Owen Cruze vs. Deanna Frost
+++ Toronto - 31st December 2022 New Year’s Eve +++

Just two hours ago, Owen had retained his World Championship in what some would call ‘dubious’ circumstances, but what Owen would call the right thing being done. There was absolutely no question that the Hairless Penguin had given his all, and come so close, but at the end of the day his foot had been on the ropes, and so therefore the match should continue. Lexy running out with the World title had put a dampener on proceedings, but Owen was still World Champion which was of course the most important thing. Now he could put SCW to bed until Thursday, when he would attempt to win a Trios Contract, and keep it out of the hands of those that wouldn’t blink before using it on him. Thankfully, Jennifer had been there to see it all pan out, Owen not wanting to think about spending the festivities alone. So sat on the balcony of their hotel, looking out over Toronto that was preparing for the big count down, Owen was more at peace with things than he had been in his entire life. Yes, he would have to deal with the Jason King situation when he got back, a decision which he still hadn’t made. And yes, there was still the specter of Charlotte’s disappearance hanging over him like a bad smell. But ultimately, that was all placed at the rear recesses of his mind, matters he would deal with in the New Year. Now it was about him and Jennifer… and nothing else. She reaches forwards, and pours Owen another glass of Champagne, raising her glass in his direction as he picks up his own, taking a sip. There is then a momentary silence, as both take the opportunity to draw breath one what had been an ‘eventful’ year.

Jennifer: This is nice.

Owen: You sure you’re not too cold.

Jennifer: No… it’s just right.

It was cold, very cold in fact, this was Toronto after all. But the heat lamp on the balcony was radiating enough warmth for them not to notice.

Jennifer: I was so proud of you tonight. Not just with the win, but the way you conducted yourself. You’ve come a long way from that guy that lost his shit and trampled all over Olek.

Owen: I had to, and let’s face it, if I hadn’t you wouldn’t be here with me. I’ve got a lot to be thankful for, and when the time is right, there will be many people that I have to thank. This who ‘redemption’ thing, it could have all fallen flat on its face, but the more people that got behind me, the more likely it became. And I couldn’t have done that if you’d not been the first. I hurt you more than most, and you forgiving me gave me the inspiration, no, the belief I needed to be able to make all this right. Sat here, in Toronto, on New Year’s Eve with you. Sipping Champagne as still the SCW World Champion… it’s more than I ever deserved. I want to hold the championship for as long as possible. I want people to recognize that as World Champion, the belt is in the right hands. But by the same token, I know that when someone does beat me, whether that be January, June, or December, I’ll be much better equipped to deal with it and continue moving forwards. Is it wrong that I still feel I have so much to prove?

Jennifer: Not at all… it’s good that you don’t think now the belt is yours, that you’ve accomplished all that you want to. It would have been easy for you to stop when you lost at Rise to Greatness, and heard those fans chanting for you, and feeling that same disappointment that you did. But after you’d got everything, you thought you needed, you found your love for the business again and so you wanted more. The World Championship, that first defense…

Owen: The best in the World…

Jennifer raises her glass, and the two clink them together. It wasn’t arrogance any longer coming from his mouth, but a confidence that he truly believed that one day he could be known as precisely that. She believed in him, and so did so many others, and now, he had finally found that belief in himself.

Owen: Did I sound like an asshole then?

Jennifer: Not at all… you sounded like someone who has found himself, and who knows exactly the person he wants to be. You know something Owen, I think we can safely say that this was the year you stepped out of Orlando’s shadow, and the world found out who Owen Cruze truly was. Twenty-two years old, World Champion, and about to marry one of the most beautiful women in the world…

Owen: Even if you do say so yourself.

Owen chuckles, Jennifer giving him a stern look before also laughing.

Jennifer: Seriously, you’ve built a life for yourself that Orlando would have been proud of. You’ve done that Owen, no one else.

Owen is about to say he couldn’t have done it without so many people, but he felt compelled to enjoy the moment, someone telling him that he’d done well, something he didn’t hear too often. Since he’d arrived in SCW, it had seemed like he was constantly dealing with the naysayers, and those that believed he’d had everything handed to him on a plate because of his surname. Even now, he was dealing with events that Shaun had put in place during his time as General Manager, something that had literally nothing to do with him. But during his time away, he had developed the ability to block out the white noise and focus on what was important. The need to build his own legacy, instead of mirroring others.

Jennifer: So, come on then… it’s nearly the New Year, do you have any resolutions?

Owen: Not really thought about it to be honest. What about you?

Jennifer: Right now, I want to arrange the best wedding and make Mom and Dad proud.

Owen: No plans to go back into competition?

Jennifer: Not right now no. More than happy being the SCW World Champion’s trophy fiancée.

Owen: You’re so much more than that.

Jennifer: Anyway, stop avoiding the question, what are you going to do in 2023?

Owen: Well, getting married is obviously the priority…

He says it with a grin, Jennifer recognizing that it was only one of his priorities.

Owen: Other than that, I want to build the school, the shelter. Open a few more places around the country.

Jennifer: What about in SCW?

