Supreme Championship Wrestling

Full Version: Chance Owens vs. Magical Cosmic Princess YUYO/Polly Playtime
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
SCW Television Championship

3500 word max per RP

Deadline: 11:59:59 pm ET Wednesday, January 18, 2023
[Have you ever been in a situation where you had to say “The hell with it” and do something to even the odds knowing full well you were putting your own well-being at risk? Where you were purposely putting yourself in harm's way to ensure a fair fight? Sometimes you have to because there are people who don't play by the rules and want to cheat their way to success. But the problem with doing the right thing is that sometimes you do it by yourself. Luckily, there are other people there to back you up when you do the right thing more often than not. And then there are the rare occasions when you can take advantage of a distraction to level the playing field. What, you don't believe me? Such an occurrence happened on the January 12th edition of SCW Breakdown and the most unlikely of heroes rose to the occasion and prevented an in-ring case of highway robbery. Oh, did I get your attention? Good! Follow me! I'm taking you on a trip to see who it was and find out if there was any fallout!]

Denver, Colorado. A thriving city full of bustle and activity. It being Sunday, most folks are at home spending time with family or watching sports. Some offices are open on Sunday, because some things don't recognize weekends. One of the most common businesses open on a Sunday is a doctor's office. This particular office only takes patients with appointments on Sundays. Chance Owens is sitting in the waiting room with his younger brother Leo and a faint grimace on his face. Leo shakes his head as he looks at his older brother. “Didn't the doctor tell you to take it easy?”

Chance laughs a little. “Technically, I did take it easy.” He shrugs his right shoulder. “I just used one move instead of being in a full match.”

“He's gonna yell at you anyway, you know... You've been grimacing and cussing under your breath all morning.”

“I slept wrong.” Chance gingerly rubs his left side. “You know my bed sucks.” The beds he and Leo had been able to afford thanks to Adam and Liam won't be delivered for a month, much to their dismay. Liam hadn't been happy when he'd heard about the delay, but there was only so much he could do.

“Yeah, that's true, but still.”

One of the nurses at reception steps out from behind the counter with a folder in her hands. “Chance Owens?”

Chance gets to his feet and pats Leo on the shoulder. “I'll be back, little brother.”

The nurse recognizes him when he approaches and her smile is genuine. “Hi Chance, this way, please.”

“Lead on.” He bites back a smile as he follows her down the hallway, taking time to appreciate the pleasant view he has.

She brings him to one of the exam rooms and unfortunately for him, there's a baby in the room right beside him. “The doctor will be with you as soon as he can... An urgent patient came in a few minutes before you checked in.”

Chance sits in the chair for patients with a smile. “I don't mind waiting when it's important.”

“Thank you so much for understanding.” She closes the door with a soft click.

Chance is left alone with his thoughts and can't help snickering at what he did on Breakdown. “Amelia, Amelia, Amelia. You think I'm scared of you? Not even you and Glory Braddock combined could do any serious damage! No, I'm not afraid of you. As a matter of fact, I have a two word response to your little 'threat'... Bring it!” Then he leans back and closes his eyes while he waits. It's hard to ignore the screaming baby next to him... But he tries his best.

The doctor gives a perfunctory knock on the door before he opens it. “Hi Chance, how are you doing?”

Chance grimaces at another spasm in his side from the crappy bed he has to sleep in for another month. “Other than having to wait a month for my new bed... I'm doing okay.”

“Any lingering soreness when you move your body a certain way?”

“No.”

“Any pulling from the incisions?”

“No.”

The doctor throws in a different kind of question. “And you're sure the spasm you just had wasn't from your escapades on Thursday?”

Chance notes the difference of the question with a raised eyebrow but he answers readily enough. “Yes, I'm sure... My bed is garbage and I slept wrong last night.”

The doctor makes a sound of disapproval, almost like he doesn't believe Chance. His words belie the sound he made, though. “When can you get a new bed?”

“Leo and I were able to buy new beds last week but they won't be delivered until some time in February.”

“Why the long delay?”

“Supplier problems.” Chance sighs and shakes his head. “People are still causing shortages.”

The doctor shakes his head as well. “There's nothing we can do about that, unfortunately... Go ahead and sit on the table there so I can do the usual checks.” Heart, lungs, blood pressure.

“Do you need me to take off my shirt so you can check my incisions?” Even as he stands up and leaves his jacket on the chair.

