Selena Frost vs. Bree Lancaster
OOC: CD only and takes place in the week of Selena and Bree's second match on Breakdown (following the house shows of that week) and plays off the first roleplay. 

I of the Storm

“A Sickening Feeling”

Her lungs burned inside her chest, a fire blazing through her very torso. The more she pushed herself to move faster, the stronger the fire burned inside her. Was she even breathing anymore? She couldn't be sure, her mouth was filling with lactic acid – she had never run so fast before in her life! Ducking in and out through the darkness, she heard the 'crunch crunch' of the snow being crushed beneath her boots as she ran the trail. Sometimes, her feet would not hit the ground evenly, causing her to stumble or shuffle to keep her footing going. But she had to keep going.

Not because she was running from her problems.
Not because she wanted to burn away some deep hatred over Bree Lancaster cheating her way to retaining the United States Championship against her a few days ago. 
Not because she had STILL not heard from the SCW owner, O. D....

Those were all good reasons, to be sure, but none of them entered Selena Frost's mind in that moment. Instead, there was only one thought – one notion that the Snow Queen's mind zeroed in on as if her very life depended on it!

That number kept repeating in her head like that of a parrot as she darted and sprinted along the trails and past the trees of her neighbourhood. It was if she were running through the forests in her homeland of Nome, Alaska – something the 'Crazy Miner's Daughter' never thought she would even remotely experience again. And, despite fear and concern gripping her so tight that breathing did not seem possible – though that might have been more because of the physical running than her anxiety – there was a certain rush of exhilaration that unintentionally came to the platinum-blonde at the memory of running in the snow, the cold wind whipping her hair back and striking through her clothes. And with it, she kept running in the dark. Even as the fire ran down to her legs, she kept going. To her left, she kept passing groups of house and porch lights in the distance, the tall buildings able to shine their lights outward over the fences that kept each premise closed off from the trail. Selena barely noticed them. These particular lights weren't her guide. 

At long last, Selena forced herself to stop in her tracks, the sound of kicking and shifting of snow beneath her as she did reaching her ears. “Where...are...you...” she gasped through jagged breath as she cast her gaze across the large lake to the right. It didn't take long for her to spot it – even from her distance away. There was no denying the bright blue and white Christmas lights hanging on top of her house in the distance. And while any of the other houses that were close to her and Deanna's home had their lights on, both outside and inside, the Frosts had the largest balcony windows to see from the back and only her family used blue and white lights for the holidays... weird or not, Selena didn't care (and, fortunately, neither did Deanna). 

Quickly, realizing that her current location put her straight in line with her home (with her being on the other side of the lake), Selena took one more deep breath before turning her back on the large property and began seeking the next 'exit trial', one of many that the main trail circling the neighbourhood had. It did not take her long to find it, the flat trail, like the dozens of others – like exits on a highway – sprouting between two properties and up the hill to the main road.

Giving one more burst of speed, Selena burst through, her feet hitting asphalt as they met the road. She could see the street lamps illuminating much of the street and the houses behind her. With a turn, her eyes immediately sought out the numbers.

“92...94...” she gasped aloud in reading before sprinting in the direction of increasing numbers until her eyes caught it. “103!” she all but spat in triumph but, also, urgency. The house before her was large, though not as large as hers and Deanna's. A broad, tall, square unit of red brick and green rooftops, though the red and green Christmas lights were the first thing to be noticed.

Quickly, Selena was on the driveway. The next second, she was leaping up the three or so steps to land on the porch in front of the house's front door, her fist rapping urgently on it.

“Come on, come on...” she quietly wheezed in a begging manner. “Please, Odin...” her voice had turned to a damn prayer. “Be home – be awake!” she gave a series of knocks again on the door. but when nothing was heard and nothing had changed, Selena was about to try again when, suddenly, the porch lights beside her – hanging on the wall – suddenly came on, catching her attention. This was immediately followed by the sound of steps walking around the inside of the house and before Selena could comprehend all these sights and sounds, the door in front of her was pulled open.

Before Selena stood a tall, but thin man, in his forties and easily taller than Selena. He had his hair combed back neatly and he wore a simple polo shirt and beige pants inside his warm home. Before he could say anything however, Selena's voice came out in a rush.

“Thank gods... you're home...”

The man, at first could only stare at the sight before him – and it must have been a sight. To see Mrs. Selena Frost, one of his neighbours, standing there, drenched in sweat despite it being winter outside, dressed only in black track pants and a simple, blue t-shirt of solid color – again, despite it being winter! - gasping for air as if she had run a marathon.

“Mrs... Mrs. Frost?” he asked. “What...what is-”
“I'm sorry.” Selena huffed, trying to catch her breath. “I'm sorry...” she tried again. “I'm sorry but I need you to come with me – doctor... daughter...”

“Calm down, please.” urged the young man. “Take a few deep breaths.”

Despite the urgency and need she felt coursing through, Selena obeyed. She was no good while huffing and puffing like the Big Bad Wolf. Taking the advised few deep breaths. she felt her heart begin slow – not by much but enough for her to speak far more clearer.

