Supreme Championship Wrestling

Full Version: Owen Lee vs. Derek Adonis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
2 RP Limit for singles

3500 word max per RP

Deadline: 11:59:59 pm ET THURSDAY, February 24, 2022
5th October 2021

Miami

Owen kills the engine outside the address he had been given by the realtor. Because Jessica knew the guy from way back, he had allowed Owen to take the keys and look around for himself. If there was something that Owen didn’t like it was the selling techniques that they employed, he’d rather make his own informed decision than be pushed into a place he didn’t want because of their need for commission. He steps out the car and walks up to the house, putting the key in the lock and opening the door. Stepping inside, he becomes immediately aware how light it is, windows replacing outer walls in almost every room. Walking through the house he nods at the size of the kitchen, although it would need updating, before turning back towards the stairs and making his way up, drawn into one of the bedrooms. It is there where he stops, marveling at the view from the window, and the ocean beyond the golden sandy beach. He stands there for a few moments, the sun shining down on the glistening blue. Although he didn’t know it yet, right there was the moment he’d decided to buy the place and for fully a minute he just stands there, alone and in silence.

Eventually, he takes a moment to look around the room, and it is then that it realizes why the place was comparatively inexpensive, considering the location. Although the windows didn’t indeed give a lot of light, they were looking a little worse for wear, as was the décor. Some of the built-in cupboards certainly needed replacing, and the floor was old and worn. Apparently, the previous owner had been left the residence in a will but hadn’t been able to keep up the maintenance on the place, and so therefore, as it had said in the information, the place was looking more than a little dated. Walking to his left and into the en-suite bathroom, confirms this fact, the basin, bath and shower all looking like they had seen better days. With the central heating apparently also needing replacing, and the kitchen also not exactly modern, it was becoming clear that he would have to spend a lot of money to bring it up to scratch.

With another glance out the window, Owen makes his way back downstairs and into the living area, a huge feature wall claiming his attention, as well as the outline where once a large television screen once sat. His thoughts go back to his cinema room in LA, and the times he’d spent with Jennifer in there, but here it would be different. He’d be living here alone and had no need for something like a Cinema Room. Although before he’d seen it as a necessity, now he saw it as pretentious. It wasn’t him anymore, he’d grown up… and this house was going to show that. He opens the sliding doors to the garden, another huge selling point according to the realtor, and it doesn’t take long for Owen to realize he was telling the truth. The garden was overgrown no question, but the potential for it to be a real space was huge and the lapping of the waves no more than a few yards away just added to it. He looks to his left, and not too far away sits a harbor, with many boats moored. It’s here that he notices that he is being watched, an old fella standing on the beach, his dog sat next to him on a lead.

Owen: Oh hey, sorry I didn’t see you there.

Man: What are you up to?

It takes a moment for Owen to realize what the guy is saying, but eventually he catches up.

Owen: No, sorry… I’m not breaking in or anything. I’m looking to buy the place.

The old man looks confused, Owen apparently not looking like someone who could afford such a place. He holds up the keys as confirmation.

Owen: See, got the keys from the realtor and looking around.

The old man smiles, seemingly satisfied, and reaches over the fence to shake Owen’s hand.

Man: I’m Anthony, I live a few houses down. Sorry, you can never be too sure. 

Owen: I’m Owen, and nah it’s all good… nice to know people are observant around here.

Anthony: There’s not a lot that goes on around here, criminal I mean. It’s quiet most of the year.

Owen: Good, that’s exactly what I need.

Anthony: Rough time of it recently?

Owen: Something like that yeah. Just looking to make a fresh start.

Anthony looks over Owen’s shoulder at the house.

Anthony: So, what do you think? I mean, it needs a bit of work doing, but with a bit of time and patience it would be worth a lot more than it’s being sold for

Owen: You know the asking price?

Anthony: You buy this place and I guarantee you’ll have gotten yourself a bargain. 

Owen: That sounds like someone who knows what he is talking about

Anthony: Yes. I bought property before I retired, but still like to look if anything comes up. 

Owen looks back at the house, it certainly was an attractive proposition. The area, the fact that very few people knew him, and the opportunity to start again meant any expense would be worth it.

Owen: I think I’m sold

Anthony: Good, because I hate seeing empty houses.

Anthony reaches into his pocket and pulls out a business card, passing it to Owen

Owen: What’s this?

Anthony: My daughters business card. If you’re going to update this place, you’ll need somewhere to stay whilst its done. She rents out beachside apartments five minutes down the road. Tell her I sent you and she’ll do you a good deal

Owen: Wow thanks, you didn’t have to do that.

Anthony: Just being neighborly Owen. Anyways, Dorothy here is getting antsy

Owen: Dorothy?

Anthony smirks

Anthony: Yeah, it was the name of my ex-wife… only this one doesn’t answer back. Hopefully see you around young man.

Owen: Yeah, see you… and thanks.

The old man waves, Owen watching him as he walks down the beach. Owen turns back to the house, and pulls out his phone, waiting for an answer.

