Owen Lee vs. Samuel Davis
2 RP Limit for singles

3500 word max per RP

Deadline: 11:59:59 pm ET Thursday, September 15, 2022
[Image: MKl96W9.png]

[Image: bcywcYD.jpg]
I love AJ Allmendinger.
3rd August 2022 - Los Angeles

Rise to Greatness was now in the record books, and in Owen’s rear-view mirror. It seemed like since he had returned to the company, this was all he had built towards, and now he was looking forward to the new season with a lot of anticipation even if the events at Rise to Greatness hadn’t gone as well as he intended. He’d lost, and for that he was gutted, but in defeat he’d sent a message via one of the most technically proficient wrestlers in the world. That message being, that Owen wouldn’t just sit back and be pushed around by anyone and would walk into the hornet’s nest and play anyone at their own game, at any time. He wasn’t the United States Champion, a title he wasn’t finished chasing, not yet anyways, but even though he’d been defeated, his stock was still as high as it had ever been. This season would be his, armed with all the experience he had accumulated since he returned.

But right now, it was all about the break that followed the biggest show of the year, a chance for the entire roster to recharge, spend time with family and generally forget about wrestling even for just a little while. Although it wasn’t about letting yourself go, Owen had still found himself in the gym most days, he had found time to relax. But more importantly, with him came good news, good news he was currently telling his Mom Kloe.

Kloe: That’s amazing, I knew the two of you would work it out.

She throws her arms around Jennifer, who accepts the hug gratefully.

Jennifer: Glad you were certain; we weren’t so sure.

Owen: Yeah, I’m a lucky guy.

Owen turns to Jennifer and smiles, his now fiancée returning the favor.

Kloe: I hate to dampen the mood some, but how did your mom and dad take it Jennifer?

Jennifer: Through gritted teeth, I think. But they have accepted that Owen is the one I want to spend my life with, and they haven’t said that they won’t be at the wedding, so I guess that’s progress. Dad seems ok with it all, he gave his permission and everything, but you know how stubborn Mom can be?

Kloe: Yeah, Regan is indeed one in a million.

Jennifer: But she says she wants me to be happy, and Owen makes me happy so…

Owen: I just need to make sure I’m on my best behavior from here on in. I’ll grind her down eventually.

Jennifer: You won’t have to; she’ll see it eventually. It’s not like she’s always been the model human being or hasn’t made any mistakes. Deep down she knows that.

Owen: I have a lot to thank Rachel for that’s for sure.

Kloe: Rachel?

Owen: Tatum Lee… she spoke to Regan on my behalf. She’s one of the people other than Dave that Regan will listen to.

Kloe: Well, I for one am glad she did. I’ve always believed the two of you should be together. You’re made for each other just like Orlando and I were…

Kloe seems to check herself, realizing that she had mentioned his name, Owen picking up on it immediately.

Owen: Don’t worry Mom, I’m over that stuff now. Had a good long talk with myself and realized that he was only trying to do what was best for me. Still think you should have both told me, but I can see the reasons why. I’m not in the same place I was a year ago.

Kloe: Soooo, can we call you Owen Cruze again?

Owen laughs, Jennifer taking his hand.

Owen: I’ve always been a Cruze Mom, that never changed not really. How’s about we just call ‘Lee’ a stage name huh and leave it at that? Then in the future, who knows maybe I’ll be bigger than both Shaun and Orlando and I won’t consider myself forever in their shadow and won’t have this massive legacy to have to live up to every single day.

Jennifer: But I will be taking the Cruze name Kloe, don’t worry. Owen and I have already discussed that.

Kloe: Good, and I’m glad you’re back on track Owen, there were a lot of people worried about you. Me included.

Owen: I know Mom, and I’m sorry. But I’ve learned from it I promise, and I’ve grown up. I’ve no regrets going through all that because of where I am right now. Life’s amazing, and I wouldn’t have been able to say that only six months ago.