The doctor smiles and shakes his head. “No, you can just lift it up if I need to check them.”

“Okay.” Chance sits on the table with his right side facing the doctor. Laparoscopic surgeries only leave three or four small incisions on a patient's torso opposed to large scar-forming cuts created by standard surgical procedures. Those small incisions usually heal quickly and leave only tiny scars behind.

The checkup goes smoothly and the doctor smiles after making a few notes on his tablet. “Everything is normal and your muscle tone is good... Just be careful this week if you can.”

Chance eases himself off the table with a chuckle. “No guarantees, Doctor, but I'll try.” He goes to claim his jacket off the chair and shrugs it back on.

“That's all I ask... Why did you get involved in that match anyway, if you don't mind my asking?”

“I hate cheaters, so I did something about it.”

The doctor laughs and opens the door. “Always right to the point.”

“It gets me in trouble sometimes, but I don't care. We need to stand our ground sometimes.”

“We could use more people like you, Chance. Did you want me to let your other employer know you've been cleared to go back to work?” He's referring to Mr. Gleason and the insurance company.

“Oh, would you, please? I'm booked on Breakdown this Thursday so my mind's going to be elsewhere.”

“Consider it done.” The doctor gestures for Chance to leave first.

Chance nods to say thank you and finds his way back to the waiting room where Leo is waiting for him. “Look alive, little brother.”

Leo looks up from his phone and smiles. “All done?”

“All done. I don't have to come back unless I get hurt again.”

Leo stands up and stretches before putting his phone in his pocket. “Shall we leave, then?”

“We shall.” Chance holds the door open for Leo and follows him out into the chilly winter air. “I think our next stop should be a clothing store.”

“Did you want me to call Mom and ask for a ride?”

Chance carefully removes the disposable surgical mask he was wearing and breathes deeply to chase the antiseptic smell out of his nostrils. “Would you, please? The thought of taking a taxi makes me shudder.”

“Done deal.” Leo takes his phone out of his pocket and calls their mother Amanda at home. “Hi Mom? It's Leo. We just came out of the doctor's office and Chance wants to go clothes shopping. He doesn't want to take a taxi. Said the thought of it makes him shudder. Yeah. Thanks, Mom. See you soon. Bye.” He hits End and pockets his phone with a happy sigh before taking off his mask. “She'll be here in ten to fifteen minutes, traffic permitting.”

“That's good.” Chance slowly inhales a lung full of cold January air and exhales it just as slowly. The burn from the chill acts as a stimulant and he can feel himself waking up. Amanda's car pulls up to the curb twelve minutes later and he grins. “Right on time!” He can hear Leo laughing as they get in.

- - -

Chance, Leo and Amanda bring the bags and boxes of clothes into the townhouse amid gales of laughter three hours later. Chance puts what he's carrying at the top of the stairs and waits for Leo and Amanda to offload their burdens. He's still chortling from the look on the cashier's face from the last store. “You'd think she's never seen people go on a shopping spree before!”

Amanda's giggling uncontrollably. “She's used to it being women, Chance!”

That sets Chance off again and he leans against the wall, shaking with the force of his laughter. “I think she was on the verge of calling security on us!”

Leo rubs the leg he broke before Christmas and goes to bring in another load of bags. “She would have if we'd gotten the really expensive stuff!” He and Amanda leave Chance inside with his laughter.

Chance had been paying close attention to what he and Leo were buying so he knows which bags and boxes are his and which are Leo's. He moves them into two distinct groupings and wipes the tears of mirth off his face before going out to see if there's anything left for him to bring in. “The stuff near the kitchen is Leo's.” He finds three large bags and scoops them out by the handles with one hand so he can close the trunk with the other. A quick visual inspection tells him that's everything and he closes the trunk before going back inside. “This is the last of it... Thanks for coming in with us, Mom.”

Amanda smiles and hugs her sons. “It was my pleasure. I don't think I've seen either of you smile or laugh so much since you were young.”

“Well part of it was from being stared at by all those women.”

Leo grins. “They were checking out your butt, Chance.”

“Most of them were at least Mom's age! No offense, Mom.”

Amanda chuckles. “No offense taken.” Then she starts laughing again. “That one woman who thought I was your sugar mama instead of your mother...”

Now it's Leo's turn to lean against the wall as he laughs. “Did you see the look on her face when Chance turned around to confront her!?”

