Light in the Darkness vs. The House of Frost
The Witches of Alden

”Conference”

Frost’s ‘Forever Home’
Manhattan, New York
March 13th, 2023
2:21pm

It had been a long series of check-ins and paperwork. That was what Deanna could not describe the work as – that is, the work needed to secure the residence applications and payments for the Park family (Sara and Paul) that was needed for them to move into the nearby residence with their daughter, Tannis in order to be closer to her and the hospital that was treating her. Deanna had lost track on the number of forms and phone calls her wife, Selena, had made, the older woman double and triple checking every form and signature to ensure there were no foul-ups and no mistakes or misreadings.

The entire process had taken a bit more than a week, the Snow Queen devoting her time off from SCW programming (appearing on Breakdown as per her job as ‘The Face of SCW’). For the redhead, Deanna was sure Selena had completed the task in three days, but the platinum-blonde’s constant ‘re-checking’, as it were, had filled up the rest of the days.

Selena hadn’t minded one bit. In fact, if Deanna were honest with herself, she could easily see that her wife was enthralled by the work.

Not that she could blame Selena. What other options were there? Within SCW, the place Selena had devoted nearly a decade of her life to, the news was still running rampant of offers being made to buy the company. Not a show would go on without someone mentioning it. Without names like William Mason and Jenni Anderson being whispered as ‘possible future bosses’. Oh, but it didn’t stop there! The rumors continued to run rampant, to the point where names like Silas Mason, Nick Harris from ULW fame, Tim ‘The Sauceboss’, hell even Johnny Dollar – now THAT was a name that hadn’t been heard in awhile – were now being whispered as ‘potential buyers’ putting down offers.

And what was worse of it all… Deanna shuttered a little at the memory… some were even questioning their future within SCW. Whether or not they would stay if ownership shifted. Corruption was beyond obvious in SCW and had been for years. Management or SCW Corporate, there was always something.

There had been many battles throughout the years for SCW’s ‘survival’, as it were, whether it was superstars claiming dominance like The Brand or Infamous or people higher up like Katya D., someone always wanted to control SCW in some way. Still, nothing was shaking the grounds of SCW like this – the idea of the one constant for the last 20 years – the ever-watchful O. D. being gone… and Selena, who had stood by him for nearly 10 of those years, powerless to help or do anything to make things better…

Yeah, Deanna understood perfectly why Selena had thrown herself into this little ‘project’ regarding Tannis and the Park family. In a way, it was the same as with the tag-team championships. While the House of Frost had certainly had some success in that regard with their successful defenses and consistent success with their own matches, for the most part, not to mention the attention their names had drawn upon the division, with such names as Datura/Bree Lancaster, Cassie Wolfe/YUYO, and Light in the Darkness joining the division in the hopes of title opportunities, Selena had been, what was the word? Rather zealous in trying to push things.

For a moment, from where she stood in the kitchen, working on her meat-and-cheese platter of snacks, along with little sandwiches of various kinds (tuna, salmon, egg-salad, and BLTs), the redhead allowed a little smile to grace her features at the memory…

Body, Heart and Soul, while personal and a ‘must-win’ for her far more than Selena, had also been an eye-opener as well of just how well the two of them worked together in the ring. There were times in that match, regardless of how much she hurt or was nearly ‘out-of-it’ that Deanna was still 100% aware of where her wife was, able to predict her beloved’s moves and adjust accordingly and vice-versa. Aside from bringing The One into unconsciousness with The Consortium, the fact that their style and teamwork had been praised from such a mind and judge as Adam Sharper, still made Deanna smile proudly. And it had not gone unnoticed by Selena either. If anything, as previously mentioned, Selena had tried several approaches with management, suggesting bigger matches like ladder matches and cage matches, things that the tag division had not necessarily seen in some time. Of course, none of her ideas had been pushed through beyond her sending them to the office, the reasons now beyond clear.

Even now, with their match with Light in the Darkness coming up this weekend, Selena had been a little grumpy, wishing she could give a bigger match to the pay-per-view than the same ‘standard’ tag match they had had with the Farmstead Friends both times and The One/Nicole Kinneck at the previous pay-per-view. How are we going to bring more people in if it’s always the same? Can’t we add some variety? She had asked a few weeks ago. Of course, the selling of SCW had removed all conversation of such things from her…

For Deanna? It didn’t bother her nearly as much, but she had only been a wrestler for a little over a year, a manager for eight years, nearly two of which she had been in prison and lost track of SCW except for what Selena shared with her in her visits to Frankfurt. She wasn’t as attached to management or ‘who ran it’. Far as Deanna was concerned, none of the options sounded great. And while D. was certainly the ‘better option’ compared to Mason and Anderson, Deanna was not as ‘attached’ to him as Selena was.

In fact, given the previous shows, where the current SCW owner had not only changed her match on the fly, but shortly thereafter, had insulted her as ‘acting like a rookie’…

What the hell does that even mean?! Deanna growled very softly as she finished another sandwich, placing it on the platter-plate, perhaps a little roughly. Was she expected to just smile when crap was thrown at her and just ‘go with it’? Was that what D. wanted? How often had she done that? When Jenni had tried to ‘buy a match with Selena’ and then bailed? Deanna had gone with it and tried to work harder to getting that match. When she had been forced to face Jenni’s ‘substitute’ in the second match, she had gone with that. When she had been denied rematches for when she lost her singles titles of the Television and Underground, she went with that. When Lexy had thrown her into the chamber match the same night as her tag-team title match – and management had APPROVED that change – she had rolled with it. But the one time she raised her voice and said ‘this was NOT okay’ on a sudden, and bias change to favour Owen and Kimberly had her expense, suddenly she was ‘acting like a rookie’?!