Owen: Jess? Yeah hi… I’m going to take it, full asking price.

He listens to her reply.

Owen: Yeah, as soon as possible. I want to get started on the improvements.

Again, he pauses

Owen: Cool let me know… and thanks

He hangs up the phone and places it back in his pocket, turning back towards the beach with his hands on the railings. He takes a deep breath and sighs, a smile forming on his face.

Owen: Home…

Scene fades.

19th October 2021
Miami

True to his word, Anthony’s daughter had indeed been very helpful, and within just a few days got him a fully furnished apartment not too far away from the renovation project. Owen had then spent the next week or so getting things straight, knowing that Daisy was expecting him back in Mexico in the next couple of days. If Owen was honest with himself, he wasn’t looking forward to it, his last experience not going particularly well, it had served to preserve the fact Owen wasn’t sure he still needed this, but at the same time he didn’t want to let Daisy down. Especially as the main reason he was putting himself through all of this was the primary focus of getting Jennifer back. She’d promised to speak to Jennifer when she knew Owen was ready, but what if he never was. That was a bridge he would cross however when he came to it, for now though it looked like he would have to continue being handed his ass for a while yet. As Owen packs his bag, really to leave to catch his flight, a knock at the door interrupts him. Owen scowls, no one bar Daisy knew he was here, so he ignores it, it probably being somebody selling either a product or religion. When the knock comes again however, he throws his tee-shirt in the bag in a huff. Heading towards the door and then opening it, his mood doesn’t improve when he sees who it is.

Owen: Shaun? 

Shaun: Owen…

For a moment they stand in an awkward silence, Owen certainly not sure what to say to his unexpected visitor. Finally, it is Owen who speaks

Owen: What you doing here Shaun? And more importantly, how did you know where I was?

Shaun: Daisy told me… I think we should talk.

Owen: Do you… well, I don’t think that we have anything to say to each other.

Shaun: Fair enough, but I’ve come all this way Owen. And let’s not forget that I was just as much in the dark about all of this as you were.

Owen: So, you say…

Shaun: I was Owen, I promise you.

Owen very judgmentally looks for any sign of deceit but doesn’t see any. 

Shaun: I just don’t see any benefit in torching bridges in the way you have been doing of late, and Daisy agrees with me. Just hear me out Owen… let’s have a beer and then I’ll be on my way. What have you got to lose?

Owen sighs, knowing that he had no real reason to turn Shaun away.

Owen: OK, but if you start preaching to me Shaun, I swear…

Shaun: No preaching, I promise. 

Owen: I guess you’d better come in then.

Owen steps aside and Shaun enters the apartment, immediately looking around.

Shaun: Nice place…

Owen: Yeah, it’s only temporary though till the house is ready.

He walks past Shaun, and Shaun follows him into the kitchen, Owen reaching into the fridge and pulling out two bottles of beer, popping the cap off both and then passing one to Shaun.

Shaun: Daisy was telling me that you’ve bought a house in the area. You putting down roots then?

Owen: Trying

Shaun: And as far away from us as possible huh? 

Owen: That was kinda the idea. 

Shaun: This has really messed you up hasn’t it?

Owen takes a sip of his beer, Shaun taking the opportunity to do the same.

Owen: Honestly, no. I reckon this is probably the first time I’ve had any real understanding since Orlando died. It’s like, for the first time I know who I really am, instead of trying to live up to this image of what is expected of me. It’s hard to explain, but I’m not angry anymore. It's disappointment. I’m disappointed that I was lied to for so long and if I’d not found out for myself, I probably never would have. 

He motions around the room.

Owen: All of this, moving to Miami… it’s the fresh start that I needed a long time ago. I just wouldn’t have been able to leave it all behind if I’d stayed in Los Angeles, or even Newquay for that matter. I’m away from everything here, and that’s the way it needs to be. This will be good for me; I know it will.

Owen walks through the kitchen doors and to a balcony area that looks out towards the sea beyond. Much like his house, this was the reason that he had chosen this apartment for the six months lease, the sea views. Having been brought up a lot of his life in Newquay, he was used to the constant noise that the ocean provided, the white noise that had always tended to relax him. Shaun follows, and leans on guardrail, Owen taking the only seat.

Shaun: I get that.

Owen: What do you mean?

Shaun: I know what it’s like when you are constantly being compared to someone else.

Owen: Yeah, I guess you do. But I’m sure you’re not here to discuss my future choices, are you? And if you are, then you are wasting your time, because I don’t feel like I need to listen.

Shaun takes another sip of his beer, for a moment looking out over the ocean, before turning back to Owen.

Shaun: She misses you, you know that right?

Owen knew he was talking about Kloe, and he had very little doubt that Shaun was telling the truth, and that this wasn’t a ham-fisted attempt at trying to get him to change his mind. 

Owen: I know she does Shaun, but that’s on her not me. 

Shaun: I think if you just spoke to her…

Owen holds up his hand.

Owen: Let me stop you there Shaun. 

