Supreme Championship Wrestling

Full Version: Selena Frost vs. Bree Lancaster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
SCW United States Championship
Selena Frost vs. Bree Lancaster

2 RP Limit for singles matches
Deadline: Noon ET Tuesday, December 4, 2018
OOC: All appearances with approval. Big scene here that's been a long time coming, huge turning point for Bree. Part 1 of 2. There is a date in the promo but saying here as well, it was filmed Thursday morning sometime. Enjoy!
------------------------

Breakdown 12-5-18 #1
OOC: The CD here takes place a few days before the Halloween episode of Breakdown. Promo takes place late in the week after Bound by Blood. In two parts due to length.

I of the Storm

“Two Places At Once”

Selena felt the water – ice-cold as it was flowing off her soaked face and especially the long strands of her hair - as she broke through its surface and took in a deep breath. She didn't bother to check the digital clock that was installed on the wall on the opposite side of the room. She had stopped testing herself on how long she could hold her breath under water after the third or fourth time – her brain becoming too smart to be so easily distracted – forcing the Snow Queen to simply keep ducking her head under the water and letting the freezing temperatures surround her.

Taking a deep breath, her skin and hair soaked from her bath, the platinum-blonde kept her eyes closed as she leaned against the porcelain side of the tub. She could still feel several of the dozens and dozens of icecubes that filled her ice bath, the pieces of frozen water bobbing and floating their way without a care.

Selena envied their care-free existence. 

The young woman sighed. Life just seemed to want to keep throwing obstacles her way, no matter how many times she kept praying for a small break just so she could treasure the life she had. She had taken her precious daughter, Elsianna, to her home in Nome, Alaska – shown her oldest child the world Selena had grown up in – even if Elsianna knew part of it from the orphanage. And Selena had felt, after all of that, that the two of them had made some very amazing headway in Elsianna's issues with Aaron Stanton and his bullying. She certainly felt closer to her daughter after sharing how much the two of them had in common. She was even excited for the new touring Breakdowns that would be happening next week! She was either going to go to Australia and Africa or tour Europe. Personally, Selena really had no preference. If Deanna was allowed to go with her, then of course Selena would have wanted Europe so the two of them could visit one of the remote, country castles in Germany – where they had spent the most beautiful time during their honeymoon. 

But it had been too much over-thinking of the future that had made Selena realize her grave mistake. She had failed to remember that Breakdown... the show that ALWAYS aired live on Wednesday... fell on the same day as Halloween...

Squeezing her eyes shut even tighter – though that didn't seem possible (despite the Snow Queen trying her damnedest to do so), the pale-skinned woman reached up, her hands breaking the water's surface to splash cold water across her face and run through her hair, making it impossible to see the tears that flowed from her eyes. They were much warmer than the cold water, though, and Selena could easily feel that they were still there.

”I'm sorry, snowflake-”
“What do you mean, mommy? You said-”
“I know... I just... I didn't know about work...”
“But... you promised...”
“I know I did...but I...”
“You said 'don't make promises you can't keep'.”

All that work: the travelling to Nome, the confiding, the fears she had felt and overcome for her daughter and their bond – now back on thin ice because of her... again. And again, while Sirus continued to haunt a part of the Snow Queen's mind, Elsianna had, once more, taken over - the young child's heartbreak, running up the stairs to her room, tears in her eyes and unable to understand why her mommy had broken such a promise, replaying in Selena's head over and over again as she soaked in the tub within her “Believe It” tour bus, the luxury bus cruising down the highway towards Oklahoma City for the Halloween-episode of Breakdown. Towards Selena's job... as the 'Face of SCW'...

Again, to try and at least stall the thoughts, Selena dropped her head under the water, feeling the cold water fill her ears and seep into her scalp. She wanted to either freeze into the ice-cubes, becoming care-free and floating as they were, or simple dissolve into the water. Either way would be a beautiful way to go.

A coward's way to go... her mind mocked in the familiar voice of Sirus. Selena refused to open her eyes. She knew she would see Sirus smirking at her, the phantom floating above her just a few centimetres above her. You'd just happily abandon your family? Like you are now?

With a fierce push, Selena sat up, her toned abdominal-muscles springing her up into a sitting position amidst the cold water and pieces of ice. “I'm NOT abandoning them.” she whispered harshly with spurts of water flowing over and into her mouth to be sprayed out a little as mist - even though she knew that, unless she screamed with all she had, no one would hear her. The only person on the bus besides her was Eric, her trusting chauffeur - and the older man was on the other side of the luxury-bus, driving it towards Oklahoma City. Slowly, the Snow Queen opened her eyes, immediately seeing the dark-blue tiles on the wall, the yellow-with-white-tinge tiles on the floor – but no sign of Sirus. 

Despite this, Selena continued to speak. “I made a mistake.” she admitted. “I should have remembered. Should have planned ahead. Should have booked it off or something.”

Booked off showing up for an SCW show? The great Selena Frost? The Face of SCW?

The platinum-blonde took a deep breath, her hand hanging low, causing more of the soft-white tendrils of her hair to fall into the water, some sinking, others floating along the surface. Whenever she had heard that nickname before from the likes of Mr. Sharper, Mr. Winters, even her friend Jessica Winters – it made her feel warm, honoured, as if it was one of the greatest gifts SCW had bestowed upon her. And it was a gift to Selena. Representing the company – that feeling of importance – it honestly baffled her how some people could buy their way out of matches or simply walk out during shows – didn't they respect the company more than that?

Still, to be called such a thing – The Face of SCW - to be seen as different in a good way and not because she was “a freak” or “the crazy miner's daughter”...

She didn't feel that warmth hearing the nickname from Sirus. It sounded filthy coming from her. It felt like chains being wrapped around Selena's neck, around her ankles and around her wrists. It felt like an obligation – like going to work – something she had never felt towards SCW. Not in nearly five years. 

You're not even in a match... the voice teased. Not even booked and you are going there anyways... Wonder what Elsa would think if she knew that...

Her frustration, thanks to that statement, warped quickly into anger and, before the Snow Queen realized what she was doing, she had pushed herself out of the tub and was standing on the floor, cold water dripping off her naked form and forming a large puddle around her feet on the tiles. Her head twisted left and right around the bathroom but there was no sign of Sirus – a fact that Selena wasn't sure whether to be grateful for or frustrated about.

She wanted to argue with the spectre – face to face – like she would against opponents in SCW.

But she is in my head...

Spurred on by that thought, the platinum-blonde, still dripping water, made her way carefully (taking slow steps so as not to slip on the wet floor of the moving bus) across the room until she was standing by the large sink, the vanity mirror secured on the wall above it. It was her own reflection, the soaked Snow Queen, that Selena fixed her sapphire gaze upon.

“Listen to me.” she ordered, her tone sharp and harsh – one she had been using rather often when dealing with Giovanni Aries. “I know you're in there.”. Reaching up with her right hand, she rapped a pale fist into her temple a few times, as if knocking on a door. “You listening?” she hissed. “You're not going to get me to blame SCW for this. This is my fault. I made the mistake. I forgot. If I had called and told them in advance, they would have given me the night off. I didn't – it's my fault. Hear me?”

There was no answer – of course not. Sirus only popped up to make things worse. She had already done that with her earlier words, and Selena didn't have a bottle of Crown Royal stashed away like she usually did to deal with her if she did. 

Taking a deep breath and releasing it in a huff, Selena finally cast her eyes down, seeing all the water on the floor. “I...better clean this up.” she said to no one in particular before turning on the spot and reaching to open the closet behind her. There were racks of towels that met her gaze. Some dark red, some white, some purple and a lot of navy blue. Taking a purple one, Selena wrapped it around her lithe frame before taking a white one from a lower shelf. Unfolding it, she dropped the white towel on the floor and, using her feet, she waddle/slid along the wet surface, using the floor towel to mop up the water. When that task was completed, she used the purple towel to dry herself off, her hair first, followed by the rest of her.

The rest of her tasks were completed on automatic pilot: Drain the tub, brush and braid her hair, get dressed – it wasn't until Selena had slid on her blue jeans and her Frost-Hoodie over herself that she broke out of her trance. She was still thinking about Elisanna. Hard not to.

Reaching her hand out, Selena opened the door to the lounge section of the bus (the actual length of it) and walked the distance needed until she had collapsed onto the passenger seat beside the driver, one leg swung over the other as both rested on the armrest. Eric saw her before she saw him, the broad, tall man in his light-blue uniform greeting Selena with a warm smile as he drove the bus. “Afternoon, Selena. Enjoy your nap?”

“Not really.” Selena sighed, reaching up to rub her temples. “How long have we been driving?”
“We're about four hours into the trip.” Eric replied, causing Selena to jerk her head towards the windows in front of her. She caught the sight of the sun already beginning to set. Breakdown was in two days, giving them plenty of time to travel the twenty-one hours needed from Manhattan to Oklahoma. 

“The second you feel tired.” Selena started but Eric gently cut her off.
“I'll pull over to either a 24-hour parking space or one of the pit stops and sleep on the couch.”

The platinum-blonde could hear the humour in his automatic response, The two had shared that pair of lines – call and response - over and over again whenever they travelled for long periods of time. The couch doubled as a futon – which she had no problem having Eric use, along with the spare bathroom in the kitchen area. The only place the driver wasn't permitted to be was the back room, where Selena's bed and bathroom were located. It was her quiet place and allowed her peace – as much as someone with as troubled a mind as Selena's could get, anyway.

“You alright?” came the concerned voice. “You seem troubled.”

She almost had to laugh at his wonderful timing. Eric was not a close friend like Jean, Zoe or Jessica were to Selena. Nor was he a close work-friend as Kelcey or Kennedy had become to the Snow Queen. But, even so, he was a good man and had been very kind and caring to her and her family. When Vixen Cain had stolen the bus and kidnapped her, her daughter, and Zoe – Eric had been the one that followed them in another car. When Angelica Jones had bashed Selena's back, causing her muscles to bruise and become swollen, resulting in temporary paralysis of her legs, Eric had carried her to the hospital.

Years of working for Selena – the man had grown to care for the family. And he was not afraid of expressing that care with such questions.

“I am troubled.” Selena admitted. “It's this whole Halloween episode of Breakdown.”
“Don't want to work it?”
“No...I mean, yes- no, I mean no. I DO want to work it.” Selena tried to explain. “I love working with SCW – you don't have kids, Eric. So, it's hard to explain.”
“What's hard to explain that you want to take your kids out trick-or-treating and because of work, you can't?”

Selena opened her mouth to respond but closed it immediately when no sound would come out. Put that way, it did seem easy to explain. In fact, Eric's summary was exactly what her issue was. Black and white: that was it. She wanted to take her daughter trick-or-treating but she had obligations at work.

“You know...” the low timbre of Eric's voice pulled her back to present-reality. “When I was a kid, my mom really couldn't take me out for Halloween.”
“She couldn't?”
“Nah.” he answered. “Didn't have a dad, and she worked nights at the hospital. Usually, she was so tired working twelve-hour shifts that she barely had time for anything but work. But she had me and my sister to take care of, so she did what she had to do.”

For a moment, Selena turned her head to regard the built man. “Did you... did you ever resent her for it? That she wasn't there to take you out trick-or-treating?”. Her breath slowed, surprising herself that she was actually waiting on an answer with such baited breath.

The answer wasn't right away, Eric taking a moment to spin the large, driver's wheel to turn the bus onto the passing lane so he could speed past a red Ferrari and a green Montana. Selena spied the licence plate of the Montana – recognizing the Canadian flag on it. 

“I think...” Eric recaptured Selena's attention again, the young woman turning her head to focus back on her driver. “I think that I resented my father far more than I resented her. Because if he hadn't left the family, my mom wouldn't have had to work all those hours, ya know?”

Selena nodded. Actually, she did know. More than Eric realized.

“My father use to take me trick-or-treating when I was younger.” she confessed in an almost whisper. “He was... really enthusiastic about Halloween. That and Christmas.”
“That where you get it from?” Eric teased. 
“I'm... different.” Selena shrugged.
“So the lights that you put up in this bus every year?”
“Okay...yes, but that's for my own season. My traditions are not Christmas – it doesn't matter.” she held up her hand and shook her head. It was still October. She did not want to think about the wonders of her personal holiday – Yuletide – or the “Christmas Curse” that always seemed to follow her around each year. True, she was more confident about it than last year, thanks to Deanna, but it was all a month away. 

Halloween was the concern right now.

“Anyway, after my father disappeared, the hardest part was the first year – doing things by myself that I had normally done with him. Halloween was one of them – actually, the first one of them.” she finished.
“How old were you?” Eric asked.
“Eleven. A month later, I became the Snow Queen.”
Slowly, Eric nodded his head. “Isn't eleven a bit too old to be trick-or-treating?”

The Snow Queen scoffed at the idea. “Eric, you realize that I have a costume in the back and we are going to Breakdown, where several people older than me will be in costumes, right?”
“Question withdrawn.” he shrugged.
“Damn right it's withdrawn.” Selena said under her breath. “Too old for costumes and fun – crazy.”
“So...” the driver beside her asked, his hands dancing a little as he patted out a rhythm on the steering wheel. “How was that first Halloween sans papa?”

It took a moment for Selena to answer, the young woman turning her head to gaze out, once again, upon the evening sky and the sun setting – her mind going back to that night. “One of the worst nights in my life.” she finally answered. “All I wanted was for him to appear in front of me. I even...I even thought I could talk to his ghost.”

