Supreme Championship Wrestling

Full Version: The Devil I Know...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I of the Storm

“The Devil I Know...”

Bobby Priscott walked the aisles of the grocery store, adjusting the racks of products – in this case cans and cans of tomato sauce and salsa. The light hanging several feet above him, on the ceiling of the big grocery store building, provided an off amber color to his surroundings – a mixture of white and yellow that few would notice unless they worked here for hours a day like he had for the last few years.

He hated this job. 

Sure, the hours were steady and the pay was so-so (minimum wage and all) but it was so damn boring! The monotony of this full-time job, wearing the stupid, green apron uniform and then working with the same people who hated their jobs as much as he did only added to the misery.

Still better than being jobless and living with mom. He reminded himself – a thought he often had to rethink when working these long, eight-hour shifts. Again, as if to cement that point, he repeated the thought in his head as he stacked a new set of cans (these ones some kind of pesto sauce) on the shelf. A few minutes of repeating action later, and the section of products refilled, the boy pushed his cart further down the aisle, all the way to the end. He was lucky this particular aisle wasn't crowded with customers and their shopping carts – no one to get in his way or ask him dumb questions because they couldn't read the signs hanging overhead of each aisle.

There's gotta be more than this... That was the second thought that held residence in his mind every shift. At twenty-six years old, Bobby had certainly not expected to be working for meagre pay at this point in his life. As he finished his current section of the aisle, the dark-skinned employee pushed his green cart along the store towards his next aisle when his eyes caught the glowing numbers of this week's lottery “winnings”. He saw the big, double-digits the illuminated the screen, promises of millions of dollars – a total change in fortune – to the lucky winner that could predict a series of six or so numbers.

Yeah...right...  he thought bitterly. He had bought a ticket every week for such contests, using only a few dollars from his bi-weekly paycheck. True, it was one in a billion, but wasn't that better than having no chance at all? He'd be able to change his life with such a chance. For a moment, the young man allowed himself to hope and dream of what he would do with such a fortune – one of his favourite things to do during his shifts – dream...

So much so that he almost ran over the woman huddled in the corner of the middle mini-fridge that held some of the juice cans and frozen foods that were on sale!

“Oh Jesus!” he cried out on instinct, his 'day-dreaming' of a rich future forgotten as the cart aggressively pushed into the leg of the woman. Immediately, Bobby pulled the cart back, practically leaping backwards. The woman, meanwhile, snapped her head up before jumping to her feet, her shopping basket (made of black plastic) staying by her white running shoes.
“I am so sorry.” Bobby spit-out in a rush, his words barely more than a jumble. “I did not see you down there-”
“That's alright – it was my fault.” the came the response of insistence. 

The woman's voice, accented of some kind -  Bobby had no idea from where – was very pleasing to the ear. Soft, gentle, no edge or snip to it. Like a lullaby mom use to sing... he decided. The situation no longer as dire as he had feared, the young man was able to take in the sight of the customer. First thing he saw was the dark blue hoodie she wore – a good size or two bigger than her frame, it seemed. It didn't match the lighter blue of the woman's blue jeans. One last check upwards, less than a second so that she wouldn't think he was staring, gave him the sight of the woman's hood covering her entire head – but a single braid of platinum-blonde hair was slipping out of the hood, seeming to highlight the white snowflakes that embroidered the shoulders of the hoodie.

“Were...” he tried to say when he realized that she was staring down at her basket nervously. “Was there something you were looking for? Or did you drop something?” he offered.

“N...No...” the woman shook her hooded head.
“Is something wrong?” he tried again. “Because you were sitting on the floor and-”
“No, I'm okay.” the soft voice shook a little as it was released from within the hoodie. “I just was having a bad moment – needed to stop and clear my head. Does that make sense?”
“Sure.” Weird place to clear your head, lady.

An awkward moment of silence came between the two, causing Bobby to turn his head down towards the woman's basket. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary to him – the woman had purchased some ground beef, cans of sauces, milk, and even a trip to the liquor section of the store. Nothing out of the ordinary – so what would she be upset about that she would lose it in a grocery store?

“Do you need me to call someone?” Given the woman's white hair, he added. “Is someone here that could take care of you?”

The hooded woman seemed to look at him for a moment before suddenly laughing at the statement. Her laugh was quiet but bright. As she calmed, she shook her head. “No, I came here by myself.” she simply stated. 

The moment Bobby had been able to see the woman's face, complete with a pair of sapphire, yet bloodshot eyes, he had realized that he had made a mistake. Despite the light hair, this woman was clearly close to his age and not some old woman that had forgotten where she was.

“Well...okay then.” He offered lamely – wanting nothing else, in that moment, than to get back to work and his 'customer-free' aisles. “If you need anything, I'll be around.”
“Thank you.” the lady offered with a smile before picking up her basket and walking past Bobby and down an aisle, allowing the boy to run down the aisle he wanted to get to to be alone with his thoughts and 'dreams of fortune'.

Of course, had he of looked closer, he would have seen the trail of tears going down the woman's face – the reason for her bloodshot eyes. Had he of followed her, he would have seen the hooded woman tug on her braid harshly with her free hand, hurting herself to try and quiet the voices in her mind. Bobby would have seen someone whose troubles far outweighed his – perhaps giving him no perspective of his stock in life.

Sadly, he didn't see any of this. Preferring to dream of his future where the woman – three aisles down - was dreading hers.

