The Light in the Darkness vs. Polly Playtime & Aisling
With the next Breakdown set to take place in San Diego, it made the most sense for Luz and Amelia to head back home for a change. From their house in Anaheim, it would only be about a two-hour drive to Viejas Arena to have their first proper two-on-two tag team match since the start of the year. Teaming together at Body, Heart & Soul had been nice, but the issues of trying to work with four other people who had very different agendas and philosophies than they did was clearly abundant during that match. Here, they would only need to watch each other's backs as they sought to build momentum for their impending Tag Title opportunity at Retribution against the House of Frost. Being able to return home beforehand went a long way in helping them to refocus and push themselves past any doubts accumulated from recent weeks, creating what they hoped was a fresh start mentally to build on.

That is the reason we find the couple enjoying a peaceful moment that's almost become a bit of a routine for them to help clear their heads for the day ahead whenever they're home. The two of them are standing together out on the balcony, gazing out at the rising sun of a brand new day as they lean against one another, their fingers intertwining. The fact that they're both still in their pajamas doesn't matter to them because they know their message will be loud and clear regardless, especially given who they're facing. The golden glow of the morning illuminates both of them as they exchange a soft kiss before Amelia takes the initiative.

“I know what everyone is waiting to hear, especially a certain someone who I'm sure has a lot to say, so let's address the proverbial elephant in the room. Yes, I am no longer the SCW Television Champion. I wasn't able to defeat Glory Braddock in what was my very first defense of the title. And you know what? I'm not ashamed to admit that. Maybe that comes as a surprise to a lot of you who have been chomping at the bit to throw shade at me about it, but the fact of the matter is that I went hold-for-hold with a woman who was not only trained in the same style of wrestling that I was but has been doing it for far longer than I have. I don't see any reason why I should be ashamed, especially since I came away from that match with a lot to look back on for the next time we meet, and trust me when I say that Glory and I will cross paths in that ring again at some point, of that I'm certain. The fact that I held that title at all is an accomplishment in and of itself to be proud of, and you know what they say: when one door closes, another opens.”

“I'm not going to sugarcoat it: Amelia and I were not expecting to get the news on that particular Breakdown that we were declared the number one contenders for the Tag Team Titles. Maybe we should have given that I did score the winning fall in that crazy twelve-person tag match, but we're never the kind of people to go out and make demands or lay claim to anything. The fact that we have that opportunity at Retribution is proof that management thinks we've earned it, and last week we were more than happy to make sure the Frosts understood that regardless of whatever this situation is about SCW potentially being under new ownership at some point. Ames and I came to SCW to wrestle against some of the best in the business, and that's exactly what we want at Retribution. No tricks, no ulterior motives, no games or distractions from whatever is going on around us... just two teams tearing the house down to show the world that tag team wrestling is alive and well.”

Amelia can't resist chuckling softly at Luz's words, knowing that while her partner's serious about what she said and she wholeheartedly agrees, they both know full well who's waiting for them on Breakdown probably hoping to play a game or two if it means getting her way and having her voice be heard. She can only sigh as she thinks over what she can expect to hear before Luz leans over to give her a gentle peck on the cheek as a silent reminder to not think too much about it.

“It's funny that my partner mentioned games considering who's going to be meeting us in the ring come Breakdown. Most people might come to expect Aisling and Colleen when they see they're facing the Playgirls Three in tag team action, but this time around Polly is throwing her name into the mix instead. To Luz and I, this isn't as much of a surprise as you may think, and I can almost guarantee you that Polly wanting a turn to team with Aisling has to do with two people in particular: Glory Braddock and myself.