Shaun stops, surprised by Owen’s almost sneering tone.

Owen: SHE lied to me for over twenty years. Twenty years in which I believed that I was the son of one of the most legendary figures in wrestling. I lived that lie, just imagine for a second how that had to make me feel. Truthfully Shaun, and it might sound harsh, but I don’t give a fuck how she is feeling. The only person that I can concentrate on right now is myself, and somehow coming out the other side from this shitstorm. And who knows, perhaps if I can do that, Mom and I can sit down and talk it through one day. But right now, and with the greatest of respect for you, she isn’t my priority, just like it seems the truth wasn’t her priority all those years. 

Shaun nods his head, and Owen finds it hard to read whether he is agreeing with, or just pacifying him. Shaun puts his beer down on the table, and turn to face the ocean, both hands on the rail. Owen stands, his elbows resting on the same rail, neither looking at the other. 

Owen: Shaun, ever since Dad died, I feel like there has always been someone looking over my shoulder and making my decisions for me. Whether it was Mom, Taylor, or even you, I’ve never had to stand on my own two feet, even when I believed that was what I was doing. Thing is, Mom and Orlando weren’t the only people that were lying to me, because all that time I was lying to myself. Believe I was driving my life when the reality was I wasn’t.

Shaun turns his head, obviously not understanding what Owen was saying.

Owen: When I look back at some of the decisions I’ve made, it’s obvious to me now that I wasn’t ready. Whether it was Jennifer, or my career, or even family… I always found a way to somehow fuck it up, and that was always because I was too immature. I get it, when Orlando died, people like you, like Taylor… you felt like you needed to take up the slack he left behind, and I appreciate that. Truly I do. But the fact remains I never really stood up and said, you know what, I’m driving this train now. I never owned those mistakes and took them as the learning experience that they should have been. Next year I’m 22 years old Shaun, I’m not a kid anymore, and it’s about time I stopped acting like one. That isn’t going to happen with family ready to catch me every single time I fall. 

Shaun: But… isn’t that what Daisy is to you now. A safety net.

A glimmer of a smirk forms on Owen’s face, he knew that was what people thought of their relationship, though they were a million miles away from the fact.

Owen: No Shaun. Daisy didn’t tell me to come to Miami, and she certainly hasn’t advised me to not speak to Mom. She’s been preparing me for what is to come, the time when I am ready to fly alone and do whatever it is I, yes, I decide to do. Whether that is wrestling or something else, when it happens, and when I am ready it will be on my terms. Not Daisy’s, not Mom’s and not yours.

This time when Shaun nods his head it is with total understanding of what Owen is saying, a knowing of what Owen had gone through over these past few months, because he’d been through it himself in the past. Orlando had cast a massive shadow over his own career, for Owen it had probably been even worse. 

Shaun: You seem to have it all figured out

Owen laughs, shaking his head.

Owen: No… I don’t Shaun, but that’s ok. I don’t HAVE to have my life all mapped out in front of me. It’s doesn’t have to be all about a singular path, leading to a particular goal. Same as it doesn’t have to be about a legacy that I have to defend or enhance. 

He takes a sip of his beer, Shaun turning once more towards him.

Owen: I don’t even know if any of those paths lead me back to wrestling, or if my place in the world is belonging somewhere else, away from the spotlight, and the expectations that come with it. That’s the beauty of this place Shaun. It allows me to regroup, and it gives me the space to grow, and when I make my decision of what comes next, I’ll know that no matter what happens, right or wrong, it was a decision that I can stand by as being MINE. And made without the exuberance of youth or based on an emotion, or ill-judged philosophies. 

Hearing him talk like this, Shaun could only concede that Owen seemed a far different person to the one he had meet with prior to his involvement with Daisy. Shaun knew that Owen had been talking to Andy, his psychologist, as well, but it seemed that a lot of the mentality he was listening to had come from Daisy, the one person it seemed Owen trusted right now. Owen seemed to be in a better place, focused on a future, whereas before he had been stuck in the past. Shaun knew he couldn’t change Owen’s mind, and having listened, he no longer wanted to.

Shaun: So, what’s next?

Owen puffs out his cheeks and shrugs his shoulders.

Owen: Head back to Mexico to see if I can get my mojo back for the business and not get my ass kicked too much, those guys really are something else, then onto Japan… working pretty much every night for the next two weeks. But if it isn’t for me anymore, then I’ll throw everything into the house, and making it the place I’ve imagined in my head, before deciding what I’m going to do with the rest of my life. I dunno, maybe buy a boat or something. Then, hopefully… once my heads on straight, see if I can salvage anything with Jenni. Without getting killed by Regan.

Shaun laughs

Shaun: Good luck with that.

Owen: Ah, I’ll just sing a song with her or something. It worked last time.

They both grin. 

Owen: Whatever happens Shaun, stop worrying about me. Please. I’m not that kid anymore and I’m ready to take on life and whatever it has in store. Concentrate on Impact Media, Angyalka, Dorothea… keep being the success you’ve become, and leave me be. 