“My daughter is sick.” Selena stated clearly, though the fear in her voice had not left her.
“Your daughter?” the man asked. “Is it your newborn? I remember being told-”
“No, doctor.” Selena breathed raggedly. “It's my oldest, Elsianna. I think she got something at school.”
“I see.” the doctor sighed. “I'm...”

He looked inside his home for a moment, his eyes cast on the woman that stood inside the house and watching the exchange. She was roughly his age - perhaps a few years younger - and wore a grey sweater and blue jeans. “Is everything alright, Dorian?” she asked.

“Everything is fine, Sybil.” Doctor Embers replied. “It's just Mrs. Frost. Her daughter is sick.”

“Oh no!” In a second, the blonde was standing by her husband, her brown eyes taking in the ragged appearance of Selena. “What's the matter with her?”

“I don't know.” Selena admitted, shaking her head to try and keep focused, despite feeling light-headed from her sprint. “She was coughing and sneezing last week, but when I came home from work tonight, and we started having dinner – she just then immediately began throwing up. When I felt her face while cleaning her, she was... she was hot to my hand...”

It was that part which had scared Selena the most.

“How warm?” Dorian asked.
“Doctor – please, I'll tell you on the way – I wouldn't have – I didn't-” the Snow Queen tried, her voice cracking in desperation. 
“Dorian, just go, please.” Sybil half-begged, half-demanded. “Elsianna is a dear friend of Osana...”

It took a moment for the doctor to sigh before nodding his head. “I can't really promise to do much without any real equipment. I'd rather you take her to a hospital.”
“And wait two to four hours?” Selena's eyes widened as she blurted that sentence out. “I'm sorry...I'm...”

“It's alright.” Dorian stated. “How did you get here?”
“I ran.” Selena stated, pointing to the Embers' backyard. “Took the trail.”
“You ran half-way around the neighbourhood?” Sybil asked in disbelief.
“Faster than a car if you use the trail.” Selena took a another deep breath.
“Good lord...” Dorian whispered. Moving to the side of the entrance, where a closet was, he opened the doors of it and pulled out a black, medical bag. “Well, we're taking my car.” he said as he lifted the bag up to point it at Selena as if for emphasis.

Without another word, the doctor then grabbed his keys, which lay in the small bowl on the stand by the door. Selena barely had time to blurt a 'thank-you' to him and Sybil before Dorian was outside and marching to his car, a silver miata 2016 model. In less than two minutes, both doctor and Snow Queen were driving down the road, taking the turns and hills needed to reach Selena's home.

“So...” Dorian tried after a few minutes of silence. “Your wife is the more normal one...” he said playfully.
“What?” Selena asked, not really paying attention until she had heard his voice. 
“I was just saying that I know your wife better than I know you – and all this time I thought you were the more 'normal' one because she is... well, VERY happy and enthusiastic.”

“Yes, she is.” Selena nodded. “You think I'm weird then?”
“Well, you did run halfway around the neighbourhood – and on top of that, you took the darker, more slippery path.” surmised the young man.
“Wouldn't you have done the same for Osana?” Selena asked.
“Point withdrawn.” The doctor smiled before focusing on the road. “Did you check Elsianna's temperature?”

Selena nodded, desperately trying to silently will the car to move faster. “Of course. She's 101 degrees.” despite the slowing of her breath, now that she was seated in the car, the tone of panic did not fade from her.

“So definitely a fever.” the doctor rationalized. “Anything else?”
“I...” Selena took a deep breath to steady her nerves, though it wasn't from exhaustion this time, “I don't know.” she admitted. “I just got back from Delaware.”

A familiar guilt surged through her, filling her core to replace the burning of her run. She had done her atypical routine of working with SCW – Breakdown first, then house shows. She had been lucky this time around because the last house show was only a few hours from Manhattan, allowing quick and easy leave and return home. 

But seeing her little snowflake like that: crying, begging her mommy to 'make it stop' as her insides burned – seeing her baby sick... something the Snow Queen had never truly seen before with her Snow Child... it had all but driven Selena into a near panic.

“Deanna would know.” she stated glumly. “She stays at home to look after the children while I work.”
“I see.” Dorian replied, but his next response almost surprised Selena. “I get it. Sybil is the same way. Sucks that you have to miss so much to provide for them, right?”

“Yes...but she's better at it than me – and I'm...” Selena rarely admitted to this. “I'm like seven and a half years older than her.”
“Some people are natural caretakers and others are natural providers.” Dorian simply philosophized.
“Yeah but it's...it's getting ridiculous.” Selena sighed. “There I am, marching around the house in a panic because Elsa has never been sick before... and she calmly tells me to drive the car down the street and around the neighbourhood to see you. What do I do? 'Oh no! I can run it in half the time using the trail!'.”

A brief, repressed mixture of scoff and laugh came from the bottom of Dorian's throat, but the doctor responded in no other way, simply continuing his driving along the streets. 