No, she wasn’t a fan of O. D. these days, especially with how little he seemed to care about The Frosts with his half-answers, dismissals, and changes in their matches. But she cared about Selena – more than anything – and because of that, she wanted to get these issues resolved and things back on track.

It was partly why she was proud of herself, taking charge in the current matter while Selena had worked on the Parks’ residence… for there was one other matter that needed to be tended to.

With a turn, the redhead gathered the completed plates of sandwiches, cheeses and meats, carrying both plates carefully (beyond grateful at the lack of pain or discomfort in her surgically-repaired arm) further into the room where the lounge was, and the people that sat there. Immediately, her ears picked up the sounds of their discussion, she, herself, keeping silent as she placed the platters on the middle-table, the center piece of the Lazy-Boy to the right, the couch in front of her, and the smaller couch to the left. Remaining silent, the redhead scooted over to the couch to sit beside Selena, her emerald-eyes taking in the exposed back of Selena (who wore a dark-blue backless batwing sleeve tee to go with her jeans). Despite herself, Deanna’s hand gently reached back to run along the web of scars that lined the Snow Queen’s back, the marked individual giving no visible reaction to her wife’s touch beyond the slightest of relaxing of the back muscles as she remained silent. For Deanna, the scars were just driving home her previous – how much Selena had given to SCW and how poorly she was being treated by D. of all people.

Not the time or place to discuss… Deanna settled in her mind, casting her gaze to the company the Frost family were keeping. To her left, on the smaller couch sat Jonathan and Alejandra, Selena’s parents and Deanna’s mother and father-in-law. Like Selena, the two were focused to the pair on Deanna’s right. The ‘less-welcomed’ pair that Deanna had demanded to show up here today to discuss recent events: Caius and Sage Alden.

“You’re certain?” Caius tried from where he stood, the dark-skinned man’s pacing having been consistent since they had all settled in the room.

“Are you saying you can’t read the card, Caius?!” Alejandra balked, gesturing to the card that had been placed on the table. It was the same card Selena and Deanna had been handed at Toni’s weeks ago – an indication of presence, as it were.

“No… I can read it.” Caius tried. “It just makes no sense to us. Right, Sage?”

Looking at the Frost/VanHohenheim couples, the raven-haired woman’s eyes settled on Deanna. Immediately, the redhead recalled their meeting at the grocery store weeks back. Sage had just wanted someone to listen to her, hear her side of things, and it had lead to some kind of understanding, with Deanna suggesting the youngest Alden speak to Alejandra and try and patch things up, or at least come to an understanding all their own. How that conversation went, the Queen’s Guard had no idea, but if they were all managing to be in the same room together, she had to imagine it couldn’t have been terrible.

“Sage?” Deanna tried, reaching out to push the card towards her. “Why doesn’t it make any sense?”

Reaching out, the lean woman plucked the card up, turning it this way and that in her hand before releasing a sigh. “It just… doesn’t.” she answered, before placing the card back on the table. “Raphael Alden has never had an interest in Alejandra.” She explained. “Far as he was concerned, she was exiled and not deemed a member of the family.”

“But who is he?” Selena asked, her eyes shifting from the movement for a moment as Jonathan plucked a tuna sandwich, quietly eating it. “Please help yourselves.” Selena added politely.

“Yes, please.” Deanna supported. “Gods know as soon as the kids see it, they will devour it.”

As if on cue, both Frost wives’ eyes flew to whatever clock they could see. The children would be finishing school soon, with Gerda picking up Ami and David while Elisanna continued to ride the bus, trying to be more social with the other children. It was a momentary distraction, but it was enough for Sage to collect her thoughts.

“To answer your question.” Sage sighed. “Raphael is mine, Caius’, and Alejandra’s distant cousin. In fact…” her eyes found her sister’s. “Remember that distant cousin you were supposed to marry?”

Alejandra’s eyes went wide. “That was Raphael?” she asked in shock. “Oh gods…” she sat back, shaking her head. “Dodged that bullet.”

“You remember him?” Deanna asked, though it was more to keep the conversation going as opposed to her inability to guess the obvious.

“From what I remember? He was a self-entitled prick.” Alejandra remarked. “Gods, he was obsessed with being the richest family of the Aldens! And those parties his parents threw? It was like those tv-shows. Downton Abbey?”

“I see.” Selena remarked. “So I’m guessing he’s not well liked.”

“Not by most of us.” Caius added, still pacing. “Still, he did not seem to take it personally when Alejandra disappeared. More of a ‘plenty of fish in the sea’ kind of thing.”

“Sounds like a real Don Juan…” Jonathan muttered, crossing his arms over his chest after finishing his sandwich. The food continued to be picked at by everyone, Selena truly enjoying the cheese and meat slices with Deanna, as the conversation continued.

“He was.” Sage rolled her eyes. “He even tried to hit on me as some sort of substitute after Allie disappeared.”

