Supreme Championship Wrestling

Full Version: Taking Hold of the Flame Battle Royal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Winner receives a World Championship opportunity at Rise to Greatness XIX
Forty-entrant over the top rope timed entry battle royal

2 RP Limit per character
Deadline: 11:59:59 pm ET Friday, June 3, 2022
        Ace Sky is backstage, his jet black hair is a man bun with the sides shaven, his brown eyes are full of his usual boyish optimism continue to make him look youthful despite the lines on his forehead showing his age of 40. Even with his beard he looks like he could pull off college age. His Texan drawl comes out when he gets more passionate. He has on his new white tights decorated in emblems of Third Eyes and stars. He is wearing his trademark navy blue aviator jacket that is also decorated
with many accoutrements of flags from Texas, the universal peace flag, and emblems of stars, rockets, peace signs and the quantum physics emblem.

cutting a promo for the battle royal, he is in a very positive mood due to his debut win.

Ace Sky:
         I have spent my whole life fighting from under, from being undersized and underestimated. 
        I keep fighting, that is what I do. I hold advantages experientially, mentally , physically and even  spiritually.
        I am TRANSCENDT, I will continue to transcend the competition here at SCW. 

A lot may be bigger in size , none have a bigger brain. I am winning the head game, the athletic game.
       I will continue to transcend to the top of the rankings and soon I will be champion.

Ooc: 1 of 2 for Glory. Amelia as always appears with permission.
========

==========
May 26th, 2022
St. Louis, Missouri
Off Camera
==========

SCW Breakdown from St. Louis went exactly the way Glory Braddock had hoped it would. The British Bombshell defeated Polly Playtime via submission to gain much needed momentum heading into the next big marquee event on the calendar; Taking Hold of the Flame. This isn’t just any marquee event, either. Taking Hold of the Flame begins the march towards Rise To Greatness, and the main event, battle royal itself, will decide who will get the SCW World Title Match at Rise To Greatness. Braddock has been in the main event of Rise To Greatness before, she had to use her Trios Contract to get herself there. Now she realizes that her only path to Rise To Greatness and the World Championship is through the battle royal. It truly is all or nothing for The British Bombshell. This year Taking Hold of the Flame holds great importance because it is a must win scenario for Glory Braddock. She must win if she hopes to get another shot at the SCW World Championship anytime soon.

Braddock’s journey has been a unique one, very different from previous years. Braddock is used to being a solo act but this year she has taken on not one but two students under her wing; one, a wrestler-in-training named Fiona Osbourne and the other a young lady who recently made her SCW debut, Amelia Stone. The British Bombshell has always been hesitant about taking anyone and personally mentoring them. Yet despite her own personal misgivings about the situation, Glory has found great success both personally and professionally while mentoring Amelia and Fiona. Professionally she has rediscovered her own passion for professional wrestling. Braddock has gone on to win some significant matches in recent weeks and now looks to potentially making a run at the World Championship by winning Taking Hold of the Flame. Personally she has remembered just who she used to be as a human being; a fun loving young woman, full of energy, who just wants to help people and do what is right.

It is that last part that still gets her in trouble; after all, doing what is right is almost never easy, and it is very often controversial. In this case, doing what is right centers entirely around none other than Fiona Osbourne. The British Bombshell has known for quite some time now that her young protege only just recently escaped the abusive care of her ruthless and uncaring foster father Todd Osbourne. Now Glory has learned that Fiona knows next to nothing about her actual parents. Fiona’s true past and true history is completely unknown to her. Fiona insists that she does not need to know about her past nor does she want to know about her past, but Glory Braddock is convinced that the truth can help. Glory feels that facing one’s past is a good way to heal and move onto a better future. Therefore, despite Fiona’s insistence upon not knowing, and despite the warnings from Kurt Logan, Glory’s husband, Glory has decided to stick her nose into this situation.

Immediately upon the conclusion of Breakdown, Braddock urged Amelia and Fiona to go on back to the hotel ahead of her. Glory brushed the two young students away, assuring them that she would be fine, that she had an errand she needed to run before going back to the hotel in St. Louis. Braddock didn’t tell them that the errand in question is a planned meeting with a private investigator that she had hired to do some research into Fiona’s past. It is night time, nearing closing time for Citygarden Sculpture Park in St. Louis, Missouri. Braddock is seated on a black iron bench, dressed in denim jeans, black boots, and a plain purple t-shirt. Her long blonde hair is pulled into a ponytail in the back.

This isn’t the first time Glory has had dealings with private investigators. It was just over a year ago that Glory Braddock was paying a private investigator to dig up dirt on the members of her company’s board of directors so that she could use the information against them, to blackmail them into doing whatever she wanted. It wasn’t exactly her proudest of moments. It certainly wasn’t the Braddock way. But Glory has found her way again, she knows right from wrong, and she is again dealing with private investigators, but this time she believes it is for all the right reasons.

Braddock is alerted as she hears the sound of footsteps from off in the distance. More specifically, it is the sound of someone stepping through leaves and grass, which ordinarily wouldn’t create that much noise, but on a night as quiet and still as this one, it is clearly enough to catch the attention of The British Bombshell. Glory stands up and turns around, expecting her private investigator to be approaching. She sighs with a sense of disappointment as she sees her young protege, Amelia Stone, making her way over to the bench.

“Amelia? What on earth are you doing here?”

“Looking for you.” Amelia responds quickly and simply. “Why did you ditch me?”

“I didn’t ditch you. I told you and Fiona to go back to the hotel.” Braddock pauses. She thinks that if Amelia is here, Fiona potentially could be here too, and that would ruin everything. “If you’re here, then where IS Fiona?”

“Back at the hotel.” Amelia grins. “At least, I think so.”

“You THINK so?!”

“Well I never went back to the hotel with her.” Amelia says, shrugging her shoulders. “I told her you needed me and that she should go on to the hotel without us.”

“So you lied?”

“No, I just assumed you needed me.”

“You know what they say happens when you assume things? You make an ass out of you and me.”

“Ass? Out of you and….oh I get it!” Amelia begins to chuckle softly. Glory pats her on the back.

“Thanks for thinking about me, mate, but I think I have things well in hand. So why don’t you go on back to the hotel with Fiona, ok? Make sure she’s ok.”

“It sounds like you’re trying to ditch me again.”

“I’m not trying to ditch you. I’m just waiting on someone…”

“And you found someone. Me!” Amelia says, grinning from ear to ear. Glory can’t help but chuckle, despite her own frustrations. She would much rather Amelia leave and go back to the hotel. She doesn’t want her involved in this. But at the same time it doesn’t look like Amelia is going to leave anytime soon, and on top of that the private investigator will be here any second. Braddock sighs and nods her head.

“Fine. You can stay.”

“Yay!” Amelia says, jumping up and down excitedly. “Sooooo what are you doing here?”

“First of all sit down, ok?” Glory says, motioning to the bench. Amelia nods and sits down. Braddock sits down next to her. “Next, you have to promise not to say anything to Fiona. Ok?”

“Oh a secret? Cool!”

“You’ll keep this a secret right?!”

“I promise!”

“Great.” Glory sighs, still unsure if she can fully trust Amelia with this secret. But still, there’s little she can do about it now. “How much do you know about Fiona?”

“She’s not a good karaoke singer. Oh and I know that tacos give her bad gas. And…”

“Besides all that.” Glory says with a wry grin on her face. Amelia pauses to think for a moment and then shrugs her shoulders.

“Uh…I dunno…”

“About her past? What was she and where was she before she joined us?”

“Oh that! Yeah, Fiona talked to me about this before. Her parents abandoned her and she was raised by an abusive jerk named Todd. She was a model and that introduced her to your cousin who introduced her to you and the rest is history!”

“Right, that’s all she told you and that’s all she told me, and that’s because apparently that’s all she knows.”

“Seriously?” Amelia asks, sounding somewhat surprised. Glory nods her head.

“Yes, unfortunately Fiona knows next to nothing about where she really comes from. Now she claims it doesn’t bother her but I’m telling you, Amelia, I can sense that deep down inside it does bother her not knowing who she really is and where she really came from. And I intend to do whatever I can to help her.”

“How are you going to do that?”

“That’s why I’m here tonight. I hired a private investigator to look into her past for me. I hope he’s got some information for me.”

“So wait a sec, Fiona said she doesn’t care?”

“She claims it doesn’t bother her but I don’t believe her.” Glory responds. Amelia shrugs her shoulders.

“I dunno, Glory. Why do you think its so important if it isn’t that important to Fiona?”

“I know what Fiona said, but I don’t believe her. I think deep down inside she really does care, she really does want to know about her past. Besides, even if she doesn’t care, I still think it is important to know your past and to know where you came from. You can learn a great deal from your past.”

“Oh yeah, that’s right!” Amelia’s face brightens up. “Fiona could be like, uh, a filthy rich heiress, or maybe next in line to the English throne!”

“Pretty sure Charles is next in line…and besides that, Fiona isn’t even English!”

“Oh, duh!” Amelia and Glory share a laugh together. The laughter drowns out the sound of another set of footsteps making their way through the park and closer to the two women sitting on the bench. This time it is a silhouette of a male. Eventually the male figure gets closer, close enough that Glory can see him out of the corner of her eye. Braddock stands up, and Amelia follows suit. They turn and find a brown haired gentlemen in dress pants and a light blue button up shirt approaching them. The British Bombshell extends a hand as he approaches.

“Aaron! Nice to see you again!” Glory exclaims. Aaron accepts her handshake. She then turns and motions to Amelia. “Aaron, this is Amelia. Amelia, this is Aaron, the private investigator I told you about.”

“Nice to meet you mister Aaron.” Amelia remarks.

“Likewise.” Aaron says gruffly. He looks up at Glory. “Shall we speak in private?”

“Are you sure that’s necessary?”

“I am sure it is, Ms. Braddock.” Aaron looks annoyingly at Amelia, who sticks her tongue out at him. Glory sighs and nods her head.

“Fine.” She turns to face Amelia. “You go on back to the hotel, ok? Tell Fiona I’ll be right there.”

“But what about all this?”

“Don’t worry, mate, I’ll tell you everything later.” Glory says, winking at Amelia. Amelia still doesn’t really want to go but reluctantly nods her head and turns to walk away. She knows that she can trust on Glory to spill the beans. She will learn the juicy details later. Once Amelia is out of sight, Braddock turns her attention back to Aaron. She folds her arms over her chest and stares impatiently at the private investigator.

“Well? What do you have for me?”

“I do want to point out that this task you gave me was rather difficult, Ms. Braddock; young Ms. Osbourne is almost an unknown. Finding out anything about her was a challenge.”

“If you’re playing at a sympathy angle hoping I’ll give you more money then you can forget it. I’ve already paid you a rather generous sum of money MORE than what your usual pay rate is, and I paid you more because I did know how challenging this would be. So don’t expect to get anything else from me, ok mate?”

“I’m simply curious as to how important this information really is to you, Ms. Braddock.”

“And I’m telling you that this isn’t the first time I’ve dealt with your type, mate.” Braddock remarks coldly. “Remember, Aaron, I haven’t finished paying you everything I promised to pay you. Tell me what you have learned and I will give you this check I have in my pocket for the rest of what you’re owed. Otherwise our deal is off.”

