Light in the Darkness vs. The House of Frost
OOC: Selena’s roleplay. Continues from Deanna’s.

The Witches of Alden

”Powerless”

Tony’s Di Napoli
New York City, New York
March 17th, 2023
3:41pm

It had taken Caius less than time than Selena had imagined to put their plan regarding Raphael Alden into motion. In less than 24 hours since their little pow-wow between the Frosts, VanHohenheims, and the Aldens, Caius had contacted the mysterious man and arranged the meeting place and time, which was why Selena found herself sitting, once again, at Tony’s Di Napoli, this time not on a date with Deanna (who was waiting for her beside her seat at the table) or at night, but in the middle of the afternoon and for a…a…

Actually, the Snow Queen wasn’t entirely sure what to call this meeting. Was it business? Was it a shakedown? They were there to basically tell their unarrived ‘guest’ to back off and not bother the Frost family again… so… Could it be business? Cordial threatening?

Perhaps it was sad that Selena had used this topic of contemplation the last several minutes while she stood in the women’s bathroom, subconsciously checking her eyeliner, makeup, even the pale gloss of pink lipstick she had used (she wasn’t the biggest fan of using the bright red that some of the women in SCW preferred) – but it was a preferred mental distraction than her nervousness over this whole plan and everything else that had been on her mind.

What if this man was like Malcolm? Or Ryan? Or Killjoy? What if this was part of some sick game? What if- her hands quickly found her braid, giving the thick, wrapped hair a twist to stop her tirade of thoughts. She was trying to keep herself from thinking along these lines! It was precisely the reason she had Caius and Sage and, more importantly, Deanna by her side.

It’s friggen four of us and only one of him! she harshly told herself. Hell, she would have been happy with just her and Deanna.

That was something that brought a sense of calm to her. While the last few months of the new 2023 year had been rough, to say the least, one thing that had delighted the Snow Queen had been how well she and her wife had continued to grow together as a tag-team within SCW. It had been their biggest tool in their match with The One and Nicole Kinneck, knowing where the other was at all times and trusting in each other. She would be lying to herself if also didn’t make her a little giddy at how ‘cool’ they looked with their timing and awareness of the other, looking like a well-oiled tag-team… like the ones that had had years of experience like Dark Fantasy or The Connection or Suited and Booted during their ’heydays’. Even Regan and her as Frozen Hell or 4Saken with Dawn Lohan hadn’t felt so incredibly natural as teaming with Deanna. And… a sly smile graced her features… she would be lying to herself if it had translated into better communication between her and her beloved redhead as a couple outside of wrestling.

They seemed more in tune with one another, at least that’s what it felt like to Selena. There were times now where she didn’t have to ‘guess’ what her wife was thinking or feeling – she just knew. Sure, such a connection had existed for years between them throughout their dating and marriage of nearly eight years, but it was like involving their work into the mix beyond simply being each other’s ‘support’ or ‘manager’ as Deanna had done for so many years and now working together towards a common goal had pushed that instinct and connection to a much stronger degree.

It was probably why she had guessed correctly her wife’s reaction on Breakdown two weeks ago (the second last) when D. had referred to her as ‘acting like a rookie’. Even now, she could distinctly remember her brain screaming ‘Oh she is going to hate that when she hears it’ and boy did she ever.

For her part, Selena felt for her wife. Yes, everyone was free to have an opinion and it wasn’t the worse thing she had heard spoken about her wife or, especially, about herself, but still… Deanna had been struggling since her debut as a wrestler to be seen as something worthwhile, stuck in the large shadow Selena’s fame and accolades cast. To say that her boss’ words – the man that she had supported, even protected, on more than one occasion – disappointed her would have been an understatement, though it paled in comparison to the reveal that he was contemplating selling SCW.

Again, Selena slammed the breaks on those thoughts. She had purposefully avoided talking about that last week in her promo against Cosmic Magical Princess YUYO, instead wishing to focus on simply being one of the best wrestlers in SCW today – allowing her to keep her head on straight long enough to get a win over the woman and with Deanna’s win over Cassie Wolfe, the House of Frost had risen above another potential tag-team in terms of ability and ‘statement-making’, as well as pushing more attention on the tag-team division.

Attention it desperately needed.

Feeling herself growing calmer, the platinum-blonde gave one more glance over her frame, face and hair. She still could not exactly pinpoint what this ‘meeting’ would really be in terms of etiquette and tone, but she had chosen to dress in a black pant suit with a gray dress-shirt underneath. It was similar to her wrestling attire (just with less white and snowflakes) and she liked that. It gave her a sense of calm and empowerment, like a security blanket if she were honest with herself, or as if she was channeling ‘The Snow Queen of SCW’ into this moment, even if Selena Frost and that ‘Snow Queen’ were the same person. It was hard to explain but she wasn’t going to dwell on something like that as she spied her phone and checked it for its time.

Raphael Alden would either be with the others in minutes or he would be late.

With a sigh, Selena quickly marched out of the bathroom, opening the door to step out into the rest of the restaurant. She could hear the lunch-time crowd chattering in their seats amidst one another, as well as some people in the back working the kitchen.