Turning her head to gaze out the window, Selena eyed the houses, seeing the fronts of them this time (when earlier, she had only eyed the back along the trail). “You ever miss anything of Osana's?” she suddenly asked cautiously.

A sad grin slowly crept its way over Dorian's face, the light from the outside street lamps revealing the few wrinkles along his complexion as he drove. “Too many to mention. First words, losing her first tooth, I managed to get to see her first steps – this is in no particular order, by the way – I missed her first day of school-”

Selena nodded as Embers continued to spout off things he had missed in his daughter's life. She could hear the slight tone of guilt in each confession – and it was so familiar to the guilt she felt, though she dared not dig too far in that direction. To do so would only be a horrid reminder to the Snow Queen of her absence from the first five years of her daughter's life. And while the good doctor beside her had been available to see many 'firsts' of Osana, Selena had none of those where Elsianna was concerned, and only a few in regards to David – and she was certain that her relationship with Amiliah would fair the same way.

Unless of course you send that email...

Immediately, Selena clapped down on the haunting voice of Sirus in her head – using the lights she could see outside as a distraction. Of course, she gave no sign of her mental battle as the car turned a corner, the Snow Queen instantly recognizing the section of the neighbourhood she was in. “Not much farther.” she said. “I'm over at-”

“The big one.” the doctor replied without a hint of rudeness or annoyance. “Closer to the south entrance of the neighbourhood.”
“Yeah...” Selena nodded her head.

I'm just saying... Send the email and you're done with the bullshit. Done with the drama. Done with the fighting. Done with the pain. Done – with all of it. No more 'missing firsts'. Every time your babies get sick... you're there...

The platinum-blonde said nothing as the voice coaxed her, teased her. She gave no visual reaction to anything that flew around inside her. But when the tone changed...

My Snow Child never got sick...

The voice, much lighter and softer than Sirus' – Selena had heard it last week... in that hotel room...

“I need to ask you something.” she blurted out, perhaps a little too loud than she had intended, slightly surprising the driving doctor.
“Alright.” he shrugged, though his eyes remained on the road, both he and Selena able to see the Frost home in the distance.

“What if you didn't need to be a doctor. I mean...” Selena tried, closing her eyes to try and rationalize her thoughts – a not so easy feat when she had one to three voices rampaging through her head at any given time. “Hypothetically speaking, you didn't need to be a doctor to provide the same lifestyle for your family. You'd never have to miss another 'first' ever again.” Opening her eyes, the young woman eyed the doctor. “Could you do that?”

The question hung in the air thickly for a moment, weighing heavily on Selena. And yet, to her surprise, the good doctor simply shook his head and shrugged it off. “Nope.”

The answer was short, soft, and surprised the hell out of the wrestler. “Are you serious?”

“Well, it certainly is tempting.” he admitted. “But I'm lucky. I love what I do. I love my work. Yes, there are bad days and the hours can be brutal – but being a doctor – I guess it's part of who I am. And not to have that?” he gave a short laugh. “I'll put it simply: If I can't be completely me, I can't be a complete father or husband to those I look after.”

Slowly, Selena nodded her head. It actually made sense to the Snow Queen – but at the same time, she wasn't so certain such an answer applied to her. Yes, she loved being a wrestler, and yes, she was sure she was doing good in SCW... but she wasn't saving lives. Yes, being a wrestler was part of who she was, but the hospital needed doctors like Dorian Embers...

She wasn't so sure SCW really needed her anymore. 

Fortunately, she did not have much time to contemplate the notion as she felt the car bump up a little as it turned onto her driveway. Within seconds, it had pulled up to her home and, without hesitation – and before the care had even turned off – Selena had manually unlocked the door and bolted out, rushing up the steps. She turned her head just in time to see Dorian turn the car off, get out of the car (quickly, but no as fast as Selena) and follow her up the stairs, medical bag in hand.

Pushing the door open, Selena rushed in. As she did, the sound of feet rushing in from the kitchen was heard as Deanna, coming around the corner. She still wore the maroon shirt and navy and white striped pants she had worn when Selena had left the house (Why wouldn't she? the older Frost thought in reaction) and as the redhead opened her mouth to speak, her eyes suddenly took in the sight of the woman closest to her.

“What the hell happened?” she asked in alarm, for while Selena's breathing had returned to normal, she was still wet from the sweat and the snow falling outside.
“I got Dr. Embers.” Selena shrugged.
“Did you swim across the lake to get him?” Deanna asked.
“No, but she ran around it...” muttered the doctor in good-humoured nature.

Sadly, all it earned him was a glare of ice-daggers from Selena. 

“Of course she did.” came the deadpanned answer from Deanna before she concentrated on her 'guest' of sorts. “Thank you for coming, doctor.” she offered. “Elsianna is upstairs.”

“Alright.” Dorian nodded, ushering past Selena so he could be guided by Deanna, the two already talking as they made their way up. “Your wife said she was vomiting?”

