40 Person Taking Hold of the Flame Battle Royal
The scene opens on a solid black screen. A very low and ominous musical score begins to play. The screen stays black as a voice begins to narrate a prologue and historical setup to what is about to be seen.

§ Voice Over §

A revelation... A revelation is defined in many different ways. For some, it is considered a pleasant and often enlightening surprise for someone. In simpler terms, it's simply revealing something and making it known to others. It doesn't necessarily matter what it is, or what it means, the fact that it is revealed technically qualifies it as a revelation. But then... Then there is revelations in the form of spirituality, religion, and God. Those revelations involve the revealing and communicating the divine truth, or revealed to the human race by God himself, or through one of his "voices."

Focusing on the religious aspect, The Book of Revelations is one referred to by many pseudonyms. It's simply called The Book of Revelations, but it's also known as the Revelation of John, the Apocalypse of John, and the Revelation of Jesus Christ. Now, Apocalypses have been spoken of in this context before. But instead they were done in the matter of destruction. They were meant to be the moment everything comes to a head, being the destruction and effective "second coming." Negativity, destruction, defeat, death, all of that is what Apocalyptic tales have been used in the past, but in this instance, the word "Apocalypse" and its root origin come from the Greek word for unveiling. Hence, another way of stating, a revelation.

Now this Book... The last of the "New Testament" to be accepted as legitimate canon into the Holy Bible. This book focuses on many aspects of the Antichrist, the Seven Churches of Asia, meant to represent the seven ages of the Church of Christ, the Seven Seals, theoretically revealing to John of Palmos the history and his progression toward the early stages of Christianity, the Seven Trumpets, which range from interpretations as Pagan influences in Christianity, and other attacks on Christianity by groups such as the Saracen and Turkish armies, the Protestant Reformation, and eventually the infamous Beast and his number, 666.

Having said all of this, mostly believe this is where it all ends. This is where the ultimate idea of Jesus coming back leads to the creation of a new Heaven and a new Earth, one not plagued by death and destruction, also giving more use of the name, "The Apocalypse."

But there are more... Several more...

If you're one who simply believes that a King in England was able to produce a book to base an entire religious philosophy on, and not make omissions he didn't like, then you may not know it is so. You may not know that OTHERS had revelations. You may not know that these revelations were omitted because they didn't fit a narrative... And this... This is the idea, that we will ultimately focus on today.

You see, friends, there is a selection of texts in the Bible, disputed by various denominations. They are referred to as, "The Gnostic Texts." Now one might be asking why? What makes these books so egregious that they shouldn't be considered as canonical fact? It's because they delve into a world that puts a lot of the "virtuosity" of Jesus Christ at a little more of a "normal" level. It also has in it other revelations that may put things into a slightly different light. This is also true of "The Apocrypha" which are books not fully agreed upon by differing denominations. But the Gnostic Texts create a whole new world, that nobody quite wants to believe exists... Don't believe me? Here are three major "heretic" points in these texts that may make you think...

For one... Jesus Christ, as a child, wasn't perfect. In fact, according to The Infancy Gospel of Thomas, he was kind of an asshole. He cursed a neighbor for messing up a swimming hole he was playing in, he was bumped into by another child, and like the Son of God should, he smites him with death, and when Joseph once tried to discipline him, Jesus pulled the infamous, "you're not my father," card.

Continuing down the road of, "Jesus wasn't this fun-loving guy," in The Gospel of Judas, one of the most believed stories of the Holy Bible is put on blast. Why? This Gospel, or Revelation if you ask me, it is revealed that the entire betrayal of Christ was done with Judas and Jesus on the same page. That's right... Jesus and Judas planned the whole thing because Jesus needed his physical body to die to get to Heaven, and Judas was the man he was ultimately closest to.

Now these books have many revelations or apocalypses. As I said... John (several times), James, Paul, Peter, all of these men had moments and revelations where their personal reveals were written, but are not widely known. These weren't considered relevant to the story they were trying to tell. Catholics liked some of it, Protestants of various denominations add and subtract at will, Judaism picks and chooses, and in the end, everyone is left wondering what these parts would have made us believe if they were included in the books that we believe today. What would the narrative be? What would religion be like? The truth is, we will never know. But what we will know is there are times that everyday people who will have their own revelations. They may not be prophetic or considered that of an Apostle, but these people still have their moment to reveal or challenge the narrative and change the world going forward...

