster dance to whatever tune I play! And the fact that he can’t really fire me for it because, hey, I’m not Syren or Sienna or those other blonde divas. I’m not trying to weasel out of my matches. I’m not trying to cheat people out of matches with me. I still showed up to wrestle when I was booked – so what could he do?

Well, standing there, in my house – specifically mine and Marina’s bedroom, which Marina had dragged me into rather roughly – that was what my boss could do to me.

“What the hell is this?!” she chose to whisper her words, though the bite and sharpness in her tone was still felt as she held up the piece of paper, turning it so I could read it. Immediately, I recognized the logo of SCW at the righthand corner and from what little I could see of the small print, the address of the head office in Toronto, blah blah blah – my eyes widened a little at the set of numbers that were at the bottom of the page.

“What is it?” I asked, and damn me for not being able to hide the slight tremble in my throat.
“You tell me.” Marina ordered, thrusting the single piece of paper into my hands. “Why is SCW charging you for ‘extra security’ and ‘transportation’?”

Taking a closer at the paper, now that I could, I could see the list of charges that comprised the paper – which, I realized now was an invoice – and I didn’t need more than a second to figure out what it was. 

“Because the boss can’t take a damn joke and admit he was played, that’s why.” I answered with a sigh.

Rather than give a verbal answer, my soulmate crossed her arms over her chest, otherwise not moving – yeah, it was actually worse than her saying something. And being mated to her for about eleven years now? I knew what such gestures meant. It meant I had some explaining to do.

Biting my lower lip, I moved past her a few steps, moving to the doorframe and checking the adjoining the room. Down the hall, my eyes caught the brown carpet, white walls – a mediocre, middle-class, family house – to where the family room was. There, sitting on the couch, completely oblivious to what was happening in the nearby room, was Memphis. Playing Mario Kart on his Nintendo Switch on the television.

With that knowledge, I closed the door quietly and turned back to Marina, the invoice still in my hands.

“Okay…so I played a little prank on SCW.” I started, only to be cut off by Marina.
“A little prank?” she was suddenly closer to me and pointing at the paper as her eyes re-read it. “Where did two hundred dollars of bubble wrap come from?”

Okay, I had to bite my bottom lip at that. I’ll admit, that was more for me and sticking it to Mon Capitain, D.. 

“Well…” I tried. “It was part of the prank. Okay… so I got a wrestler to attack me at the pay-per-view about two months ago so I could play up the whole ‘unsafe work environment’ and to kind of push the envelope, I charged SCW for my transportation, security and I threw that on there too-“

“What were you planning to do with two hundred dollars of bubble wrap?”

Okay… so guys, I am going to tell you what I wanted to tell her and then tell you what I really told her.

What I wanted to tell her, aka the truth: Well, the plan was to wrap the armored car in bubble wrap and when I made my entrance, roll it down the ramp like a red carpet and I was Katie Steward or Syren or Sienna Swann…

What I actually told her: “I needed it to be big enough of an expense so the boss would notice.” With a sheepish shrug before throwing up my hands. “Look, you don’t get it, Marina.” I tried.

“Oh, I don’t? Then please explain it to me.”  I could saw her jaw muscles tighten as she spoke. “Because where I am standing, my mate and husband has to come up with several thousands of dollars worth of money immediately!”

I felt a sigh escape me. “I wasn’t expecting the boss to throw a tantrum like that. He’s let so many other people get away with so much worse. Hell, just last weekend? Chris Cannon put another wrestler through the set! Betcha he doesn’t have to pay for damages. But with me? Over a little prank and a few thousand dollars – far less than the set Cannon destroyed – he goes ape-shit!”

“Language.” Marina warned.
“That’s why I closed the door.” I stated, keeping my voice low. “My point was that Mr. D., after all the crap he let others get away with it, should have taken this and been grateful for the entertainment and viewers I gave him, but he thinks he’s being coy with this-“

With only a sigh, Marina’s eyes lowered to the car. “Why did the car cost more than the security guards?”
“Because it was an armored car.”

Oh fuck you, Shilo, and not thinking before answering!

I saw Marina’s head snap up, her eyes wide. “Are you fucking kidding me?”
“Language.” I mocked – regretting it instantly as I saw her free hand, the one by her side, tighten into a fist. I could almost hear the muscles in her jaw clenching more so than before.

“Marina…” I sighed. “What did you expect?” I finally asked, my mind just giving a screw it kind of mentality. “I wasn’t planning to half-ass this, okay? You knew that when I began this – when I decided to go back to work.”

“I knew-“ Marina corrected. “That you were going to do what you needed to do. That’s what you told me. But I believed that was you working hard to ‘right your name’ or your ‘legacy’ or something! Not cost us thousands of dollars in some stupid prank! Where are we going to come up with that money?!”

“I already have it!” I shot back, my voice rising just a little, catching her a little by surprise. “In case you’ve forgotten how things work in SCW, I get a bonus just by being the champion. $25 000 a month. That’s where the money will come from! We’ll just be out a little of that bonus this month.”

She said nothing at first, simply shaking her head. “You don’t get it, Shilo.” There was more sadness in her voice than anger. “You just don’t get it.”

Without another word, she began walking around the room, fiddling with the clothes of her blue pant suit, removing them from her body as she pushed me out of the way to gain access to her/our closet. It was large enough for two, her items on the left and mine on the right. 

“What are you doing?” I asked as I watched her pull out a dark blue dress that shimmered a little when she moved it just right.
“I’m getting ready for tonight.” She replied simply. “Maggie will be here in about two hours.”

