Supreme Championship Wrestling

Full Version: Owen Lee vs. Polly Playtime
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
2 RP Limit for singles

3500 word max per RP

Deadline: 11:59:59 pm ET Thursday, January 13, 2022
12th July 2021

Los Angeles

Truth was, whenever Owen had needed someone to talk to, or just be there, Daisy Lee was always one of the first he would call on. Yes, of course in the past he had his family, but now that was gone, Daisy was literally the only person he believed he could turn to. Chris Cannon had surprisingly reached out with an olive branch, an offer that Owen hadn’t totally brushed away, but it hadn’t been any real surprise when he received the text from Daisy telling him to come ‘home’. ‘Home’ wasn’t a million miles away, Daisy now residing in Los Angeles, and keeping herself to herself. And as Owen walked up to the house, he couldn’t help but feel something that he hadn’t felt in a while. Hope. Hope that Daisy would have the answers that he sought. Knocking on the door he waits for only a short while, until Daisy appears at the door.  Owen steps forwards, expecting a hug, or at least the familiar welcome he was used to, but instead Daisy turns and walks back into the house, at least thankfully not slamming the door in his face. Confused, Owen follows her, through the house and into the living area, Daisy motioning towards a chair.

Daisy: Sit.

Surprised by what seems like animosity towards him, he however does as he is told and sits, Daisy stood opposite him.

Owen: Hey Daisy thanks for…

Daisy: Be quiet Owen, you’re not here to talk, you’re here to listen. And you WILL listen to me kid if you know what’s good for you.

Owen lowers his head. It wasn’t hard to sense her angry, even though she was remaining calm.

Daisy: First, a drink… this could take a while. What would you like?

Owen: Err, whiskey?

Daisy rolls her eyes at him, and heads towards the kitchen, Owen not yet sure what was going on. One thing he hadn’t expected was a sermon, and that looks to be what Daisy was preparing, but Owen had received more than enough of those over the past few weeks. Was Daisy the same as everyone else? Not able to understand how he was feeling, his life being pretty much an entire lie. As he thinks on that, Daisy returns, and passes him a glass, Owen scowling.

Daisy: It’s JD and coke… but without the JD

That settled it, a sermon it was certainly going to be.

Owen: Look Daisy, I know what you are going to say…

Daisy takes a seat, sipping on her own drink which was no doubt alcoholic.

Daisy: Do you?

Owen: Yeah, you’re about to give me the big lecture about turning my back on SCW, how I’m ruining my life. But I’ve had it all before. From Kloe, from Shaun…. And I’m certainly not going to take it again from someone I thought was my friend.

He gets to his feet, but Daisy also gets to hers and places a hand on his shoulder, sitting him back down again.

Daisy: Oh, you are Owen. Because what I am about to say to you, is something that you need to hear. And something that your Father…

Owen: He’s not my Father.

Daisy: OK, something that Orlando would say to you if he was here.

Owen: This will be good

Daisy: He’d tell you to stop being a spoilt little shit and stop acting like the world is against you. Because it isn’t Owen… it really isn’t.

Owen takes a sip of his drink, missing the JD immediately. He couldn’t deny that those were the words that Orlando would use almost to the letter, in fact he could hear him saying them exactly in his head. Daisy reaches out and places a hand on his knee, looking him deep in the eyes.

Daisy: I can get you through this Owen, but only if you stop with the self-destructive behavior. And if there is anyone who knows about being self-destructive, you’re looking at her. 

Owen couldn’t help but even in this moment melt into her beauty. He’d always had a crush on her, and he wouldn’t even deny it.

Daisy: I won’t let you destroy yourself Owen. I promised your Fath… Orlando that I’d always take care of you, and that’s precisely what I am going to do.

Owen places his drink back on the table and leans back into the chair.

Owen: So, I’m the latest lost cause huh?

Without warning Daisy brings her hand back and slaps him across the face, Owen recoiling from the shot. He holds his cheek, and looks directly at her, but see’s no anger, and only empathy.

