Jaxton Matthews vs. Marie Caedes
Jaxton Matthews vs. Marie Caedes
New Talent Spotlight

2 RP Limit; no word limits
Deadline: 11:59:59 pm ET Sunday, November 7, 2021
Smile 
Off Camera

Savannah, Georgia October 28, 2021

Marie walks in the house after her run, and can hear voices coming from the den. She’d been avoiding talking to her parents about something but the time had come that it was either she talked to them, or they found out from a third party about what she was thinking. She had confided in her cousin, and Brian had promised that neither Lynn or Ron would find out but Marie knew if Brian mentioned it to his dad, his dad might tell one of his uncles….and it would get to Lynn. Marie knows her mom would come unglued, thinking that Marie was trying to go places that Lynn wouldn't be sure Marie was ready for. But Marie reminds herself she’s not 17 anymore. She’s 20 years old, old enough to make adult decisions and all her mom can do is suggest. 

Marie shuts the door and then decides to get it over with, and as she walks into the den, Lynn is laying on the couch watching some show that Marie doesn't take the time to acknowledge. Lynn looks at Marie and mutes the TV. 

Lynn: How was the run? 

Marie: I did two miles, I think I’m done running today. I’m gonna work with the weights later today. Decided I eed to eat so I dont pass out. 

She stands there, shifting her weight as Lynn waits patiently. 

Lynn: Anything else? 

Marie: Can I talk to you about something? 

Lynn: Since when do you ask that type of thing? You know you can. D

Marie comes and sits in the chair as Lynn sits up on the couch. Marie plays with the end of her ponytail, her auburn hair nearly the same color as Lynn’s. Marie is doing it so that maybe she can say what's going on. Finally she looks at her mom. 

Marie: You never said a word about me losing to Spencer. 

Lynn shrugs. 

Lynn: What's there to say? The kid has some talent, reminds me alot of someone I know….that WE know, we being you, your dad, me...But if you think I’m disappointed I’m not. You did really well out there, and there’s no reason you should hang your head in shame. 

Marie: But sometimes I feel like….that what YOU had done by the time you were my age is so much more than I have so far. 

Lynn: Things were different when I was your age, plus well….I started with my back against the wall. I know you’ve heard the stories, and I know even my father told you how long we went without uttering a word to each other. Honestly it's part of why I let you choose your own path. Now you know the crap that happened….

Marie: Yeah that was pretty stupid. I was just so excited when Grandpa said he would sign for me, and I could start wrestling, and then I got the chance and….should I have waited? Yeah probably. 

Lynn: Lets just say you did no one any favors, yourself especially, but how do you learn from mistakes unless you make the mistakes. 

Marie: Reading fortune cookies lately? 

Lynn: Just I didn't want either you or Emily trying things my way. 

Marie takes a deep breath,the time to drop the bombshell, something that could destroy the mother-daughter relationship. 

Marie: I want to go to New Orleans. 

Lynn: Are you sure? I mean aren't they back under tons of requirements? I mean is it safe?

Marie: Mom, it's not like that at all. Only place you got to wear a mask is like the hospital or doctor. I just have to prove that I’m fully vaccinated. 

Lynn: But why visit New Orleans now? Why this urge to travel? You know you will get to the point you’ll be sick of the travel. It's a huge reason why I’ve never pushed you to get your place. Why pay rent if you’re never in itj? 

Marie looks at her mom, wishing in her mind that dear mom would shut up for a minute. Suddenly Marie realizes her mom is looking at her. 

Marie: I um…..can you repeat that? 

Lynn: What's your real reason for going there? 

Here it came, ready or not

Marie: Well….I’ve been thinking of it since even before I had taken on Spencer, there's a place that I’m interested in that's there. 

Lynn: Do you think you’re ready to work for two companies? Honey…..

Marie: It's not another federation. 

Marie thinks her mom is now being dense. Could her mom really believe that was the question? 

Lynn: I have a sneaky feeling I know what you’re going to say, but YOU have to say it. 

Marie; Well its where….its….its where Spencer trains. 