Shaun nods his head.

Owen: I’m going to be OK Shaun, I promise. I’ve got this.

Shaun: I believe you.

Shaun holds out his hand and Owen looks at it for a moment, before then the two of them hugging, till they part.

Shaun: Take care of yourself Owen

Owen: I will…

Shaun: I’ll see myself out.

As he turns to leave, Owen puts a hand on his shoulder, stopping him, Shaun turning back to face him.

Owen: Tell Mom I’m ok, won’t you?

Shaun smiles, that comment alone showing that regardless Owen still cared for Kloe, something that was all she would want to hear. It would give her hope, and right now Shaun was sure that was all she needed. The fact that she hadn’t lost him forever. 

Shaun: I will, she’ll be happy to hear it. See you around Owen.

With a final smile Shaun leaves, Owen remaining on the balcony looking out at the sea and the horizon beyond. There was still a long road ahead of him, a road that would take many twists and turns, and although he knew he would travel it alone, it is with a deep sigh of satisfaction that he knew it was exactly what he wanted. Was wrestling a part of that future, on that he still wasn’t clear, one thing he did know what that the business wasn’t everything to him, and that ultimately, he would need more. What that ‘more’ was, he intended finding out. Another step to once again being ‘whole’.
ALONE AGAIN (NATURALLY)
A Derek Adonis Tale…

The fall from grace continued for Derek Adonis. One month after hiring a prostitute to manage her personal affairs, she had cleaned out what little the disgraced former womanizer-turned-preacher had left. Who would have thought that you could not trust a prostitute you meet on a Las Vegas bus? So at present, he lives arena to arena, sleeping in the locker-rooms that SCW occupies for it’s Breakdowns and house shows, stowing away some discarded catering and sleeping in areas where man dare not tread, escaping the women’s locker-rooms (hey, they smell nicer) before morning when actual humans may catch him. 

It’s a precarious life. 

Still, as long as he remained under SCW contract, Derek felt as though there was still a chance for him. If he could get in with the right crowd, his career would be resurrected, his cash flow would increase, and his life would be infinitely better. Still, Cookie had moved on and wouldn’t even answer his texts (typically because he just sends the words “Heavy breathing” to her - Derek doesn’t understand how texting actually works), and Manvel had moved on. His former Presidential running mate, Beard, had seen through his charade as an attempt to maintain relevance and dropped him like a bad habit, and Stacy Kissinger hadn’t been heard from since Derek defeated her for the Championship of Television.

So he sang…

ADONIS: “Left standing in the lurch at a church
Were people saying, My God, that's tough
She stood him up
No point in us remaining
We may as well go home
As I did on my own
Alone again, naturally”

Adonis was a mess. 

It was because of his singing, however, that he was unaware of the presence of another individual. Call it fate… call it destiny… call it whatever you want. But the individual approaching the sad scene was not deterred by the off-key singing nor the questionable odours. And as Adonis sang, he was unaware that he was about to be kidnapped.

ADONIS: “Leaving me to doubt
Talk about, God in His mercy
Oh, if he really does exist
Why did he desert meEEEEEEEEE…!!!”