“Very well.” Aaron says with a half-smirk on his face. “I suppose we can start…and finish…with the parents.”

“Start and finish?” Glory asks curiously. “What do you mean by that?”

“All I managed to learn about this Fiona Osbourne is the identity of her parents, and I learned very little about that, to be honest.”

“You’re joking!”

“I am NOT joking. I told you that she was a virtual unknown. There was very little information to be found. Now if you want to hear what I have to say then let me speak, otherwise you can be on your way without hearing any of it.” Aaron says nastily. Glory rolls her eyes and nods her head.

“Fine. What do you know about her parents? Do you know their names?”

“I do not know their names. What I did find out is that they were both drug addicts. Their drug addiction led to other small time crimes, such as petty robbery and theft in order to maintain their drug habit. At some point the female got pregnant and had a child. The most likely reason they carried the child to full term was because they couldn’t afford an abortion. But obviously these two weren’t going to let a little thing like parenthood get in the way of their drug habit, so they abandoned the child.”

“Where are the parents now?” Glory asks.

“My research shows that they both died in a shootout with police.”

“You know that they died in a shootout with police but you don’t know their damn names?!” Glory says, fury and anger entering her face. Aaron smirks.

“I can probably learn their names…for a price.”

“Fuck you!” Glory exclaims angrily. She reaches into her pocket, produces the check, and hands it to Aaron. “Take your damn money and get the hell out of my face!”

“Very well.” He looks at the check and grins. “It was nice business with you, Ms. Braddock.”

Aaron turns and walks away with the check in hand. Glory is fuming as she watches him walk away. She is also disappointed about what she learned. This wasn’t exactly the information she had hoped to find out. Will this kind of history help Fiona or harm her? Perhaps Glory should keep all of this new information to herself?

==========
May 28th, 2022
Miami, Florida
Off Camera
==========

It is Saturday morning, just a little over one full day since Glory Braddock’s nighttime meeting in St. Louis with her private investigator to learn about the past, the background of her young protege Fiona Osbourne. Braddock had high hopes that the information she would learn would somehow be beneficial to Fiona’s growth as a person. Instead what she learned from Aaron the PI is that Fiona was merely the product of two drug users and thieves, nothing more and nothing less. Braddock had hoped that whatever she had learned about Fiona’s past would be beneficial to the young girl, but how can this new information be beneficial? The British Bombshell went to the trouble to pay for a private investigator so that she could learn this information but now she is beginning to second guess herself. Maybe ignorance truly is bliss? The other question on the mind of The British Bombshell is Aaron himself. Could he be lying about this? He certainly was very rude, crude, and uncaring. He certainly gave off the impression that he was a slimy con artist. Could he have made up this whole story about Fiona coming from common crooks?

All of this is on the mind of Glory Braddock as she laces into the heavy bag at her private gym in Miami, Florida. Working out is a good way to deal with frustrations and anxiety, and right now is the perfect time to work out, especially with Taking Hold of the Flame coming up. Braddock is dressed in purple workout shorts, and a white t-shirt. She is punching the heavy with heavy rights and lefts. She throws the occasional kick so as to work out her leg muscles as well. This continues for a few more minutes until the sound of the door opening startles Glory to attention. She stops assaulting the heavy bag to turn around and see her students, Amelia and Fiona, entering the gym.

“Hey! You ditched us!” This is the familiar voice of Amelia Stone. This makes the second time in less than forty-eight hours Glory ditched the pair. Amelia and Fiona don’t find it very funny but Glory does, as it shows on the ear to ear grin she is sporting.

“Yeah! What gives?” Fiona asks. Glory shrugs her shoulders.

“Well the best I recall, this past Monday you ditched me and left me at home to come here to train by yourselves.”

“No we di…” Amelia starts to protest but then sighs and nods her head “...ok, fine, we did.”

“It was her idea.” Fiona says in an attempt to throw Amelia under the bus. “Why am I getting punished?”

“Guilt by association.”

“Fair enough.” Fiona answers, shrugging her shoulders. Glory approaches the pair. She takes appraisal of them; she notices Amelia is already wearing her gear while Fiona is still wearing her pajamas. Glory chuckles softly and points to the locker room area.

“Ok Fiona, you need to get changed into your gear. Amelia, you can stay here and we’ll get started.”

“Ok. I’ll be back!” Fiona rushes off towards the locker room area. Glory meanwhile turns back to the heavy bag and begins pounding away at it with rights and lefts. Once Fiona is out of sight, Amelia approaches the heavy bag cautiously.

“So, uh, what’s up?”

“What do you mean, what’s up?”

“Oh come on, Glory, don’t play dumb. You know what I mean.”

“I honestly have no idea.” Glory says, lying right through her teeth.

“You ran me off when that Aaron guy came by to talk to you Thursday night after Breakdown. You told me that you would tell me everything but you still haven’t. So come on, tell me!”

The British Bombshell stops punching the heavy bag and sighs deeply. She isn’t sure she wants to tell Amelia, she isn’t sure Amelia would even want to know if she actually had any idea what the truth was; but Glory did promise to tell her. Braddock nods her head.

“Well as it turns out Aaron wasn’t much help.”

“So he had nothing?”

“Ohe had something alright.” Braddock sighs. “But it wasn’t much. All he told me was that Fiona’s parents were both drug users. They committed petty crime to keep up their drug habit. When Fiona was born they abandoned her because, well, obviously they only cared about their drugs, they didn’t care about being parents. And according to Aaron they both died in a shootout with police.”

“Seriously?!” Amelia is in shock upon hearing this. “Are you sure?”

“Hell, I’m not sure that was the truth. Aaron was rude, an absolute jerk, and an absolute con artist. I wouldn’t be surprised if he just made that shit up.”

“So are you going to get another private investigator to confirm if what he said was true?” Amelia asks. Glory shakes her head.

“What’s the point? Maybe I should just drop this whole thing? It hasn’t proven fruitful. It hasn’t achieved what I had hoped it would achieve. I mean, there’s no way this could help Fiona.”

“Speaking of Fiona…” Amelia’s voice trails off “...are you still gonna tell her?”

Braddock opens her mouth to respond but she is quickly cut off by the third member of their trio. “Tell me what?” Braddock and Amelia turn to see Fiona approaching. She has already gotten changed into her workout gear. That was much quicker than Glory and Amelia had anticipated. Fiona approaches the heavy bag where Glory and Amelia are and folds her arms over chest, expecting an explanation. Glory, for her part, has little explanation to give.

“Uh, well, I was going to tell you that…training for Taking Hold of the Flame begins now!”

“Really?” Fiona asks, looking on skeptically. “I haven’t even made my debut yet, and I’m definitely not signed up for Taking Hold of the Flame.”

“Yes but training is always beneficial! Especially my training! It’s fory competitors so I need you two and thirty seven more to fight me all at once so I can definitely be ready for anything that might happen and…” Glory’s voice trails off as she sees Fiona chuckling softly and shaking her head. Fiona is clearly not buying any of this.

“Glory, just stop. I know that you hired a PI to look into my past.”

“How…” Glory sighs deeply and shakes her head “...how did you know?”

“I overheard Amelia talking about it.” Fiona states, pointing to Amelia, who just smiles sheepishly. Glory shakes her head.

“Look, Fiona, I’m sorry. I really and truly am. But believe me, I only had the best of intentions. I have always believed that facing your past will only make you stronger. Yet in you I saw someone who knew NOTHING about her past. I thought I was doing you a favor by trying to find out about your past for you.” Braddock says this and waits for Fiona’s response. Her response is a somewhat surprising laugh.

“Then I suppose I should apologize to you.”

“Why on earth should you apologize to me?”

“Because I lied to you.” Fiona says with a grin. “I already knew all about my biological parents.”

“How did you find out? I thought you were abandoned at birth?”

“I was…” she sighs “...but you know how well connected my foster father was, right? Well he found out about my past. He would frequently use my past against me as a psychological weapon to make me feel bad about myself, to make me feel less than human. He would taunt me about how my parents were druggies who didn’t care about me and didn’t want me.” Tears form in Fiona’s eyes. “So eventually I just started doing my best to try and forget about my parents. And sometimes it would work. But inevitably the memories would come back.”

“Thanks to me…” Glory says quietly. Fiona shakes her head and places a hand on Glory’s shoulder.

“No, it wasn’t your fault. If anything, you helped me. I mean, I cannot just simply forget about my past. But I can overcome it. I was abandoned by my biological parents who didn’t want me, my foster parents only wanted to use me, but now I have a real family…you and Kurt are like parents to me. Amelia, Dawn, Melinda are like sisters to me. And since I see no reason to remain attached to the last name of a jerk who only wanted to use me and abuse me, I have decided that I want to legally change my name…” Fiona wipes tears from her eyes “...to Fiona Logan.”
Light bursts into a room and fills an otherwise black space. A chair is bolted to the floor in the middle of the room, and a woman is strapped to that chair by every appendage. As the light sweeps across her face, she wakes up and sits up. But her eyes do not open. They do not remain closed out of fear of being blinded by the light that has been violently introduced. But because they are either swollen shut from the damage that’s been done to them or sealed shut by the dried blood caked over them. The woman’s head swivels from side to side, and her mouth curls in preparation to produce a blood curdling scream to match the blood boiling anger and fear she now feels.

That scream does not come. But a calmness does. Her head which had been too heavy for her shoulders the moment the light touched it had now steadied. Her fingers which had clawed at the wooden arm rest she was strapped to until her fingertips, still devoid of fingernails, began to bleed, relaxed and settled, even wiggling genially as they settled still. The man entering dropped a tool bag at the woman’s feet. It wasn’t sealed and several instruments poked out of the top. All were rusty. Most were bloody.

Squatting down and leaning on his knees, the man smiled and looked into the slits the woman had for eyes, and blinked slowly. He looked pleasant enough with his scrubs and butches apron. He even smelt nice, what little her broken nose could smell. And then snapped the rubber glove on his left hand, to signal that they were about to begin. Again. Pulling a pair of pliers from the back, he stood up and greeted her the way he’d always done so.

Good morning Do-

Miles and an entire year away from that room, Sarah wakes up in a much different one. She does not swing dramatically for a face that isn't there. She does not grab at her wrists trying to free herself from confines long since removed or anything like that. She throws her feet over the side of the bed and grabs her cigarettes off the nightstand. She smacks the bottom of the soft pack and grips the one that pops out with her teeth. A moment later the zippo lighter is back on the table and her lungs are filling with smoke. She doesn’t look at her wrists and the marks that those straps left behind. She doesn’t feel her fingernails to remind herself they’ve grown back.

She just stands up, cracks her back, shoulders and neck and starts her day the same way she’s started it every day since then.

Angry as fuck.

She stepped into the kitchen of her basement apartment, which is just the corner of the one room, and looked into the fridge. Half a Vitamin water. An almost empty bottle of vodka. Some milk that isn’t quite cottage cheese but has long since passed the ‘liquid’ stage. And a single piece of cake on a disposable plate that has made the napkin covering it a part of it completely. Mumbling under her breath, Sarah shuts the door and ashes her cigarette into the sink. Grabbing a pair of pants off the floor, she slides them on and slips her feet into some boots without concern of socks, and heads out the door.