Daisy: Never say you are a lost cause Owen. Ever. What you’ve been through in your short life, you’ve gotta be one of the strongest kids I’ve ever known. You’re broken, no question. You feel that everything you have ever known was a lie. And I get that. Owen, you may not be Orlando’s son, but he brought you up in his image, regardless of your DNA. And that ain’t a lie. He loved you, like any Father would love his son. You can never forget that.

Owen feels his eyes starting to glisten, he knew she was right of course, Orlando had been the one to bring him up. Orlando was the reason why he has followed his footsteps and become a wrestler, and indeed a World Champion. But none of that took away the pain of the lie, and the hurt that brought.

Owen: They lied to me Daisy. Dad, Mom… I wouldn’t know the truth now if I’d not uncovered it myself, and I probably never would have. I watched my real Dad blow his brains out with a shotgun, after he’d threatened me with the same weapon. How the hell am I supposed to come back from that?

Daisy: With my help Owen. By using all of that pain to make you stronger. You let me Owen, and I’ll give you back your life, your identity and I promise I won’t turn my back on you. All you have to do, and this will be the hardest part considering… 

She takes another sip of her drink, her eyes never leaving Owen.

Daisy: All you have to do, is trust me. It’s that simple

Owen: Trust huh?

Daisy: Yes, and I know that’s difficult for you. But without that trust, none of this will work, and honestly Owen, the path you are on. I dread to think what comes next. And I can’t let that happen, even if I have to chain you up in the basement to make you see sense. 

Daisy was asking him to do something that would be the most difficult of all. As far as he was concerned, he’d watched as members of the Perfect Pack, his friends, his girlfriend and then his family had all, at least in his eyes, turned their back on him and cast him aside. Everyone had held him accountable; everyone had blamed him without even trying to understand, even Peyton Rice, someone closer to him than perhaps even Daisy, a sister in everything but blood and his best friend has immediately turned her back on him without even opportunity for explanation. Did he really need Daisy, was it worth putting ‘trust’ in her, when he felt he had no more trust to give?

Owen: And you really think I’m worth it?

Daisy bites her bottom lip, forcing herself not to slap him once more. She’d seen the transformation in him over the past few weeks, watched as he self-imploded after Taking Hold of the Flame. This was not a ‘Owen Cruze’ that she recognized. Owen had never been someone to feel sorry for himself when things went wrong. He had been strong enough to come back from events that would have destroyed a lesser person. This version however was different. An angry individual, alone and ultimately lacking in confidence to even do the simple things right. Someone whom even the simplest of comments could be set off.

Daisy: Look Owen, there is no doubt that you are down right now. You’ve left a lot of burned bridges in your wake by lashing out at everyone who ever cared about you. But I’m telling you now, and this is one of the most important things you will ever hear in your life. Kloe, Shaun, Taylor… even Jennifer. These are people that love you Owen and want to get you back on track. I love you Owen, and I want to help you. All you gotta do is say the words, and we’ll do this. Together.

If he was being honest with himself, Owen didn’t like feeling this way. He didn’t like all the anger built up inside him. Attacking Olek wasn’t him, he knew that, but he couldn’t stop himself when it really mattered, and that had brought him to this place. A place where he didn’t want to lose face so was in this standoff with SCW over his career. A career that had given him so much. That he truly didn’t want to walk away from but felt like he has given himself no choice and backed himself into a corner. Could Daisy really ‘save’ him or was he the lost cause that everyone seemed to be portraying him as. He needed to make one of the biggest leaps of faith of his life, knowing that the other side just might be too far away and it all may be too pointless and ultimately too late.

Daisy: You can do this Owen, it’s not too late for you to find redemption.

Owen understands, but did he even WANT redemption. Did he want to find forgiveness from those that had lied to save their own face? Did he want people that turned on him so eagerly back in his life? He breathes in deeply, and then slowly exhales. Even after everything, all that he had been through, people letting him down, he still trusted Daisy’s judgement. If she could bring him back, make him stronger, he knew he owed it to himself to try.