Mid-chorus, a king-sized pillowcase is brought down, encasing Adonis’ head as a large individual wraps arms around him, carrying him off like he were a sack of potatoes. Adonis realised this and, in his hunger, could not separate the thought of his being potatoes with the thought of him EATING potatoes and willingly gave up the fight.

~~~~~~

Voice: “Get him up.”

Derek Adonis could only see blackness, the oversized pillowcase still wrapped around his head as he sat on a cold steel chair, laying across a metal table illuminated by a single light. The male voice instructing his position echoes in his ears, sounding oddly familiar. Another pair of hands follows the instruction, pulling him to an upright position and ripping the pillowcase away from his head. Adonis squints as his eyes adjust to the sudden inflow of light, but it isn’t long before he able to focus on the smiling visage of Shawn Mason(?)!

Mason: “Hello, Derek.”

Adonis: “Wha… what are you…?”

Mason: “Relax. I have no bearing in what happens to you here. But you, Derek… you have made a bit too much of a splash. I was asked… hired, really, if we’re going to split hairs… to assess your mental status. So how are you?”

Adonis: “Confused.”

Mason laughs. 

Mason: “Yes, I do suppose your current state would not exactly lend itself to lucidity, so let me clarify… how is Derek Adonis’ place in the world today?”

Adonis: “Wha…?”

Mason: “You owe a lot of money to a lot of people, don’t you? Including my employer.”

Adonis: “I don’t owe Kelcey Wallace anyth…”

Mason laughs, cutting Adonis off. 

Mason: “I am not referring to the Perfect Ten, Derek. See, my services, while steeped in loyalty, remain for sale. I’m a professional, after all. I cannot, in good conscience, stay with one client while others exist who are willing to pay. Call it freelancing if you must.”

Adonis: “... I must.”

Mason: “So be it. I represent a Syndicate out of Atlantic City that sought to expand into Las Vegas, and even made a few inroads. But your recent bout with religion put a bit of a snag on those expansion plans. You got loud. Investors got cold feet. So now, you owe my employer.”

Adonis: “Look, I have nothing left, okay? N-o-t-h-i-n-g l-e-f-t.” 

Mason: “We know.”

This smug response gets under Adonis’ skin in a manner that hasn’t quite been experienced, at least not recently. 

Adonis: “Then why am I here!? How can I hope to repay anything if you know I have nothing!?”

Despite his insistence, Mason doesn’t flinch.

Mason: “Because your very existence provides value.”

Derek perks up a bit. Was that a compliment?

Mason: “I don’t mean that as a compliment.”

It was not. Derek slouches back to his seat. 

Mason: “But the fact that you are still alive means you have the capability to… how should we say… recompense my employer for your deeds. Derek… Mr. Adonis…”

Mason smirks, really starting to pour on the charm against the dunderheaded Adonis. 

Mason: “My employer wishes to purchase your contract and take your spot on the SCW roster. You will be compensated fairly, and the money would allow you to continue to pay your alimony towards your ex-wives and child support for your… what was it? One son?”

Adonis: “Yes.”

Mason: “Well, one that you know of. Womanizer like you… who knows how many bastard children you have behind the curtains that are secret to even you?”

Adonis went to respond, but couldn’t muster any words. He was a fish on the hook, with the cash of Mason’s “employer” acting as the most delicious bait. After failing in his response, Adonis takes it as a sign… not from any God or any higher power, but from his gut.

Adonis: “They want my spot?”

Mason: “My employer wishes to profit from your position. You sell her your contract, she profits from your appearances and merchandising while paying you a base salary. You get the upfront payment, the consistent wage and everyone wins.”

Adonis thinks about those words… “Everyone wins”... until…

Mason: “Unless you don’t in the ring. Then she reserves the right to remove you from the spot and insert someone else, or assume the position herself.”

Adonis: “Can… can I think about it?”

Mason: “You may, but don’t take too long. My employer is not known for her patience.”

Adonis nods. Mason smiles, motioning to the hired goons. 

Mason: “Gentlemen, please show Mr. Adonis here to the exit. And Derek… I say this not as an employed negotiator, but as The Perfect Mind. You’ll never find a better deal than this. This is how you rebuild your shattered life. My advice? Take the deal. We’ll be in touch.”

Adonis takes in Mason’s words, nodding his head in acknowledgement as he is guided out of the room. As Shawn stands in place, he is joined by a long-legged blonde bombshell. She strides towards Mason, standing beside him,

Mason: “I didn’t think you’d join us today.”

Jenni Anderson, The Queenpin, smiles as she rests her arm on Shawn’s shoulder. 

Anderson: “And miss seeing “The Perfect Mind” at work? That was masterful.”

Mason smirks, almost chuckling. 

Mason: “Please… Derek Adonis? It’s like dealing with an impulsive child. All I needed to do was appeal to his current situation and he melted.”

Anderson: “Yes… pity we had to rip his life away to get here, but sometimes you have to make a little mess to get what you want.”

Mason smirks.

Mason: “He’ll agree. He has no choice.”

Anderson: “Good. See to it that he does. We’ll be in touch.”

Jenni steps towards Mason, planting a soft kiss on his cheek before stepping away. Mason smirks as she strides away. The scene fades.

THE FOLLOWING IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT

“Derek Adonis is seeking a career revitalization. The talk of the town… once upon a time, he was what one would consider enhancement talent. His job once upon a time was to happily lose to enhance the career and the rise of others. 

Then he stopped.

This is a man who one day decided he was not going to perpetuate the same cycle and become the Champion of Television. Over two year transitions, he carried that Championship. A proud and boastful Champion, Derek Adonis became a force to be reckoned with.

And then it all came crashing down. 

He lost his friends. He lost his wife. He lost his business. He lost his mind. He lost his religion. He lost everything. 

