Owen Lee & Alexis Quinne vs. Gavin Taylor & Glory Braddock
29th December 2021

Miami International Airport

It had been a good couple of days with Finch, but now it was all about getting back to business. If it had been up to him, he would have stayed into New Years, but Owen needed to get to Ontario, for the End of Year Special that would see him restart his Supreme Championship Wrestling career. Luckily, both Finch’s flight to Los Angeles and Owen’s flight to Canada were around the same time, so having shared an Uber, the two now stand in the airport about to go their separate ways.

Owen: Been a laugh Finch… needed that.

Finch: Hey if there is one thing, I am good for it’s a laugh. Even if you spent most of your time laughing AT me rather than WITH me.

Owen: Dude, how could I not laugh at that feeble attempt at pulling Charlotte? She’s got higher standards than that. Me, for example.

Owen laughs, recalling the moment when Finch had struck out.

Finch: Look, don’t be surprised if it turns out she’s a closet Lesbian or something because no one can resist my moves.

Owen: And yet here you are, the single pringle still chasing skirt.

Finch: I guess we can’t all be a wrestling superstar huh?

Owen: Yep. Mind you, there are some that would say I’m not that either.

Finch: Is that a lack of confidence I sense there?

Owen: I don’t know mate…

Finch puts his hand luggage on the floor.

Finch: Bro, you’ve got this. You’ve done the hard miles, put in the work and gone over and above to make sure that you were ready for this moment. Dude, you got locked in a freezer, there ain’t nothing that should faze you now.

Owen: I know… it’s probably nerves. Ignore me.

Finch: Look, if there is one thing that I remember from my basketball days…

Owen: You used to play basketball? You’ve never said

Owen grins sarcastically

Finch: Finished with the sarcasm?

Owen: I’ll let you know

Finch: As I was saying before I was rudely interrupted, my coach always used to tell me that nerves were a good thing and that they showed that you care. If there is one thing, I have learned about you this weekend its that it wasn’t a certainty, you caring I mean. So that’s gotta be something.

Owen: You’re right

Finch: It’s a cross I must bear, consistently being right.

Owen: We both know that’s bullshit.

Finch laugh, and places a hand on Owen’s shoulder.

Finch: What I’m saying is this is all that you have been waiting for. Don’t be afraid of it, embrace it, and more than anything make sure you don’t regret it. Like you said to me the other day, this is a fresh start for you, a new chapter. Make the most of it.

Owen’s eyes widen.

Owen: Wow, that was almost profound.

Finch: It’s my middle name

Owen: No, it’s not, it’s Larry

Finch: Yeah, well the least we say about that the better. Fuck my parents.

Owen: Well, I’ll do my best Finch.

Finch: Got a feeling your best is going to be more than enough.

Owen: Cheers bro

Finch: Oh, and Owen

Owen: Yeah

Finch: I know we said we wouldn’t mention it again, but if you truly believe Jennifer is your one, then you are right, and I was wrong. Never give up on that. Charlotte’s a cool girl, even if she must be blind…

Owen scoffs, Finch smirking but choosing to ignore.

Finch: But I’ve seen the way you look at Jennifer, and the way you look at Charlotte doesn’t even compare. I see it, and one day I hope I find that… because I wouldn’t give it up either.

The two hugs, a manly smack on the back making the whole scene a little less awkward and more masculine.

Finch: Good luck Owen. See you later.

Owen: Later.

Owen watches as Finch walks away, digesting his friend’s words. Finch was right, he did need to embrace 2022, and make sure that it made this year nothing more than a distant, horrific memory. This was where it all needed to start. Or at least where it needed to start… again.

20th April 2022
Portland

Owen sits within the confines of a SCW recording suite, part of the hype for the Breakdown upcoming, the precursor to what was going to be a defining moment in his career. Fact was, his match with Josh Hudson had already held great importance to him, considering his actions of late and his stature within the company. But now, with a shot at a SCW Championship in the offing it had stepped up another level. Fate had opened an opportunity, and he had every intention of taking it. Leaning forwards, his hands clasped in front of him, he starts to speak. As always with confidence and showing very little emotion.