Owen: Daisy, will you help me?

Daisy smiles and leans forwards, throwing her arms around Owen and hugging him, in the way Owen had hoped this meeting would begin. Whilst in that embrace she speaks.

Daisy: Yes Owen, I’ll help you.

They remain in that position for a while, Owen once again having to concentrate on his glistening eyes, making sure not to cry. When they part, he immediately wipes his right eye with the back of his hooded top, Daisy then wiping another tear from his left with her thumb.

Daisy: It’s gonna be ok Owen. I promise you’ll get through this.

Owen: I hope so Daisy. But how?

For Daisy, that was the million-dollar question. There was a lot of people who felt let down by Owen right now and rebuilding their faith in him was going to take time. The fact that this was both professionally and personally made the job that little bit harder. She wasn’t trying to be another Mother to him, Owen had enough of those. All she was trying to do was ensure that Owen could learn to live with this new truth, whilst at the same time seeing it for what it really was. And if she could get him to drop his hatred for Orlando, then everything else would fall into place, but that could potentially take months, maybe years to achieve. It was going to be small baby steps all the way.

Daisy: Well first Owen, we need to get your head straight, and ultimately that means no distractions… at all. I want you to move in here with me, so that I can keep an eye on your twenty-four seven

Owen: Well, that doesn’t sound like a great deal of fun

Owen cannot miss the annoyed look that forms on Daisy’s face.

Daisy: None of this is going to be ‘fun’ Owen and it’s not supposed to be.

Owen looks at the floor sheepishly.

Owen: Yeah, sorry…

Daisy: And that’s another thing Owen, there will be a time to say sorry, but now isn’t that time, so stop apologizing to people. Right now, the only thing you need to be focusing on is you and getting mentally better. Do you understand that?

Owen: Sor… yeah, I get that.

Daisy: Good, then I hope you get this too. You’ve got to step away from social media.

Owen: What, why?

Daisy: Because you being on there isn’t doing you any favors whatsoever. Look, I know you’re a good guy, you were brought up as such.

Owen doesn’t miss Daisy’s latest ‘Orlando’ reference but chooses to listen rather than interrupt.

Daisy: But and I hope you can take me being honest with you Owen, it’s no surprise that people are calling you a spoilt, whiney little boy. Because every single time you tweet, that is exactly how you come across.

Owen: I don’t care what people think about me

Daisy laughs, shaking her head.

Daisy: That’s bullshit, and you know it. Oh, I’ll agree that there are many people that you don’t care of their opinions, and that’s fine. You’re right in that aspect, you don’t need them, nor will you ever. But there are ‘certain’ people that I know you still DO care about. A certain ‘Helms’ for instance. How do you think she feels when she see’s you reacting to every tweet like a five-year-old?

It was hard for him to hear, but he knew that she was right. Jennifer had pretty much said the same the last time they spoke.

Daisy: There are people on social media that can’t say what the hell they like… Holly Adam for example. Giovanni Aries is another. And it doesn’t matter to them in the slightest how people react because that’s who they are. It’s engrained in them. Like I said earlier, it’s NOT who you are, so the best option is to stay away from social media, and not even engage with these people. Let them forget all about you Owen, until the moment WE choose. I promise you that you’ll be happier for it.

Owen: This is all starting to sound complicated.

Daisy: It isn’t Owen. All it is, is you laying low until you are ready. Until we have fixed what is going on in that head of yours. And that brings me on to the third point. You once told me you were seeing a shrink yeah? When all that stuff happened in New Orleans?

Owen: Yeah, I was.

Daisy: Then you call him up Owen, and you start seeing him again. Because I’m not a Psychiatrist. What’s going on up there needs an expert. You think you can do that?

