Glory Braddock vs. Selena Frost
Project: Black Ice

”The Enemy of My Enemies…”

Nome Airport
Nome, Alaska
February 15th, 2022
9:08am

Her eyes were closed but she wasn’t asleep, her mind simply drifting in the quiet buzz of noise that filled that airport. She could hear the beeps and whistles of some of the screens and machines, the noisy mess of words from people that sat and passed them, concerned only with their own travels than the two women that sat in the waiting dock, the music playing somewhere – maybe it was someone’s phone being too loud (inconsiderate as that was) or maybe it was playing overhead by the airport itself. It was all white noise to Selena as she gently held the smaller woman in her arms, the redhead leaning against her tired frame, the quietest of snores coming from her nose.

They were both exhausted and had only themselves to blame. They had spent the weekend dealing with the makeshift “Superbowl Party” they had put together for Kai and Gerda – it was the least they could do for them after all the elderly couple had done for them over the years. The old man, Kai, rarely abused the hospitality of the Frost family, but when it came to sporting events? Even his wife, Gerda, had to roll her eyes at her husband’s antics. He had desperately wanted to watch the event on a big-screen television, which the Frost family had… of course when Selena had offered to have it viewed in their ”theatre-room” with the 120” screen, the poor man had almost had a heart attack – Selena quietly smiled at that memory. She would have to apologize to Gerda again as soon as she returned from Tampa later this week.

From the party, they had spent Monday packing and training, Selena wanting to get in one more solid workout before her match with Glory Braddock for the World Championship – a match she was still beyond nervous about, but she didn’t wish to dwell too much on that in her present circumstances. The pair, after saying goodnight and goodbye to their children and putting them to bed, had made their way to the private airport in the early hours of the morning/late hours of the night. For a second, Selena’s ears picked up the howling sounds of the storm outside, the sound of the wind growing louder, probably because someone had opened the door – the feeling of a breeze caressing her cheek confirmed that and she felt the young woman shiver a little in her arms, forcing her to gently tighten her arms around her, her hands gently rubbing Deanna’s arms and back, careful not to wake her.

It was as if the storm from Manhattan had followed them, perpetually hanging high over their heads as they made their way to Nome, strong enough to slow their plane for two hours and keep the Frost women awake for most of the flight. Even as they had disembarked from their plan, the wives had been surrounded by a snow-storm, much to the chagrin of the Kentucky-born redhead.  

In short, they were tired and grumpy, and as soon as they had called Zelda Evers to pick them up, Deanna had literally crashed on Selena’s shoulder, which was their current position. 

“Selena…Deanna…” the voice drifted into Selena’s ears, prompting the Snow Queen to open her eyes to see the smiling brunette standing before her. She was dressed in a colorful toque of reds and black and a long, light-brown jacket. There was little to no snow on her, not surprising considering the parking lot was just outside. Under normal circumstances (and depending how much they were carrying), upon arriving in Nome, the Frost ladies would have simply walked the 30-40 minutes necessary from the airport to the main ‘sector’ of Nome, which was to say the majority of Nome. However, the young Zoe would not hear of it, the snowstorms having, apparently, been raging through Nome all week. 

The young secretary smiled as Selena’s eyes focused on her. “Thank you for coming.” She whispered, her blue-white eyes settling on Deanna. “Should I?” 

“No, it’s okay.” Smiled the Snow Queen as she moved her head a little. Gently, she pressed her lips to Deanna’s crown, her hand rubbing her beloved wife’s arm a little briskly. “Deanna…” she whispered soothingly. “Gotta wake up now.” 

The redhead gave a low, soft hum, prompting Selena to lean her head down, pressing her lips to her wife’s warm forehead, which prompted a sharp intake of breath from Deanna, her whole body shifting and moving as the younger woman awoke. A loud yawn escaped her as she lifted her head and, instinctively, closed the short distance needed to press a gentle kiss to Selena’s lips. “Okay…” she sighed, pulling herself to her full ‘sitting-height’ and stretching her limbs out – Selena heard a loud pop in her wife’s spine, the platinum-blonde’s face wincing a little at the sound. With brisk huff, Deanna shook off the remaining ‘cobwebs’ before her eyes settled on the third woman standing before them.

“Hi, Zoe.” She smiled with a tired expression. “How’s the weather? Did it suddenly get warm and pleasant?”

“Not in the twenty-four years I’ve been here.” Laughed Zoe as she waited for the wives to get to their feet. Quietly, Selena adjusted her blanket-coat of bluish-green, which complimented her blue jeans and black turtleneck. She stopped, however, as Deanna’s warm hand ghosted over her shoulder to remove a stay, red strand of hair that sat on the Snow Queen’s shoulder. Dismissing it to the ground by dropping it, Deanna offered her wife a kind smile, allowing Selena to take in the younger woman’s own choice of clothes: dark gray pants, matching shirt all to accentuate the maroon jacket she wore. Her eyes drifting down, Selena caught sight of the necklace and pendant Deanna wore – the dark red dragon protecting the large snowflake in the background, an adaptation of her Frost family crest (similar to the pendant Selena wore under her shirt, except the dragon was blue and on the opposite side of the snowflake).

“Okay…” Deanna sighed, pumping herself up. “We just gotta make it from the door to the car – easy!”
“It’s not that cold-“ both Zelda and Selena replied at the same time.
“Says the resident penguins.” Deanna scoffed before turning on her foot. “AND…LET’S GO!” she proclaimed, marching towards the door until she stepped out of it, to the surprise of the remaining two women.

“Thank goodness we didn’t bring any bags.” Selena half-laughed, half-huffed, as she walked after her wife, Zoe following her.
“You’re not staying longer than a day?” came the question from the brunette.  
“You know we can’t.” Selena sighed with a shake of her head. “We have to get to Tampa by Thursday, and that has to include time zone differences, remember?”