Lynn leans back and looks at Marie, who is wishing she could just bolt from the room. But she stays put as Lynn seems to suddenly be fading away into her own mind. But Lynn’s next words are a surprise. 

Lynn: I know Amy has a place there. 

Marie: You do??

Lynn: I don't live in a cocoon, yes I know. 

Marie: I just want to go take a look around, see ….please don't get me wrong. My family has been awesome, once I quit being a brat, you, Cam, Emily, ….even Dad. You’ve all been awesome but you always said trainers are like paintings. Two people can see the same one, and have different opinions, and both opinions are correct. 

Lynn: Well I’m glad something sunk in. 

Marie: I know you gave Amy her break, and you….in a way helped to make her who she is and…..

Lynn: And you think I’ll say no? 

Marie: Yeah, sorta. 

Sorta what? 

Marie turns around as Ron walks into the room. She watches him go over and drop papers on the desk and then turns to look at her. Marie was happy to finally be able to have her father in her life, even if all these years there were times he still made her intimidating. He comes and sits down next to Lynn and looks at his only child. 

Ron: You were saying?

Marie looks at Lynn, who’s nodding her head yes. 

Marie: I want to go to New Orleans and see Amy Ch….Lancaster’s facility and see where it goes. 

Ron: Getting a new perspective type thing? 

Marie: And?

Ron: You driving, you flying, walking...how are you planning on traveling? 

Marie: Wait, you’re BOTH ok with this? 

Ron: Why wouldn't we be? 

Marie: But Mom and Amy and…….

Lynn stands up and stretches, then walks over to the window that overlooks the backyard. Finally she looks at Marie. 

Lynn: I’d be lying if I said there was never a time I didn't wish she’d drop dead, but that was a very, very long time ago. Since then we’ve both grown, both become world caliber athletes, had kids, retired. You forget Marie, Amy and I apologized to each other many years ago. If it's what you want to do, then why should I stop you. I’d rather you go, knowing I fully support you, rather than you going after I lost my cool, said over my dead body, nasty words are thrown back and forth. We don't talk…..for what will feel like forever. Some tragedy will bring us back together. I did all that. Once was more than plenty for me. 

Marie: But when Emily…..

Lynn: Your sister and I were totally different. And yes at the beginning I made that almost fatal mistake and it took Chris reminding me of what I did to my dad that made me stop, apologize to Emily, and let Emily make her own decisions. 

Ron squirms at the mention of someone, but he holds his tongue, focusing on his own daughter But he seems to get Lynn’s meaning. 

Ron: Marie, when do you want to go? 

Marie: Well I was thinking about the next couple of days. But I might not be home before the pay per view. AlthoughI might be getting ahead of myself, cause I don't even know if I’ll have a match. 

Ron: One step at a time. What is the name of the pay per view? 

Marie: Apocalypse. 

Ron and Lynn share a look. Lynn is the first one to say something. 

Lynn: Apocalypse? Swell, just what we need for this family again. 

Marie: Mom, that was different place, different time and…..when you and Dad

Ron: We're Not talking. But you’re right about place and time. Just stirs up some memories that neither of us really likes. Now, how soon you want to leave? 

Marie: Well I have to call and see, but if possible tomorrow morning?

Ron: I’ll have your mom call the airport, you can take the plane. 

Marie: Don't you think the others are going to talk when they hear I arrived by private jet? 

Ron snorts: Let them think whatever. We’ll make sure there's a rental car waiting for you, let us know what hotel you want to stay at. Take maybe an hour, if that long. 

Marie stands up, and then watches Ron reach his full over seven foot height. He reaches out and pulls his daughter to him, hugging her tightly. She then looks at Lynn, who looks like she’s miles away. Marie walks over to her, and Lynn looks at Marie, and Marie knows her mom is worried, but then her mom worried about all of them when they weren't home. For years she’d been happy but not truly happy, not since her marriage to…..

Marie: You didn't chase him away. 

Lynn: Just promise me you’ll be careful. I don't mean Amy, I’d trust her with a newborn kitten to a grizzly bear ready to tear your limbs off. She’s the least of my worries, besides Will, you’re my baby. I know what you’ve been through and you’re right, you need a different perspective. Just promise me something. 

