Kimberly Williams vs. Owen Cruze
+++ Miami - 3rd January 2023 +++

Almost immediately after calling the police, Owen had instantly turned his attentions to Charlotte, and how she was going to feel once she found out it was Owen who had given the police the information they needed. He knew he didn’t have a choice, but it really felt like self-preservation which wasn’t what he was about. Jennifer was right, and Owen knew she was right. He couldn’t take the fall for what Charlotte had done, he had too much to lose. But by the same token, he couldn’t help but feel more than a little guilty about what would surely happen once he gave the police everything he knew. And not knowing whether the police would believe his story or not, just served to heighten his anxiety that was getting worse with every passing moment. The knock at the door sends his heart racing to his highest levels yet, and before he opens the door, he takes the deepest of breaths to calm himself. As he opens the door, he realizes that it hasn’t worked, so instead of saying a greeting, he remains quiet instead to not immediately implicate himself.

Officer Cooper: Good Afternoon, Owen, we got your message. Can we come in?

Owen still doesn’t speak, and instead steps to one side, allowing the two police officers to enter. Once again Cooper was accompanied by Officer Starling, who enters the house with a nod. Shutting the door, Owen walks through to the kitchen, offering them both a seat at the table at which they had only sat the day before.

Owen: Can I offer you both a drink?

Both Officers shake their heads, politely declining the offer, Owen making towards the kitchen top, a bottle of Jack Daniels sat on it.

Owen: I need one… if you would just excuse me for a moment?

Cooper and Starling both look at each other, wondering what is going on, as Owen pours himself a double, and then decides to add a measure more. For the Officers, the thought crosses their mind if Owen might have a problem, which he doesn’t. For Owen, it was just a medicine to numb the pain he would inevitably feel once he had revealed the truth. Well, at least some of it anyway. He takes a sip, allowing the liquor to flow down his throat and to his stomach, enjoying the warmth before turning and taking a seat opposite Cooper.

Officer Cooper: So, what’s this all about Owen? We were told you had some information about Ms. Byers.

Owen: Yeah, I do.

He raises the glass towards them, and takes another sip, Starling now starting to get more impatient.

Officer Starling: Mr. Cruze, if you have some information, you do know it is an offence to keep it from us, don’t you?

He knew that… he knew that very well.

Officer Starling: You are not helping Ms. Byers, and you most certainly are not helping yourself.

Cooper holds up his hand, showing his seniority, Starling just slightly backing down.

Officer Cooper: What my colleague is trying to say Owen is that we know Ms. Byers is your friend, but if you have any knowledge whatsoever of her whereabouts, it would be best for all parties if you passed that on to us. I get that you probably have a sense of loyalty towards her, but if you know she is alive and, on the run, we need to know. And I think you are the kind of person who recognizes what is and isn’t the right thing to do.

Owen struggles with his thoughts; information being passed to and from his brain at high speeds. He didn’t want to rat Charlotte out, all he wanted to say right now was that he’d been mistaken, and that it was nothing, but he knew full well that he couldn’t. Then, Jennifer’s words ring through his ears, no more lies, no more secrets, and he knows that he has no choice. He places the glass on the table, and clasps his hands in front of him, focusing on Cooper rather than Starling, the good cop instead of the bad.

Owen: I know that what Charlotte did was wrong… she shouldn’t have started that fire. But before I continue, I need you to understand just how desperate she was. I’m sure you’ve seen the debt she was in trying to keep the bar afloat. You can’t imagine the kind of stress she was under.

Officer Starling: I think we can Mr. Cruze, but that’s all irrelevant.

Cooper holds up a hand, indicating for Starling to be quiet and allow Owen to finish, a fact that Owen appreciated, this being hard enough.

Owen: I’d never seen her like that in the time I’d known her. I’d never seen her literally hanging by a threat. The minute she found out that Scott had been in there, and I’d pulled him out. Scott dying days later. That stress built and built, the desperation built and built. She knew full well what she had done, but she also knew that she wouldn’t survive in prison, never mind be able to come back out and restart her life after ‘rehabilitation’ whatever that means. That’s why it wasn’t difficult for me to believe that she had taken her life. She told me, clear as I am telling you right now, that she couldn’t cope with it all.

Officer Cooper: OK, we know all this, it’s all written in your statement.