Chance shakes his head and puts the large bags near the front closet. He'd closed the door with his foot after coming back inside. “It was her daughter's comment that did it for me... 'Mom, you need glasses. Didn't you see the resemblance?'. I almost died laughing!”

Amanda is still laughing as she goes to the front door so she can leave. “That was the most fun I've had in a long time... You boys be careful with that money, okay?”

“We will.”

“I'm glad to hear it.” Adam and Liam had given Chance a hundred thousand dollars. She opens and closes the door as she steps outside.

Chance hears the door close and bends down to rummage through one of the bags of his clothing. He grunts as he digs, then makes a soft sound of satisfaction as he comes up with what he was looking for. “Go ahead and put your stuff away... I'll be back.”

Leo sees what Chance is holding and puts one hand up. “Don't break anything. You have a title match on Breakdown.”

Chance's grin is downright sadistic. “It won't be my bones breaking, little brother.” He moves his hands around what he's holding and a store price tag flutters to the ground followed by the thin plastic device used to hold it in place. A piece of cardboard follows close behind and he makes his way to the front door. The door opens and he pauses to put on what he's holding. Oh no. He's wearing a brand new pair of black fighter's gloves.

Leo shakes his head as the door closes. “I hope you know what you're doing...” Then he starts moving his stuff to his room.

Chance comes back less than half an hour later dripping with sweat and grinning like the cat that swallowed the canary. “That's better.” The fighter's gloves he just bought that day are still intact.

“Who did what to deserve you beating the hell out of them?”

“Some schmuck who thought it'd be fun to throw rocks at Mom's car while she was on the sidewalk as she was leaving.”

Leo scowls as he comes down and closes the door before throwing the deadbolt. “Serves him right.” Then he looks at Chance. “Hands.”

Chance lifts his hands so Leo can remove the fighter's gloves. “People started running when they saw me heading his way... I don't know why...” The twinkle in his eyes says he knows exactly why.

Leo laughs as he takes the gloves off. “They haven't forgotten.”

“It's only been five years, little brother...” Chance sighs contently. “I didn't know how much I needed that until just now.”

“Don't let it overwhelm you. As I said before you left, you have a title match on Breakdown this coming Thursday.”

“I know.” Chance goes up the stairs and starts moving the bags of his clothes to his room. He only realizes Leo's helping him when he turns around and sees him holding bags in his hands. “Thanks, Leo.”

“You're welcome.” Leo leaves the bags near Chance's closet and they go to finish moving the bags. He points to the couch when they're done. “Sit.”

Chance plops down on the couch and covers up with his favorite blanket. “I think the furnace is on the fritz!”

“I'll call maintenance in a few minutes here... I need to hang up our jackets.” Leo moves to the bags they left by the front closet. “In the meantime, what happened when you went to the arena for the end of the year special event? You never did tell me.”

Chance snorts as he finally crosses his legs to keep warm. “I put my foot in my mouth is what happened.”

“So talk already.”

“Kelsai Adamson was in the open invitational battle royal and I did what you and Adam told me to. I looked up her career on the internet.” Chance sighs as the warmth finally starts to seep into his sock-covered feet. “I then proceeded to make myself sound like some creepy-ass stalker and she almost laughed at me when she identified me. She doesn't like me, Leo.”

Leo comes back into the living room after hanging up their new jackets and looks at Chance sitting cross-legged on the couch. “Well, that's a first... But maybe she'll get over it and you can be more than friends.”

Chance snorts again. “Three strikes rule, Leo... She doesn't like me. She just got through a nasty divorce. She's my co-worker.”

“Oh.” Leo sounds mildly disappointed as he disappears into the kitchen to call maintenance about the lack of heat in the house. He comes back a few minutes later and settles into his favorite chair. “So let's shift focus to your match on Breakdown.”

Chance immediately starts to relax. “It was total chaos out there... Polly and Yuyo both got counted out.”

“So who's the champion?”

“Polly. Titles don't change hands if there's a double countout.”

“Oh, okay. You've faced Polly before in the Trios tournament.”

“That was a three on three situation... This is one on one and it's for her SCW Television Championship.”

Leo can hear the reverence when Chance mentions the title. “So what's your game plan?”

“I think my street fighter background will come into play here... Beat her until she can't move and pin her.”

“You can't only rely on that. She's smart.”

