Alice In Chains: The Story Of Alice
Alice In Chains: The story of Alice…

(The scene opens around a camp fire late at night in what appears to be the middle of the desert. Four soldiers settle down around the fire lying their heads on the camping bags. Each one has an automatic weapon sitting right next to them ready for action at any moment. Coughing is heard as one passes a lit brown object to the solider to his right.)

“I didn’t know Afghan Kush was you know…. AFGHAN AFGHAN…but damn. This is some good shit.”

“Yeah you know, if it wasn’t for all the gun fire and dead bodies. This place wouldn’t be half bad for a camping trip.”

“Yeah…Until you walk out to take a midnight piss and a land mine blows your junk off. *laughs* My wife would be pissed if I came home looking like a Ken Barbie doll when I pulled my pants down.”

“What would be the difference between that and what she has to deal with now?”

(The soldiers share a laugh.)

“We can have a contest right now and I’ll show you all how much I’m packing.”

“Ugh…. Negative.”

(The soldiers share a laugh again.)

“Anyyyyywho…. how much farther until we get to that building tomorrow?”

(One of the four men stand up as we get a close up on a mid-20’s clean cut Caucasian male that oddly enough resembles John Cena. He pulls a folded-up paper out of his pocket before unraveling it to reveal a map. He bends down briefly to grab a pen out of his bag. He bites the cap off with his mouth and marks the map before taking the cap out of his mouth to talk.)

“Well we are here right now so providing any setbacks we should get there within an hour or two when we wake up on foot.”

“That ain’t too bad.”

(The solider folds his map back up, puts the cap back on the pen, and slides them both back into his back pocket. Another solider stands up as the John Cena look-a-like takes a seat. This solider is another young Caucasian male that resembles Adam Levine, or the man that just did the halftime show for the Super Bowl. He bends down and pulls out a cassette player. The other soldiers gasp before the John Cena look-a-like speaks up.)

“Now why the hell did you bring that? Are you trying to get us killed? You know we can’t risk drawing any attention.”

(The other soldier smirks back at him.)

“Come on Johnson, live a little. There isn’t anybody around us for miles. Can we at least enjoy some music before we go to bed?”

(The John Cena look-a-like, now revealed by his last name Johnson, stands back up and isn’t amused.)

“This shit isn’t a joke man. You know you can’t take stuff like that off base. We are in the middle of a desert in fucking Afghanistan and you want to draw attention in a war zone? Have you lost your fucking mind?”

“Just one song, come on. What’s the fun in smuggling weed into and off base if we can’t enjoy a little music with it?”

“He has a point….”

(Johnson waves his hand up in surrender.)

“Fine whatever, one song.”

“What the hell do you even have on the there? Elvis Presley? Johnny Cash? That shit looks like it came straight out of the Great Depression.”

“Yeah bro, it’s 2015 and you have a cassette player? The hell….”

“Alice in Chains album, “Dirt.” Absolutely classic. I just tell them I’m keeping a verbal diary. Easy peasy.”

“Alice and who?”

“Just listen Williams and thank me later.”

(He looks in the direction of the soldier “Williams” and hits play on the cassette player. The opening chords to “Rooster” by Alice In Chains starts to play as the scene fades to black.)

Army Green Was No Safe Bet

(The scene opens up the next morning as we see these four soldiers marching into a town. The two men identified last night are walking ahead side by side with the other two trailing behind. One is a male of Asian American decent and the other of African American. They are carrying their assault rifles with the camping bags strapped to their back. The Afghan towns people are divided with their reactions. Some seem to show fear as mothers can be seen pulling their kids inside. The others just seem to stare in curiosity. The soldier’s eyes wander except for “Johnson” who stays focused and takes the lead.)

“The building isn’t much further down. When we get there, Yen and Williams, you go around back. Scott and I will kick in the door from the front.”

“So much for the element of surprise, huh?”

(“Williams”, the African American muttered sarcastically as he observes the civilian stares. They walk a little further down the road before “Johnson” puts out his hand signaling them to stop. He whispers.)

“This is it. Get in positions. We take the door in one minute.”

(“Williams” and “Yen” jog behind this brown two-story building while the other two stand by each side of the front door awaiting to kick it in. Around the back the two men realize the back door is chain locked. “Williams” points back to the front.)

“Shit, run back up there and stop them.”