Owen nods, it was all in his statement, but he needed to reiterate just how desperate he had found Charlotte over the past few months, trying to justify in some way her actions in trying to claim the insurance money to get her out of serious trouble. Owen was trying to paint a picture of a woman who was capable of anything to try and escape that guilt. Even disappearing off the face of the Earth.

Owen: You think you know her, Officer Cooper. But you don’t, not really. She did what she had to, to try and start again even if she didn’t believe she deserved it. This was the only option that she believed available to her.

Officer Cooper: What was?

Owen reaches into his back jean pocket and pulls out the letter, sliding it across the table and towards Cooper, but away from Starling. He wanted Cooper to be the first to see it, to gauge the reaction and see if he had any chance of pulling this ruse off. He keeps telling himself that they can’t prove anything. Cooper opens the envelope, and then pulls out the letter, taking a couple of minutes to read it, before then passing it to Starling who starts doing the same, his eyes widening as he takes in the words.

Officer Cooper: So, she is alive… unbelievable.

Starling is no mug and has already clocked the postmark.

Officer Starling: Toronto… does she have any friends in Canada that you are aware of?

Owen: As far as I’m concerned, the only family she had was Scott, and Max her sister. Everyone else is either dead, or she isn’t in contact with.

Starling holds the letter out, and points to the postmark, Owen doing his best not to react.

Officer Cooper: This is dated the 13th of December… when did it arrive?

Owen: Literally this morning.

Officer Starling: Are you sure of that Mr. Cruze?

Owen: Absolutely, it was on the mat this morning when I got back from my run and doing a few errands.

Officer Starling: That’s a little bit difficult to believe.

Owen: It’s been Christmas, everything is slower over the festive period. What’s going on here, do you think I’ve been hanging onto the letter or something?

Officer Starling: You were her friend…

Owen: Yeah, but I thought she was dead…

He turns to Cooper

Owen: You really think I’ve been covering this up?

Cooper gives Starling a look, but then turns to Owen, shaking his head.

Officer Cooper: No Owen, that’s not what we think. You’re right, a couple of weeks isn’t that big a deal this time of year.

Officer Starling: But…

Cooper cuts him off again, Starling looking more than a little annoyed at the interruption.

Officer Cooper: One thing I do have to ask though…

Owen: Go ahead, I’ve got nothing to hide no matter what your colleague thinks.

Owen was staying just on the right side of annoyance so as not to arise suspicion.

Officer Cooper: This letter is from Toronto… if I’m not mistaken, weren’t you competing in Toronto a few days ago?

Starling smirks, fully understanding where Cooper was going.

Owen: Oh, so of course I met up with her right? That’s where you are going with this?

Officer Cooper: I must ask Owen.

He says it with such sincerity, Owen understands that he is just doing his job, and well in fact. Owen didn’t need him doing it too well, however.

Owen: No, I didn’t meet up with her. Whenever I wasn’t competing, or doing promo work for SCW, I was with my fiancée Jennifer, and she can tell you that if you need her to.

Officer Cooper: Fair enough Owen… by the tone of the letter I doubt she would have stayed in Toronto too long anyway, certainly not until New Years.

Owen nods his head, agreeing with Cooper who had probably hit the nail on the head. If he knew Charlotte, she would probably have moved on that day.

Officer Cooper: You don’t mind us hanging onto this do you… let the forensics guys look.

Owen: Be my guest.

Officer Starling: And you haven’t had any further contact other than this letter?

Owen: No

He was quite abrupt, and he knew that, but it seemed apt under the circumstances.

Owen: Look, I could quite easily have just burnt this letter and you guys would have been none the wiser. Do you realize how tough this is for me, ratting out my friend?

Officer Starling: Sir, we are just doing our job

Owen: Yeah, well do it then, and stop accusing people that are trying to help. If I hear anything else, I’ll be sure to let Officer Cooper know.

Cooper, feeling the tension rising gets to his feet, Starling doing the same, eyeing Owen in a way that makes Owen believe that he didn’t believe a word he’d said. Thankfully, it seemed like Cooper did, and even if he didn’t, there wasn’t any way it could be proven either way. It looked like he would get away with his actions even if Charlotte didn’t… and just thinking that making that guilt surge back. Owen gets to his feet, happy that the discussion seemed to be over.

Officer Cooper: Thank you for this Owen, I’m sure the information will be most useful.

Both Officers walk towards the door, Owen following them.

Owen: When you find her, go easy on her yeah. She’s not a bad person, not really.