“Please don’t call me that.” Alejandra reminded her sister.
“Right, sorry.” The younger woman shook her head. “Anyway, dad put a stop to that – said it was rather disgusting to go from one girl to her sister so quickly. Only time I saw Raphael be embarrassed like that.” She smiled at the memory. She’s got some spunk. Deanna thought, stealing a quick glance towards Selena. I can see that it runs in the family…

“And last I checked…” Caius continued. “He got married and is some kind if investor – philanthropy, entrepreneurship. Something like that…”

“But since he’s not really close to us.” Sage gestured to the people in the room. “Contacting Selena and Deanna makes zero sense.”

“Perhaps he’s bitter.” Deanna shrugged. “Maybe something happened and he blames Alejandra or something? Like ‘the future he didn’t have’-“ he voice trailed off as she saw all eyes focusing on her. “What?” she gave a shrug. “It worked for Killjoy.”

“Who?” Caius asked.

“Never mind.” Selena shook her head, the Snow Queen not wishing to rehash that particular batch of history. “But Deanna has a point. We were both very clear that we wanted nothing to do with the Alden family. Same with my mother.” She saw Alejandra give a nod. “I would have hoped that you would have passed that message along to the other members to simply leave us be.”

“We did!” Sage assured. “Mother was upset and a little irritated but she slowly understood. I mean… forty years, right?”

“But we said we wouldn’t force you and we meant it, Selena.” Caius added before casting his dark gaze towards Alejandra. “Same with you, All- Alejandra.” He quickly corrected. “Believe me when I say that Raphael is acting on his own. And why that is? We’re not sure.”

“Well, maybe it’s nothing….” Alejandra tried. “I mean, what did he do? He paid for a dinner? So what? I mean, he’s gotta be what? Sixty? Sixty-five?”

“Mom…” Selena sighed. “I wish it was that easy, but it’s not something I can just dismiss. Neither can Deanna. From the Scythes, to the Frostmeres, to Killjoy – Celina – everything has had a ‘reason’. And that’s what’s missing here. A reason. Like-“ she cast her gaze to Sage and Caius. “Where is the Alden clan focused?”

“We’re all over the map.” Caius gave a shrug. “But a good chapter of us are holed up here in York and Jersey.”

Alejandra nodded. “That’s why I fled back here when I was exiled from Nome.” She admitted. “I didn’t want to be near the family but it was the only place I knew besides Nome.”

“Alright.” Selena nodded. “But that just proves my point. How did he know Deanna and I would be attending Toni’s that night?”

“And why would he go out of his way to make his presence known when Caius told everyone to back off?” Deanna added.

“Especially knowing that the first thing we would do-“ Selena continued, Deanna coming in to finish the same time she did, the two speaking in unison. “Is tell all of you and rat him out.” The two stopped, not even needing to eye each-other at their like-mindedness. It was the same as when they were in the ring together. They just…knew what the other was thinking. Though she gaze no stolen glance at her wife, Selena did reach her hand out to take Deanna’s, who clasped onto it tightly with her own.

“None of this screams ‘innocence’, mother.” Selena rationed. “Especially given our history. And that is what unnerves me. The fact that we can’t do anything about it when we don’t know anything.”

“I get it.” Alejandra sighed, shifting a little in her seat. “I just was trying to be positive.”

“I say we don’t let it bother us.” Jonathan suddenly offered, his voice strong in the room. “I mean, we could waste hours discussing what-ifs but it could all be for nothing.”

Again, Selena sighed, reaching up with her free hand to bridge her nose. “Father, I can understand that, too. But last time we ‘waited’? Killjoy incarcerated Deanna, almost killed Talia, and you know the rest.

Immediately, the eldest person in the room sat back, nodding his head. “Okay, yeah, I didn’t think that.”

“So, what do you suggest, hunny?” Alejandra asked, her hands clasped in front of her as they rested on her knees.

Turning her gaze towards Caius and Sage, Selena eyes the two Aldens. “Can you contact him?”

“Yes, I think so.” Caius nodded. “I mean, we’re not in steady communication but he does have a phone number and-“

“Call him.” Selena ordered. “Tell him I’ll meet with him.”

“Selena!” Deanna remarked in surprise and alarm. “I thought we were didn’t want-“

“And I don’t!” Selena restated. “I don’t want anything to do with him. But we’re not going to get anywhere guessing what his next move would be. He clearly wants us to know him so let’s get it over with! I’ll meet with him, see what he wants and send him packing! Simple as that.”

A slight groan came from the seated Sage. “I don’t think it will be as ‘simple’ as that.”

“What?” Selena laughed. “You think I would be charmed by a sixty-plus year old that almost married my mom?” she teased. “I’m a little twisted by that’s Ravyn Taylor twisted.”

“Who?” Sage asked.
“Nevermind. Girl from work.” Selena answered. “Made a sex video with a much older man – big scandal at work.”

Eyebrows raised, including the VanHohenheims, both members clearly having questions about the ‘work’ Selena was associated with as an active SCW wrestler. “Never mind.” Selena repeated. “I’m sorry I brought it up.” She shook her head, her braid moving a little with her movements. “Why do you think sending this guy packing won’t be simple, Sage?”

Sage gave a slight tilt of her head this way and that. “Raphael is a… well, he’s a powerful man.”

“So was Malcolm Scythe.” Selena remarked, earning a nod from Sage – the Aldens having researched Alejandra’s history in their search for her to know the name.