“Yes.” answered Deanna. “And for the past week, she said she's been feeling chest pains. And I've noticed her having constant coughing fits.”
“Did you take her to the hospital?” Dorian asked.
“No. I gave her soup and lozenges and that seemed to work for awhile, but tonight – I'm not so sure.”

“Okay... anything to do with -” he suddenly stopped as he reached the outside of Elsianna's room, giving a turn to both Deanna and Selena (who had followed the other two up the flight of stairs in absolute silence). The red-haired woman pointed towards the room belonging to the sick child, but Dorian held up his hand for a moment, his voice dropping considerably in volume, almost to a whisper. “Mrs. Frost told me she was warm.” he directed his question to Deanna. “Any sweat?”
“None that I saw.” Deanna shook her head.
“Alright.” he nodded. “I'm going to ask her this as well and I just wanted to hear from the parents first.”

“It's fine.” Selena stated, though her impatience was evident as she bounced up and down on the balls of her feet. “She won't lie to you.” the platinum-blonde promised.

With a shrug, the doctor turned to enter but stopped before doing so. “I think it best if only one of you comes in with me.”
“Why?!” Selena asked in alarm, though her voice did not break past a whisper – no doubt adopting the doctor's form (though she had no idea why she was doing so).
“Because a ) We don't want to overwhelm your daughter. B ) Mrs. Frost -” he indicated Deanna. “would best be able to answer any other questions I have. And c ) If I am right, then it's possible what your daughter has could be contagious.”

“What does she have?” both Selena and Deanna asked at the same time as Dorian reached into his back, pulling out a pair of medical masks. Slipping one over his own face, he then handed the other to Deanna, who mirrored the doctor's actions. 

“Allow me to ascertain some things first – best to do that then tell you what I think.” came Dorian's slightly muffled answer, though it was not lacking in finality, before he made his way into the room, Deanna quickly following him. Selena, meanwhile, stood at the doorway, keeping her eyes locked on her baby, who, upon seeing the people entering her bedroom, stiffened and backed up against the headboard of her bed.

“It's alright, sweetheart.” Deanna offered, rushing to the farthest side of Elsa's bed in order to take her hands into her own. “It's me.”
“Mom...” the six-year old started before she began coughing again – the throngs of another coughing fit taking her. 

For Selena, whom had not seen much of her daughter in nearly a week due to work, it pained her to see the child appear worse than last week. She had hoped – perhaps foolishly assumed – that Elsianna would have recovered quickly and no longer need to be worried about being sick – like her mommy. Yet, as she heard another fit of coughing, a wicked thought came into her brain.

She's only half you...

It was the tone that made Selena feel ill to her stomach. It reeked of shame – like Sirus was disowning her snowflake – or saying Selena should do that. Harshly, Selena clamped down on her lip, biting it with all she had – pain shooting through her, forcing her to instantly let go of the soft flesh. The distraction was enough for her to re-focus on the scene before her.

“You remember Doctor Embers, right?” Deanna's voice lifted through the room, soft and gentle.
For a moment, Elsianna's eyes lit up. “Is Osana here?” she suddenly asked, excited, despite her raspy voice from the coughing fits. “Are we going to play? We were on the enchanted forests of Mercial!”

Behind Dorian's medical mask, a soft chuckle came from him. “No, Ms. Frost, I'm afraid Osana isn't here. It is quite late, after all.”
“Oh.” Elsa replied glumly.
“I'm sure she sends her best.” the doctor consoled. “But I need to check to see what is wrong with you and ask you a few questions. Is that alright?” 

Nervously, the young girl's eyes scanned around the room before settling on the older Frost standing at the doorway, arms wrapped around her lean frame. Sapphire eyes met crystal-blue and Selena tried to duck away so the child wouldn't see her, but she was far too late.

“Mommy?” Elsianna called out, but when Selena didn't move (despite every fiber of her being screaming to), the child looked back at Deanna with alarm. “Why doesn't mommy come in?”

It was Dorian's turn to cast a glance at Selena, taking in the situation before answering. “I'm afraid that I don't have enough medical masks – these things here -” he pointed to the white, paper-like covering on his face. “- to give to both your moms. Without it, she might get sick if she comes in here.”

Despite the eloquence of his answer, Elsianna quickly shook her head. “No way! Mommy is better than Superman-”
“Elsa.” Deanna sighed. “Not this again.”
“No no... Mommy never gets sick. And in Superman IV, he got sick.” she reasoned. “Right, mommy? You never get sick.”

Selena opened her mouth to answer, but no sound came out. She tried again but to the same effect.

“Uh-Be that as it may.” interjected Dorian as he opened his bag to pull out his stethoscope. “Would you really wish to risk it, Ms. Frost? After all, what if you got your mommy sick? Would you be happy if she was coughing like you are now?”

Eyes widening in alarm, the child shook her head.

“Of course not, because you care about your mothers. Just like your mothers care about you. That's why they've brought me here.” Dorian rationalized simply – clearly experienced in dealing with sick children. “So, I'm going to need you to be super-honest with me so I can help you the best I can, alright? Because...well, it IS getting closer to Christmas, right?”