Officer Cooper: That will be up to the judge, but I’m sure he will take it into consideration. We’ll be in touch if we need you.

Owen: I’m sure you will.

They leave up the driveway, Owen closing the door and exhaling, in a way thankful that his part was now over but knowing that the worst was still to come. He reaches into his pocket, and pulls out his phone, dialing Jennifer, knowing she would be waiting for the call. When she answers, something is said which is inaudible, Owen then replying.

Owen: Yeah, it’s done… don’t think they suspect me.

Jennifer speaks again, Owen lowering his head to look at the floor.

Owen: How do I feel? Honestly?

He pauses, closing his eyes, listening to Jennifer ask the same question.

Owen: Really, really, shit.

+++ 7th January 2023 - New York +++

It wasn’t that things had started to unravel at the back end of 2022, but a spanner had certainly been put in the works. Things had been going so well, and although Owen wasn’t naïve enough to think that there wouldn’t be issues along the way, he didn’t expect to be placed in a situation whereby he would have to grass on his best friend, and then deal with the potential of the Orlando Cruze Memorial having to be torn down. Having told Shaun, he had told Owen not to worry, and that he would look into it, but as far as he was concerned Eric Morris wasn’t going to wait that long and was most certainly not someone who you needed to be on the wrong side of. Thus, arriving in New York, he knew what he had to do, but still walking up to ‘Level Up’ it wasn’t pleasant knowing that the conversation had no way of going well. This was just too important to risk though, and he knew he had no option. But it didn’t make delivering the news any easier. Arriving at the doors to ‘Level Up’ he pauses, and takes a deep breath, before stepping inside, that familiar smell of hard work hitting him like a hammer blow. It is Finch who see’s him first, breaking away from his conversation with one of the residents who was helping with the maintenance side of things to walk over towards Owen.

Finch: Hey man, good to see you. Heck of a title defense New Year’s Eve, pity you couldn’t add the Trios Contract.

Owen: Yeah and Cheers bro, was good getting the first one out the way. Any issues while I was away?

Finch: Nope, and you’ll be glad to know that we’ve had no further visits from the cops, nor heard from Morris.

Owen knew the exact reason for that but keeps it to himself.

Owen: And Jason?

Finch: No issues there either, think he kind of understands your stance now and wishes he hadn’t lashed out, but at the same time…

Owen: He was only protecting you… I know Finch, I know. Just wish he’d not hit one of the most influential people in New York that’s all.

Finch scowls, sensing that something isn’t quite right

Finch: Everything OK?

Owen: Yeah, just a few things on my mind right now… nothing for you to worry about.

They are interrupted by Reed James, who was over by the ring when Owen walked in.

Owen: Well, if it isn’t the talk of SCW right now.

Reed: Give over

Owen: No, seriously… you’re all over the socials right now

Reed: Really?

Owen: Yeah, it’s quite annoying actually seeing as someone defended the World Championship on the same night.

Reed: I hope I didn’t embarrass myself.

Finch: You most certainly didn’t do that Reed. Exactly the opposite in fact.

Owen: I know I didn’t say much on the night, but that was only because I was preparing for my own match and then I wanted to see in New Years with Jen. And it had nothing to do with your performance. You should be proud of yourself. You stood your ground and lasted longer than some people who had far more experience than you did. Once we get chance to look over the footage again, we’ll have a good idea where we stand, and come to a decision as to what we want to do. Till then, just keep working… it’s been six months and you’ve competed on a pay-per-view already.

Reed: Thanks

Owen: No, thank you for putting the school on the map. Now go on, back to work

Reed nods and walks away, Owen turning to Finch.

Owen: He really surprised me… I wouldn’t have ever said it to him, but I didn’t expect him to go that deep.

Finch: Think he surprised a lot of people Owen, not just you. He’s turning into quite the success story for this place.

Owen nods, in the back of his mind knowing that it certainly needed one right now.

Owen: Jason in yet?

Finch: Yeah, ten minutes ago, must be getting changed.

Owen: Am I ok to use the office?

Finch: Sure thing… I don’t need it.

Owen: When Jason emerges, can you send him in?

Finch: Of course, next steps with Reed?

Owen: Yeah, something like that

Owen heads off to the office, Finch not thinking anything of it and why should he? Owen sits himself down at the desk, looking up at the picture of his Father.

Owen: Is this the right thing to do Dad?