“It’s funny isn’t it, how quickly things can change in a heartbeat? One moment I’m heading into a PPV with what was looking like a grudge match in the offing. The next I’m part of a tournament to crown the new United States Champion, a victory over Josh now nothing more than advancement towards two more matches in the same night. Let’s face it, Josh has played his hand, turns out he legitimately wants to put me in my place, even hurt me. He wants me to ‘pay’ for what I did to this company, even though he’s shit all over it far more than I ever did. There ain’t no way I come out of that match in good shape… and then I still got two more to go. All to claim my first title in what seems like an eternity.”

He exhales, knowing full well the enormity of his current situation

“Like I said… funny isn’t it?”

He unclasps his hands and holds them open

“But I ain’t gonna fold, after all, this is only what I have been building to since my return. Redemption isn’t just being an OK guy and not feeling the need to crush the chest of your boss, it’s far more than that. Redemption is rebuilding bridges. Redemption is once again building trust, and respect. Redemption is about once again having people believe in you. And winning matches is great… since the New Year’s Special, I’m sure there are many people who have understood what I have been trying to, and hopefully once again gotten behind me. But no question, there is nothing that builds trust, respect and belief any more than having one of the prestigious championship belts that this company offers draped over your shoulder. Both my experiences with title belts thus far came to an end far too early, and the reason for that was so simple. I just wasn’t ready for that kind of responsibility, in fact, I reckon I went out of my way to prove such, wouldn’t you agree? But at twenty-two years old, and with what seemed like a pipe dream just a few months ago now reality, I can say without hesitation that I am ready now. Having learned the lessons that life threw at me… having taken those knocks and come out fighting. This is where Josh made mistake number one, and perhaps his most critical. He still believes he is facing Owen Cruze, when Owen Cruze no longer exists. He thinks he’ll get in my head and gain an advantage from insulting Orlando. He pours scorn on my obvious faults, as if I haven’t spoken of them and admitted them countless times. He ‘thinks’ he knows me, when clearly he does not.”

He leans back in the chair, tilting his head slightly to one side.

“Are you, Gavin and Glory, about to make the same mistake?”

Owen shrugs his shoulders

“I mean on face value, you really shouldn’t. The two of you have been SCW mainstays for a while now, and most certainly, the two of you have had a great deal of success. Both of you, perhaps Glory slightly more, are known for being meticulous to detail and always prepared to do your homework so it’s seems to be quite a reach to suggest that neither of you would see the difference between the guy who heads into Holly-Wood of the South, and the one that came second at Taking Hold of the Flame last year.

Just focus on that for a second, the Taking Hold of the Flame runner up… now even better.

Anyways…

I would have hoped that in the seven matches that I have competed in this year anyone with a modicum of intelligence would have seen the stark differences between those two individuals. I would have thought that websites would have been visited, dossiers complied, and conclusions drawn… Owen Lee being a FAR different animal to the ‘child’ from before. Wrestling has its great minds no question. My gut feeling remains as it was the moment this match was announced, that being that you couldn’t possibly be that lax. But then there is Josh Hudson. One of the most experience wrestlers on the planet making the most amateurish of mistakes and trying to legitimize it. Am I destined to receive the same tragic rhetoric from the two of you? Are you both going to continue this narrative that I’m not worthy of a second chance that many were granted in the past… perhaps even the two of you? Are you going to predictably claim that I’m only in this tournament thanks to my Uncle, when previous results should be more than enough to justify my place? OR, are you going to do what two people of your experience should do and concentrate on THIS, the match at hand? Because Glory, Gavin… oh by the way Gavin, I guess recent event means I don’t have to call you Uncle Gav, anymore right?”