“Yes-” Elsa started but another cough swallowed up her answer.
“Okay – so let's see if we can fix you up so you can see Santa! I heard he's coming to town!”
“Next weekend!” offered Deanna. “That's what I heard.”

She was, of course, referring to the annual neighbourhood Christmas party, where all the adults/parents worked together to turn their little corner of Manhattan into a winter wonderland of sorts. When Deanna and Selena had moved into the neighbourhood about two and a half years ago, they had been welcomed in and – when Christmas came a few months later – they had taken part of the festivities, despite Selena's issues with Christmas. This year, thanks to the whole 'pretend it's Halloween' magic trick Selena and Deanna had played on Elsianna, with help from the other members of the community, the Frost wives had agreed to host the party...

And Deanna had spearheaded the whole thing. Every time Selena had returned home from work, she had seen more and more of, not only the front yard being decorated, but also the parts and pieces of other sections that would soon be built. In fact, her role this year – surprise, surprise – being the Snow Queen of winter had come with a wooden 'castle corner' of sorts. The main-event, Santa Claus, would have his 'Corner of the North Pole' at the big clearing the trail had near the Embers – just a bit further than where Selena had run to tonight. As for Selena, according to Deanna, she'd have 'shop' set up on the smaller clearing closer to the Gettys and the Burgsteens. The kids would see her first, receiving hot cocoa with marshmallows before walking through the trail of lights and shapes (all 'Christmasy') before meeting Santa.

From what she had seen, Deanna had done an amazing job so far, organizing everyone – And for letting me go first, for the most part. Selena thought. They'll be too excited to get started and see Santa. They'll blow right past me and Santa can deal with them hopped up on sugar. she mentally teased, though the coughing of her daughter broke her thoughts rather easily, reminding her of the harsh reality of her current situations.

Doctor Embers, meanwhile, had been speaking to Elsianna, asking her questions as he used his stethoscope to hear her breathing. Words like 'phlegm' and 'chills' drifted from Elsianna's voice into Selena's ears, and all Dorian seemed to do was nod his head in understanding. Finally, and a lot sooner than the Snow Queen figured it would take, the older man stood off the bed, allowing Deanna to further tuck her daughter in.

As Dorian was speaking further, with Selena listening in, she suddenly felt a tugging on her pant leg. Turning around, Selena was met with the tired expression of her son, David, the little boy rubbing his eyes as he stood there in his light-blue, fuzzy pyjamas – which were covered in red and yellow race cars. 

“What going on?” he muttered.

Quickly, Selena cast a glance back inside Elsianna's room before gently scooping her son up into her arms. “Nothing, little prince.” she smiled, though it was somewhat forces due to her worry for Elsianna. Gently, she rocked her son in her arms as she made her way back into his room. It was darker, as only his nightlight was on, but she could still make out the outline of his 'sport balls' bedsheet that covered his bed and she could see the stickers of 'cartoon' stars and planets that decorated the walls of his room – ranging in size and color. 

“I'm thirsty.” whined the boy as Selena tucked him into bed.
“You know what happens when you drink water this late, David.” Selena shook her head.
“But I'm REALLY thirsty.” the young boy whined.

With the closing of her eyes and a sigh, Selena took a deep breath before nodding her head and opening said eyes. In the span of twenty seconds, she disappeared out of the room, walked the short distance to the bathroom, took the red, plastic cup with the Superman logo on it, filled it a quarter full with tap water and returned to her son's side. She helped her son sip the drink until it was gone.

“Okay?” she asked as she sat on the bed beside him, gently petting the side of his face. For David's case, the boy didn't care – he just loved getting the attention. Nodding his affirmative, he then slowly yawned before turning over on his side.

“Want me to sing you to sleep?” Selena asked.

Merely shaking his head, David's eyes were already closed and Selena could see that her son was already slipping back into sleep. With a smile, Selena tucked her long braid back behind her, leaning in to give her son a soft kiss on the cheek. She said nothing else as she left the room – not even when she felt a stabbing pain in her foot when she stepped in one of David's legos.

Oh we are DEFINITELY having a talk about this in the morning! she committed to memory as she quietly limped out of the room, closing the door behind her. Placing David's cup back in the bathroom, the Snow Queen gazed into Elsianna's room, surprised to see only Elsianna lying there, coughing a little. She was about to call out to her, when-

“Selena...” came the hushed voice of her wife, causing Deanna to turn in time to see her at the bottom of the stairs with Dorian Embers. With a wiggle of her fingers, the redhead beckoned her wife to join them. As quietly as possible, using the rail for support, the platinum-blonde crept down the stairs until she was on the ground floor with the other two adults.

“So?” she asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

Deanna slowly gazed at the doctor before turning her head back towards her wife. “Dorian thinks it's pneumonia.” she replied, her voice dropping – revealing the worry that suddenly gripped Selena at hearing those words.

“Pneumonia?” she asked in disbelief, her eyes blinking several times.