“Right…” the secretary nodded her head before casting a glance to Selena. “Thank you for coming, though.” She remarked. “But…” her eyes flew to the door Deanna had ‘bolted’ out of. “I’m not sure it was wise to bring Deanna-“

“Doesn’t matter.” Selena quickly stated, turning her head to gaze at her friend and distant cousin, the warning in her sapphire eyes matching the tone in her voice. “She’s here with me. Jean can either ‘deal with it’ or we can hop on the plane and be out of here in an hour.”

“Okay, I’m sorry.” The shorter woman, Zoe, held up her hands quickly. “I didn’t mean to offend you.”

“It’s not that.” Selena sighed, trying to quell her irritation – perhaps heightened by her exhaustion. “I’m just done not involving her, Zelda.” Selena admitted. “We have a good talk a few nights ago and I realized that, for all I have tried to involve her in my life since her release… there’s still so much I’m being asked to ‘keep her out of’… and I’m tired of it.”

“Does she know about Black Ice then? And the inheritance?”

“Of course she does.” Selena scoffed. “I told her as soon as I learned of both. You think I would hide something that big from her?”
“No…I just…” Zoe sighed. “Nevermind. You’ll see when you get there.”

“Speaking of there…” Selena started, working her lower lip with her teeth. “Can you tell me what this is all about? Jean was his usual ‘vague’ self and it’s been rather unnerving not understanding why we couldn’t do this over a Zoom call. Is it about ‘Project Black Ice’?”

“I’m sorry, but no.” Zelda sighed, shaking her head. “We’ve been burning through Malcolm’s files with Talia every day and…there’s just so much.”
“Not surprising.” The wrestler sighed. “He basically went through thirty years in politics without being questioned.” 
“And it’s all buried in subsidies and shell companies… even Jean is getting cross-eyed looking through it some days.”
“Doesn’t surprise me.” Selena sighed. “He already had so many skeletons in his closet when he first came here, clearly he knew how to cover them up.”

“We’ll find something eventually.” She heard Zelda assure her. 
“I hope so.” Selena added wistfully. “But if it isn’t about Black Ice, then what is so important that we had to be here and-“

As she spoke, Selena pushed open the door to exit the airport and enter its parking lot, though she was barely able to register the cold and strong winds whipping her hair around because she immediately heard the loud yell.

“COME ON!” 

The cry came a fraction of a second before her hand was immediately grabbed by Deanna’s hands, the redhead practically yanking the taller woman towards the black Honda civic a few yards away. “I am freezing!” Deanna added. “Zoe, unlock the door!”

“Come on, Deanna.” Laughed Selena, temporarily distracted by her wife’s antics. “It’s not even the coldest it’s been here. It was colder during Malcolm’s funeral.”

“And I was cold then too!” countered Deanna as she heard the car locks click, her free hand reaching out to pull open the door as she practically leapt into the vehicle. Immediately, her hands re-found Selena’s and the younger Frost pulled the platinum-blonde inside, Selena barely able to get a ‘Whoa!’ sound as she closed the door behind her. Immediately, Deanna was pressing herself up against her wife, small hands clinging to Selena’s coat and shirt. 

“Warm…” Deanna shivered, nestling close to the taller woman. “Warm me up. Warm me up. Warm me up.” She begged in a whisper, earning a bout of laughter from Selena, who quickly began rubbing her wife’s body with her hands.
“Such a baby.” Selena teased. “Can’t stand a little cold, but you married a Snow Queen.”

“My decisions in life have not always been deemed as ‘smart’.” Deanna grumbled, her shivering slowly easing as Zoe got into the car and immediately turned it and the heater on to aid Selena’s ministrations. “We both know my heart sometimes does the thinking for me.”
“Thank Odin for that.” Selena whispered, leaning down to kiss her wife’s cold cheek, followed by her nose and forehead, the platinum-blonde trying to warm her wife’s face with playful kisses.

They felt the car shift and jolt before beginning to move, driving them out of the parking lot and down the main street that would take them to the main center of Nome within minutes. Still, Selena took care to keep rubbing her hands against her wife’s form until she felt the shivers subside and Deanna’s breathing calm. With a long exhale, the redhead lifted herself up to fully sit in the leather seating beside her wife, the sound of the storm outside quite loud.

“I hope the children are staying inside.” Sighed Deanna, her eyes gazing out the window to the massive clumps of snow falling from the skies.
“I doubt Gerda would let them play outside if the storms were as bad as this.” Selena tried, squeezing Deanna’s hands with her own.

The younger Frost gave a nod before turning her attention to the driver. “Zoe…” she asked, prompting the brunette to shoot a quick gaze to the rear-view mirror to acknowledge the passenger. “Ummm… Not to put you on the spot or anything, but…” Deanna tried, biting her lower lip to reconsider her wording. “But couldn’t we have done this over Zoom?”

“Well…that’s the thing.” Zelda sighed as she turned a corner, immediately pulling into a driveway – Are we there already? Selena’s mind shot as she looked around, recognizing the building that was Jean Black’s workplace as Zelda continued to speak. “The plan was just to do things through Zoom but….recent developments have made that unwise… I rather let Jean explain it.”

“Oh that’s comforting.” Deanna replied. “Remind me to punch him in the arm for wanting me to stay at home.” She grumbled to Selena. “If it’s that dire, I would rather be here.”

“Even in the cold-“ Selena tried to joke, but a jerk of the head and an emerald glare from her wife shut her up instantly, the seriousness of Deanna’s words striking full force. Taking a slow breath, Selena lifted the one hand of Deanna’s she held to gently kiss the fingers. “I’m glad you’re here.” She whispered so only her wife could hear.