At Breakdown, you will witness a broken man. But you will witness a broken man who will not stop. You will witness a broken man with nothing left to lose but his very heartbeat.

You will witness a man with his entire future ahead of him. Owen Lee has not yet hit his prime. Derek Adonis’ prime is clearly behind him. But Owen Lee will be in a dangerous situation, facing a wounded bear that is ready to lash out. 

God dammit, what a show it’s gonna be!”

Paid for by the Queenpin Syndicate
12th November 2021

Hiroshima, Japan

Owen climbs up the turnbuckle and lifts the JPWL Championship belt aloft to a somewhat muted reception. Blood still spills from a deep laceration above his right eye, and the steel tacks that are still embedded into his shoulder glisten from the arena lights shining on them. With his free hand he wipes away the blood that was partially blinding him, before jumping back down, walking over and checking on his opponent, former SCW superstar Akira Kimura, kicking a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire to the side of the ring. One of the medical staff turns to him and nods his head, signifying that Akira is ok, and satisfied that is the case, Owen drops to his knees, holding the belt tight. This was the culmination of a journey, through the Slaughterhouse, onto Mexico and ending right here in a No Holds Barred match for the JPWL Massacre Championship, a match he’d earned in a three-day tournament. All that blood sweat and tears, all the heartache he had endured in Mexico, the defeats he had to take. All of it in this moment felt like it was worth it, and with the noise of the fans ringing in his ears, for the first time in SCW, he felt like he really wanted this. No matter what his last name was, this business coursed through his veins, just as much as the blood fell from his wounds. In this moment he knew, he wanted more. He needed more. Finally, he was ready to fight, for his redemption.

TEN MINUTES LATER

Owen sits in the locker room, holding the belt in front of him, blood still seeping from his head and dripping onto the gold plate. Still, he couldn’t believe he was here, winning championships again, and in Japan, nonetheless. This truly did seem like a million miles away from where he was only months ago, a lost soul lashing out at anyone and everyone who dared have a different opinion to him. He wipes the blood off the nameplate, it smears the gold, Owen leaving it at that, as if the blood signified something else, something special. A slight grin forms on his face, until he becomes aware of someone stood in the doorway. That someone being Daisy Lee. She walks over and takes a seat next to him, Owen turning his attention away from the belt and to her, before then handing her the title.

Owen: This is as much yours as it is mine Daisy. How can I ever thank you?

Daisy takes one look at the belt, and then back to Owen.

Daisy: You already did. Leaving it all out there and winning this belt is the greatest thanks I could get. I saw that look in your eyes out there Owen, the look that’s been missing since you lost the SCW World Championship. It all clicked into place out there didn’t it?

Owen doesn’t say a word and simply nods, Daisy placing a hand on his shoulder.

Daisy: I’m proud of you Owen. And whether it means anything to you or not right now, Orlando would be proud of you too.

Owen wasn’t sure what he thought about that comment, so he leaves it hanging in the air, as Daisy passes him a towel to hold against the wound. He holds it there, the thumping pain relieved somewhat.

Daisy: I’ve got to be honest with you Owen, when I first saw you in the slaughterhouse, I wasn’t certain you’d get to this point.

Owen chuckles to himself

Owen: Thanks…

Daisy: I mean, getting you to care about anything, never mind wrestling. It was like you’d given up on life. And I’m not being melodramatic and saying you wanted to take your own life or anything, but you were as low as I’d seen you.

Owen: Somedays it felt like that.

Daisy: But now, I look at you fawning over that belt and dare I say it… looking like you’ve got your love back for wrestling?

Owen: Maybe, it certainly felt good out there. Perhaps Adam Lucas could get me a spot in EAW.

Daisy immediately shakes her head.

Daisy: No.

Owen: What?

Daisy: No, it can’t be in EAW. 

Owen: Why not?

Daisy places the championship belt on the bench.

Daisy: Owen, if you want people to believe in your again, you MUST face those that you feel like you let down. If you really do have your love for wrestling back, and you are ready to compete in the big leagues again, then you’ll have no problem swallowing your pride and going cap in hand back to SCW. Because we both know, if you are going to complete this comeback, it won’t feel nowhere near the same unless it’s there. This feels great, I can see it in your eyes, but just imagine being back on top in SCW, with those that now doubt you chanting your name. 

Owen: You’re right, but who’s to say they’ll have me back?

Daisy shrugs her shoulders, as Owen brings down the towel, taking a moment to feel the edge of the cut, the bleeding now having slowed down.

Daisy: There’s no guarantees that’s for sure, but I reckon they would be happy to take on a fully focused and committed Owen Cru… sorry Lee. You might not get the same contract you once had, and you may have to give some assurances and promise to be on your best behavior, but I reckon they would have you back in a heartbeat. All you gotta do is make the first move. And let’s face it, it’s got nothing to do with the money has it?

Owen: Not at all.

Daisy: Then what do you have to lose from asking?

Owen: Nothing, I guess.

Daisy: Precisely. You make it clear that this is all about making things right. You show everyone how much you have grown up over these past six months… and before you know it, you’ll have your life, and your career back on track, and my job will be done. You’ll be ready to walk on your own two feet and I can rest easy knowing that I made good on my promise to Orlando. Again, no matter what you think about him right now. Heck, for those first few months, I’ll even stand beside you if you want, if SCW allow it that is. Just in case you lose sight of yourself.

Owen: OK…

Daisy leans forwards and kisses Owen on the cheek. Once Owen would have blushed, his teenage crush doing such a thing. But right now, she was his friend, his only friend in a world that he had turned his back on, without realizing how much he needed it. With, or without the surname.