The black screen sees Jake Starr walk into frame, completely in black and white, and slowly look at the camera.

Jake Starr: ... And these, are mine...

Jake walks off of the screen, and the black background resumes, and the title card finally appears.

{ I REVELATIONS OF JAKE STARR - REBIRTH }

The screen, once again goes black, as the voice over commences again.

§ Voice Over §

A staple in the world of professional wrestling, a man named Jake Starr has put himself at the forefront of battling the masses. He has never stepped away or feared facing off against management in times of differing opinions or when there was a professional battle to be had. Over the years, prior to his recent stint in the business, people felt he wasn't worth the effort. As someone who began to see the writing on the wall, he had his first revelation in his life. He began to find that financial support for his family was dwindling, and his actions were putting his private world in a state of peril.

It was then he felt it was time to evaluate, self-investigate, and define who he was all over again. He elected to disappear. He elected to leave the business for what, he thought was, for good. He began to find his way through differing opportunities both in and out of the business to, once again, provide for he and his family. But as a man, as a person, as a soul, he felt empty in everything he did. He didn't feel like the man who defined over a decade of work and creation of this legacy. He fell into depression after depression, seeking guidance both through professional counseling, but at times trying to take a step through faith. Unfortunately for this man, he continued to fall and realize something was missing.

So he walked away from everything, and he took time to himself. And as has been a norm for him, he has sat on the shorelines of the Des Moines river, on one specific bench, and overlooked the same landscape anytime he's needed to reflect and search inside himself. This location, this landscape, these sounds, these speak to him much like the Lord sending a messenger like the Metatron or Rufus, the thirteenth Apostle. Jake doesn't get visions. He doesn't find out about money Jesus still owes others from back in the day. But he finds out the answers to whatever it is he is searching for. He finds a voice that speaks to him, and gives him guidance. He doesn't attribute this to a deity of any type, but instead, the voice of whomever or whatever it is always by his side and watching out for him.

That's why when he walked away, many days were spent overlooking this same area of the river. Years passed and Jake would sit there and try and figure out what he could truly do to take the next step in life. This time, Jake's "Rufus" didn't fall from the sky, but instead came up to Iowa from the streets of Norman, Oklahoma, and surprised Jake on the bench one afternoon. This man was Micheal Carrington, known to the wrestling world as Silkk. He spoke of a land where Jake could potentially revitalize his life, his career, and everything about himself. This "new Heaven and Earth" was known as Supreme Championship Wrestling. It was a Mecca, a Holy Land, a place worth the pilgrimage, that could bring him the happiness, and his own chance at a "second coming."

A replay of Jake Starr's Breakdown debut is shown, as he stares down and calls out the, then, World Champion, Shawn Winters. The move was seen as brazen by many of the long term stars in SCW, but for Jake Starr, it was a moment where the crowd remembered him, respected him, and gave him the love he hoped to have upon a return after such a lengthy layoff. In his head, he was already back, but he had yet to prove himself, and yet to do anything to make the SCW Universe believe that he was going to be a legit player in the biggest organization in the world.

A profile shot of Jake shows up, still in black and white. He looks off camera, as if being interviewed, talking about this time of his life.

Jake Starr: I was surprised. I was shocked. It had been years since my name had been mentioned in the world of pro wrestling, and I felt like I was one of those guys who had become relegated to convention circuit. Even then, I didn't feel right. i didn't want to make a living asking people for money for some old ass headshot of me, that I was simply personalizing to make a couple of bucks. I wanted people to bring pictures of me and them, I wanted to hear stories of how we interacted in the past or at one event. I wanted to share that memory. So when I stepped up into Shawn Winters' face, and the crowd knew what they were seeing, and what they were hearing, it was magic...

Jake continues to reflect on the first year of SCW, that was truly one of those years that many dream of.

... And the magic just kept going, you know. I became the guy in the crosshairs of everyone. It wasn't something anyone can prepare you for in this business. You can't prepare to be the guy everyone wants to hurt, everyone wants to dethrone, and everyone wants to claim as a victim. But I quickly walked into that role, and I didn't waste time falling back into that mentality where I could do no wrong. I fell back into that nasty, blackness, that clouded my judgment and made me one of the biggest pricks behind the scenes, and on camera. Sure, fans laughed. They saw it as dick and fart jokes pointed at opponents. But I was out there completely trying to silence and destroy legacies that had taken years to build before I ever walked in.