“Perhaps.” Sage replied. “But he’s never really dealt with ‘no’ very often. I mean, had it not been for father, he could have easily married me.” Again, she shuddered at the idea. “He’s used to getting what he wants.”

“Okay, dumb question…” Deanna asked, after hearing the same thing a few times. “How ‘rich’ is this guy?”

Sage and Caius cast a glance at one another for a moment, seeming to silently communicate with one another before turning their attention back to the Frost wives. “Have you…” Caius tried to explain. “Ever heard of Strict & Alden?”

“No.” Selena shook her head.

“What about ‘Alden Alternates’?” Sage tried.
“Nope.” Deanna answered.
“Hemlock Productions?”

“Oh!” Selena remarked. “Yeah, I think it’s a production company – yeah! I read about them when I was looking into idea for Four Seasons Imperia! Wait – that’s him?”

Sage gave a nod, as did Caius. “One of his many areas of investment. The ones we mentioned? A law-firm. The other, a clothing store. Film, real-estate, car dealerships, Raphael has his hands in all of them.”

“Oh…” Deanna’s eyes widened. “So he’s not just rich… he’s like stupid, ‘Bruce Wayne’ kind of rich.”

“I’d say so.” Sage answered. “Why do you think he thinks he’s untouchable?”

“Yeah, well…” Selena huffed. “He couldn’t buy my mom.” She eyes Alejandra. “Whatever he wants from me, he’s not going to buy it from me.”

A sudden clash of thunder suddenly shook the house (only a little, but the sound echoed), causing all within the family room to jump a little, eyes casting to the balcony section past Sage and Caius. The large window-doors showed the heavy rain that had descended upon the area, even the sound of the raindrops were fat and sloppy sounding.

“Oh dear…” Selena remarked, pushing herself out of her chair. “Deanna can you-“

“I’m already calling Gerda.” To the Snow Queen’s surprise, the redhead was already up, and across the room, fiddling with her cellphone. With a grateful smile, Selena moved the few feet need to place a gentle hand on her wife’s arm. However, before Deanna could hit the dial button, the front door was suddenly unlocked, allowing a the sound of thunder to be even louder as another lightning bolt struck nearby outside. Still, both Deanna and Selena could see the four figures as they rushed into the house.

“Just made it!” Gerda remarked, the elder woman shaking guiding the children into the space before closing the door behind her. “Now, children, get out of those wet coats and make sure you hang them up in the laundry room.”

“Yes, Aunt Gerda.” David remarked, as did Elsianna and Amiliah before the quartet spotted Selena and Deanna approaching them, the taller Selena smiling.

“Glad you made it without getting too wet.”

“We would have been here sooner, dear.” Gerda explained. “But Elsianna had already gotten on the bus, which had left, so I waited near the bus stop to collect her.”

“Elsianna?” Selena caught her eldest daughter before she had disappeared to the basement. “Did you thank Aunt Gerda for waiting for you so you didn’t get too wet?”

“Yes, mother.” Elsianna nodded before excusing herself to hang her coat up in the laundry room to dry.

“Sandwiches and snacks are upstairs in the family room!” Deanna called out.

“Yay!” David’s voice called out. “I’m hungry!”
“Hungry!” little Amiliah repeated, following her older brother as he, too, made his way to the basement to complete his task first. “Can we play Mario?” she added to David.

“No Mario till homework is done.” Selena warned from where she stood by the stairs that led to the basement.

With everything settled, Selena ushered Gerda into the family room where the others were. “Stay at least till the storm dies down. You’re a good five, ten minute walk from here.” She added, the thunder from another clasp of lightning almost drowning out her voice.

“Oh it’s just water.” Scoffed Gerda, though she allowed herself to be brought further into the warm house.

“Something to drink?” Deanna offered.

“No, no – I know my way around.” Gerda winked and immediately went to work in the kitchen making herself some tea. It did not take long before she noticed the others sitting in the family room. “Ah…Jonathan, Alejandra.” She greeted warmly.

“Gerda.” Smiled Alejandra, Jonathan simply giving a polite nod. “Thank you for looking after the children.”

“Delighted too.” She grinned before refocusing back on her tea-making task, allowing Selena and Deanna to return to their guests, for lack of a better word.

“Sorry.” Selena shook her head. “What were we talking about?”

“Contacting Raphael for you.” Caius reminded, his pacing having stopped in favor of standing in place to grant him easier access to glaring. “And I don’t recommend it.”

“No, I remember that. He’s rich, he’s entitled, he doesn’t like hearing the word ‘no’. Blah blah.” Selena sighed. “Do you have any idea how many people I’ve dealt with that are like that? And I’m not above filing a restraining order if I have to.”

“Caius…” Sage called to her brother, pushing herself out of the chair and to her feet. “Maybe this won’t be a bad idea.” She waited until the taller man had turned his head to her. “I still stand by this not being easy where Raphael is concerned, but I-“ her eyes flitted over to Selena and then Deanna. “I think I agree with the Frosts. Yes, Raphael is a powerful man and rich, but he’s not some demon or murderer or whatever, right?”

“No, I don’t think so.” Caius shrugged. “If we had heard anything, we’d have dealt with that as a family.”

“Oh gods, that like the mafia?” Deanna asked.
“What? No!” Caius shook his head. “We’d investigate and if we found anything, we’d turn him over to the authorities… like normal people!”