He chuckles to himself, and even affords himself a shake of the head

“If you’re not focused on the here and now, and this tag match, then you ARE going to find yourself hit by a momentum destroying defeat ahead of the PPV. Because regardless of any misgivings the two of you might have with trust… let’s face it, how could you two ever trust one another. There is also the small matter of you coming face to face with perhaps the greatest tag team that has ‘never’ been created.”

Smiling, and with great confidence in his words he continues.

“Now before you jump onto a perceived slip of the tongue, yes, that is precisely what I meant to say. If you were paying attention a few weeks back, when I stepped into the ring with Alexis Quinne, you would have seen us put on an absolute wrestling masterclass. Moves, Counters… our match had it all. We ‘meshed’ in a way that is very rare in this business, especially when it was two people still trying to find their way. Whenever I tried something, she had the answer. She went for a move; I was ready for it. The reason for that, we have the same mindset, the same thought processes. One knew what the other was about to do, before they did it and the match was only won on the slightest of margins. We may have never tagged before guys, but I promise you, we ARE as near as damn it to the perfect tag team. Speed, Courage, Aerial Ability… you are both going to have to contend with two of SCW’s best exponents. And guess what, you’re in luck, because both of you have all the experience in the world to deal with whatever Alexis and I throw at you. I can’t speak for Alexis, but personally I am fully aware that people like you nearly always manage to find a way. But whereas the two of you have proven you have all the experience in the world, you have BOTH shown that when the chips are down and a title on the horizon, NEITHER of you can be trusted. Truthfully, what’s important to you at this point? Can either of you say that you have the best interests of the team at heart, or are you already turning to the PPV? Can you answer that with a straight face?

I don’t think so.

And ultimately, that is what tag teaming is all about. Of course, over the course of history there have been teams that haven’t been BFF’s, and still managed to stumble their way to the tag team championships, but not in any way, shape or form were they ever defined as having the togetherness required for longevity in this division. As a one off, with nothing else in play, perhaps you could have put any feelings to one side, for the cause of the ‘greater good’. But honestly, with the tournament just around the corner, and the likelihood that the two of you could face, my guess is that rather than the statement be made to me and Alexis you’ll look to get one over the other. Whether it’s claiming the pin, refusing a tag, one of you will most certainly mess this up. And with our tenacity and speed, one mistake is all we will need to put you away. One mistake Gavin, from someone like you, known for making a catalogue of errors in almost any match. For as long as I’ve been watching wrestling, neither of you have had an history of ‘playing nice’ with those that you haven’t chosen for yourselves. And the sad fact of the matter is, the two of you’s actions are just as likely to cost you the match than our abilities. And I’m sorry if this comes across as being harsh Gavin, but the truth usually is. You are the one I’m looking at and thinking ‘this guy is an accident waiting to happen’. Because more and more, every single week in fact you come across as a guy just craving acceptance.

What do I mean by that?

What I mean is a lot of your reputation is based of hearsay, but unfortunately YOU are the only one saying these things, because you’re a conman, in every shape and form. All Star Player, Greatest Wrestler in the World… you’ve delivered some absolute doozies over the expanse of your career, but none of it is backed up by fact, and that is why you will find it difficult to find anyone who will take you seriously. Truth is, there is no coincidence that any success has been found whilst you have been playing the fool, because that is the category in which you sit.

Let’s take your wrestling debut as legit, 2007, right?

Fifteen years ago, and yet you are listed as being thirty years old. Bro, you must have had one heck of a paper round because I’d have guessed forty at least. And that’s the thing Gavin, nothing you say can be taken seriously, even your bio page is a laugh a minute full of comedic interludes. You want people to REALLY listen Gavin, you need more than sporadic title reigns to back these outlandish claims. You want legitimacy, do something significant where someone else didn’t drag you kicking and screaming into relevancy. That’s why Gavin, though you are apparently the ‘Greatest Wrestler in the World’, I’m going to assume that’s Gavin’s World, just to give it some semblance of truth. But to be that, over the course of fifteen years I would have expected a whole lot more. Take your partner for example, Glory Braddock, someone who is taken seriously by everyone she steps into the ring with. When she speaks, people listen. And why? Because she’s done it. And that’s the thing Gavin, I have no doubt whatsoever that you are a more than capable wrestler, able to do some amazing things. But like many around here you outright refuse to let your talent do your talking for you. Instead, you prefer to flap your gums, and shrug your shoulders when things go wrong, not truly giving a shit. Undeniably, you are perhaps the biggest example of a wasted career SCW has, and that’s a shame bro, it really is. Because you do have ‘something’, you’ve just never been able, or inclined to show what that is.