“Good save.” Deanna whispered back, though her eyes shone protectively as she gazed at Selena just as the car was turned off. 
“Ready?” Zoe’s question drifted to the back, earning a sigh from Selena.
“Yeah.” The wrestler prompted. “Let’s get this over with.”

Immediately, the older Frost opened the door, removing herself from the vehicle. Again, she was met wit the strong winds and flurries of the storm. Carefully helping Deanna out of the car, the two followed Zoe up the steps and onto the porch where the door was immediately opened before they reached it.

“Come on!” declared the accented, sharp voice of Jean Black as he stood there, his one hand on the door handle and the other on his cane. He wore he typical suit of black with a dark-blue tie that didn’t quite match to Selena, but who was she to judge in terms of color sensibilities. The detective beckoned the trio inside and Zelda was prompt to enter first, already removing her coat by the time Selena and Deanna had entered. “You know coats can go on the rack.” He gestured to the tall, dark-red wooden stand by the door with his cane. 

“Thank you.” Selena replied automatically, removing Deanna’s coat first before removing her own. “By the way, Jean – Deanna’s gonna punch you in the arm sometime today.”
“She what?” Jean barely had the time to speak before a small fist jabbed him in the arm opposite to the one holding the cane. “Owww…” he glared at the redhead.

“Hi, Jean.” Deanna smiled, though her eyes narrowed at the older man. “Don’t ever leave me out of shit again.”
A long sigh escaped the suited man, and he gave a slow shake of his head. “Well, if you want to learn things the hard way-“
“Always.” Deanna countered before returning to her wife’s side, taking the Snow Queen’s arm in her hands. “Now what is going on?”

Hearing all of this, the platinum-blonde took a moment to take delight in her wife taking charge. Clearly, the redhead was far more annoyed than Selena was about jumping on a plane, flying ten hours through a snowstorm to ‘super cold’ Nome. Yes, she, herself, would much rather be on her way to Tampa, getting there early to train for her upcoming World title defense against Glory (which she was certain the ‘British Bombshell’ was doing), but there was an understanding in her that Deanna seemed to be presently lacking. Was her wife worried about whatever it was Jean needed them for? Was she worried about Selena being distracted by this with such an important Breakdown match only days away? Or was it a combination of both? The platinum-blonde couldn’t be sure, but it was enough for her to reach out to gently take her wife’s hand into hers. “Deanna…” she whispered, trying to calm the shorter De. “Let’s get everyone settled in before-“

Her words froze as she gazed up, her eyes catching movement beyond where Jean stood. Behind him was the ‘sitting room’, complete with a roaring fireplace and several comfy couches – but it was the people standing there that caught her attention.

First, in a rather nice blue suit stood Talia Scythe, the lawyer waiting patiently to be acknowledged, which Selena would have done had it not been for the second person standing beside her. The man also wore a suit, but his was black with a white dress shirt underneath. Along with Jean, the trio looked quite ‘formal’ when compared to the trio of Selena, Deanna and Zelda.

“Oh this can’t be good.” Selena remarked, her eyes jumping from Jean, to Talia, to Gavin Scythe. “I’m actually scared to ask at this point…”

“Why don’t you come inside?” Gavin offered kindly. “We’ve got the fire going and there’s tea and hot chocolate-“

“You had me at hot chocolate.” Deanna stated bravely – as if to prove something, Selena remarked silently – the redhead marching past Jean and into the room without hesitation. Again, Selena and Zelda merely followed, keeping quiet as they entered the comfortable room. As everyone took their seats, Zelda sat next to Jean on a small couch and Selena waiting for Deanna to return to her (the younger woman having made them hot chocolates in little time at all) to sit on a larger couch. Gavin and Talia took their place on single seats of leather, similar to the one is Selena’s office…

Wish we were there now… rebuilding that pillowfort after David destroyed it. Selena thought, her eyes drifting down to find Deanna’s, emerald orbs telling her that the redhead was thinking the exact same thing.

A moment of silence followed the six occupants, the only sound that of the roaring fire that crackled just beyond the furniture they all sat on.

“So…” Selena tried, the platinum-blonde trying to break the silence and tension. “Is someone going to talk, because Deanna and I have to head over to Tampa tonight…”

“I’m sorry.” The apology, surprisingly came from Gavin Scythe, the youngest son of Malcom Scythe, his gaze focused on his hands as he leaned over his knees. “I’m the one that came to Jean and asked him to get in touch with you.” He took a long inhale and exhale. “I suppose the best way to start is at that the beginning.”. He took another deep breath. “Ryan has begun his campaign to be the next mayor of Nome.”

While the general reaction for anyone else would have been a shrug of the shoulders and a dismissive “So?” or “So what?”, no such sound came from either Frost. Instead, their eyes widened and they could hear the other take a sharp inhale of air, a quiet gasp that belied how uncomfortable such news was. Slowly, sapphire eyes rested on the dark-brown eyes of her former best friend, Talia. The lawyer gave a slow nod, as if to confirm Gavin's statement.

“Are you alright?” came Selena’s voice automatically. “I don’t want to sound rude but you being here speaks more than Gavin being here.” She felt Deanna give a small nod of her head.

“Short answer?” Talia replied, throwing her hair back, Selena temporarily envying its length, her free hand reaching up to trace along the braid her wife had tied fir her before arriving in Nome, a gesture Selena had returned by making two thinner braids for Deanna and tying them around her head in a sort of mermaid-crown fashion. “No.” the curt response snapped Selena back to the present. “He’s always been obsessed with succeeding Malcom as mayor of Nome, but he’s dumping so much money – more than we planned! And he’s acting…”

The woman released a long say, appearing so much older in that moment despite being the same age as Selena. “It’s almost frightening.” Talia admitted. “I’ve seen him burning through Malcolm’s old contacts book, he’s gone out all hours of the night- I don’t…” another sign escaped her. “I can’t just ignore all of it.” She shook her head, her dark eyes scanning her entire audience. “I don’t know what he plans to do if he becomes mayor but I don’t like it.”