“Oh good.” Deanna breathed a sigh of relief. “Least there’s that going for us.”

“Right.” Sage continued. “So, maybe a confrontation of sorts wouldn’t be so bad. And if we go with Selena and Deanna, Raphael will see that the Aldens support her decision and maybe that will be enough to make him back off whatever he has planned.”

The dark man seemed to contemplate this for a moment, stroking his finely-trimmed beard before slowly nodding his head. “Alright. I’ll make the arrangements.”

“Thank you.” Selena and Sage said at the same time, that time both of them were surprised at that, but quickly recovered.

“But I think you should take our advice, Selena. Let Sage and I go with you and Deanna when you do meet him. I think it will say far more AND will work in your favor to getting the distance from the Aldens that you wish for.”

Selena only gave the suggestion a moment of thought. “Alright.” She nodded. “I can’t see the fault in your logic and any way I have to just get this over with and move on, I’d be grateful for. The sooner the better.”

The earnestness in Selena’s voice was easily picked up by Deanna, the redhead, once again, casting her eyes down to the platinum-blonde’s exposed back and the scars that lined it. She knew what her wife was quietly implying, as it was only relevant to the two of them.

Retribution.

Despite everything that had happened, the Frost wives were actually looking forward to their tag match with Light in the Darkness, who had gone out of their way to try and assure them of their desire for a decent, integrity-filled match that would help represent the tag-team division. With the Parks safe and established closer to the hospital, both women wanted to focus on, possibly, the first tag-team defense The House of Frost would have that was devoid of the personal drama and BS that was filling SCW more and more with each passing show and pay-per-view, not to mention all of their title defenses up to that – Deanna instinctively scratching her scarred arm in remembrance. Being ready, if that was what they wanted to be – and there was no reason to not want that, meant training, studying, and putting the distractions like this and the sale of SCW to the side as soon as they could. So, her wife’s urgency made complete sense to the redhead.

Caius, however, merely gave a nod before everyone heard the sound of feet rushing up the stairs: two pairs of quick feet and a slower, gentler third pair. Within seconds, Deanna’s children bounded into the room, Elsianna taking a bit longer to walk quietly. Immediately, David’s eyes locked onto the platter on the room.

He was quick. Deanna was quicker, reaching over to lift both trays before he made it to the table. “Last call for foods before I give it to the vulture!” she teased, even sticking her tongue out playfully at her now pouting son. After a shake of the head from everyone, she carefully placed the plates at the kitchen table in the middle of the room. “Don’t eat too much.” She warned David. “Dinner is in a few hours-“

She had barely gotten the words out of her mouth before he dug in, immediately going for the meats and cheeses – just like his mother had, though far more ravenously. He can’t be THAT hungry with the lunch I make him… Deanna thought, but dismissed as Amiliah reached the table, wanting and getting a hug from Deanna before joining her brother. Elsianna was last and remained quiet, adjusting her gloves on her hand and forearms before silently helping herself to one of the salmon sandwiches.

With the children sufficiently distracted by food and watched over by Gerda, Deanna returned to her wife’s side. “So, we’ve got a plan?” she sought to confirm. “Caius will get this Raphael guy?”

“The ninja turtle?!” David asked, peeking from his plate of food.

“Don’t be rude, David.” Selena warned gently. “This is an adult conversation.”
“But are there ninja turtles?” He asked, his eyes pleading.
“No ninja turtles.” Alejandra stated. “We’d tell you if there were.”

“Okay…” David sighed. “Sorry.” He added before returning to his snacks, allowing Deanna to continue.

“Okay, so Caius will get…” she stole a glance at her son. “The guy to meet with us soon as possible. We deal with that, done deal and-“ while Selena nodded, Deanna noticed Sage staring at the three children who quietly ate at the table under the watchful eye of Gerda. Biting her lower lip, she hesitantly walked towards Selena and Deanna.

“Umm…are they?” she whispered low so only the two could hear her, causing the Frost wives to gaze at their children.

“Are they?” Selena asked.
“Yours.” Sage asked. “They so beautiful.”
“Yes, they are. On both fronts.” Selena explained.

“Can…” again, Sage bit her lower lip nervously. “Do you think I could meet them?”

Despite herself, Deanna couldn’t answer ‘yes’ right away, despite her best efforts to do so. She knew Selena and the situation too well and, really, this was Selena’s decision. Not hers. This was Selena’s family and, like the decision to not get involved with the Aldens, Selena needed to make this call.

Silently, the redhead watched her wife cast a nervous glance at her children sitting there before turning her head back to Sage. “I…” she tried. “Not yet, Sage. I’m sorry but I don’t want – with how not knowing how things are going to go…”

Sage’s hopeful expression fell, but she gave a small nod. “I understand.” She answered glumly.

“I just…” Selena tried so hard not to sound cruel. “I’d rather you solve the issues with my mother first and then if that works out, we can talk about you getting to know the children. They’ve met and lost too many family members to count at this point. Especially Elsianna.”

“I get it.” Sage replied, her voice still low. “I shouldn’t have asked. I overstepped. My bad.” She quickly returned to Caius side, keeping her eyes gazed out the balcony window to the storm outside as it continued to rage on. Turning her gaze back over to her wife, Deanna saw her wife watching Sage for a moment, hesitation written all over her pale features, the Snow Queen even stepping towards her with one step before drawing back, standing in her decision.