Now, you may think that, as a typical man in this story, that I would have no idea what my wife was referring to. And, for those few seconds, you’d be right. But at the mention of Memphis’ babysitter’s name – a young girl that lived, actually, just down the street from us, the lightbulb went off in my head.

See, since Marina or I pick up Memphis from school and Marina essentially works the hours Memphis is at school, and I’m…well, I’m me… we barely have need for a babysitter. 

Except for planned nights like these. Date nights.

Sounds cliché, I know, but I did mention that Marina and I had been mated going on 11 years now, remember? So for those of you that have no idea what that is like, don’t judge. And for those of you that do, I imagine you get the importance of nights once or twice a month that can be devoted for couples in such a position. 

It was something Marina and I had agreed upon when we had settled down – or rather, I had settled down from wrestling (she had done so earlier than me), and we had left everything behind from the past: The Kings of Shadow, the Empire, and all that we were to both. When we had become… ordinary people… for lack of a better term, Marina and I had made a plan to take each other on dates at least twice a month. With a tighter budget than when we were wrestlers, that was the best we could do, but it had been enough. Going for dinner or seeing a movie or a play in Guelph or even Toronto, mini-golfing or whatever came up within the city. 

“So, we’re still doing that?” I asked, unable to hide the surprise in my voice. “After the tongue-lashing you gave me?”

At this point, Marina had wrapped a long towel around her naked self. “I already made the reservations for us.” She stated simply before excusing herself from the room to slip across the hallway and into the bathroom, leaving me to my thoughts… and the invoice.

Okay, so I want to make something clear here. I am not an idiot, okay? I know that there were some risks in the prank I pulled on SCW and ‘His Majesty’, Mr. D.. But, at that point, standing in the room, I couldn’t see what the problem was. I was making MORE money than we were playing. Hell, with this being my fourth month as Adrenaline champion, I had already wracked up a near $75 000 in bonus pays! And like hell I was going to do all I could to keep those bonuses coming, but even if I did lose the title – and let’s face it, I was going to one day, whether I liked it or not – it wasn’t like I was doing pranks like that all the time or blowing through the principal of my salary! 

In short, despite me not being an idiot, I didn’t see why Marina was so mad at me for spending a bit of that bonus….

Now, I could go on with this train of thought, but, trust me, it’s better if I show you how it comes up later. So, let’s fast forward a little bit. I made a wireless transfer of money to SCW to pay off the ‘invoice’ immediately, followed by a therapeutic ripping up of the invoice into tiny pieces and throwing those pieces into the air so I could dance a little as they fell down like snowflakes and I was Winona Ryder in Edward Scissorhands. Following that and cleaning up said mess, I played a little Mario Kart with Memphis until Marina was finished getting ready for our ‘date’, allowing me to use the washroom next to do the same.

So, fast forward to about three hours later and Marina and I are seated inside The Keg Steakhouse + Bar, at a medium-sized table right by the ‘fireplace’, our face masks to the side so we could eat and not many people around us for similar reasons – the pandemic and all, but I figure most people don’t want me to go into that too much here so let’s just say… it’s a thing here in Guelph too. 

Anyway, we hadn’t spoken much beyond what we were ordering. I had gotten the Ceasar salad to start off, whereas Marina got the bacon-wrapped scallops. Despite the quietness in her voice, however, she had offered me a few of the scallops and I had, in turn, split my salad with her….

What? Couples do that. They can split their orders and try a little of everything! 

When it came to the main orders, we had chosen the same thing: the steak and lobster combo, and from that point on, we had just quietly enjoyed out meal, not saying much as we let the silence, like the food fill us.

But I did promise you something, didn’t I? And you just know that silence can’t last forward, fragile as it is. Can be broken with a simple word. Like how Holly was ‘broken’ by a simple tackle – cheap shot, I know, promo material, but let me go on:

“Shilo…”

My name being called was what broke the silence between us and I looked up to see my mate simply looking at me, her expression… well, it wasn’t really mad yet. It was more tired. Tired and worried. Does that sound worse to you guys? I know it doesn’t, but seeing that expression, I just felt worse than I did a few hours ago in our room.

“I’m…I’m trying.” Marina spoke slowly, her plate practically empty from the food. “But I just can’t wrap my head around what you’re doing.”

With a sigh and still half a lobster a third of steak left, I settled my hands into my lap, feeling the black dress pants and smooth fabric of my dress shirt. “Honestly, Marina… I didn’t think he’d stick me with the bill. I thought that he’d just get annoyed and just try and use it to force me to ‘appear’ and fight Holly Addams.”

“But that’s just it.” My brown-eyed love pressed. “You’ve wrestled there for over a decade, on and off. You should have known this would happen.”
“Well, in my defence-“ I tried to counter. “At the time, it was Sasha in charge and I have no idea how that-“
“No defence, Shilo, please.” A sigh came from her, showing more of her frustration than anything else. “Do you even know why I’m upset at you about this?”

Okay… so guys, I am going to tell you what I should have told her and then tell you what I really told her.

What I should have told her: ”Yes, my dear. I understand that you’re concerned that I’m wasting money frivolously. At a time where we are still under tight constraints with the budget-“ etc. etc.

What I actually told her: “No. No I don’t.”