“I can only suspect.” Dorian interjected. “Because I need to analyze the culture I took from her throat and see what I find.”
“Can't you do that now?” Selena asked quickly.
“I'm afraid it needs to be done at the hospital. With the right staff.” he answered.

“Well – how long will that take? I mean – children die from pneumonia, don't they?!” as the panic rose in the white-haired woman, so too, did the pitch in her voice and some of the volume. However, as she said the word 'don't', Deanna's hand flew out to cover her mouth, effectively silencing her.

“Easy!” she prompted sternly. “She is not going to die, Selena.” came the promise.
“Of course not.” the doctor confirmed, his voice deeper than Deanna's. “I took her temperature and it's down to ninety-nine degrees, which is better.” 
“Better – but not good.” Selena countered. “She's not supposed to be sick.”
“Selena -” Deanna chastised. “Children get sick-”
“But Frosts don't.” the older woman explained as patiently as she could. “I'm not in denial or making this up. We just... we don't, okay? I've not been sick since I was a little girl. I don't get sick.”

“Well, for be it for me to question family genetics.” Dorian replied with a small smile. “But I can guarantee you that your daughter is.”
“How?” Selena asked. “How would she get it?”
“If it's bacterial pneumonia, I'd say from the school. I've had a few kids her age coming in with the same flu-like symptoms. Some are the flu and some were pneumonia.”

“But-” Selena started, but again, a hand from Deanna – this time placed on Selena's shoulder – silenced her. 
“What is the plan here, Dorian?” Deanna asked – once more in 'mother-mode', causing Selena to be reminded of Dorian's words on the ride back to her house – about how 'some people were natural caretakers'.

Slowly, the doctor began packing up his medical bag as he spoke. “Well, for the next few days, keep her bedridden. It's holiday season, so she should be alright in terms of school. For now, change the lozenges to a strong cough medicine. Do you have that?”

“We do.” Deanna nodded – which was good because Selena had no idea. “I was sick earlier this year last month.”

Selena's head jerked to stare at her wife. “You were?! When?!”

“Doesn't matter.” Deanna dismissed her with a wave of her hand. “It came and went in a few days – before you got back for the weekend.”
“Yeah, but-”
“Doctor?” Deanna interjected, effectively dropping the subject.

“Yes...well...” Embers paused, clearly sensing the slight tension from Deanna's confession. “Don't have her take too much, because it will dry the throat, but a single dosage every few hours should help with the chest and throat pain.”

“Anything else?” Deanna asked.

“Yes.” he replied hesitantly. “Until I know whether or not this is bacterial pneumonia – and with you having a baby and two-year-old here in the house, I need only one of you to be the one that checks in on her.”

Slowly, Deanna turned her head to gaze at Selena – only then was the implication registered in Selena's mind. “No! No way!” Selena pressed in a hiss. “You can't keep me from looking after my sick baby!”

“Mrs. Frost, you could get infected yourself.”
“What part of 'I don't get sick'-” she emphasized her words with the clapping of her hands. “Did you not comprehend?”
“Selena...” Deanna tried.
“Don't you start!” Selena interjected. “Don't use that pleading tone and pretty eyes – you know I can't! She's my daughter, Deanna.”

“She's my daughter too!” shot back the redhead. “And I am just as worried about her as you are. But what happens if you get sick? Let's even go hypothetically. What happens? You miss your shows-”

“There's one left before the holidays.” Selena shrugged. “I think they'll forgive me if I can't make it.”
“And what about the End of the Year Special? Your anniversary event?”
“Again – I am sure they will understand.”
“And what if it doesn't go away? What if it lasts for a month - or more?” Deanna countered.

Without meaning too, Selena's lips pursed together in a 'pfft' sound. “Pneumonia doesn't do that.”
“Actually...” chimed in Doctor Embers. “It can. Sometimes months.”

Selena's eyes widened. “Months?” she asked – though her thoughts were not on her but on her daughter, Elsianna. “You must be joking.”
“A number of cases, the symptoms persist for at least one month. I've had some that lasted longer.”

“See?” Deanna stated.

“But this is moot.” Selena stated. “There's a chance that I'm going to quit-”
“Not till after you cash in your Trios – and we both know where you are going with that.”

The statement caused Selena to slightly narrow her eyes at Deanna. Clearly, the woman had watched last Breakdown...again... because anyone who saw it would now what Selena's next move would be. Bree Lancaster had cheated her out of their second match for the United States Championship, using interference where such a thing had originally been forbidden. That, pulling of the ropes and an official that, unfortunately didn't see any of it happen had left Selena with only one option for another chance at the United States Title – as she did not trust Katya to let Sasha push through another chance.

Her Trios Contract.

“I...” Selena took a deep breath. “I'm not prepared to simply disappear and ignore her.” she stated.
“It won't be for long.” Dorian tried. “If it's not bacterial or contagious, I'll call immediately and let you know, okay?”
“And if it is?” Selena pressed. “I'm not going to-”
“Selena...”

Swiftly, and with a big of force, Deanna pushed Selena by the shoulder, guiding her into the kitchen. “Just a quick word.”