Before he can imagine his answer, the door opens, and Jason appears.

Jason: You want to see me?

Owen: Yeah, take a seat Jason

Jason shuts the door and then sits, leaning back in the chair casually.

Jason: Still think Reed would be better served in MMA.

Owen: What?

Jason: That’s what you wanted to talk to me about right? What happens with Reed next? I mean, I know he did well, better than we thought, but did you see those strikes? He’s ready made for Mixed Martial Arts. I reckon he’d be a star.

Owen: No… we aren’t here to talk about Reed. We are here to talk about you Jason.

Jason: Me? Oh…

The penny drops for Jason, this must be to do with the ongoing investigation into his ‘assault’ on Eric Morris, if you could call it that.

Jason: Look, Morris is all mouth, and even if not, the worse that can happen is I’ll get community service or something. Even the cops that took me in reckon it’s all bullshit. If you’re worried about the reputation of this place, I wouldn’t be. Seems like Morris isn’t that liked a guy anyway. It will be fine Owen seriously… they can’t hurt me.

Owen: That’s the point Jason, he’s not trying to hurt you anymore.

Jason shakes his head and shrugs his shoulders.

Jason: I don’t get it

Owen: Just prior to New Years, I got a visit from my contacts at the Town Hall with regards to the expansion into next door.

Jason: Yeah, so?

Owen: They informed me that I couldn’t ‘expand’ any longer, as the building is going to be demolished and turned into a car park.

Jason: Can they do that?

Owen: Yeah, they can… they will be doing in fact and there is nothing I can do to stop it.

Jason: Surely there must be something, work was due to start in a few days.

Owen: Oh, work will start, but not the work we want.

Jason: So why the change of mind…

Owen pauses, and just looks at Jason, waiting for him to realize what Owen was saying.

Jason: Morris?

Owen nods, and then continues now Jason had caught up.

Owen: I can cope with that, I mean we have plans to open in other cities, so not really that big a deal, just disappointing. But then they told me of an ‘issue’ when the playground was sold to put up Dad’s memorial. Seems the land wasn’t the councils to sell… it belonged to a private owner. Guess who Jason?

Jason: Morris again?

Owen: Exactly… and our friend Mr. Morris was starting legal proceedings to overturn the decision and would then raze the memorial to the ground.

Jason: How can he do these things?

Owen: Sounds to me he has everyone in his pocket Jason. Councilors, Police, literally anyone of importance.

Jason: I’m so sorry Owen… I mean, I’m glad I decked him, but I had no idea it would turn out like this. You gotta challenge it, he can’t get away with it.

Owen: Oh, it looks like he can. He told me himself… right in that very Gym.

Jason: He came here?

Owen: Yeah, this time with a couple of goons, not wanting to get his ass kicked again I guess.

Jason: Wish I’d have been here.

Owen: Think you’re in enough trouble bro. No, this time he wasn’t looking for a fight. He wanted to make an ultimatum.

This was it, no turning back from this conversation. This was the part where it all inevitably went south.

Owen: He said that the extension into next door could proceed, he’d drop the plans for a car park. He also said that he would sell the land Dad’s memorial is built on to me for a dollar…

Jason: I don’t understand

Owen looks away from Jason for a moment, but then forces himself to look him right in the eye, knowing that he deserved at least that.

Owen: He’d only do that… if I terminated your employment at ‘Level Up’

For a moment it is as if Jason doesn’t understand what he is hearing. Then, as he starts to digest it, his eyes start to narrow. Eventually, he finds some words, the only question in which he was truly interested in the answer.

Jason: So… what are you going to do?

The question was tinged with menace, though in reality Jason already knew exactly what Owen had decided.

Owen: I’m sorry Jason… I have no choice.

Jason jumps to his feet and slams his hands down on the desk. For a split second, Owen firmly believes that Jason is going to drag him over the desk and attempt to beat some sense into him.

Jason: You do realize he is blackmailing you?

Owen: Of course, I do… but the school, the memorial, the shelter… it’s more important than both of us.

Jason: So, what about what we teach these kids huh? We teach them what’s RIGHT, isn’t that important?

Owen: Of course, it is.

Jason: So is this right Owen, is it right that I’m being fired because some asshole came in and assaulted one of YOUR staff.

Owen: No, it’s not but…

Jason: Fuck you Owen. FUCK YOU!!!

The door swings open, Willow, Jason’s wife stepping inside.