She could feel a tear or two slide down her cheek as she remembered. Quickly, she swiped them away with the knuckle of her hand. “I don't blame him for it, but I would have given anything to have had them there. I think part of me still does.”

There was a moment of silence between the two as the bus travelled down the highway, both people (driver and queen) too lost in thought to say anything. Until, as if in mental unison.

“So, when do you want me to pull over and take you back to Manhattan?” Eric asked.
“Right now.” Selena huffed in agitation as she pushed herself out of her seat. “What the hell was I thinking?” she asked, more to herself. “I've got a great wife, wonderful children – I promised Deanna and I myself that I wouldn't put them through what I went through! And here I am doing that! Odin dammit!” she half-huffed, half-screamed as she paced around the lounge section.

“Calm down.” Eric offered. “We've got to refuel the bus anyway. So, you call work and tell them what's going on and we'll go from there.”
“You think they'll be mad?” Selena asked, stopping in her tracks.
“Oh, I'm sure they will be. But...” Eric's voice trailed off, forcing Selena to fill in the blanks.

Which she managed to do quite easily. SCW would be upset – and Selena would apologize and do whatever she needed to to make up for it – but a mad SCW wasn't the same as a heartbroken Elsianna. SCW's board – Mr. D. (Selena was sure) wouldn't cry tears or run into their office if she couldn't make one show...

She suddenly felt the shift in movement as the bus turned into the pit-stop Eric had mentioned, prompting the Snow Queen to march back into her bedroom and scoop up her phone. Quickly, she unlocked it and punched in the first six numbers. O. would surely understand – she had no match, there was nothing for her to do in terms of her goal for the United States title, Bree Lancaster did not even seeing her as a threat – having not mentioned the Snow Queen since Fatal Fortunes. The only thing that this Breakdown was was the fallout from Under Attack, and all the attention for that deserved to be on Owen Cruze for beating her and...

Selena's hand froze, preventing her from pushing the call button, a pair of names on her mind. 

Owen...
Giovanni...

She felt the phone slip out of her hand and land on the mattress of her blanket-covered bed before she, herself, sat down beside it. Giovanni... the man – if Selena could really call him that – had returned from his self-induced injury and viciously attacked Owen after their match. A sigh of sadness came from Selena, though she barely heard it. She had been walking up the ramp to give Owen his due time to bask in the celebrations when she had heard multiple fans screaming for her to 'turn around'. Their tones had been frantic, urgent, but Selena had chalked that up to them wanting her to go out on a higher note or something – maybe some people that were egging for her to turn heel and do something mean or bad. She wasn't sure, but she refused to take away Owen's victory. It wasn't until she was behind the curtain and saw the tech televisions, and the bastard that was in the ring with Owen that she immediately ran out and back down to the ring as fast as her tired legs could propel her.

Not fast enough... came the mocking voice of Sirus.

But it was true. She had been too late. There, in the ring, she saw Owen, who should have been standing there with his arms raised, a crumpled mess on the mat. There was smoke all around them, thanks to some kind of smoke-bomb by Giovanni – who had chosen the hit and run when he had seen Selena. Coward... she thought bitterly, one thought repeating itself again.

She had been too late.

If she had listened to the fans, or run faster, or stayed at ringside a bit longer – there were SO many different ways it could have gone down. It had been her that had accepted Owen Cruze's challenge and her that had left him wide open – exhausted and defenceless – in that ring. 

You're supposed to protect people from folks like Giovanni! Like the D. family... like the officials... like Owen...

She was already tired of the social commentary from Sirus, but the ghost didn't seem to care much – now that it had something to torment Selena with. 

Like me...

Pale hands tightened into fists as they rested against her legs, thoughts bombarding her.

And what if you decide to go home? What if Giovanni decides to strike again? What if you aren't there to protect Owen Cruze? The questions sparked that image of the young boy – still a teenager, really – lying there in that ring amidst the smoke. What will Giovanni do? What if Owen doesn't agree with him?

A shuttered breath escaped Selena's frame. Giovanni had spoken about “awakening” Owen or some nonsense like that. Despite it being just that, the Snow Queen had been around SCW long enough to know what kind of turn Giovanni was hinting at. Hell, SCW was still reeling from the betrayal of Syren for the sake of becoming the World Champion earlier this year – the platinum-blonde still not sure if they had recovered completely from it. Was that what Giovanni was planning? Trying to get a follower for his 'Wonderland' against Mr. D., whom Giovanni clearly still believed was the fabled 'Lizard King'? And if it was: what if Owen refused to join him?

Another shudder came from the young woman. There was no second-guessing what Giovanni would do. He had tried to defeat Selena at Apocalypse, thus “exposing how weak the Lizard King and his army was” compared to him and when that had failed, he had tried a different tactic – trying to end Selena's career – possibly her life.

There was no wondering. If Owen refused Giovanni, and Selena had no doubt that he would – Giovanni would not hesitate to take down the boy.

So... either you break your daughter's heart or you risk a young boy's career, perhaps his life. Sirus' voice roared in laughter and dark humour. Decisions...Decisions...

“Shut up! Shut up! SHUT UP!” came the roar of Selena's voice, the room ringing slightly from her scream before settling into silence. The silence, it turns out, hurt more than Sirus' mocking.

She didn't know what to do. She was damned one way and damned another. Maybe Owen wouldn't be harmed. Maybe SCW would be looking out for him. Maybe Elsianna would get over this. Maybe she would, eventually, understand.

But hadn't that happened before? With Rachael Tatum Lee? And the Coalition? Selena shook her head at the memory. She had dealt with Red Rayne during the Snow Queen's first year in SCW, fought the fight and that should have been that. Instead, the Coalition had struck, Rachel stringing Christy Matthews upside down and leaving her broken and beaten down as she hung there on Breakdown. Rather than bring the fight forward, several superstars had blamed Selena – who had not known about it before it was too late. Words like “traitor” and “selfish” from the likes of Autumn Valentine and others swirled around the locker-room, simply because Selena had not known.

And now? She still didn't know what could happen, but this time was different. She was experienced – not the naive girl that was just trying to earn a living for her snow-child. She was a woman now – with a family, a wife, and almost five years of experience with the federation, as well as moonlighting in those five for various other federations like IWC or ULW. She KNEW what the possibilities were now, and they screamed problems for Owen if she wasn't there!

But Elisanna...her baby...

There was no cold water to hide her tears this time. They just fell readily down her cheeks and she could hear the soft sound they made when they landed on the blanket – like raindrops. Quietly, she picked up her phone again, unlocking it once more, but instead of calling work, she dialed the familiar number of her home in Manhattan. It did not take many rings for the phone to pick up.

“Hello?” came the familiar voice.
“Tell me to come home.” Selena ordered.
“Selena?” of course her beloved wife would be confused by that greeting.
“I need you to tell me to come home, Deanna.” Selena stated, her voice shaking. “I'm... I'm not a leader. I can't make this decision on my own... I'm just... I'm just a fighter... just a...”

“Slow down- Selena-” Deanna tried in-between her wife's words. “Selena, stop!” that one got through and the Snow Queen was silent. “What decision are you talking about?”

“If I go to work, I break Elsianna's heart. And if I don't go, then what if Giovanni does something to hurt Owen again? What if he hurts him? Puts him on the shelf like he tried to do to me... it will be my fault!”

There was silence on the other line, no response coming from the younger Frost. For a moment, because of its length, Selena actually was worried that the line had gone dead. “De...Deanna?” she tried.

“I'm still here.” came the quiet reply. “I just...I just have no idea.”
The platinum-blonde felt her heart sink at those words. “None?” she asked weakly.

“No.” Selena could hear the sadness in her wife's voice. “Normally, I'd say 'go to work. Look out for the kid. But...” the redhead hesitated, almost not wanting to say what came out next – not wanting to burden her wife with it. “But Elsianna stayed in her room all day – crying.”

Selena held her free hand up to her eyes, pressing the palm into the sockets to try and stop the tears. “All day?” her voice shook as sobs threatened to take over her as well.

“I tried to talk to her so many times, but she just couldn't settle down. She needs you.” Deanna stated.

Of course she does... Selena's own mind – in her own voice – stated bitterly. “Well, that's just...” a sigh of pure frustration. “Perfect...” 

“Do you want to come home?” Deanna asked. “Maybe nothing will happen. And Owen proved he can look after himself.”
“He can look after himself against someone like me... but against someone like Regan?”

Selena shook her head. She had watched her former best friend humiliate the young boy by elbow-dropping him after their match. Against someone with good form, Owen would be fine. Against someone that didn't care? Like Giovanni? “Everything is screaming at me that he's in danger.”

“Then go. Look after him. Make sure he's safe.” Deanna implored.
“But then I break Elsianna's heart!” Selena gripped her hair with her free hand.
“You can't do both, Selena.” Deanna stated – her frustration clear as well. “You don't trust Owen or SCW right now, that's clear, but you want to spare your daughter disappointment. Sooner or later, both are going to happen!”

“What are you talking about?” Selena asked, sitting back up.
“Whether you like it or not-” Deanna explained pointedly. “A day will come where you can't be there for SCW. Or for Owen. Or for someone. You're not going to be able to save them or help them or protect them. And the same is true here. Sooner or later, you will come up short somewhere. You're going to hurt someone, even if you don't mean to. Elsianna, Amiliah, David, me?”

Selena's spine stiffened, her mind going to the safe in her “SCW-trophy” room that always now contained a bottle of Crown Royal. 

“I'll disappoint them. I'll let them down. Even if I don't want to and don't ever mean to. That's...that's life...” Deanna finished.
“How?” Selena asked. “How can you think that?”
“Because I'm not perfect, Selena. Nobody is. Hell, I'm six years younger than you and even I know that!”

Selena was quiet, letting the words sink in. “Deanna... I can't let this be a mistake. I can't do that to Elsianna or to Owen. I can't shake this feeling he's in danger and I can't let Elsianna go through what I did...”

“Well, unless you can....” Deanna's voice dropped off suddenly, alarming the Snow Queen.
“Deanna?”
“Sssh.” hushed the redhead. “I'm actually considering a stupid idea.”
Selena's eyes widened. “Stupid ideas are better than no ideas! Think, De, think!” 

She didn't care how stupid was. From where she was sitting, she had no idea what to do. Deanna was right. Selena could take punishment for SCW. Monitors to the head, fractured ribs. She could be patient, waiting longer than most superstars for a chance a championship. She could take doubters and haters – but she couldn't be in two places at once. It was beyond impossible. Even for people as arrogant as Regan, Sienna, Bree and Giovanni.

“Alright...” came the voice of her wife once more. “This is going to sound crazy, but... I've got an idea...”

For fifteen minutes, Selena listened, moving only when she heard Eric returning from refilling the bus with gasoline. Upon hearing the door open, she had marched to his side, spying the large sub-sandwixh he had had curled under his arm. He gave her a quizzical look, prompting the Snow Queen to hold up one finger – a request to wait a moment. The gesture earned a nod from her chauffeur.

“I’ll just pull this into a parking space.” He whispered.

Selena gave a nod before disappearing back into her room, speaking when only absolutely necessary, as her wife continued speaking. It wasn’t until there was complete silence on the other end, followed by a slow “Well?” from her beloved that Selena spoke, taking a deep breath through her nose before doing so. 

“It IS a stupid idea.” She sighed, but her tone was not condescending. “Only you would think of something like that!”
“But... it could work...”
“The first part yes, but everyone else, the convincing-“
“I’ll handle it.” 

The tone in Deanna’s voice, often warm, loving and kind, was now firm and resolved. “What have we got to lose?” she asked at last.

And, in truth, Selena didn’t really have an answer. Yes, Deanna’s plan held issues if they got caught, but still... if it gave Elsianna her Halloween. 

“Are you sure? Deanna, I’m being serious-“
“Minx.” Again, that tone, and using Selena’s pet name. “I won’t let you down.”
“You...” Selena sighed, her eyes fluttering closed, every fibre of her being wishing she was back home to be held and kissed by her wife. “You never have.” She finished with a whisper, “I love you.”
“I love you.” Deanna replied. “You sure you can get back here?”
“Compared to you-“ Selena scoffed. “I’ve got the easier job!”
“Still...”
“I promise, Deanna. I truly, with everything I am, promise.”

There was a pause but Selena could definitely hear her wife take a deep breath. “Okay- Go do your thing. Ill go make sure Elsa is asleep. I’ve got phone calls to make.”
“Use my office space downstairs.” Urged the Snow Queen. 

Deanna added a “Got it.” Reply before the line went dead. Lowering the phone down to her side, Selena, for the briefest of moments, shaking her head, mentally remarked on the sheer lunacy of their plan. She had no idea how her beautiful redhead was going to figure this out, but what other choice did she have but to trust her?

Like you can trust her with your little “ghost” problem and “solution” for said problem?

She wasn’t sure if that was her asking the question or if it had been Sirus,  but she still dismissed it. It wasn’t worth thinking about right now. She would deal with that confrontation, inevitable as it was, when she had solved it for herself. First, Sirus had to go. Selena just needed to find a way to get rid of her – just like she had the other ghosts in her life that had haunted her.

First things first... Selena gave her head a quick jerk of a shake as if to emphasize the point. One thing at a time – she reminded herself as she marched back out of her room, seeing Eric sitting on the hall couch, finishing up his sub. Seeing his employer approach him, however, the broad man merely tilted his head, his brown hair shifting a little with the movement.