I suppose meeting here does make sense… she thought. The man did make his presence known here…

She heard some music playing, seemingly from speakers above – far different than the last time she had been here with Deanna, when she had reunited with her old friend, Tallis, and her ex-business-partner, Asmodeus. But that had been live music – which was probably a ‘certain nights a week’ thing.

“Ummm…” the voice caught Selena’s attention, the Snow Queen turning her head to see the taller man standing near her. “I’m sorry, but…” he gestured towards the door frame she stood under, unintentionally blocking access to either bathroom.

“Oh, sorry.” She quickly apologized, stepping out of the way to allow the man entry. “Sort of lost in thought.”
“No no, I didn’t mean to bother you.” He offered with a genuine smile, his accented voice rather pleasing to hear. “Thank you.”

“No, not a problem.” Selena offered before stepping away, preparing to make her way back to her waiting wife and… aunt and uncle, damn it was hard to think that when it came to Caius and Sage.

“Uh…excuse me…” she heard the voice again causing her to turn back around to observe the man that had stopped just in front of the men’s bathroom door. “Sorry, me again. Umm… I’m rather new here – not been here really beyond a few small visits. Are you a regular?”

“A regular?” Selena asked with a tilt of her head. “I…not a regular regular. But my wife and I come by here every so often.”

“Well, if it’s not too much to ask.” He seemed to hesitate a little with his question. “Can you recommend any good dish?”

“Oh, well you can’t go wrong with the fettucine alfredo. Always fills me up – and make sure you get the New York cheesecake for dessert.”

“Fettucine Alfredo…” the man’s eyes flew to the ceiling to recall Selena’s words. “New York cheesecake. I’ve got it. Thank you.”

“No problem. Enjoy your meal.” She offered the gentleman a smile before departing, walking the short distance needed back to her table. Instinctively, she ran a hand along Deanna’s shoulder as she passed her, taking her seat beside the redhead. Unlike Selena, Deanna had dressed a bit more casually, her security being in the comfort of a dark-green sweater and blue jeans. Caius was still in his suit (was that all he had to wear? Selena couldn’t recall a time she hadn’t seen him in a suit). Sage sat beside him in black button front midi dress which worked well with her raven-hair. Only one suit was unoccupied, which rested on the other side of the table away from the others.

“Not here yet?” Selena asked, settling in beside Deanna and earning a shake of the younger woman’s head. “Guess he’s late then.”

“Not yet.” Caius remarked. “He’s still got forty-three seconds.”

“Well, close enough.” Selena shrugged. “Should we order then?”

“You’re hungry?” Deanna remarked in some surprise. “Now?”

“Deanna…” Selena leaned down to whisper to her. “I got up at 6am to run 10k and get a workout in so I can be ready for this meeting. The only thing I’ve had to eat is a protein powder and a could of eggs. Yes, I am hungry.”

Emerald eyes grew wide. “Why didn’t you wake me up to train with you?”

Despite herself, the Snow Queen bit her lower lip. “Well, you looked like you needed the rest and I… I didn’t want to get too distracted with everything happening.” Quickly, her eyes scanned down her wife’s sweater-covered form, causing the redhead to slowly open her mouth and nod in eventual understanding. The Frost wives worked out and trained together often, but it quite often lead to the most interesting ‘cooldowns’, which were anything but, in the pool, the shower or even right in the gym. And judging from the slight blush that came to Deanna’s features, Selena could tell she was thinking the same thing as well.

“Got it.” Deanna nodded. “I’ll have to put in a workout of my own to keep up with you.”

The platinum-blonde shrugged. “If you can manage it-“

“I can.” The redhead pressed, almost aggressively. “I won’t be responsible for ‘falling behind’.”

The implication was beyond clear to the experienced former world champion, but just as she was about to open her mouth and explain to her wife that they needn’t worry about such things when it came to ‘workouts’, a sharp ‘beeping sound’ like an alarm filled their ears, both women casting their glance to Caius, who casually checked his phone before swiping it with his thumb.

“And NOW he is late.” He remarked in mild surprise. “Surprising.”

“Not when your clock is technically 4.3 seconds early.” Came the voice from beyond the group, all eyes jerking forward to the man that had seemingly appeared into the empty chair. The man that greeted them all with a calm, charming grin. The same man that Selena had met just outside the washrooms! “I do wish you would get that thing fixed, Caius.”

“Raphael.” Caius sighed, crossing his arms over his chest. “Right on time.”

“Punctuality is the politeness of kings.” The older man responded.
“King Louis XVIII.” Selena remarked, earning a surprised glance from the man that had spoken so kindly to her moments ago.

“Very good, Mrs. Frost.” He remarked. “You surprise me.”
“I suppose the feeling is now mutual.” Selena remarked.

“I suppose introductions are in order.” Caius stated, standing to his feet in order to properly gesture to the group. “Selena, Deanna – Raphael Alden. Raphael, Selena Frost and her wife, Deanna Frost.”

Stealing a glance to her right, Selena did a quick check in on Sage, the only person not mentioned in this who introduction. To her relief, Sage merely sat there, sitting still in her seat. However, it was not like till Raphael noticed her.