Christian Savior...

Jason Zero...

James Exeter...

Hurse...

Basically all of Greaternity...

Donovan Kayl...

All of these people had spent their careers defining themselves as legends, and here I was, walking in to take it all away. I didn't have basis for it. I didn't have groundwork to say I could do it in SCW. I just had a name that some new, some didn't, but soon everyone wanted to destroy. I became the marked man. I marked myself, and I called out everyone to come at me. I made it known I was a dick and I wasn't going to be scared of anyone calling me out on it. Hell, I laughed it off, as if it was a badge of honor to already have that much hatred against me. But I was wrong. It wasn't a blessing. It was a curse. It was a life that put me in constant fear of being injured, hurt, and taken out of a situation where, yes, I was thriving. But my thriving wasn't based on me being hated, it was based on my desire to compete at the highest level. I couldn't see that. I couldn't fathom it. Instead, I believed I just broke my opponents will to survive against me, and would continue to do so as long as I ever wanted... Why? Because I was Jake Starr. I wasn't fallible. I was better than everyone, and as the saying sort of goes, I knew it...

The screen fades back to black, before another title card appears.

{ II REVELATIONS OF JAKE STARR - EVERYTHING CHANGES }

As the title card fades out, the voice once again begins to narrate the vignette.

§ Voice Over §

For Jesus, whether the Gnostic Texts and Apocrypha are to be taken as factual books of the story of Christ, as time progressed, Jesus's role in the world changed. Yes, he was seen as that of the Son of God already, but past are the days of Jesus being a bit of an asshole, and The Messiah as we have commonly known him begins to take over. He begins to preach the Word of God to those who would listen, and build the world of Christianity, and the story of his life, as it is told in the accepted books of The Bible.

Now during this period of life for the Son of God, he is this prophetic Messiah. He's not quite a "Brian," but he's definitely earned himself a following. This following contradicted the mentality of the Romans, and ultimately led to him realizing that his days were numbered. Regardless of the collaboration in his betrayal as mentioned earlier, Jesus knew it was coming. That is a section of The Bible without argument. But it is these times, this part of the story where everything begins to change across the world. The Son of God is persecuted, and with the persecution proclaims that he will rise again, and be there for his followers.

As 2009 came to a close, Jake Starr faced his own persecution. Not in the way of death. Not in the way of being viewed as a God-like figure, but as someone who was changing the landscape of the world in which he lived. He had to face a lot of pressure, a lot of praise, and a lot of acknowledgment that he had done something the business that nobody had in the past. He was effectively creating the "next era" in professional wrestling, in a sense, like Jesus was for the sake of Christianity. Their respective changes, obviously are on vastly different scales of grandiosity, but there are even more similarities than the very simple one just mentioned. For one, neither truly got to truly "see" the fruits of their labor in their entirety. Why? Because of persecution. Because of becoming a martyr for their time. Because the actions of others to try and take that change in the world and make it their own... That was why these two people never got the chance to see their changes fully come to fruition.

For Jake, and not Jesus, this didn't involve death. Jake wasn't blinded, or hidden from the changes he was creating. Instead, he was continually praised for his abilities and chances to grow this movement and change to something even greater. His ego was continually inflated. He was continually patted on the head. And nobody seemed to have the guts to tell him that there was a situation where he could become complacent, and life could pass him by...

Jake's face slowly fades back in, still looking off camera as if being interviewed, and also still in black and white.

Jake Starr: ... This time in my career confused me. In 2010, less than one full year into my stint into my SCW career, I had become "the guy," and the one who everyone walked in and did what I did to Shawn Winters. I was the guy being called out. I was the guy changing the business night in, and night out. That whole year, it was the second year of nothing but more of Jake Starr in SCW, and it was becoming a trend that many wanted to end, or figure out. My success, my strengths, everything, was something that people wanted to go out and find the recipe for, and add that "extra spice" to make just that much better.

2010, it didn't happen to completion... After that, however, that recipe became more and more perfected...