“We’re going to Breakdown. “ came the Snow Queen’s report, although it was easy to imagine the driver took it more as an order. Still, though he gave a nod of his head and stood up, stuffing the last bit of sandwich in his mouth, he did question.
“What about-“

Selena wasn’t sure whether to laugh or be disgusted by Eric’s mouth full of meatballs but she quickly decided she didn’t want to be either right now, which was why she interrupted him so quickly. “Believe it or not, Deanna has a plan.” She replied simply.

“A good plan?” Eric asked. 
Selena merely shrugged at first. “Beats where I was  I didn’t even have a plan.” She admitted.
“Okay, Breakdown. Then what?” Eric asked as hole made his way to the drivers seat and started up the  us.
‘Then you make your way back to Manhattan without me.”
“Wi-Without you?”  the man was clearly caught off-guard. 
The Snow Queen merely nodded. “I’m going to need to take a plane back.” She explained, her fingers already flying across her phone screen, looking up prices and travel companies.

“I can drive you –“ Eric assured. “I can-“
“Eric...”

Thank the gods the man had not started driving, because he chose to turn his head then, his eyes catching the determined, sapphire glare as Selena gazed out the front window. 

“I’m not taking any chances. I need to be home faster than 21 hours.”
“But if there are no planes available? If you get stuck?”

Eric instantly regretted asking those questions as the steely glare was now fixed on him.

“I will make it.” Selena vowed. “I gave my word.”

And hell would freeze over before she broke it again...

[A few days later...]

“Elsianna?” Deanna called out as she moved around the room. She had just finished feeding baby Amiliah and was now cradling the little redhead in her arms, the child content to fall asleep in her mother's embrace. When no reply came to Deanna's call, the young woman quickly ran a checklist through her mind of every room in the house.

Bedrooms
Living rooms
Selena's office
Her secret room
Did I miss one?

No, she was certain she hadn't. She had triple – No! Quadruple-checked! – everything! Even David didn't notice anything – even if he was too young to really understand, but dammit, Deanna was ready to count that as a win for her! “Elsa?” she called again, making her way around the mudroom of her Manhattan home and up the flight of stairs towards the bedrooms. “Are you getting into your costume? It's almost time to go!” 

Turning her head, Deanna saw the grandfather clock, the timekeeper ticking away the seconds. We're running out of time... the thought irked away at her mind, sending prickles of irritation against the nape of her neck. With Amiliah in her arms, however, she could not possibly scratch it. The clock was one of the few truthful things in the house to the redhead – reminding her that it was now 7:12pm.

Taking a deep breath, she continued up the flight of stairs, calling out to her oldest daughter. Amiliah, sleeping like her redheaded mother did, was out like a log and no real noise save a damn earthquake would wake her. Once more, Deanna called out Elsianna's name and was rewarded when a bark was her response – coming from atop the stairs she now climbed.

Thank you, Oberon. Deanna smiled in triumph as she finished ascending the stairs until she stood outside Elsianna's room. She knew that there were two people that would always be around Elsianna whenever she was inside the house. The first being the child in her arms (Elsianna being the loving, protective big sister to Amiliah) and the other being the lovable husky pup that kept Elsianna company almost as much as her favourite toy-soldier, Sir Crackshell. 

For the briefest of moments, the young Mrs. Frost wondered how she could open the door while holding Amiliah, but when she saw that the entrance to her daughter's room was ajar, she silently thanked Odin for small miracles and gently used her foot to push open the door. She immediately noticed that the lights were all on, the room of cream-white walls illuminated. The bed was made (Selena would be happy to hear Elsa did that!) and the many stuffed animals the Frost wives had bought Elsianna were paced either on the pillows by the headrest or on the counter top at the corner of the wall.

Deanna paid most of the details no further mind. She was looking for the resident of the room, which she found as she turned her head and spied the little girl sitting at the large vanity on the other side of the room, nearer to the door, her head resting against the small arms that lay on the countertop.

“Elsa?” Deanna asked. 

The child's response was to turn her head this way and that, as if shaking her head 'no' in reply. 

“Sweetheart, what's wrong?” Deanna asked as she took a step into the room. It was this movement that Oberon decided to make his presence known, the pile of white fur bounding from behind the bed – where Deanna hadn't seen him – and walking around Deanna's legs before sitting at her feet. Deanna had worked hard to keep the dog from jumping up, especially after Amiliah was born.

“Yes, Oberon. Good boy.” Deanna greeted the pup before she took a few more steps towards Elsianna. Getting a better look at her, the redhead could see her daughter dressed up in her costume – the shiny fabrics reflecting the light from the lamps and the various colors of red, green and blue – both Deanna and Selena had worked hard on Elsianna's requested costume and, Deanna was sure, their daughter was the perfect “female Mad Hatter” from Alice in Wonderland cartoon movie. Elsianna had been so happy upon the costume's completion that she had spent that same day dressed in it, a good two weeks before Halloween. Now? Though she wore it, she couldn't have seemed sadder.

“Does Odin hate me, mother?” Elsianna asked, keeping her head buried in her arms.
Deanna's eyes widened at that questions, clearly caught off guard. “Hate you?”

Deciding to risk it, Deanna re-positioned Amiliah in the crook of her single arm, managing the weight of the baby there. That's it! I'm using our gym more! This is pathetic! Her arm free, she gently reached out to touch the white-haired girl's shoulder, guiding her to sit back in her chair. She resisted at first, but eventually, Elsianna sat back and Deanna met the red eyes of her daughter – the clear sign the child had been crying.

“Why would anyone hate you?” Deanna whispered. “No one does.”
“Then why won't this day end?” Elsianna cried. “It feel like it's been going on forever!”
“Today?” Deanna asked, somewhat worried. “But...you love Halloween. Hasn't today been fun? We watched 'The Halloween Tree' and made cookies and-”

Her voice trailed off when Elsianna sniffled. “I just want it to be over.” the child muttered. “Mommy isn't here.”

Deanna closed her eyes and bit her lower lip, her eyes trailing over to see the clock on Elsianna's nightstand. The day and time read correctly – but again, the redhead's mind ran the rampant thought: Where are you?!

“What if...” her voice trailed off. She had asked this question days ago, when Selena had first left to travel to Oklahoma City. And while she knew the answer, she had to try again. “What if I call Gerda to look after David and Ami – and you and I can go?” It could still work...

Despite the thought, Deanna watched the child dash the notion away with a shake of her head. “Mom... Halloween is mommy and me.”

That statement seemed to surprise Deanna. “What do you mean, sweetheart?”
“Mommy doesn't love Christmas.” Elsianna stated emphatically.
“Of course she does!” Deanna retorted. “You know she loves decorating the house and all the celebrations-”
“She loves the season. But not Christmas... She never wants to be near Santa. She doesn't play parts in the Christmas shows. Mommy... mommy likes to hide when it's Christmas time.”

Despite the misunderstandings of the child, Deanna had to marvel at the girl's brilliance in trying to understand the reality. It was somewhat true: Selena Frost, even being the Snow Queen, was not a fan of the 'traditional Christmas' that most were. She enjoyed the specials on T.V and the decorations and the get togethers. But there was a reason she had her own private celebration of Yuletide – one that only she and Deanna knew about. There was a reason she kept to herself, being seen as the Snow Queen in the neighbourhood this time of year.

It was the worst kept secret in the neighbourhood: Nobody bothered Selena Frost during Christmas. They respected her different beliefs and, much like those that celebrated Hanukkah, the neighbourhood did their best not to shove Christmas in her face. 

“Christmas is for us, mom.” Elsianna explained as best she could. “You and me and Ami and David- mommy stays in the distance and watches. Halloween is for mommy and me.” she finished sadly. “And she's not here. And I just want this day to finally end.”

Deanna had no idea what to say to that. It never had occurred to her that a six-year-old would have such a grasp of reality, being raised by two women. When she had been Elsa's age, it had just been her and her sister, Amy, and the officer of Kentucky had been Deanna's sister and mother, taking her trick-or-treating and doing everything together.

Would I have thought about it like that if mom and dad had been alive? she thought for a moment but dismissed the what-if. It was partially her fault – hers and Selena's – that their daughter was like this and, for the first time that day, Deanna wanted to break down and end her daughter's misery. Just a little longer... she told herself. She promised... she added, even after she squashed the bit of doubt that rose within her, telling her that her wife had promised to be there for Elsianna for Halloween earlier... and had to break that promise... leading to-

Oberon suddenly began barking, startling both Elsianna, Deanna and even waking up poor Amiliah, who began crying a little at being so disturbed. Undeterred by their reactions, the husky bolted out of the room and down the stairs. Deanna, meanwhile, barely had time to say “What on-” before the sound of the front door downstairs being opened was heard. Oberon kept barking loudly as a voice surpassed his.

“Deanna? Elsianna?” the voice was light and had the slight accent that made Deanna's heart melt. Even David, who had stayed in his room the whole time, came out to stand by the rails of the stairs.

As for Elsianna? In less than a second, her expression had changed from heartbroken to hopeful and, like Oberon, she had bolted out of the room. However, where Oberon's cry had been a bark, Elsianna's was a scream that made Deanna laugh despite its pitch.

“MOMMY!” 

Smiling to herself, Deanna quickly tended to her crying Amiliah, cradling and cooing her as she left Elsa's room to stand by David at the stair-base. Seeing the mudroom below, she could not contain the bright smile on her face as Selena stood there, dressed in the red uniform and black soldier hat of – Deanna couldn't deny it – her wife was a dead-ringer of a female version of Sir Crackshell!

The life-size nutcracker picked up Elsianna with ease, holding her up before holding her tight in a hug. “I promised you I'd be home!” she exclaimed happily before her sapphire eyes jumped up to meet the emerald eyes of her wife. “I....did make it, didn't I?”

“Yes, you did.” Deanna replied knowingly, adding a wink that only Selena could see. “A little late though...” she added with a tease but Elsianna was too happy to notice.
“How did you do it, Mommy?! How did you get back?!”

With a shrug, Selena opened her mouth to explain. “Would you believe me if I said magic?” she asked.
“Real magic?” Elsianna asked with a tilt of her head.
“Yes, actually.” Selena stuck her tongue out playfully. “See...right now, I'm in two places at once.” she stated, almost in a storybook mode. “I'm both here and at Breakdown.”

“Really?!” Elsianna's eyes had to be as wide as saucers.
“Yeah...” 

Lowering her oldest daughter down, Selena reached into the pocket of her blue, uniform pants, pulling out her phone and opening YouTube. Quickly, she drew up the SCW channel and played the video. Before Elsianna's eyes, she saw her mother, live on Breakdown, speaking with Owen Cruze about the crazy, sunglasses wearing man who used an umbrella in doors – when it wasn't even raining indoors!!

Deanna, meanwhile, could not believe that her wife was almost messing everything up just for 'wonder'. What am I talking about?! Of course I can believe that! she sighed, reaching over with her free hand to run it through the blonde hair of David. Elsianna, meanwhile, could not speak as her jaw hit the floor.

“Pretty cool, huh?” Selena smiled, turning off the phone and hiding it back in her pocket.
Elsianna, to bewildered and in awe to analyze the situation, merely accepted it with several nods of her head. “Does...does this mean?”

“Well...I didn't pull off that magic trick just to say 'Ta-dah', did I?” Selena grinned. “Get your stuff, snowflake! It's candy time!”

A loud “YAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!” ran through the room as Elsianna bolted back up the stairs, rushing back into her room to get the other pieces of her costume. Deanna turned her head back to the soldier standing at the door, the large suitcase sitting beside her, and gave her a shake of her head. Selena, in turn, smiled brightly, her pearly-white teeth showing as she moved her head a little in delight as Oberon, bored once again, scuddled into the living room to do... well, 'dog-things'. 

A short tug at Deanna's arm earned her attention, the short-haired redhead turning to see her two-year old staring back at her.
“I wanna go too!” whined David.
“Oh no, David.” Deanna shook her head. “Halloween is for big kids. You're not there yet.”

Deanna knew what she was in for with her answer. David had reached the terrible twos with one incredible annoyance. Jealousy. When Elsianna was playing with something, he wanted it. When Ami was getting more attention – being a baby and all – he wanted it. And if he didn't get it.

Before Deanna's eyes, David took a deep breath and held it, crossing his arms across his tiny frame. “Come on, David.” Deanna sighed, but the boy stayed put, earning a shrug from her. “Fine. Be that way.” she stated, turning on her foot and walking into Amiliah's room, placing the child, once more asleep, into her crib and tucking her in. She gave the child a kiss on the cheek and turned back around just in time to see Elsianna, now with her Mad Hatter's hat (large and green as it was) bound down the steps, candy bag in her other hand.

David had stayed put, his face now as red as a beet.

“Still going at it?” Deanna asked, leaning against the wall and crossing her arms. To answer, David stamped his foot, but it was clear he was fighting a losing battle. Deanna simply watched him as the seconds ticked by. It only took a few before the boy exhaled, unable to last any longer.

“It's not fair!” he gasped before running back into his room, still in the throngs of his own tantrum.

With a sigh, Deanna turned her head to see Selena watching the whole affair as Elsianna slid her shoes on. “You alright, pet?” she asked quietly.
The younger Frost wife nodded. “Fine. Have fun, minx. Everything is fine.”

There was a slight tone to her message – a second meaning that Selena merely nodded her head at before turning to Elsianna. “Okay, Elsa.” she began. “You know the rules. Hold my hand-” she reached out and took her child's free hand. “No running a head and remember to say thank you. We're going to go around the neighbourhood and that's it. Okay?”