“And Sage. Glad you came along to. Still following your brother around on family matters?” Raphael asked, though there was, seemingly, no insult, bite, or even judgment in the observation.

“It suits me.” Sage remarked simply.
“Family business is the best kind of business.” He stated before turning his head to Selena. “That one wasn’t a quote.”

Selena said nothing in reply, instead taking the time to truly take in the man sitting before her. His hair was combed back and was a dark black with only a few hints of graying color around the temples and a few strands here and there. His beard, however, was far more indicative of his age, the bottom complete white that seems to change to a matching dark/gray color as it ascended towards the nose – a Van Dyke! That’s what it was called! – Selena remembered. Still, everything about this man screamed ‘well-groomed’ and that was to say nothing at the suit he wore, Selena recognizing the brand immediately, as she had seen Mr. Dracheywch and a few of the higher-up boards wearing similar styles. Gods…he really is rich if I am right… Her mind thought in alarm though she did her best to give no sign of it.

“I’m actually surprised you could tear yourself away from your private suite and phone calls to make this meeting.” Sage remarked, a slight smirk crossing her lips.

“If it’s important.” Raphael remarked, unfettered. “You make time.”

“Well, I am glad you see this as important, Raphael.” Caius stated, returning to his seat. “Because, I have to say, I was rather shocked to hear-“

“Oh just minute.” The groomed man held up his hand as the waitress stopped in front of them. “Yes, I’ll have the Alfredo Fettucine, a piece of the New York Cheescake and some red wine. Hold the dessert for later, if you don’t mind.” He gave a wink to the young girl, who seemed far more charmed than worried by the refined man’s tone.

“Anyone else?” she asked.

“No…I sort of lost my appetite.” Selena remarked. “Water is fine.”
“Same.” Deanna stated.

“Really?” Raphael asked, somewhat bothered. “I feel quite rude eating alone here. Can we at least enjoy a meal? I mean, you’ve come all this way. I’ve come all this way.” He turned to Caius and Sage. “I know you’ve come a bit far – you’re still stationed in New York right?”

“Yes.” Caius answered.

“Well, let us just enjoy a meal and we can get to business and be on our way. At the very least, the day could be somewhat civil and enjoyable, yes?”

Despite the situation, hostility was the last thing anyone of the four people wanted. Reluctantly, they all placed their orders, the group reduced to silence for the time needed for the food to be prepared and for them to try and enjoy it – a task much easier for Raphael than anyone else.

As the suited man finished his cheesecake and whine, he dabbed at his mouth before sitting back. “Ah, very nice. An excellent recommendation, Selena.”

Deanna turned her head to eye Selena. “When did you?”

“Don’t ask.” Selena whispered. “I just found him before any of you did – without knowing I found him.”

“Regardless, I hope you will forgive me.” Raphael requested. “I don’t like discussing business on an empty stomach.”

“Is that what this is?” Selena asked, having finished her Caesar salad and water and raising an eyebrow. “Because I thought this was more of a ‘stay the hell away from me and my family’.” Her cold tone caused a slight stir in Raphael, the man raising his eyebrows in slight surprise.

“Well… that was certainly a reaction.” He smiled. “Is this about last time I was here?”

“Raphael…” Caius urged with a warning tone in his voice. “You’ll recall I made it VERY clear that the Frosts had expressed no desire to meet the Aldens at this time and that any communication with them was not advised. I expressly posted it on all the channels.”

“Yes, you did.” Raphael nodded. “And, for a brief time, I entertained that notion for what it was worth. But still… curiosity won out in the end.”

“What curiosity?” Selena asked, keeping her position neutral as she sat in her chair.

“Well… there are few ‘scandals’ within the Alden family.” Raphael explained. “At least not any that can’t be ‘handled’ quickly and simply. But… your mother.” He seemed to pause at the mention of Alejandra. “The one that left the family – first person to do so in…oh some time, if I remember correctly… disappeared without a trance for years – ran off to Nome, then disappears again like a ghost, only for her daughter that no one in our family side knew existed, becomes this incredible celebrity… few scandals have run that long and been the on-off talk of the Aldens, am I right, Caius?”

Selena’s head turned to Caius and Sage. “Is that true?” she asked. “Is this 40-year grudge my mother has with all of you the ‘talk’ he says it is?”

Sage gave a shrug. “It was really ‘the big mystery’ for the longest time. A lot of people really were surprised when we learned about you. I suppose it excited them to finally have it solved and know what happened. Alejandra was well-liked in our charter, so was father and Caius.”

“What about you?” Deanna asked. “Oh please tell me you were the black-sheep! The rebel! That would be so cool.”

Despite herself, Sage eyed Deanna with a smile. “A little bit.” Even throwing playful wink her way.

“Well…” it was Raphael’s turn to shrug. “Be that as it may, I wasn’t quite satisfied with simply being told ‘it was true’ and that you existed. I’m someone that likes to see things to believe them. And, given your mother’s history with me –“ he eyed Caius and Sage. “She knows about that right?”

“She does.” Caius nodded.