We sat there for a moment, simply staring at one another as my words settled. “Truthfully, Marina, I don’t understand why. Yes, my ‘prank’ backfired on me a little – more than I planned, but think about what it did! I put focus on me and the Adrenaline title. I had people tuning in and watching, wondering what the hell was going on –“ without meaning to, I’ll admit, my hands and arms started moving a bit, trying to act out, a little, what I was trying to convey to my wife. “’Who’s this mysterious guy? What’s up with Shilo? What’s he going to do?’ All this mystery surrounding the Adrenaline title and them guessing like a bunch of idiots, trying to get it right when they had no clue – hell, the boss had no clue! I do that, keep them on their toes and, yeah, I have fun, but I also get viewership power – I’m the guy that brings up the ratings. I’m the guy that’s getting more people to watch SCW. So that when I renegotiate my contract, I have more say and give us-“

“Wait…stop.” A small hand being held up by Marina effectively halted my near rant. “’Renegotiate your contract’?” she asked, her eyes a little wide. “How long do you plan to go wrestling like this?”

The question caught me off-guard easily, mostly because it wasn’t something I had ‘planned’ at all. “I….Until I stop having fun, I guess?”

Her expression seemed to morph before my eyes, from surprise, to disbelief, to further disbelief (yes, it is possible), to slow frustration.

“So that’s what this is all really about, Shilo? Having fun?”
“No…I mean, yes-“

An irritated huff escaped her. “I knew it.” She whispered. “You said it was ‘ending things on your terms’ – that’s what you said at the beginning.”
“And it is!” I started. “I didn’t want me bowing out at the Shot of Adrenaline-“
“But where’s that end, Shilo?” Marina interjected. “Where is that supposed ‘endgame’ for you? Is it headlining Rise to Greatness one more time? One more world title run? When do we – me and our son – get to stop worrying about you getting hurt?”

“Marina-“ I tried. “I’m being careful. I promise. I’m not being stupid.”

“Two hundred dollars of bubble wrap say otherwise.” She countered.
“Must I suffer that till the end of time?” I asked. “Marina, it’s money that’s extra-“
“Yes.” Marina agreed. “And what about when you can’t do this anymore? What happens when you go back to being a retired wrestler? What about then?”

I didn’t have an answer, because, honestly, it was a fate I didn’t want to think about.

“We’re not millionaire celebrities anymore, Shilo.” Marina sighed. “We need to take each blessing we get. And not for us – for Memphis.”
“With the money I’ve earned being champion, Marina, just on that bonus alone, he can go to whatever college or university he wants for…like four years at least!”

“Not if you’re spending it like that when you’re no longer the champion!” Marina countered.
“So what?” I gave a shrug of my shoulders. “You want me to ‘just wrestle’? Be boring like everyone else? Do nothing but the same old schtick while others like Ace and Giovanni and Holly rip me off?”

She didn’t give me an answer – and in doing that, she actually did. I was sure in that moment, you can imagine, that that was exactly what she wanted me to do. She wanted me to ‘just wrestle’. To avoid stupid decisions and choices…

“I don’t think you have an end goal.” My wife challenged. “I think you just came back because you were bored being a stay-at-home dad and that you have no desire to end things or even see the end as a possibility. You think the money will just keep flowing in like it use to and you’re afraid to think about going back to our life because deep down? You’re scared that you can’t be anything either than a wrestler or a drug-dealer.”

It was my turn to have my jaw clench at an accusation, and I could feel my teeth pressing so hard against one another. Marina, on the other hand, simply cast her eyes down our table – simple brown wood polished with a sheen coat to make cleaning easier for the staff, I imagine. 

“I saw twitter.” 

The statement came from Marina again, my frame growing more rigid as I listened to her – you cannot imagine how each word she spoke was driving me further and further into frustration and anger. Emotions I didn’t want to feel.

“Tell me I’m wrong when I saw…” her hands were suddenly moving, digging out her cellphone and connecting to the SCW website, where the SCW twitter-feed was posted. A few seconds ticked by until she held the screen up to my face. “This.” 

Fucking D.! I almost growled – literally, like an angry tiger – as I saw the image of mesh and poles on the SCW post, with words of me telling SCW what stipulation I had put in for my title defence on Breakdown. With Holly Addams playing an ‘injury’ with acting that was more hackney than a damn porno flick, D. had, effectively, put the match in my hands – allowing me to pick the stipulation, probably as an apology to the fans and so that I didn’t just demand the match be declared a forfeit then and there so I could move on to Taking Hold of the Flame.

The mystery ALONE was supposed to be enough! The idea that no one knew what I was going to choose. Would I put a contendership of my own on the line? What if I beat Holly and the condition for winning against her was she became MY ‘helper’ rather than A/C Unit? What if I put her hair on the line? There were a million ideas that I could think of and more than that, there were a million ideas that everyone in the SCW Universe could think of! Hell, I had fooled them on a damn Ace-in-a-mask! Imagine what I could do with this kind of power in my hands?

BUT NO! D. had to go and give a ‘spoiler’ because he was so fucking narrow-minded that he thought them guessing it was more interesting and audience-grabbing than keeping the mystery!

Which now returned me to the present, with Marina staring at me, still holding the screen in front of me.

“It’s not a problem.” I stated, reaching up to lower her hand with my own back onto the table.

“The hell it isn’t.” her voice was barely a whisper, but, again, the tone was sharp. “Tell me you didn’t choose that match, AGAIN.”

I remained silent, but I turned my head.

“Shilo.” I heard her order, sounding more like a quiet beg. “Shilo…tell me…”

Slowly, with a turn of my head, I could see the almost delusion in her eyes. The idea that if I, then and there, told her it was anything else, despite her knowing the match structure inside and out – having been in the first one with me and being by my side in the second one when I faced Masquerade nine years ago – she would still believe me. I could have lied and just let her live in ignorance, popping up right after Breakdown seemingly fine – no harm, no foul, no more fighting.