Elsianna was too excited to speak her answer, choosing instead to nod her head faster than a Bobble-head. “Easy, sweetheart!” Deanna called from the top of the stairs. “Your head might fall off!”

Turning her head up to her beloved, Selena smiled. “So says the 'Red Queen'.” she added a gesture to the redhead before reaching for the door and helping the mini-Mad Hatter out. The cool breeze hit them quickly and Selena turned her gaze down to make sure her daughter was bundled up and warm.

“Mommy?” Elsianna asked, looking around their front yard and the forest trials that would take them to the neighbourhood houses. “Where are all the other kids?”

Selena looked around herself, despite knowing the answer quickly. She could see pumpkins and other decorations in the distance but there was not a single child in costume outside.

“Well...” Selena sighed. “We are running late. Most of the neighbourhood kids stopped around an hour ago. Maybe we'll find one...” she turned her gaze back to her snowflake. “I'm sorry.” she offered. “I didn't mean to be so late. It...”

“I don't care.” exclaimed Elsianna, squeezing her mommy's hand tightly. “You're here now! That's what matters!”

A smile came to Selena's lips and she gave a nod as they made their way down the trail, walking only about six minutes until they had made it to Kai and Gerda's house. Slowly, almost tentatively, Selena reached up to knock on the door, seeing the pumpkins and ghosts on the porch. Oh please work...please work... her mind begged, her knuckles rapping upon the wooden, brown surface.

A few moments passed before the door flew open and Gerda, dressed in a traditional witch's outfit gave out a cry. “HAPPY HALLOWEEN!” she exclaimed! “Oh, a Winter Soldier and...” she eyed Elsianna carefully. “I'd say a big hatted fellow!”
“I'm the Mad Hatter, Mrs. Anderson!” Elsianna exclaimed.

“So you are my dear!” the elderly woman beamed, reaching out to tap the child's nose affectionately. “You know, Kai and I were worried! All the children had come and gone and we were afraid you wouldn't be able to make it. Better late than never though, right?”

Her smile and the wiggle of her eyebrows seemed more directed at Selena as the witch picked up a big, glass, punch bowl filled with candy. “Now, choose your treat, dear Hatter!”

“Just one.” reminded Selena, watching her child's small hand dance slightly above the assembly of candy. After a moment or two, she picked her candy bar and placed it in her bag. “What do we say?”
“Thank you, Mrs. Anderson.” Elsianna exclaimed, rushing forward to give the older lady a hug.
“Oh, you are welcome, my dear.” Gerda replied. “Quite the special night for it, I think.”

Satisfied with house number one, Elsianna turned to go, taking her mother's hand and practically dragging her away. “Come on, mommy! We have more houses!”

Turning her head, Selena barely had time to mouth the words 'thank you' to Gerda before, once again, ending up back on the trail. It was a similar fashion for the next hour and a half, the pair walking up and down the trail to different houses, each person greeting them in costume and with candy. True, they didn't find any other children in costumes, but Elsianna didn't mind. Soon enough, her bag was filled with candy and – after so much running and cheering – the child had given up walking altogether, instead being carried by her mother, the Snow Queen balancing Elsianna in her arms while the white-haired child balanced her bag of candy in her hat and in her arms and frame.

Carrying her child as Elsianna began slipping into sleep – it was well past her bedtime as it was – Selena wasn't surprised to see the beautiful redhead – having seen them approaching - opening the door to stand at the porch, her nightgown wearing frame illuminated by the single porch light. Deanna gazed at the sleepy child in Selena's arms, the nutcracker soldier standing there as her wife reached out to caress the cheek of their daughter.

“I...” Selena tried but could not readily find the words. “You are...”

I single finger was gently pressed to her lips, effectively silencing the Snow Queen. 

“Put her to bed.” Deanna gently ordered, taking Elsianna's big 'mat-hatter' hat away. “Then we can talk.”

Nodding her head in agreement, Selena waited for Deanna to hold the door open for them before quietly stepping inside. Oberon looked up from his place lying on the floor in the nearby room but then lowered it as he, too, was too tired to do much. Carefully, Selena crept upstairs and into her daughter's room, carefully removing the barely conscious Elsa's costume and placing her in her pyjamas before tucking her into bed.

“Thank you...mommy...” muttered the child, earning a smile from Selena.
“You're welcome, Snowflake.” Selena whispered, tucking her own platinum-blonde hair behind her ear in order to kiss Elsianna's cheek. 

Standing up, the Snow Queen crept out of the room, closing the door behind her. She was quick to wish David and Ami a good night, David now asleep as well and done with his tantrum, before she made her way downstairs to the living room where Deanna was waiting, having placed Elsianna's candy bag in one of the cupboards and out of reach of the children.

Taking off the soldier hat and removing the red uniform shirt, revealing a black t-shirt underneath, Selena placed the clothes on the nearby table before briskly moving to her wife. Spinning Deanna around so the redhead faced her, Selena quickly cupped her wife's face, crushing her lips against the younger woman's. Deanna barely had time to utter an “mmmph!” before reaching her arms around and wrapping them around Selena's neck. The two refused to move until the need for air took over. Breaking away, Selena gasped for air, but did not stop Deanna as the redhead rested her forehead against Selena's.

“I cannot believe we just pulled that off.” Selena whispered, the enormity of what they had accomplished finally hitting her. “I cannot believe you pulled it off.” Moving her head back, she shook her head in disbelief at the beautiful woman in her arms. “How? How did you do it?”

Biting her lip playfully, Deanna took a slight breath. “It wasn't easy.” she admitted before removing herself from Selena. “Get the laptop.” she motioned towards the computer sitting on the table as she moved to the calendar hanging on the wall. “I mean – I must have checked everything four or five times to make sure I didn't miss one.”

Reaching the calendar, Deanna grabbed the red marker that rested on the table underneath it. Uncapping it, she quickly drew a line over the date October 31st before flipping the page over to November to cross out the first of that month as well. “I literally got so sick of seeing October the 31st on everything.”

“But it worked.” Selena stated, using the USB mouse on the laptop to change the date back to its rightful day of November 1st. “How did Elsianna take it?”

Turning her head to acknowledge her wife, Deanna sighed as she moved to change the time on the analog clock on the wall (which also had the date on it). “She thought the gods hated her and were making the day longer to punish her.”

She caught the expression on Selena's face shift to utter sadness at that. “I thought...” she tried, closing the laptop. “I thought if I took a plane, it be faster than taking the bus back.”
“What happened?” Deanna asked, taking her wife's hand and guiding her down a set of stairs to the play area, the Frost wives working on all the computers and clocks that required their rightful time/date to be re-established.

“The plane got delayed two hours, so it didn't take off till 1pm. Flew five hours back – that was fine, but then they didn't let us out for an hour. Some kind of error of sort, I really don't know. I was way too frustrated.” Selena confessed as the pair continued to fix the time. 

“Have you slept?” Deanna asked suddenly, only now – with the suspense/excitement mixture of their plan a thing of the past – able to see the bags under her wife's eyes, thus having her answer.
“I...I couldn't.” came the admittance. “I was too stressed.”

Fixing the last clock in the room, Deanna sighed before reaching out to caress Selena's face with her hand. “You go upstairs. Have a warm shower-”
“Warm? But that-”
“I want you to be tired and exhausted, Selena.” stated Deanna. “Because you need to sleep.”

Slowly, understanding, Selena nodded. “Alright. Let's take care of the two in my office and-” she moved to approach the pathway to her office, but Deanna was quick to stop her. 

“I'll change everything. It's just your computer and analog clock on the wall. Then I'll wait for you in bed, okay?” her voice booked no room for argument and, after all she had done for Selena, the platinum-blonde was not going to deny her anything. Turning to go, Selena only stopped to turn around and shake her head at her wife.

“How did you do it, Deanna?” she finally asked. “Setting all the clocks back, I get. But how did you know that you could get all the neighbours to play along? I mean... Elsa and I went to practically EVERY house and they all were in on it!”

For the first time that night, a look of shy guilt came across Deanna's face – more embarrassed shame as Selena got a second glance. “Well...” Deanna started. “First, they love us and they love Elsianna. So, when I explained what it meant to her and to you...”

Selena smiled at that. They had wonderful neighbours – far different than what she had been use to in Nome. But Deanna's words in their entirety caught up with the Snow Queen. “First? What's second?”

A sharp intake of breath came from Deanna through clenched teeth as her hands fiddled together. “I... kinda promised them that we would host the Christmas festival night this year.”

Immediately, Selena's mouth opened, ready to express her frustration at such a notion. All that Christmas shoved down her throat? All the reminders of what she had lost – her Christmas Curse of all things?!

And yet... as Deanna stood before her, her hands clasped tightly, ready to take the onslaught on, Selena couldn't find it in herself to be angry. Or even upset. “Okay.” she finally said.

Deanna's eyes widened in surprise. “Okay? You're not mad?”
“Deanna..” Selena sighed, walking the short distance to take her wife's hands into hers. “You made me be in two places at once. The most impossible thing – something that even SCW jokes about – and you made it possible for me to do it. You made our daughter happy and saved her from heartbreak because I screwed up. If that means I have to be a little uncomfortable for a night or so, then I'll gladly take that bullet.”

Deanna released a 'phew' of relief before the two shared a soft, short kiss. “I'm going to go shower.” Selena whispered, leaving Deanna to finish the task.

With her wife upstairs, Deanna was quick to move into her wife's office. A few minutes later, she had corrected the date on Selena's computer and on her clock hanging on the wall. However, just as she was about to leave, her eyes caught sight of the large bookcase that wrapped around the perimeter of the room, particularly the section that lead to Selena's 'SCW-room' of trophies. 

“Did I change the clock on the wall inside- yes! Yes, I did!” Deanna recalled, quickly shuffling over to the section she knew and pulling the 'The Snow Queen' novel that activated the unlocking mechanism and moved the panel of books to allow entrance. Quickly turning the light on, the redhead caught sight of the simple, circular clock with the date in the middle of it. “Damn, I was thorough!” Deanna jokingly praised herself, spotting that the date also said “October 31st”.

Reaching up, the young woman took the clock off the wall and began rotating the dial on the back, pushing the hands forward until-

“All is right-” Deanna started but froze as her finger caught one of the batteries, flinging it out of its hold and causing it to bounce on the floor and roll under a shelf where photos of Selena with fans and Make-A-Wish people were. “Damn.” Deanna muttered before closing the distance to the shelf. Bending her knees, she knelt down and reached under it, her fingers searching around for the battery. When her fingers felt the smooth surface of something, she grinned and pulled the substance out.

But it was not a battery.

As Deanna held the item in the light, her eyes caught the ridges and curves of the shard of glass. It was a round, tunnel-like piece, covered in dust as if it had been there for weeks, Selena being unaware of its location. But it wasn't the curves or design that caught Deanna's attention, but the tag around its neck and the cap on top of it – a multiple set of crowns appeared before Deanna's eyes.

She knew what this was – hell, she saw it on TV enough and crossed it several times in the LCBO section of their grocery store!

The glass belonged to a bottle of Crown Royal! 

Immediately, a hundred different thoughts whirled around in Deanna's head. Questions of how? Why? How long? And yet... as they all remained unanswered, one thought slowly emerged to take control.

The night a few weeks ago... Selena working late into the night... the children finally being asleep... Deanna coming here – to Selena's office – to seduce her wife to make love – tasting alcohol on her lips... Selena saying it was Deanna because of the red wine that night...

The event played before Deanna's eyes and she did all she could to shut it out. “No...” she whispered. “No, I'm wrong... She wouldn't do that...” she added as a thought from earlier that evening came back. She promised... she promised...

She promised Elsianna Halloween and broke that promise. Had it not been for you, she would have!

The redhead stared down at the glass and cap in her hand. No one was allowed in this room but her and Selena – no one knew of this place but her, Selena and Elsianna. There was only one person besides her that would have Crown Royal down here.

“Selena...” Deanna whispered. “She...she lied.”

And in that moment, Halloween truly was still alive, delivering one final scare before its death. A scare to a young redhead as Deanna realized – with horror - that her wife had broken more than one promise to their family, lied to more people than just her daughter...

She's been lying to me all along...

The screen flickers a little before settling on the image – the webcam and microphone working and recording everything necessary. Everything situated properly, the owner of these techs sits back and give a small smile and a wave – the slight sound of traffic in the distance is heard every so often but not in a too distracting way.

Hello True-Believers and everyone listening in the SCW Universe.

The face before them is Selena Frost – the Snow Queen and next contender for the United States Championship. She allows a moment for the viewer to take in the details of the scene. To the viewer, Selena sits on a couch of leather with large windows behind her. The shades are drawn on the windows so the focus is on Selena. The lights above, white in color, illuminate the space. As for the Alaskan Dragon, herself? She wears a simple blue, shoulder-less sweater with snowflakes decorating the top. Her bare neck and shoulders allows the viewer to see the dragon-snowflake pendant around her neck, the symbol of her family: the Frost clan. Lastly, while her eyes are slightly red, perhaps from the webcam quality, her hair stands out prominently, platinum-blonde and wrapped in its iconic braid.

For those of you who don't know where we are, this- she gestures with her hands to her own surroundings. This is the “Believe It!” tour bus and myself and my driver, Eric, are on our way – where else? - to Little Rock, Arkansas. That's right, we are headed to Breakdown!

The words seem to stir in Selena's head for a moment.