It didn't change what people were telling me in my ear. Friends, family, colleagues, and even management were willing to say I was still the same Jake Starr. They would tell me that there was "no way" I was losing ground as new competition, and better competition, arrived on the scene. This competition, Shilo Valiant, Masquerade, Syren, Ravyn Taylor, the emergences of David Helms and Tommy Valentine, Kennedy Street, Regan Street, all of these individuals, began adding their ingredients to that "pot," and never once did I walk up and think I needed to "taste" it.

Instead, I mocked it all. I stayed being a dickhead who was so cocky, so unbelieving that anyone could compete with me, and would throw tantrums when things didn't go my way. What people didn't see was how much of a shit I was behind the scenes. I treated management like crap. I would go backstage and blame every member of the board and the office staff for my own shortcomings. I would act like I was infallible. I would go in there and demand justice for something that, ultimately, under-minded the talent of my competitors, and put the judgment of SCW in question. To me, after everything I had been told, I was this organizations Savior. I was the man tasked with carrying the organization on my back because I had done so against ICW on multiple instances, and proven to come out on top. That's not to say nobody else in SCW would or could have... But I was so built up and hyped up in my own mind, I was the one true defender of the greatest professional wrestling organization on Earth...

Years went on, and I became more and more angry. I wasn't that person anymore. People didn't look to me. They looked to others, even my friends and peers, as the "best candidates," and my jealousy began to rage. I hated everyone around me. I hated friends, I hated family, and I hated management who didn't "reward" me for everything I had done for them. In my head, I had bled, sweat, and cried over this place only to never be rewarded for my dedication. The title reigns, the accomplishments, none of it seemed to be enough, and it led me to slowly begin to be jaded with an organization that was promised to me to be the Promised Land. Every year, I got worse. Every year, I felt worse. I didn't look at it as a bigger challenge, but instead, I blamed others. I told the world that I was completely innocent and nobody could even fathom blaming me.

I was a complete fool. I was the guy who many jaded and old guard turn into. I was everything I hoped I would never be. But I was that. I couldn't pretend I wasn't. No matter how much I bitched, moaned, whined, and fake cared, no matter what "perfect words" I spoke, it didn't fucking matter. I was a jaded, asshole who wasn't happy not getting his way, and for once, the criticism that others had more passion than me... It was true...

{ III REVELATIONS OF JAKE STARR - FINALITY FOR THE STARR MARTYR }

Once again, the title screen appears and disappears, giving way to a voice over, sounding much like that of Chris Rock, dictating this final "Revelation" of the SCW superstar, Jake Starr.

§ Voice Over §

Jake Starr, while not seeing himself as a Messiah, like Christ, who I need to emphasize still owes me those $12.00, but I promised I wouldn't ramble about that... Jake Starr's life was taken from him, but unlike Christ, by his own hand. I say it was taken because there was a moment, unbeknownst to anyone but Jake himself, where he did begin an ascension to the Heavens. This man began to see the Promised Land that is truly on the "other side" of those of you on the physical side of the lifespan of your soul. It is something that I will say that nobody in this physical world truly WANTS to experience. Why is that? It's because it's true Paradise. You are being welcomed to the gates of Heaven, instead of going back to the reality of humanity where good and bad does exist. You're being forced to make a decision to live in eternal bliss, or return to the world that God provided with ups and downs, goods and bads, rights and wrongs, and nothing guaranteed.

Jake Starr has been there, and made that decision.

In making a decision like that, Jake decided that there was still something left here on Earth for him to do. Whether it is an accomplishment, whether it is closure, only he is the one to know. The fact that we can establish he has something left on this planet to continue with is because, hey, I've been there... Heaven is easy. Heaven is there to simply make the afterlife worth it and give you the ability to ignore the rest of the stupidity that lasts on Earth. Now, in keeping with the theme of what I'm here for, let's talk Supreme Championship Wrestling...

Before he decided to thwart the Word of God, which let me say, God does tend to forgive as long as you're not a complete fucktard. God spoke once stating, "what you hold truth on Earth, I'll hold true in Heaven," and if you truly believe that taking your own life isn't the "unforgivable sin" like the token white guys in the old KJV Bible, if you believe God will understand, and you haven't killed yourself as a quick out for something awful you did, God forgives.

I mean, let's be real, people... Robin Williams is, by no means, destined for a life of damnation...