“It’s okay.” Deanna whispered to Selena. “You’re right.” Selena turned her sapphire gaze towards her. “Focus on Raphael, the pay-per-view, THEN we can revisit…” she gestured towards the four people in the family room. “All of this.”

“Yeah…” sighed Selena, grateful for her wife’s support. She saw a flash of lighting light up Selena’s eyes for the briefest of seconds before Selena turned her attention back to the adults.

We’ll figure this out. Deanna promised herself as she watched Selena lay out more of the ‘plan’ with the others. We’ll deal with this issue, train like hell and be ready for Retribution… and then I’ll deal with that ‘act like a rookie’ jab…

It was actually the last two that Deanna was looking the most forward to…

The Guard Tower

The camera opens up into a small forest. The sun is shining, the sound of birds and other animals can be heard for a moment before the shot focuses on the red-haired woman sitting on a large rock in the middle of the grass and trees. Her red hair complements the burning sun, while her emerald eyes match the green of the foliage, grass and that of her clothes – an emerald green sweater and black jeans. She seems rather at peace with things, explaining her serene look as she takes a deep breath before turning her head towards the camera.

What’s up, Gritters? the Queen’s Guard, Deanna Frost, smiles, even waving at the camera and her audience. And welcome to the buildup towards Retribution! Outdoor Edition!

She sticks her tongue out a little bit between her teeth in a smile at her playful joke, before laughing a little.

Actually, I know this isn’t the best setting for a promo because… well, it’s not a wrestling ring. It’s not some fancy hotel suite or ‘setting’ to express how ‘tough’ or ‘driven’ or ‘classy’ I am or whatever. It doesn’t invoke feelings of anger or hostility. This is peaceful…

Looking around, her hands holding one knee close to her chest while the other leg hangs off the rock, Deanna gives a little sigh.

But, the thing is, I didn’t want to do a promo angry and if I had gone anywhere else like Selena did, that’s exactly what would happen. Because… I may have said this before… I’m not Selena Frost.

She uses one hand to tuck some red strands of hair behind her ear. See, with all the news that has shaken SCW to its core, Selena has been more hurt and concerned. And let’s be honest here, guys, she’s not concerned about her future in wrestling. This isn’t a stab or boost to ego or anything, but I think there isn’t a True Believer or Gritter out there that believes that Selena Frost couldn’t exist without SCW at this point in her ability and renown. There was a time that she was wrestling in three federations at once: IWC, ULW, AND SCW. Just recently, while being the biggest name in SCW, she was also wrestling with TIA productions across the World Series of Wrestling. And since then, offers from XWF, SinCity Wrestling, Ravenloft, the whole alphabet of federations have been coming in, asking for her to work shows for them. So, Selena hasn’t been scared for her ‘job’ as a wrestler or as a provider for our family anymore than I have been.

Deanna shakes her head.

No, Selena has been scared for the future of SCW. She’s been scared about what could happen to everything she values in SCW. Everything she loves about SCW. The divisions like the world and the world tag-team. The divisions she helped build up like the Adrenaline and the United States title divisions. The standard she helped raise with the world title – all of it. She’s scared what will happen for all of you, the SCW Universe. And she’s hurt – hurt that so many years fighting for these things in SCW, fighting for integrity when nobody else would, and she literally had to grab the arm of her boss to get some answers.

Biting her lower lip, Deanna looks away for a moment.

But I’ll let my wife talk about that when she feels ready. Because, like I said, I’m not my wife. And I wasn’t hurt… Deanna turns her head back to the camera. I was angry.

I was angry when my match with Owen Cruze was altered to play up the main-event of Body, Heart and Soul at my expense. I was angry when the man that I respected in Mr. D. was responsible and then said I needed to stop ‘acting like a rookie’. And I was angry when he lied to my wife’s face and said changing the match was for my benefit.

Deanna shakes her head. You know what would have been for MY benefit, MISTER D.? Letting me test my skill one-on-one with the world champion with ZERO drama and BS. Letting me see if I could BEAT the world champion because I was better than him. But you didn’t really care about that. You wanted to build up the pay-per-view main-event and build up Owen vs Kimberly Williams, so who cares about Deanna Frost, right? Same thing happened when I faced Adam Allocco and you had management play up that ‘5 moves of doom’ nonsense across the board for weeks. Who cares if it shattered my credibility after I had just won my first title in SCW!

Or how about ‘conveniently’ ignoring my part in that Twitter war between Josh Hudson and Owen Cruze a week or so ago? Yeah, I was the third person in that party, Mr. D., I was there challenging Hudson, who wanted a challenger for the United States title. Funny how THAT wasn’t even mentioned-

Stopping herself, Deanna slowly breathes in and out, trying to calm her frustrations. See, guys? I’m just getting upset over things in SCW that I can’t control and I shouldn’t be. Do I like how I’ve been treated? Not really, nor do I like what the boss is saying about me. Telling me not to ‘act like a rookie’ when he’s the one not acting like an honest, caring owner with this meeting people in secret. He wouldn’t have revealed anything to the SCW Universe if Selena and I hadn’t hounded him, demanding answers!