Willow: What’s going on? We can hear you from outside.

Jason: This weak ass son of a bitch has just fired me.

Willow: What? Why? Because of a one-off incident?

Jason: No, because he’s been threatened

Owen: It’s not as simple as that Jason, I told you…

Jason: I know what you told me Owen, but I can’t even look at you right now. You want to think yourself lucky this isn’t five years ago, because if it was, you’d be laying in a pool of your own blood.

Owen see’s Finch stood at the door, Chloe as well, and all activity in the gym has stopped to see what is going on.

Owen: I’m sorry.

Jason: Are you? I don’t fucking care. Screw you and screw this place.

He storms out the office, Willow looking at Owen still not sure what has happened but following her husband. He doesn’t even head to the changing rooms to get his stuff, and instead slams the front door behind him, Willow then leaving too. Finch looks at Owen, who is obviously stunned, and then back out at the gym.

Finch: Come on back to work… nothing else to see.

He then turns to Chloe

Finch: Keep them occupied, will you? I’ll sort this.

Chloe nods, glancing at Owen to try and give him some reassurance but he doesn’t notice. Finch then closes the door, Owen getting to his feet.

Finch: What the hell just happened bro?

Owen: Not here… I need a drink. Coming?

Finch sighs and follows Owen out the office and indeed out the gym, neither of them saying another word.

+++ 7th January 2023 - New York +++

Arriving at a place that he and Finch regularly went to for ‘business meeting’, Owen walks straight up to the bar and orders a double Jack Daniels, Finch declining to join him on the liquor this earlier. After downing it, which at least calms him down a little, he then orders two pints of Coors Lite, before the two of them retreat to a booth. They sit there for an awkward couple of minutes, until finally Finch breaks the silence.

Finch: Thanks for the drink… but are you going to tell me what’s going on now and why you’ve apparently fired Jason. I’ve never seen him like that before.

Owen chuckles to himself, it felt good to laugh even if it was an ironic laughter

Finch: It’s funny?

Owen: No, it’s not, but if I don’t laugh, all I’m going to do is get drunk and that’s never a good idea. Believe me, the old Jason I knew, that is exactly the reaction he had to anything. It’s how he got together with Willow in the first place.

Finch: So, are you going to tell me what’s going on?

Owen: The highlights… Eric Morris stopped the expansion, owns the land that the memorial is built on and threatened to demolish it, all if I didn’t fire Jason.

Finch: Because Jason slapped him around?

Owen: Exactly that reason. He made me choose between loyalty to a friend, or the expansion and memorial. I chose the latter.

Finch: Wow, no wonder he was angry.

Owen: Yeah, and I honestly don’t blame him. But the shelter, the memorial… it’s just too important and will help so many people. I couldn’t let Morris take that away from me, I just couldn’t.

Finch doesn’t react, but instead takes a sip of his drink. He’d known Owen for a long time, and during that time he had always spoken of how important family and friendship was to him. Jason was a friend, and had been seemingly thrown to the wolves, but by the same token, the memorial was his Father’s latest remembrance.

Owen: I take it from the silence you reckon I did the wrong thing. It’s OK if you do bro, I wouldn’t blame you either.

Finch: It couldn’t have been an easy choice for you to make.

Owen: Of course, not… seems I’ve had a few difficult choices of late.

That was a reference to Charlotte, something he’d not told Finch about yet.

Finch: Nothing about business is easy Owen. We both know how important the expansion was to the Shelter, and how many people will benefit from that still going ahead. I also know how important the memorial is to your family, especially Shaun who put it all together, and how awful it would have been to have seen it torn down just because of some assholes grudge. You were put between a rock and a hard place, and you did what you had to do. I get that, and I’m sure Jason will in time.

Owen: I doubt that very much. I reckon I’ve well and truly burnt that bridge.

Finch couldn’t argue that point. It had become clear that he really didn’t know Jason that well at all.

Finch: Well, you know him better than I do. I just know from personal experience that dependent on the person, most things can be forgiven. Let’s face it, you know that better than most.

Owen: True.

Finch: You once told me that time heals most things… well maybe right now you should follow your own advice. It’s happened, it is what it is.

Owen: But do you think I made the right decision?

The question is said with such feeling, Finch knows he cannot avoid it. He also knew that he must be true to himself, and not lie to Owen to make him feel better.