The psychiatrist who he had been referred to by Shaun was still a friend, and Owen had thought about seeing him anyway, at least to try and talk it through. Seeing him wasn’t that great a stretch.

Owen: Yeah, I can agree to that, no worries. Andy’s a good guy, he got me straight once.

Daisy: Well, here’s hoping he can do it again, because I can only do so much.

Owen: So, is that it? Is that the master plan?

Daisy shakes her head.

Daisy: No, not quite. The last two points are intertwined. And one of them could be the hardest of all. You must pay the SCW fine and that’s nonnegotiable.

Owen: What, no way. That would make me look weak.

Daisy: No Owen, it would show strength, and would show people that you are trying to do better.

Owen: I can’t do that Daisy; I’ve got a bit of pride left

Daisy: Have you? After standing on Olek’s chest, mocking him, I don’t think so. I know you’ve got money tucked away. Pay the fine, buy out what’s left on your contract. Clear the decks so that we can move forwards

Owen: Forwards?

Daisy: Yeah, so that when we get you out of your contract, we can get you back in the ring.

Owen shrugs his shoulders.

Owen: I’m not sure I want to wrestle anymore Daisy.

Daisy: Why huh? Is that what you really want, or is it because it was what Orlando wanted for you?

Owen: I’m just not sure I’m cut out for it anymore.

Daisy: Oh, shut up Kid, you were one of the youngest SCW World Champion of all time.

Owen: Yeah and look where that got me. Used and abused

Daisy: Perhaps, but this time it would be different. I’m not saying that you wrestle in America or Europe where everyone knows you. I’m talking about getting away from the public eye and relearning your craft, in Japan.

Owen: Japan?

Daisy: Yes. I’ve got some contacts out there that would love to have you on their shows. There you can hone what you know and learn some new traits. More aggressive traits that will stop you from being shit on by those that only abuse you because of your last name. This way you become a stronger person, a better athlete… a different Owen to the one we’ve all seen before. One capable of fighting the fires that people have come to expect. But not on defense… but by pure offence. Taking it to all those people that ever doubted you.

Owen: Well, I must admit, that part sounds appealing.

Daisy: Good… but before we do that, we must get your head straight. You gotta disappear Owen, and that means no late-night calls to Jennifer if you’re feeling sorry for yourself. No tweeting if someone calls you out, or insults you, or any of that which you have had to endure. Then one day, maybe you’ll be ready to return to SCW and finish what you started. Not on behalf of Orlando’s legacy, but because you are finally ready to create your own legacy, and your own identity.

She grins, Owen scowling… confused

Daisy: And then perhaps you’ll get back the two things you miss most of all.

Owen: ….

Daisy finishes off her drink, and heads into the kitchen, returning this time with the bottle of JD which she uses to pour a shot into Owen’s coke.

Owen: Daisy?

Daisy: Don’t kid a kidder Owen, we both know the people you need more than anyone are Jennifer and Peyton. Don’t worry, I’m not offended, I know what it’s like to lose a soul mate, never mind lose two. But promise me you won’t try and approach them until I think you’re ready

Owen: But…

Daisy: Promise me

Owen: OK, OK, I won’t.

Daisy: Good. NO distractions. I’ll make sure those that matter know exactly what is going on. Do we have a deal?

Owen: Yeah, we do

Daisy: OK. The hard work starts tomorrow. But now, I reckon you could do with some rest. Your room is at the top of the stairs on the left.

Owen: Thanks Daisy, I really do appreciate this.

Daisy: Let’s see if you’re still saying that after tomorrow. Goodnight Owen.

Owen takes his JD and Coke off the table, holding it in his hands.

Owen: Goodnight Daisy.

Owen then picks up his bag of meagre belongings and heads up the stairs, Daisy waiting till he is out of sight before pulling out her phone and bringing up a contact, and then writing a text.

“He’s staying here, and it worked. Don’t worry.”

She flicks back, and the camera finally focusses on the name she’s just sent the text to.