“Oh good!” Raphael chuckled. “I was afraid it was going to get rather awkward if I had to explain it.”

For a second, there was silence but Selena was quick to break it. “So, that’s it? That’s why you found Deanna and I here weeks ago? So you could ‘see for yourself’?”

“Why didn’t you just introduce yourself then and there and be done with it?” Deanna added.

“Ah, well, that was merely…” Raphael searched for the right words. “Getting a lay of the land, as it were. I wanted to assess things – see what I was dealing with, if you would.”

“I would not.” Selena stated simply. “Because, as it’s been perfectly clear by this point, I don’t want to deal with any of you. My mother does not wish to deal with you, and so, I don’t either. Far as I am concerned, she ran away for a reason and I am not interested in being drawn into whatever drama that was.”

For a moment, Raphael, listening intently to Selena, took a sip of his red wine before placing the glass back on the table. “I am afraid that isn’t the answer I am looking for, Selena. Which is why I’ve come with an offer.”

“Here it comes…” Sage muttered under her breath as Raphael adjusted his blazer.

“You see, Selena, I’m afraid more than enough people within the Aldens have become too interested in your mother’s story and your existence. Simply ‘leaving it alone’ – well, there’s missed opportunity there. Especially for someone that can be ‘responsible’ for bringing you ‘back into the family’.”

“And I imagine that’s where you’d like to come in.” Deanna nodded, speaking what Selena was thinking and earning a smile from Raphael.

“A little goodwill never hurt anyone.” He remarked politely. “Brisben Alden – your grandfather – was highly respected even after the scandal of his daughter. But the charter of the Alden family here in York and Jersey was left with a bit of ‘stain’ that they have been desperate to clean up for decades.”

“And bringing Selena into the fold will do that?” Deanna asked in disbelief.

“Well, her and Alejandra, I would say.” Raphael explained. “And, I would wager, Selena IS the only person that could convince her mother to return to the charter.”

“Seriously?” Sage remarked in disbelief. “That’s your plan? You’re going to make Selena make Allie give up a 40-year grudge just so you can look like hero?”

“Simple and elegant.” Raphael smiled. “All the best deals and plans are. Complexities…well, complicate.”

“And, tell me, in this ‘simple plan’ of yours… why the hell would I do that?” Selena asked. “And before you mention it, I’m not someone that can be bought, Mr. Alden.” She smirked at him, crossing her arms over her chest. “Yeah, you thought I didn’t figure out your plan with you coming in in that Brioni suit?” she eyed the blazer he wore. “Was that the plan? You try and flash some small fortune my way and I just buckle because that’s what someone like you has managed to do his whole life, I imagine?”

“Selena…” Caius warned, but Raphael gave no reaction, merely listening with a smile on his face.

“Well forget it!” Selena pushed on, ignoring Caius’ warning. “I said it before and I’ll say it again. I. AM. NOT. INTERESTED. Not in you, not in the Aldens, not in my mother’s past – none of it! And there is nothing you can pay or buy that would make me change my mind.”

Once more, there was a moment of silence as Raphael eyes Selena quietly. For a moment, he simply folded his napkin, placing it on the table besides his empty plate. With one last exhale of breath, he turned his gaze back over to Selena. “SCW.”

The name caused Selena’s eyes to narrow. “What about it?”

“I can buy it, you know.” Raphael smiled. “I have become aware of it in my research and through my own business-chains. Now the other ‘offers’ I’ve heard of, I don’t know them, but… let’s just say acquiring a company, even one with such a longevity as SCW, is WELL within my means. Might even be my first foray into sports-entertainment.”

“You can’t be serious!” Deanna remarked.

“Of course, I could just buy it and cut it up into small pieces and sell it-“ The way her worded it almost triggered PTSD in Selena – her memories of Giovanni and the United States title flashing through her mind.

“Raphael, what the hell?!” Sage spat. “This is beyond ridiculous.”

“I am merely exercising my business ventures.” He stated. “Selena’s boss made it clear all offers would be considered. Well, Selena’s choices have made me interested in that business. I am fully within my rights to explore those interests… and should I proceed further-“ his eyes turned over to Selena, glaring at her. It was only at that moment that Selena could see past the kindness and ‘gentlemanly’ gaze of the older man.

Sure, he was refined, but underneath that… the man was a damn shark! He’s had this planned… maybe since before he gave us that damned business card! her jaw clench – the familiar feeling of zero-control coursed through her, making her angry and sick to her stomach at the same time! She wanted to throttle this man! She wanted to kick him in the head as hard as she could! She wanted…she wanted…

But, like everything else in her life – there was nothing she could do. The man had planned this and had come in holding all the cards! And his threats were barely veiled. Convince Alejandra to drop this grudge and return to a past her mother hated… or he would do all he could to be the new ‘buyer’ and ‘owner’ of SCW… with the sole intent of dissolving it forever or making Selena’s – and Deanna’s – professional lives living hells…

Feeling her whole body’s tension, the platinum-blonde forced her head to turn, eyes desperate for Deanna. Her beloved redhead could only glare at Raphael, allowing Selena to see the way her jaw muscles were clenched so tightly! Gods, her wife wanted to punch this man in the face, Selena could tell, and was using everything in her power to control the impulse. Slowly, feeling her gaze, Deanna turned her head to meet Selena’s sapphire eyes – and it was in her emerald eyes that Selena saw the same ‘conclusion’ she had drawn.