“I chose the match.” I stated. “And yes, I chose ‘Under the Big Top’.”

She just sat there in front of me, even as I waved off the waitress that came to check to see if our food was good and I simply asked for the check, even though there was still food on our plates. Even as I paid for dinner, she said nothing, her face in her hands for a few moments, then looking into the fire in the fireplace the next, rubbing her eyes another moment.

I can’t tell you how much time passed in those moments, and I’m not going to fast-forward again. Truthfully, I did feel guilty not telling her what I had chosen. Did I regret choosing a match that I had just wrestled about nine or so months ago? No. I had reasons for doing so. But I did regret how this was affecting Marina…

“Why?” her voice came as a whisper and, this time, it didn’t surprise me.

“I have too many reasons to mention.” I simply stated. “Not the least of which is preventing anyone like Asher or Cid from getting involved.”

Now, that was probably reason number four or five on my list, but it was the best reason to placate Marina, I was sure of that-

“No…you could have just banned them from ringside.” She whispered.

Okay…maybe not.

“I figured it would also get me to the top of the card – main event-“
“You’re defending the damn Adrenaline title-“ she countered. “Unless they’ve got the world or U.S title there, you’ll be at the main-event!”
“Marina, calm down.” I tried – not wanting to cause a scene at one of our frequent locales.

“No.” I saw my wife, though quite smaller than me, growl her response, and, for a moment, I could see the Black Swan that had wrestled by my side in SCW for years. The woman that had beaten Syren when everyone else had thought that it was impossible. The woman that had saved my life over and over again in Underground, whether it be in the labyrinth or the Garden or against monsters like Ryper or Eclipse. The woman that had suffered in the Tenebrae as I had and had emerged as the Soul Merchant. The woman that had defeated her own father and family and become the Empress… was it foolish to think that I had lost her after so long of her being a pedestrian mother?

“You’re going to get yourself killed.” She stated. “Did you forget what happened last time? When you fought that Blackbourne kid? You were bed-ridden for nearly a week! It took you almost a month to move around normally again! And that was less than a year ago!”

“It won’t be that bad.” I tried to comfort her.
“Not that bad?!” I heard her laugh when she repeated my words. “Shilo – we designed the match SPECIFICALLY to be ‘that bad’! Masquerade fought you inside it because he was certain it would destroy you!”

“That’s not going to happen here, Marina.” I stated firmly. “This isn’t someone that’s interested in hurting me.” I stated. “This isn’t Masquerade or Blackbourne. This is just some Syren-wannabe that wants a title.”
“Then why?!”
“Because I want to-” I stated without meaning to – my brain almost going to the second or third reason that I had chosen the match I had created with Masquerade and Marina in the days of Karnivale. “I just…want to.”

Once more, my answer left Marina silent, though she shook her head at me as if she could not understand or believe the things I had said.

“Then do it.” She whispered, tossing her napkin off her lap and onto the table. “You want to shorten what little is left of your career, do it. Least that way, once they tell you you can’t wrestle anymore, this whole thing will be over.”
“Marina-“

“No, Shilo!” she was already standing, glaring down at me with a heated gaze – literally, I could feel myself growing warmer as she bore a hole into my face with that gaze of hers. “When they asked you to come back, I hated it. Hated it with everything I am, but the idea of you helping younger, newer talent made sense and I knew that you needed purpose in your life. But even when you threw all that away in favour of just having one last run to end things on your terms, I understood. I liked it even less but I understood. You think I don’t wish that for myself? That I don’t, sometimes, wish I could have had some meaningful ending? Maybe team with you one last time as Midnight Boulevard? Or challenge someone that meant something to me?”

She gave a shake of her head. “I didn’t like it, but I supported you in that. But this? I hate it. I hate it and I won’t support it. You think you’re that same young boy running around on rooftops, swinging from ladders, and jumping through mirrors… take a look at your face.”

Oh…nerve hit. I could feel the scars on my skin warming as well – impossible as that was. It started at the forehead, near the temple and ran like a twisted web down the jawline, and part of the neck. It was one thing to have someone like Holly or wrestlers point that out. Hell, when I returned, I even wrestled without a mask in some matches (depending on me, of course), so I was use to the attention it drew. 

To have Marina point it out as if it was a flaw – as if it was MY fault?

“You’re not…” she seemed to look away from me as she spoke. “You’re not that young kid anymore. And I know those scars, not just your face, they all eat away at you. They still eat away at you. But if you want to just keep piling that on until there is nothing left of you, fine.”

She had gathered up her purse and her coat and was already moving further from me. This seemed more of a statement than a true ‘storming off’ as… I mean… I had the car keys and we lived together. Still, I sat there, watching her act out whatever she needed to get her emotions out.

“Beats slowly dying like a rotting corpse.”

Who the hell said that? Even Marina didn’t know as she stopped. Of course, once she turned her attention back onto me, her brown eyes filled with shock, I realized that I had said that. What’s more, I was still talking.

“Maybe you’ve enjoyed having me at home. Being nothing. Being a nobody. But I… I hated it.”

DUDE! WTF?! Why are you saying shit like that?! 

“What’s wrong with wanting the ‘better life’ we left behind, Marina? Huh?” I continued, not really in the driver seat as I ranted. “What’s wrong with wanting to go back there? I was the greatest thing in SCW. WE were the most watched pair in SCW! And we were the leaders of the Kings of Shadows! We had a full and amazing family – we had a daughter-“

“And who’s fault is that that she is gone?”