The night before...

Selena Frost could feel the sting in her sapphire eyes, forcing her to blink them closed and rub them with the back of her hands. How long had she been staring at her computer screen? She had honestly lost track of how many emails she had written and how many drafts she had put together for her upcoming promo for the next Breakdown – where Fatal Fortunes would play out. 

It was always the same issue. She'd start off with a Royal Letter and then something knew would be said on Twitter or some new rumor would come about or she'd be sent a youtube video link to hear the latest gossip from fans and people within SCW – always something. It didn't matter each and every time, but something would come to her that would make her rethink what she had wrote until she had deleted whatever work she had put together at that point and start again from scratch.

I can't just say what everyone else is going say... she sighed. She had done that last year and she couldn't even remember what fatal fortunes had been for her. Had it been a tag match or something? Or had that been the year before that? Actually, if she thought about – the Snow Queen could not recall ANY of her previous involvements with Fatal Fortunes. She knew she had been involved with them, but unlike her feuds with Past, Present and Future, all the way back to Red Rayne and even El Vengador – she couldn't remember what she did on the yearly event that filled up two weeks worth of Breakdown episodes.

True, she could look it up and be reminded, but that wasn't really the point. It means I've not done something worthwhile to remember it. Nothing new or exciting or anything!

And she refused to blame anyone but herself for that. She had often played the same kind of promo every other year (those she HAD looked up to refresh her memory). Always “I'll hope for the best!” and it was true, but how many people were going with that “fortune favours the brave” or “luck favours the prepared” set of lines? There were so many promos already aired across SCW's website that had used cliched lines like that. Cliched lines that SHE had used year after year.

Which left her in her current state – staring at a blank, white screen of her Word processor. 

Do I talk about title shots? Odds of those?
Fighting a certain superstar?

Her hands moved to her temples to rub them aggressively. This was not supposed to be this hard. Writing promos, like her Royal Letter or outlines for her Frozen Central segments, was one of her favourite things to do. She would go on walks, waiting for inspiration to hit her on approach and how best to promote SCW and its events. Then, she would just write her thoughts.

But right now, her thoughts were so bland. So...so cliche... so...so like everyone else.

The irony, in that moment, was not lost on the Snow Queen. For so many years, since childhood, she had wished on every star – even those that were non-shooting/falling – to be just like everyone else. Accepted as a person and not shunned for her beliefs or her appearance or anything of the sort. Hell, even when Platinum had turned on her and set out to make her life miserable, she had still wished for people to see her as she was, not what vile picture Regan or Sienna painted her as. Acceptance... that had been the word.

And yet, right now, there she was, trying to think of some way to stand out from the crowd – more so than just her appearance and abilities.

With a huff of an exhale, Selena ran her hands through her mane of platinum-blonde hair as she pushed herself out of her leather chair and paced around her circular office in the basement of her Manhattan house, trying to get her thoughts together by simply moving around the room.

Say the opposite of what is being said. 

What? That it DOESN'T matter? That the event doesn't matter or it doesn't matter what you get? What kind of promoting is that? 

What about beyond fatal fortunes? What would you do if fortune favours you?

Even Mr. D. is waiting to see how the shows end before putting any plans in place – no one knows what could happen!

It was infuriating! She had a dozen or so ideas of where to go but they all ended up with the same cliched line. Hoping and hoping and hoping for luck to be on her side.

“Come on!” she growled to herself as she paced around the room, her head abuzz. “If you're REALLY 'The Face of SCW', then you had better come up with something!”

“Talking to yourself?”

The voice came from the entry-way/exit of her office/study, causing Selena to turn around – or rather spin around on her foot. She almost lost her balance as her sarong swirled around her legs. The black tank-top she wore stayed in place but she had to pull the long, blonde hair out of her eyes as she saw the short-haired redhead smiling at her.

“Should I be worried?” she purred playfully as she leaned against the door frame.
“About me? Maybe later.” Selena sighed, tucking several strands of hair behind her ears. “I'm not going Gio on you.”

Deanna gave a roll of her eyes. “I hope not.” she stated. “Anyway, the kids are asleep.” 
“Oh good.” Selena replied without really hearing what Deanna was saying. As she continued to pace around the room. “Did they give you any trouble?”

Instead of an answer, the Snow Queen was suddenly stopped by a wall of softness as Deanna pushed herself against her wife's toned form. 

“Selena.” she stated with emphasis. “The kids. Are. Asleep.” 

She did not allow her wife time to respond, pressing her soft lips against Selena's. Initially caught off-guard, the platinum-blonde quickly recovered, wrapping her arms around Deanna's smaller frame and pulling her close to her. It was a second before her logic took over, and her brain, buzzing as it was, sent up warning flares! 

She's kissing you! She's going to find out!

Pretending to break the kiss to breathe, Selena eyed her wife. “Here? In the office?”

Deanna shrugged. “We have before – but I'm not picky. Bedroom? If you're worried about noise, we could go to the pool house.”

Selena, meanwhile, was scanning the room, the complete uneasiness she felt at being intimate with Deanna here. “Well, I just...” she started.
“What is it?” Deanna asked. “Are you busy?”
“No...yes...” Selena sighed, gently pushing herself away from her wife. “I can't stop thinking about work.”