There was no doubt that before Daisy had taken him aside and away from the world, Owen had been hurtling towards and oblivion from which he may not have ever recovered. Even when she had intervened, it was by no means a certainty that he would come back to a place where he was stronger than he ever was before. He knew that he owed Daisy his life, and that was a debt that he would never be able to repay.

Kloe: So, when’s the wedding then? Give me some details.

Owen: Steady on, we’ve not had chance to come up for air yet. We’re still in the process of telling people.

Kloe: You must have a date in mind surely?

Jennifer: No, seriously we haven’t. We’re just processing it.

Kloe: But you’re going to have a massive wedding, right? You’re not one of these couples that wants a private affair with only a few people?

Owen: Now that, we can answer.

Jennifer: Since I was a little girl I’ve always dreamed of my perfect wedding. A white wedding of course, with a horse drawn carriage and all my family and friends joining in with the celebration in a huge house, a stately home or something like you see on Bridgeton.

Kloe: It sounds very grand. Love it.

Owen: She deserves it after all she’s been through. I feel like I owe her that.

Jennifer: Which I’ve told him he owes me nothing and he’s being an idiot… but I’ll take the wedding anyways.

Kloe and Jennifer both laugh, Owen rolling his eyes.

Owen: It wouldn’t have mattered either way, private or not. I would still have made it the most special day of our lives. I wasted a year by being a prick, and I’m not going to waste another single second.

Kloe: So whatever Jennifer wants, Jennifer gets?

Now it is Owen’s turn to laugh.

Owen: Pretty much. Yes.

Jennifer gives him a kiss on the cheek, linking arms with him.

Kloe: We should go out and celebrate, somewhere flash… my treat.

Owen: You don’t have to do that.

Kloe: No, I do, it’s not every day you’re eldest gets engaged, is it? And if you haven’t already, make sure you tell Ruby. She’s a nightmare for knowing everything going on, she’ll kick off if she’s kept in the dark in this one.

Jennifer: We can ask her to be a bridesmaid at the same time Owen

Owen: Now that sounds like a plan. OK, we can go celebrate Mom, and I’ll ring her up on facetime. But I’m telling you now, I’m going to find the most expensive place that’s open. Only the best for Jennifer remember…

Owen laughs, Kloe doing the same. It was clear that Kloe was on board, as would Taylor be. By the time this day was through, thoughts could legitimately turn to when.

6th August 2022 - New York City

Everyone was now informed of the engagement, and almost everyone had congratulated them. Owen had expected a little cynicism but in the main everyone was happy for them and wished them well. The one overriding question was when, and it was a question that neither could truthfully answer, and something that they hadn’t discussed. Jennifer had mentioned wanting a white wedding, and so therefore with that they would need the weather to be at the very least warm. Owen had first thought of December the 8th. The date of Orlando’s birthday. The reason he had thought of this date was due to his mental state changing with regards to the man he once again had no problems calling his father. With that change, he’d now inherited a certain amount of guilt over how he had treated Orlando and the family name. He wanted to pay back that disrespect, but he wasn’t sure if Jennifer would go for it, especially as it would be Winter, so he’d let it go, her happiness more important. Now however he had left Jennifer in Los Angeles. The two of them deciding that if Jennifer involved Regan in the wedding preparations early doors, she would be on board with this a lot more quickly. Owen however didn’t want the post Rise to Greatness break to go by without him checking in on the Gym, which he’d heard great things about but wanted to see for himself. As he steps into the gym he is immediately greeted with that familiar smell. The smell of desire, hard work and determination that he knew Jason King and Willow Wilkes were instilling in all the students. No sooner as he stepped into the premises does Finch, who Owen had put in charge of the gym, step up to him, a look of worry on his face.

Finch: You heard then?

Owen: Huh?

Owen was immediately confused, and more than a little concerned that something was wrong.

Finch: You here about Reed yeah?

Owen: No, I’m here because I’ve got some time off and I wanted to check in.

Finch: Oh, err, forget I said anything then.

Owen tilts his head to one side, almost admonishing his friend.

Owen: Finch, what’s going on?

Finch obviously doesn’t want to say but realizes that he doesn’t have any choice.