Quite easily one of the most important Breakdowns of my career... You know, what's coming up – the main-event – fighting for the United States Title...

For a moment, the platinum-blonde says nothing, as if at a loss for words. And before everything goes down, I'm having a hard time believing this is all really happening. I mean: worst kept secret, I've been waiting for this moment to come for a long time... a really long time  - I've wanted it so badly. And I must have thought of a hundred different ways to start off a 'Royal Letter' for it. Would I show respect to the champion? Would it be someone I DID respect like Kennedy or Dawn or Jake? Would it be someone I hated like Regan again? Would I be excited... nervous? 

And... the thing is... the more and more I thought about it – the idea of me fighting for the United States Championship after Mr. D. announced me as the next contender – the more I thought about just how many people that single decision must have upset.

With a click of her tongue, Selena shakes her head a bit. And when I say 'people', I don't mean the SCW Universe of True-Believers, because if your reaction to that announcement was any indication, dare I say, you might be looking forward to this match even more than me, and I didn't think THAT was possible! 

No... I'm referring to the people that cried outrage – or conspiracy – or a mixture of both with the adding of 'Lizard King!' when the announcement was made. Words like 'favouritism' and 'buying favours' and 'kissing ass' and 'didn't earn it' were consistently tossed around by those in the SCW locker room and on Twitter and Discord – hell, even the current champion, Bree Lancaster, has forsaken the 'believe' jokes and 'family jabs' in favour of taking that stance. 

And, honestly...
Selena shrugs. Who can blame her? I mean, yes, I lost my last two pay-per-view matches against Owen Cruze and, more recently, against Christy Matthews in what, some have called, 'high-way robbery'. But, you've all heard our United States Champion in the past – winning is winning and losing is losing. Like in The Fast and the Furious. Doesn't matter how you win, right, Bree? Long as you win? Yes, you made it clear how you're ready to defend the only championship you have left, but most of us, including me, aren't questioning that. Now, most of us, where you are concerned, question how long until you con and cheat your way out of it – or at least try to. And given the history between you and I? It's not that hard to understand why you would.

The Snow Queen shrugs.

The other reason why, I'm sure, that this train of thought has passed your arrogant lips, Bree, is because of who you're listening to. Let's face it, you haven't been shy in mentioning getting advice from the World Champion when it comes to dealing with me. Hell, last time you spoke about me, I actually thought I was listening to a Sienna Swann promo from earlier this year:

'Selena is selfish.'
'Selena only cares about herself.'
'Selena doesn't care about SCW'.

I could go on, and I probably will in a few more days, but while I heard it all before – hell, I just heard it with your 'evaluation' of how I even got to this match - I have to admit there was a certain tone in your voice that brought me back to that last time you spoke about me: I'm referring to Fatal Fortunes now, by the way. The way you said my name, broke down who I was before jumping into other names like Billy Breakdown and Konrad Raab- there was a word you said... what was it?

Snapping her fingers, Selena suddenly stops. I remember! Formidable! That was the word! You didn't think someone like me or Billy or Konrad was as formidable as – say – someone like Syren, right?

The Snow Queen lifts her eyebrows playfully as she shrugs. You do realize, Bree, I've actually beaten Syren in the middle of the ring, right? I was in the ring and I pinned her for the clean count. And this was before she was ducking shows and refusing to wrestle and before she was demanding a world title shot every time the camera was on her. Back when she was actually a damn good wrestler. 

But now? She's 'formidable' to you? The woman that literally plays politics and refuses to wrestle rather than shutting her mouth and wrestling in the ring is a personal 'choice' for you? 

Maybe I shouldn't really take that remark seriously then if what you are basing that word on is that woman or the world champion who says she stands for the company while blackmailing her way out of title defences.

An amused scoff comes from the Snow Queen.

Not formidable, huh? Not 'to be taken seriously'? Why is that, Bree? Because I don't pose for cameras or strike the 'perfect pose' like you do? Because my measurements don't make me the ideal 'hourglass' shape for Dior or Victoria Secret? You know what? You and Sienna can have as many pictures taken as you want, sign as many product deals as you can handle, and Syren can come up with as many plans with Ravyn or tantrums to throw on television. But, the reality is that people aren't watching SCW for your photos or your latest 'fashion statements' or the tantrums. 

No, Bree. These people are watching for the pure athleticism and talent that only 'supreme wrestling' offers. People in Emerge – they work their butts off to get to where we are. They dream of it – yearn for the chance. People in the audience, some of them pray to some day do what we do – perform at the level that we perform at.

Selena shrugs.

But what do you care? Long as you win, right? Long as those deals from Dior and that fame keeps rolling in for you, right? You're the champion and because I'm not as 'pretty' as you – that's okay, I don't mind if people find me ugly – or because I respect my boss and all that this company has done for me, I'm not 'worthy' to stand on your level.

I've heard those words from Sienna, Regan, Josh Hudson – basically everyone that was associated with Past, Present and Future and now the Beauty Network. Does that mean I take your words as the 'be all' and turn down such an opportunity? One that I've desired longer than you can imagine? 

Just because you don't see me as 'formidable'?

Taking a huff of a breath, Selena runs her hands through her hair.

You know what, Bree? Maybe I AM getting handed this opportunity. Maybe I was 'unfairly' picked to be the next contender. Maybe there is a chance that there are some politics at play with this that I just don't know of. If Bound by Blood was any indication, there certainly is something off in the D. household... 

But, maybe there is a chance, and I'm just saying maybe here, that after taking shots to the head with monitors, fracturing my ribs, having a crate dropped on my ankle and nearly taking me out of SCW - maybe after winning the damn Trios Tournament! Oh! Speaking of which!

Selena reached over to her side to reveal the contract that she has held for nearly a year. Remember this, Bree? I could have used this and it wouldn't have mattered what you thought about it. Whether you thought I 'deserve' it or not. Know why? Because I earned this Trios shot! I could have gotten that United States Championship match anytime I wanted, Bree - whether you liked it or not. No matter how much you whined on Twitter or cried to your interviewers or into your pillow while TMZ filmed the whole thing, you would have to have faced me.

With frustration, Selena tosses the contract down on the couch she sits on. Know why I didn't do that, Bree? Why I didn't just use my Trios to get that shot against you? It's not because I fear you or that I didn't have a chance. Don't get me wrong, you've shown me time and time again that, to you, the ends will always justify the means. While someone like Christy Matthews will deny her involvement in that screwjob that happened at Bound By Blood, you would have revelled in it. You would have taken a win against me and held it over my head – regardless of the implications – till the end of days. That makes you as dangerous as anyone I have ever faced – that desperation. That obsession to just win. I've seen it and dealt with it most of this year with Regan and Sienna. 

Me? That's not good enough, Bree. It's not enough for me to just use my Trios, get my shot and take the United States Title from you. No, Bree. I wanted to earn it. I wanted to fight and win until SCW thought that I was worthy of challenging for the United States Championship. Until I knew – in my heart, until they knew – that I was worthy to fight for that championship. Because despite what you think, or, more accurately, what Sienna is whispering in your ear: THAT is how I have lived my entire career.

The Snow Queen shakes her head slightly before readjusting the webcam for a better picture.

Tell me, Bree, because you're the closest thing to this whole 'never earned anything' source that started with Sienna and continued with the whole 'formidable' and 'being handed everything' nonsense: What part of my career wasn't earned? 

Are you talking about how I got my first Adrenaline title shot by beating the then champion, Thomas Watson, three times in a row before beating him a fourth time for the title? Was it when I regained the Adrenaline championship by winning, not just the title back, but winning the whole Shot of Adrenaline tournament? Was it when I became World Champion because the people voted me to face Alexis Quinne after 'The Year of Selena Frost' that saw me beat people like Kelcey Wallace, Kennedy Street, and Ravyn Taylor? 

Was that it, Bree? Or was it all the number one contender matches I had to win against the likes of Alistaire Allocco, Vixen Cain, and your ex-husband, Blake Mason? What part of my near five years here wasn't 'earned', Bree? Because the more I think about it, the more I wonder what part of your logic has it that I don't earn my keep here in SCW? Which part of your logic makes me 'unformidable' or 'undeserving', Bree?

Selena thinks for a moment. What? 'Unformidable' isn't a word? Well, if you can make up words like 'ambitchous' and 'unfuckwithable', then permit me this one time, will you please? Because I am sick of thinking about that, Bree. The Beauty Network's opinion of me and my worth here in SCW. And from you of all people...

Because – yes, let's turn this around - how did you even get a shot at the United States Championship, Bree? Who did you beat? What contendership match did YOU win?

Selena raises her arm and then immediately drops it. I mean, if you want to use the same insults I've heard a hundred times, ignore me for weeks and then send an offhand tweet as 'good enough' to deal with me, fine, but if you're going to join Sienna and tell me that I didn't 'earn' this chance, then for the love of the gods, don't have your reign be the result of 'good fortune'. Because, if you actually think about it, perhaps my chance was because, since Rise to Greatness, I've only lost twice – while number one contenders to the world title like Alistaire Allocco and AJ Helms, people like the Taking Hold of the Flame winner, Giovanni Aries, people like former world champion Damian Angel, and yes, even your chief of security, Dante MacCafferty, have all fallen to me.

Maybe showing that kind of ability – the kind you brag about having as you surround yourself with a personal security team – was what made SCW believe I was ready to challenge you for that title. But you? You didn't beat anyone to get your shot, did you, Bree?

By your own admittance: Regan Street handed it to you on a silver platter. Regan all but forfeited the U.S. Title to Jason Helms and, since you just so happened to be facing him at Rise to Greatness, you got the shot. Remember? You were laughing about it during your Fatal Fortunes promo – about how 'delighted' you were to think about how I was robbed of my chance and it was given to you – hell, you just took delight in that again on that cellphone-recorded promo of yours! But you shame me for not 'earning' my shot in your eyes?

The Snow Queen shakes her head.

You know what? You're right, Bree. It did bother me back in July. It bothered me that Regan would throw away so amazing and wonderful a title as the one you hold just to spite me. Throw away an incredible reign just because she was terrified that I would prove her wrong and make her eat her own words that I would 'never hold the United States Championship'.

Stopping suddenly to bite her lower lip, it is clear that this is still a sore spot for the Snow Queen.

That word again – the other word I hear over and over again with you and the Beauty Network and those that hate me. 'Never'. I'll 'never hold the United States Title', I 'never pinned you or made you submit', I 'never earned anything in SCW'. It infuriates me. Know why, Bree? Because that word is the most fragile word I've ever heard and you use it as gospel! Yes, I've never pinned you or made you submit. Know what I have done to you, Bree?

Selena holds up her fingers as she counts. 
Put you through a table so you couldn't answer a ten count.
Beat you down to the point where Josh Hudson had to rush in to save you from me.

Those were our last two singles matches, Bree and you know what they have in common? I won. I outlasted you in stamina in the first and I beat you down until a veteran like Josh Hudson knew you were cooked. But, you're right. I've never 'officially beaten you' by pinfall or submission. You've bragged about that up and down for years. Even when we weren't fighting one another like we are now. But do you know what the stupid thing is, Bree? Something I actually DON'T brag about in my promos but is just as true?

Selena sighs as she looks up at the roof of her bus before turning her gaze back at the camera. You've never pinned me. You've never made me submit.

A light chuckle comes from Selena as those words sink in and she speaks slowly. I cannot tell you how dumb you have sounded every time you have said that. How you desperately clung to that fact against me because it was all you had. Know why I didn't brag about it, Bree? Because it may be good enough for you to hang your hat on – but, like I said, it's not good enough for me...

A shake of her head and Selena continues. Your 'gospel' with me? No different than the lies you tell to hide your scandals or the words you make up like 'ambitchous' to make yourself feel superior. It's fake. It's not real. And your 'nevers'? Well, they are the most fragile things that I have ever seen. Because you know what it takes to break a 'never', Bree? All it takes is courage to do what that never is accusing. To make it untrue. Make it a lie – just like your supposed 'superiority' over me.

The Snow Queen runs a hand through her hair again, a knowing smile gracing her lips.

I mean, think about it, Bree. The biggest arguments? Yours, Regan's, Sienna's? About me, my worth, the title, earning, 'truly beating you'?

Those nevers become dust if I just... well, beat you and become the United States Champion.

I mean, isn't that something? One match. One match where I don't think about Giovanni's plans or Christy's words, or Regan's crap or Sienna's tweets – one match where I just do what I can pretty much do better than anyone else in SCW. Fight for my dreams and believe with all I am that I can achieve them.

One match, Bree – and I can take all those nevers and poof!
Selena flashes her hand in a gesture simulating a 'poof' explosion. Gone. Destroyed. 

And you know it. You know what I can do in the ring and how all those lies of yours are hanging by a single thread – a thread on the cusp of being cut by a glass shard. All I have to be is better than your 'classiness', faster than your skills, and stronger than your desperation to remain champion...

I guess the question is: Can I do it? You were SO sure James Evans and Angelica Jones could never match you last weekend – that they were inferior to your team... and that James Evans – whom you vowed would NEVER become Supreme champion on your watch – would fade into obscurity...

How did all that end up, Bree? All those 'nevers'?

For a moment, Selena reaches up to hold the pendant that is around her neck.

You know, just last week, I was in two places at once. Not joking. Was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. But we did it – my wife and I. We believed I could do it and we made it happen. We made something impossible possible. Now, another seemingly 'impossible' task lies before me. Now, I can earn the championship I never could win by 'officially' beating the woman I never have before. And all I am asking myself now is 'can I do it?'.