Another moment of silence passed, the group processing Talia’s assessment until it was Selena’s voice that broke it again. “Back when we were in Serpentine Springs…” she started, “He spoke about taking over as mayor and… he said that, once he did, he’d be re-evaluating his rights as the biological father of Elsianna and David.”

The rest were stunned, all eyes on the SCW world champion. “You…you don’t believe-“ Deanna started only for Selena turn her gaze to her wife and interject.

“That he’ll restart the war and try and take our children from us again?” Selena huffed a short breath in despair. “I didn’t until we were told that Malcolm left them a fortune in his will.”

As if remembering that detail, a groan escaped from Deanna, the smaller woman dropping her forehead against Selena’s shoulder.

“I can’t believe he’d do that.” Growled Gavin, his eyes nowhere in focus. “Estranged or not, he’s their father.”
“That man was never their father-“ Selena spat out. “They are Deanna’s and mine children.”

His eyes flying up to regard the Snow Queen, Gavin quickly rose his hands up. “No, that isn’t what I meant.” He spoke quickly. “I meant… he should be happy they are safe and cared for… not try and wreck their lives.”

It was enough to calm Selena enough, the platinum-blonde sitting back against her seat, Deanna rubbing the pale hand of the Snow Queen with both hands gently.

“Ryan has always craved power.” Talia remarked. “At least as long as I’ve known him. He was groomed to be Malcolm’s successor.”
“While Gavin was meant to be traded off to marry Selena if I recall.” Jean remarked sharply, causing both Selena and the youngest Scythe to awkwardly regard one another.

Still, Talia’s remark unnerved Selena. HAD Ryan Scythe always craved power? Back when he was ‘Adrian’, Selena’s fiancee and best friend, he had been kind, loving, ambitious, sure, but no different than her father had been in his search for gold in the mine. Had that been real at all or had ‘Adrian’ simply been a mask, a means to an end for Ryan to further endear himself to his father by doing what Gavin could not where Selena was concerned? It sounded unreal but Selena had spent eight years in a world where people could change their morals and ethics at the drop of a hat – where integrity was as expendable as change in a pocket. Wasn’t that what she had been fighting for so long against? For the survival and thriving of integrity, especially with the world title and SCW representation? Even with someone like Glory, who had traded her morals on more than one occasion, there was no promise that she would stay her current course.

Was integrity just that easy to 'give up’ to achieve one’s ends? Selena wasn’t sure.

“So what are we supposed to do?” Came Deanna’s voice, gaining the platinum-blonde’s attention. “I mean, you guys are the ones living in Nome, so I imagine this is something you want even less than we do.”
“Well there is a plan…” Gavin started, his hands fidgeting nervously. “But we’re up against a lot of momentum. Everyone in Nome knows that Ryan was being groomed as Malcolm’s successor.”

Selena nodded head. Hell, even in her dark days living in Nome, she had known of Adrian’s ‘destiny’. “Convincing the town to change something they’ve accepted for years would not be busy – especially in the wake of Malcolm’s death.”

“Right.” Nodded Jean but his voice held a tone that seemed to indicate that he had expected this line of reasoning from Selena. “But what if we didn’t change their ‘expectations’ too much… just which particular ‘Scythe’ took the mayoral ‘throne’?”

Once more, emerald and sapphire eyes widened, both airs flying in their gaze towards the young man shyly sitting on his chair, looking back at them.

“You?” Selena asked, observing Gavin.
The young man gave a nod.
“Wow…” the Snow Queen remarked. “That’s…I didn’t expect that.”

“Do you disagree?”

The question came from Gavin, and Selena could hear the tinge of sadness laced within it. Shifting her focus back to him, she instantly spotted how his expression had fallen, his head hung a little lower, thinking that the Frost women thought ill of such a notion as him as a mayoral candidate. Quickly, Selena gave a quick shake of her head.

“No! Of course not! I’m just surprised is all. You never struck me as having a care for politics.”
“I studied privately – sort of a backup for Ryan…” Gavin admittedly glumly. “Never thought I’d be using it against him.”
“Can you?” came Deanna, eyeing both Gavin and Talia. “Go against him, I mean. He’s your brother and your wife.” She gestured to them both.

Talia was the first to answer, taking a deep breath before doing so. “I… we…” she sighed, shaking her head. “Every instinct tells me that him becoming mayor is wrong. That it will bring so much bad here… on all of us.”

“I love my brother.” Gavin added. “But none of us can ignore how he’s changed the past year. And to give him the power our father wielded… no…” he also shook his head, though more vigorously than Talia had. “I forced myself to look the other way for many things my father did. I won’t do that again with Ryan.”

“Well that’s well and good.” Selena remarked, her sapphire eyes scanning the other people in the room. “But that still leaves a few questions. Why did you need me here just to tell me that?”
“And why was I asked to stay away?” Deanna added seamlessly.

The other four people in the room stared at one another for what felt like an hour, the eyes of the Frost wives staring them down, awaiting answers to their questions. Slowly, Gavin returned his focus to them, his hands patting an irregular pattern on his knees.

“When we decided that I would run for mayor against Ryan, I posted some feelers out on Twitter and Instagram. Hypothetical stuff to gauge response from None citizens…” Slowly, he pulled out his cellphone, touching the screen with his fingers several times to unlock it and direct it. “Twenty minutes later, this popped up in my email.”