I felt my eyes narrow at her and my jaw clench. “Do not fucking go there.” I warned, hearing my voice in my ears: cold, threatening, detached and deadly. “Ever since I fought in that match with Aaron, in our final match, I felt alive. I felt like I could do anything! But SCW just wanted me to be a stepping stone for him. They just wanted me to get buried. So, yeah, I decided to have some fun at their expense and now? Yeah, I’m risking a bit here and there and costing us money, but I’m providing for this family again – far more than what your measly paycheck gets us working your 8-4!”

Every word was true. As a social worker, Marina didn’t make nearly the amount of money she use to and no where near what my yearly salary (even if it was at the lower end compared to other legends and veterans got in SCW) was. It was true that I had, once again, become the top provider for my family and, yes, I enjoyed being in such a position rather than rotting away on the couch.

“You want me to go back to waiting on the couch for you and Memphis to get home? To just rot away because, like you said, I’m only good at wrestling and peddling drugs.”
“I didn’t say that-“
“The hell you didn’t.” I fired back. “You don’t want to support what I’m doing? That’s fine. I get it. But I am not going to stop just because you don’t trust me enough to know what the hell I am doing.”
“That has nothing-“

“Yeah, it does. You got pissed because I ‘wasted money’ when it was money we wouldn’t have if it wasn’t for me acting as I have. That bonus came from pranks and jokes like the one I pulled, because I KNEW what I was doing! You get pissed that I’m ‘risking’ my health in dangerous matches – those matches? Gets me noticed. Gets me on the marquee. Gets me higher and higher on the card! Gets me right back to the World title! So stop checking the website and stop watching the show if you can’t stomach, but since you told me what you think about me, let me tell you what I think-“

STOP! DON’T GO THERE! DON’T SAY IT!

“I think it’s more than just wishing. I think you’re jealous because you’re too scared to go back to what we were and what we had. I think you’re too scared because you think that you can’t hang in SCW anymore. And it bothers you when you see me having the time of my life on SCW because you want it. You want to come back and be part of it, but you’re too scared, so you blame me and hold me accountable for it!”

She stared me down, taking every hit my words created. I’ll be honest, I can’t tell if we were making a scene in that moment, because I don’t remember anyone looking at us or coming to us to say so. All I remember is that hurt expression on Marina’s face. Like I said, guys, 11 years… and the eyes gave it away. 

Without a word, she simply walked away, causing me to curse under my breath. Oh, now my brain was working. Now I was actually thinking about what I had said and regretting the choice words. And as you can imagine, the words “Marina-wait…” were quick to leave my lips as I leapt up to my feet… feeling the familiar tearing pain and locking sensation that I had accidentally ‘activated’…

“Oh no…” was all I could get under my breath as my body, still wanting to ‘catch up’ to Marina, tried to push forward, but my knee refused, causing the small uncoordinated movement needed – like tripping over your own two feet – to send me spiralling into the nearby waitress. Fortunately, she managed to jump out of the way as I hit the floor, but the tray she was holding, trays of half-eaten foods and glasses, including mine and Marina’s came barreling down on my, and I could feel the sloshing of cooked meat and mashed potatoes and Caesar salad landing in me-

“Shilo!” the voice that came first was Marina as she saw me and rushed back to me. I was certain I heard the waitress apologizing up and down and I was saying something to placate them all, but my entire focus was on Marina and the fear gripping me. Angrily, though I tried to hide, I grabbed at the bar to pull myself up and with all the effort I had, bend my leg and tried to force the knee to unlock, to adhere to my will! It resisted, fought back, but I couldn’t let Marina see me like this! Covered in food and drink I could deal with, but not like this. Not after all she had said to me and I had said to her…

I felt the joint slowly give and bend, allowing me to control it once more and, before it locked up again, I pushed myself away from the bar and out of the restaurant, taking the napkins that were offered to me by the staff before making my way to our car. I spend a minute wiping off the food and drink as best as I could before tossing the napkins onto the ground in the parking lot and pulling myself into the vehicle. Marina was soon to follow, and I could tell as I started the car and began driving where her eyes were focused on. I could feel the familiar heat of her gaze locked on the biggest secret I was trying to hide.

“Shilo…” she spoke slowly, her hand lifting for a moment, as if to reach out and touch me, but she drew it back. “I won’t ask you… but I want you to tell me I’m wrong.”

So… guys… 

I am going to tell you what I wanted to tell her and then tell her what I really told her.

What I wanted to tell her: Marina, I’m sorry. I’m sorry for everything I said. But more than that, I’m sorry for hiding this from you. My knee is worse off than I imagined. It locks up and refuses to function sometimes. Every day I wrestle, I have to wear a brace to better my chances of it not happening. But I’m beyond scared, every day, that it will never stop or that it will lock and I’ll never use my leg again. I’m scared of what you will think of me. I’m scared of what our son will think of me. I’m just…scared…

What I told her: ……….

The camera opens up to a single spotlight amidst a sea of darkness. The sound of boots are heard walking, drawing closer until a figure, dressed in simple blue jeans and a blood-red t-shirt appears. The figure lifts his head, eyes on the camera as he grins that familiar grin of a jester – Shilo Valiant standing before his audience.

Should I apologize? he tilts his head to the side. Should I apologize to all of you, the SCW fans and followers, for not being able to provide you with what you paid your hard-earned cash at your minimum wage jobs at Burger King for? Should I implore your forgiveness that the Adrenaline Championship match was cancelled at the last moment? 

Well, I could, but first, I will remind you of the clause on every ticket. ‘Card subject to change’. Second, you all are smart enough to know that I was ready to go a weekend or so ago. I showed up, despite the risk to myself…
Shilo winks at the camera. The blame here lays with Holly Addams, but also D. for allowing such a horrible bit of acting, if you can call it that, to be excepted!