As for Jake, the development of finding out e had sibling had a great effect on the reasoning behind his decision to not take the "easy way out." He had met his own bloodline. He had met the sister he had always wanted, but never had. He had realized there was someone he could help mold into the next generation of superstar that maybe, just maybe, he couldn't be. He thought that it would be motivation enough for him. He thought that it would be the drive he needed to succeed. But success in the business didn't come as he had hoped. In fact, all in all, failure had overcome success. The difference, however, is that Jake didn't take the blame as personally. He realized a lot had changed, and the fact is, maybe he just needed a course correction to get on track to being that motivational aspect of his sister's career. He had done something special upon his return. He and had his sister had had flourishes of greatness. Since then, however, Jake Starr had floundered, and many issues had caused the two of them to have clouded judgment and not as much success as they would have liked.

It leads us, ultimately, to present time...

Jake Starr is a man who still feels a sense of loss. This loss is different from the past. It's not what everyone else uses as the loss as motivation, but instead, this loss is personal. For the man once believing himself to be a "Starr Martyr," he's now simply a man with a destiny to fulfill before moving forward in life. No longer is this about life and death. No longer is about legacy and ruining something he worked hard to achieve. Now, it's about the man, the person, and the soul that made the decision to face reality and not take the easy way for selfish purposes. Believe me when I say, I was there. We talked. I was ready to take that fool for some money rolling dice, before introducing him to those vestal virgins the Muslims yammer about. They're real... They don't like playing jigsaw with their new man, but they're real, and you can usually get a few of them to break away from the harem and come to the "dark side" of Christianity, if you catch my drift. Starr wasn't like that... Instead... He was his own man... He had his own plan... And today, that brotha knows where his mind is and sees things clearer than ever... He may have had ones in the past, but just like in The Bible, your true Revelation i at the end of the book...

And this... As he said... Is his...

The scene slowly fades in, this time in color. There is very minimal production value as, this time, Jake Starr, sits in a generic metal chair, wearing normal street clothes. These clothes aren't anything special, literally what you would see on a normal human being, with a hoodie and a pair of gym shorts. There are some very cheap lights and one single camera being manned by someone, who in the end is irrelevant. Jake sits with the hoodie over his head, and slowly reach over and remove the hood from his head, and he looks up. This time, instead of looking at someone "interviewing" him, he turns his head directly to the camera, and takes a deep breath before beginning to speak.

Jake Starr: Here we are... This isn't a production set... This isn't somewhere with a backdrop fitting of whatever it is that we are trending to. But this isn't. We're nowhere important. We're not setting up "mood lighting." We aren't configuring anything to be more than me, sitting on a chair, and talking about what it is that is relevant today. It's not about winning... It's not about losing... Hell... It's not about wrestling. It's about me. It's about Jake Starr. It's about the reality that I have woken up in a day in my life where everything that I thought "was" was in fact, a farce.

Now I know everyone is standing there, sitting there, watching there, and asking one question... Why? Why the lack of pomp and circumstance? Why no flames to take? Why no ring? Why nothing? The truth is, it's because for once, it's not a moment where Jake Starr comes out here and runs his mouth. It's not a moment where I try to show everyone up by doing something flashy.

In fact... I'm simply letting honesty be the best policy...

For years, I have been in this business, and been in this specific organization. I have been a man who has been seen as a nuisance, a trailblazer, and a Hall of Famer. But the reality is those are names, monikers, and titles that used to define who I was. I used to be all of them. I used to be someone who had a lot of definition to his name. A lot of it, I earned. I accept the fact that I did a lot to earn it within the halls of this business. But there was a moment where I walked myself off of a cliff. There was a moment where I allowed myself to somewhat believe everything people told me. I was told how great and how transformational I was, and I bought into the hype, and by doing so, I let myself fall into a position where I personally lost my identity.

More importantly, people began to doubt who I was at that moment...

The fact is, SCW has been a home to me. SCW has been a location where, no matter how good, how bad, how shitty, I've treated others, it's always accepted me as one of its own. I have always been a staple of the roster, and behind the scenes, no matter what I did, or how I treated others, they always showed me a lot of love. When they found out how low I had fallen, everyone in the organization was there to reach out, offer whatever help I needed, and be there for a man who had fallen into a darkness none of them could even fathom. These people... These individuals... This roster... This family... These are my people. Like them, dislike them, whatever, this roster and this organization has been something that has been there for me in my darkest and ugliest of hours. They didn't have to. Some of them probably didn't want to. Instead, they did anyway. They stepped up to show me a level of love and compassion that I never expected to receive, and I owe them the world.