Owen: I don’t know… like I’ve said, I’d love to be the Champion for a long time, but I’ve got challengers backing up around the corner so who knows how long I’ll last. Other than that, maybe a shot at becoming Supreme Champion, neither Dad nor Shaun achieved that.

He takes another sip of his champagne, taking a moment to check his watch which now read ‘2357’

Owen: I guess the main thing is stay free of injury. I don’t want what happened to AJ, happen to me, but the way I wrestle, the fear is always there, I just try to put it to the back of my mind. But that’s the reality, isn’t it? It could all be over in a heartbeat; I could be sat here at the end of 2023 having had to retire due to injury.

Jennifer shrugs, being a competitor, she was able to understand.

Owen: It was one of Dad’s mantra’s, always treat anything as if it’s the last time. That way, you can walk away without any regrets. I guess that’s one of the biggest takeaways from this year. If it happened tomorrow, I wouldn’t regret a single thing, simply because I was given the opportunity to make things right. And after all I’d still have the school, the shelter…

Jennifer: And me!!!

Owen: I was just about to say that.

Owen reaches out and takes her hand, Jennifer squeezing it tight.

Owen: You’re happy right?

Before Jennifer can answer, a noise is heard from the waterfront of Toronto, as the crowd begin to countdown to the New Year.

‘Ten’

‘Nine’

‘Eight’

Jennifer leans forwards, so that Owen can hear her clearly over the commotion.

Jennifer: Owen, I have never been happier. I love you, and I can’t wait to be your wife.

‘Seven’

Owen nods, fully understanding what she was saying. Even at twenty-two, he knew what he wanted, and it was to spend the rest of his life with her.

‘Six’

‘Five’

‘Four’

Jennifer raises her glass, and once again they clink them together, both standing to take in the view over the waterfront which was about to erupt in front of them

‘Three’

‘Two’

‘One’

‘HAAAAAAAPPY NEW YEAR!!!’

Owen puts his arm around Jennifer as the crowds below go mental, the two of them kissing to bring in 2023.

Owen: Happy New Year Jen.

Jennifer: Happy New Year Owen.

Owen: This is going to be our year.

Jennifer: Count on it.

Owen smiles and cannot hide the tears forming in his eyes and so he turns, taking in the spectacular fireworks display which lights up the night sky. He was the luckiest person in the world right now. And he knew it. And there wasn’t a chance in hell he would ever mess that up.

+++ Miami – 2nd January 2023 +++

After one of the more pleasant Christmases and New Year, Owen found himself back in Miami for a quick stop, before he would make his way to Breakdown to compete in the Trios tournament. If he was truthful to himself, he was surprised that he had made it this far, considering it was Ravyn in his corner, but he was optimistic that they could win the whole thing, putting a contract in his back pocket. The ultimate safety net should his Championship reign come to an end. Truth was, he didn’t expect to find the card on the mat when he entered the house, asking him to call the Miami Police Department as soon as possible. Also, he didn’t expect the officers to say that they would be round within the hour, stressing the importance that they spoke to Owen before he left Miami. It wasn’t an hour, in fact it was less than twenty minutes, only having just enough time to finish his lunch. Having shown them in and offered them a drink which they had politely declined, Owen takes a seat at the breakfast table, the officers, who were the ones working on Charlotte’s case, doing the same.

Officer Cooper: Thank you for your time, Owen, I understand that this is just a flying visit, but it was important that we spoke with you.

Owen: Not a problem… is this about Charlotte?

Officer Starling: We do have some further news on that coincidently, but it isn’t the purpose of our visit.

Owen doesn’t try to hide his confusion. He had already steeled himself, ensuring that he didn’t give the game away, or reveal Charlotte’s last known whereabouts. Officer Starlings comments had taken him off guard, and very apprehensive.

Owen: OK… so what’s this all about then?

Officer Cooper: No need to look guilty Owen, we are just following up on a few reports in the area that have been made by several residents on your street.

Owen: Now, I’m really confused… I’ve not even been here over the holidays.

Officer Cooper: No, and that’s the point.

Owen: You’re going to have to explain because I don’t have the first clue what’s going on here.

Cooper nods to Starling, who hands Owen his mobile phone, a picture already loaded up on screen.

Owen: What am I looking at?

Officer Cooper: There are more… if you could scroll through the images. Do you recognize the vehicle?

Owen does as he is told, scrolling through to the end and as he arrives there shaking his head.

Owen: No, afraid I don’t. Should I?

Starling takes back his phone and places it in his pocket.

Officer Starling: We’ve had several reports of this vehicle parking outside your house and watching the premises sometimes for hours on end. Whenever anyone walks down the street, or attempts to approach the vehicle, it drives away.

Owen: Couldn’t you run the plates or something?

Officer Starling: We could, but unfortunately, we haven’t managed to get a decent enough image of the registration, but we’d like to speak to the driver as soon as possible and ask him what he is up to.

Owen: And you think it’s something to do with me?

Officer Cooper: It could be totally innocent Owen; we are only following up on your neighbors’ reports. And of course, we haven’t ruled out the fact that it could be Ms. Byers trying to get in touch with you… again, the imagery hasn’t ruled out the driver being male or female. So…

Owen: She could be alive?