Owen: Finch?

Finch: OK, OK. We had a little issue between Reed and a couple of the students. Brothers took exception to Reed and were taking the piss out of him. Ended up coming to blows, no biggie though, it’s sorted now.

Owen: Shit.

Finch: Had a word with all three, reminded them of their responsibilities to this place and left it at that. It’s been all quiet since.

Owen: And is Reed ok?

Finch burst out laughing, which causes Owen to scowl.

Owen: Something funny?

Finch: Yeah, really funny actually.

Owen: OK I’m intrigued, how so?

Finch: Reed sparked the two of them out bro, Willow saw it all, Jason too… say they’ve never seen anything like it. The students never stood a chance.

Owen: I don’t understand.

Finch: Bro got some street fighting shit going on. Packs a real punch. You don’t believe me, speak to Jason or Willow, they’ll tell you. If you’re listening to me, I’d sign him up to the school and get him training. You could have a star on your hands.

Owen: Really?

Finch: Speak with the Kings bro, don’t take my word for it.

Owen: I’ll do that… any other news? Perhaps something a little positive perhaps.

Finch: We got six people off the streets now doing work around the place, got a couple of others we are expecting in over the next couple of days once their time at the hostel runs out. You’re doing good brother; you should be proud. We all should be.

Owen: Nice one…

Owen see’s Jason come from out of the washrooms, and so with a nod of thanks towards Finch, he makes his way over.

Owen: Jason…

Jason King turns and greets Owen with a fist bump that Owen reciprocates.

Jason: Hey boss, tough break at Rise to Greatness. Thought you had him.

Owen: Cheers man… well at least nothing did break and I’m still in one piece.

They both laugh, though Owen was only half-joking. Josh had no doubt wanted to finish Owen, but at least he’d not succeeded in that.

Jason: So, what’s next?

Owen: Who knows bro, that’s not up to me. But I learned a lot, and I hope I answered at least a few of Hudson’s doubts about me.

Jason: Sure, you did

Owen: Either way, tapping out at Rise to Greatness isn’t a good look. I’m not walking away now with that being my final act.

Jason nods, totally agreeing with Owen. It was a tough one to take no doubt, but this feeling he felt right now was one he would use in the future. Owen in this moment promises himself he would never feel this way again. He then moves to change the subject to what Finch had just told him.

Owen: I hear we had a little altercation the other day and you saw it all

Jason: Finch been flapping his gums again huh? We agreed to keep it under wraps, didn’t want to worry you.

Owen: I got what Finch says, thought I’d get it from the horse’s mouth so to speak.

Jason: Nothing much to say really. Willow and I were training a couple of the students, Zak, and Tyler, and they saw Reed carrying some of the laundry to the laundry room. Zak said something about washing his jock strap and Reed heard.

Owen: Never saw Reed as the violent type. But I guess he is from the streets.

Jason: This wasn’t a fit of rage, or the red mist coming down though. I don’t want you to think Reed lost it or anything. He just climbed in the ring, and I think he just wanted to have it out with them, talk it through. But then Tyler backed up Zak and the next thing both are flat out in the middle of the ring. They never knew what hit them. This is two of our best students and Reed sparked them out with what seemed like very little effort.

Owen doesn’t answer, the cogs in his brain already turning.

Jason: Something wrong bro… I mean if we didn’t handle it right tell me. I just thought having a word would be enough.

Owen: For sure mate, no issues there. It was just something Finch said.

Jason: Oh?

Owen: Finch reckons we should put him on a program, see what he can do.

Jason: To wrestle? He wouldn’t be able to afford the fees, would he?

Owen: My Dad used to give out a scholarship every year from ICON, maybe we could do the same. But do you think he could hack it?

Jason: Reed?

Owen: Yeah

Jason: I don’t know Owen. He’s got all the power in the world, but the punches, they came from a raw place, there was very little technique. A proper fully trained wrestler would have had no problem coming up with a counter… these are just kids.

Owen: Much like my dad when he started out hey?

Jason smirks, seeing where Owen was coming from.