Carefully, he passed the phone over to Selena, who took it and turned it towards herself in order to read the screen aloud. “You don’t fit into my plans. Remove yourself from them or be removed. Ask your father if I am so capable…or ask Selena Frost.”

Despite herself, Selena felt that sickening cold grip her. The kind that froze her spine and made her jaw clench. A cold that only one person could create in her now – the only other person capable of doing so being dead for months…

“Killjoy.” Selena whispered, her eyes flashing back up to see the grim expression of Gavin Scythe, his lips forming a fine line as he nodded his head.
“I have every reason to think so. That or Ryan is playing a VERY poor prank on me.”

“Wait…” Deanna asked, raising her free hand to the young man. “You know about Killjoy?”
“Given the circumstances…” Jean explained, slightly changing his position in his chair. “I believed it best to tell him. We know that, should Killjoy truly wish to eliminate Gavin, he very well could with little difficulty.”

“Which begs the question…” Selena whispered, though she was heard by everyone in the room. “Why warn him?” her eyes flew back over to Gavin. “Why give any warning at all? It’s not like Killjoy cares about the Scythe family. He killed Malcolm when it suited him.” She spied Gavin’s hands tightening into fists at the mention of his father’s death. Still, she continued, “So why warn Gavin? Why not just eliminate him and be done with it? He’s permanently out of the way, guaranteed…”

“I…” Gavin tried, shrugging his shoulders uncomfortably. “I hope you’re not projecting here, Selena… I know I wasn’t-“
“Calm down, please, Gavin.” Selena ordered. “I’m just stating observations here. It’s just so much of this doesn’t make sense.”
“And that still doesn’t answer my question.” Deanna added, crossing her arms over her chest.

Slowly, Jean leaned forward, his hands still on his cane. “May I tell you the conclusion we all have drawn? It will explain the full reason you are here and…” his eyes moved to Deanna. “And explain why I didn’t wish for Deanna to be here.”
“Least you’re admitting it.” Deanna replied, her eyes a mixture of hurt and frustration.

“The truth is that you are the only person that will disagree with what I am about to say, Deanna. And the only person that could, potentially, change Selena’s mind once I tell her.”
“That’s a bold assumption.” Laughed the redhead. “That Selena would agree with you.”
“Not quite an assumption.” Jean shook his head sadly. “In fact, I’ll wager that when I’m done explaining, not only will Selena want to agree with us – she might even want to help us.”

“Okay…” Selena blew out a shot of breath in a huff. “I’ll believe that when you tell me.”

“Very well.” Jean replied, sitting back in his chair. “We all made the same assessment you made, Selena. About this ‘Killjoy’ and warning Gavin. And the fact is that there was only one explanation that possibly made sense. He actually WANTS Gavin to run for mayor – and he wants you to know that he’s watching it all.”

“Uh-huh.” Selena nodded her head. “And…why?”

“Chaos?” Talia offered. “What better way to throw Nome into a tizzy by making the Scythe’s sons take on one another? Split the town politically speaking?”
“And the death threat?” Deanna asked.
“Brought Selena here, didn’t it? We were worried about Killjoy listening in on this – now she’s here and in the thick of things.” Jean rationalized.

“But that doesn’t mean I’ll help.” Selena stated with a shrug of her shoulders.
“That’s just it.” Came the voice of Zelda. “I think Killjoy is manipulating all of us to do this.”
“What?” Selena asked, her eyes widening a little.

“Well, think about it.” Zoe tried. “Talia said Ryan’s pushing this campaign aggressively with no explanation. What if that was because of Killjoy? What if Killjoy knew that we’d hate the idea of Ryan Scythe as mayor and would strive to stop it. Throw in a death threat with YOUR name on it, specifically, Selena.” She gestured to the Snow Queen. 

“Are you suggesting we are playing into this bastard’s hands?” Selena asked. “Because I want no part in that.”
“We’re suggesting we play into his hands up to a point.” Jean explained. “What do we know of this person? That he wants us to find out the truth about this ‘Black Ice’, whatever it is, and that he ‘wants’ Gavin to stay away from competing with his brother. But the two actions contradict each other. One is blackmail, meant to inhibit. The other was done arrogantly – encouraging you to look… unless we’re right and that death threat was meant to encourage Gavin rather than hinder him. Then it makes all the sense in the world-“

“So you want to poke the bear?!” 

The voice came from Deanna, who was suddenly on her feet, pacing back and forth – when had she stood up?! Selena thought. “I’m sorry, but… you’re crazy, okay? You’re saying you’ll play along when the options are either Killjoy will kill Gavin or we play right into his hands?! That’s a lose-lose! And you want Selena to stick her head right into the thick of that? Right into the lion’s maw?! No!”

“Deanna…” Selena was suddenly on her feet, trying to slow her wife’s pacing, catching her with her arms. “They’re just going through ideas.”

The redhead cast her eyes upward towards the taller Frost. “Please tell you’re not considering helping-“
“This is why I didn’t want you to come.” Deanna heard Jean whisper, but chose to ignore him than spat a comeback at him.

Selena, meanwhile, had retreated to the inner workings of her mind, trying to process everything she had just heard. In truth, everything Gavin, Jean, Talia, and Zelda said made sense. A death threat seemed too out of character for Killjoy. Like Holly Adams “giving back the world title” last month – a mere misdirection to a far more sinister purpose. THAT was how Killjoy was!

No, he must have known this would only spur Gavin on. He was a Scythe, after all, their pride on the same level as the Frosts. Selena could respect that about the young man sitting a little ways off from where she stood. 