A groan of irritation came from the redhead as she heard that. “That's not new.” she sighed. “You worried about Fatal Fortunes?”
“Just the promo, I guess.” Selena shrugged. “Actually, I really don't care what I get. Even if it's a show-opener.”
“Ouch. That would make certain people happy.” Deanna replied. “Selena at the opening of the show?”

Selena shrugged. “It's...” she didn't know how to express her thoughts right away, taking a moment to just walk around the room. “It's hard to get too excited about this. It's never really been something I remember the last few years and it's kind of pointless when you literally have a means to get any match you want at any time in the year.”

“So? Say that.” Deanna offered.
“Oh yeah! That will look good.” Selena shook her head as she walked around her desk. “These shows don't matter to me because I have the means to hit the jackpot without it.”
“So just be happy with what you get.” Deanna offered.

“Deanna...” Selena paused, running both hands through her hair. “I'm supposed to be 'The Face of SCW'. I can't just pass off on a match. I should be – I don't know – doing something creative to promote it! Something more.”
“You're not a clown, Selena.” Deanna offered gently. “Whatever you do – you do in the ring.”

The Snow Queen shrugged her shoulders. “I guess...I'm just... I don't know – I feel like more is expected of me.”
“You expect too much of yourself.” Deanna stated, moving around to take one of Selena's slender hands into both of hers. “If it really doesn't matter to you who you face or what happens, then just be happy that you're going to compete again. Be happy with whatever or whomever you face. And when it's done, you'll have a better idea of what is coming next.”

Selena sighed and nodded her head – at least to please her wife. Deanna couldn't possibly understand. She had done something a few weeks ago that she hadn't ever recalled doing. 

Main-evented a pay-per-view over the World Champion. 

It had stunned her when the news had hit that day of Apocalypse, SCW's last pay-per-view. The callsheet had been posted on the wall and there it was, in black and white: 

Main-event: Selena Frost vs. Giovanni Aries.

Placed after Sienna Swann facing Alistaire Allocco for the World Title. She had needed to read it five times to make sure she hadn't been hallucinating. She hadn't been. Her match was being placed after the world title match. 

And while it may not have been much to anyone else – probably no one really cared except for many a jealous few – to Selena, her brain had practically been on fire with Mr. Dracheywch's promise over a month ago.

Your best is not behind you...

She had trained so much harder, fought so much harder, to prove that – to believe that. She had beaten Alistaire before Sienna had. She had knocked out AJ Helms in a straight match – defeating the man that was seen as 'the new future of SCW' if PPF were to be believed. And then Apocalypse had happened... and now? People were lumping her into the notion of the United States Title – the title Regan Street had claimed Selena would “never hold”. All because she had said she wanted to complete 'personal goals'. A simple sentence and she was already in talks with the second highest title in SCW! 

She couldn't just follow all of that with something as benign as “I'm happy to be here”. It would be so lame. So undeserving of those that were talking about her – the True-Believers – the SCW staff that were calling her 'The Face of SCW' and even considering her as a possibility for the United States Title.

The Snow Queen easily became lost in those thoughts – so much so that she did not realize that her wife was kissing her fully again until Deanna had pulled back, her eyes filled with alarm. Snapping back to reality, Selena's eyes widened as she regarded her wife, who was wearing a simple silver nightgown – how had Selena not noticed that? She loved that gown on her wife – almost as much as Deanna wearing nothing.

“What is it?” Selena asked in a rush. “I'm sorry – did I not kiss you back? My mind was elsewhere -”
“Selena.”

Deanna's voice was suddenly devoid of desire and playful intonations as her emerald-green eyes stared into Selena's sapphire ones. Her small hands, which had, just moments ago, touched Selena's hands and body with such gentleness and need, were now clenched into fists at her sides. 

Her next words were like needles into Selena's heart and spine: “Why do I taste alcohol on your tongue?” 

Crap...

“And why did I smell it on your breath?”

Crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap! Selena's brain stammered the singular word over and over again. This was why she wanted to avoid being so intimate with her wife! Especially here! 

“Deanna...” Selena slowly spoke but her beloved cut her off quick.
“Have you been drinking?” 

Her voice wasn't accusatory or angry – it was scared. And Selena could see that fear in her wife's eyes as she rushed towards the platinum-blonde. “You have to tell me if you are, Selena. I need you to be honest with me!”
“Deanna...I...”
“No, don't pass this off if it's something. Remember NX?”

Selena's eyes slammed shut at the memory. The painkiller her mother and that damn doctor had gotten her hooked on. How easily she had become addicted to that damn drug. She hated her mother and Doctor Paracelsus for that!

Yet, she knew it had been just as much her fault as it had been Anastasia's and her associate. Paracelsus had warned her about the risks – the potential side-effects – but Selena had been younger, naive, obsessed with looking strong and unbreakable in SCW – which she was far from. Regan fracturing her ribs had scared Selena to her core – she had not wanted to look weak as the SCW world champion. So, she had taken more than she should have. And Deanna had almost paid the price for it, herself.

It was your fault for almost killing her.
Just like it was your fault Sirus...I... was killed.

Selena's eyes flashed away to the corner of the room behind Deanna. Sure enough, standing there, with the same sick, twisted glare was Evangeline DeWinter's deceased daughter, Sirus. Her white hair and gangly appearance was still haunting, but now...

Now... as Selena took in the sight of her haunter, she saw a difference. Sirus grin – the twisted, crooked smirk, like that of a monster – a predator... Selena had seen it before.