They were trapped. Trapped because of D.’s decision! If the old man hadn’t decided to vend offers, Raphael wouldn’t have a damn leg to stand on! SCW was the only thing he could target in Selena’s life with his vast money – and D. had given him the means (albeit unknowingly).

Damn you, O.! Selena’s mind growled, the familiar spike of frustration she had felt towards the SCW owner that she had felt when he had dismissed her questions and concerns for SCW and her wife!

“Selena…Deanna…” Raphael tried, once more falling into the ‘gentlemanly’, accented tone of voice. “I am a very reasonable man. I only want you and Alejandra to meet the Alden family. For you to convince your mother to give them… let’s say an afternoon. And you needn’t worry about such things like venue or anything – I will handle ALL the affairs. Just bring yourselves.”

“And my mother…” Selena growled under her breath. Raphael seemed unaffected.
“And your mother.” He repeated with a small smile. “Do that for me and we can consider this matter dropped and never brought up again. I won’t even entertain any notions of offers for your employment.”

Even the way he phrased it – dammit, it was perfectly worded! – the implication AGAIN clear! He didn’t say ‘offers for SCW’, no! He had chosen to say that he would buy Selena’s ‘employment’, and Selena had been around wrestling long enough to know what THAT meant. Hell, how many superstars in the last 9 years had threatened to ‘sit out their contract’ at home or the management of SCW had threatened the same thing to a superstar to make them comply to following the rules or participating in a match?

And here Raphael was doing the same.

Staring down at her plate, Selena took a deep breath before lifting her head up to gave at the calm, smiling, older man. “I want you…” she whispered slowly, her tone heavy and cold. “To think long and hard about this choice you are making. Because I have forgiven A LOT of things and A LOT of people in my life. Professionally and personally.” Looking up a little higher, her eyes glared into Raphael’s. “But the one thing that I hate is being forced to do something. And you may think you’ve got me by the hairs here, Mr. Alden.” Her jaw clenched. “But every time someone has tried this on me? They may win a battle, but I’M the one that gets the last word.” She remained silent for a moment, letting her gaze press heavily on Raphael Alden. “So, I would encourage you now to not go down this route, because if you do – you may get me to comply, but you’ll not like where this all ends up. Of THAT, I can assure you.”

He gave no answer right away, nor did he move from his relaxed position. Instead, his smile merely widened. He wasn’t going to relent – no, why the hell would he?! He was sure he had won this round… and truthfully? He had.

Turning her head the other way, Selena caught the waiting expressions of Sage and Caius – both with looks of utter guilt, their eyes screaming apologies to her and, she imagined, Deanna. She couldn’t blame them. They had warned her about Raphael, but she hadn’t listened. She had thought there was safety in numbers. Safety in strong faith and holdfast beliefs…

She had been wrong, and now there was only one hand she had to play.

“Fine.” She sighed. “I will convince my mother to visit the Alden family.”

“Wonderful!” Raphael exclaimed, turning his head to Caius and Sage. “You see?” he remarked. “All that was needed was a bit of convincing and a nice, civil talk. I don’t know why you had such trouble.” There was a mocking tone in his mouth, causing Caius to tense from where he sat.

“The charter WILL hear of this.” Caius warned, his tone just breaking from the usual civil tone he carried.
“Oh I hope so.” Raphael smiled. “They need to hear the good news.”

Checking his watch – again, Selena spotted the screaming ‘I am rich’ note based on the Rolex he wore – Raphael quickly nodded his head. “Well, if that is all, I must be off. More meetings today.” Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out a pair of $100 dollar bills, tossing them onto the table. “Lunch is on me.” He offered with a generous smile. “Least I can do.” He turned his head to, once more, focus on the Frost wives. “I’ll inform Caius of the details when I settle them.”

He didn’t wait for a reply, merely giving a nod of his head before making his exit. The four remaining adults simply sat at their table for what seemed like half-an-hour until Selena’s pale hand drifted over to the two bills on the table, picking one up and staring into the face of Benjamin Franklin. For a moment, her eyes settled on the name printed out at the bottom of the bill.

“Franklin knew how to count by twos and tie his shoes.” She whispered, turning the bill over in her hand as she recalled one of the books Amiliah loved to have read to her all the time. “He could zip zippers and button buttons. But one thing Franklin couldn’t do… was have a DAMN moment of fucking peace in her goddamn life!”

With an angry growl, she slammed her hand onto the table, causing every plate and utensil and glass to shake. She hit the table so hard her hand hurt but she couldn’t give a damn about it!

“Selena, I’m sorry!” Caius tried. “I didn’t expect this. I honestly thought we could get him to back off.”
“It’s not your fault.” Came Deanna’s voice, speaking for the enraged Snow Queen. “He picked his opening. He must have heard about the potential sale of SCW before we did and that’s why he showed up last time and made his presence known.”