Still… Deanna also had some good points. To defy Killjoy’s ‘order’ was to invite him to act whenever he wanted – daring him to kill Gavin. It be keeping the ball in his court, and Selena desperately wanted it to be in theirs for once! She wanted to be in control for once, much in the same way she wanted to have this match with Glory in a few days – if only to restore integrity to the SCW World title for a moment!

But this was a lose-lose for them initially – Deanna was certainly right about that. They couldn’t possibly let Ryan become mayor – the idea, alone, seemed monstrous to Selena, almost as terrifying as Malcolm being the mayor…

“Deanna…” she whispered again. “We can’t just do nothing.” She sighed, reaching up to caress her wife’s face. “We can’t just let Ryan become mayor. You know that.”

“I know, but….” Deanna bit her lower lip, turning her head back towards the others. She hadn’t forgotten her wife’s earlier assessment of Ryan’s goals when it came to their children – to get his hands on the millions of dollars of inheritance for Elsianna and David. The very fact that Ryan’s own wife, Talia, was there spoke volumes to the redhead as well. 

No… Ryan Scythe – for the good of the people in Nome alone – could NOT become its mayor. But that would mean playing ball with Killjoy! 

“I hate this!” Deanna half-growled, half-whined. “I hate this so damn much!”
“I do too.” Sighed Selena, reaching up to wrap her arms around her beloved, holding her close. “But we don’t have any choice in the matter.”

Casting her own gaze towards the others, she saw the sad, almost guilty expressions on their faces. They knew… she realized, more out of sadness than any anger or betrayal. The four of them, Jean to Gavin – they knew this would be the outcome before Selena and Deanna had even stepped foot in Nome. They knew that the Frost would have to agree to joining this ‘effort’ of theirs, especially with Ryan’s goals and Killroy, himself, in the works.

With a sigh, Selena backed away from Deanna to fully regard the others. “What exactly do Deanna and I do in all of this? What’s our part?”
“Well…” Jean started. “I didn’t really plan a part for Deanna-“

“Okay!” Deanna huffed. “I’m putting a stop to this right now.” Emerald eyes glared at Jean, causing him to shift uncomfortably in his seat. “Here on out? If Selena is involved? You plan for my involvement. Understand?”
“But-“
“That wasn’t a ‘but’ question, Valjean.” Deanna shot back, her eyes narrowing. “I am done with all of you trying to keep me in the dark or trying to force Selena to do the same. I am A PART of all of this whether you like it or not! Selena and I are a team. She is my wife, we have children together – WE. ARE. A. FAMILY.” She stressed every last word.

“And if you don’t believe her…” came Selena’s voice, matching Deanna’s in its darker tone. “I’ve got no problems walking out of this office with my wife, getting back on our plane, and leaving you and Nome to whatever fate Ryan and Killjoy have for it. It’s not like I owe you anything, Gavin, and you know it.”

It was Gavin’s turn, under Selena’s sapphire glare, to shift a little, nodding his head a bit. “Same goes for you.” Her eyes found Talia and then Jean. “Or you. Take advantage of our history or my loyalty to you like this again? And trust me, I’ll be gone faster than a blade of grass on the ground around here.”

She felt Deanna shiver a little at the reference of snowfall and cold, but she tightened her hands around Selena as the platinum-blonde held her, the two Frost wives standing united.

Quickly, Zoe was on her feet. “We respect that.” She replied gently, reaching out to place a comforting hand on both women’s shoulder. “And we could have done this a much better way.” She tried. “And I know Jean feels the same way. Right, Jean?”

The detective could only clear his throat before quickly nodding his head, clearly not use to being scolded in such a manner. It was enough for the younger Zoe to return her gaze from her husband back to Selena and Deanna. “You know us, Selena, Deanna. Our intentions have always been good, especially when it comes to one another – we’re part of this family as much as you are part of our family. You know that, right?” she offered a quiet, gentle smile to both women.

Selena took a deep breath, eyeing all four people carefully. “Never keep my wife in the dark again or ask me to.” She warned, though its tone was certainly gentler than the last. 
“We promise.” Zelda answered quickly.
“As do I.” Gavin offered from his seat.

An awkward silence fell between the six as the Frost wives gazed at one another, sharing an unspoken conversation for a minute or two before both turned their heads back towards the group.

“So…” Selena sighed, subconsciously squeezing Deanna closer to her. “Now that we got that out of the way… what exactly is your plan here?”

[Image: tetXUW1.gif]

The camera opens up to the interior of the Amalie Arena in Tampa, Florida, one of the stops on the road to Retribution. It is here that SCW will host tonight’s episode of Breakdown, which will see the World title defended in its main event. For now, the arena is empty, devoid of people except for the one woman standing in the middle of the ring. She wears a leather jacket, a dark gray t-shirt, blue jeans and her medium-length platinum-blonde hair is tied in a short braid that falls just past her neck and the tops of her shoulder blades. On her shoulder rests the prestigious SCW World Championship. Sapphire eyes are downcast towards the mat she stands on within the ring.

Selena Frost vs. Glory Braddock… the words echo from the lips of Selena Frost and she lets them settle a little before she speaks again. Selena Frost vs. Glory Braddock… Selena Frost vs. Glory Braddock… Selena Frost vs. Glory Braddock… she slowly lifts her head to stare at the camera.

You put those two names together, you’re guaranteed something classic. You’re guaranteed something worthwhile. This is a matchup that is Retribution Pay-Per-View worthy – hell, I’d go as far as to say it’s Rise to Greatness worthy! – two people that want nothing more than to be the best in SCW going at it. And you throw in the very thing that, as Glory said, ‘defines being the best in SCW’, the SCW World Championship! I mean… she shakes her head, a smile forming on her face. It doesn’t get much bigger than that!