Walking slowly down the sidewalk with the cigarette between her lips, she passes mailmen delivering mail, and crossing guards getting ready for children to exit nearby schools. And not one of them looks in her direction. Fear or experience, we can’t be sure. But she is, and it warms her black heart just a tiny bit.

Reaching the Cowboy cafe, Sarah pulls on the door but finds it locked. Inside, an older-than-she-looks, but looks-pretty-fucking-old woman is behind a counter, counting money while two young men wash tables like 19 year olds fuck. They’re not really doing a good job and they just want to finish already. Looking up from the cash in hand, she shakes her head no, and Sarah shakes her head yes just as emphatically. The woman slams the money down and walks over to the door, opening it slightly.

Barb…The woman says, using the name Sarah has given her. We’re closed. You know we close at 2pm each and every day, and yet each and every day you show up at 2pm on the dot.

Gladys, I am far too hungry to go through this. I know it’s our schtick, and I’m very fun to talk to, but just let me get my food and I’ll be gone. You know you’re going to let me in. Why waste both our ti-

FINE! ..come on in a’ready.

Thank you, I love you SO much.Sarah didn’t love her. In fact Sarah stopped listening to her the second she stepped foot inside. She’d say that and Gladys, the oldest whore in Medora, would go on and on about her husband and all the cliche shit women say about them before going home and licking their taint so hard their old balls empty onto their shoulder. Sarah would wait until these terrible anecdotes were over and then she’d say the same thing she’d always say…

Tell your boy to make me a Turkey BLT, extra mayo on the SIDE, with some fries and rings, and…what pie you have left?

We ran out of all ‘cept Raisin Sour Cream.

huh. Wonder why. Ok. Just that then.

We actually got some good rice pudding. It’s not pie..

You’re right. It’s not. So no thank you.

Doesn’t have any raisins in it, though. On account of that we used them all for the sour cream and raisin pie. I could pick some of them out from the pie, if you’d like.

No. Just the TBLT and fries, please.

No onion rings?

…yes. I want onion rings. I’m sorry I neglected to say it that time.

you know what…

…what...

I bet you if I took some of the raisins and just scooped them into the pudding, you’d never know the difference. Bet that sour cream is gonna just mesh with the rest of it, because we did use a little to offset the sugar in the pudding.

Sarah Wolf was not currently known for, nor never would be again, known for her restraint. She was a vile and vicious woman who sought to hurt others as she had been hurt. Not because it’s freeing, or because it shows you the value of the life you have. But becase fuck you.

She wanted to slam the saddle bagged bitch upside the head with a napkin holder until her face fell off. They frown on stuff like that, unfortunately. So kindness was the name of the weapon she’d have to kill her with.

Gladys. Please put in my order. I really don’t want to keep you here any longer than I have to.

It’s not a bother at all. Just sit yourself right down and I’ll be back in a flash.

Great. Thank you.

Sitting at the counter, Sarah watched as the sun dried whore vanished into the back of the kitchen. Sarah took a breath. A deep one. The hard part about working two jobs where you get to hurt people is that often it bleeds into the parts of life where it doesn’t belong. Civilized society says that you can’t knock someone's teeth down their throat for not using a turn signal and cutting you off, or having too many items in the express lane. Civilized society says you have to be understanding. Civilized society says you have to just go home and drink a glass of wine and pretend it didn’t make you want to break a jaw.

Civilized society should get fucked like a two dollar whore on payday.

One thing I’d like to make crystal clear to anyone and everyone is my intent. I am not a midcarder. I am not a ‘free meal.’ I didn’t come here to just be a contender. To just be a nameless face or faceless name lost in a crowd of 38 others who couldn’t hack it. I didn’t come here to ‘make a name.’ I already have a name. I came here to make a reputation.”

“I have one currently. One that I’ve built and rebuilt from the ground up. I started as a fan, transitioned to a manager, to an agent, and then finally a competitor. Not because there wasn’t any talent worth being a fan of, or managing or being an agent of. Because there wasn’t any talent that was anywhere as good as me. That’s how I used to see it, anyhow. Now I’ve got a different perspective.”

“ I’m not going to proclaim myself to be this unmovable object. Puff out my chest and tell you that ‘you’ll never get past me because I’m’ whatever nickname or monicker I’m using that week. We’ve all heard that a hundred times from a hundred different people in a hundred different ways. The only thing more common than it not being true is the fact that literally everyone in this business thinks it’s absolutely false about everyone else and absolutely true about them. Call me the wild card but I don’t think I’m the best ever. Quite the contrary.”

“ I am literally the worst. ”

“ Maintaining friendships or even healthy work relationships? The worst. Keeping my nose out of other people's business? The worst. Treating people with dignity and respect? Again and again, if there is a qualifier of some sort that makes someone a good person, you can bet your very last dollar with one hundred percent certainty that in a list of 1 to 100…I’m going to be dead last, the worst fucking one of the lot. 38 other SC W’s are going to climb into that ring, and one of us is going to be remembered as the winner. The one with the prize of going all the way to the top to challenge for the most coveted prize in the industry. And another is going to be remembered as the literal worst behaved person anyone has ever seen. The one who took advantage. The one who caused needless suffering for no reason other than the sheer joy it brought them. Did they want to win? Or did they just want to watch someone scream? Guess which one I intend on being?”

Wrong, you muppet made of a jizz sock.”

“It’s both.”

The bag of food tucked securely under her arm, Sarah exits the cafe and places her sunglasses back over her eyes. Muttering to herself over the fact that she left her cigarettes at home, she picks up her pace, and is just about to cross the street, when she is stepped in front of by Christy Suarez. whose mother’s full time job is hairdresser and her part time job is match maker, and Christy had made it her mission in life to grow up just like mom.

Sarah was at the point where she wanted to duct tape her to an out of state bound truck.

Christy. Please. Not today.

Now you just hold on and let me make my case, Barb! Have you seen that Jeremy West? He is just about the cutest thing. And I hear tell he don’t mind your tattoos none much either.

Christy. I am no-

Don’t tell me you aint interested when I know every car gonna need a mechanic and from the look on your face I can tell you ain’t had your hood with someone up under it in quite some time. This is my business, I know these things, hon!

Jesus Christy, you have to stop quoting your mom…

Barbara..Just go out with him once. Maybe ya’ll will hit it off!

Christy, I’ll tell you what. I want you to go to this James..

Jeremy.

…And I want you to ask him how he feels about pegging. If he agrees to do it with me, I’ll gladly go out with him. Ok?

….ok, but what is that?.

It’s like dancing. Do you like dancing?

I do! Is it fun?

It’s the most f-...Listen I’m gonna be honest with you, this got away from me. So I’m going to give you some money, and you promise me to never mention any of this again, ok?

aw, that was a bad word?

How bad of a word do you think it is?

$20 bucks worth?

...done.

Sarah pulled out her wallet and slipped a $20 bill into the little girl's hand. The girl smiled, and rode off. Sarah had known for quite a while that the girl had only ever talked to her in the hopes that Sarah would say something off color, and the little girl could blackmail her for it. But when a child rides up to you and gives you the chance to curse them out for $20, well that’s what she would call a win-win. Also, what she called ‘therapy.’

And at least this time it was cheap. Last time she made a remark about moving somewhere with less kids and while she never said where exactly she was referring to, Christy made a very good case as to what others would believe.

Whatever nest egg this kid was building off Sarah’s inability to not say the wrong thing might have doubled if not more.

Growing up, one of my favorite types of restaurants was always the buffet ones. As a child you are told what to eat, how to eat, when to eat it, etc. Protein and Veg and starch and then you have dessert. Or salad, and then pasta, and then protein, and then dessert. But at a buffet all the rules went out the window. You could have your dessert alongside your veg and then have your protein later. You could eat pasta and cake at the same time if you chose. Why did this rule only exist within the confines of a buffet restaurant? Why didn’t it exist anywhere else in life? Here at SCW, it does. At Flame, 39 others and myself get to behave as if this business doesn’t have layers or levels or rules of engagement. The newcomers like myself get the chance to take on tried and true veterans and veteranettes, who we’d usually have to go weeks before even getting a glimpse of, let alone put fists to face. We can fight the appetizer Ducky, as well as the starch that is Konrad Raab. I’m not going to compare all of these people to food because there’s 39 of them and that shits just boring to even think about doing. But you see my point. You get my point.

But do you get my reasoning? Do any of you see why this match appeals to me in such a way? So many people all at once, all vying for one thing. It is chaotic and it is almost impossible to win. Why would anyone look forward to something that could very easily go so wrong so quickly? Maybe it’s because the chaos is the reward, and seeing things go wrong for other people is just the right kind of sexy? Or so you might think. And so you’d be wrong.

I get the feeling a lot of you are wrong about a lot of things, though. Looking at the lot of you, ‘wrong’ is a word that comes up often and is redfined by some of you. Dancing bear and a badly named luchadore as tag team champions. Is it wrong that I think they’re only champions because the rest of you can’t stand each other enough to stop them? Is it wrong to think that some of you came here because gimmicks are more rampant than having the same last name, which is boggling if true? Is it wrong for you to think that I am only in this match to try and reach the pinnacle of the SCW championship? Would you be wrong to think that?

Yes.

Yes you would be.

This match does not make me wet because I could win a world title. This match makes me THROB because I get to hurt a lot of people in a very small amount of time. I don’t have to wait to be booked against this one or that one. I simply have to reach out and grab them. This isn’t a match. This is a buffet. And I intend to fill my plate multiple times. Whether I start with the obvious filler shit like onions rings, Calliope, or the goddamn snow crab legs, Matthew Knox. And just like the buffet places, I may not like it all, but I’ll finish it all.

And that’s why you’re wrong about this match, and you’re wrong about me.

And much like there are levels and layers to a buffet and this business, there are levels and layers to being wrong. You can expect a great fight out of someone like Tsunami, but you’d be barking up the wrong tree. You could expect to make someone like Datura that while they may have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed, that others were born on the wrong side of the tracks. You could be on the level that Asher Hayes is, who looks like the kind of guy who got off on the wrong foot with whatever happened to his face, or you could look at Kim Williams who laughs on the wrong side of her face. Or, you could be like me and assume a bunch of stuff about a bunch of people you didn’t have time to actually look into it, and have to find out just how wrong you can be.

But to the lot of you. Show up to this match and discount me because you don’t know me. Tell yourselves I’ve done nothing to no one worth knowing. Whatever it is that we do in this business when met with something we don’t fully understand; do that. And at the end of this, when all is said, and all is done. You will look at me. You will look to me. And find out the last and final layer or level to wrong, is being dead wrong.

And you might be one, or you might be the other, but for some of you jizz muppets..

It’s going to be both.

Sarah sat down at the small table in her basement apartment and unloaded her bag of food. She looked down at the TLBT, the Fries, The Onion Rings, and a small container of rice pudding that had a metric fuck ton of raisins which were covered in a material that was thicker than the rest of the pudding. Of course, from the earlier conversation we know this to be sour cream. Sarah would grab a spoon and put her feet up. She ate every drop of the rice pudding as sour cream be damned, it was very good.