“Now what?” Sage asked, looking around.

“Now what?” Selena asked, turning her head towards Sage. “What else can we do? I can’t let him put an offer on SCW – even if D. doesn’t take it.”

“Can’t you warn him?” Sage offered. “Maybe tell him not to even consider any offers from Raphael?”

For a moment – less than a second really – Selena actually contemplated the idea. In fact, if this situation had occurred a year ago or even six months ago, she would already have gotten out her phone to call SCW HQ and contact the SCW owner.

But now?

“He won’t listen to me.” Selena sighed sadly. “He won’t give me the time of day or even care of my opinion. Far as he’s concerned?” she eyed Deanna. “He doesn’t owe us a damn thing.”

She heard Deanna growl a little in her throat – clearly remembering how the old man had treated them on that fateful Breakdown. A true slap in the face if there ever was one. On all they had given, all they had sacrificed, the very scars proof of that running down Selena’s back and sides and along Deanna’s arm.

“We’ve got to convince mother.” Selena finally said with a sigh.

“How?” Caius asked. “It’s not… I just don’t see how.”

“I don’t know.” Selena admitted, shrugging her shoulders. “But we don’t have a choice… we just…”

Deanna nodded her head, her words finishing what they all knew to be true. “We don’t have a choice.”

[Image: tetXUW1.gif]

The camera opens up to the interior of the AT&T Stadium in Dallas, Texas, a mere half a day before tonight’s epic SCW pay-per-view of Retribution: one of the flagship pay-per-views of the company! The arena is fully set, but remains empty. Arctic-blue and white lights illuminate the ring at the center a slight mist rolls around and within said ring. And within the center, dressed in blue jeans and a black, backless crop top stands the ‘Face of SCW’, her platinum-blonde hair tied in its iconic braid. Her choice of attire also reveals the long web of scars that mar her back and sides – proof of wars fought and hardships endured.

Looking around the arena, at the lights and mist, Selena Frost gives a small smile. I’ll admit that my wife is far more creative than I am… her smile is one of amusement as she gazes towards the camera, surrounded by the empty chairs.

She goes to a forest glen to contemplate, amidst the sunshine and foliage, and I’m still here, in my ring, with my blue and white lights and some fog… a sort of cold setting.

Pressing her tongue to the inside of her cheek in contemplation, she gives her head a little nod. But if you think about it… the imagery is really beautiful and on point. You have the redhead, passionate Queen’s Guard in Deanna Frost and the Snow Queen in me, Selena Frost. Opposites that can mesh together so well. Taking the tag-team division by storm! Bringing it back to what it could be. The standard of integrity it could be!

The smile does not fade as Selena’s eyes shift to the world tag-team title, holding her name on it, resting on the top turnbuckle in a proud display.

Hot and cold. Light and Dark. Good and Evil. Opposites – our world is filled with them. And contrasts is important here because while The House of Frost continues to try and represent the good in wrestling, the integrity of wrestling, the light of wrestling, it only further proves the existence of the dark side of wrestling. she returns her gaze to the camera.

And you know what I am talking about. I am talking about the politics. I am talking about the rule-breakers. I am talking about the controversy, the evil deeds, the selling of morals, I am talking about everything that has marred this great sport and this great federation for years and years and what all of you, True Believers, are sick of! her voice echoes a little in the empty arena.

And contrast is important here because here tonight, our opponents? Well, their very name is all about that contrast. Light in the Darkness.

She pauses for a mere moment, letting herself calm a little and her words settle before continuing, Amelia and Luz. First of all, I want to thank you both for all you’ve done the last few weeks. My wife touched on that and I think we made it clear last week on Breakdown as well, but just to reiterate, I am grateful to you both for wanting this to be a pure and good representation of the tag-team division. Believe me, and you can check my promos from the past, the idea that more teams are coming back into SCW for the tag-team titles and that they want these kind of matches just like you do means the world to me. It shows me that there are those that are hungry for competition. It shows me that there are those that are driven to be the best. It shows me that there are those that are willing to fight the doubters, the naysayers, even their own doubts and demons to stand here and fight for the greatest tag-team titles in the world! Again, her raised voice leads to slight echoes that quietly die down.

For that, not only do you have my thanks, but you have my utmost respect. And while we are talking about such positive feelings? Your story has been one of amazing, albeit similar, consequences. Coming back after some time off – a fire in your hearts and wanting that one win that’s eluded you for so long. That one title reign. You’ve seen it, the audience love that kind of thing. Whether you’re Owen Cruze or an asshole like Adam Allocco, people love the comeback story. And for you, it’s doubly so because of where we are.

Selena takes a slow breath before nodding her head knowingly. Yes, I did my research, ladies. I know what this pay-per-view means to you. That it was here, Retribution, that saw you two get injured on the same night and prematurely stall your SCW careers. It was at this very event that the Light in the Darkness was, temporarily, snuffed out by the Golden Boys. And now? Two years later, here you are, fighting for the titles you never got a chance for.

