Breaking News: Simon Lyman press conference
The room is filled with members of the press corps all trying to get a scoop before anyone else, amusing seeing as how anyone they trying to scoop for the story was on the room with them.

And what story is every member of the press trying get before anyone else today?

Let’s listen to Jack Hanley of the Action Sports News Network (ASNN) with details.

Jack: Good morning everyone. We are live on the main floor of the New Finishes Alcohol Treatment Center and we appear to be moments away from the Founder of the Center, former 4-time World Champion and now retired wrestler Simon Lyman to announce that he is coming out of retirement to take part in the God of Wrestling tournament in Supreme Championship Wrestling, the last promotion Lyman competed in, a tournament that is set to start in late September. Lyman who has been retired since Rise to Greatness 2017 and has since said that he wanted to stay retired was reportedly coaxed out of retirement by several other retirees joining the tournament including David Helms, Lucas Knight, and Shaun Cruze.

Lyman who is joined at the table up front by recent retiree and his longtime tag team partner Donovan Kayl as well as his daughter Angelina is now about to step up to the podium as we can see. Let’s listen in to what he has to say.

Simon: Good afternoon, and I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for being here for what is no doubt going to be something that people will not forget. I am not stupid, I know what you are here for, and what you are expecting to hear. In 2017 I retired from wrestling and I said that I would never comeback, despite the fact that professional wrestling has authored many comebacks by people who were once retired to active competitors again, and yes there have been several times that I have thought of coming out of retirement myself including today. The God of Wrestling tournament is one that I would love to compete in, no doubt. The people that have entered it so far are second to none, and I am sure that will it continue to attract more big names, from the past, present, and future of wrestling. I also wanted badly to compete in next year’s Taking Hold of the Flame battle royal, as that would be 25 years since I started wrestling.

Simon swallows several deep breaths and even appears to wipe away a tear before continuing.

Simon: However, after careful deliberation, I can assure you all that my participation will not be happening now, or ever again with respect to a wrestling ring, as an active competitor.

Several gasps in the room as this is not what people were expecting to hear as Simon continues.

Simon: As I stated, when I woke up this morning seeing the names that had already entered, I knew that this tournament was one that I too wanted to compete in, and I planned on entering my name in. But, as my mother used to say to me while I was growing up, man plans, and God laughs. When I retired I did so in large part because of the major stroke I had survived in 2016. While at the time I told everyone that I was not in any more danger in the ring since the stroke, sometimes things change, and this one of those times. Rather than talking about things that I really don’t have firm grasp of because I think all of you have heard me do enough of that rambling on in my shoots…

Some laughter in the audience before Simon continues.

Simon: I meant with this woman to my left Neurosurgeon Dr. Wendy Brown of UCLA Medical who will go over the details of what we discussed this morning. Dr. Brown?

Dr. Brown gets up and comes over to the podium, as Simon sits down.

Dr. Brown: Good afternoon. My name is Dr. Wendy Brown, and I have worked with primarily athletes for twenty years as a neurosurgeon, so please let me be brief. I saw Mr. Lyman this morning, because he was seeking a third opinion on whether he should resume his active wrestling career after a two-year absence from a wrestling ring. After looking at his most recent MRIs and pet scans which are in the last month, I determined as did renowned surgeons Dr. Jack Andrews and Dr. Ravi Kateel of Johns Hopkins University in New York that there is no way in good conscience I can medically clear Mr. Lyman to compete as an active wrestler any longer. When Mr. Lyman suffered his stroke, there obviously some permanent nerve damage.

Since the time that Mr. Lyman retired from active competition, there has been several places of nerve damage throughout his spine, and we have determined that this nerve damage is only going to get worse. Quite frankly I and other surgeon who have looked over his case believe that by the time that Mr. Lyman being nearly 42 years old now, will have to walk with some type of cane or a walker by the time he is 60, if he can still walk. I really wish that I had something better to tell all of you, but I also owe it to Mr. Lyman and anyone he might compete against that I do I thorough and honest job reporting my findings, which with regarding to wrestling that if Mr. Lyman were to compete, he runs a substantial risk of being paralyzed, something that I don’t believe anyone here wants.

One more quick note before I am finished with my comments, I have also determined that it is safe for Mr. Lyman to continue being a wrestling trainer at this time, as training wrestlers and actually wrestling are two completely different things. Mr. Lyman of course, knows what things to look for and he should and has assured me that he will get to doctor immediately should his condition worsen to the point that he feels that he could possibly be a liability as a trainer. Again, I wish I had something better to tell all of you, but that is truth of Mr. Lyman’s medical condition at this juncture, thank you.

Dr. Brown sits down and Simon gets back up to the podium, with a buzz in the room.

Simon: At this time, I will briefly take questions, starting with the lady in the third row standing up.

Reporter #1: Simon, obviously you had to know that something had changed in the way that you were feeling in order to go to seek a medical opinion in the first place. Could you tell us how long ago that was and exactly what it is that you were feeling?

Simon: Right, so basically about two and a half months ago I started feeling some tightness in my back in several spots along my spine. It was and at this point is still nothing major, but it felt tight enough that I decided to see Dr. Andrews first and he immediately ordered the first MRI which was the start of this whole process. Ok, next question, you there, gentleman right up front.

Reporter #2: Simon, did you tell anyone what was going on as this happened?

Simon: Well obviously Donovan here (motions to Kayl) he knew everything the entire time. I joke that he knows my body better than I do anyone after 10 years on the road together, so he probably knew without me saying anything anyway.

More laughter.

Simon: Amy Chastaine, who is not only a friend but my boss, I feel that I should tell her because she sees me on a daily basis, notices changes, and also is responsible for the safety of the wrestlers I am training as am I. The there is my ex-wife Trinity, I keep her informed about my health so she can talk about thing with my daughter Angelina who I don’t keep anything from about my health either. That’s really about it. Next question, the tall gentlemen in the back.

Reporter #3: Simon, looking into the future, where do you see yourself when you are 60? Will you be walking with a cane? A walker? Will you be walking at all?

There is a heavy sigh and Simon looks at Donovan, the two nodding in quick agreement before Donovan gets up with Angelina as does Dr. Brown.

Simon: I will be doing my best to continuing defying the odds, spending time with my daughter, brother, close friends and continuing to enjoy life after wrestling. Thank you for your time folks and enjoy the rest of your afternoon.

Several reporters shout out questions that go unanswered as Simon, Donovan, Angelina, and Dr. Brown leave the press conference which goes back to Jack Hanley.

Jack: There you have it folks, in a shocking turn of events, Simon Lyman does not come of retirement but instead confirms that he will never wrestle again due to his health. This has been Jack Hanley reporting for ASNN.

Fade.