The phone call that came an hour later on the other hand was not. A distressed mother asking why her daughter was searching for ‘pegging’ on ‘the google.’ With a laugh, Sarah grabbed her clothes and the few personal things she had and headed off to the next small town that would inevitably have enough of her shit.

Of course, they’d have other things to worry about besides giving chase. Like how someone went and burnt down that nice little cafe in the middle of the night.
1 of 2
======

==========
May 26th, 2022
St. Louis, Missouri
On Camera
==========

We are backstage after Breakdown has gone off the air. Cameras are still rolling, however, and they catch up to the eccentric, somewhat deranged, Kimberly Williams. The Woman Scorned is still wearing her torn denim jeans, black boots, and a Konrad Raab t-shirt with “Konrad Raab” marked out and “Oktoberfest” written underneath. The lunatic ginger has her SCW Underground Championship title belt draped over her right shoulder. Williams notices the cameras following her so she stops and turns to face them.

“I suppose you want me to comment about tonight? Well no one ever accused me of hiding from the spotlight, am I right?!” Kim throws her head back and cackles loudly. “See, ever since Retribution and that world title double jeopardy craziness, ever since then I have been telling the world that I only wanted one thing and one thing only, and that I would do anything to get it. I kidnapped people, I vandalized SCW property, I even walked off the job…” Kimberly sighs and shakes her head “...and I admit, that last bit wasn’t in my character. It wasn’t who I am. That was all Marie. And unfortunately, Marie’s scheming, manipulation, and cowardly tactics did not get me what I wanted. So I took matters into my own hands. Instead of making all sorts of intricate, complicated plans, I went back to what works for me…I became an agent of chaos. I just did things. I harassed Oktoberfest’s family. I mocked him in song…a damn good song, might I add…and ultimately, forced the hand of not only Oktoberfest but Shaun Cruiserweight as well. I earned my shot at the Underground Championship and I beat Oktoberfest inside the confines of the steel cage.” Kimberly pats her Underground Title belt.

“Now this is back where it belongs! I have reclaimed the one thing I have wanted! I am happy…” she snickers nastily “...but I am FAR from content. See, tonight I was trying to explain my future with the Underground Championship when I kept getting interrupted by the likes of Thunderlips, a fake as gem stone named Diamond whose ass I already kicked a few weeks ago on Breakdown, Alexis Quinne, Crystal Zdunich, both of whom have been doing so poorly as of late that they have to step into my lane onto my segment and interrupt MY television time in order keep themselves relevant? And all so they can tell the world that they are going to win Taking Hold of the Flame…” Kimberly shakes her head.

“It’s sad, actually. It’s sad that you are so down on your luck, so down in the gutter, and in the case of Thunderlips just so cheesy and pathetic, that you have to hedge all of your bets on Taking Hold of the Flame in order to earn any kind of self respect in this company. You are eyeing Taking Hold of the Flame as your ticket to the main event of Rise To Wasley and the SCW World Championship. Then again, you’re no different from the rest of them. In fact, there are thirty nine wrestlers who look at Taking Hold of the Flame as their way to achieve their dream of becoming SCW World Champion.” Kimberly shakes her head.

“But not this girl…I said back at Retribution that I don’t care about the SCW World Championship and I still don’t care about it. So why then am I entering Taking Hold of the Flame where the prize is a shot at the SCW World Title? Well part of it is just to be able to be the Grinch who stole Christmas. Or in this case, the Grinch who stole Rise to Wasley. I am going to win Taking Hold of the Flame and thus deny each and every one of those thirty nine other competitors their dream. But I’m not just doing this out of spite alone. I’m not that kind of a cold hearted bitch. I do have another motivation. Believe it or not, there is a method to my madness. You will have to wait to find out exactly what is going on inside this crazy old mind of The Woman Scorned. Just remember that just like with Retribution and the double jeopardy match, Taking Hold of the Flame is not about the SCW World Championship. It’s about sending a message.” Kimberly turns and walks off. The camera fades to black.

==========
May 29th, 2022
Boston, Massachusetts
Off Camera
==========

After several months of being given the runaround by SCW management, months of negotiation, and harassment, finally “The Woman Scorned” Kimberly Williams has won back her SCW Underground Championship from Konrad Raab. It was a brutally violent and bloody affair inside of a steel cage, a match that definitely took years off of the careers of both wrestlers, possibly even years off of their lives, but for a woman as twisted and deranged as Williams she doesn’t really care about that. She saw her prize, the Underground Title, and she took it. She did whatever was necessary to achieve it. Now with Taking Hold of the Flame and the beginning of Rise To Greatness about to begin, Kimberly sees the opportunity to not only proudly represent the Underground division, but to even elevate it. A Taking Hold of the Flame victory by the Underground Champion would certainly elevate not only her status but the championship’s. So Kimberly, along with thirty-nine others, will be throwing her name into the hat for Taking Hold of the Flame and The Woman Scorned feels very confident as she walks into this challenging battle royal style match, especially as she is coming off of a championship victory.

Yet Kimberly still finds herself distracted by forces outside of her control. For the better of the year The Woman Scorned has found herself the victim of an obsessed stalker. Many celebrity athletes should be used to this kind of treatment, obsessed fans can be a part of life if you are in the public spotlight. The other problem is that this isn’t an obsessed fan. This stalker is obsessed with doing whatever it takes to ruin Kimberly’s life. What began as a direct physical assault on Kimberly herself outside of a hotel in Nashville, Tennessee eventually expanded to attacks on her sisters; Marie Jones’s home was burned down by an arsonist and Jessica Lasiewicz’s home was broken into.

It wasn’t hard for Kimberly to figure out who this stalker was; she already had an inkling as to the stalker’s motivation. The attacks began shortly after her twin sister, Marie, initiated a very public legal defense of their uncle, Douglas Williams, who was convicted of a series of murders in Massachusetts years before they were born. Kim had discovered evidence that their uncle may not have been acting alone and Marie wanted to use the evidence in order to get his sentence reduced. Kimberly knew their uncle was a murderer, regardless of if he acted alone, and that he belonged in prison. She also knew that Marie would potentially stir up a hornet’s nest if she got involved. Kim had no idea that someone would take such great offense to Marie’s legal wranglings that they would take it upon themselves to attack them and their family. But Kim knew that is exactly what had happened. Someone wanted to stop Marie…and by extension Kim…from helping exonerate their uncle. And a little more digging helped Kim learn the identity of the stalker; a young woman named Carol Johnson, the baby sister of a woman who had been killed by Douglas Williams.

A few weeks ago Kimberly came face to face with Carol in a local cemetery in Boston. After a brief struggle, The Woman Scorned had gained possession of a knife and had the opportunity to put an end to Carol once and for all. All she had to do was drive the knife through Carol’s throat and it would have been over. But somehow, for some reason, Kimberly could not bring herself to end Carol’s life. Perhaps Kim feels pity for Carol’s family? Kim’s uncle took her sister away from her, and if Kim took Carol’s life then their mother would be left all alone without either of her daughters. Kim’s act of mercy may have just prolonged the inevitable, because Carol made it clear that she would not stop until either she or Kim was dead.

It is obviously difficult to enjoy yourself when you have that kind of dark cloud hanging over your head. The Woman Scorned has also come to have a great appreciation for her family, especially after the lives of her sisters were recently threatened by the demented Carol Johnson. This is why Kimberly is currently spending time with her twelve year old nephew, Sean Connor Jones. The twelve year old is Marie’s son. Kim is taking care of him this afternoon because Marie is busy speaking with the attorney handling their uncle Douglas’s case. Marie had been hell bent on continuing the legal defense of their case, despite the attack in Nashville and despite the arson. But when the attacks began to focus on their half-sister Jessica Lasiewicz, Kim finally managed to convince Marie to drop the case. She convinced Marie to let Douglas stay in prison. Meanwhile Kim takes care of Sean today to ensure he is safe from Carol. Plus, Kim gets to bond with her nephew.

Williams and her nephew are walking down the streets of downtown Boston. Kim is dressed in torn denim jeans, flip flops, and a black “SCW” t-shirt. Sean is wearing denim jeans, sneakers, a plain white t-shirt. Kimberly is carrying her stuffed lead weight loaded penguin Wasley with her. Sean has his hands full with a bag of goodies that he just won at the arcade. In the other hand he has a thing of cotton candy that he is munching away.

“This afternoon has been awesome!” Sean exclaims as he takes a bite of cotton candy.

“I’m glad you had fun kiddo! You really did kick some major ass in that arcade…uh, butt, I said butt, right?”

“Sure ya did, Aunt Kim.”

“That better be your story. Your mom already doesn’t trust me with you. She thinks I’m dangerous or some shit like tha…uh, crap! Yeah! Crap!”

“Well…” Sean’s voice trails off as he thinks about what his aunt just said. Kim notices his doubt and shoots him a look.

“Wait, a sec, you don’t think I’m dangerous DO YOU?”

“You did get us kicked out of the arcade, Aunt Kim.”

“Hey! It’s not my fault that stupid manager doesn’t have a sense of humor!”

“You were using Wasley to play the Whack-A-Mole Game.” Sean says, pointing to the penguin. “You destroyed the machine.”

“And I said I’d pay for it!” Kim says defensively. “Besides, those stupid moles were asking for it. Did you see how they were looking at me?!”

“Heh…” Sean chuckles softly before embracing his aunt “...I love you, Aunt Kim.”

“I love you too, kiddo.” She pats him on his head. “Now come on, there’s a drink machine up ahead. We can get some drinks before catching a taxi back home.” Sean nods his head and follows Kimberly towards the pepsi machine. She looks down at Sean. “Do you have any cash?”

“No.”

“Neither do I.” Kim shrugs and then uses Wasley, smacking him just hard enough not to damage the Pepsi Machine the way Sean accused her of damaging the Whack-A-Mole machine, but definitely hard enough to jar a drink loose and out of the machine. Kim does a pose reminiscent of Fonzie of Happy Days “Eyyyyy!”

“Eyyyy?” Sean asks curiously. Kim rolls her eyes.

“Before your time, kiddo.” She reaches inside and pulls out a Pepsi. “It’s a Pepsi, is that good?”

“Uh, I suppose it’ll do.”

“What’s wrong?”

“Well it isn’t my favorite. But it’ll do…”

“Nonsense! Only the best for my nephew!” Kim smacks the machine again with Wasley, this time two drinks pop out. Kim’s face lights up. “Sweet! Two for one!” She reaches inside and produces another Pepsi and a Dr. Pepper. “Do you want a Dr. Pepper?”

“Sure!” He quickly snatches it out of Kim’s hand. Kim then turns and begins to walk away, she motions for Sean to follow her. Kim leads Sean over towards a bench on the sidewalk facing the street. Kim sits down on the bench and then Sean follows suit. “Hopefully a taxi will be along soon. I hate waiting!”

“Right. But uh, Aunt Kim, may I ask you something?”

“Sure thing, kiddo. Just don’t ask anything about algebra or calculus. I hate math.”

“Calculus?”

“Don’t ask. You’ll find out later.”

“Ok…but uh, seriously can I ask you a question?”

“Of course you can.”

“I know mom named me after my grandfather. And I know he and grandma didn’t always get along that well. Why is that?”