And what a feather in the cap that would be! That story to come full circle like it has for Owen Cruze and Allocco, hell like my sister, Regan Street, years ago at Rise to Greatness XVII! A feel good moment! A ‘happily ever after’!

Pausing for a moment, Selena slowly shakes her head as she paces around the ring. But like I said, this is about ‘contrasts’. And while the audience love the kind of story you’re trying to sell, ladies, they don’t always recall what happens after. What happens after “The End” credits roll or after “Happily Ever After”. What happens after “The Twelve Days of Christmas” or after Cinderella marries her prince.

She shakes her head before returning her gaze towards the camera. See, that’s what my Deanna alluded to about you two focusing only on that story. On tonight and this one match. And I’ll make it clear to you both right now: You’re not ready. her words echo louder than any other, pressing the message she just conveyed. However, she is quick to raise her hand to explain.

Let me be clear, Amelia! Luz! You two are MORE than ready to fight The House of Frost. You’re more than ready to fight us for the SCW world tag-team championship! You’re even more than ready, and certainly good enough, to possibly pull off the upset of the night, beat us and BECOME the SCW World tag-team champions! From your TV title reign, Amelia, to Luz scoring that pin last pay-per-view in the first ever, history-making, twelve-person tag match! Amelia, I know that if you get that Blight Choke locked on either Deanna or I? It’s over. Deanna proved she was aware of that too, in case you missed her submission win over Cassie Wolfe a couple of weeks ago. We are VERY aware of how deserving and ready you are to face US – the House of Frost – and try and take the tag-team titles from us.

Again, she pauses, lowering her hand. But what you are not ready for is the fallout. The day after. What happens when it is all said and done.

Turning her head, she eyes the world tag-team title sitting on the turnbuckle. You know, there is an old saying: “Heavy is the head that wears the crown.” And take it from me, ladies, someone that has held the tag championships three times over, it isn’t easy doing so. To have the world’s eyes on you, to have expectations on you, to want to make this place better in a world where so many of your fellow wrestlers don’t care about that. To have to carry this division on your shoulders – the weight of the world on your shoulders – knowing that everything you do, every decision you make could change SCW for better… or for worse.

For a moment, Selena seems to look away from the camera, as if in recollection of the people she lost while being part of the tag-team division. People like Dawn Lohan and her sister, Regan Street. It is a fleeting moment before she shakes her head and returns to the present.

THAT, my friends, is what you are not ready for. Because let’s just take a second and reflect on this story of yours, shall we? You two came back to SCW with zero expectations from the SCW Universe. You even mentioned it yourself, didn’t you, Amelia? Luz? How you started here just wanting to take it slow and take your time because it was easier? Because no one really thought of you or paid attention to you – but that made it less stressful, didn’t it? That there was no ‘bar’ for you to reach for?

And from the moment you’ve come back, you sure as hell have performed, don’t get me wrong, but like Deanna said, you’ve performed with nothing to lose, everything to gain, and with all the momentum in the world, all the positive energy and beliefs you can hold…

My point is, my friends, is that the one thing that’s been missing in your lives since you came back here has been the obstacles. The shortcomings. Oh sure, you’ve lost some matches, maybe a title here and there, but let’s face it, you have not been broken since you came back here. You have not suffered yet, have you? You have not felt failure – the kind that shakes you down to your core and makes you question every choice and every decision you’ve made up to that point. You’ve not had nights where you’ve had to look into the eyes of the SCW Universe and know that you’ve let them down. No… you have been in a ‘honeymoon phase’ just like Owen and Allocco were.
her jaw clenches at the memory of the latter name.

And the problem with that – with those stories is – I know how they end. I’ve seen how they end. Once the luster is off? Once the tale is told? Once the ‘one match is won’? Once true opposition strikes and the ‘heroes’ finally stumble or fall or experience genuine hardship and shortcoming? They don’t come back from that. They don’t ‘keep trying’. They run. They hide. They go back to taking shortcuts because they got the one match – the one moment – that they wanted. Or… they just quit.

Her tone growing a little colder, Selena’s sapphire eyes narrow at the camera. Because that’s what you did, right, ladies? When you recovered from your injuries, you had a choice, didn’t you? To come back to SCW and fight for the tag-team titles, or to run away and stay away for over a year. You chose the latter. You chose to run. You chose to abandon SCW and the tag-team division because THAT was who you two were when faced with true opposition and heart-breaking setbacks.

Because we all know what will happen if you can manage an upset, guys. We do! You jump up and down, you hug each other, you scream and cry and you revel in your victory. Why not?! Like I said, happy endings are loved here. I love them! I truly do. Look who you’re talking to here, guys! she gestures to herself to emphasize her point.

But, you see, your real test will come about not if you continue on your ‘dream street’ – your real test will not come at Retribution’s match, but after it.

Because if you win, Amelia and Luz and I say IF you win because there is a reason Deanna and I have survived as long as we have and remained the champions every day so far this year – But IF you win, that heavy crown I mentioned? It’s all on you two and all the setbacks and oppositions and failures that can come with it! You win and you have to come out here and do THAT level of tag-action, that level of integrity, not just once – not just twice, but night after night, show after show, title defense after title defense.