Owen: And he turned out ok don’t you think?

Jason smirks some more, nodding his head in agreement.

Owen: Until Dad was trained by Desolation, power was all he had too, but he still managed to win a World Championship. Yes, he evolved, but he didn’t have the benefits that Reed has, living above a wrestling school. You say he never showed any anger?

Jason: None, he was perfectly calm. Calmer than I would have been that’s for sure.

Owen: So, he’s got the mentality, and he’s got the power… technique we can teach him… especially when he would have such good teachers as you and Willow.

Jason: You’re really going to do this aren’t you?

Owen: I met a guy like Reed in London, down on his luck and without a purpose. I gave that guy a purpose and in doing so he found he way back to his family and now he’s doing well for himself. Reed’s been treading water now for so long, I firmly believe all he needs is something to aim for. If you think you can teach him, I’m more than willing to cover the costs. Dude could be our first success story, and what a story that would be. It's all on you and Willow Jason, do you think you can do something with him?

At that point Willow walks up and joins her husband.

Willow: Did I hear my name mentioned?

Jason: Owen was asking if we think we can turn Reed into a wrestler?

Willow: Reed? The kid with the iron fists?

Jason: One and the same.

Willow: Anyone that can hit like that, and the individual stays hit… yeah, we can train him. I mean, me and Jason are like the best trainers ever and could train a lump of cheese to be World Champion…

Jason: That’s a slight exaggeration love.

Willow: I know, but you get my point. Has anyone asked him if he wants to train though? I mean, the business isn’t for everyone.

Jason: No, but we could ask him, he’s just over there.

Owen see’s Reed and shouts him over, Reed immediately looking sheepish. When he arrives, Owen is the first to talk.

Owen: I hear you’ve been beating up my students.

Reed: I’m so sorry… I didn’t let people talk to me like that on the streets, I guess it’s still engrained in me.

Owen holds up his hand.

Owen: Right now, it doesn’t matter. Never look back right, always about looking forwards. Right Jason?

Jason: For sure.

Owen: These two have made their fair share of mistakes, and yet here they are training the future generation. Things don’t always work out the way you thought they would.

Reed: It won’t happen again.

Owen: Maybe, maybe not, but right now that isn’t my concern. What I want to know is how you feel about putting that power to good use?

Reed: Do you need me to move some of the weights around?

Owen: No, I want to know how you’d feel about becoming a student, on a scholarship that I’d provide. At no cost to you. You’d train with the rest of the students and be treated the same. Only difference is you’d live on site.

Reed: I don’t know what to say… I’m not a wrestler.

Owen: No, but you’re a fighter… and so was my dad. So was Adam Lucas. Way I see it, you’re halfway there, and we can give you the rest. So, what do you say?

Reed: I’m…

Owen: I know, it’s a big deal I get that. Give it some thought, and if you decide to go for it, turn up for training on Monday morning, seven o’clock sharp. We can get him some spare kit can’t we Jason?

Jason: Sure thing boss.

Owen places a hand on Reed’s shoulder, looking him right in the eyes.

Owen: But please, no more beating up the students, ok? It’s not a good look for the school unless it’s in that ring.

Willow: Well, strictly it was in the ring.

Owen: You’re not helping Willow

They both laugh, Jason too.

Owen: Just no more throwing hands unless your training bro… agreed?

Reed: For sure… and thank you.

Owen: You’re welcome, now off you go, the lockers won’t clean themselves.

Reed nods and heads off in the direction of the locker rooms, Owen turning to Jason.

Owen: Do me a favor though you two. Keep an eye on Zak and Tyler, they won’t like this decision. Any problems you refer them to me, not Finch. OK?

Jason: Got it.

Owen: Cool, I’m going back to Miami tomorrow but if you need me…

Willow: We’ll call you.