Daisy: You’re strong enough for this now Owen, it’s time for the entire world to know that your back, and better than ever before. But that’s not the only thing you’re ready for.

Owen scowls, looking at her more than a little confused.

Owen: What do you mean?

Daisy: You’ve done as I asked, you’ve stayed out of the limelight and you’ve trusted the process. Now I think it’s time for you to get back the one thing that truly made you whole.

Owen: Huh?

Daisy: I’ve spoken with Jennifer Owen, and she is willing to talk to you. All you have to do is make the call.

Owen: Really?

Daisy: Yes really… I’m not saying that she’s ready to jump back into a relationship with you, but it’s a start, right?

Owen nods, the elation in his eyes obvious. 

Daisy: Don’t mess this up Owen. She adored you, and she can again, but only if you treat her right.

Owen: I will… I’m ready now.

Daisy: Yeah Owen, you know what? I honestly think you are.

Owen smiles gratefully, and goes in for a hug, Daisy holding up her hands.

Daisy: Shower first, then we get that cut seen to. THEN, we celebrate kiddo.

Owen laughs, and picks up a clean towel heading towards the showers. Before he turns the corner, he turns back to Daisy.

Owen: Thank you Daisy, for everything.

Daisy: You’re more than welcome.

As Owen disappears, Daisy looks up to the ceiling. Although she had given the impression, Owen’s journey was far from complete. He would only be whole again once he had gone full circle and made peace with his parents. Only when he could once again look in the mirror and call himself Owen Cruze would his journey truly be over.

23rd February 2022
RECORDING

“Now that was more like it.”

Owen Lee appears on screen, a simple location in a place we don’t recognize or know. 

“Facing Nate Chapel, I knew that already the vultures were starting to circle. ONE defeat to someone who is currently in the World Title picture, and Owen could never be the person he was before. Newsflash… I don’t WANT to be the person I was before. I want to be better. See, people got it all mixed up… the message I was sending got skewed. Polly Playtime didn’t get it, and I’m not sure Kandis got it either, even in victory. Whereas Polly WAS all about climbing the ladder, Kandis turned out to be beyond reach. This was a situation I was more than prepared for. I wanted to stop the Jackals in their tracks, but it turned out I wasn’t capable. And Kandis position in the rankings right now shows that there was no shame in that. People are focusing on the fact I was World Champion, and no doubt there are those that expected me to storm through the SCW like a whirlwind and be back on a perch before the first shoots of spring were seen. I was a little more realistic, and that’s why there was no comments, no excuses when Kandis handed me my ass by categorically pinning me for the three count. Right now, in this moment, she beat me, because she has evolved into something better than me RIGHT NOW. But believe me, it won’t be forever. 

Enter Nate Chapel.

Now, Nate, Polly, even Drake… these are far more useful indicators of where I am right now. People can’t forget the past and what I’ve done, and that’s fine. I wouldn’t expect them too. This is my level, facing people who just like me want to make an impact in this company and break through the glass ceiling and into the main event. Every single match, including Kandis, is all part of a RE-learning curve, and that’s why losing to Kandis was far from shameful, as it wouldn’t have been either if I’d succumbed to Drake, Polly, or Nate. What would have been shameful if I hadn’t taken those defeats on the chin and learned from them. 

Because that’s the thing.

Whereas people are having to get used to a new, and hopefully improved Owen, that same can be said for me. A lot has been made over the past couple of weeks, of my position as possibly the fastest wrestler in Supreme Championship Wrestling. It seems kinda inevitable that Alexis Quinne and I are going to be match together at possibly the next premium event, a match between two individuals where if you blink, then you’ll miss something. And perhaps that true, maybe I’m the quickest, maybe I’m not. But one thing is for certain, and it is a categorical fact that Nate found out for himself. Whereas perhaps before I WAS a one trick pony and relied on my speed to get myself into trouble, or rebound out of it if required, NOW I have many more strings to my bow. Strings that I know would serve me well in the Underground, for the Television title, or indeed the Adrenaline Belt. The commentators haven’t picked up on that, Nate certainly didn’t pick up on it. But Nate did, right after ONE ODE rendered him incapable of kicking out. A Heart Punch delivered with such pace, and precision, I believe it could put down ANYONE. Speed, Technical ability, Precision, Power and Courage… I consider all those my primary attributes. And when that comes together, just like it did in those closing stages against Nate Chapel, I know I can now not only be quick, but also be devastating. Anyone, including Alexis Quinne, who believes I’m ONLY a speed merchant better think again. And one day, very soon, with more experience of wrestling this way I’ll be one of the most complete wrestlers on this roster. A hybrid...”

Owen pauses with a grin on his face, a reference to Orlando stated as obviously as he possibly could. Orlando had once been a Power wrestler, Desolation persuading him he needed to be much more. That persuasion bringing forth the birth of the Icon.

“That’s the path I am currently taking. The journey I am on. A journey that has led me to you…”

He runs his fingers through his hair, tilting his head ever so slightly to one side.

“… Derek Adonis.”

He smiles, this was one of those moments that perhaps before would have garnered a certain reaction, but not anymore. 