“Well, you can probably blame me and your mom for that.” Kim says snickering. “I mean, we didn’t exactly have the most normal of childhoods. Your grandfather and your grandmother, through no fault of their own, thought I was dead. They blamed each other for losing me so they split up. They only had your mom left in their lives. And they both wanted her to themselves. They fought bitterly over your mother.”

“But I have heard mom saying some things about him lately and I’m wondering, was my grandfather really as bad a person as mom says?”

Kimberly sighs deeply. This was a touchy subject that she really was hoping to avoid. Unfortunately kids his age are very curious and it appears that he has overheard some of what Marie has been saying about their father, Sean Williams and his potential involvement in the serial killings perpetrated by their uncle Douglas. Kimberly isn’t even used to dealing with kids of any age. Should she be direct and honest with him and tell him his grandfather was a monster like uncle Douglas? Or should she lie and let him live in blissful ignorance until he is old enough to understand?

“I don’t want to lie to you, kiddo, because quite honestly, I was lied to my entire life. And it made me into a very resentful and bitter person because of it; I don’t want to see that happen to you. So I’m not going to lie. But what you just asked is probably a question your mom can answer better than me. But I will tell you that your grandfather was a flawed man…but hell, we’re all flawed individuals. None of us are perfect. We will always make mistakes and when we do, the only thing we can do is strive to be better. I think your grandfather was trying his best to be a better man and to overcome the mistakes he may have made in life. Do you understand what I’m trying to say?”

“I think so.” Sean says, nodding his head.

“And just remember, your grandfather was not a bad man. He made mistakes but he did try to better himself. He tried to help people by becoming a police officer, before he died he started studying law because he wanted to help people who were unjustly found guilty of crimes they didn’t commit.”

“That’s cool, I guess.”

“It is.” Kim says nodding her head. “Your grandfather…my father…was a flawed man but at the end of his life he was a good man. You understand?”

“Yeah.”

“Good.” Kim pats him on his head. A smile creeps across her face and a warm feeling enters her heart. She feels good. She enjoys this time she is spending with her nephew. For a long time she never would have expected herself to be a family person, yet here she is enjoying this time with her nephew. She almost wishes this feeling would never end.

Unfortunately it is at this point that the feeling ends abruptly and violently. A loud shriek is heard from behind the pair. Kim feels a rope wrapping around her throat and it squeezes, cutting off her air and oxygen. Sean screams in terror as he jumps off the bench. He sees the figure of Carol Johnson choking the life out of his aunt.

“Aunt Kim!” Hearing this distracts Carol. She releases Kim and slowly begins to stalk the twelve year old. She points an accusatory finger at him.

“I cannot let another generation of Williams live!” Before she take another step towards Sean, Kim tackles Carol to the ground. Kim looks up to see Sean running off to make sure he is safe. Carol then kicks Kim off and tackles her back to the ground. Carol mounts Kim and begins to pound away with rapid fire right hands to the forehead and face.

“I told you, Williams! I told you that this would not end until one of us is dead!” Carol continues to pound away at Kim’s face but surprisingly, Kim just starts laughing uncontrollably. Carol growls angrily. “What is so damn funny?!” She punches her again. “Why are you laughing?!”

You need to hurt me in order to move on. Hell, you probably won’t move on unless me and my sister. But me…” Kim spits up some blood as she chuckles nastily “...I have moved on. I no longer care. So go ahead, Carol. Hit me!” Carol obliges and punches Kim in the face. “Oh come on, you can do better than that!” Carol hits her again. Kim snickers. “That’s better. Not good but better.” Carol punches her again. “HARDER! HIT ME HARDER!” Kim doesn’t have to ask twice, Carol hits her again. Kim just continues laughing uncontrollably and the more she laughs the angrier Carol gets. Carol gets up off of Kim and begins shouting.

“Why are you shouting?!” Carol stomps on Kim’s gut and Kim still laughs. Carol sets up for another stomp but then from out of nowhere several police officers swarm the area and point the firearms at Carol.

“Freeze!” One of the officers shouts. “Put your hands in the air!” Carol looks at the officers surrounding her. Then she looks back down at Kim who is slowly getting back to her feet and still laughing. Carol considers her options. “Don’t do something you will regret, lady!” Ultimately Carol does put her hands in the air, surrendering to the police. The police approach and begin to take her into custody.

Meanwhile Kim has pulled herself back to her feet. Sean quickly returns to her side. “Are you ok, Aunt Kim?”

“Don’t worry about me, kiddo, I was never in any danger.”

“Are you kidding me?! She was beating you up!”

“Her?!” Kim points to Carol, who by now has been handcuffed and is being stood up by the police. “Please. I recently took a dive off of a steel cage onto a pane of glass. I think I can take whatever that crazy broad has to offer. Besides…” she walks over to the bench and picks up Wasley the penguin “...I was never in any real danger.”

“Then why didn’t you use him against her?”

“Because she was threatening you, and taking care of you is more important than anything else. Also her family has suffered too much because of violence. I don’t need to add to that count by bludgeoning her with Wasley.” Kim pats Sean on the head. “You were brave to go get the police for me, kiddo.”

“Thanks, Aunt Kim.”

“This isn’t over!” Kim and Sean turn to see Carol being shoved into the back of the police cruiser. She is shouting angrily back at Kim. “It isn’t over!”

Kimberly’s heart tells her that she did the right thing, that letting the police handle it is the moral and just thing to do. It serves as a good example to her nephew. But her mind suggests that Carol is right, that this isn’t over. Kimberly’s mind tells her that at the end of this, one of them will have to die before it truly ends.
3rd May 2022

Miami

It had been a long road since he had purchased the property, and a whole lot of money, but finally the house was completed, only just over a month past schedule. He stands outside the front, looking at the house and then the ocean beyond, and he does so with a huge smile on his face. Although he’d been stopping at the apartment which was nice, this was his. His own property situated right beside the ocean, and he couldn’t help but look forward to moving in and making it his own. But even more than that, he couldn’t wait to lay in bed at night and listen to the sound of the waves. It really was his idea of bliss. His trance is however broken by Kane, the builder in charge of the renovations, who steps outside the front door, and holds out a set of house keys.

Kane: Everything seems to be in order Owen. All yours bud.

Owen takes the keys and shakes the builder’s hand.

Owen: Cheers Kane, I really do appreciate all the long hours you guys have put in to get the place reason.

Kane: Always a pleasure working on a property like this Owen, and we are happy that you like it. Sorry it took a bit longer than it should

Owen: I changed stuff; it happens so don’t worry. In fact, …

Owen takes a wad of cash from out of his pocket, held together by an elastic band. He holds it out to Kane who looks at it, a little confused.

Kane: What’s this? You don’t own anything Owen you’ve settled the invoice.

Owen: Call this a bonus for you and the boys. A small token of my appreciation.

Kane: Thank you, but I can’t.

Owen: You can, and if you don’t, I’ll be insulted.

Kane: There must be around five thousand dollars here.

Owen: Spot on. Take them all out for a meal or something, or just put it behind the bar somewhere. You all deserve it.

Owen holds out the bundle of money again and this time Kane takes it, putting it in his inside pocket.

Kane: Thank you Owen, and if ever you need any more work doing…

Owen: I’ll give you a shout, and I’ll be sure to recommend you if anyone asks.

Kane nods and the two shakes hands again, Kane getting into his van and starting the engine, before driving away. As he does, across the road, Owen see’s Jennifer Helms standing there looking over.

Owen: Jen?

She smiles and walks across the road, the pair of them hugging.

Owen: What you doing here?

Jennifer: I was in the area

Owen: Jen, this is thousands of miles away from Los Angeles, I find it very difficult to believe that.

Jennifer smirks, her ruse predictably rumbled.

Jennifer: Alright, so…

Owen: Yeah, I’ve been thinking about you a lot as well.

Jennifer puts her bag on the floor, Owen having taken the words out of her mouth.

Jennifer: It’s just, I didn’t like the way we parted, and we’ve hardly shared a text with each other in the two months since. I just felt like we needed to clear the air, and if we could get things back to normal. Whatever normal is.

Owen leans against the skip that was full but was only due to be taken away tomorrow.

Owen: It’s OK Jen, I know the situation is difficult, you have no reason to explain.

Jennifer: Thing is Owen, I think I do.

Owen shrugs his shoulders

Owen: I get it, you don’t want to upset your parents. Truth be told, I don’t want to upset them either, well not any more than I already have. Dave was good to me when Dad died…

Jennifer: You called him Dad, and not Orlando.

Owen: Yeah, I’ve kinda got over myself with all of that.

Jennifer: I’m so glad

Owen: But we digress… when Dad died, Dave was always there for me, but I threw it back in his face. Even Regan, who let’s face it hated my guts, gave me a chance to prove myself to you, so I know precisely how they would react if they found out we were back together.

Jennifer: They’d hate it, that’s for sure.

Owen: I know, and that’s why I understand. Perhaps all this with Dad, it’s taught me to not get wound out by circumstances over which I have very little control. I don’t know, perhaps I’m finally growing up… not before time, right?

Jennifer: Owen…I…

Owen: No seriously, I’m so very happy you are here, and if you’d like to, I’d love to show you around the house, you can maybe give me some tips on how to decorate. But I’m not going to read anything into it or consider it a gesture. You’re here as a friend, and I value that. It’s all good.

Owen is about to invite her into the house having said his piece, but Jennifer still had more which she wanted to say.

Jennifer: I do think that it would be best if we stayed friends, but that’s not going to work if I don’t tell you the entire truth. I don’t want to upset my parents, you are right. Us being back together would take a lot of getting used to, and I’m not even sure they ever would. But if that was the only reason, I wouldn’t just dismiss you out of hand.

Owen: Oh… that’s not what you said before.

Jennifer: I know, but you were so convinced by that reason I didn’t see the need to hurt you anymore than you already were

Owen: Jen, you know you can always tell me anything.

Jennifer: I know, but I wasn’t sure you’d want to hear this. Or at least I wasn’t then.

Owen: Try me

Jennifer takes a hair band from her wrist and ties up her hair in a ponytail, revealing more of her face. She was beautiful, how could he have ever been such an idiot as to let her go?

Jennifer: I’m not sure I can trust you.

To say he wasn’t expecting that was an understatement, and her words cut into him like a dagger to the heart. Jennifer must read the look on his face because her eyes fill with regret.

Jennifer: I know I shouldn’t have said anything

Owen: No, it’s alright Jen.

Jennifer: I know you have worked so hard to change your life and be more responsible for your actions. I realize that in this moment, you probably know yourself better than you ever have. The thing is Owen, I stood by you as you turned against all your friends and family, to the point I was literally the last person you had left. Even Peyton, someone who regarded you as a little brother, saw no hope for you and walked away. And yet still I will there for you, until you disrespected Dad. Anyone who can do that has something in them, something dangerous. And what if you lose control again… what if I’m the one you take it out on next time.

Owen: I’d never hurt you Jennifer. Ever.

Jennifer: And I believe you Owen… but not totally. If we got back together there would always be that doubt in the back of my mind. And a relationship cannot be built on that lack of trust. I can’t do that to myself… not again.