So what does that mean for today? Why is this a "revelation" for me? It's because in my SCW lifespan, there have been three "time periods," that have defined my stay, and this is that third period. This is that time period where, it's all on me to accept the reality of what is around me. First, I had to accept that I couldn't be the "Social Misfit" that was blacklisted. Secondly, I had to realize that I may have changed the business, but in doing so, created a situation where that meant I had to figure out a way to keep up with the changes I put in place, but instead, I became complacent, and I became irrelevant. Now... Yes... I'm fairly irrelevant. I've done a lot in the history of SCW, but WHO I am, compared to the greats and the upper echelon currently in the business, my name means nothing. It's something that is a hard pill to swallow. It's something that takes a lot to admit to the world, let alone yourself. But here I am. Here is the truth about who I am, what I am, and why I'm here...

But look around me... See this setup... There's nothing here. This isn't the way to drive home a message walking into one of those moments that, truly, I have very few of left in my life. This is just a fact. I don't have a lot of Taking Hold of the Flame battle royals left in my life. I can't. I physically can't sit here and say that I'll compete until I win. Why? Father Time is real. Aging is real. The fact that I can't trust myself to know I can keep planning on "just waiting until next year," because I am someone who has been battling the pains, the bruises, the aches, the pains, everything that comes with trying to go out there, compete with 30-40 other people, and try and become the last man standing. Last year, I thought it was a time to finally change the reality of the fact that I always come up short. Again, I did. I got further than ever, but I wasn't ready to face that last phase of the match, and I let my guard down.

So I'm out for redemption, right?

So I'm out to prove that I can finish the job, right?

No... None of that... Like I said, I don't know how many more of these I have in me. Hell, regardless, I don't know if I will ever have enough to walk out there and WIN and finish the job. Maybe last year was that moment. Maybe last year was the closest I will ever come to winning this battle royal. I don't know. What I know is that I walked out and did everything I could, and it wasn't enough. Now, in 2020, I'm laying it all on the line again. I'm not making some ultimatum that it's my last chance. I'm not sitting here saying it's all or noting. I don't know. My body is in charge. If I don't win, and I can give it another go next year, then you know I'll do the same. But maybe... Just maybe... 2019 was a moment to set me up for something bigger? I don't know. I don't know what 2020 holds.

This is where I begin to realize, things, and have my personal "revelation..."

Taking Hold of the Flame is just one match. That's all it is. It's just like a match that I've faced over the past year that I have been back. Now it's up to me to figure out how to not let it be like the matches I have faced recently because those haven't been positive. I've lost. I've not been someone I'm proud of. And it's been the reality check that I have needed. I have needed to realize that Father Time has me numbered. He's begun to run me by so fast that I realize there is so much in this business, so much competition, everything, I cannot keep up with. Now... I'm not saying I can't run a little faster for a while, and catch him. I'm not saying he's passed me by forever. I'm saying right now, SCW is at its most elite level in history, and me at my best moments, isn't there to compete.

Does that mean I'm incapable?

Does that mean I can't fight back?

Does that mean that it's not worth my time?

The truth is, I don't know. I don't know about any of this. I don't know if I'm wasting my time, and going out there to embarrass myself and not even being someone worth the time of day. I don't just don't know. What I know is that this is a moment for me to figure out where I truly stand in the business as a whole. I'm not that guy who says "this is my last shot." Nobody knows when their "last shot" happens because it's truly up to them. I'm not saying that "I need this," because I've faced death, head on. I've seen a place that would alleviate me of all of those questioning. I'm not proud of any of that, but it's true. I've seen the warmth and love of the "Beyond," but whatever that was wasn't my place at that time.

Why? Because I still have work to do...