Marie: What's that? 

Lynn: You’ll call. 

Marie hugs her mom tightly, knowing that her mom is hurting on the inside, no matter what she says. But Marie can also sense that Lynn would trust Amy with her life, and that's what Lynn was doing, silently asking Amy to watch out for Marie. 

New Orleans, Louisiana November 3, 2021

Marie stands outside the building and is staring at it, trying to tell the butterflies in her stomach that at the moment felt like they were as big as houses, to settle down, that she could do this. She takes a deep breath and opens the door and walks in, admiring what she sees. There are people scattered here and there. The reception desk is straight ahead and Marie decides it’s probably best she get to the point before someone asks who she is, and what is she doing there. She walks up, puts on her most confident smile as the pleasant looking receptionist looks up at her.

Receptionist: Hello, welcome to BlackOut Academy. Is there something I can help you with?

Marie: Yes, I’m here to see Amy ….(Marie’s mind goes nearly blank) um...

Receptionist: Miss Chastaine? 

Marie: Yes, thank you. Guess my nerves are getting to me.

Receptionist picks up the phone. 

Receptionist: There's a young lady down here who would like to talk to you. Her name?

Now it was time for the receptionist to sound like her mind had joined Marie’s. She looks up.

Marie: Marie Caedes.

Receptionist: Marie Caedes. Ok I’ll let her know. (receptionist sets the phone down). Miss Chastaine will be down in just a moment. Would you like to take a seat, or look around?

Marie knows if she sits down, she might completely lose her nerve so she decides to poke around.

Receptionist: No problem. If you have any questions while you wait, I’ll be more than happy to help.

Marie walks around as if she’s been in plenty of training rooms in her life, and truth was she had been in her fair share thanks to her parents. Everything seems  up to date and well cared for. No torn leather, no super squeaky weight, and Marie is impressed. The last place she had considered seemed fine on the outside but once a person made it inside they knew it was a mistake between the trash on the floor and the smell of urine mixing with the smell of sweat. Not here….everything was shining and yes a tiny whiff of sweat smell was evident but it was not intrusive. Maybe things would be bad here

Hello Marie.

Marie turns around and sees Amy coming towards her. Amy holds out her hand and Marie shakes it.

Amy: So I see you took me on my offer.

Marie: Yeah, and it all looks great so far. Very nice place.

Amy looks perplexed at Marie. Suddenly Marie seems a lot younger than 20 and then it dawns on Amy, Marie’s never had this type of experience. The young lady who was ready to get in that ring…

Marie: Yeah, that answer is yes.

Amy: Let me guess, your granddad has a wrestling ring in his basement.

Marie: Not anymore. He had one in the shed out back but he sold off all the stuff. But that's where I learned. I mean when it's you and six of your kids who want to be wrestlers, it makes sense.

They walk around the large gym area, not intruding on anyone, but more of Amy letting Marie see that Amy was serious about what she was doing. The butterflies in Marie’s stomach seem to have turned her into a motor mouth.

Marie: And then you have me and my cousins, even my sister and ….don’t get me wrong, I love Savannah but there you say the name Brewster in a room of a hundred people and seventy five percent are going to know at least one member of the family. That and not that my folks, especially my mom, didn't train me well, just I need a fresh view on things. Does that make any sense, like at all?

Amy: It makes perfect sense. I believe you can take a simple wrestling move, ask six people to execute it, and end up with six variations that all achieve the end result in their way. So would you like to see upstairs?

Marie: Sure.

Marie follows Amy up the stairs that leads to the Academy itself. Marie was seeing what she had been expecting but didn't want to be nosy as to where to find it. There are a couple groups of people of varying ages, but the majority seem they are most likely around her age. There were also a few trainers present that looked familiar to Marie. Before her stands a ring where a group of five are talking. Marie just stares as if this was her first time near a ring and then Amy realizes just HOW nervous Marie is.

Amy: Hey, it's ok.

Marie: I guess….

Amy: Please don't tell me your mom objected to you coming here? Or that your dad...?