Chance concedes the point with a tilt of his head. “That's true... But it will help. I'm not going to underestimate her. She's got guts and a fighting spirit to go with those brains.”

Leo can see something in Chance's eyes. “But...”

“But she doesn't have the hunger to win a title. She doesn't have the desire to fight her way to a championship because she already has one. She doesn't have the desperation to prove she's more than just a wet behind the ears rookie and prove she deserves to be in the SCW.”

Leo knows Chance is talking about himself. “Chance, you know what they say about learning, don't you?”

Chance knows exactly what Leo's referring to. “You learn by living and you learn from your mistakes.” His eyes start to glitter dangerously. “I've learned a lot...” He wiggles a little and shakes his head. “I'll be glad when our new furniture gets here!” A mild twisting of his torso puts him back on topic. “I've learned what to do and what not to do to get ahead in life. And if there's one thing I've learned, it's that you don't let yourself get complacent!”

Leo shifts around to get comfortable. “Depending when Mr. Gleason calls you back to work at the insurance company, I think you need to get to a gym.”

“You're right as usual these days, little brother.” Chance wiggles the toes on his right foot and sighs softly when his ankle pops. “You do realize Polly may not be coming out alone... If it's not Colleen with her, it's bound to be Aisling. They are called the Playgirls Three.”

“Maybe I should go with you... It's just over in Columbus.”

“Tell you what. You can be in the crowd at ringside.” Then Chance grins. “Right beside Liam.”

Leo's not stupid; he knows what that means. “How excited is Adam?”

“Kid in a candy store, but he's gonna be focused on what he's there for.” Which is watching Chance's back in case anyone tries anything.

“Will he be going to the ring with you?”

“I don't know if he's ready for that yet.” Chance chuckles quietly. “Hell, I don't know if I'm ready for that yet!”

“At least he'll be backstage if you need him.”

“Right... Hey Leo?”

“Yeah?”

“Thanks for not being upset.”

Leo smiles as he rubs his leg again. “You're the wrestler, not me... I'd probably get my leg broken again.” Then he grimaces. “Once is enough, thank you!”

Chance can't help laughing a little. “Is it really bothering you?”

“Yeah... It feels like it didn't heal properly. There's this dull ache deep inside the bone.”

“Call your doctor tomorrow and see if you can book an appointment for Tuesday or early Wednesday.”

“Oh, he takes walk-ins in addition to appointments.”

“Good. I'll go with you in the taxi... I hate having to call Mom and Dad for rides so often and we can afford the fare now.”

“Sounds good to me... And maybe after you come home with the title and the winner's purse we can go looking for a decent car so one of us can actually drive places.”

Chance throws his head back and laughs. “That sounds like a plan to me, little brother!” Then he reaches out and picks up his tablet so they can enjoy a little music before they start cooking supper.

[And that's where we're going to leave them for now. Polly... You have talent and skill. You have brains and courage. You have guts and a fighting spirit. But so does Chance. Bring everything you have to the ring in Columbus, Ohio... You're going to need it.]
(This RP is dedicated to Mark Briscoe.)

- - -

Soft thuds indicating something being in constant contact with something else trickle through the area. The noise seems to be coming from the far corner. There isn't much to see until the lights come on. The influx of illumination provides details that were previously unavailable. It looks to be a gym of some kind. The corner the noise is coming from has a speed bag, a hanging bag and a standing bag. There are two people in that corner and one of them is holding the hanging bag for the other. One of them says something and the other shakes their head. The speaker gets a little louder and their voice floats across the currently empty space.

“Come on, Chance, you're flying out tomorrow. You want to be ready, don't you?”

Chance Owens shakes his head again and turns away from the hanging bag to grab a towel and wipe his face. “You're being a slave driver, you know.”

The other person comes around the hanging bag to stare at Chance with their hands on their hips. “Leo asked me to come help you at the gym because his doctor doesn't want him walking around until they get the test results back.”

Chance towels the sweat out of his hair before putting the towel back on the bench. “Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you're here, but don't you think you're being a little too hard on me?”

“You haven't had the chance to take this seriously because life sucks, we both know that's the truth, so why are you half-assing it here?”

Chance looks at his companion with an irritated expression on his face. “I've been here since 8 AM and you haven't let me eat anything yet, Adam! I can't concentrate with an empty stomach!”