Now I know everyone is expecting me to climax this promo and talk about how Taking Hold of the Flame is that "work to do." But the fact is, no. My work is to find my "closure." SCW plays a big role in my closure. It plays a role in me finding an endpoint for Jake Starr. I'm not like David Helms, though. Even with his resurgence, he had made a moment where he felt it was his time to exit. His return, I don't hold against him, but I know that my exit isn't going to be too far off of the horizon. Whether it's a year, two years, whatever, I am on borrowed time. I am at a point where I have to do something, or accept that we have reached a period of time in this industry where my time, my influence, everything is slowly transitioning to that of a mentorship, or teacher for further generations. If I'm not at that, I have to walk out there in the midst of up to 40 people who are on a level still superior to me, and I have to show them that an old dog may still have a new trick or two.

But the fact is... I have to show it. I can't show it by putting on a show. I can't show it by having some lavish presentation, or crazy metaphor with me grabbing a flame. This isn't that moment. 2020 isn't the time for some kind of cheesy idea to try and be remembered. Instead... I have to be remembered for two things... For one...

Jake points to his mouth.

... I have to have people hear me. I have to have people know that I have said something, and it wasn't irrelevant nonsense. I have to have people BELIEVE every word I say, and not just feel that I am the one going through some bullshit promo for a wrestling match, that sounds like the rest. I HAVE to be something believable. I don't have to be different. I don't have to be some kind of modern day Socrates. I just have to be someone that everyone can hear and believe in. I don't have to come out and say something prophetic, but instead I have to make sure the world knows that I am not some old motherfucker hoping for the best, but someone who still can impact the landscape of SCW.

This leads me to the second thing that I have to be remembered for... I have to be remembered for my actions. That, in itself, is a challenge because of the fact that I have not been someone who has had a lot of success lately. Honestly, I'm ok with this. I deserve the people of the world to say, "he doesn't deserve a second look," because, let's be real, what have I don't to EARN the respect of the masses? I haven't. I haven't done much to even be considered a competitor in a battle royal. And I'm not going to throw the stereotypical bullshit of it's anyone's game. It's not. It's who is the best that night. Now, could I be the best? Could I be better than those who doubt me? I believe I can. I did so in 2019, but that was then. If I'm going to do so now, I have to do it in a way that shocks the world.

So I can't run my mouth...

I can't pretend I'm a favorite...

I can't act like I deserve this...

I can't say I need this...

In the end all would be bullshit. I don't NEED this win. Do I want it? Do I desire it? Sure. There are 40 plus of us that do. We ALL want this. We want this for various reasons. For once, mine isn't about Rise to Greatness. Mine isn't about the main event. Mine isn't about a title shot. No... Mine is about realizing the truth about what is left to do. I haven't won this match. I have done everything I can in SCW. I have earned a lot of respect for doing much of what I have done. I believe this completes the circle. This completes the career. This is the moment I have not grabbed. Rise to Greatness is a reward, yes, but it isn't the match. This match IS the match. The fact I am against EVERYONE who wants to show up, IS the match. Forget Rise to Greatness. Forget the main event down the road. This is the ONE THING that Jake Starr hasn't done. It'd be the final piece in a puzzle.

You see, that's my SCW career, in a nutshell. It's been this 500 piece puzzle that I've slowly put together. Piece by piece, section by section, achievement by achievement, my SCW career has molded itself in that puzzle. It's become more and more complete. I've always said I'm searching for that "next bit" to add to my resume here. The fact is... There is only one thing left. I only have never won one match. If I win it, I complete the puzzle. I finish everything I COULD have done. This match... Taking Hold of the Flame... This is the one thing that has eluded me, and may elude my life. I may never come out on top. But as long as my body gives me the chance, as long as I have the physical mindset and true competitive feeling to go out there and fight, I will do so. But I'm done with pomp and circumstance. I'm done with metaphors. I'm done with trying to make it this "all or nothing" scenario because it isn't. If I don't win, I can wrestle the next day. But this puzzle... It has only one piece left to put in place.

So I guess this weekend, I try and finally complete it...

Many people live their life with a puzzle that some four-legged animal carried off one piece to. I could be that person. Or I could be the person who protects his puzzle, protects his masterpiece, and decides that only one person can finish it. I'm not promising I'm either or. I'm simply saying my possibilities here. It's my job to decide what REALITY comes to pass. Nobody else's. It's not a need, it's a want. I want to finish what I started in March of 2009. I want to make sure that my legacy, my painting, my everything is complete. I want to be able to know that I'm not walking away unfulfilled and WISHING. I am wanting to plan my exit knowing I did everything I could, everything I wanted, and everything those who thought highly of me, swore I was deserving of. So this isn't about a title... This isn't about a main event... This isn't about about a contendership... This is about Taking Hold of the Flame. This is about putting one last piece in a puzzle spanning longer than almost, if not everyone, in SCW.