Looking back at the screen, Selena offers a genuine, kind smile.

But you? You already know what my answer is... don't you, Bree?

The screen fades to black as the writing in pink appears on the screen. Sincerely, Selena Michelle Frost before fading to black completely.
OOC: And here is the second roleplay. It jumps ahead several weeks from the first to take place the week before Breakdown. Promo is aired the morning of Breakdown. Enjoy and best of luck, J!

I of the Storm

“Christmas Curse”

Tick...tock...tick...tock

Selena could faintly hear the seconds literally ticking away from the grandfather clock as she sat in the closed space of the balcony. The windows in front of her were drawn to keep the cold out, despite her desire to feel it on her pale skin – she had no desire to make her impending companion sick – but the door behind her, which lead back inside her Manhattan home, remained open. The colourful lights of red, gold, blue and green from the Christmas tree in the corner sent a cascade of colours along the walls and floors, spilling near Selena's vision. Additionally, there was a nightlight in the kitchen area that allowed the Snow Queen a view of the room near her.

And it was a beautiful sight. Green tinsel, mistletoe, a gingerbread house on the table made of gumdrops and graham crackers and other goodies. It was impossible for the Snow Queen to take it all in with one glance. Still, it warmed her heart as she tried to. The Frost family had done amazingly well decorating their home in the week Selena had had off following the Pay-Per-View Bound by Blood, SCW following its traditional week-long rest following such events. And while she was still uneasy about the Christmas season actually starting tomorrow with the arrival of December, she was more than excited for tonight...now...

Tick...tock

“Oh shut up...” Selena whispered in a mixture of good humour and nervousness, more to herself than to the actual clock – who wouldn't listen to her anyway. The only thing that clock would obey would be the batteries that ran it – unless she or Deanna made it reverse time itself... Selena smiled at that memory. Halloween had been odd this year but it had ended far better than she had feared. True, Elsianna had been confused beyond reason over how she could have possibly 'slept away a whole day' and suddenly arriving at November the second, but after Selena had told her that the Snow Queen, herself, had slept days away after exhausting matches and Deanna had confessed that she had slept days away when she gave birth to Amiliah – a child-friendly way of saying she had been in a coma – the young child seemed to have accepted the notion and moved on and, for that, the Frost wives had been grateful.

Tick...tock...

It had probably been less than a minute since Selena had paid attention to that clock, but she could not stop the nervousness that was creeping in. What was taking Deanna so long? We're running out of time... Selena thought as she checked her phone, the time reading 8:43pm. She also checked for any sign of an incoming text message – she was expecting some kind of notification from Eric. Fortunately, there was none. With an impatient huff, Selena lowered the cellphone back beside her, reaching over to scratch her socked foot. She didn't like what she was wearing in that moment: blue jeans and a shoulder-less blue sweater with snowflake designs that decorated the top around the sleeves and her chest – for she and Deanna had often dressed in either their nightgowns or simple clothes.

It made what usually followed this event... easier.

The thought only bothered Selena more as she stared at the brown, wooden box sitting in her lap. She wanted to stay and do just that. Make love to her beautiful wife. It wasn't like they had been through a dry-spell, per say, but...

Selena shook her head. Perhaps making love to Deanna, fulfilling her and showing the redhead all the love Selena had for her, would have helped things, but there was no point in wishing on what-ifs. They had used their single miracle a few weeks ago for Halloween. Now, Selena needed to put SCW as the priority, especially when she was finally getting the United States Championship opportunity she had been waiting so long for. Then, she would help Deanna with whatever was bothering her. In fact, this whole evening had been at the insistence of Deanna – giving Selena hope that she would be departing with her heart high and her confidence for Breakdown soaring.

It had been the younger Frost that had insisted that Selena leave earlier for Breakdown than usual to settle into wherever she was staying, allowing more time for Selena to fine tune her strategy against Bree Lancaster. True, Selena had studied as much as she could of the current champion, but the platinum-blonde could not deny that there were distractions here – three children, a dog, and a beautiful wife that Selena couldn't quite keep her hands off – that made things difficult. So, it had been decided that Eric would pick Selena up tonight, get her to Little Rock by Saturday, allowing her to spend Saturday settling in and then Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday working out and preparing her strategy.

That had really only left one problem left.

”What about Yuletide?” she had asked earlier.

Selena's created holiday – her personal substitute for Christmas, created in her youth to aid her in her  heartbreak over losing her father – had grown over the years into her own tradition, now as much part of who she was as her birthday or other beliefs. And while Christmas was still celebrated in this household by Deanna and the children, Selena kept Yuletide to herself usually - only Deanna knew about it and only Deanna was allowed to share in it with her, as she had last year when the redhead had finally told the Snow Queen that she was pregnant with Amiliah.

Selena was grateful that there would not be as life-changing surprises this year. No, everything was pleasant and calm going into this holiday season. Only Deanna being reserved and quiet the last few weeks – but Selena had seen moments where that had stopped. 

Tick...tock...

“Come on, pet...” Selena whispered, reaching up to rub her hands together. Why was Deanna cutting this so close? It had been her idea! Yuletide, for Selena's own sake, had few rules – just a few games and events of celebration to the gods and bring merriment. The only rule that Selena followed was that, no matter where she was, she would celebrate the first night of Yuletide with the ringing of the bell – that being December 1st. As the month would pass, the other events: Find the constellation, exchanging the precious gems, exchange of gifts, and the burning of the yule log would all be incorporated individually at different nights one at a time – but this night was important! And Selena wanted to share it with her wife. For Odin's sake, she was willing to follow Deanna's idea and do it technically three and a half hours early just so that they could celebrate the start together. But Selena had waited almost forty-five minutes for Deanna to shower and change.

I better... the platinum-blonde started to decide as she began pushing herself to stand. However, as she stood and turned her head to the door, she was surprised to see an emerald-green nightgown and a black shawl wrapped around the small frame. For the briefest of seconds, because the features were difficult to see in the dimly lit space, Selena feared that Sirus was, once again, rearing her ugly head to cause trouble – the Snow Queen wouldn't have put it past the phantom to show up at such a time as this. But as the woman stepped forward and into the space of other lights, Selena recognized her beloved. Her hair, which was now beyond 'pixie-cut', was only a few centimetres from reaching her shoulders. With a sigh, Selena felt her nerves calm a little – but only for a moment. 

There was a tension that she could not place but she saw it in her wife's posture, the younger woman's hands held behind her back.

“See...” Selena tried in an attempt to break the tension. “Now I feel overdressed.” she added with a wave of her hand over her own frame.
“Well...” Deanna shrugged. “I rather Eric not see you dressed like me-”
“Oh, he's seen me dressed in a nightgown-”

Selena stopped immediately as she saw the stunned expression on her wife's face, confusing the Snow Queen. “What?” she asked. “I've worn pyjamas on the bus, Deanna. You know that – you've done it countless times.”
“Oh...right.” was the only answer Deanna could give.

“Okay... what is up with you?” Selena asked, her voice a mixture of confusion and concern.
“What do you mean?” the redhead asked, adopting an expression of confusion that reminded Selena so much of Amiliah – the baby adapting to its new world as it grew.
“I mean, you've been acting weird for weeks now. One minute, you're affectionate and loving and the next you're cold and distant. Then later, you're clinging to me like I'm going to disappear and then I blink and you're guarded. Seriously, Deanna, what is it?”

Deanna opened her mouth as if to speak but no words came out. The only sound was the cold wind blowing outside and against the windows.

“Is it because I've been focused on Breakdown? I'm sorry, but you know how much this really means to me!” Selena tried. “With the title and my promise...”
“It's not work.” Deanna whispered, finally giving an admission of sorts that something was up.
“So, there IS something wrong.” Selena analyzed.
“I think you know that something is wrong.” Deanna replied, remaining rooted in her position.
“How would I know?” Selena asked. 
“Really?” Deanna's voice seemed to be trying to guide the Snow Queen. “There's nothing you can think of that would cause me to be confused, hurt, guarded, scared... nothing that's happened recently?”

With a huff, Selena racked her brain, going over every recent event in her head. Only a few stuck out in her mind that Deanna would possibly know about. “Was it because I...” she looked around to make sure none of the children were awake and roaming the house, looking for their mothers – still, she dropped her voice to an even quieter whisper, just in case. “Was it because I bit you too hard the last time we made love?”

Deanna winced a little at that memory. It had been during one of her moments of 'clinging to Selena' in fear of what the redhead knew. Her passion had become desperate, needy, causing the platinum-blonde to go along with it, releasing some primal needs of her own.

Reaching up with one hand, the other staying behind her back, Deanna rubbed her neck, where only a yellowish bruise remained – the only remaining visible sign of such lovemaking – and shook her head. “That was my fault.” she whispered.

“Was it because of Halloween?”
“No.”
“Did I say something?”
“No.”
“Then for Odin's sake, Deanna, what is it?! I'll apologize for whatever it is!” Selena implored before her eyes gazed down at the wooden box by her feet. “I just want to share the first night of Yuletide with you. If that's bothering you-”

“Here!” she finally said, revealing the hand behind her back. Inside the small hand was a light-blue pouch of smooth fabric. Deanna held it out to the platinum-blonde.
“Deanna – gifts aren't till later in the month.” Selena stated in confusion. “I don't have yours ready yet.”
“It's not a gift.” Deanna stated, her tone flat. “I tried for weeks to get you to talk to me before now because of your 'Christmas Curse' but -”

The nerves that had come and gone were back again, gripping Selena's spine, imploring action as they often did when Selena found herself in danger in the SCW world. Slowly, she reached out to take the pouch from Deanna, immediately feeling something sturdy within it. It took only a second for Selena to pull the pouch strings open and one more second to have the item tumble out of her hand – quick as those seconds were.

The third second – where Selena's eyes gazed at the item... and recognized it... however, felt like a damn eternity. Because, even in the dimly lit room, she recognized the neck. She recognized the crowns. And she sure as hell recognized the bottle cap.

“Recognize it?” Deanna’s question – jagged and sharp in tone – was the only sound as both women stood there. How long Selena gazed into the glass and paper of the Crown Royal shard in her hand – she wasn't entirely sure. Her phone wasn't vibrating or sounding off, which meant that it wasn't as long as she thought it was, but that didn't tell her much.

Gods... was all she could think. That and: She knows...

You didn't even need me to fuck this up, did you?
the voice of Sirus mocked inside the Snow Queen's brain, her sarcastic laugh adding to Selena's panic.

“How...” her voice was timid, weaker than it had been a moment ago when she was demanding truth from Deanna. Which was what Deanna had been wanting all along from me... “Where did you find this?” she settled on asking, finally turning her head to see her wife, holding up the piece of glass and decor to the redhead.

“What?” Deanna asked in surprise. “No denial? No blaming me for drinking red-wine?”

The accusatory tone stung Selena more than she was willing to admit aloud. She took it, remaining silent. There was no running from this now. This was the confrontation she had dreaded back in Halloween. 

The Snow Queen's silence earned a huff from Deanna, who merely reached up to rub her temples. “I found it in your work-room with your trophies.” she explained. “After what we did for Halloween.”

“In my-” Selena started, trying to put the pieces together. She had thrown an empty bottle against the wall months ago and had cleaned the mess entirely, or so she thought – had that shard remained hidden all this time? Apparently so... 

“That's... a relief.” she settled on saying as she paced around the balcony. “I thought I had gathered them all – and I can't bear the thought of something like this-” she held the piece up to Deanna as she continued “- being somewhere the children could get it- HALLOWEEN?!”

The realization hit Selena harder than a kick to the stomach by – well, numerous SCW superstars she had fought in her career. “You've known all this time-”

“Oh my gods – don't you dare turn this around on me, Selena Michelle Frost!” Deanna suddenly exclaimed. “How come you can admit that...thing's...existence so easily now?!”

The question startled and confused Selena but her wife pushed on. “You lied to me! You've been lying to me for... I don't even know how long!”

Even in the dim light, Selena could see the tears welling in Deanna's eyes. “After everything... everything with the NX, with the other painkillers - you made me think that I was poisoning you. That I was risking putting you in danger because I used wine in cooking...”
“Deanna...” Selena tried but a swift hand held up in front of her by Deanna silenced the platinum-blonde. Selena was actually surprised her wife hadn't slapped her in the face.

You certainly deserve it. Sirus chimed in.

“You...” Deanna's voice broke several times as she tried to speak. “When all along... you were drinking... that.” she pointed to the shard in Selena's hand. “How long?”

Selena's jaw tightened. She didn't want to talk about this right now. Not on the first night of Yuletide. This was supposed to be a happy occasion! Of merriment! Like earlier today when the family was finishing decorating the house and planning the Christmas Festival night for the neighbourhood!

“Selena.” came the cold voice of her wife. “Either tell me the truth right now or...” her voice hitched in her throat but her hands tightened into fists as they stayed by her side against the emerald-green nightgown. “Or I will pack my bags right now, take the children and you will return home – maybe with your precious new title – but it will be to an empty house.”

Selena's heart stopped – or it sure as hell felt like it did. Never, no matter how many times she had screwed up had Selena messed up so badly that Deanna had threatened this. It was beyond her beloved wife – it wasn't what two people as in love as they were would say or do! It was... it was...

It was what someone like Anastasia would have done... Selena thought would dread.