On Giovanni Aries...

“Die, Lizard King!” the phantom hissed, but it was in Giovanni's voice, just as it had been that night a few weeks ago in Chicago, when he leaped off that platform with the intent to...to...

Kill me...

Selena's eyes slammed shut and she pushed herself away from Deanna – though she only wanted to get away from Sirus – turning her back to both of them as she fought the urge to shatter into pieces.

“Selena!” begged Deanna, taking the few steps closer to Selena, but the Snow Queen spun around, holding her hands up.
“I'm fine, Deanna.” Selena said as confidently as she could fake. “I've not been drinking. You know how I feel about that part of my life.”
“But...” Deanna's eyes were scanning Selena's, as well as the rest of the Snow Queen's body – Selena had been scrutinized by those emerald orbs long enough to know when it was happening. Deanna was looking for any signs of guile – any reason to suspect she was being lied to.

Don't give her one... her mind screamed.
GIVE HER ONE! Sirus hissed – her voice now a mixture of hers and the Mad Hatter of SCW.

“I know what I tasted and smelled.” Deanna reasoned.
“Deanna, didn't you have a glass of red wine tonight?” Selena offered. “I think it was your first one since Ami was born.”

“I...” Deanna's cheeks turned a slight red. “No. I just used it for a reduction tonight.”
“Oh come on.” Selena said playfully with a teasing smile – though she felt none of those emotions. “You can't pull that one on me. You expect me to believe that you didn't 'help yourself' to a sip? Hmm?”

“But...” Deanna reasoned, but her blush only grew. “I didn't drink that much. Just a sip – and that wasn't what I smelled-”

“Deanna.” Selena sighed, taking a step back from her wife but taking the redhead's hands firmly into hers. “Given the last few weeks and...what happened outside and with the club – maybe I've not been myself as much. I've had alot on my mind with things – I'm still terrified of what the Frosts are going to do to us. I'm constantly worried about messing up in SCW... and maybe I've tried to deal with those things myself. Maybe that was wrong of me. Because I can see now where that has lead your mind.”

“I...” Deanna had no counter for this. Selena was beyond concentrated on keeping her words clear and her mind as focused as possible on her single task: fooling Deanna. “I just don't want this to happen again.”
“Me neither.” Selena stated as evenly as she could. “I hated being addicted to that, and then to NX. But... I assure you... I am not going to lose myself to those demons again.”
“You promise?”

Selena spine went stiff and she saw Sirus' grin widen to almost inhuman lengths. Yes... it hissed at Selena. Promise her. Lie to her!

“I promise.” Selena breathed, feeling her heart finally shatter at the words, replacing everything with a cold, numbness that was all too familiar to the Snow Queen. “And I promise that if I ever do, I will tell you.”

As if to prove her point, Selena gently twirled her wife with her hand, surprising Deanna, who played along purely out of instinct. The Snow Queen pulled her wife to her before dipping her low, like she often did when they danced. “See?” she stated. “If I were drinking, could I possibly do that?”
“I don't know?” Deanna teased – convinced. “I've only seen you drunk once.”
“Yeah, I'm no fun drunk. Remember?”

“Disagree.” Deanna countered, pulling herself up to press her lips to Selena's. This time, however, Selena kept her lips sealed shut – a closed lip kiss – and held her breath so as not to breath at all on Deanna. Just as her lungs were about to burn and burst from holding her breath that long, Deanna broke the kiss, allowing Selena to pull her wife up and quietly exhale without alerting Deanna.

“Now...can we continue where we left off?” the redhead offered.
“In...” Selena thought quickly. “In a moment. You go upstairs and I'll be there shortly. I just had an idea for my promo!”
“From a kiss and talking about alcohol?”
“Sure!” Selena faked a smile. “Old demons, that sort of thing! It's perfect. Just let me get these ideas down and then...” she looked up to wiggle her eyebrows at her wife teasingly. “I'll get down on you.”

Deanna's eyes widened at her wife's brazen statement, but the blush to her cheeks told Selena just how much the idea was thrilling to the redhead, who scampered out of the room. The Snow Queen did not move as she heard the sounds of her wife rushing up the two sets of stairs. Did not move until those sounds were gone.

It was only a few seconds after that that the former world champion took a deep breath and walked towards the long bookshelf that stretched around the entire office in a circular banner. Reaching the left section, Selena quickly tugged at the novel “The Snow Queen” by Hans Christen Anderson, instantly unlocking the latch that opened the secret door she had often used for various reasons. Slipping into the secret room, Selena's eyes immediately rested on her wrestling accomplishments:

Replicas of the titles she had won.
Photos of some of her greatest career moments thus far.
The tournament trophies she had acquired.

The latest item added was a framed copy of her Tournament Trios contract. Selena's eyes sought it out. There it was, framed and hanging on the wall. Her name was there in bold as “Trios Tournament Winner: Selena Frost”.

She took the necessary steps to walk towards the frame and, reaching out with her hands, she removed it from the wall to reveal a safe inside the wall. The fingers of her free hand moved quickly, turning the dial left and right until the safe opened easily. Inside, Selena's eyes gazed at some personal items of her. Certain family photos (in case the ones upstairs were ever ruined), personal data files on Malcolm Scythe (one of the many copies that existed for her family's safety)...

And an empty bottle of Crown Royal.