TAYLOR CHASE

Daisy smiles, the first part of Operation Owen having succeeded, getting him on board, whilst at the same time knowing that the hard part was still to come. If he did all of this and didn’t return to SCW, she had no doubt he could cope with that. But if he went through all of this, and didn’t win back Jennifer’s affections, or Peyton’s friendship, that could break him for good. But that was for the future, and not now. Now was all about looking forwards. 

Scene fades.
14th July 2021

Toronto

Owen sits in the reception area of SCW Headquarters, nervously picking at his fingers. When Daisy said that he may not appreciate her methods, he was beginning to understand why. When he’d woke after the first good night’s sleep, he’d had in a while, he’d believed he might be training, Daisy eager to get him back in the ring. What he didn’t believe was that he would be almost immediately bundled into a Taxi and sent to the airport to meet with Olek D. at SCW HQ. As he’d arrived, it had taken every inch of his being to get out and walk up to the reception. But in the back of his mind had been one thing. He couldn’t let Daisy down; he’d let too many people down already. She was all he had, and he was going to play this by the book, even if it meant swallowing his pride.

“You can go in now…”

The Secretary shouts over to Owen, and he gets to his feet, straightening his clothes and heading in the way he’d been directed. With a deep breath he opens the door and steps inside, his eyes widening almost immediately. 

Owen: Err, you’re not Olek.

Man: Very astute of you. Olek is concentrating on other things right now and has left me to deal with this situation. Please, take a seat Mr. Cruze.

He hated being called that, more so now than before. He also wasn’t keen on this guy’s condescending nature, but he remains calm. The quicker he could get out of here the better. He sits down, ignoring the urge to place his feet on the guy’s desk.

Man: My name is Edward Robson and I have been given full authority to conclude this sorry affair.

Owen: Bossman didn’t want trampling on again I take it?

The words were out before he could stop them, such was his disdain for all things SCW, and indeed Olek D..

Edward: I assure you; he would have loved to have been here today to see you eat humble pie, but he simply had better things to do with his time. 

Owen: So, he sent one of the minions who had nothing to do huh? Figures. I’d be offended… if I gave a shit. Can we just get on with it?

Edward: Of course. So…

He takes a folder from his briefcase, and from that folder a piece of paper, which he slides across the table.

Edward: This is the terms of your fine, the reasoning’s as to why the company feels this course of action is required. 

Owen picks up the paper and looks at it almost disdainfully. It wasn’t like he couldn’t afford it having sold his clothing line only a few months ago, added to the funds from his house sale that had now gone through.

Owen: Cool, I’ll get that sorted.

Edward nods his head, a smile on his face born from the fact he felt he was doing the SCW’s work. He never thought he’d be giving this amount of responsibility but here he was. He pulls another, thicker bundle of paper this time, held together with a paper clip at the top.

Edward: Once those funds have gone through and the company is satisfied, this will then form the basis of your new contract with Supreme Championship Wrestling. I’m sure you will find that even with your recent actions and subsequent ban from wrestling, we have been more than generous towards you.

He pushes the contact across the table, Owen picking it up and reading it, almost bursting out into a laugh.

Owen: And this is Olek’s offer, after all I have done for this company?

Edward: No, as I confirmed at the start of this meeting, I have full authority.

Owen: Thought so, not even Olek could be as disrespectful as to make me an offer like this. I’m one of the biggest draws this company has. My merchandise sales are through the roof year on year. I’m one of the most marketable competitors in the world and THIS is what you think I’m worth?

For the first time Edward seems to get a little flustered and out of his comfort zone.

Edward: You assaulted the highest-ranking figure in this company Mr. Cruze. For that, you may not be as marketable as you seem. Your popularity has taken a visible nosedive over the past few months and as such, yes, that is what we think you are worth, and you would be well advised to sign your name today, before we change our mind.

Owen: Would I?

Edward: If you wish to compete for Supreme Championship Wrestling, then yes you would.