Finch: Honestly bro, this is your show, not mine. You’re the one financing the whole thing, you’re the one taking all the risks. I work for you Owen, but it’s not my place to question you, certainly not on a matter like this. The only thing I would question is how we go forwards from this.

Owen scowls, and then a grin forms on his face

Finch: What?

Owen: When did you stop being my dipshit best friend and turn into someone who talks sense.

Finch: Mom would be proud right?

Owen: She would Finch, she really would.

Finch: But seriously… we got classes to run bro, and then start up after the break in a couple of weeks, we need something in place for then.

Owen: I’ve already given it some thought. Shaun isn’t doing anything so will be happy to help me out, and I’ve also messaged Adam to see if he can pull in a few sessions in between competing.

Owen was talking about Adam Lucas, who had been trained by Orlando at Icon, and who currently was competing in EAW.

Owen: That would only be temporary I’m sure… but it would at least give us some time to work things out.

Finch: And I could put some feelers out… or advertise.

Owen: Exactly

Finch: OK… just promise me one thing Owen.

Owen: Which is?

Finch: Anything like this happens again, let me know. I could have helped; you don’t have to deal with shit like this on your own.

Owen: OK

Finch: Right… now my shout, what you having? Another Jack Daniels to celebrate?

Owen; What we celebrating?

Finch: We’re celebrating that Owen Cruze finally realized that he doesn’t have to do things alone and has people who will have his back no matter what. You do get that right?

Owen nods

Finch: Then, I’ll get the drinks. I might even get you a bag of crisps

Owen: Easy Finch, don’t go overboard.

Finch gives him a playful punch on the shoulder and heads off to the bar, as Owen pulls out his mobile phone, opening a message from an unknown number which simply says, ‘is it done?’. Owen knew it was from Morris, and so puts his phone away, watching Finch as he orders, recognizing just how lucky he was to have him and Chloe around. He knew that Finch would have preferred Jason to stay. Owen even realized that Finch would have preferred him to tell Morris where to go. But this wasn’t about him, it was about the school. It was about the memorial that meant so much to Shaun. Both had been saved, and that was all that mattered going forwards. He HAD made the right choice, and he would continuously tell himself that until he truly believed it. Till that seemingly constant feeling of guilt, he felt these days faded away.

+++ 15th January 2023 - Miami +++

Breakdown had come and gone, and with it, it seemed like his next challenger had been named. Kim Williams had earned the right via a Trios Contract and winning a ‘strange’ match, and it seemed like she was going to get her chance. More importantly, especially for Owen at least, it seemed like she was going to take it seriously. One thing Owen didn’t need now was for his reign to become a joke, something that was possible, if the farce with the whereabouts of the world title hadn’t come to an end. At least now he could prepare, because Kim was a lot of things, and a more than capable wrestler was one of them. To get his second defense under his belt would be vitally important, especially as it looked like there were many others laying in wait, Adam Allocco at Retribution being one of them if he managed to get that far. The dance card was full, and Owen was grateful for that… he needed to make sure this reign was remembered positively, instead of his previous which was barely remembered at all. Now though, back in Miami, Owen was expecting a delivery, which was late. A new laptop to replace his current one which could almost be classed as antique. The knock at the door brings a smile to his face, the delivery driver just ten minutes outside Owen’s allotted slot. He’d planned to complain and hopefully get money off or at least vouchers, now he wouldn’t be able to. He opens the door, and the driver holds out a parcel, pulling out his mobile phone and taking a picture without even a hint of an apology. Even if he had apologized, Owen wouldn’t have heard it, his attention had been drawn to the squad car that had just pulled up at the top of the drive, Owen recognizing Officer Starling in the driver’s seat. The delivery driver, noticing Owen’s looking over his shoulder, turns and smirks.

Delivery Driver: Uh ho… someone in trouble?

Owen: Nah, it’s probably because your rear brake light is out.

Delivery Driver: Shit, it’s not is it?

Owen chuckles to himself but shakes his head.

Owen: No, it’s not… they are here to see me.

The driver obviously isn’t impressed and walks up the drive reaching his van as the cops get out the car, nodding a greeting towards him. Owen puts the parcel in the house, and then closes the door behind him, he had no intention of speaking to them for longer than was required. As they reach him, Starling gives a curt nod, but Cooper is friendlier.

Officer Cooper: Just heading out?

Owen: Yeah, was just waiting for the delivery.