Alone in the next room, Deanna stared at Selena. “Stop it.” she stated, crossing her arms.
“Stop what?” Selena asked.
“Being so selfish.” Deanna stated. “You have a job to do – you can't afford to get sick.”
“I don't-”
“Get sick.” Deanna interjected. “Well, I'm not going to let you take that chance. Because if you're sick and thinking about facing Bree – she will destroy you.”
“You think she's better than me?”
“If you're coughing up a lung? I think that guy that lathers himself in lube and jumps on people is better than you.” Deanna stated coldly.

A hiss of breath came from Selena's nostrils as she turned to pace around the room. “So why you?” she finally asked. “Why do you get to see her? Why do you not get an embargo?”

“Because where else am I going to be?” Deanna asked incredulously, lifting her arms in a shrug. “Where else do I go? My life – my world – is basically here. I don't travel to other towns and places like you do as much. I'm raising our kids. And if I was going to catch it, I'd have done so by now. Or at least shown symptoms. Dorian feels I'm okay. You are not.”

Slowly, Selena shook her head. “So what? Christmas rolls around and I can't be near her? My birthday rolls around and I can't be near her? Her birthday rolls around and I can't be near her?”

Deanna's only response was to sigh heavily. 

“You actually want me to do that? Elsianna would be crushed!” Selena shook her head.
“I will explain it to her.”
“Then she'll blame herself!”
“Then you can explain it to her after she's better-”

“Perhaps I can help here.” the voice intervened, belonging to that of the doctor as he peered his head around the corner, gaining the attention of both ladies. “Sorry, you were taking a while.” he explained before clearing his throat. “Ms. Frost.” he started, staring at Selena. “I'm not saying you'll get sick by being around your daughter. That really isn't too much of a concern of mine. You're a healthy, young adult by the looks of you – you'd have no problem fighting this off. My concern lies in the fact that if this strand of pneumonia is contagious, even if you don't get sick – as soon as you are near Elsianna, you become a carrier. And if you're going around the house, carrying it from room to room, item to item, you will give it to your son and infant daughter – and THAT is where problems will really begin.”

Selena's mouth opened to say something but she forced it close as those words sunk in.

“Ms. Frost.” he gestured towards Deanna. “Has been here the whole time, watching over all the symptoms and none of the other children are sick. She is the safest bet for them. Unfortunately, we don't know if you being added to the mix makes things better or worse. But we know that it being just your wife works.”

You do what's 'right'...I do what 'works'! Selena shook the echo of one of Bree's previous promos from her mind. She thought about her son, her baby Ami – and how, if they got sick, there would be no bedside doctor visit. They would be in the hospital for the holidays – and Ami...still less than a year old might...might...

“Fine.” Selena finally barked out. “I'll stay away.” she released a shuddering sigh.
“It'll only be a for a few days while the tests are run.”
“Unless it IS contagious.” Selena grumbled. 
“Let's hope it isn't.” Dorian finished, turning to Deanna. “Ms. Frost, you have my number in case of emergencies.”
“I do.” Deanna nodded. “And thank you so much.”
“My pleasure. Ms. Frost.” he offered Selena, who could only nod her head in understanding.

The door opened for the doctor's exit, sending a blast of cold, winter air into the mudroom and filling Selena's senses, temporarily invigorating her, empowering her – like home – until the door was shut and it went away. She wanted to go back outside and dive in it – play in the snow and cold, let it fill her, calm her, make her invincible so she wouldn't be a danger to her own damn family-

“Mommy?” the voice came from upstairs, causing Selena to spin around and  gaze up towards Elsianna's room. “Mommy?” it came again, followed by a few coughs – quieter than the ones Selena had heard so far tonight. Turning around, she saw Deanna standing before her, a sad expression on her face.

Despite knowing what would be said next, Selena begged anyway. “She's asking for me. I'm 'mommy'.”
“I know.” Deanna smiled sadly, reaching up to cup Selena's face. “But you can't.” she whispered before moving past Selena to, once more, climb the stairs. Selena started to follow her but only got three-quarters of the way up before the red-haired woman turned her head, emerald eyes staring into sapphire ones. Slowly, and sadly, Deanna shook her head, silently telling the Snow Queen – the woman that was supposedly 'the Face of SCW' 'no. Stay put.'. 

And Selena, heart-breaking, obeyed, lowering herself to sit on the steps. It was enough for Deanna, who, once more disappeared into her daughter's room. This time, however, Selena had no son to distract her. Instead, she simply listened to each word that came from the room.

“Is the doctor gone, mom?” Elsianna asked.
“Yes, dear. Is the medicine working?”

No answer came right away in terms of words as Elsa nodded. “But I can't sleep. Where's mommy?”
“Mommy is...” Deanna tried. “Mommy still can't come in, sweetheart. Remember? We don't want to risk her getting sick.”

“But-” Elsianna tried, using all the logic her young mind could conjure up. “Don't you have more of those masks? You could use the doctors.”
“The doctor took all of them away. He said I could come in, but Mommy can't.”
“But...but...” Elsianna tried in a raspy voice. “I want Mommy to sing me the lullaby...” 