Closing her eyes, the coldness flowing through her veins, Selena reached into the safe and pulled the empty bottle out. Placing the Trios plaque down, she used her newly freed hand to close the vault door before placing the plaque back on top of it. That accomplished, Selena held the empty, glass bottle in her hands, turning it over and over again, her fingertips feeling the smooth contours of the designed glass.

SMASH!

The room was silent after that. No, Selena had not dropped the bottle after turning it so many times in her hands. Rather, she had simply looked at the bare, concrete wall on the other side of the secret room and thrown the damn thing with all she had, watching the pitiful substance shatter without any hesitation. The pieces fell to the ground, flying their merry way, released from the confines of uniform pattern.

She had just watched it all happen, as if in slow motion.

Because she was lying. She was drinking. She could admit that in this room. She was drinking again and she wasn't planning on stopping any time soon. She couldn't. 

Because Deanna just didn't understand.

This wasn't some addiction like it had been back in Nome. And this wasn't some innate fear of “looking weak” like it had been with the NX. 

No, Selena was awakening her old demon in order to shut up the one that was haunting her now. When she was facing the demon of her addiction, she could control it, ignore it. 

Sirus was not so easy. Sirus haunted her every time she felt even remotely at peace. Only the buzz of alcohol or the adrenaline of SCW could distract her enough to keep her locked away in a dark corner of her mind. Other than that, Sirus was a demon Selena had no idea how to beat.

But she could control her addiction.

She only needed a little to quiet Sirus. Only a little to shut the voices up. Long as it didn't get worse, it was the best situation. The devil I know... Selena had told herself. At least until Sirus went away, then she would stop again and lay her known demon to rest once and for all.

Yet, as she spied the shatters of glass on the floor, she could not help but feel the self-revulsion that filled her gut. That she was hiding this from Deanna – just like before. Except this wasn't addiction – this was KEEPING her from giving in and taking drugs or losing her mind. This was keeping her in the realm of reality – where Sirus hated Selena being.

“It's for the best...” Selena whispered, the cold sweeping in after her moment of rage in throwing the bottle. It did not take long for the Snow Queen to find a broom and dustpan, quickly sweeping up the glass pieces and placing them in a bag. She would have to take that bag with her when she left  day after tomorrow for Breakdown, so that Deanna wouldn't accidentally find the pieces, but it was a simple matter.

Carefully, she sneaked the bag out of the house, placing it in the back of her 'galaxy-designed' car. She was grateful the first show of Fatal Fortunes was being held in Buffalo, only about six hours of a drive from her home. Just as quietly, she sneaked back into the house just in time to see Sirus standing at the foot of the steps, her wrinkled, white arms leaning over the stair-rail. 

Selena stopped when she saw the phantom, narrowing her eyes at the ghost as she then cast her eyes upstairs to where her bedroom – where Deanna – was waiting.

“Not a word.” she whispered in a hiss to Sirus. “You've done enough today.”
“Clearly not.” the creature whispered back. “You're still alive.”

Selena left the demon at that. She would need to deal with her later – with the remedy she hated using. For now, she quickly went upstairs to the bathroom, rinsed her mouth out aggressively with the mouthwash (no sense in furthering Deanna's suspicions) before going to her children's room and giving all three of them: Elsianna, David and Amiliah a kiss goodnight on the cheek.

The nightly ritual complete, the platinum-blonde took a deep breath before casting her eyes down the stairs, where Sirus still stood.

I dont care what you do... Selena thought towards the white-haired ghost. I'm going to beat you.

She left the demon at that, preferring to carry the demon she knew far better inside her heart.

It was harder for Selena to be so confident out in public. When she had to hide from people she knew. When she was constantly terrified of being discovered by people in her neighbourhood. That's what she had worn her hoodie and why she had ducked down low in that grocery store. She had almost been spotted by one of her neighbours – Colleen and Thomson! She had ducked behind the middle-fridge of sorts as they had walked between aisles – and she had stayed there for a solid fifteen minutes until that young boy – the grocery store employee – had almost run her over with his cart.

Now? Selena looked down at her basket. She already paid for the two bottles – one of bourbon for Deanna and her reductions in her meals – and the other... to replace the one she had smashed last night. For a moment, the Snow Queen questioned herself:

How could she have been so stupid to smash the bottle? What if Deanna had heard that and come running down? How would she have explained the pieces of an empty Crown Royal bottle then? 

But she didn't. Her brain reminded her. And now, Selena had made sure the bottles were at the bottom of the basket, covered by her other grocery items. Yes, it was simple, but Selena delighted in the small victory over her fear. Better than hiding in the aisles – though next time, I'll buy it last.

Again: another victory. She was still disgusted with herself for indulging her familiar demon rather than deal with Sirus, but at least she was learning ways to do so more and more discreetly – and she was keeping things in a healthy control-

“Selena?”
Damn, I thought they were gone.

The voice caused the Snow Queen to take a deep breath before turning around and removing her hood from atop her head. She immediately spotted the older woman waving at her. Quickly, she waved back, repeating her familiar mantra mentally to keep herself calm. Conceal... Don't feel...

“Can't really talk right now.” she said across the hall from where she stood near the cashiers. “I'm in a hurry to get home and then work.”
“Oh...” the tanned woman (Selena thought the woman used too much spray-on tan to be honest) sighed before she suddenly scurried closer to Selena as the platinum-blonde removed the items from her basket to pay for them.

Crap if she sees the bottles...