And after seeing Adam Allocco fail the first chance he got last September? I know you two can’t keep that up. I know that you don’t have that drive and passion and stamina yet because you’ve not shown it. You’ve not shown us, the SCW Universe, that you’re going to be there when times are tough because you’ve not suffered tough times since you got back. You’ve not faced times when things DON’T go your way. When you’re left lying in the ring because you got beaten down so badly, you felt it weeks later!

She stops pacing, standing in the center of the ring. Because last time you were asked that? To give more and rise to the occasion and face such opposition? You ran away!

Closing her eyes, she takes a steady breath. I wish – I TRULY wish, ladies, that I could let this little story and dream of yours come forward. To reach its beautiful ending. I truly wish I could. But like my wife said, I don’t have that luxury. I don’t have that opportunity. I don’t have the time to quit when things are tough or leave or ‘take a break’ when things are bad or I’m hurting. I have to stay here. I have to keep fighting. The House of Frost has to keep fighting!

Because there is NO time for runaways and people that only care about that one moment! That single night! There is NO time for people that just want that one win just to say ‘they did it’ and feel good for what? A couple of weeks!

Looking around the arena, Selena gestures with her arms. Look around you, Luz! Amelia! SCW is changing and not for the better! SCW is on the verge of being owned by some of the most despicable people to come through this company! People that will not give a damn whether or not you get your happy ending or stay in SCW. People that will do all they can to drag SCW and you through the mud and through hell for their own egos and their own sake. We do not have time for temporary champions or ‘feel good stories’ that lead to disappointment and ‘one-hit wonders’! We do not have time for people who run away when things are tough!

What we need – what SCW needs – are people that will stand against these oppositions. Who will fight against those that seek to hurt SCW’s integrity. To hold the championships, heavy as they are, and set the bar night after night, show after show, not because of management but IN SPITE of management! Not when it’s easy but because it ISN’T easy!

Her eyes spy the Retribution graphic for a brief second. Retribution tonight? We will tear down the house, ladies. We will give a match that, as you will also promise, exemplifies and defines what tag-team wrestling is. A contrast to the politics, tainted finishes, backstage ambushes and other BS that still run through this place and will undoubtedly run through here tonight. But your ‘moment’ will not come at the end of the match when the bell rings. Your ‘redemption’ or ‘retribution’ will not come with you being handed the tag-team titles…

No…

Your moment will come when you’re in the back afterwards WITHOUT the SCW world tag-team titles. When you’re sitting in the locker room together, wondering what you did wrong or how you could have changed the outcome from losing to the House of Frost. THAT will be your moment to put the past behind you because you will have a choice to make, ladies.

She gives a pause, gesturing with a pale hand. When you are sitting there, finally facing a roadblock to your dreams the size of a goddamn House, when you have truly felt some failure in yourselves, you’re going to have a choice to make. You can either do what you’ve always done and run away… Or… you can come back the next Breakdown. You can find me and Deanna and you can tell us that you’re sticking around. That you’re not going to be a burnt out lightbulb that had a brief flicker in the dark but the goddamn Light in the Darkness! the last words echo slightly in the empty space.

THAT will be YOUR redemption, ladies, and if you can do that, I will shake your hands and await the day when you truly ARE ready to challenge us, beat us, and wear the tag-team titles proudly! When you can do this division proud like Deanna and I are trying to do every single day!

But if you can’t…. she lowers her arm, her tone growing the coldest it’s been this entire promo. If you come to Breakdown just to tell me that I was right and that you’re leaving again? That you’re running away again? Then not only will I show you the door, but Deanna and I will kick your asses out it! Out of this division, out of SCW, and out of our house!

The choice is yours, Luz… Amelia… and I pray with all my heart that, when all of this is said and done and you are reminded why The House of Frost are the SCW World tag-team champions… I pray you make the right choice.

Believe it!

The camera focuses on the Snow Queen before slowly fading to black.
[Image: hffOaUZ.png]
SCW Supreme Champion
6x SCW World Champion
4x SCW World Tag-Team Champion
2x SCW United States Champion
3x SCW Adrenaline Champion
SCW Television Champion
Longest Reigning SCW World Champion (234 days)
Winner of Shot of Adrenaline Tournament (2016)
Winner of Best of the Best Tournament (2016)
Winner of Trios Tournament (2018)
Winner of U.S. Championship Tournament (2020)
Winner of World Championship Tournament (2023)
Winner of Tactical Warfare (2014, 2019)
Winner of Elimination Chamber (2015)
Winner of Roofed Cage Match (2019)
Winner of Last Person Standing Match (2019)
The Unbelievable Main Event (2021-2023)
Winner of Double Jeopardy Match (2022)
Winner of EOTY Invitational (2023)
Female Wrestler of the Year (2016, 2021, 2022)
Tag-Team of the Year (2020 - w/ Regan Street)
Match of the Year (2018, 2019, 2021, 2023)
Feud of the Year (2014, 2019)

[Image: 34zetxl.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Light in the Darkness vs. The House of Frost - by SnowQueenSCW - 03-21-2023, 09:55 PM