Owen is now getting to the point where Edward is starting to annoy him. His tone, and his actions proving Owen’s every word, that SCW didn’t care about him, and he had become expendable once they had gotten what they wanted from him. With his net worth, it wasn’t about the money, far from it. It was all about respect, and right now, he felt less than respected, regardless of what he had done in the past. 

Owen: You know something bro, there was once a time when I would have literally bent over this desk and let you have your wicked way with me for a contract like that. I would have taken the shit that this company has put me through ten times over. But you see, I don’t need this company anymore, and I’m guessing that Olek is of the opinion that he doesn’t need me either. So, how’s about, instead of me signing this worthless piece of paper, you get the calculator out and work out how much it will take me to buy myself out of my current contract. Then, add it to the fine and email me the numbers… I’ll even promise to pay it, no matter how much it is. 

Owen leans forwards, looking Edward right in the eyes.

Owen: Because I AM done with this company sunshine, and I’m never coming back. And believe me, it’s entirely your loss.

Owen gets to his feet, and pushes in the chair before heading towards the door, Edward getting to his feet, knowing the meeting had gone sideways

Edward: Are you sure we can’t come to an agreement?

Owen smirks at the guys obvious change of tune, maybe Olek wasn’t expecting this, maybe he was, but it certainly didn’t matter either way. He turns, and raises his middle finger, grinning from ear to ear.

Owen: There’s your agreement, I’ll expect your email before the end of the day.

He opens the door, with every intention of leaving it at that, but he turns once more.

Owen: Say Hi to Olek for me, won’t you?

With that he shuts the door and walks past the receptionist without even acknowledging her. He meant what he said, no matter the value he would pay it, to get himself away from a company he firmly believed had almost ended his career and left him believing that this was no longer what he wanted. And he would NEVER go back. EVER

13th January 2022
Unknown Location

Owen sits on a sidewalk, looking up at the stars and the moon in the night sky. He seems calm, relaxed, and in a good place right now. Bringing his eyes down from the sky, and looking directly into the camera lens he salutes, before he starts to speak.

/RECORDING

“I didn’t deserve that.”

He smiles, his words giving the impression that he is troubled by something when he isn’t.

“The reaction from the crowd as I had my hand held aloft in victory… that was a shock.”

He looks at the concrete for a moment before he continues.

“Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate it, truly I do. But the fact remains that there is still so much that I need to fix. Drake was the beginning, an almost inevitable result borne from Hemingway obviously failing to understand the assignment he’d been given. But this is only the start, there is so much still to do.”

He grins again, whilst nodding his head.

“We move.”

Owen wrings his hands together in front of him, showing both his determination to succeed in his quest whilst also his need to warm them in the night air.

“But how does it feel Drake, knowing that you failed the one job you’ve been given of late. If people get in the Jackal’s business, they are forcibly removed from their way, that’s the way the blurb reads is it not? You were supposed to do one thing Drake, beat the guy that had been away from SCW for six months and make him regret him ever coming back. And you failed… categorically. Now, Kandis must clean up after you, as she has on so many occasions. Kandis steps up to the plate to stop me in my tracks before my return starts to gain some momentum. And perhaps she will, there is no doubting that she is, at least these days, an extremely talented girl who has learned from the mistakes of her past. But Drake, how sure of your place are you right now in the Jackals? Is it not with a certain sense of inevitably that you now come to work knowing that it is only a matter of time before you cease to be useful to the cause and you go the way of the ‘Konrad’? Don’t misunderstand Drake, I’m not saying I care, because I don’t. People like you don’t deserve sympathy, whether you need it or not. What I AM saying is that you must have known this would happen since Day One. Tommy and Kandis are bonded together, in that there is no doubt, but anyone else that joins them is nothing more than a tool. Only there should they be required to assist the two of them in getting what they want. Get out of there or pay the price. Make your move towards ensuring that the Jackals are confined to history forever as a forgettable moment in the history of SCW. At least then bro, you may be remembered for something when this sorry tale is told in the future.”