The fear of the neighbour telling on her to Deanna prompted her next move. As gracefully as if she were wrestling in the ring, Selena grabbed a nearby grocery bag (with leaves designed all over it) and placed it on top of the two bottle. “This bag too.” she whispered to the cashier. “The two bottles I already paid for.” she said much softer.

“Got it.” the young boy, a teenager with spiky, blond hair, replied nonchalantly, clearly not a fan of his job.

Just in time, Selena turned her head to see Colleen reach her, the small, woman wearing a rather thick sweater for autumn.

“Hey.” Selena did her best to smile warmly. “Cold outside?”
“For me, it is.” The older woman laughed. “Where's Deanna?”
“I came alone.” Selena replied quickly, watching her basket move through the corner of her eye. “Deanna's watching the kids. Ami's still can't be by herself.”
“Oh, that's right!” Colleen nodded in understanding. “Took our little Richard so long to get use to a baby-sitter.”
“Well...we've had one on occasion.” Selena replied absent-mindedly.
“Really?” Colleen asked in surprise. “Aren't you worried the baby will get more use to the sitter than you?”

Selena shook her head. “I don't think so. We didn't have a problem with David. She has him and Elsianna and Deanna most of the time.”
“Well...” the woman shrugged. “I'm just saying it's best to be careful. Children are so impressionable.”

Precisely why I want to get home and hide this before I'm stopped by anyone else – especially Deanna! Selena thought as her purchased were rung through. Quickly, she paid for the items before placing them back into the basket.

“Don't you want them in the bag?” the cashier asked.
“That's okay!” Selena quickly replied, her speed surprising both the boy and Colleen. “I'll do it myself... I have a way...”

She was quick to walk through, but cast a “talk to you later” to Colleen before disappearing into a 'seating section' of the grocery store. As quick as she could, she pulled the bag out of the basket and stuffed the two bottles of liquor in first so no one could see her do it. This was followed by the rest of her items. With that task finished, Selena breathed a sigh of relief – another small victory.

Now I just have to sneak into my own house, get downstairs, stash the liquor without my wife or three kids seeing me do it. Should be easy... she thought as she made her way to her car. As she thought that thought, however, she was certain the demon of her past addictions was laughing inside her, which was better than Sirus again but it was still annoying as hell.

Because – Selena realized as she drove the car back home and prepared for her sneak-mission – with all this stress about hiding and demons...

Least I'm not worried about Fatal Fortunes anymore...

[Image: tetXUW1.jpg]

The camera opens up to reveal the First Niagara Center in Buffalo, New York – the home for the first Breakdown of Fatal Fortunes. The ring has already been set up for tonight's event, which is perfect for the segment promo that is now playing. The lights are a familiar arctic-blue and white and a cold mist seems to hang in the arena where so much will decided that could change the course of SCW's new season!

However, what is off about this particular segment is that – while the host of the show, the Snow Queen Selena Frost, is indeed within in the ring, as per usual – she is not by herself. For inside the ring is a simple Texas-Hold'Em Poker Table, the soft, felt-green contrasting to the white and blue of the lights, ring and the black leggings and white dress top Selena wears, her hair in its iconic braid. What's more intriguing is that there are more than just “poker cards” and chips on the table. In fact, the table is decorated with a plethora of game pieces, from chess pieces to a billiard ball to checkers to even a piece or two from Monopoly.

With a smile, Selena runs a pale hand along the table, gracefully caressing several of the game pieces.

What can one say about Fatal Fortunes, SCW? The Snow Queen seems to think about that question for a moment before suddenly scoffing with a huff of laughter. Wow, that is such a cliche way to start this, isn't it? Because, really, the better question would be – what can't be said about Fatal Fortunes? I mean, you have puns of fortune, gambling, promises, vows, really – when you don't know who you're facing or what to talk about – many of SCW's roster will talk about anything. 

Some love this event because it favoured them in the past.
Some hate this event because it didn't. 

Me?
The platinum-blonde sighed. To be honest, I don't know what to feel. I mean, complete truth here, I don't remember much about any of the times I've been in this event. And it's not because of SCW or the lottery drawing or anything like that. It's just... I never did something worthwhile at this event. I never treated whatever I was given like something that could be... unique? Special? I'm kind of floundering on finding the right word here. It's like in poker, when you KNOW you've been dealt a bad hand so you just fold at the first chance? You never give the hand a chance on the flop or the river - never play against the odds and take a risk? I feel like I did that in the past and I never really embraced the notion of this night. Because I don't remember a single match I've had at these events.

And that is my fault, first and foremost. I accept that and it motivates me to be here now, doing this before all of you...

Slowly, Selena holds a finger up to the camera. But before I do, I feel like I need to address a few elephants in the room. These are the people that have the worst 'poker-face' imaginable -besides me. Selena shrugs. Sorry, I'm transparent. I am who I am and refuse to be seen as anything other than that.

I guess that's something Regan and I supposedly have in common. 

Regan, Regan, Regan... I mean... really? You know, I had heard a lot of rumblings from the forums, Twitter and Discord that you were mad at me – I mean, moreso than usual. No idea why at the time, just that it had something to do with Apocalypse or around that. I figured you were mad because I knocked out AJ and then didn't die at the hands of Giovanni...

And if it WAS AJ, I'd understand – I wrestled him and fought to my best. When the match was over, I checked to make sure he was okay. I heard he is and I'm beyond glad he is.