“There was a time when just the mere mention of your name was treated as nothing more than comic relief. In fact, I think the last time we faced off it was a gimmick match including grease or gunk… gonna be honest it’s a match I’ve tried to forget. And you know something, back in the day my status was such I would have probably treated you as that comic relief you were known for. You would have gotten very long odds on you beating me, no question. Thing is though Derek, I don’t have that kinda status anymore, I’m in the exact same chasing pack as you are. In fact, I’ve no doubt many will say that you are higher up the food chain, and if I was honest with myself, I’d probably be inclined to agree. I can’t come out here and say you’re a joke, because you’re a former Champion, which means that just like Polly, Nate and Drake, you are someone that I NEED to beat. Because no matter whether I achieve my goals or not, the one thing I refuse to be is filler on this roster like you once were. I won’t give the SCW the excuse like I did towards the end of my first tenure in this company. I can guarantee you something Derek, that prior match I speak of, the one I’ve forgotten, I wouldn’t have been focused on you, far from it. How could I have been considering the ridiculous stipulations? All I would have wanted was to get it all over with and get out that arena as soon as possible. And therein lies something else I have learned since I have been away. A laser focus… an ability to remain undistracted whilst everything else transpires around me. Where nothing else matters but the process. Can you handle that Derek? Can you handle that level of intensity?”

Owen smirks again.

“We don’t have long till we find out right?”

Nodding his head, he gets to his feet, and walks around the back of the chair on which he was sat, placing both hands on the back.

“Because unlike some Derek, present company excluded, I’m not afraid of doing the hard miles to get what I want. What I’ve been through the last six months, seriously, all of this is nothing more than a tea party, and it isn’t a redemption story such as yours based off something as comparatively insignificant as losing a title. You won’t catch me jumping queues like some have suggested, and you won’t hear me making demands without backing them up with actions. If I beat you Derek, and make it four wins out of five, will that be enough to make people sit up and take notice? 

I don’t know. 

What I do know is that there are not many in this company with that kind of momentum right now. If I keep winning, if I keep climbing, then it will just make me harder and harder to ignore. Trusting the process, something I was too ignorant to do before, WILL bring me my rewards. And I’m not just talking about titles, or trophies. I apologize to Selena, but I’m sure she will understand… those rewards will bring back this companies BELIEF… in ME. Beating you Derek, no matter how little a step it might seem in the grand scheme of things, IS a step towards the one thing I want more than anything. 

Redemption.

Do YOU understand where others obviously couldn’t? Has your journey thus far given you the foresight to take on board that I am a far different person to the one that left SCW after taking Hold of the Flame? I hope so Derek, because ultimately, I cannot get to where I want to be without the competition that once I shunned, walking away from a company I once loved. Competition that I now crave.”

He squeezes the back of the chair, his knuckles whitening, as the adrenaline starts to take over.

“Shoe on the other foot bro, I understand who you are Derek. You’re a man who craves the Television Championship, it’s what has come to define you over the past few months. You’re a man who does his best work when people give him very little chance of success. It was that methodology that allowed you to become the ‘Champion of Television’ in the first place, and I’m guessing that it is the reasoning for you claiming several victories over the course of your career. You pride yourself on being the underdog, the story that everyone can get behind. You want your opponents to believe that you suck, because it makes your life a while lot easier. And this is where you come unstuck Derek, because I’m not going to allow you to do that. Not today, or any day for that matter. My preparation for you, is the same as it was for Kandis, I’ve done the homework and I know how to beat you; I know several ways to beat you in fact. But more importantly, and probably decisively, I haven’t for one second entertained the fact that you suck. Not once. And that’s why I believe that you will fail, because put quite simply, you’re reliant on that one trick. 

Smoke and mirrors. The Drunken Master

A one trick pony, just like I was before. I got found out Derek… and so have you. Only difference between us, I did something about it.”

He let’s go of the chair and places his hands in the pockets of his jacket.

“In closing Derek, know this. Know that when we step into the ring, no matter our history, I will treat you with the respect that a former champion, a champion in SCW’s recent history in fact, deserves. If you do manage to pull off a victory over me, however unlikely I may believe that to be, I sincerely hope you get another shot at your ‘precious’… seeing as it seems to be the only thing that you truly care about. I get your need, but believe me Derek, my need is greater. Your victory would be a piece of history yes, but my redemption will DEFINE the course of MY history. It will help erase the darkest period of my life and give me back who I am.”

Owen nods his head.

“So, you think can overcome that level of desire? Go ahead Derek, seriously… give it your best shot. In fact, that’s precisely what I ask of you, the very best Derek Adonis that you can be. Because only by beating the best, can I make my way through this minefield, and emerge from the other side. Not just the wrestler, but the person I was supposed to be. It’s not going to be easy; I know that. I know full well that there will be road humps and pitfalls along the way. But I’ll be busting a gut to ensure that you are nothing more than the latest obstacle that I overcome. More Polly than Kandis. Another indicator of where I stand. My status, my placement in the greatest wrestling organization in the world.”

Owen affords himself another smirk, before winking at the camera.

“Climbing that ladder, surpassing you, regardless of what you’ve achieved of late, and moving on to the next slab in the road, whoever that may be.”

He flicks his hair from in front of his eyes.

“See you soon bro. I’ve a feeling this is going to be a good one.”

He salutes the camera as the scene fades