I mean…how did THAT get passed the network? How did THAT kind of acting get allowed on pay-per-view? Usually that kind of acting comes with nudity and an 18+ warning along with a required subscription…

The Showman shrugs his shoulders before refocusing back on the camera.

But I digress. It falls to me to save the day and the entertainment. To make up for the shortcomings of both Holly and D. – two people that wanted SO badly for me to either show up to the PPV or be stripped of the title… and then both decide they ‘can’t do it’… Sad…

But here we are, at Breakdown and the match you were all denied WILL happen – with a bit of a twist… How are you feeling about that, Holly? Are you eager to take me on? Are you so certain as you enter MY world? Or are the cracks in your arrogance beginning to show?

With another tilt of his head, Shilo runs a hand through his medium-length hair. Because, let’s face it, Holly, if there is one thing you have been throughout this entire short time your path has been crossed with mine, it has been entitled and arrogant.

You claim relevance! You claim that you will make the ‘makeup wearing’ Shilo Valiant relevant for the first time in over ten years, yes?
Reaching up, Shilo runs a hand down his bare cheek, almost grazing his trimmed goatee beard

Well, let me thank you, Holly. You know, you’re coming into MY match for MY championship and you believe YOU are going to make ME relevant. Need a map and a compass to figure that logic out but let’s see where this goes before I rip it to shreds. he takes a deep breath before shaking his body a little.

So, you want to make 2011 Shilo relevant, yes? Well, let me paint you a little picture of 2011 Shilo Valiant, shall we?

In 2011, I became the SCW World Champion. I also became the United States Champion for a third time and was already an established tag-team wrestler… the hottest young talent who, in two years time, had done more than you have done in…oh… wow… including your time here this year? Let’s go with ‘ever’, alright?
a chuckle escapes his lips.

But you want to bring that makeup-wearing Shilo back, do you? Make him ‘relevant’ again?

Well… color me intrigued… let’s give it a shot!

With a snap of his fingers, the light suddenly goes out, only for a series of technicolor lights to illuminate the room, like a trippy acid trip before settling on the neon lights and the jester standing there, makeup ready!

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NECROPHILIACS AND JUNKIES!

Well, how about that! Holly Addams is magic! She has brought back your Hobgoblin, your Necro-Merchant!, back from the dead – not that I was dead to begin with but hey! This is what Holly thinks she’s facing right? After all, I’ve got my makeup!
Shilo checks over himself, his attire that of his Necro-Merchant days, complete with long hair and face makeup.

That’s what you can’t seem to stop talking about, right? Like Syren and Ravyn in 2010, you’re all about the makeup! And I’m all about the entertainment! And let me tell you, Holly! We’ve got an entertaining match on the horizon! That’s right! You, me, the Adrenaline title! And it’s gonna be high-stakes…high-strung…high…high…NECRO!

The sound echoes into the room, revealing just how empty it actually is, forcing the Necro-Merchant to think for a moment…

Hmmm…maybe this isn’t the Shilo, you meant. Maybe this isn’t the Shilo that should be wrestling you. Bit too egotistical. Bit too naïve. Not enough….over the top for someone like you, right? I mean, after all, Holly, you’re the woman that saw “mesh” and thought ‘barbed-wire bra and panties match’, right? You’re the one that nailed Chris Cannon with a title and thought you were ‘saving Asher and Cid’, right? And least we forgot those ‘oh so funny’ talkshow segments you have where you dress up people as parodies of your parodies- Shilo suddenly snaps his fingers before reaching over in the dark to hold up an old television screen, one that still has dials on it.

I’ve got it! I know the kind of Shilo you want! The original ‘mocker’! The OG “parody master”! Which means…it’s TIME FOR ANOTHER EPISODE OF RUBBER MASK!

The camera focuses on the screen as it suddenly turns on as a familiar television show is played.

I am rubber, you are glue!
It bounces of me and sticks to you!
RUBBER MASK!

Today’s episode: Holly Smokes!

When we last left our heroes, Rubber Mask and Masquerade had been captured by the nefarious Holly-daze, who sought to transform them into cardboard cutouts for her new talk-show! Will our heroes manage to escape and thwart the evil vixen? Stay tuned to find out!

The screen suddenly fizzles and goes to static, as if broken. With a few whacks of a hand, Shilo Valiant is seen smacking the television’s side.

Oh dammit… these old television models. Guess it happens if you stay in the past and don’t upgrade, right Holly? No matter! I’ve got one last Shilo that could be the perfect Shilo for you! The perfect Shilo for you to make relevant once more!

With one last snap of his fingers, all goes black before a familiar large graphic of a big tent appears!

SHILO’S BIG TOP CIRCUS

Join us in our world of fun!
Cause our adventures have only just begun!
With magical friends and learning too!
We have so much to share with you!

The set has changed to the familiar interior of a big top. A second later, from a flash of light, Shilo Valiant, the ring master in his ring master attire, appears, bright smiles across his face.

Hello, my entertainers! And a special hello to Ms. Holly Addams! Boy are we so happy that you brought us back! Giving us the chance to just come out and share our fun and entertainment with the rest of the SCW Universe! Didn’t we miss them, guys?

From nearby, BaBoobs!, the familiar doll with blonde hair and massive breasts, appears!

I HAVE FROSTBITE! BE JEALOUS!

From closer to Shilo, Puppy the Puppet, shows up!

I missed them!