Selena bites her lower lip as she shrugs. But you weren't mad at me about that, were you? You were enraged because – and I can't believe I am saying this – that it was my match that closed out the Apocalypse Pay-Per-View...

Reaching up, Selena rubs her forehead with her fingers.

Seriously, Regan? You're mad that I placed higher up on the card than you? That's what this has come down to? You're mad because you don't think I deserve that spot? Hey! I'll be honest, Regan, it surprised me too, okay? I thought I'd be behind the world title match, not in front of it. I didn't ask for it. I didn't demand it. I sure as hell didn't make empty threats like your coward of a sister, Mikalea! I just said “I'll fight Giovanni. Name the time and place” and SCW did that. 

But you think it's more unprofessional bias? You think it's 'SCW holding you back'?

Reaching her hand out, Selena picks up a white-domino piece, holding it in her hand. Tell me something, Regan. Didn't you win the Woman's title at this event - even though, just at the pay-per-view before, you lost to Marina Trent? You lost your chance and then were blessed with a second chance... was that SCW 'holding you back'? Was that bias? How about when you failed to capture the United States title the first time? You got another shot at the very next pay-per-view. Was that bias? Was that you being 'held back'? Did SCW 'hold you back' when you assaulted the boss and were suspended? Did they just strip you of your title or did they give you a real chance to keep it?! But because I headline a pay-per-view over you, it's a bias decision?

Could that decision have anything to do with what I've accomplished since Rise to Greatness, Regan? The fact that, between pay-per-views, I beat not only AJ Helms but the number one contender, Alistaire Allocco? And I did it cleanly! No disqualification wins like you were so found in handing me because they 'don't count', right? Could the fact that rather than be 'done' and 'the best being behind me' like you and Sienna are so fond of repeating about me, I actually am trying to prove you two wrong with actual success?

Selena places the domino on its edge, standing it vertical. This is followed by another piece, and a third as she speaks. Maybe I should just speak this in common sense to you – or ask your husband – he's an amazing, intelligent man and he's booked shows too with UWA!

Because while I was beating those contenders for various titles, including the World, you were beating on your own brother as he tried to retire with dignity. Not only that, you assaulted a non-wrestler! And then, the icing on the cake, you got in the face of Owen Cruze, insulting him and his lineage – prompting a match between you two.

So...ask your husband, Regan, between that and the match between the man that won the Taking Hold of the Flame Battle Royale and the woman that's been in the main-event picture consistently for over a year, which would you use to highlight all that SCW stands for? Which would you use to cap off such an amazing pay-per-view?

Selena shrugs as she flicks one domino with her hand, causing the line to fall down in perfect pattern.

I mean, you and Sienna can't seem to go a promo without talking about me – so maybe my name does actually hold some importance here. Maybe, and this is a VERY big maybe... but maybe the reason I went to the main-event and why I'm the one that's being talked about over you is because I am what Winters, Sharper, and countless others have called me...

Selena takes a deep breath before looking up at the camera, her eyes clear-blue and sharp.

The Face of SCW.

Maybe it's not bias, Regan, but rather, I actually give a damn about this company and this business. You cry about being all about it – but I'm the one that lives it every time I come here. I'm the one that takes the gambles, big and small, whatever I need to stand by what I believe in, to protect what I believe in – that being SCW. I take the hits, the wins and losses and continue playing the game, as it were.

You? You're the person blaming the dealer every time you get a bad hand. And rather than learning from it or playing smarter, you just keep yelling at the dealer. 

Here's a thought, Regan. What don't you, instead of attacking people who can't fight back, simply challenge some big star? Hmmm? Go down to the ring and challenge someone like Ravyn or Kennedy or someone you believe is “on your level”, as you are so fond of saying. Then, show some respect and wrestle with dignity and honour – actually represent SCW properly – rather than fake some apology before going right back to what you were doing before the apology.

Because if all you are going to do is blame the dealer rather than take an actual risk, it's going to be a LONG time before a good hand comes your way...

The dominoes lying on their side, Selena picks up a nearby metal ball, tossing it between her hands.

Sorry to single people out this early in a promo – especially considering I probably won't have ANYTHING to do with those I do single out, but really – I am honestly surprised,  True-Believers. There are dozens and dozens of superstars in this federation. So many amazing people that could “strike gold” as it were and get a chance. And you've got Reagan and Sienna unable to stop talking about me: one person. But, you know what? I can't even say I am surprised at them. Regan is clearly bitter and jealous over something I have no control over and Sienna's angry because she never “erased me” like she thought she would. 

But really, what is wrong with the United States Champion? Yes, Bree Lancaster...
Selena shakes her head. Wow, Bree. You're on the cusp of defending your title against an unknown. Last time I did that? Not knowing who I was facing till the night I did, I lost the World title. It was devastating. But you? You clearly are focused on me. I mean, you spent most of your promo singling me out. Why? Because I said I have “goals” that I want to go for? That I said that I'm working to be “better than ever before” so you've focused on that?

Looking down, Selena looks at the metal ball in her hand. You know there are two kinds of people on these nights of random chance, Bree. There are those that anticipate nothing... Reaching out with her free hand, Selena picks up a pack of red, white, and blue chips, placing them all on a single spot on a line of numbers, the spot being a white 22. She then reaches over to a billiard – ball-spinner and, with her free fingers, she spins the wheel, dropping the metal ball into it and watching it spin. And there are those that pretend they are gods or that they can 'see the future'. People like that will place all their bets on one thing. One number. One person. One lucky draw.