Owen shrugs his shoulders, wasn’t his problem.

“And speaking of you Kandis, I saw you getting acquainted with Shaun on Breakdown, and you move pretty quickly to get what you want. I like that. And I gotta say, it was good seeing how things are going to be around here with Shaun pulling the strings. I got in your business; you’ve been given the opportunity to make me pay for that decision. Do I hold Shaun responsible for that decision? Nope. Do I blame him for putting me in the firing line? Nope.”

He points at his chest.

“I was the one that did that Kandis. The moment I ran down that ramp and started swinging at anything that defined itself as Jackal. I don’t care that I’m facing you at Body, Heart and Soul Kandis, and do you know why? It was all a part of the process. Who would those people that I let down so badly most like eradicated from SCW? Who is STILL hurting the company that I cast aside with literally no thought for what I was doing six months ago? Both time the answer is the Jackals. Screw your motives, what matters is you crave success, and you don’t give a shit who you hurt doing it. I need to prove that I have learned from my mistakes, and will stop at nothing to get pack those people’s faith in ME. Why did I go up against a group who will have the number game at every turn? Sounds crazy right? And I guess it is. The answer is simple, sacrifice. Sacrifices must be made, for me to claim back my name, and who I am. Regardless of the odds, it’s something I simply HAD to do.”

A deep sigh escapes his lips, and his closes his eyes for just a moment, still speaking.

“Which brings me to you Polly Playtime. And I apologize for the delay in getting to you, lot’s going on right now hun. But don’t for one second believe that my focus isn’t all over you and what you are trying to achieve right now in this company. Because although I need to rebuild peoples trust in me and who I truly am, at the same time I realize that when it comes to SCW, I stand right now on the bottom rung of the ladder. Imagine that for a second Polly, a former World Champion able to come out here and say that. But why not? After all, that IS my reality. But you won’t be able to imagine that will you? Because you’ve never been there. Before I left, you were pretty much in the same position you are now, banging on that glass ceiling and trying everything to break through. That’s not a bad thing Polly, it takes time, and sometimes years to achieve your ‘level’, not everyone can become World Champion at nineteen years old…”

He laughs, clearly joking.

“But that’s not really my point. My point is that the last time we faced off, I was clearly in the main event and championship picture. I was facing THE very best this company has to offer, and regularly beating the top names. Right now, I am not that person. I am firmly at the bottom, looking up at you, whilst at the same time knowing I can beat you. Do you know how hungry that makes a person Polly? Knowing you are better than someone, whilst accepting that right now their standing is on a higher level than yours. I’m not saying I’m an underdog Polly, I’m clearly not that. What I am saying is I’m not looking at titles right now like I was before. I’m not looking at Selena Frost, or CID and think I should be facing them. I’m looking at YOU, warning YOU that I am coming to take YOUR place. Drake, you, Kandis… regardless of feeling, or emotion, all part of the same purpose. Getting me back where I was one year ago before the rot set in. 

And by ‘rot’ do you know what I mean Polly?

I mean, the love I had for this business was non-existent. Everything that I had felt for this business, the fans, my colleagues and friends… it had all gone. I was on a spiral, and worse still, I was failing to heed my own words. I don’t know how many times I’ve said it over the course of my career Polly, but I’d always been a believer that when things were going wrong, you looked at yourself. You looked in the mirror, and you embraced what you see. 

I got away from that.

I started blaming others, people that were blameless. I blamed the company, the people that had been with me whilst I made my reputation. They were at fault, not me. They needed to pay. OLEK needed to pay. You know, looking back, maybe a little piece of Giovanni Aries made its way into my blood stream. Perhaps he was the one who turned my head. But I don’t blame him, I blame me. I blame myself for not being strong enough to realize that his meanderings were nothing more than bullshit. I blame myself for throwing away the work ethic I was known for and started down the dark path I’d berated so many for. The EASY path. Thankfully I was stopped, before the effects became irreversible. Thankfully someone cared enough to take me in, straighten my mind, and bring me back from the abyss.”