That's why I sit here... That's why there is nothing around me... SCW is my finality. It may not be this match, and it may not be this moment. But SCW is my end. Jake Starr truly developed and became everything here. So it's only fitting I let SCW be the place I pledge my ending to. Do I want to end without doing everything I could? No... But do I realize the reality that this match is truly the hardest in SCW to win, yeah... Yeah I do. So I'm forced to simply say this... My "Revelation" is that Taking Hold of the Flame is no guarantee to me, nor is it with anyone. So I'm not going to sit here, make a scene, and act like I can make something a guarantee when it will NEVER be. Instead... I sit here and I say this is one of the last times I can do it. Hell it may be the last. My body knows, I don't. So I have to listen to it. This could be the final go round in a clusterfuck like this. It could be one of several. Hell, I could be one of those surprise people because I take a year off...

But I want this to be complete. I'm tired of "chasing" anything. It's been my M. O. for my career. I'm ready to finish my chase. I'm ready to enjoy my life. I'm ready to just quit having anxiety of me being me because of everything I've done before. So I want this to be "the end." Not the end of a career, but the end of "the chase." I want to just be able to "go with the flow." I want to enjoy whatever life brings. I want to fight my fight as it comes. In order to do so, I have to shock the world. I have to shock myself, my friends and my family, why? Because none of us believe I can do it.

2019... I was that close... Now I have to get closer?

I guess I live on the fact that this match favors nobody. No matter what anyone says, does, or has in favor of momentum. I have to hope fate is on my side, and I get to push that final piece into my puzzle. From there... I can ride a wave. I can enjoy what comes. I can ACCEPT what does or doesn't happen. Why? Because everything will have been completed. I will be FINALLY in full control of my own future. I won't be focusing on what I "haven't" done, but instead on what I COULD do down the road. I will allow myself to quit feeling like I haven't done "something" and instead do whatever my body is capable of doing going forward.

Fact is... I fail, we stay in the same world we live in...

I win... A new world comes for me. Why? Because for once, I get to stop fighting for putting a final piece in place. Instead, I'm liberated of my own demons. I'm given a true rebirth. Is that rebirth something to fear? Or is it just my psyche fulfilled of its own failures being extinguished, I don't know. I'm not a fortune teller. I'm not here to say I win this, I'm a World Champion again. Instead, I'm someone who cares about this match, this piece, this cog in the wheel, and just being happy if FINALLY I see my life as one of true fulfillment... Suffering... Needing... Wanting... Survival... Nothing of that sorts is acceptable. This is life... I live... Or I get carried out on my shield...

And thus finally ends the Revelation of the Starr Martyr...

With those final words, Jake slowly looks back down and gently reaches up to lift the hood back over his head. An audible sigh is heard from the Hall of Famer as the two individual lights are each obviously unplugged, and the camera slowly fades out with Jake's silhouette gently disappearing. One final time, the voice over speaks over the black screen.

§ Voice Over §

To many, Jesus was just a man. He was seen as someone who claimed great and big ideas, preached a philosophy, and asked others to believe in him. In this, albeit very simplistic definition, He and Jake are alike. Where they differ is in how history receives them. For Jesus, he is Christ, our Lord. He is someone who has an entire religion around him, and while nobody is insinuating that he will be like that of Brian or Jesus, history will still decide how epically or simple he is remembered in terms of this industry that he has chosen.

In this moment, though, his peace was spoken. He has told everyone of his story, and how throughout his life a normal man, like himself, could still do something many simply consider spiritual, and that is have these Revelations that, like those in all of the texts, no matter the belief, state that life is about to change drastically. This weekend, his Biblical fight comes to a head. His battle with his Revelations comes full circle. I can't tell you the outcome. Only one Woman can. Which I have to say, compared to what most people tend to always speak of and believe, is pretty "Ironic," don't you think?

Messages In This Thread
RE: 40 Person Taking Hold of the Flame Battle Royal - by Jake Starr - 05-29-2020, 06:58 PM