Adam Brock stares at him before reaching up to tug at the blond braid that got flipped over his shoulder and toss it back off his shoulder. “Well, shoot.” He rubs his hands together and sighs gustily. “I forgot you're not used to being up so early. You packed some food, didn't you?”

Chance sits on the bench beside his towel and takes a small bag out from under the bench. “Of course I did.” He unzips the bag and opens it so Adam can see the high protein, low carbohydrate foods in beside the full water bottle. “Damn cashier at the nutrition center tried to tell me I needed high fiber, low protein and zero carbohydrate foods in my diet...”

Adam shakes his head and sits beside Chance on the bench. “What'd you tell them?”

“I told her I appreciated her suggestion, but my personal trainer and my doctor both told me something else.” Chance takes out the water bottle and opens it to take a few small sips. He knows better than to drink large amounts of water after high levels of exertion. His questing hand finds a hard sided container and he brings it out with a curious look on his face. There's a post-it note on the lid. 'Your doctor said it was okay to have some high carb foods because you're just starting out. I thought I'd give you your favorite right off the bat. Don't overdo it. Love, Leo.' He opens the container and laughs out loud at the sight of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. “That brother of mine!”

Adam laughs as Chance takes the sandwich out of the container. “Liam does that to me all the time!” He takes another bag out from under the bench and opens it. “Case in point...” He takes out a small bag of trail mix with bits of chocolate in it. “Today it's trail mix. Tomorrow it'll be something else.”

Chance laughs between bites of the sandwich. “Where would we be without our brothers?”

“I'd be dead by now without mine.”

Adam told Chance all about his life up until he moved back to Philly from Little Rock before Halloween last year. “I think I'd be in jail for killing whoever hurt mine.”

Adam bypasses the trail mix for a protein bar. “What do you mean by that?”

Chance closes the empty container and puts it back in his bag before answering the question. “I used to be a street fighter.” He looks at his hands in silent contemplation for a moment. “I hadn't done it in five years until a few days ago when someone threw rocks at my mom as she was leaving the townhouse to go home.”

Adam looks at Chance in awe, the unopened protein bar still in his hands. “A street fighter... Well, this changes things!”

Chance perks a brow as he takes a few healthy swallows from his water bottle. “In what way?”

Adam turns his attention to opening the protein bar before he responds. “It means I can give you a more customized exercise routine.” He gestures at Chance's bag with one foot. “Go ahead and have something else while I fight with this damn wrapper.”

Chance sounds amused as he brings out a snack-sized bag of unsalted peanuts. “You're using your right hand on the wrapper.” Like Chance, Adam is left-handed.

Adam shakes his head at himself and switches his hands around. “I had to get used to using my right hand for everything at work while I was in Little Rock... My office manager would drop something heavy on my left hand if he saw me using it.”

“What a dick!”

“Yeah, he was... He's in jail now, thank Christ. He can't hurt anyone else.”

“That's good.” Chance opens the peanuts and shakes a few into his hand. “You know about one of my former higher ups.”

“Why do we attract assholes?”

“If you ever find the answer, let me know, okay?”

“Deal.” Adam finally gets the protein bar open so he can eat it.

The silence as they eat is a comfortable one and Chance absently tucks the empty package from the peanuts into his bag. “That's better.”

“Good.” Adam tucks the wrapper from his protein bar into his bag and takes something else out. “Did your doctor say anything about hydration?”

Chance sighs and closes his water bottle. “I haven't been able to find any Gatorade or Powerade... Every store I've gone to has been completely sold out!”

“Gatorade is better for you than Powerade.” Adam shows Chance what he's holding in one hand.

Chance looks at Adam before cautiously taking the one liter bottle of fruit punch Gatorade. “Thank you.”

“Any time, kid.” Adam's other hand is holding a one liter bottle of lemon lime Gatorade. “Take a few sips now and put the lid back on before we get back to it.”

“You don't have to tell me twice!” Chance carefully opens the bottle and swallows three mouthfuls of Gatorade before putting the lid back on. “Leo's pretty bummed about being told not to walk around... I promised him the other ringside seat.”

Adam just grins. “I've already figured out a way to get him there and back without having to do a lot of walking.”

“You have?”

“Jericho's gate software.” Jericho is a computer genius and a programming mastermind. His network of AI computers has revolutionized industries all over the world.

“Now how could I forget about that? You only told me about it last week!”