Owen lowers his head, that old familiar feeling, guilt taking over. Some for what he’d done to her, and mostly for never really comprehending the effect it had.

Owen: I’m sorry Jen… truly I am.

Jennifer lifts his chin up with her hand and looks at him deep in the eyes.

Jennifer: You’ve said that more times that I can remember Owen. I know you are sorry; I knew that the first time you said it, and I have no doubts even now. But until that trust is rebuilt all we can ever be is friends. Maybe that will always be all we can be. I just didn’t want you hating Dave and Regan and blaming them for us not being together, when ultimately it is my decision, not theirs.

Owen: You could have done that over the phone you know? You didn’t have to fly all the way over here to tell me that.

He says it with a half-smile, still smarting from her words

Jennifer: Yeah, I did Owen, because you deserve it. And anyway, you didn’t think I would miss any housewarming, did you?

Owen: I haven’t planned anything… the place isn’t ready.

Jennifer: OK, well in that case it looks like this one is a two-person party. You going to show me around what you’ve done then or what?

Owen: Oh… you’re staying?

Jennifer: Of course, did you think I was going to fly straight back?

Owen: Well, I don’t know do I?

Jennifer: You are certainly NOT worth that Mister.

They both laugh, and then once again cuddle, any hope Owen having of a reconciliation having decreased still further. They part, Owen walking down towards the front door and opening it, Jennifer picking up her luggage and following him, the door closing behind them. The camera then pans around to a little way down the road, a woman stood watching them both, a mobile phone held aloft. She lowers the phone, and we see clearly for the first time the women’s face. That women being none other than Maisie Phillips, a grin forming, followed by a sneering chuckle as the scene fades.

12th May 2022
Los Angeles

Regan Street opens the door to her house, stepping into the hallway.

Regan: Anyone home?

She shouts, and doesn’t immediately receive a reply, though she hears movement upstairs.

Regan: David? Jennifer?

More noise is heard, until hurried scuffling, Jennifer appearing at the top of the stairs.

Jennifer: Hey Mom…

Regan looks at her, more than a little confused

Regan: And what were you up to? I hope you don’t have a boy up there.

Jennifer: Ha-ha, like I dare.

Regan: Exactly, so what were you up to?

Jennifer: Just tidying stuff, nothing sinister. You are wayyyy too suspicious.

Jennifer walks down the stairs, Regan putting her bags on the floor so they can hug. When they part, Jennifer follows her as she takes the bags into the kitchen, placing them on the counter.

Jennifer: Did you get any of that shampoo I like?

Regan triumphantly pulls a bottle from the bag passing it to Jennifer.

Regan: I did, and it was extortionate as well. Why you spend so much on it is beyond me?

Jennifer: Because it works, and it makes my hair look good.

Regan: Yeah well, there is no need to spend a small fortune I’m sure. But it’s your money, I guess. By the way you owe me…

Jennifer: I know, I’ll transfer the money in a bit. Can I at least get some breakfast first?

Regan: Yes, I’ll allow that… don’t forget though who I might have to start wrestling again to pay the bills

Jennifer: Because you and Dad are destitute right?

Regan laughs

Regan: You never know Jennifer, prices are going up, who knows where we’ll be in a few months

Jennifer: I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Regan takes some provision out the bag and puts them in the refrigerator, before turning back to her daughter.

Regan: Jennifer, sit with me for a minute, I want to talk to you.

Jennifer: Sounds ominous…

Jennifer motions for the milk, which Regan passes her, Jennifer pouring some over her Granola.

Regan: No, it’s not… not really. We don’t have the chance to talk nowadays that’s all. I just want to make sure you’re OK.

Jennifer: I’m fine Mom, seriously.

She passes her the milk back, Regan putting it on the counter and taking a seat.

Regan: Please Jennifer.

Regan pats the chair next to her, Jennifer rolling her eyes but taking a seat, bringing her breakfast with her.

Jennifer: So, what’s up?

Regan: We can talk about anything right?

Jennifer: Of course, Mom… I tell you everything.

Regan: Do you?

Jennifer: Yeah.

Regan: OK, so what’s with all the trips recently, it seems like your never at home.

Jennifer: Just got a lot of things on the go that’s all. Modelling job, stuff like that.

Regan: Are you sure?

Jennifer: Yes, don’t you believe me?

Regan: Of course, I believe you.

Jennifer: Then what? Why the first degree?

Regan: I just want to make sure that you’re not getting yourself into bother…

Jennifer: How? You know I’ve got my own life, why the sudden interest?

Regan pauses

Jennifer: Come on Mom, if you’ve got something to say just say it, it’s not like you normally mince your words.

Regan: Yeah, well usually I’m not dealing with my daughter.

Jennifer: So, whatever you’ve got to say, just say it.

Jennifer was obviously getting a little annoyed and Regan could sense that.

Regan: OK, are you seeing someone?

Jennifer: Huh?

Regan: Have you got a new boyfriend and you’re skulking around because you don’t want to tell us?

Jennifer: No… I haven’t.

Regan: Then where are you going for days at a time then?

Jennifer: I’ve told you Mom, modelling assignments. There’s nothing else to it. I promise.

Regan: OK…

Jennifer: You don’t believe me, do you?

Regan: Jennifer, all this is, is concern. Your last relationship didn’t end particularly well. I just want you to make good choices

Jennifer: And I will Mom… not every man is like Owen.

Regan: Yeah, and it’s a good job as well or you would never leave the house.

Jennifer: Not matter what you think about mine and Owen’s relationship, it was good for a long time. It’s just unfortunate what happened next, but I learned a lot. I won’t make the same mistakes again.

Regan: Good…

Jennifer: So, we OK?

Regan: Yes, we are.

Jennifer: And I’m not going to get another interrogation from Dad?

Regan: No, I’ll keep him informed.

Jennifer: Good, in that case then I’m going to take my breakfast to my room and decide what to wear

Regan: No worries, and Jennifer?

Jennifer: Yes Mom?

Regan: I just want what’s best for you, you know that right?

Jennifer: I do, but I’m a big girl now. You and Dad enjoy each other… I can’t believe I said that.

They both laugh, hearing the post drop through the letter box.

Regan: Get the post for me?

Jennifer: Sure

Jennifer walks to the front door and then brings a bundle of letters back, looking through them to make sure there is nothing for her before passing them over. Jennifer then picks up her breakfast bowl and heads out the kitchen, Regan shouting after her.

Regan: Love you

Jennifer: Love you too Mom.

Alone, Regan flicks through the letters, opening a couple that are nothing more than junk mail. The third one she opens, and peers inside, pulling out several photographs, each one showing Owen and Jennifer together, the last of them hugging.

Regan: What the…

She pulls out a note, reading the wording out loud

‘Just thought you should know… a concerned friend.’

Regan’s blood starts to boil, her eyes transfixed on the picture of them hugging. As her anger builds, Jennifer walks back into the room, Regan quickly covering the photos.

Jennifer: Forgot my spoon… what are those?

Regan looks her dead in the eyes, considering confronting Jennifer right here and now, but deciding on a different course of action. Lowering her voice whilst containing her anger she replies.

Regan: Just some mockups for the en-suite.

Jennifer: Ah OK… told you that you weren’t destitute. And you can’t even afford to buy my shampoos…

Regan forces a smile, and the moment Jennifer leaves the kitchen, that masks drops. Now she knew why Jennifer was so secretive, she must have been going to see Owen, and immediately she concludes that they were back together but keeping it from her and David. She couldn’t believe Jennifer would do that to them after everything Owen had done, but seeing as it was clear she was, Regan knew exactly who to blame. And who she needed to pay a visit.

15th May 2022
Los Angeles

Owen was back in Los Angeles, mostly to see Sebastian and Taylor who he’s not seen in what seemed like an eternity, but also with another reason in mind. He’d be contemplating something for quite a while now, and having spoken with Adam Lucas about it, he had now decided to go ahead. Sebastian was really growing up now, and had turned into a real character, and the visit had been full of laughter which was a change from the usual subject matter whenever he spoke with Taylor. Taylor had been a constant source of advice, blameless in everything that had gone on over the last year, but it was nice to not have to be dealing with Mom issues, Dad issues, or one of the multitude of problems that he had continuously carried around. Having left Taylor, promising not to leave such a gap till the next visit, he had made his way to a local beachside café, where he had met Finch, his best friend from his time in LA. Of course, Owen’s love life had dominated the early running, much to Finch’s amusement, but that dealt with, the conversation had turned a little more serious.

Finch: So, you’re still nowhere closer to winning Jennifer back then?

Owen shakes his bottle of beer, finishing off the contents and then motioning to the waitress for another.

Owen: No, Yes… I honestly don’t know. If she doesn’t trust me though what’s the point?

Finch: Well, you know my opinion bro… have a go on Charlotte, man’s got needs.

Owen: Have a go??? You have such a way with words bro, you really do.

Finch: You know what I mean though don’t you? It’s not like you are going to wait for Jennifer for the rest of your life is it?

Owen shrugs, which causing Finch to shake his head.

Finch: Oh Owen, what I am going to do with you?

Owen: Come on, it’s not like you are fighting them off with a stick is it?

Finch laughs

Finch: That’s a good point well made… I’ll give you that one my young padawan.

Owen: I am NOT your apprentice.

Finch: If you say so.

Owen kicks his shin under the table but barely connects.

Finch: Look, all I’m saying is it seems clear to me. Jennifer’s the love of your life, I get that. But you cannot be expected to hang around until she decides that she is ready to trust again. You gotta empty them sacks or else they gonna be dragging, you get me?

Owen laughs

Owen: Yeah, I get you.

Finch: You’ll feel a lot better for it, trust me. And Charlotte ain’t a bad runner-up, is she?

Owen: I bet she’d love being known as a runner up.

Finch: You don’t tell her that you crazy fool. You’re twenty-two years old, you got money, you’re not bad looking and you’re pretty much a celebrity. You got a whole sweet shop open to you… way not try a few different kinds before you commit to the Lemon Sherbets.

Owen: So now you’re comparing Jennifer to a Lemon Sherbet

Finch: Yep, but you get me, don’t you?

Owen nods

Owen: I do… just not sure that I can do that.

Finch says, as the waitress brings over another couple of beers, Owen thanking her, Finch going one step further and asking for her number which he almost inevitably doesn’t get. It always surprised Owen how confident Finch was for someone who invariably was sent packing by his ‘targets’

Finch: She must bat for the other side.

Owen: Or your heavy-handed approach will never work

Finch: No… she comes from Lesbos for sure.

Finch takes a sip from his beer, the smirk never leaving his face. A lot of the time Owen wasn’t sure if Finch was being serious. He’d seen Finch at his worse, and had seen another side to the confident, brash individuals he presented to the world. Sometimes he wondered if Finch was engaging in a constant act.

Finch: OK, so your love life is in the shitter, what about the Mommy / Daddy issues?

Owen: You ever heard of tact bro?

Finch: Can’t say I have, what’s that?

Owen: Doesn’t matter… yeah, I think I’m getting there.

Finch: By getting there do you mean you’re getting your head straight, or are you speaking to your Mom again.

Owen: Mom and I had a good long talk, and yeah, I think it made things better.

Finch: And your Dad?

Owen: That’s a little bit more difficult.