Marie: No, in fact they were way more ok with it than I would have ever expected. And I know I got out there, and I know I got talent but…..I feel like my whole family is stuck and they all do things more or less exactly like each other. This is a bit scary for me.

Amy: I realize I might be asking for trouble by asking.... What did your mom say?

Marie: She said it's all done and gone, and that she really respects you and that if I had a chance to have you work on some things with me, that I should take it.

Amy: Anything about our pasts?

Marie: Only thing she said was, well that there were things she should have never said or done that involved you. She has mad respect for you. My uncle said jump at the chance.

Amy: Let me guess….Steve?

Marie laughs: Yeah. I’m not even sure, with the exception being Alzy, that they even know your name. They’re all sorta out of touch now that they’re retired and all doing their own things. Which is yet another reason I want to expand things. It's like Mom has her own ways, and I’m not sure they even know some of the major names these days.

Amy: Well as you see, we do take it seriously here, and I’ve watched you. You have a great deal of raw talent, it just needs to be finessed, so you can take charge of your own career. Now, are you interested in me continuing?

Marie glances around as everyone in the room has taken notice of her, some more than others and she realizes why…. because she’s not sure she could name them all, but they had been in the hallways around the locker rooms. She tries to look more confident than she’s definitely feeling. Finally she remembers the question.

Marie: I’m sorry, I... am. Please continue.

They start to slowly walk around the room, seeing what people are doing as Amy continues.

Amy: Well I guess my first question would be, if you decide to enroll here, would you be working out of Savannah, or are you willing to move here?

Marie: Be better for me if I lived here. And housing isn't an issue cause I’m pretty sure my dad has rented a place and had it furnished in the hour we’ve been talking.

Amy lets out a laugh: That sounds like him. I admit I've only met him a handful of times, but if the way he is with your mom is any indication, I can guess he’s going to take care of his daughter.

Marie: And then some. What else?

Amy: Well, if you're willing to move here, you'll definitely get more out of training as you'll be able to attend more often. This is a little different than most other wrestling schools, we're not going to push you or force you, you have to want it. How much you learn depends on what you put in. Every trainer here is very experienced and tough, in their own way. If any one of us sees something off, we'll call it out. We don't pull punches here. There might be times when you want to tell me, or one of them, to go to hell, but that's what you’ll be paying for, to point out exactly where you’re being sloppy.

Marie: That makes sense. I know that you’ll probably watch some of my first matches ever. I look at them now and wonder what in the world was I thinking, never mind doing.

Amy grins: I've already done that. We don't accept everyone who walks in the door. I'm not here to make money, I'm here to help prepare the next generation for success.

Marie: Is that why you've also managed people who've trained here. Like Spencer, and I looked up some of your work since opening this place and saw you with a girl named Kelsai.

Amy: Partially. Quite a few students from here have gone on to sign contracts, I've only managed those who went to SCW, and asked for my help. Is that something you're interested in?

Marie starts to open her mouth to tell Amy what she was feeling when across the room she sees Spencer Pryce standing there talking to a woman and man, the woman saying something that had made Spencer smile. Their eyes meet and a smile crosses his face and he nods towards Marie, who has returned the smile. Spencer seems to look right past Marie, and turns back to his companions. Marie turns, knowing who he was looking at, and Amy is frowning at Spencer, trying to remind Spencer of something. However Marie pretends she’s admiring the skyline outside the windows and that she’s oblivious to whatever Amy was frowning about.

Marie: Um... maybe. I'd like to just get started here first and go from there.

Amy: Sounds good. So, you're in?

Marie nods, still aware that Spencer is watching them.

Marie: Well, I think I need to call my mom and tell her I’m moving to New Orleans for now.

• Amy:
    Then let’s go to my office and go over paperwork and details, and you can tell me just how hard you want to work.

On Camera

The camera opens to see Marie Caedes looking out her suite at the Ritz-Carlton hotel in New Orleans. She’s watching the people below walking by for a moment, then sighs, and returns to her chair that was facing the TV. She picks up the remote and pushes a button, and the camera can see it's a wrestling match. She watches it, stopping to rewind until a few moments later she tosses the remote at the table in front of her, and she leans back, a look of frustration in her eyes. 