Owen nods and looks back at Reed as he enters the locker rooms. Could he really do this? He didn’t know. What he did know is that Wolfe hadn’t taken that chance on Orlando, there would never have been an ICON, or perhaps even an Owen. It was a chance no doubt, but a chance worth taking.
[Image: 270041540-258425806375597-7033161467703002046-n.png]
19th August 2022 - Miami

The post-season break was almost over, and once again it would all restart, chasing after those dreams once more. For Owen, the dream was simple, become World Champion, as simple as that. His ‘redemption’ tour as far as he was concerned was over. Those people that still didn’t believe in him welcome to their opinion. The reaction he had got at Rise to Greatness had told him all he needed to know. Regan and David were tolerating him, which was all he could really ask for. The ‘people’ had forgiven him for his indiscretions over a year ago. Jennifer had forgiven him, which was by far the most important and his life was once again on an even keel, his hatred now diluted to nothing. There was however one aspect of his life that bugged him, a nagging feeling that just wouldn’t go away. Peyton Rice. He and Peyton had been the best of friends, the same relationship as any brother and sister, and yet the two of them yet hadn’t reconciled. But just like with Jennifer, Owen feared that rejection, and so he hadn’t done anything about this. This time however, he didn’t have Rachel Tatum Lee to help him out. Just like he didn’t have anyone to help him out with the most important question of all… where he and Jennifer were going to get married. And sat on his porch overlooking the ocean behind, they were trying to find that elusive place… with very little success.

Owen: What about this one?

Owen opens a webpage, scrolling through a few pictures, Jennifer scrunching up her nose.

Owen: No?

Jennifer: It’s nice, but it’s not the one. I’ll know it when I see it, I know I will.

Owen: This one?

He shows her another picture, but this time she vigorously shakes her head, showing her total displeasure with the idea.

Jennifer: Ewww, no Owen.

Owen puffs out his cheeks, Jennifer playfully punching him on the leg

Jennifer: Am I boring you?

Owen: No, of course not… but how many places have we looked at now. It was hard enough agreeing on a date, but the venue…

They had agreed on June the 17th 2023, a Saturday and a date that had no relevance to anything else.

Jennifer: I’m only planning on getting married once Owen, and when I do, the venue MUST be perfect. You don’t want me to settle for anything less, do you?

It wasn’t a trick question, and Owen knew exactly how to answer.

Owen: No, of course not. We’ll keep looking.

Jennifer’s eyes widen, and she clicks through to a page on her laptop. She scrolls through a few of the images, her grin getting broader and wider with each one. Finally, she glances over the laptop, and towards Owen.

Jennifer: This is it… this is the one.

Owen gets out of his seat, and leans over Jennifer, resting his chin on her shoulder.

Owen: Clearwell Castle… sounds pricey.

Jennifer digs him in the ribs, scrolling through the images again this time for Owen’s benefit.

Jennifer: I can just see it Owen, pictures out in front of the Castle in the grounds, all our family and friends. Can we ring them… make sure they are available?

Owen: You don’t want to look at anymore?

Jennifer: No, I told you, once I saw it, I’d know. This is it, and in England as well, what could be more romantic than a Castle in the countryside?

Owen: You want to make the call now?

Jennifer nods her head, almost pleading with him to do so.

Owen: Alright then, what’s the number?

The call lasts no more than fifteen minutes, Owen asking a few questions before then asking the Castle’s availability. Thankfully for Jennifer’s sanity, the date they wanted was indeed available, and before they knew it, the venue was provisionally booked. Owen had arranged for them to both go and see the place firsthand in a few weeks’ time, and with that, the Castle had advised they would email confirmation. The very moment Owen hangs up, Jennifer throws her arms around him, as excitable as he had ever seen her.

Jennifer: Oh my God Owen… it’s really happening, isn’t it?

Owen: Yeah… unless you come to your senses and escape out the fire exit or something.

Jennifer’s eyes widen, not at the comment but more at the realization setting in.

Jennifer: There’s SOOO much to plan, what if Mom doesn’t want to help?

Owen: Of course, she will, it’s me she’s not sure of not you.

Jennifer: Caterers, Cars, Flights… this is going to cost so much.

Owen: Jen, take a breath.

He puts his hands on her cheeks either side of her face.