Carefully, she adjusts the title over her shoulder. This is what I’ve wanted for… for so long now, Glory. A match determined not by how many people you can have running out or how many ‘plans’ you can put together, but by how far you can go in this ring as a wrestler. How much will and passion and desire you have to become SCW World Champion.

With a tilt of her head, Selena regards her audience. But you, Glory, you made it clear that that’s what matters when it comes to this title. You made it clear that all that matters is beating the person that holds the title. That, once you hold this title… she pats the belt over her shoulder with her free hand. You are automatically the best there is in SCW. You are automatically the best of the best in SCW.

Biting her lower lip, the Snow Queen shakes her head. And that… that’s where I’ve realized a fundamental difference between you and me, Glory. But let me get some things out of the way first. Now, you clearly were listening to me when I did that Royal Letter a couple of days ago. You contested that you wanted to win this battle – win this title – more than me. That it was far more DO or DIE for you then it was for me. Now, of course, you had your reasons. Which I found amusing… a smile breaks across her beautiful features as she looks out at the empty arena, walking around the inside of the ring.

Because according to Glory Braddock, “the best wrestlers in the world refuse to be content” with what they have achieved…

She stops for a moment, turning her head back towards the camera. I actually liked that concept, Glory. The idea of never settling, never resting – I’ve used those words before too. But then, immediately after that, you said that this match wasn’t as important to me because my ‘place’ in SCW – my legacy here – was secure and I could take comfort in that…

Again, the world champion tilts her head. Well, wait a minute. I’m confused, Glory. I thought you said that ‘the best of the best’ refuses to be complacent, but then you say this match isn’t as important to me because my place in SCW is secure and I can rest easy on that? 

So… you’re either lying when you said that I’m the best in SCW, or you’re saying I’ve become complacent over my place here… and to believe either about me would be a fundamental error on your part.
her tone grows cold and her eyes narrow.

Perhaps I was wrong when I thought you’d understand when I said that ‘resting on my laurels’ was something that I could never do. That isn’t me. Because I could write a book regarding how many people in this federation have said those same words, Glory. That they ‘wanted it more’ than me. That I ‘didn’t care about the world title as much as them’. Syren, Cid, Holly – hell, Cid Turner ran a damn campaign on that topic just before I beat him clean in the middle of the ring. Dozens of SCW superstars have said words so similar to yours and I proved them wrong. Words like ‘fraud’ and ‘not caring’ and ‘less passion’ and I’ve overcome them in this ring.

Over eight years I’ve been here, Glory, and there’s been a few that could knock me down but not one in SCW that could keep me down. Not one that could keep up with me at this level, at this stage of my career!

The Face of SCW shrugs her shoulders. Hell, you want to talk about complacency – how many years were you running around here telling everyone that you were “The Greatest Wrestler in the World” because you were a 14-time world champion elsewhere? How many of those reigns were a few weeks long reign? A few days? A few minutes? You never mention a single one because it’s just a number to you, Glory – the number was your focus. So, if we were talking about ‘resting on the security of one’s place in history’ then what is one more world title reign to you? Just to brag about being a ’16-time world champion’? 

I could ask that of you, Glory, but that would be a disservice to this championship because the fact that a skilled veteran like you has held this title only once in her time here speaks volumes of its place in the world – speaks volumes of this title being the pinnacle of world championships in the world of wrestling!
she holds the title out towards the camera before lowering it down to her side.

The problem is that you think – just like everyone else in Double Jeopardy seems to think – that to be the best, all you have to do is win one match. All you have to do is win one title match and that is what I am trying to counter here. Hell, Holly Adams almost took this title from me because of a disqualification – am I supposed to believe that if she had, she would be the best wrestler in SCW? By your logic, Glory, that’s exactly what would be implied. How about all the times Syren did it with Infamous holding her hand and declared herself the best in the world? How about when Sienna Swann had the entire Beauty Factory/Network locked in a chamber against James Evans just to try and get the title belt off him, a handicap match with near impossible odds – would you have bent the knee and called her ‘the best wrestler in the world’ if she won the one match that gave her the title?

A sad smirk crossed the Snow Queen’s features as she slowly shakes her head. See you… you and I could go back and forth over who wants to win this one match more. You mentioned your accolades, you mentioned your name, you mentioned your legacy and your father, we could go back and forth, Glory, trying to convince the other that we want this match – this title – more than the other, Glory… you’re just confirming what I already told the SCW Universe…

I told you, I told the True Believers, I told the world that this match would be brutal. I told them this match would be ugly, it would be hard-hitting, it would be a burnburner, a five or six or a seven star match – whatever you want to call it. And that’s because we know just how much Glory Braddock wants – Glory Braddock NEEDS – to be SCW World Champion… 

I know how much this match means to you, Glory. I know how much this title means to you, Glory. I respect that you want to be SCW World champion. I respect that you want to earn this title by beating me fair and square – but until you’ve actually done it, until you’ve actually tried it at this level, at this stage, you have no idea how hard that task truly is.

Selena holds up her free hand towards the camera. I told you that there was a fundamental difference between you and me, Glory. And you summed it up in that promo of yours. To you? This isn’t about integrity. This isn’t about what the world title means to SCW. You can throw my words around all you want, you can rehash and paraphrase my promo all you want, Glory, but one thing you made absolutely clear that the only person you are concerned about tonight… is you.