Jaxton Matthews...seems that I’m not the newest person to SCW in this match. I looked, or more like hunted down anything I could find that you had been involved in and eventually my determination was rewarded. But I’ve watched you in your previous matches for other companies and my first question is…..why SCW? What do you have to offer here? 

I looked over all your information, your height, weight, your moves, you get my point. And I realize there is something in you that most people will be telling me to watch out for, but I’m already ahead of them because probably the only way you will get a win over me is simple. By becoming perhaps what you dislike. But let's start at the beginning. Height wise you’re four inches taller, so that's pretty much a wash. Weight, you have me there, I realize I’m a lot lighter than you and that I know that could be a huge part of our match. Your strengths are indeed the opposite of mine. You seem like the type who will use brute power to get a win, but what I have is quickness, aerial ability. You can't catch what you can't see, and it will take everything I have to take you down, but I’m getting ahead of myself here. 

I get the impression Jaxton that you might feel your life was going well and one day it slowly started to change. I get that, it happens. But why is it so bitter? Even if things didn't necessarily go the way you wanted. I know I’ve had that happen, but I didn't let the feeling eat away at me from the inside out. I learned to take the hurt and turn it around, and let it help mold me to where I am today. I know a bit about you, but I’m not going to sit here and rip your personal life apart in front of the world. There’s no  use in that except to make you mad, make it one of the worst parts of your life. But there is little to gain in playing games like that. 

In fact at one time, in fact when I was first starting to wrestle I was called the brat, or evren closer to the heart, the rich brat. And I let a few people calling me that go right to my head and instead of proving them wrong I absorbed it and when I look back I cringe. I don't want that to be how people remembered me. Heaven knows I provided lots of reasons to call me that, so I get how to let the negative over. I would think, based on the bits and pieces I know of you, you would rise above it, prove people wrong. This match I’m going to show you why you can’t let it consume you. But I also know that hating what people say about you when you do become that person can make one feel even worse, like they have to do beyond that and you spiral into the darkest of places. If that’s where you want to live, think Jaxton that’s your business. But I can see you letting that darkness in your heart take over your mind and because of it, as a wrestler, it makes you sloppy, you don't pay attention, and then Jaxton you become one simple thing. 

A liability. 

Ok liability may be a bit strong, but you become a danger to me, and to any of your future opponents because there is hating the monster you’ve become and letting it put the force of your nature into your wrestling, it can cause you to pass a line where no way, and no one, cn keep you from giving it exactly wants. Ask yourself, are you ready to make that payment, are you ready to wholly engulf it. I can’t answer the question, only you can. 

Marie stretches and laces her fingers together behind her head, thinking about the silent man she had yet to fully see wrestle. 

My job Jaxton is simple, to take that darkness you’re feeling and, in a way, use it to my advantage. It's a simple, yet complex, thing, and something I’m not afraid to do. Maybe if I beat you so badly that when you wake up you wonder what in the hell it is you, and it will be me, but it wont. It will be two sides of a coin, and you can't either way. 

And look at the name of this show….Apocalypse. I know it's a common name, and it means the ending, but that can also be something bad turned into something good. Apocalypse means the ending….but it's also a beginning, it's a genesis of the next phase. It's something that deals with humanity, whether we are talking just of ourselves, or if we’re talking good versus evil, the idea can be expanded beyond our universe or it can be reduced to the size it can sit on the top of a pin. For me, humanity will be the here and now. One of us will be a drop of rain that comes to sooth, and one of us will be a needle in the hay. I plan on being that drop of rain….

You’re about to become the needle in the hay, to be left behind, lost…..

Think about it Jaxton, will this be your apocalypse? Will this be your ending….or your beginning? For me, it's the start of the next step in this business, and in my life. I don't intend to become some name that people ask whatever happened. Jaxton, you seem ready to be the one people forget. 

Marie stands up, and grabs at the remote on the table. 

Your career….is about to be destroyed. 

Camera fades to black. 
***EDITED FOR CODING ERRORS....I think I got them all!