Owen: You’re worth it, and it doesn’t matter how much it costs as long as you are happy. Anyway, Mom will want to contribute… Regan and Dave probably will, you know they love you. And even if they didn’t put in a dime, I can cover it, so stop worrying. I’m short of a few things Jen, but money isn’t one of them. I may not be Blake, but I’m doing OK.

Owen knew that his wealth was more by chance than any shrewd investments. Kloe had helped him build O-Cru and he made a fortune from that, that had just been sitting there till he’d set up the school and shelter. Add to that the two-house sales in both Newquay and Los Angeles and he was more than financially sound.

Jennifer: If, you’re sure.

Owen: I’m sure. As long as I have you, that’s all that matters. 

It was cringey no doubt, but it was also the truth. A year ago, he couldn’t have imagined himself in this position, and yet now it was his reality.

Jennifer: You’d better get thinking about who your Best Man is going to be. Shaun?

Owen: Good option but nah.

Jennifer: Adam Lucas… you’re his after all?

Owen: Again, good idea, but I want someone up there with me who’s been through everything with me. My best friend other than you.

Jennifer: Who?

Owen lowers his head, knowing how unlikely his first choice really was.

Owen: Peyton.

When Owen has turned his back on the SCW, Peyton had been one of the first to castigate him, and the first to promise Owen that she would never forgive him for what he did to his friends. Since then, they hadn’t spoken, even when Owen had wished her Happy Birthday.

Jennifer: You do realize that for that to happen, you’re going to need to talk to her.

Owen: I know, but the last time we spoke, she was so angry. What if she still is?

Jennifer: You won’t know unless you try, and if she’s the one you want by your side, it’s got to be worth the chance, right? Do you want me to call her?

Owen: No… I’ve got to be the one to do it. She’s the ONLY person I want by my side Jennifer when I marry you, I can’t keep relying on other people to do my dirty work for me.

Jennifer: No time like the present…

Jennifer looks towards his phone sat on the sofa, Owen rolling his eyes as he picks it up and dials, waiting for an answer. He mouths ‘voicemail’ to Jennifer, the relief on his face obvious.

Owen: ‘Err, hey. It’s been a while. Hope you’re, ok? I think we should talk; can you call me back? If you don’t, I’ll understand. Take care… miss you.’

He hangs up the phone, placing it back on the sofa.

Jennifer: There, wasn’t that difficult, was it?

Owen: Yeah actually, it was. She didn’t answer though, did she?

Jennifer: Might be busy, don’t be so paranoid.

Owen: She’s every right to hate me, Jen.

Jennifer: Perhaps, but she also loves you.

Owen: Past tense…

On the sofa the phone starts to ring, Owen looking down at it and Peyton’s name glaring at him. Jennifer smiles, again motioning towards the phone which Owen picks up, biting his bottom lip. With a deep breath, he answers the call.

Owen: Peyton…

Scene fades.

RECORDING

“The Rolling Stones once sang, you can't always get what you want.”

Owen appears on screen, his demeanor one of obvious disappointment even though many weeks had now passed since Rise to Greatness. He hadn’t even been on SCW television since he returned, and already the rumor mill had started to churn, people asking if Owen had ‘ran away’ once again. Truth was, that wasn’t the case at all, a few personal issues the only reason he had been given the time off, and nothing as major as anyone wanted to make it. But he had also used that time to reflect and get his head straight. So that he would be ready to come again.

“Make no bones about it, I wanted the United States Championship. It was meant to be a symbol of my redemption, the moment where I got back to where I once was, a major player in this company. I knew full well that Josh Hudson would be a difficult nut to crack, I knew I was basically walking into his back yard and playing the game by his rules. A submission match was no doubt his domain, and thus, in his mind at least the outcome was assured. I didn’t agree of course, it would be remiss of me to do so. But Josh Hudson was right. Now don’t get me wrong, I look back at my performance that night and I have very little complaints. I’ve looked over that match, and barring a few minor details, I really do not believe that I could have done any more than I did. Josh Hudson was the better competitor on that night. Josh Hudson deserves to still wear that United States Championship. Josh Hudson is every bit the man he said he was and won the match within the boundaries of the rules. So, to move on, I only have one thing to say to you Josh.”