And Glory, you know this don’t you? Because although I did indeed open by asking if both of you were going to make the same mistake as Josh Hudson, I think it’s quite clear that it was Gavin that I was primarily talking to. You know that if you win, it will more than likely be despite Gavin, rather than because of him. And perhaps more than anyone else, being born into a true wrestling family, you know precisely how this business works and what it takes to get ahead so I don’t expect you to make the mistakes of your partner. You’ll probably touch on my failings from last year but won’t focus on it. You’ll speak of our previous encounters, and how close they have been. And ultimately, you’ll probably give props to someone who, just like you, had to turn his life around before falling into an abyss. But you’ll want to win Glory because that’s what you are. A winner. I expect you to give your all in spite of what is on the horizon. Without question, you’ll be focused here, and on setting a marker against two people that could stop you from becoming the United States Champion. But I refer to mine and Alexis obvious chemistry, and respectfully I ask you two questions.

Will it be enough, and can you co-exist?

Those are the single most important questions you will answer this week. Answer truthfully and perhaps you leave Breakdown and go on to become United States Champion, reputation intact and with a clear conscience. Be a part of Gavin’s narrative, fool yourself and others and you’re obviously not the person everyone believes you to be. I ‘hope’ you are the former. I ‘fear’ you are the latter.”

Another shrug of the shoulders. It really didn’t matter… to him at least.

“And that fear comes purely from historical fact. The flip flopping from good guy to bad guy that would put even William Mason to shame. For a while, you’ve been an example for people to follow, but you’re always just a moment away from a turn. Trust is hard earned; I’m going through that myself. But will Gavin trust you in the way Alexis does me? No. And that could be the deciding factor when all is said and done.”

He nods, emphasizing the statement, before getting to his feet.

“So, in closing I’m going to end by saying this. There is a line that opens my theme song - ‘I been more than ready, preppin’ heavy for this day to come’. The song isn’t my theme simply because it sounds good. It was chosen because the lyrics are synonymous with my life, the struggles and battles that I have endured and overcome. ‘Give it a 100, never nothing less’, that is the design, and the mantra that has gotten me to this point. A moment in my life that could and would mean everything to me. Like Alexis says, grand scheme of things this tag match means nothing, but it means something to us. It’s our chance to leave a marker, an undeniable statement that this week you have been listening to two people who believe that they are destined for the finals of the tournament and are more than willing to show you why they have that belief at Breakdown this week. Talk is cheap, opinions are like assholes, but there is an undeniable truth about being shown the scale of your task in just over one week. You CAN win at Breakdown, and individually you COULD win the tournament, but only if you come to terms with the fact that you may well not. And people that call themselves ‘The Best in the World’ or ‘The Allstar’ couldn’t possibly have that level of humility to believe they could ever lose right?  An equation that adds up to a couple of LONG nights for the ‘self-proclaimed’ G.O.A.T’s of Supreme Championship Wrestling. Glory, Gavin… thank you for your previous endeavors, but the ‘future’ will take it from here. And that future, you're staring at right now...”

He salutes the camera, a smile forming on his face.

“HERE…WE…GO!!!”

Scene slowly fades.
[Image: 270041540-258425806375597-7033161467703002046-n.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Owen Lee & Alexis Quinne vs. Gavin Taylor & Glory Braddock - by Owen - 04-20-2022, 06:21 PM