Finch: How do you mean?

Owen takes a sip from his beer and waits to regain Finch’s attention which has been taken by a girl in a tennis skirt walking past. He turns back to Owen who smirks

Owen: Back with me?

Finch: Proceed.

Owen: I still can’t believe that he never told me, and I guess I’ll never understand why. But at the end of the day, he was my Father. Other than this, he was the one who brought me up, took care of me even though I wasn’t his… he still treated me as such. I think if he was here, and I could shout at him, it would all have been sorted by now, but because I can’t it makes it a lot harder. But I guess I’m the person I am right now because of him, and I wouldn’t be as strong as I feel now if I’d not had to go through the last year. I don’t hate him anymore and that’s a far preferable situation than where I was a year ago. I just wish that he’d told me before he passed that’s all.

Finch: So, focusing on the positives instead of the negatives?

Owen: After all I’ve been through, I firmly believe it’s the only way to be. I was floundering way before all this happened, so it’s better to believe that this ‘experience’ was the catalyst that enabled me to see things for what they really were, and what I had to do to make things better. It’s kinda funny that Orlando had to strip things all the way back before he found success and happiness in both his life and career, and here I am having done the same thing. I see the irony in it all that’s for sure.

Finch: Orlando was a cool guy Owen, I don’t get why he didn’t tell you, but I’m sure he had good reason. But one thing is for sure, he always looked out for you, and if he can, he’ll still be looking out for you. One act doesn’t take all that away… or at least it doesn’t have to.

Owen’s eyes widen, his forehead furrowed

Owen: Dude, that was almost profound.

Finch: What can I say bro… I’m a modern-day prophet. You keep listening to me brother and you’ll go far.

Owen: I appreciate you so much Finch and all that you do for me.

There was an element of sarcasm for sure, in fact it was predominantly sarcasm and from the look on his face Finch is more than aware.

Owen: In fact, there may well be something I can do for you to pay you back for everything.

Finch: Hookers… hookers always pay a debt.

Owen laughs, pushing his beer to one side.

Owen: You know the wrestling school I’m starting in New York?

Finch: The one right near the old Icon place?

Owen: Yep, that’s the one. We are nearing completion and the site will soon be ready. I’ve got a couple of coaches in place, called in a couple of favors with regards to the training and such… even got Jason King on board.

Finch: I don’t know who that is.

Owen: Doesn’t matter. But Adam and I won’t be able to be there every single day, and let’s face it, neither of us have the time. What I need is for someone to run the place, maintain the building and make sure the folks that we take in at the shelter are looked after. I could find someone, but I need someone that I can trust in there. So, I was wondering…

Finch: You think I could do it? I mean, after what happened last time.

Owen: Bro, you were young then and you’d gotten desperate. You couldn’t see a way out, so you made a mistake. Let’s face it, you were great at running my diary, and telling me where to be. I don’t see how this is really any different. Balance the books, organize the school schedule and keep the shelter ticking over. Nothing to it really.

Finch: Yeah, nothing to it.

He demeanor shows that he is unsure, his reaction the same

Finch: I mean the business side; I reckon I could do that no problem. But the shelter, those people are going to be desperate and down on their luck. I’m not sure I can deal with that kind of shit.

Owen: Dude, you’ve been there. You are just about the perfect person to understand what they are thinking and give advice. Anyway, I’ve already got a councilor on board for that, my psychiatrist Andy is going to work part time, so the real heavy stuff he’ll deal with. Finch, you’ve been looking for a direction for some time, perhaps this opportunity is it.

Finch: And would I have to move to New York?

Owen nods

Owen: Yeah, you’d need to live close by just in case something happened. Don’t worry though, I’d sort out an apartment and such until you get on your feet. I get it’s a big deal leaving LA for you, but I reckon it would be the making of you, and a chance to stand on your own feet for once.

Finch: It does sound tempting…

Owen lifts his bottle and holds it towards Finch

Owen: So, what do you say? Ready to change people’s lives?

Finch: You know what Owen, fuck it. I gotta have better luck with the chicks from New York, right?

He raises his bottle and clicks it against Owen’s

Owen: Errmm, I wouldn’t bet on it bro.

They both laugh

Owen: Either way, it’s good to have you on board. Next down time I get, I’ll take you there and show you the lay of the land and get an apartment sorted. I’ll make sure Adam is around too. You’re going to smash this Finch; I know you are.

Finch: I hope so.

Owen can see the uncertainty, but it was a big undertaking, so he totally understands. Owen goes on to speak of the school, and the shelter, and how he hopes to reform people and rehabilitate them and how rewarding it will be to pay forward or put back in, whichever way you looked at it. And by the time he has delivered his vision, Finch feels a whole lot better about the whole thing. It WAS a big deal for them both, something far different from anything either of them had ever done, but the important thing was both friends were now looking forwards, instead of back towards the troubles of their past. Another tick in the box to where they both wanted to be.

28th May 2022
Miami

Regan Street sits outside Owen’s house, waiting for him to arrive home. She had been sat here for nearly two hours now, growing more and more frustrated. It hadn’t been difficult to find out where he lived now, being a Street, it was never difficult to find out things. But seeing the house, knowing that he was doing OK for himself nowadays, it had only made her even more determined to see him, and confront him as to what she believed was going on. She reaches into the glove compartment and pulls out an energy bar, ripping it open and taking a bite, her eyes never once leaving the front door in case she missed him. As she chews, the pupils of her eyes widen, as she hears a motorbike making its way up to the road, stopping outside the house. Those self-same eyes narrow, as the rider removes his helmet, Regan sneering as she sees Owen.

Regan: I’d keep that helmet on if I was you.

Owen hangs the helmet on the handlebars, and then with a glance around makes his way to the front door, putting his key in the lock and opening it. He then cuts off the alarm, and steps inside, and only now does Regan get out, looking up and down the street before locking the door. She pauses, composing herself, before she raises her hand and presses the doorbell. Inside, Owen swipes the Amazon Show device onto the front door camera, scowling as he sees who’s there.

Owen: Regan?

Since he and Jennifer split, Regan had never contacted Owen, and Owen had been glad of that fact. After he had disrespected Dave, he had half expected Regan to come looking for him, but it had never really happened. Whether Jennifer had some bearing on that, Owen truthfully didn’t know, but either way it was strange that she was calling on him now. Owen had no doubt however that she had been waiting outside for him and saw no point in ignoring the door. If Regan was here to finally give him a piece of her mind, then so be it. It was just another part of the process. He walks through the house and to the front door, and takes a breath before opening it, coming face to face with someone he once considered would become his Mother-In-Law. He almost chuckles as they thought enters his head but thought it best to keep a straight face.

Owen: Regan. It’s been a long time.

Regan: Yeah, it has Owen.

There didn’t seem to be any animosity, but with Regan you never really knew what she was thinking. You also needed to consider how quickly she could go from nought to a hundred.

Owen: What can I do for you? I was just on my way back out.

Regan: This will only take a minute, can I come in?

Owen would have preferred to have stayed outside, but still not sensing any ill-feeling he doesn’t see any harm.

Owen: Sure thing…

He steps to the side and Regan steps into the house, looking around the partially decorated house and nodding her head, seemingly impressed.

Regan: Nice

Owen: It will be when it’s finished. Still a few things to do. Can I get you a drink?

Regan: Water will be fine.

Owen nods and walks through the house, Regan following him into the kitchen. As Regan once again looks around the place that a lot of work had obviously gone into, Owen pulls a bottle of water from the freezer and passes it to her.

Regan: It really is a nice place

Owen: Let me show you the back garden.

He passes Regan, half expecting this to be the moment when she clocked him with the bottle or tackled him to the floor. But she doesn’t, and as he opens the doors to the back garden and the decking that goes all the way to the bottom, Regan takes a moment to admire the view. Finally, she turns back to Owen.

Regan: Seems like moving to Miami was good for you.

Owen: I think so yeah. I needed somewhere where I could clear my head, and this was ideal. Daisy…

Regan: Ah yes, Daisy.

For the first time Owen senses just a hint of annoyance, but Regan’s smile makes him second guess himself.

Owen: She helped me a lot… Rachel as well.

Regan: Yes, Rachel said that she had been helping you for your return. It’s been going well from what I’ve seen. She’s good at what she does, Daisy too.

Owen: Yeah, I’ve been doing ok.

Regan turns back to the ocean, Owen trying to read what was going on.

Owen: Look Regan, what’s this all about? I can’t believe you were in the area and just thought you’d pay me a visit. I mean, I can’t imagine that after everything that has happened, you’d go out your way to see me.

Regan turns her head to face him again and wears a smile that this time Owen finds unnerving.

Regan: Yes, thank you for reminding me.

She places her bag on the table, and rummages in it, pulling out a few items. She then spreads out the photographs of Owen and Jennifer on the table, before then looking up at him, staring at him dead in the eye.

Regan: I wanted to ask you about those Owen.

Although she still speaks in a calm tone, Owen knows that there could be no way that she would be happy with what they were looking at. It Owen didn’t know the story for himself, he’d be thinking the exact same way that no doubt Regan was thinking right now. Who the hell had even taken those photos, was it Regan herself?

…TO BE CONTINUED

2nd June 2022
Cleveland

Owen Lee is seated on a singular bench, looking out over woodland in front of him. Behind him a stream makes his way past and then in towards the forest, the rippling water setting the calming scene. Owen looks thoughtful, almost pensive as he lifts his bandaged wrist up to rest on his leg more comfortably, making no attempt to hide the injury. With the tone of his voice matching the serenity of his location, he starts to speak calmly towards the camera.

“So here we are, one of the biggest nights of the Supreme Championship wrestling calendar… Taking Hold of the Flame. A night when the road to Rise to Greatness really kicks in, and the entire roster makes their move to be a part of what is always a huge main event. The winner of Taking Hold of the Flame is given a shot at the World Champion, whoever that may be, and barring incident or shady booking, they get a shot at, as the name suggests, achieving greatness. All with the knowledge that no matter what, NO ONE can question their reasoning for being there. It is the ultimate opportunity, but with it comes real sacrifice. You MUST sacrifice everything in that Battle Royal or you simply don’t stand a chance. And even with that sacrifice made, your success is never guaranteed.

Not ever.

Taking Hold of the Flame is the ultimate equalizer, there are so many working parts it makes it almost impossible to prepare for. And yet, even now, there are those preparing for what could be the biggest night of their lives… but at the same time knowing that the odds are, it will all be in vain. And yet we do it. Why? Because in this company the standard is so great, everyone believes that they can be the SCW World Champion. But only the very few achieve that honor.”

Owen shrugs his shoulders. This was his third Taking Hold of the Flame, and only last year he had come second to Ace Marshall, making a crucial mistake at the most crucial of times. He knew how the land lay with this match, there were no promises that could be made, guaranteeing success was foolhardy, and very rarely paid dividends. If you hadn’t experienced it, then you simply didn’t have the first clue. Owen did, and he was going to make full use of that fact.