The moment he says the words, Owen feels a rush of guilt surge through him, and he concentrates only on ensuring the Officers don’t pick up on it. He wished he’d just said nothing, but now the words are out there, there seems no suspicion on there part. In fact, Cooper nods his head in agreement.

Officer Cooper: I’ve been on the force now for fifteen years Owen, and never in my time in service has there ever been a case where literally nothing has come up by now. A body, a piece of clothing, or a sighting certainly. But never nothing… unless it’s been orchestrated.

Owen: What do you mean?

Now he was really playing the part, Owen knowing exactly where they were going with this. They were piecing it all together, and very soon the questioning would start targeting towards him, him being the best friend who surely must know something.

Officer Starling: Ms. Byers was facing jail time for manslaughter. That could have been five years, it could have been twenty. We now firmly believe that she ran away to escape that jail time. We also believe that to do so, she must have needed help.

It wasn’t said particularly accusingly, but that was certainly how Owen felt right now. He couldn’t react though, nor make the situation worse.

Officer Cooper: We have requested CCTV footage from the nearby bus depots, as well as the airport and train stations. If she left via any of those means, we’ll know about it. It’s only a matter of time until we catch up to her.

Owen: I can’t believe it…

Officer Starling: Believe it or not Owen, this isn’t as rare a situation as you might believe.

If Starling did believe Owen was involved, he certainly wasn’t outwardly showing it.

Officer Cooper: Can I ask Owen…

Owen turns to Cooper, nodding as to expect a question,

Officer Cooper: Did you have any inclination whatsoever that she was planning to do this?

Owen: None… as far as I knew, she had just accepted her fate. She knew she’d done wrong and was willing to accept the consequences.

Officer Cooper: She didn’t ask you for money… or help in anyway?

Again, it seemed like just a question, and not an accusation. And Owen felt far more at ease answering than he had earlier.

Owen: No… the only time money was mentioned was prior to the fire when I offered her a loan to keep the bar afloat.

Officer Starling: And, and please forgive me for asking but we must follow all lines of enquiry. Since Ms. Byers disappearance, you haven’t spoken to her at all?

The way the Officer asked the question, meant that Owen could answer without lying, which somehow made him feel better about it.

Owen: No… and if she did, I’d tell her that she was only making the situation worse.

Officer Cooper: OK, again sorry… but after current events, we must ask.

Owen: Of course… it’s fine.

Officer Starling: One last thing…

Owen: Yeah?

Owen’s heart drops almost to his stomach, apprehension taking over.

Officer Starling: Did Ms. Byers have a boyfriend, or anyone else who could have given her money? Someone who could perhaps provide her with a fake passport.

Owen: Honestly, I don’t know. I know that she had a succession of relationships that had gone wrong and spoke of always being attracted to ‘bad boys’ so I guess it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that she knew someone who could do that.

Officer Cooper: But no names?

Owen shakes his head

Owen: I’m sorry… it’s not anything that ever came up.

Officer Cooper: OK no problem. You’ve got our number if you think of anything. You’ve got a security alarm here, haven’t you?

He looks around the room, clocking the sensors.

Owen: Yeah, and CCTV.

Officer Cooper: Good, when you leave Miami, make sure the alarms set, just in case our friend in the car tries anything. We’ll be running patrol cars intermittently in the hope that they are parked up when we pass by, but if you could check CCTV as well, we would appreciate it.

Owen: I got it on my mobile, so I’ll make sure I do.

Officer Cooper: May not be connected, but better to be safe. And of course, if we have any further information…

Owen: You’ll let me know?

Officer Starling: Exactly. Thank you for your time and I hope we haven’t alarmed you.

Owen: Nah… I’m tougher than I look.

Officer Cooper: Well, thank you… we’ll see ourselves out and have a good trip.

Owen: Thank you.

Owen stands as the police officers leave, watching them on the cameras until they get in the squad car and drive away. It did seem to him that the net was closing in, but he had no way of contacting Charlotte to warn her, nor did he think he would if he could, him being implicated enough already. The more he thought about it, the more he could see this going south. And who was this person who seemed to be stalking him from afar. And was it as the police believed connected. So many questions, but very little in the way of answers… he needed a distraction. And he knew the perfect person. He pulls his mobile phone out of his pocket and dials a number, placing the phone on the table after switching on the speaker option. He waits, at the phone rings for a while, smiling as the person on the other end finally answers.

Jennifer: Hey babe, what a pleasant surprise.

Owen hoped she still felt the same when the call ended.
[Image: 270041540-258425806375597-7033161467703002046-n.png]

Messages In This Thread
Owen Cruze vs. Deanna Frost - by Konrad Raab - 01-24-2023, 02:36 AM
RE: Owen Cruze vs. Deanna Frost - by Owen - 01-25-2023, 04:33 AM
RE: Owen Cruze vs. Deanna Frost - by SnowQueenSCW - 01-26-2023, 09:31 PM
RE: Owen Cruze vs. Deanna Frost - by Owen - 01-27-2023, 09:29 PM
RE: Owen Cruze vs. Deanna Frost - by SnowQueenSCW - 01-28-2023, 12:41 AM