I know you did, Puppy! I did too. But that’s all changed now! Because Holly Addams, our new special friend, is going to make all of us relevant again! See, like old and discarded toys that had just lost their purpose, we were sent away because…let’s face it… we weren’t entertaining enough. We didn’t make anyone laugh.

Puppy gasps and turns his ‘head’ to gaze at Shilo. We didn’t?!

Nope. We were too over the top. Too ‘like other products’ and just not…what’s the word I’m looking for? Just not ‘SCW’? So you might say… we weren’t really like Shilo Valiant at all…

Not…like Shilo…at all…

Everything goes dark as voices are heard:
NECRO!
RUBBER MASK!
Not…like Shilo…at all…

Before the light suddenly illuminate, revealing the run-down, decrepit, yet familiar scene of the Carnival of Rust. And standing there, wearing his blood-red long coat but no mask, is The Man Who Laughs, Shilo Valiant.

There, Holly. Was that not an entertaining ride? I took you through just a few of the many faces and masks I wore in the 12 years I’ve been in SCW. And I didn’t even charge you admission. That’s how generous I am. Do you know why I showed you those people? 

His glare becomes colder. Because the very idea that you could make even one of those Shilo Valiants relevant is laughable at best. he shakes his head as walks around the broken down merry-go-round.

It’s hard for me not to take such a remark like that, Holly, personally. That you will make me ‘relevant’. That you will make people watch me…

It’s also the biggest load of crap I’ve ever heard.

Reaching up, Shilo runs a gloved hand along the colored metal of one of the horse’s manes. Allow me to give you a little recollection of matters, Holly… 

Retribution was quite the night for both of us. You were named the number one contender for my title by beating a busty, cosplaying gal that should have stuck to selling books and lube, while I retained my title by defeating the “Best Wrestler in the World”. 

Now… as we went forward, let me ask you what exactly did you do to make me relevant? What exactly did you do to make our match on the tongue and lips of every SCW fan in the audience?

The Man Who Laughs shrugs his shoulders. Anything? Well, let me tell you what I did.

I orchestrated a scheme that made all of SCW, including the boss, take notice. I threw shade and doubt on the existence of our match – whether or not it would even exist. Would Shilo show up? Would he get stripped of the title? I made people stand up and pay attention – eager to see some kind of solution to the drama I had created! 

Meanwhile, you were strolling to the ring with Asher Hayes and Cid Turner, proclaiming their greatness and trying the whole Co-World Champion thing. Your only ‘contribution’ to my genius was that, whenever you had the free-time, you strolled into the office and told management to just ‘hand you the title’.

Just hand you the title…
The hand on the horse tightens into a fist.

Oh, Holly… you really shouldn’t have said that. Because I’m more than happy to lose this title in a match – somewhat – but for you to ‘skip a match’ with me. To simply pass it by… well, it just further adds to the affirmed truth of how little you know me – how little you see and how much I’ve helped you. Shilo turns back to the camera.

Let’s face it, Holly. People remember your name because it’s simple, like John Smith, right? But what exactly have you done since you came to SCW all those years ago? You were part of some little trio? What else? Cause I checked. I really did. And nothing. Not a title win. Not an award. You’re not in the Hall of Fame. Nothing. I mean, you speak of relevance and how I haven’t been relevant in ten years, but you haven’t been relevant in your entire career in SCW. 

And when you came back, well, it was much the same. You cuddled up to Infamous like you did back in the days, and now you’re just doing the same trick as you did back then but now with the A/C Unit.

The jester continues to move around the horses, swinging on the secured poles.

But I need you? No, what I need is for you to face reality. Because your problem is? You haven’t learned from the past. You haven’t changed from it. You’re still trying to make yourself great by just being near people that already achieved it. Hoping that some of that greatness will make its way to you. And that’s because, child, deep down, you’re not capable of grabbing it yourself, are you. grabbing one of the poles, Shilo swings himself around it and the horse before landing swiftly on the back of the horse.

I mean, credit where it’s due, you’ve become a lot smarter than the old days, I imagine. You seem to be a better wrestler for the most part. But I’m not talking about how you wrestle. I’m talking about how you think. How you operate in the ring, because I realized that, between you and me, that’s going to be the biggest factor tonight. 

With his free hand, he pokes at this temple, the gloved finger touching the scars of the past.

Up here. But you think that by using some cliché line against a veteran, an icon, like me, you can get under my skin enough to get some kind of advantage? You think that if you dress up someone like me and have your little ‘mock interview’, that that is entertaining?

A laugh escapes Shilo. There’s a reason I left all of that behind in 2011 and 2012, Holly. There’s a reason it didn’t work a year or so ago when I tried it with that little kids’ show. Because the entertainment has evolved past your piss-poor humor. SCW has evolved from where it was. Parodies and such? Funny as they can be? More is required. More is demanded.

But you? You want me to go back to that? Back to what I use to be? Why? Because you think you can beat THAT Shilo Valiant?

I’d say maybe. You’d have a better shot. The Shilo Valiant you keep talking about? The one wearing makeup? He was more concerned with entertaining the people in the ring rather than entertaining himself and getting the job done. Yeah, you’d have a chance against THAT Shilo Valiant.

But, that’s your problem right there. I am NOT that Shilo Valiant.
there is a growl in his voice as he hops off the horse, landing soundly on his feet.

I’m the guy that’s taken our match from barely anything – something you were happy to skip and turned it into a pay-per-view match. Then, when you hid from me, I took our match and turned it into the main-event of tonight’s Breakdown. Thousands of people around the world will tune in tonight – we will break ratings records tonight because they want to see what I have in mind.