“Only a certain title will satisfy me.”
“Only facing so and so will be good for me.”

I mean, you're so obsessed with facing me over some off-the-cuff remarks by Sharper that you fail to anticipate the hunger of Chris Cannon - who wants fatal fortune to mean more than a title loss in his history, or the need for redemption of Blake Mason, or maybe the randomness of Ikiro Yoshiada - the man that holds victory over both members of Dark Fantasy.

The wheel slows as Selena watches.

Maybe you will draw me, Bree – and you can have that amazing moment of “I told you so” before I knock you out with my feet. But...if I were to wager... I'd say that you don't have what I have, Bree – a Trios Contract – meaning you can't MAKE whatever future you want happen... and if you try too hard to anticipate it...

The wheel stops and the ball slides into a slot – a red 8. Selena shrugs before swiping her hand across the board, knocking the stack of chips away. You might just get wiped off the board without one.

Her hand outstretched, said hand is actually near a deck of playing cards which Selena picks up and begins to shuffle.

That's kind of what I am seeing in SCW, True-Believers. People thinking they are prophets or people thinking they won't get anything out of this amazing pair of nights. Trust me, I use to be the latter – remember? No memory of the last few years? But I don't want to be that person anymore. I don't think that's what someone that wants to embody SCW's best qualities – “The Face of SCW” - god! That feels so cool to say! - should be so arrogant or so negative...

A shrug from the Snow Queen.

Because I have so MANY beliefs in this night now! Maybe I WILL face Bree or Regan or Sienna as they seem so sure of – though I think only one of them can be right in terms of “getting me AND beating me” - which all three should know is much harder than you think.

Or...
Selena flicks her wrist, revealing a card – the Queen of Hearts – to the audience. Maybe I'll get a chance a title NO ONE has considered me for... One that, in my youthful naivety, I called myself “the Queen” of. Maybe breaking a certain record and beating a 'longest champ' is the 'goal' I was thinking of – one of them.

Smiling knowingly, Selena gently places the card down on the table. But then again, perhaps I could luck out in a different way... find a... kindred spirit. Revealing another card, Selena places the Queen of Spades beside the Queen of Hearts.
Someone to... tag... around with?

Another whimsical smile from the Snow Queen as she licks her lips – clearly having fun playing this game for the SCW Universe.

Or maybe... maybe that's not what I want deep down in my heart. Maybe, while all such prizes are beyond wonderful – they aren't what I truly yearn for.

Maybe, I don't care about my ego or advancing my “list” or adding to my accolades as much as some would think. Maybe I'm looking for something far more unique and permanent for me.

Placing the cards down, Selena's hands rest on the edge of the table, her eyes scanning the many pieces – the countless routes her fate could take.

Maybe, more than a title, more than a specific opponent – maybe what I want is a game-changer. Mr. D., our boss, has locked the list of drawn matches in a safe and has stated up and down that he is making no plans past these next two weeks. Why? Because he believes – he truly believes – that SCW's course will change somehow. That something could happen to alter everything planned for this season of SCW! And not just some simple change of title or adding a name to a list but something that...that...

With a sudden burst of strength, Selena flips the table over! Countless game pieces go flying through the air, some immediately falling to the ground while others fly out of the ring! It is a blizzard for a second or two of game pieces as Selena stands there, at the centre of it!

Changes everything...

Slowly, as the chaos settles, Selena quietly walks around the littered ring canvas.

For so long now, I have fought to defend SCW. Fought to defend it against those that seek to destroy it, burn it, assault the innocent people of it, or simply want to take shortcut after shortcut and cheat the SCW Universe of what they are paying their hard-earned money to see. 

But my last match? Against Giovanni? Like I said, I know it isn't over between him and I, but he is gone for now. Out of SCW while he recovers and I truly wish him well. But I don't want to just simply go back to fighting self-entitled prima donnas just yet. I don't want to go back to being the protector of SCW just yet. I want to do more for SCW! I want to fight for more for SCW! And as much as Regan will cry about it – I want to continue to earn the main-events I get and earn the right to be “The Face of SCW”!

Her eyes settling on a piece, Selena bends down to pick up the white queen chess piece lying on the mat.

They say the white queen is the most versatile piece in chess – I can promise you that that will apply to me either tonight or next week Milwaukee – but what I want is to be knocked off the path I am currently on. I want the night I'm picked to take me off one board and put me on another! To set up a new game for the Snow Queen! A new journey! One that no one - not me or the prophets or even Mr. D. can predict! Something that a game piece like me – a game piece of SCW – will need to adapt to in order to survive and thrive!

Selena's pale hand clutched the chess piece tightly.

And thrive is exactly what I plan to do – to show the world – just as I did in my last Breakdown matches that whatever Breakdown gives me – whatever fate gives me – whatever SCW gives me – I will adapt, I will get better, and I will rise above it - to better than I ever have before! So... whatever, whomever, whenever it is that I draw... I hope you will understand what has just been told and what is believed in...

Because one way or another – I will get my journey changed! And I will be a game-changer for SCW – Believe it!

With a turn, the “Face of SCW” walks past the flipped table, placing the white queen on the top of the table's side, the queen standing above all journeys and paths that fate could have planned for her...