“You...You would do that?” she finally asked, the shock in her shaking voice.
“I...” Deanna's voice did not hold the conviction it had from the beginning, nor did her posture. The tears that had welled in her eyes were falling freely now and, every so often, in the silence, Selena would hear the patter of them as they dropped to the floor by her beloved's feet.

What happened next, Selena would look back on and not be able to understand what had prompted her to do it. She certainly had no reason to consider it, but she did consider it and she acted on it. Without thinking, the older Frost simply took the few steps towards Deanna. The redhead, startled, took a step back but Selena quickly closed the distance, wrapping her arms around the smaller woman and pressing her to her form.

“I'm sorry I lied.” she said simply and it was that line that her sapphire eyes allowed her own tears to fall. Tears she had not known she had been holding.

“Why?” came the muffled voice as a pair of small hands clung to Selena's sweater. “How long?” the new question was also muffled, but when Deanna started repeating both questions over and over again, Selena could feel her wife's hands turning to fists to swat at her chest.

“Why? How long? Why? How long?” the questions continued as Deanna's 'assault' and tantrum rained on Selena. The platinum-blonde did not move, nor did she release her embrace of Deanna, even when the strikes stopped and Deanna's words had muddled into sobs. With those sobs being the only noise between them for a few moments, Selena took a shaky breath before speaking.

“Do you remember that night I almost drowned?” she asked, her brain taking a small note over Deanna's shaking form slowing slightly. “Out in the backyard? You pulled me out and you couldn't stop my panic attack? Do you remember what you did?”

No words came from Deanna's lips but, against her chest, Selena could feel her wife's head slowly pick up a quick nodding of sorts – a sign of understanding. 

“That's when it started.” Selena admitted.

There was a deep, long breath that came from Deanna as she slowly, but firmly, pushed herself away from Selena. Her eyes were red and while her shaking was still there, it had slowed. “So...” she sniffled a little and rubbed her eyes. “It was my fault.” she concluded before she began walking back and forth on the balcony. “You know... ever since I found that bottle piece, I was terrified that you would say that. That it was that night that made you start again-”

She stopped for a moment, turning her head back to Selena, in sudden realization. “That night we went to the bar with Jessica, did you drink then, too?”

It took only a moment for Selena to recall the memory and, upon doing so and fearing the consequences of lying, she nodded her head. “Only a little. That's all I've ever had. A little here and there!” she tried to reassure. “Just enough to keep Sirus at bay!” she blurted the last part out.

And mentally cursed herself for doing so.

“Sirus?” Deanna asked. “Sirus - as in Evangeline DeWinter's daughter?” 
“Not...” Selena's words failed her for a moment, the pale-skinned woman closing her eyes to try and recapture them to speak.

Go ahead... dared the ghost in her mind. Tell her about me.

“Not exactly.” Selena settled on saying.
“What does that mean, 'not exactly'?” Deanna asked. “Sirus died, Selena. Evangeline killed her.”

The remark made Selena shake her head, a sarcastic smirk appearing on her face, though she did not mean it to. “You know I never got how you got over that so easily.” she stated, turning to stare down her wife. 
“Get over what?” Deanna asked. “We didn't kill her.”
“Of course we did, Deanna!” Selena all but yelled. “Who was it that lead Evangeline to her? Who was it that revealed her location to her? Who was it that betrayed Nicodemus in doing so?!”

“That isn't fair...” Deanna countered. “We could not have known what Evangeline and Brachiss would do-”
“Brachiss no, but come on, Deanna! Nicodemus warned us what DeWinter had done! We've seen how far she can go! But we did it anyway!”

Deanna opened her mouth to speak but closed it. 

“Face it.” Selena ordered. “We had a silver bullet and we were so eager to use it and rid ourselves of our own problem that we didn't consider how it could all go wrong! If it weren't for us, Sirus would be alive.”
“What? Brain-dead in a nursing home?!”

The remark came from Deanna and both she and Selena were stunned into silence by it, the redhead's hands even flying to her mouth in shock. 

“If it was me in that bed...” asked Selena slowly.
“Don't...” warned Deanna.
“If I were brain-dead...”
“Don't you dare!”
“Would you so easily pull the plug on me-”
“Don't you fucking dare!”
“Would I be so easy for you to dismiss as Sirus?!”

And THERE came the slap Selena had thought would happen earlier, her cheek stinging as her wife refused to hold back as her hand ripped through the air, and though she was shorter than the Snow Queen, Deanna did not cower away, her emerald eyes glaring into Selena's.

“We killed her, Deanna. It's our fault.” Selena stated simply, her voice low in volume.

Despite the facts, Deanna shook her head in disbelief. Perhaps they had inadvertently played a part but to place the blame solely on them for what Evangeline and Brachiss had done? “Is that what you have done all this time? All these months? Blame yourself?”

When Selena refused to answer, Deanna's brain started to click and turn with possibilities. Despite so many opponents of Selena's in SCW taking cheap shots at her – Regan Street even, at one point, trying to give her 'wifely' and 'motherly' advice in dealing with Selena – Deanna was not the dumb, naive woman that those same people pegged her for. And no one – not a soul alive – knew Selena Frost like she did.

“You've been seeing her, haven't you?” she finally asked. “Just like when you lost Elsianna. When you lost Dawn. When you thought you lost me. Your mind created these... ghosts, right?”

Again, nothing but silence came from Selena – which only prompted the redhead to continue.

“And when that night happened and I gave you the bourbon to calm you down – and you realized that it was like medicine-” Deanna's head jerked back to face her wife, her own words sparking something. “That's what it is to you, isn't it? Medicine to keep you functioning?”

“It's...” at last, the Snow Queen spoke. “It's a solution. I'm glad you can understand that-”
“Understand?” came the incredulous response. “Understand?! My god, Selena! You're an addict! You were an alcoholic before I met you! You told me as much and I've seen your need for NX in the past! Why the hell would you risk that again?! And without telling me!!” 

“Because it's not like the other times.” Selena stated firmly. “Because I'm very much in control. I never drink more than a shot. No more than that.”
“Yeah, for now!” Deanna shook her head. “You started only taking one pill of NX when you started, right? Then you had to take two because it wasn't working as well.”
“This isn't physical pain, Deanna-”
“Addiction is still addiction, Selena! Or were you the one that nearly OD'ed on that crap?!”

Again, the Frost wives were at a stalemate at Deanna's blunt response. Neither could use the other's ignorance as a defence. Because both had suffered from the different poisons Selena had brought into their lives because of her job, her family connections and her own demons. Her pain and fear in SCW had brought in the NX that Deanna had almost overdosed on, and now, her pain and blaming herself was bringing in alcohol. Quietly, Deanna thanked the gods that she had no such addiction to that – but that didn't remove her fears for her wife.

“You need to stop.” Deanna stated. “Quit cold turkey. I'll remove all my cooking alcohols and wines so there's no temptation.”
“See?” Selena sighed. “This was why I didn't want to tell you! Because you would take this overboard! You drank more than me when we were at that bar with Jessica!”
“I don't have a prior alcohol addiction problem.” Deanna retorted.
“Oh that's...that's...”
“What?” the redhead offered. “True?”

Selena took a deep breath. “If I want to have a little drink to take the edge off and allow myself to focus, I will do that.” she stated firmly.
“Even if you fall off the wagon completely?”
“That WON'T happen, Deanna! For Odin's sake – I hid it from you since August and if you hadn't found that shard, you'd still not have a clue!”

Deanna seemed to physically recoil at that statement. “You think I didn't suspect? That I'm that dumb?”
“No!” backpedalled Selena. “I'm saying I'm that in control! Why can't you understand that?”
“Because I've seen you lose control, Selena! And it takes so little to do it! But once you have...”

'Cause every time we touch, I get this feeling!
And every time we kiss, I swear I could fly!'

The lyrics to Cascada's 'Everytime We Touch' filled the balcony – the first dance song of Selena and Deanna's wedding, as well as Selena's ringtone. Jerking her head down towards the floor behind her, Selena spied her phone – the screen illuminated against the dark wood of the balcony. Bending down, she scooped the device up to answer the call.

“Eric?”
“Yeah, I'm pulling up.”
“I'll be out in a minute.” she finished briskly, ending the call and stuffing the phone into her pocket before turning her attention to her wife. “So...this was your plan for tonight? First night of Yuletide, put me on the spot...”

Slowly, Selena's words registering in her brain, Deanna slowly shook her head. “Don't pin this on me, Selena. I tried to get you to come clean for a month.”
“Other than outright confront me.”
“Coming from you? Do you have any idea how unfair you sound?” Deanna shot back.
“Yes, I do! But it doesn't make what you planned any less wrong! All I wanted was to share the first night of my holiday with the woman I love, and you took it and did...this...”

“You're the one that kept this secret from me for months! The only reason you're admitting it now is because I caught you.”
“Oh, like how you hid your pregnancy from me until I caught you last year?!”

Check...and mate... Sirus's voice slithered, almost as if she were whispering it behind Selena's ear. Even Deanna, her emotions having shifted from tears to anger to fear back and forth stood there, a look of utter defeat on her face. Perhaps what Selena had used was a low blow but it was no less true. Deanna, like Selena was doing, had hidden something life-changing for months from Selena, even lying about it until Selena had caught her.

Even Deanna was thinking the same as Selena was: How could the redhead claim the moral high ground when she was just as guilty as her wife?

Taking a deep breath, Selena bent down to pick up her wooden box of Yuletide. “I'm going now.” she stated, and marched past Deanna. Her SCW-travel case, the large suitcase with roller-wheels and the arm extension for pulling was at the door, and through the mudroom windows by that door, the Snow Queen could see the bright lights of her tour bus shining outside. 

For a moment, the platinum-blonde wondered about what she should do with her box. Perhaps moreso ego winning out, she simply tucked it under her arm, using her free hand to pull the suitcase arm out. As she turned around, however, possibly to say goodbye to Deanna, she saw no sign of her wife.

Don't leave it like this... her heart told her, finally making its voice known. Christmas Curse be damned – do NOT end things like this! Not just for her, but for you – you will lose so much if you do. Your focus, your heart – please...

Closing her eyes with a sigh, Selena relented to her heart's pleas and walked back the short distance to the doorway to the living room. She saw her wife standing in the kitchen, going through the cupboards. The redhead had already dug out three bottles of various cooking wines, Selena seeing the various colours of red and white, similar to the lights on the Christmas tree.

She tried to speak but could not find the words right away. Instead, she could only watch as Deanna used a corkscrew to open each bottle and pour the contents down the sink. It wasn't long before the smell of wine wafted into Selena's nose, making her feel a little queasy. 

“Deanna...” she finally tried.

The young woman stopped, but kept her back to Selena, not wanting her to see her face.

“I'm...” Gods, this was hard. “I'm going to go win the United States Championship.” she offered lamely.
“Good luck.” muttered Deanna.

Selena thought for a moment, not having a single idea what to say or do. Should she kiss her wife goodbye? Should she apologize?

For a moment, Selena imagined something rather differently. She imagined defeating Bree Lancaster and becoming the United States Champion. Of travelling home as soon as the house shows of that week were done in Jonesboro, Tupelo, and Biloxi – returning home to her children that would love the brand new 'shiny' their mommy brought home – to her wife that would smile and congratulate-

”I will pack my bags right now, take the children and you will return home – maybe with your precious new title – but it will be to an empty house.”

Deanna's earlier threat, one Selena had never heard before from her wife, reared it's ugly head, causing the Snow Queen to grip the doorframe tight until her knuckles had turned an even paler-white. “Deanna... I... please promise me you'll be here when I return on Sunday.”

Little movement was made by Deanna, but Selena saw her wife's hands tighten along the rim of the counter-top, matching her own in colour. She gave no answer.

“Deanna...” Selena begged. “I can't leave if you don't promise me that.”

There was the sound of a shaky sob and Deanna lowered her head a little. “Fine.” the word was a whisper and Selena barely heard it, but the rest was picked up easily. “I promise.”

It made Selena's heart a little lighter and heavier at the same time. Lighter because of the obvious and heavier because she couldn't tell if Deanna was seriously considering leaving her. No...I can't lose her... what's the point of... she stopped the train of thought, refusing to give in to the negative more than she already had tonight. Casting one more look at her wife, Selena sighed.

“Maybe I love you.” she said to Deanna's back.

She was met with silence, and while it didn't surprise her, Selena did feel her heart break into pieces – a pain she had become familiar with her whole life. “I have this under control, Deanna. I promise.”

It was all she could say – all she wanted to say. With a turn, Selena was out the door and out of the house. It wasn't until the bus was moving down the highway to Little Rock that Selena, clutching her wooden box of Yuletide in her hands, allowed her own tears to finish falling as she cried for a few minutes. She cried as she put her box away and she cried as she set up her laptop, webcam and microphone to record her first promo for Breakdown aboard her bus. She cried until she was out of tears, wiping them away with her hands.

I have this under control, Deanna. I promise.

She would not be weak like she had been years ago. She would not be weak like Deanna feared her to be. She was in control – a resolve that allowed her to finish wiping her tears away with authority. Of course, had she of listened to her wife in that kitchen... not left so soon... she would have heard the experienced voice of her beloved...

“Spoken like a true addict...”