And seeing as how our boss likes to play spoiler for everyone – since he wants to try and steal another thing for me, I’m going to beat him to it and tell you what’s in your future.

Slowly, Valiant rubs his gloves together.

Under the Big Top Match!

As soon as those words are spoken, footage is shown of the structure of such a match, lit only by some white lighting, Shilo’s voice heard over the footage. 

To give you an idea – there have only be three other matches of this type in the history of SCW, not including Fatal Fortunes. Of those three, I have been in all of them. My name has become synonymous with this match almost as much as the main-event of Rise to Greatness!

And I’ll tell you why I chose this match for us, Holly.

Footage is shown of the various Under the Big Top Matches that have been part of SCW, specifically of Shilo fighting the likes of Masquerade and Aaron Blackbourne.

See, there is something special that comes from that structure. From within that big top. You are exposed, and then you are given a choice. 

The footage changes back to the structure by itself.

See, in that confined ring, you have no one. You are alone. Just you and your opponent. And unlike a cage, you can’t just open the door or climb out. The only way out is to beat your other opponent or they beat you. The camera changes back to Shilo, who is now standing outside the structure of the Big Top Ring, running a hand along the mesh.

Does that worry you, Holly? Is the pressure starting to get to you? Is that familiar voice back in your head? The one that was whispering to you at the Pay-Per-View?

You don’t think I didn’t see it, do you? I mean, it doesn’t take a great actor to recognize a bad one. And it doesn’t take the best showman to recognize a piss-poor show… and you, Holly, oh you would get the Razzie for your little performance at the pay-per-view.

Footage is shown from “Be Careful What You Wish For” of the ‘whining’ and groaning’ of Holly as she sold her injury. Of the staff that ‘went along with it’, Shilo’s voice playing over it.

I mean that little job you did of being ‘injured’ because Asher Hayes fell on you? Right? I mean, wow… first of all, I have to ask how you two have sex, which I assume is what is happening and why you joined him. But how do you do it? Do you have to be on top all the time, calling the shots? Or does that ‘former’ drug-addict have to be lowered on you gently with a crane or a pulley and a lever, probably operated by Cidnay, because I assume he watches because he’s bored. What’s going to happen in the ring? Inside the Big Top, Holly? Are you going to randomly explode if I bodyslam you? If I throw you into the mesh, are you going to just shatter into pieces?

Well… that WOULD be entertaining to see.
A flash of the Big Top Match is seen before settling back on Shilo, who gives a shrug.

But I doubt it. And D. doubts it too. That’s why he didn’t buy your little act but was so easily fooled by mine. That’s the difference in our skills, Holly. You couldn’t convince a soul – I fooled the whole damn SCW Universe.

But with this selection of match, I find myself in the most unique of positions. Because, Holly, I get to show the world just how ‘tough’ you actually are. I get to slam you, punch you, tear your apart, choke you, basically whatever my little, creative mind can come up with and see just how much it REALLY takes to take you out of the match.

Does that sound personal? Well, surprise, it kind of is, Holly. Because not only have you irritated me with this ‘relevancy’ nonsense. Not only have you ignored me beyond begging to be handed the title, but your little stunt denied me a pay-per-view appearance. After all the hard work I put into getting our match on the card, all the hard work I put in to making people tune in and pay attention to us and MY championship, you bail at the last second and deny me not only my Pay-Per-View appearance, but my Pay-Per-View bonus and purse.

Again, Shilo’s hand tightens into a fist before he slams it against the mesh, which absorbs the blow but, otherwise, does not give way.

Sounds petty, maybe, Holly, but this Shilo Valiant? Doesn’t like people stealing from him. This Shilo Valiant doesn’t like having the spotlight stolen from him and being denied the chance to entertain the SCW Universe, but most of all, himself.

So this? This match of ours? This is your receipt. This is you paying me back for what you took, with interest, Holly. But more than that, I chose this to make it clear how reverse the reality is from your ‘views’.

See, like I said before, Holly, you’re here because of me. I’m giving you a shot at MY title. In MY match. In MY spotlight. This is, without a doubt, going to be the most important match in your career so far. And it is only possible because of me. And if you succeed tonight, you can say that you achieved greatness. You can make up for your boys dropping the Tag Titles to a bunch of Golden Boys – a couple of curtain-jerkers, one of whom I actually DID beat in 2011. But if you succeed tonight, you become relevant:

You become the Adrenaline Champion.
You become the woman that beat Shilo Valiant in his own match.
You become the wrestler that did the impossible!

A quick change of shot and the jester is now inside the structure, looking around it.

And I do mean ‘impossible’, Holly, because, personally, though I am giving you this opportunity, I don’t think you can manage it. I don’t think you have what it takes to see me as I truly am. I think you are so stuck on the past, on what I was, that you can’t see the being – the threat – the showman – the entertainer – that silenced the likes of Datura, Glory Braddock, and several others. Shilo shakes his head.

I don’t think you truly understand who it is you are facing, which is why I am looking forward to tonight. I am looking forward to educating you – to bringing you to 2021 with the rest of us. I am looking forward to bringing that look of panic and loss back to your face that you had at “Be Careful What You Wish For”.

But most of all, Holly, I am looking forward to holding you accountable for wasting my time last weekend and paying me back by entertaining me.

With a smile, Shilo raises his arms a little, standing in his world. Oh yes, Holly. You won’t make me relevant tonight… 

But you will, most assuredly… Make Me Laugh!

A familiar laugh is heard as the camera fades from the structure and the Carnival of Rust, but Shilo’s laugh remains a few seconds more before all fading to black.