“You've had a lot on your mind.”

“I know... But still.”

Adam knows what Chance is getting at. “Been there, kid. Try not to beat yourself up over it.”

Chance smiles a little. “I'll do my best.” He rubs his hands together before giving them a good shake and taking something else out of his bag. “These should help my hands not get so sore.” And he puts on the black fighter's gloves he wound up using the day he bought them.

Adam grins again. “Good. Whenever you're ready.”

Chance laughs as he stands up. “That's my secret, Adam...” He turns toward the hanging bag again. “I'm always ready.”

Adam laughs and shakes his head as he stands up and follows Chance back to the hanging bag. “You're a smartass, you know that?”

Chance's grin is downright cheeky. “People say it's my best feature.” Of course, he tones it down at work.

Adam takes up his position behind the hanging bag again. “You remind me of someone.”

“Yeah? Who would that be?”

Adam looks around the bag at Chance and smiles. “You remind me of me when I was your age.”

“Wow... Really?”

“Really.” He pulls back behind the bag again. “That's why I decided to be your mentor. You have the potential to become one of the greatest wrestlers this world has ever seen.”

Chance is sincerely touched by Adam's declaration. “Thank you...”

“You're welcome. Now let's get back to it, shall we? And show me that caged beast you have inside!” He's referring to the street fighter Chance once was.

“Maybe a little... I'm not fighting to stay alive here.”

“We'll work on the details later. Now come on, we're burning daylight here!”

Chance can't help laughing as he takes a few practice swings at the bag before throwing punches in earnest. “What did Lauren say when she found out you and Liam were going to be in Columbus with me and Leo?”

Lauren is Liam's wife and they've been married for about twenty years. “She's thrilled. Says it'll be good for the two of us to get out and enjoy ourselves.”

“Mom said the same thing when I told her I was bringing Leo.” Chance shakes his head and adjusts his stance a little. “Stupid doctor telling him he can't walk around...”

“Yeah, I'm not happy about that either. Why can't he use a cane or crutches?”

“I really wish I knew.” Chance settles into a rhythm and focuses on what he's doing. People start coming into the gym at that point, but they see him and Adam in the corner and give them their space.

- - -

Adam is holding Chance up as they come out of the gym because the younger man is laughing hysterically. “Good thing they waited until we were finished before they started cracking jokes, huh?”

Chance wipes a tear of mirth from his eye. “Definitely.” He takes his duffel bag from Adam and stretches. “I don't know about you, but I could use a hearty meal after all that.” He's gone through most of the food he brought and the Gatorade bottle is half empty.

“Yeah, I could go with a good meal too... Come on, my treat.”

Chance smiles as he looks around. “Hey, we're in luck! There's a Denny's across the street!”

Adam laughs and slings one arm around Chance's neck before they find the nearest intersection so they can safely cross the street. “Lot of meals at Denny's when I was traveling. That was literally all I could afford at first.”

“Denny's is a treat for me and Leo.” Chance finds himself unusually hesitant at the intersection and holds out one arm to stop Adam from crossing.

“What are you doing? We have the green light.”

“I suddenly feel like we shouldn't cross the street.” Almost immediately after he says that, there's a horrific crashing sound on the left side of the intersection. The vehicle at the front of the waiting line is shoved violently out into the street and spins around so it's facing the way it came.

Adam stares in shock before he starts digging for his cell phone so he can call 911. “Those instincts of yours are really going to come in handy in the ring, you know!”

Chance's hand keeps Adam's phone in his pocket. “Someone else is already calling them.” There are, in fact, about half a dozen people using their cell phones. He sounds eerily calm, almost serene.

Adam looks at Chance and recognizes the look in his eyes. “It looks like we have something else in common, kid... Come on, let's go the other way.”

Chance doesn't hesitate at going back the way they came. If the police want to talk to them about the collision, they know how to find him. “What's that you were saying about my instincts?”

Adam is only too happy to talk about something mundane and predictable. “I was saying your instincts will make you unstoppable in the ring if you listen to them.”

“Starting this week with my match against Polly Playtime.”

“Right. You're going to need them.”

Chance has been watching Polly's previous matches in preparation for their match in Columbus. “Yeah, I am. She won't be a pushover.” Then he grins. “I won't be either, though.”

“That's the spirit!” Adam spots a sandwich shop and nudges Chance that way. “Have you been doing any thinking about your move list?”