He instinctively moves closer to the camera

“Thank you. Thank you for the lesson you promised me. Thank you for the opportunity to compete for the United States Championship. And thank you for showing me what path I must take next. A path I should have chosen a long time ago.”

He lowers his head for a moment, contemplating his next words.

“It’s kinda funny, the way things turn out. My Dad, Orlando, he entered the business with a bang and made one of the biggest impacts ever in ULW. He became a World Champion in just a few short months, his power was recognized worldwide. But after a while he ran into Russell Nash-Blade, Desolation… and everything changed for him. Desolation made it his goal to take Dad apart piece by piece and show him his limitations. Desolation showed him that the tools his had at his disposal, no matter how impressive, weren’t enough for him to forge the career he wanted. Desolation beat Orlando, time and time again… really had his number…”

Owen gives a wry smile

“Sound familiar?”

Owen pauses for a few short moments to allow the suggestion to sink in, before then continuing.

“There is no question, Josh Hudson at Rise to Greatness had my number. Looking back over my time in SCW, he always has. It’s why he could go into this match so confidently, knowing that I was walking into his domain. Rest assured, he knew how that match was going to go before the bell even rang. For someone like me, a competitor first, it’s frustrated to know that someone is better than you, and so I understand how Dad felt back then. I don’t know the exact number, but Orlando lost many times to Desolation, until finally Desolation made him an offer. Either they carried on like they were, or Orlando would let Desolation retrain him. Either Orlando would be stuck pressed against that glass ceiling, or Desolation would help him smash through it. Dad chose the latter, he swallowed his pride, and he looked forwards. Desolation turned him into the Icon, the man who would win seven World titles over the course of his career. And if Dad was alive now, he would tell you quite simply, Desolation saved him. Just the same as Josh Hudson saved me. So, Josh, don’t worry I’m not going to come to you for help, as I’m certain what you would say to me. You don’t like me, you don’t like what I did, and from watching you on Breakdown these past couple of weeks, I can see how pleased you are with the way it went down. If the offer is there, we can talk, but aside from that you promised to teach me something, and that you did. I may have grown up during my time away and be a more faceted wrestler than I ever was, but I still even now haven’t learned how to stand on my own two feet when faced with the very best there is. For me to be successful that must change. And instead of others changing it for me… this evolution must be kicked started by me. And me alone.

In the beginning, it was Orlando who was a constant safety net, followed by Shaun, Taylor, and countless others I could mention. When I felt something was missing, I turned to Giovanni Aries of all people, and was almost sucked down that rabbit hole, as he attempted to warp my mind against everything, I held dear. When I returned, I didn’t come alone. I came with Daisy by my side… just in case things started to go sideways. I came back, claiming that the boy had gone, replaced by a man. And yet, still I had someone there to hold my hand. Josh never needed it. Selena Frost never needed it. Syren, Xander Valentine… Bree Lancaster. These are all names that forged their careers by one method, coming to the ring and consistently proving themselves the best. Not with people sat in their corner, or advising them, or getting involved when things got tough. Even in the Perfect Pack, I always had back up… what does that message send to Supreme Championship Wrestling? It says I am incapable of doing things by myself. I always need someone to hold my hand. That message HAS to stop. It must stop… RIGHT NOW.”

He sighs deeply, for him this was the beginning of the season, a season that had started without him. There was a lot of work to do, but finally he seemed to have the direction he needed.