Selena almost missed it, but her ears picked it up, causing her heart to leap into her throat, though said pale hands immediately gravitated to her chest, where her heart was supposed to be. Elsianna only asked for the lullaby if she couldn't sleep – if she desperately needed her mommy there with her. Because, with the lullaby, would come the cuddling, Selena holding her baby to her until Elsianna fell asleep. 

She was needing that now. She was sick, she was sore and, most of all, she was scared.

Sing it to her from there! her mind begged but her voice made no sound. It didn't matter whether she sang it or not. Either Elsianna would be upset that her mommy wasn't there or she'd be upset because her mommy could only give her the song and not hold her.

“I'm...I'm afraid she can't.” Deanna's voice came from the room. “Too many people rely on her to be at her best – including you and me, darling. If she gets sick...”
“But she told me that she never gets sick. Never ever.” Elsa tried weakly.

There was a moment of silence before Deanna's voice was heard. “Elsianna – everyone can get sick sometimes. Even Superman. Even mommy.”

A brief, haunting silence hung in the air and all the Snow Queen wanted to do was rush into the room, declaring boldly, “It's not true! Nothing can make me sick!”, an unrealistic notion, yes, but one that she desperately wanted to make for her snowflake. But again, only silence came from her.

“Then...” the quiet, horse voice of Elsianna drifted down to Selena. “Then I guess she isn't better than Superman...”

Whatever pieces of her heart that weren't broken everything that had happened earlier – Selena could hear them in her ears as they shattered into even smaller pieces. The tears fell so easily as if crying was something she did every day. I'm such a damn baby...

“Maybe...maybe not now. But some day – you'll realize that she was so much better. Just in different ways.” Deanna tried. “For now... I'll sing you the lullaby if you want...”

There was no sound made from Elsianna in response, but soon, Deanna's voice, in song, drifted out of the room...

“Quietly hush now to sleep...
On the wings of the butterfly...”

Selena's head fell into her hands as the tears continued to fall. It wasn't that Deanna was a horrid song. She sounded beautiful and was doing all she could for the family – the woman deserves far better than me...

What hurt was that the song – the lullaby – it was her thing. Hers and Elsianna's. Something the two of them could sing to others or to each other but that was it. And while Deanna wasn't forbidden to sing it. It just...it just...

“It's just not the same.”

That wasn't Selena's voice who said what she was thinking. It was Elsianna's.

“I know.” Deanna offered in the most sincere of apologies. “I'm sorry...” 

It was too much – too much for Selena to keep quiet.

“Elsianna.” she called out, loud enough for her daughter to her but not loud enough to wake up David or Amiliah as they slept.

“Mommy?” came the response.
“You let your mom finish the song.” Selena ordered, though her voice trembled as she did. “Because she is going to need to sing it to you until I can. Do you understand?”

She tried her best to be strong in her command – and she was beyond grateful that Elsianna could not see her in that moment, or the child would see the woman's body tremble and see her tears falling down her cheeks.

“Ye-” Elsianna sniffled. “Yes, mommy.”
“Good girl.” Selena stammered a little as well, more due to her emotions. She said no more words as Deanna continued singing. Said no more words when Deanna finished, no more words when Deanna left the child's room, turned off the lights to the halls and bent down to scoop her up. 

In fact, Selena said nothing even after hours had passed and both Frost wives were in bed together, Deanna long since asleep, snuggled up next to Selena. All Selena did in that bed for those hours was stare at the ceiling and keep replaying that moment – Deanna singing the Snow Queen's lullaby – over and over again. It was only then that Selena whispered a single phrase.

“They all deserve far better than me...”
[Image: hffOaUZ.png]
SCW Supreme Champion
6x SCW World Champion
4x SCW World Tag-Team Champion
2x SCW United States Champion
3x SCW Adrenaline Champion
SCW Television Champion
Longest Reigning SCW World Champion (234 days)
Winner of Shot of Adrenaline Tournament (2016)
Winner of Best of the Best Tournament (2016)
Winner of Trios Tournament (2018)
Winner of U.S. Championship Tournament (2020)
Winner of World Championship Tournament (2023)
Winner of Tactical Warfare (2014, 2019)
Winner of Elimination Chamber (2015)
Winner of Roofed Cage Match (2019)
Winner of Last Person Standing Match (2019)
The Unbelievable Main Event (2021-2023)
Winner of Double Jeopardy Match (2022)
Winner of EOTY Invitational (2023)
Female Wrestler of the Year (2016, 2021, 2022)
Tag-Team of the Year (2020 - w/ Regan Street)
Match of the Year (2018, 2019, 2021, 2023)
Feud of the Year (2014, 2019)

[Image: 34zetxl.png]

Messages In This Thread
Selena Frost vs. Bree Lancaster - by Konrad Raab - 01-17-2019, 08:45 PM
RE: Selena Frost vs. Bree Lancaster - by SnowQueenSCW - 01-18-2019, 11:50 PM