(“Yen” turns and begins to run towards the front, but a loud crash of broken wood is heard followed by “Johnson” yelling.)

“ALJAMIE EALAA AL’ARD!!! ALJAMIE EALAA AL’ARD!!!!”

(Upon hearing “Everybody in the ground” in Arabic he knows it’s too late. “Williams” runs up to the chained door and shoulder blocks into the door cracking the wooden door halfway off its hinges, but the chain still keeps the door in tact. Gun fire erupts from inside as “Williams” quickly shoots at the chain in desparation at the risk of bullets deflecting off. Luckily the chain partially breaks, and he grabs it to pull it off.)

“BOMB!”

(As he pulls the chain an explosion rips through the building blowing him back and the door with him. A loud ringing sound is heard as smoke completely fills the air for several seconds. As the smoke slowly starts to blow away “Williams” is seen pushing the door off him as he sits in a rusty metal wheel barrel that was eight feet from the building behind him prior to the explosion. It caught his fall and made for a rougher landing as it shows when he slowly pulls himself out wincing in pain. He falls to a knee and wipes the dirt from his eyes. He lifts his head up as his eyelids begin to open. He sees dust continuing to spread across the surrounding atmosphere and the rubble burning in a fire from the fallen building.)

“No…”

(He suddenly realizes the repercussions of the explosion and stands up before limping around the perimeter of the fallen building. He doesn’t see any of his fellow soldiers on the other side of the building just terrified citizens looking through their homes across the street. Suddenly a rage comes over him.)

“No No, NOOOOOOO….”

(You can see sadness being turned into anger as he walks over to what’s remaining of the wooden door stomps it in half. He grabs a broken piece and throws it into the pile rubble before falling to his knees. He whimpers as he tries to fight back tears. He looks down and sees the chain lying on the ground that prevented him from entering to help his fellow soldiers. He picks it up with both hands before looking up into the air and lets out a loud cry of agony. “Rooster” by Alice In Chains starts to play through his mind as he reflects on his fallen brethren and the scene fades to black.)

Alice Unchained

4 months later….

“Damien, why do you continue to carry that chain around from the explosion?”

(The scene opens in a therapist office as “Williams” is seen in a white t-shirt and baggy blue jeans sitting on a maroon color lounge chair. The chain in question rests on his lap with a part of it in his hands. A middle-aged brunette woman sits behind a desk in her business attire. She wears glasses and hair clips in her hair for style. “Williams” who’s first name has just been revealed as Damien takes a deep breathe before answering.)

“I couldn’t put it back down. It means too much.”

“Why do you feel that way?”

“I hate it, I appreciate it, and it reminds me of the night before I spent with them. I hate that it kept me out of the building from fighting with them. I feel like I should have been in there with them live or die. It saved my life though. I feel like I owe these metal links my life. You think it’s weird?”

(She nods her head in disagreement.)

“No, not at all. It’s understandable to keep ahold of something that you feel connects with a loss. Of course, a chain is a little unconventional, but it’s not any different than a widow continuing to wear their former lover’s jewelry decades after they have passed. It’s all sentimental. It’s very understandable especially after a tragic loss that came with a traumatic event.”

“I hear you. I’m probably going to get it made into big giant chain necklace I can wear it around my neck. Almost like a battle scar.”

“That’s interesting. How have you been dealing with the grief? Any nightmares or panic attacks?”

(Damien pauses and scratches his beard before answering.)

“I dream about it a lot, but I don’t wake up in a panic or nothing. I don’t think I’m still there. I think it’s just my mind trying to adjust to the reality of the situation. It’s hard man. I can’t get this song out of my head either that Scott was playing the night before. It plays in every damn memory and every damn dream.”

“And what song is that?”

“Rooster by Alice in Chains. It’s not really my favorite music but the song speaks to me. Shit, I’ve been listening to the whole album every day. The song is about war, so it makes the dreams and memories even more intense.”

“I see. Is anything different in the dreams then what happened in reality?”

“It is kinda’ weird. In my dreams I get out of the wheel barrel I landed in and my gun is gone. There are more enemies too. I wrap Alice around my hand and go to work. It’s like Alice and I got unfinished business.”

“Alice?...”

(He nods his head.)

“Yeah my main girl right here, Alice.”

(He lifts the chain in the air with a big grin on his face as the scene fades to black.)
[Image: LMW2Twx.gif]