But I’d be lying if I didn’t take his words personally. Because what does that even mean? ‘Acting like a rookie’? Why, because I got upset that my match – my biggest opportunity in my career thus far – got turned into a farce? What? Should I have just rolled with it? How many legends and Hall of Famers have complained about their matches? Hell, Kimberly Williams is at it again since losing the Underground title, proclaiming she won’t show up for the pay-per-view until she gets her umpteenth shot at the Underground title – and here I thought it was 2023, not 2022. Is that ‘acting like an SCW superstar’? Cause if so, Selena and I are still waiting on a few singles title rematches that we never got…

Is ’acting like a rookie’ standing up for the integrity and saying ‘this isn’t right’ when it’s blatantly disrespected? Should I just smile and ‘go with the flow’ when changes are made on the fly? Cause I tried that, Mr. D. and you know what happened?
Holding her arm up, Deanna slides her sleep up, revealing the long scare running up her forearm. I got thrown into a chamber match I never asked to be part in and got my arm broken! Was that ‘acting like a rookie’?

For a moment, Deanna shakes her head. I don’t know. Should I be more like people who’ve been here as long as me? Like The One? You know, taking out superstars backstage, putting people on the shelf over bitterness and jealousy? Is that what you’re looking for, Mr. D.?

Her lower jaw shifting left, then right in thought, Deanna slowly shakes her head.

No. If THAT is what I’m expected to act like with ‘people watching me’, as you said, D., than you can take that remark about my behaviour and shove it! Shove it, shovel it, and bury it in the backyard with whatever money trees you’ve got there! Because I’d rather be a ‘rookie’ and do what I know is right for me, for my wife, and for SCW then sell out my beliefs for your ‘standards’ and the board’s ‘expectations’. I’d rather be respected for what I do, call out the crap when I see it, and bring all of that integrity to the ring than sell out and be like The One or Kimberly just to curry your favor and be worth your attention and efforts beyond snide remarks.

So I don’t care if you think my behaviour and dislike of your choices is ‘like a rookie’. I’m going to continue to be me and fight for what I believe in, whether you or whoever you sell SCW to likes it or not!

With a strong exhale from her nose, Deanna softly ‘resets’ herself mentally, adjusting her seat on the stone before continuing.

Because I don’t plan to act like anything but a champion come Retribution when The House of Frost defends the tag-team titles once again: This time against Light in the Darkness. And Amelia, La Pequena Luz, I know my wife will talk about this as well, but I don’t want you to think my anger with certain things regarding SCW has anything to do with ill-feelings I have towards this match.

To be honest, ladies, this match is one of the few things that I’ve been looking forward to since Body, Heart and Soul ended and this match was announced. Know why? Because of you two.

You two had every reason to let our frustrations and fears regarding the future of SCW get in our heads and throw us off our game. You could have just let that be our focus and we could have easily lost focus with defending the tag-team championships. But you didn’t. Twice you came to us and twice you reminded us why Selena and I are here. Why we’re the tag-team champions in the first place. Because we love this division. Because being the tag-team champions with my wife has been a dream come true and the idea of making the division worthwhile so that teams like you and Bree/Datura and Wolfe/YUYO come clamoring for it has been beyond fulfilling!

And for you two to ask us – The House of Frost – for a match of integrity? To metaphorically tear the roof down? To show SCW and its prospective future owners how we do things here? Gods… Selena and I needed that. We needed to hear that. We needed to hear that what we believe in isn’t just something that people are dismissing but an ideal shared by many in SCW. That people WANT integrity in SCW. That people want this to be more than just tainted matches, screwjobs and drama and about the will and grit of its combatants!

Deanna offers a smile for a moment, rocking a little on her stone.

It’s funny, Amelia, because you and I have quite a bit in common. We’ve both been having some hardships lately. You won and lost the TV title in a short fashion, I did, too. Both been having some trouble exploding onto the singles division like we would have wanted. We’re trying to carve a name for ourselves and our families – I get it Amelia. I get what it’s like. I know what you and Luz are feeling! I know because I was there, Amelia. I’ve been there before!

Holding up her hand, Deanna reveals the ring and band on her finger. I know what it is like to want to fight beside the person you love more than anything in this world. I know what it’s like to consider the idea of being the world tag-team champions. I know you two have been tag-champions elsewhere, but let’s face it: there’s nothing in this world like the SCW tag-team titles are there?

She smiles knowingly.

That’s why you two came back here after recovering from near-ending injuries, right, Amelia? You from your neck injury and Luz from her concussion? Seeing those titles? Seeing what the House of Frost can do? What we did that no other team could do in SCW in beating the Farmstead Friends? You two could have gone anywhere – possibly becoming the tag-team champions wherever you went - but you came here because when it comes to being the best in tag-team wrestling, the SCW titles stand heads and shoulders above everyone else!

I get it, Amelia. Luz. I was there too. I wanted that. I still want that. I love being tag-champion with Selena. I love that us being the tag-champions is bringing more teams back in SCW – people that want to fight actual wrestlers like us rather than a couple of guys in masks and furry-costumes making jokes and parodies. The tag-team division deserves better than that. It deserves the integrity you’re asking for and that The House of Frost has worked so hard to provide.

Taking a moment to bite her lower lip, Deanna considers her words a little before continuing.