Officer Cooper: Well, we won’t keep you long, can we come in?

Owen: Rather not… if it’s not going to take long

Officer Cooper: As you wish…

Owen catches the dismissive look from Starling but ignores it.

Owen: More questions I’m guessing.

Officer Cooper: Actually no.

Owen: Oh?

Officer Cooper: We’re here to inform you that we’ve found her, and currently have her in our custody. She’s safe.

Owen: That’s… great.

Officer Cooper: I’m sure you have mixed emotions about the whole thing Owen, she is a friend after all.

Owen: No, I’m glad you’ve found her, at least I know she’s safe. I just know what happens next is all… she’s not a bad person.

Officer Staring: So you’ve said many times… doesn’t mean she is above the law.

If there was one thing Owen was happy about, it was that Charlotte being found meant he wouldn’t have to deal with Starling for much longer. He found him more than a little odious, the kind of person he dealt with regularly in SCW.

Owen: I know… she did wrong, but it won’t change my mind on who she is.

He turns away from Starling and back to Cooper

Owen: So where did you find her?

Officer Cooper: As it happens, she was still in Toronto. The local authorities picked her up at Union Station… we haven’t established where she was headed.

Officer Starling: Funny that though, her still being in Toronto just a few days after you were in the City. You sure there isn’t anything in that Mr. Cruze.

Owen: No there isn’t, and it’s hilarious you’re still pushing that narrative.

Officer Starling: I mean, she could have been waiting in Toronto till you arrived, needing money to get away. Seems a bit suspect don’t you think that she would write a letter which so obviously gives away her whereabouts, and then stay there.

Owen: It’s an interesting theory for sure… why don’t you ask Charlotte?

Officer Starling: Oh, we will.

Owen: Good. It’s reassuring to know that our neighborhood cops are so thorough.

Officer Starling: If you had anything to do with this, we’ll find out.

Owen: Well, I didn’t… and there is nothing to find out. And honestly, I’m starting to get a little tired of the implication.

Officer Starling: Maybe that’s because you have something to hide?

Owen: I once stole a library book when I was five… does that satisfy your curiosity?

Officer Cooper: Starling, leave it. We’ve found Ms. Byers, let’s leave it at that yeah.

Officer Starling: For now, …

He was like a dog with a bone and obviously suspected Owen of something but was headed in totally the wrong direction.

Owen: So, what happens now?

Officer Cooper: Well, as she ran away, we will now keep her in custody until sentencing, and then she will be transferred to Miami-Dade County to serve however long she is given.

Owen: Can I see her… in custody I mean?

Officer Starling: I think given the situation, that wouldn’t be a good idea.

Officer Cooper: Until sentencing, it might be best Owen, it won’t be too long.

Owen could see that Starling was really going to try and get something, anything that pointed in the direction of Owen helping whether that be physically, or monetary. Owen had nothing to fear on that score, but the fact he’d held onto the letter was still in the back of his mind feeding that guilt.

Owen: OK, but when she’s in Detention…

Officer Cooper: She’ll be allowed visitors just like all the other inmates.

Owen: And she’ll know how she was found?

Officer Cooper: We couldn’t hide that even if we wanted to. I’m sorry. That’s just something that you and Ms. Byers are going to have to work through. But if she is a true friend, she’ll understand why you did it.

‘Much like Jason has understood when he was fired’ was Owen’s one and only thought.

Officer Cooper: We would always have caught up with her Owen, regardless of the letter. You just may have saved her some time on her sentence, it being over as quickly as it was. But anyway… we won’t take up anymore of your time. And thanks again for the letter, know that couldn’t have been easy, but it really helped.

Owen: Sure

Officer Cooper: Take Care Owen.

Starling gives him another sneer, and then the two of them walk up to the squad car, Owen opening the garage and sitting in his car. He watches in the rear view, as they drive away, giving a deep sigh. He felt bad… he’d always feel bad for what he’d done. If Charlotte couldn’t forgive him, then that feeling would be even worse.
[Image: 270041540-258425806375597-7033161467703002046-n.png]

Messages In This Thread
Kimberly Williams vs. Owen Cruze - by HardyGirl - 01-31-2023, 08:28 PM
RE: Kimberly Williams vs. Owen Cruze - by Owen - 02-02-2023, 01:59 PM
RE: Kimberly Williams vs. Owen Cruze - by Owen - 02-06-2023, 03:14 PM