He chuckles to himself

“Why am I saying this Polly?

What does this have to do with you?

Simple.

Do not make the mistakes that Drake Hemingway did in believing that I am the same person that you faced all those months ago. Please, don’t think that by watching a few hours of footage you are going to know how to combat whatever I do when we step in the ring on Breakdown. The high flying, high risk individual that won the World Championship, Tag team Championship amongst other accolades hasn’t gone, I am still able to take do that if the situation needs it, but I am far more levelheaded, and a more rounded competitor than I ever was, capable of existing in any environment I am placed in… an evolved version of what was. Evolution isn’t putting on a pair of fairy wings Polly, it’s improving to the point that you are able to take each step confidently. In time, I will achieve my goals and reach the top, but right now, it’s YOU that I must defeat. And Polly, that is exactly what I intend on doing.”

Owen gets to his feet, shoving his hands into his pockets

“And you’ll dispute that, and make your own claims about your imminent victory because after all, that’s what we do isn’t it? I make claims, you make counter claims and then on the show someone proves that they were the ones in the right. But you see that’s the thing, I don’t assume victory. I didn’t against Drake, I won’t against you, and I certainly won’t against someone who’s been dominating most of the time whilst I’ve been away in Kandis. That’s where being level-headed comes in, something I learned from a good friend in another wrestling promotion. The fact that no matter who you are, even if you are a fabled Icon, loved by all even with a penchant for lies and deceit, you still lose some. No fuckers perfect. 

That’s why I am here. 

Losing to Drake wouldn’t have changed anything. Losing to Kandis won’t. Losing to you might be hard to take, but take it I will, as a RE-learning curve as I make my way to where I want to be. I’m not going to go off the rails again. I’m not going to be looking towards management, even dear old Shaun, if I fail. I won’t find myself drowning in another pit of despair like the daily mocked Calamity Cruze.”

He shakes his head confirming the fact.

“I’ll fight.

And that is the biggest difference of all now Polly, I’m not just a wrestler, I’m a fighter. I’m willing to fight for anything and everything that I am about to achieve. Everything I do from this point; I will work for. Everything I achieve I will have earned. And that’s the thing Polly, I listen to you, and I don’t hear anything like that desire. I watch you work, and I don’t see someone who wants to be the very best in the business, or at least someone who is willing to get as far as she possibly can. I see someone with talent, yes. I see someone with character, yes. What I don’t see is someone with the determination to succeed, that courses through your veins like it does with someone like me. Oh, right now I know my place Polly, but make no bones about it, I won’t ever be satisfied sitting at the bottom of any pile. Not a chance. I will succeed, I will be worthy, and I will be champion again. On that you can mark my words. So, no offense Polly, I don’t care which persona you bring to the ring, all that I see right now is an obstacle. Another obstacle that must be overcome to ensure that my redemption is one step closer. Give it your all, everything you have. Spill your guts, spit your venom, and make this match one of the most hyped on Breakdown if you want. Do it, please I beg of you. Coz I don’t come to play Polly, and I don’t come to lose. I step into that ring right smack bang in the middle of the United Center in Chicago with one sole intention. Building on what I did to Drake Hemingway, and making it abundantly clear to all those in attendance, and those streaming online, that I am once again someone to be reckoned with. Someone who cannot be taken lightly. Someone who now has all the tools in his arsenal to not fulfill someone else’s legacy, but to build my own...”

He looks up at the sky once more, admiring its beauty.

“Dispute that if you will. Refuse to accept that as truth if that feeds your ego. It doesn’t really matter. All you need to know is that I’m here, and I’m taking back my name, one step at a time. 

Polly Playtime, you ARE that next step. 

Enjoy YOUR place, in MY history.”

He winks at the camera, as the scene slowly fades.