And I get your concerns about getting to this point ‘too fast’. Selena and I were also launched up the ladder just like you and the world wasn’t sure if we were ready – we weren’t sure if we were ready. All the controversy surrounding SCW? Lexy breathing down our necks? Selena still needing to look over the world title division like she promised? And me? Of course I’d be seen as ‘the weak link’ of the team – hell, you heard D. just the other week, right?

But, ladies, the fundamental difference that exists between Light in the Darkness and The House of Frost is a certain mentality. See, we may have doubted if we were ready to take on the tag-team champions with all the controversy and tainted finishes they were settling for, but never, not once, did Selena or I doubt if we were good enough to be the tag-team champions. I knew that not only could Selena and I work together, we could do it in a way that SCW had never seen before. We could be a tag-team unlike SCW had ever seen before. Not just in trust and love but with our styles perfectly complimenting one another’s.

And it wasn’t easy! It took months of training and stumbling and falling and having my arm in a damned cast-
she chuckles humorlessly at that. But we did reach that point – and because our journeys have had such similarities, Luz and Amelia, and I have been where both of you were, whether it was feeling like ‘the weak link’ in the team or lost in the shadow of my family or feeling ‘inadequate’ due to short title reigns – I know what you both are feeling.

But that’s why I know how this is going to end.

Deanna sighs, reaching up to scratch the back of her head. Because you two are going to come at us with everything – just like you promised before and will, undoubtedly, promise again. You’re going to come at us with everything you’ve got. All your luchador styles, grappling, experience, all of it! You’re gonna come at us like you’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain, because that’s actually exactly how it is!

You’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain! And that’s all you’re thinking about, girls. If that’s one thing I realized when you approached us twice to talk about ‘forgetting the world and all the changes in SCW and focus on the now and Retribution’, it’s that all you two care about is winning and holding the titles, just to say that you did it.

You have that luxury. You have the luxury of being content with that. Of ‘just wanting to hold the titles once’. But what then, girls? Amelia – let’s say you do succeed? What happens then? What are you going to do when Glory comes hounding after you? The tag-titles are all she has left to become Supreme Champion, thanks to you. What are you going to do when she comes after you to take another title from you? And just like that, the tag-titles become nothing more than Glory’s scavenger hunt for another accolade. What are you going to do, Amelia, when you couldn’t beat her last time? What are you going to do for the tag-team division when you’ve already got everything you’ve wanted – your ‘moment’ achieved? Cause we all remember what happened when Adam Allocco got his ‘moment’…

Luz? What are you going to do against The Farmstead Friends? The team you couldn’t beat? Or if Infamous comes back for another go? What are you going to do Luz when you can’t go to them like you did for Selena and I and request a fair match? Or you try and go to them and they laugh at you before trying to put you back on the shelf like The Golden Boys did? What then?

Deanna is silent for a moment, letting her questions sink in.

See, you two have the luxury of only thinking up to Retribution. Of fighting like you have nothing to lose? Selena and I? We’re always thinking about the future. Especially now! We’re always thinking about SCW’s future. Unlike you two, while I respect and appreciate what you asked for, we can’t just turn it off and ‘forget about our worries and our strife’ like Baloo and the bear-necessities. We can’t ‘Hakuna Matata’ the reality that SCW stands on the verge of the biggest change in its life and it needs people like The House of Frost fighting for its survival, fighting to bring in more teams like you, into its ranks! Fight for the letters to still mean what they say! Because while you’re not thinking about tomorrow past Retribution, Selena and I are fighting to make sure there even IS a tomorrow for you, for us, for the tag-team division, for all of SCW!

And between your ‘fight like you have nothing to lose’ and our ‘fight like we have everything to lose’? I’m sorry girls, but the advantage is clearly ours. The passion is clearly ours. The drive to fight for SCW’s future and the refusal to surrender is clearly in favor of The House of Frost and it may only come down to a moment – a single mistake – a second, but it will be all the difference in the world and why we will be retaining the SCW world tag-team championship titles at Retribution!

A smile graces Deanna’s lips. And whether it’s ‘the way of the rookie’ or whatever in the eyes of Mister D., THAT will be how we do things in The House of Frost! With inteGRITy and honor for all!

Checkmate, bitches!

The camera fades on Deanna sitting in her forest before fading entirely to black.
[Image: hffOaUZ.png]
SCW Supreme Champion
6x SCW World Champion
4x SCW World Tag-Team Champion
2x SCW United States Champion
3x SCW Adrenaline Champion
SCW Television Champion
Longest Reigning SCW World Champion (234 days)
Winner of Shot of Adrenaline Tournament (2016)
Winner of Best of the Best Tournament (2016)
Winner of Trios Tournament (2018)
Winner of U.S. Championship Tournament (2020)
Winner of World Championship Tournament (2023)
Winner of Tactical Warfare (2014, 2019)
Winner of Elimination Chamber (2015)
Winner of Roofed Cage Match (2019)
Winner of Last Person Standing Match (2019)
The Unbelievable Main Event (2021-2023)
Winner of Double Jeopardy Match (2022)
Winner of EOTY Invitational (2023)
Female Wrestler of the Year (2016, 2021, 2022)
Tag-Team of the Year (2020 - w/ Regan Street)
Match of the Year (2018, 2019, 2021, 2023)
Feud of the Year (2014, 2019)

[Image: 34zetxl.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Light in the Darkness vs. The House of Frost - by SnowQueenSCW - 03-21-2023, 04:43 PM