[Image: tetXUW1.jpg]

The camera opens up to the Verizon Center Arena in Little Rock, Arkansas – the location for tonight's high-stakes episode of Breakdown. From the immediate first glance, it seems that the SCW crew have finished their setup of the ring, ramp and large screen. A series of white and arctic-blue lights, amidst the empty section of the arena, point downward towards the ring, where a single person is standing there, leaning against the ropes. She is dressed in a maroon shirt, leather jacket, and black jeans and her hair is in its iconic braid as she leans on the ropes, her eyes scanning the empty seats that are in front of her. The shot changes to a closer view of the woman – identified immediately by the viewers as the Face of SCW, herself, - Selena Frost.

I've gone on record and said that tonight is probably one of the biggest nights of my career. She starts, breathing deeply but quietly. It's right up there with the night I became the Adrenaline Champion and the night I won the World Title.

Because those nights, just like tonight, was more than just proving that I'm tough and capable of bringing a fight. It's more than just standing up for my beliefs and desires. It's more than just defending SCW against someone that has a problem with it. All those things can play a f actor but those are nights that I am use to... part of me wishes tonight was more like those. I'd be more in my 'element' of sorts. But like those other two nights, tonight is about proving that I am ready to reach the next step.

Standing up, Selena turns walks further into the ring, pacing inside as the camera follows her.

When I fought Thomas Watson for the Adrenaline championship years ago, it was to prove to the world that I was ready for singles championship. It was to show that I was ready to take that next step that other women like Dawn Lohan, Katie Steward, and countless others had taken before me – earning the top tier championships in what was, for most of its history, a male-dominated wrestling federation. 

And I succeeded.

Then, when I fought Alexis Quinne a few years later at the End of the Year Event for the World title, it was to prove something again, but more to myself. The world believed that I was ready to become World Champion, but... I didn't. This was more than just beating a great competitor like Alexis Quinne – that was something I believed, if I worked hard enough, I could do. No, I didn't believe that I was ready to handle the responsibility of being the World Champion. Of the camera all looking to me and saying “that woman is the best in SCW”. Of being the target of every single wrestler in this amazing company. But I couldn't run away from it – it had become my destiny: the end product of 'The Year of Selena Frost'. I had to at least try and see if I was capable of handling the main-event picture.

And I succeeded.

The Snow Queen stops as she stands in the middle of the ring, looking up at the lights above her.

And now, tonight, here in Little Rock, Arkansas, I have something to prove once again. And, like with the World Title, it's to myself, but like with the Adrenaline Title, it's also to prove something to the world.

A shrug comes from the Snow Queen.

Now, according to the champion – who was so thoughtful to throw us a little video while she was ducking reporters from TMZ – this whole thing that is me has been for show. According to Bree Lancaster, tonight is just about me pining for a title the last couple of months just so I can become 'Supreme Champion'. And according to Bree Lancaster, I don't care about any of you, about the title, or about anything except myself.

A slow inhale and exhale of breath comes from Selena as she leans against one of the four turnbuckles, crossing her arms over her chest.

I don't know whether to feel insulted or flattered by some of that. On one hand, Bree is using the exact same lines – like word for word – that she used against James Evans just last week for Bound by Blood. She declared that James didn't give a damn for Angelica Jones or the tag-team titles. That he was just using Angelica and the tag-team division to become Supreme Champion. Sound familiar? I mean, don't get me wrong – for a man that headlined Rise to Greatness and is now, in fact, a Supreme Champion, the fact that she's using the same promo material now in reference to me? That could definitely flatter me in a certain light.

But then again, the fact that Bree Lancaster thinks of herself so high and mighty that she can reach into her bag of 'old promo' material, dust off the one she just used last week and use it again against me and say that's 'good enough' for a United States Title defence sort of tells you where her mind is at and how she views me. And that, I find insulting.

Selena shakes her head. Once again, Bree, I am going to entertain your logic here. Since you seem to like to use that line so much the last few weeks – 'Supreme Champion' and whatnot. Let's say that I, Selena Frost, want to become a 'Supreme Champion'. she shrugs Why is that so wrong? After she defeated me at Rise to Greatness, Regan declared that she wanted to be Supreme Champion, rebranding herself as 'Big Match Regan'! Is she wrong in doing that? Is she less than you because she wants that status? Amy Chastaine – the woman YOU took out, fought for that status and became the first woman to do so – is she less of a wrestler for doing it? Ravyn Taylor spent months orchestrating a plan of deceit and trickery just so that she could become Supreme Champion.

So many people work so hard throughout their entire careers for the status of becoming Supreme Champion – yet you spit in my face because you think that that is my goal. 'How dare Selena Frost attempt such a feat'. Why, Bree? What makes me different than those before – those women and men – that are attempting the same thing?

You take the over fifteen years of SCW history – and only eight people have become Supreme Champions. Do you know how many women have held that status, Bree? Two. Just two. Two women in fifteen years have achieved the distinction of winning every possible title in their wake. If that were my motivation for fighting you here tonight, it certainly would be enough. To join the ranks of such incredible wrestlers and Hall of Famers. I see Dillusion backstage all the time and I know that he is proud of being a Supreme Champion. Jake Starr? The same. And David Helms? There is no doubt that he views such a feat as a highlight of his career. And to join them? Maybe you laugh at me and curse me and claim this is a selfish goal – but if it were my goal, Bree, it certainly would be worn with pride when I succeed tonight...

But it's not my goal. Not my reason for all of this.

Selena shakes her head, biting her lower lip.You know, for a woman that demanded that I 'check my facts', you sure are making a lot of assumptions about me, proving how little you actually understand what you are up against. I suppose the whole 'ignorance is bliss' concept worked for you up to a point, but I would have thought, after Bound by Blood, you'd understand how easy it is for you to be knocked off that pedestal you've set up for yourself. 

In fact, allow me to prove it by knocking you off it right now.
Selena's sapphire eyes narrow slightly as she glares into the camera. You claim you're the only one out of the two of us who cares about the United States title, am I right? That Bree Lancaster is 'making that title classy' – that's what you said on Twitter and in your last title defence, right? 'Bringing class to the United States title'? 'Make it mean something...'?

Well, aside from that being cliche, I'm going to say what all that is, Bree: Utter crap.

It's crap because every single person in SCW sees the truth of it, and of you. It's the reason you spit on me about not 'earning the title' when you were just handed it by Regan Street. 

It's why you say that you “demanded” the ability to forfeit your shot for the Tag-Team championship – you say you did it for the United States Championship. Yet, when Jason Helms was taken down – suddenly, you were scrambling to keep the match going. You even threw your own work partner – a supposed beloved friend and a non-wrestler into the match, endangering him. 

Tell me, Bree. If you were so ready to 'forfeit' your shot and focus entirely on the United States title, as you said you did - why didn't you forfeit then? Why not just let it happen and the call to end the match be made? Oh, because Jason was no longer in the equation and suddenly, Bree, you could be champion without him – a DUAL champion! With dual championship bonuses!

Twirling her braid with her pale-fingers, Selena shakes her head. 'Bringing class to a title-' what cliched, utter crap – Bree, the truth is that, to you, the United States title was a sweet little consolation prize because you couldn't get the job done earlier this year! You conned and tricked your way through the world title series but when it came to the final match – the championship match – you couldn't deliver. You didn't want it enough to get the win. Then, when SCW – when Mr. D. – the people you claim are part of this massive conspiracy against you – gives you ANOTHER chance to win the title, what happens? You come up short again. 

And do you want to know how I know that so vividly? Because the last time Bree was set to defend the United States title, at Fatal Fortunes, she couldn't stop whining about Jake Starr and how she 'should have been World Champion'. Rather than focus on her title defence, she had to remind us all, just like Syren and Sienna (for most of 2018), that she should be world champion.

A slight laugh comes from the Snow Queen as she suddenly recalls something. I mean – what was it you said on Twitter, Bree? After Bound by Blood? That you were going to crush my dreams and, after that, you were going to demand your rematch for the tag-team championships. And this was BEFORE you went on your phone and recorded yourself telling me that you wanted to put the United States title first – yet you're already clamouring for that second title again...

As she stops the twirling her her hair within her fingers, Selena lowers her hands to look at them, the pale digits before her. But who am I compared to you, Bree? You want championships and those bonuses that come with them so you can 'pay for the services' of Dante and his crew. Who am I compared to that? What's the difference between you and me?

Actually, it's not much...

With a shrug, Selena lifts herself out of the turnbuckle, taking a few steps further into the ring. Because you were right – and you've been right this whole time about something. And at the same time, it's the one thing you've been the most wrong about when it comes to me. Back at Fatal Fortunes, you said that I've been drooling over the title you hold since Regan defeated me at The Future is Now, retaining it in a Falls Count Anywhere match. You also said that this wasn't about me 'saving the championship' or something along those lines.

And you are right: I'm not doing this with some goal like that in mind. I'm not here to 'make SCW believe in the US title again'. I'm not here to 'cleanse it', or 'purify it', or 'save it', or make it 'mainstream', 'classy', 'important' – honestly, you can claim all that, Bree – but the reality is that I am just someone that wants to fight for it and hold that championship. I'm just one wrestler that wants to be part of that belt's history. I'm not the first and I, sure as hell, won't be the last. 

I want to win the championship simply because I want to be the United States Champion. That's it. That's my goal.

So you were definitely right about that. However, what you've been wrong about over and over again is how far I've come to get to this point. How much I've gone through to get here. And it's baffling that, with Sienna in your corner, you never realized this.

I mean... did she even tell you why Regan Street became the United States Champion in the first place?

The question hangs in the air in silence as Selena stands in the middle of the ring.

Regan Street is a world-class competitor, Bree. A main-event level superstar. Why the hell would she target the United States title and not the World title then? Why would she waste six plus months in pursuit for the title you now hold? Know why, Bree? Because, like you, she had a chance at the World title and she came up short. That's right, Hazardous Envy 2017, Regan tried to take the World title from me. And she failed. She couldn't beat me in a straight up wrestling match.

So, do you know what she did instead, Bree? Again, just like you – she settled. She declared that she would go after the United States title for the sole purpose of getting back at me, albeit indirectly. Why? Because the U.S title was a title that Selena Frost had pined for before she became World Champion…

A knowing smile graces the Snow Queen's lips.

But wait a minute! Before she became the World Champion? that's back in 2016 – before she was even close to becoming a Supreme Champion. That's right, Bree. After I won both the Shot of Adrenaline Tournament and the Best of the Best Tournament back to back, I said to the world that I wasn't ready to be world champion. That Regan should be given a shot. Instead, I wanted to challenge for the United States Championship!

Selena looks down at her feet. With the Best of the Best trophy, I stood in an arena, much like this one and I made a promise to the world – a promise to myself – that I was going to take these tournament wins and win that beautiful title of red, white and blue, reaching a new level for my career to earn the right to truly be 'the best of the best'. 

But that... never happened. I became the world champion and thus was written off the board for any consideration for the title that I had promised to win. And I have no regrets for destiny taking me down a different path, but you, Bree, got all hot and bothered because you had to wait a few months to get another shot at the world title and then another few months to get a different championship shot at Rise to Greatness? 

Me? I had to wait over a year to get my first crack at the United States Championship. My first, and only, chance to keep my promise – and it took two women with chairs, tables and a barbwire cat-of-nine-tails to steal that dream from me. And now, here we are, a little over a year since that one chance and... now, finally, I have my second chance to keep my promise.

Lifting her arms, Selena then drops them to her sides. Do you get it now, Bree? Can you actually get off your high-horse and overused cliches and see me for who I am now? You're not facing some months-long ambition for some rare status. You're not facing someone like you that only wants the bonuses and is settling because they can't be the World Champion. I have Trios if I wanted to be World champion, remember? 

No... you're dealing with someone that has waited for two long years for this moment. Two years of that unfulfilled promise nattering away inside her brain, reminding her of her shortcoming. That notion how, even at my best – the Year of Selena Frost, supposedly – and I wasn't good enough to get the title I promised the True-Believers I would get. 

But that's what I have been trying to prove since August, Bree. Sienna, Regan, I imagine even you – you believe my time has come and gone and 2016 – the best Selena Frost could be – is a distant memory. Regan almost had me believe that after Rise to Greatness. Yet Mr. D. and the True-Believers, they believe that my best is still ahead of me. That my best has yet to come.

And I... I believe that as well, Bree.

I believe that now with all my heart, because here I stand, having earned my shot - on the cusp of doing what no Selena Frost, not even in 2016, could  do. Fulfilling that promise and winning the United States Championship. And, as dangerous as you are and as talented as you are, I'm just as dangerous and just as driven as you – because I have no intention to fail and wait another year for a third chance! No way in hell!

Taking a deep breath, the Snow Queen calms her heart in order to speak again. Tonight, Bree, I put an end to all those 'nevers' and I fulfill my two-year promise. I prove that I am better than I have been in the past, even compared to the great 'Year of Selena Frost'. Tonight, I become the United States Champion.

And you can cry on the shoulders of Beauty Network after that. You can swear 'rematch' all you want on Twitter and repeat every cliche line you have left as you steal my catchphrases. But you will NOT be leaving Arkansas with that belt. And it won't be because of some conspiracy. It won't be because of some 'grand plan' by Mr. D.. It will be just like Bound by Blood. It will be because someone wanted the belt far more than you did. 

Not for SCW.
Not for some status...
But just for me... For Selena Frost.

What else can I say other than…Believe it, Bree.

The camera fades on the Snow Queen standing in the ring, a smile gracing her lips as it all goes to black.
OOC: And here we go~! Appearances with approval. Consider not one but two triggers pulled. This will be fun going forward. Promo filmed sometime today. Good luck!
--------------------------------

Breakdown 12-5-18 #2