“Like I said, success isn’t guaranteed in this match, and yet still you will hear those that will say that there is very little doubt that they will storm through the field and come out the other side. In their heads, this is just like any other match, where their skill will always bear fruit. I mean, there will be thirty-nine others all vying for the same goal. You could be drawn number one and must endure over an hour of endurance sapping punishment. You could have five, ten… perhaps even more people targeting you, with the simple aim to eliminate you from the equation, and yet there will be no self-doubt from these individuals. They’ll be certain, they will be sure, and they will be something else… unsuccessful.

So, what’s the point?

Well, I think I already answered that question, because on this occasion the ends certainly justify the means. It should never be an easy route to World Championship Gold, no matter who you are. It should be like a trial by torture, and you should have to take an almost unbearable amount of pain to get to that goal. You can be at the very bottom of the ladder and this match can propel you into the stratosphere, a one off. You can be Konrad Raab for Pete’s sake and end up at Rise to Greatness. Sorry, that’s reaching a little too far, but you get the point.”

Owen grins

“So of course, it shouldn’t be a simple case of turning up. To jump over people that have been working all season to get their shot, it must be a test like no other, or else it would be a ridiculous concept that wouldn’t sell out arenas every time or be one of the most famous Battle Royals in the world. But still ‘turning up’ is all these people think they must do. They will sell it to you, and the weak-minded will fall in line and believe every single word that they say. It happens, year in, year out and 2022 will be no different to the ones that went before. These individuals won’t win. Because they don’t understand the simplest of logic, or at least, are too arrogant to TRY and understand. Because first off, and perhaps more than anything, you must understand that there is going to be an element of luck, and you must embrace that. Put simply, the best wrestler doesn’t necessarily win Taking Hold of the Flame. And luck isn’t just in the number that you draw and when you enter the match for the first time, even though of course that comes into the equation. But in a match like this, you must hope that you are not singled out by a group of individuals hellbent on ridding you from the ring. I mean, someone like Tsunami who’s about twenty-five feet tall, it’s probably going to take that many anyways, but someone like me, or at least someone of around my size, it's all about keeping your head on a swivel and staying out of trouble. And if you do go over those ropes, you must hope that there is some way, any way that your feet don’t touch that floor. Turning up and thinking you’re not going to have moments when it looks like it could be over… all that’s going to achieve is when those moments occur, you’ll panic and not recognize how to adapt. Adapting to every situation as and when it occurs is the only way, and if that means getting out of dodge to survive, then that is EXACTLY what you gotta do.”

Owen pauses for a moment, allowing that information to sink into anyone who may be listening.

“Another misunderstanding is that you have to be Tsunami’s size to win a match like this, when honestly that isn’t the case. Visually, it might seem harder to eliminate them, but the less mobile, the power guys, they have always struggled at Taking Hold of the Flame due to those attributes that anywhere else would give them a solid advantage. The winners tend to be those quicker, in both action and thought… another reason why Ace Marshall won it all last year. Centre of gravity is all important, and those with that attribute tend to be the people that thrive. Directly linked to this is that nominally the smaller guys are never regarded as a threat. They buzz around, and yet as the ring thins out and it comes down to single figures, the environment starts to suit them more, while the bigger guys if they are still around trying to find that second wind, ripe for the picking.”

He laughs but was only half joking.

“But by that point, the smaller guys if still there, are only just getting started, having stayed out of trouble, out of the line of sight for as long as possible. Which brings me to one of the most important attributes of all, if not THE most. That being endurance, and the ability to go all the way, for as long as it takes. Say Tsunami is indeed in this match and he gets drawn number one, and I’m sorry if it seems like I’m singling him out. Is he really wrestling for what could be ninety minutes, when history has already shown that when he wins, it’s in the early part of matches? That isn’t a coincidence and it’s not limited to just him. You have to be able to take that licking and keep on ticking. You’ve got to have the stamina first and foremost, but then couple that with courage, and determination. Of course, Tsunami gets number forty, it’s a totally different equation, but that’s what I am getting at. There are just so many variables, it’s pretty much an impossible task to be ready for everything you are going to face. That’s why you cannot focus on thirty-nine others. You cannot focus on what number you are going to be drawn, or who will be waiting in that ring when your music hits. The ONLY thing that you can focus on is yourself and using your own instincts and attributes to deal with whatever is thrown at you. It’s a tale as old as time. No matter who you are, whether you are Syren, Sarah Wolf, or Amelia Stone, no matter what your name is, or what you have accomplished. Your odds of winning right now, and here in this moment before the first two enter, are the same as everyone else’s. When that bell rings, and whenever your music hits, only then can you shorten those odds for yourself. Fail to understand those most basic of fundamentals and you may as well not even bother. It won’t be a long night for you and you’ll at least get an early night… I plan on staying up late that evening.”

Owen grins and gets to his feet and walks towards the stream, standing beside it for a moment before then walking along the path of the river, walking adjacent to it.

“Because I do understand the simplicity of it all, and how tactics and strategy tend to be thrown out the window at Taking Hold of the Flame. Of course, you can have a rough guide of how you see things going forwards, and how you are going to sail those choppy waters, but when you get that number its only logical that even the roughest drafts, or even just an outline is rendered useless. If it sounds like I’m saying Taking Hold of the Flame is all about flying by the seat of your pants, then that precisely what I am saying. It’s an environment in which I have always thrived… when no situation is taken for granted. My first Taking Hold of the Flame I finished thirteenth, when entering near the very start. End of Year Special Battle Royal, I won that, beating some huge names along the way. Taking Hold of the Flame 2021, with my head in the clouds and my mind elsewhere, I finished second, and arguably I should have won. I’m made for exactly this kind of match; the facts speak for themselves. I’ve proven it. And after this last year, I’m potentially even better equipped than I was last year, everything I’ve been through, preparing me for this moment. MY moment to do what others could not.”

He reaches a bridge and walks up and onto it, the camera following him until he stops and sits on the wall.

“I know my family’s history in this event. I realize that none of them managed to climb that mountain and take that flame, not even the Icon himself. I know what people think, I heard Josh call me ‘Cruze’ countless time in a feeble attempt to get under my skin, and perhaps six months ago, it would have been successful. Regardless of what I think of Orlando, Father or Not, I’ve come to accept that he was family regardless. I don’t like what he did, but I’ve learned to at least understand why. And you know what, that hasn’t been easy. It’s taken a lot of inner fortitude, not the fake shit Holly is selling, to be able to talk about it. Childish insults from someone who should know better…”

He points to a duck floating its way down the stream, paddling his feet furiously to try and reach the bank against the current.

“Well, it’s like water of a ducks back.”

He watches as the duck finally makes it and ruffles the water from its feathers. With a smile he then continues.

“But even at my worst, when I would have probably retaliated to his mugging in kind, I still realized what Orlando did for this business. When someone calls him a ‘hack’ or whatever it was Josh came up with, it doesn’t make me angry, it just makes me laugh. It’s just ignorance, or it’s stupidity I’ll let them pick which, but I know the truth. Just like I know what Shaun did as a wrestler, and what he now does as a General Manager. The two of them had unparalleled success in this industry, but neither of them won Taking Hold of the Flame, and let’s face it, there are not too many still around who have. After missing last year’s Rise to Greatness, imagine headlining the 2022 edition. It would be the ultimate comeback. Proof positive that I have ever intention on making good on the promises I made when I came back to Supreme Championship Wrestling. That alone would-be incentive enough, it’s everything that I want and need, even if the World Championship evaded me at the end of it all, and I had to come back and fight another day. But the added incentive has to be that I will have done something that no one else in my family could. Before then going on to possibly achieve something that only six months ago looked like nothing more than a pipe dream. And you know the most critical thing in all of this. Right now, in this moment and more than ever before, I KNOW that with all the above, the fair wind, luck and the tolerance to punishment I have, I CAN win Taking Hold of the Flame. And I can do it in a manner that doesn’t have to delve to the depths like certain ‘Champions’ I could mention. You want to doubt me, fair enough but take a ticket and join the queue, because I’m turning doubters into believers… sorry Selena.”

He holds up his hands in an apology, but with a smirk.

“And by the time I’m done, NO ONE is going to doubt me ever again.”

He pushes off the wall and crosses the bridge, and onto the other side of the river, now walking along a concrete path and towards a car park.

“But of course, it’s all words. I knew when I returned to this company, I had a heck of a lot of faith to restore, and truthfully, I still do. Only by keeping my nose clean and rebuilding my reputation can I get back to where I was, competing for the highest honors in this industry. But even then, I’ll never be able to silence every single ‘doubter’, that’s a fool’s errand. The difference is these days, I don’t feel I have to.”

He shrugs

“It’s very easy to abstain from feeding the trolls… or those not worth my time.”

He reaches his car, and opens the drivers side door, standing with one foot on the ledge whilst resting his good hand on the roof. He turns back to the camera, taking a breath as he prepares to deliver his final words for now.

“And that’s not an arrogance, or a belief that I am better than the next person and on a different level... No, it’s a realization that has come with age, that you simply cannot please everyone. There is always going to be those who refuse to see the wood for the trees so why bother? There are always going to be detractors, who make a noise to suit their own narratives and agendas. I couldn’t care less what they do or say. It simply doesn’t matter. All I care about is those that have stayed with me throughout, knowing that something wasn’t quite right and those that instead of closing rank, gave me an opportunity, a second chance to do better. Human beings make mistakes, it’s what makes us what we are. Another human trait is learning from those errors, and I’ve gone to great lengths to do exactly that. I don’t ask for applause, a well done or a pat on the back. All I ask is for understanding… and if I don’t get that, so be it. No matter what I did, for some that would never happen. But I don’t lose any sleep about it. The people who matter to me, KNOW they matter, and that’s good enough for me. Simply put, bitter old men with a superiority complex ain’t even on my agenda… unless you count throwing them at the ring at Taking Hold of the flame?”

He laughs, taking his shades from out the car and putting them on.

“But that’s my agenda for every other person that stands in my way on Sunday night. Eliminating everyone else, and being the last person standing. I’m not going to come out here and claim confidently that ‘I WILL WIN’, I’ll leave that to others. What I will do however is say quite clearly that I will do everything I possibly can to try and ensure that I do. And you know what, there isn’t a person alive that can stop me from giving my all, no matter what they think. They don’t have that control.”

He steps into the car and turns his head towards the camera.

“And who knows, maybe my all will be enough this time around. Maybe this time I get the result that sends shockwaves around the industry, just like I did when I became World Champion. That seems like a lifetime ago, too long in fact, when the reality is it was only a few years. In that time, I have changed so much, and all of it for the better. I wasn’t ready for the responsibility then, I know that. It was a tale as old as time…

Too much, too soon.

But you know what? I’m ready now. I’m ready to take on that mantle and be that man you all thought I was before. It’s the very least I owe you all. I’m ready to take that Flame, and grasp it with both hands, and once I have it, I’m never letting go, not for anything or anyone. My moment. My time….

… You WILL all know my name.”

With a grin he shuts the door and starts the engine. He then opens the window and salutes the camera. With a final wink, he then drives off into the distance, as the scene slowly fades.
First for Syren for this week. Hopefully I get plenty of time to get a solid second done tomorrow, but with my sister visiting it's questionable how much time I'll be able to dedicate to it.

No promo in this one, just off-camera CD.

Enjoy.

[Image: syren-divider.png]

The Syren Song: Verse 353
“A fresh start”
Pages: 1 2 3