She points a pale finger at the camera. I saw it in your eyes, Glory. I heard it in your voice. You are haunted. You are haunted by that moment in time. A time where you joined the history of the SCW World Championship. A moment that lasted only a few minutes. Haunted by that moment because it was over before you knew it. And all you want is to undo it. Replace it with something a bit longer, a bit better. That’s your drive, Glory. So you can push your first ‘title win’ into the vast number of your other ‘world title reigns’ and hold onto a longer one with a semblance of pride…

Lowering her arm, the world champion gives a shrug of her shoulders. Trust me when I say, I understand. I was haunted by a short world title reign myself. And unlike you, I had to sit on that for four long years. I had to deal with that being my ‘endpoint’ of world title reigns for four years. But where you and I are different, Glory, is that THAT has become your obsession. When I came back to fighting for the World title, it wasn’t to undo the past or ‘hide it away’ or ‘replace it’. I came back because the World championship was being dragged through the mud. Because the people were tired of seeing it disrespected night after night, match after match.

Where you and I are different, Glory, is that, unlike me, you ARE obsessed with hiding and replacing your past. And when we fight, you are going to be fighting only for you. YOUR legacy. YOUR history. YOUR accolades. YOUR shortcomings…

And while those may be noble goals for you and goals I can respect in several ways… that isn’t what I am fighting for.

Casting her gaze down, Selena observes the title in her hand. I am fighting for this title. I am fighting for what it represents. Not after one match. Not after one title change but for the past, the present and the future of SCW! I am fighting to restore what this title has not had for a VERY long time! Integrity! Where the champion doesn’t become “the best” just by winning it but by taking on these matches over and over again and turning back every challenger and tactics that is thrown their way! I am fighting for each and every person sitting in the audience and every person sitting at home that is SICK of people like you that think “all I gotta do is win one match and I’ll be the best in all of SCW!”. she aggressively shakes her head, gesturing towards the empty seats in the arena. 

You may have a legacy behind you, Glory. You may have a name and a heritage beyond you but try having millions and millions of True Believers behind you screaming at the top of their lungs “We Believe! We Believe!”. You could have 100 world title reigns in your list, Glory, and you’d still fail to match their voices united in a desire to see integrity brought back to this world title! A desire to see a world champion crafted from not one but by many matches of this calibre!

Lowering the title back down, Selena stares back at the camera.

I will not disrespect your legacy, Glory. Nor will I disrespect your passion and desire to be the world champion. But neither will I believe as you do that “the best” comes from one single match. And from where we stand? With you fighting only for you? She holds up her free hand, indicating a level. It’s what puts you here… She raises her hand to a higher level. And it’s what puts me here! And if you had been against anyone else in SCW, you would BE the SCW world champion! If it was against anyone else, you would already have your second reign of world title and the people would have forgotten about the mere minutes you held that title in that gauntlet match – that is how good you are in my eyes… if you were against ANYONE else.

Because that much of a difference…
she hold her fingers only a few centimeters apart. Minute on paper and on any scorecard but just enough to make ALL the difference in the world. That will be what decides tonight, Glory. That difference. That little bit more that these people, the True Believers, the SCW Universe, the will and drive that I have – that will push me to reach that level! To stand in that ring and keep going, keep fighting while that desperation that you’re so ‘proud’ to have turns to fear and grows and grows in your eyes! While you feel the World title slipping further and further away from your grasp the longer this match goes on as I keep getting back up, showing you why I am the woman that refuses to stay down – while you question everything you think you know about Selena Frost until at long last, whether it’s one Glass Shard or as many kicks as you’ve had world titles – you are knocked downed, pinned and beaten!

Lowering her arm, Selena stands in the middle of the ring. You are prepared to walk into Retribution as the world champion having won only one match. You are satisfied with that being what the defending world champion is about at Double Jeopardy… I would much rather the world title and its champion represent over ninety days of proving something so much more! I would much rather this title be brought into Retribution representing over ninety days of setting a standard that has surpassed some of the greatest names in SCW. A standard that terrifies people like Holly Adams and Kim Williams. That infuriates The Connection. The intrigues Brittany Lohan. That makes you as desperate as you wish to be. That makes the SCW Universe proud to be fans of Supreme Championship Wrestling…

And tonight, you will be part of that. You will help put this title back on the pedestal that it deserves to be on. But you won’t be wearing it, Glory. You won’t be using it for your own ego or your own insecurities. Because this title is above that – is better than that…

And you better believe the SCW World Champion is better than that! 

Believe it, Glory. Because you sure as hell aren’t going to be able to stop it!

The Snow Queen holds the world title high with pride as the camera fades to black.
[Image: hffOaUZ.png]
SCW Supreme Champion
6x SCW World Champion
4x SCW World Tag-Team Champion
2x SCW United States Champion
3x SCW Adrenaline Champion
SCW Television Champion
Longest Reigning SCW World Champion (234 days)
Winner of Shot of Adrenaline Tournament (2016)
Winner of Best of the Best Tournament (2016)
Winner of Trios Tournament (2018)
Winner of U.S. Championship Tournament (2020)
Winner of World Championship Tournament (2023)
Winner of Tactical Warfare (2014, 2019)
Winner of Elimination Chamber (2015)
Winner of Roofed Cage Match (2019)
Winner of Last Person Standing Match (2019)
The Unbelievable Main Event (2021-2023)
Winner of Double Jeopardy Match (2022)
Winner of EOTY Invitational (2023)
Female Wrestler of the Year (2016, 2021, 2022)
Tag-Team of the Year (2020 - w/ Regan Street)
Match of the Year (2018, 2019, 2021, 2023)
Feud of the Year (2014, 2019)

[Image: 34zetxl.png]

Messages In This Thread
Glory Braddock vs. Selena Frost - by Konrad Raab - 02-13-2022, 11:21 PM
RE: Glory Braddock vs. Selena Frost - by Braddock - 02-15-2022, 10:28 AM
RE: Glory Braddock vs. Selena Frost - by Braddock - 02-17-2022, 10:32 AM
RE: Glory Braddock vs. Selena Frost - by SnowQueenSCW - 02-17-2022, 09:57 PM