Chance knows that's been a sore spot with Leo and Liam alike. “I think I have it all figured out. Our mutual acquaintance suggested a good submission finisher.” He opens the door and holds it open for Adam.

Adam steps through with a smile. “What'd he suggest?”

Chance spots an empty table and points Adam in that direction. “Guillotine choke.”

Adam clears a path to the table and can hear Chance right behind him. “Ah yes, an old favorite of submission-based wrestlers around the world.”

Chance sits in one of the chairs and puts his duffel bag on the one to his left. “So how come you never used it?”

Adam grins after sitting down. “I was a pure high flyer, kid.”

“You were?”

“Yup. Someone called me an aerial assault artist and I liked the term.” Then he sits forward after putting his duffel bag on the other empty chair. “You're a brawler and a submissionist. Don't be afraid to play to your strengths.”

“Especially against someone as wily and agile as Polly Playtime.”

“Right.” Then Adam asks the question that's been on his mind since just before they left the gym. “How are your incision sites?”

Chance knows why he's asking. “They're fine. And I don't feel any unusual soreness from my workout in the gym.”

“Good.” Adam stands up again. “Anything you'd rather not eat?”

“No olives, peppers or raw onions.” Then Chance grimaces and rubs his stomach. “And no turkey.”

“Got it... Back as soon as I can.” There's a bit of a line.

“No rush, man. You got your wallet?”

Adam pats his jacket. “I never leave home without it.” Then he turns around and takes his spot in line.

Chance shakes his head with a smile. “Polly Playtime, you're in for a world of hurt come Breakdown... Do you really have what it takes to keep your title? I don't think you do. You've never encountered someone like me before.” He looks around to make sure nobody's giving him funny looks before he continues. “You see, up until now, you've had it easy. The same old predictable opponents and you've been able to anticipate them and take advantage of their rhythms and routines. You can't do that with me. There's nothing in your bag of tricks that will help you... That title is coming home with me.”

Someone passes by the table at that particular moment and rolls their eyes. “It figures there'd be a deluded freak in here today... Where's your imaginary friend?”

Chance keeps his voice neutral. “He's in line to buy sandwiches.”

“Yeah, sure.” And they keep going without bothering to look around.

Chance shakes his head and waits for them to sit with someone who was obviously waiting for them. “Oh to be clueless and oblivious to the world.” He shakes it off and gets back on topic. “Now as I was saying, Polly... All your other opponents have been close to your size, which makes it easier for you to maneuver around them. Other than the Trios tournaments, have you ever wrestled someone my size? I don't think you have. Bring every trick and scheme you have, but it won't matter. You have something I want, Polly... You have the SCW Television Championship. And when we meet on Breakdown, you're going to experience something you've never dealt with before. You're going toe to toe with someone who's bigger and stronger than you... And you're going to lose. Protest all you want, that's how it's going to be.” A wicked smirk flits across his face. “If you want to get anywhere, you have to go through me.”

Adam comes back with their sandwiches and puts Chance's on the table in front of him. “Did you get any prep talk in?”

“Yeah, I did, actually... In spite of someone calling me a deluded freak while I was waiting for you.”

“That's good to know. Any expressions of doubt?”

Chance tugs the sandwich a little closer with a smile. “No sir.”

“Good.” Adam leans forward again. “It's okay to be unsure, but you can't let yourself think you won't get anywhere... If all you're doing is thinking you're going to lose because you're not good at what you're doing, you will lose. The mind is a very powerful thing, Chance.”

“I know it is. That's why I'm thinking positively. You know... I just realized something.”

“What's that?”

“Wrestling and street fighting aren't all that different... Both activities have you playing to win, as the saying goes. The payoff with wrestling is a lot better, though.”

Adam shakes his head and laughs. “It sure is, kid.” Then he gets serious. “I meant it when I told you to show me the caged beast you have inside.”

Chance leans forward a little. “I will... You'll see him on Breakdown. Polly Playtime doesn't stand a chance. And if anyone tries to get involved, I'll take them out too! That title is mine!”

“That's more like it!” Adam sits up a little so they can eat their sandwiches. He can see a dangerous gleam in Chance's eyes and it makes him happy.

[And that's where we're going to leave them today. They've said all there is to be said, so there's really nothing more to add. Good luck in Columbus, Polly. You're going to need it.]