Go ahead Polly, get it all out of your system. Gloat about how you had a longer title reign, take all the potshots you want about how I lost the TV Title in my first defense and chew me out for not being able to keep Glory from being one step closer to Supreme Champion status. Do you know what that accomplishes at the end of the day? Nothing. I've already accepted that I lost on that night and moved on because I can only continue to improve as a wrestler and as a person by learning from the past and applying those lessons to the present, not by dwelling on what happened and drowning myself in what-ifs. That's why both Cassie and YUYO have practically moved on from both their issues with you and the end result of that twelve-person tag match to each take a stab at one of the Frosts to make a case for why they should be next in line after us, that's why Chance Owens moved on from his loss to you to go straight to challenging for the U.S. Title, and that's why I'm not dwelling on either my victory over you to get that title or the recent match where I lost it.

Your issue, Polly, is that you dwell so much on past issues that you're too distracted to make the progress you so desperately want.

It's painfully clear that you haven't let go of the fact that you had a chance to become U.S. Champion back when Glory held that title because she brought you into her issues with Hudson and none of that came to pass. Your problems with her have almost become an obsession of sorts. I get it, you don't want to see her become Supreme Champion, but what are you doing to stop it? More importantly, why is it that big of a deal to you in the first place? You practically begged me to retain the TV Title, not because of any respect I'd have hoped to earn from you, but because it kept Glory from getting one step closer. I'm sure you were elated to see Colleen try to get that title back into your camp last week, but Glory managed to prevail over her as well. Glory is doing nothing but succeeding on her own merits, and it's becoming painfully obvious that you're jealous of all the success she's earned in all the time she's been in this company. Perhaps you could've had that same level of success... I mean, you did challenge for the Adrenaline Title that same Breakdown, after all, but Bree was able to overcome you. But while I at least try to respect the fact that you're being yourself, there does come a point where you can't provide the entertainment you're hoping to if you don't adapt to the landscape changing all around you.”

Luz nods in agreement with this, her smile practically fighting with the rising sun to decide which is more illuminating right now. She knows how close Amelia came to spiraling after she'd lost the title and it had taken some work to get her back to this point, but that's what made these two such an effective team. No matter how much you knocked them down, they would always help each other get right back up so they could work hard and earn that chance to try again.

“I wouldn't be surprised if Polly gets so fixated on her issues with my partner that she conveniently forgets that this is a tag match and Ames isn't the only one she's fighting come Breakdown. Allow me to properly introduce myself if that ends up being the case: the name's La Pequeña Luz, tag partner and girlfriend of the woman who ended your TV Title reign and the reason you and Aisling could also say you won at Body, Heart & Soul. That last fact, in particular, is pretty important because while I'm not going to deny the contributions that all of the Playgirls Three had in that match, it's the fact that I scored the winning fall and the two of us were the only ones left standing at the end of that match that is exactly why we were the ones chosen to challenge for the Tag Titles come Retribution, not any combination of the three of you. I earned that win for our team, so it only makes sense that we earned this opportunity because of it, just as you did earn an Adrenaline Title opportunity against Bree because our team won.

If, in the face of all of that, the two of you think you deserve that match more than we do, then here's your chance to get in the ring and put your money where your mouth is.

That said, I do have a bit of a problem with the clear hypocrisy on display from your little group if that's the game you want to play. Take a look at how this year has gone so far and realize that when Amelia had her TV Title shot, she never asked for it, just as we never asked to be declared number one contenders for the Tag Team Titles. Management thought we'd proven ourselves worthy of these opportunities and gave us those chances to see if we could capitalize on it, something we hadn't managed to achieve during our first run here. Meanwhile, look at everything you've had going for you girls within the past year... you earned a Tag Title opportunity but couldn't capitalize on it, so you spent weeks trying to use your numbers to bully the rest of the tag division hoping you could just put yourself right back in contention. Polly was given two opportunities to become U.S. Champion and wasn't able to make it happen, but shortly after that was when she got to have her TV Title reign while Colleen earned her own U.S. Title shot and also fell short. Then Polly's title reign ends and what follows that? An Adrenaline Title shot off the back of being on the winning team in a match that doesn't pan out, with Colleen also trying and failing to bring the TV Title back into your camp.

All of that tells me two important things:

One, you girls really have no room to complain because of the sheer number of opportunities you've had over the past several months that you can only blame yourselves for not capitalizing on.