“And that’s why Samuel, for you it’s a shitty situation, no question. Let me make one thing abundantly clear before we kick this off. I couldn’t care less who you aligned with, or who you call ‘friends’ or enemies. It is not my concern what you aim to achieve within this company, or how you would like to change it in some false prophets’ image, or any other mindless meanderings you care to come up with. When I walk through that curtain, and the crowd pops. When I walk down that ramp, and slide into that ring, I’m not thinking about the next championship, or how far I fell down the pecking order off the back of the defeat at Rise to Greatness, because believe me. As far as I’m concerned, I’m still more likely to beat Josh Hudson than Glory Braddock is. I’m sorry Glory but it’s the truth. No, all I will be thinking about is kicking your ass, as well as helping my fans to rid the image of me tied up in those ropes at Rise to Greatness… defeated. But more important Sam, it’s all about getting back on the horse and kick starting my season. A Season in which I WILL become a Champion within these halls once again. Oh, I know you think you can turn my debut this season into an anticlimax, but you know what Samuel? The way I’m feeling right now, the intensity I have surging through my veins, I’m ready to blow you away.”

He shakes his head, his lips pursed together.

“That’s not to say that it’s going to be easy Samuel before you embark on that rebuttal. I know full well that you’ve learned a few tricks whilst you’ve been a part of the Haus of Nirvana, some of them that I wouldn’t necessarily use in my playbook. I also know that what was once a losing streak, and victories hard to come by, has turned into at least a respectable record, something I’m guessing GiGi loves to take credit for, sharing none of that achievement with yourself. Instead of being the ‘lovable loser’ your biography has you pegged as, written by GiGi perchance? You’re someone that these days HAS to be taken seriously.

However

Yes, I did lose to Josh Hudson, so it might sound quite arrogant for me to be preaching on abilities. But these is Josh Hudson, the guy who is probably one of the most technical proficient wrestlers that Supreme Championship Wrestling has ever seen. Over the course of the last few months, only Selena Frost and Josh Hudson can say that they defeated me clean, debatable with Selena considering Josh got involved, but that’s what the record books will say. So, two defeats, against probably two of the top three competitors in the World. I mentioned it earlier, some will probably claim I’ve fallen down the pecking order, but I call bullshit on that. You may well have improved, and I applaud you for that Samuel, but regardless of what happened at Rise to Greatness, I will ALWAYS be mentioned whenever the Championship conversations take place. And now, with the defeat to Josh well and truly digested, the whys and wherefores understood, I’m more equipped than I ever was. And certainly, too much for you to handle.

Because Samuel, I made one mistake against Josh Hudson, and it cost me. I had him Sam, I really did, but he managed to get away from me, which serves as my only regret. If he’d have done the same, made that crucial error, I would have capitalized, but sometimes when facing the best, that opportunity never comes. Against you, I don’t have those same pressures. You readily admit, you’re not as skilled as you could be. 19 years pro, you would have thought you would have mastered your craft right now, but the fact is, against you I won’t have to wait for those mistakes. And there won’t just be one, there will be plenty. You ‘could’ get lucky, it happens. You ‘could’ hit the unexpected and give me something else to think about, but that doesn’t mean I believe you will. You biggest problem Samuel is quite simply that this isn’t just the throwaway match it could have been. I need to win this; it matters to me but than you could possibly ever understand. So, although you may have benefitted from me being a little lacksadaiscal, I am positive that simply won’t happen. You are going to be facing Owen Cruze at his very best, yes Owen CRUZE. You are facing a person who will give you THE same intensity he gave Josh Hudson, a man who won’t allow losses to turn into a streak. But more importantly Samuel, you are going to step into that ring with someone who is now paddling these waters under his own steam. Someone who if a decision is to be made, he will be the one to make it. Honestly, I don’t know if that is the pathway to success. Maybe I’m not my Father, or Shaun, capable of steering my own career to the top. Maybe even now, making my own judgements, is a fool’s errand and I quite simply will never achieve the heights of my family. But Samuel, at least it will all be on me. Good, Bad, or indifferent. And even if the only thing I achieve is Supreme Championship Wrestling finally understanding who Owen Cruze really is, then it’s a task worth undertaking.”

He grins, for the first time in fact.

“Then, you will ALL know my name. Even if it did take me a while to figure it out.”

There is no wink, no grin, in fact not a single shred of emotion, except for pure determination. It is on that image, that the scene slowly fades.

[Image: 270041540-258425806375597-7033161467703002046-n.png]