And two, there's a bit of an imbalance I'm seeing which raises a few questions about you, Aisling.

Now, it would be easy to try and get under your skin about the fact that you don't seem to have had as many opportunities as the other two, but I'm not that kind of person. We've both had to sit through enough of that in the time before we came to SCW whenever one of us was in the middle of a solo reign, and I've been waiting for someone to throw that shot at me because of Amelia's TV Title reign. The fact of the matter is that we both know we're just as capable in that ring on our own as we are standing side-by-side and we support each other no matter what challenges come our way. The thing about you, Aisling, is that you haven't been shy about the fact that you're here mostly to have fun and flaunt what you've got, which... again, just like with Polly, all the respect in the world for at least being yourself, but if there are any issues about why no one else is taking you seriously or you're not getting those same opportunities as her and Colleen, then that might be your answer right there.”

“There's nothing wrong with enjoying what you do, and that's a big part of why Luz and I do this in the first place. But just like with Polly, if something's not working out then something definitely has to change, and sometimes compromises might have to be made. The two of us are very different people from when we first started out in wrestling because we understood that and, while it wasn't always the easiest choice, we've changed things up and adapted accordingly to make up for weaknesses that existed or allowed us to push past barriers to get to where we wanted to be. In your case Aisling, it may be as simple as proving that you can take this a little more seriously than you've shown thus far. Acting like you don't care when you really do only goes so far, and the longer you go without addressing that, the harder it becomes to actually tackle that issue when it becomes necessary.”

Amelia glances over at Luz after she says this, and the two lock eyes in silent conversation for a moment. Whatever it seems to be about, Luz nods in understanding before she speaks once more.

“If there's one thing we know for sure come Breakdown, it's that the Playgirls Three are going to do whatever it takes to get one over on us in a desperate bid to prove Polly's words right and gain support for their belief that maybe they should cut in front of us to challenge Selena and Deanna for the Tag Team Titles. We have no plans on playing any games this time, not when this match means crucial momentum for us and proving that we have what it takes to potentially walk into Retribution and achieve our goal of being able to stand at the top of SCW's tag team mountain together.”

“Polly, Aisling, I'm going to reiterate to both of you what I told Polly prior to our TV Title match several weeks ago: bring your very best to this match, because that's exactly what we're going to do and we already saw what happened the last time this was the case between our two sides. This match is about proving ourselves and sending a message to the Frosts that this is our time to shine and we're going to put every last ounce of our beings into becoming Tag Team Champions, and if you want any combination of your group to reach that point yourselves, this is your chance to make that statement. We don't plan on leaving Breakdown in defeat, though... not when the dawn of our greatest challenge to date is on the horizon and we need all the momentum we can get.”

With that, Amelia and Luz turn their attention away from us and back to the sun that's almost finished rising above the horizon as we fade out, leaving them to their peaceful moment together as they embrace their namesake and take their next step to being The Light In The Darkness, not just for each other but for SCW and its tag division as well.
[Image: VU13RwA.png]

Tag Team Record: 17-7*
La Pequeña Luz Solo Record: 8-5
Amelia Blythe Solo Record: 4-5-1

*The tag team turmoil on the 9/14/2023 Breakdown is counted in this record as the three separate matches LITD had in the gauntlet up until their elimination.

Breakdown 3/30/2023 - Kim Williams' Trios Cash-In
La Pequeña Luz: 3 Falls
Amelia Blythe: 2 Falls
*Neither one finished high enough to win any championships in this match
*Result listed separately and not counted in records due to lack of clarity on how to count falls

SCW Accomplishments
SCW Television Championship (Amelia Blythe - 29 Days)
SCW Television Championship (La Pequeña Luz - 98 Days)
SCW World Tag Team Championship (81 Days)
SCW World Tag Team Championship [2] (Current)
2023 Tag Team of the Year
2023 Match of the Year (Kim Williams' Trios Cash-In)

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Light in the Darkness vs. Polly Playtime & Aisling - by Wisteria Waltz - 03-12-2023, 12:35 AM