David Helms vs. Owen Cruze
2 RP Limit for singles

Deadline: 5 PM ET SUNDAY, May 2, 2021 – note deadline
[Image: MKl96W9.png]

[Image: bcywcYD.jpg]
I love AJ Allmendinger.
OOC: Here's my Helms effort for the week. Picks up a couple days after my last one and hopefully serves as a step towards the latter stages of my current arc. Shoot was a livestream from Saturday. Good luck Chris and for those who read it, enjoy.

[Image: helms2021banner.png]
Diary Entry – 15th April 2021

Couldn’t win on Breakdown, not as it matters. 

Didn’t ask Giovanni to get involved, but that doesn’t matter either.

The ONLY thing that matter was that the point was made. 

For years, I’ve tried to make out I know the way the business works. Even more recently, I’ve still been a flag bearer for the SCW brand, even though it didn’t get me anything but grief. Now I know how to play the system as well, people don’t like it. But I guarantee after what happened tonight, SCW will book the rematch.

Mark my words in fact. It’s gonna happen.

I’m done being ignored, it’s about time people started listening. 

I’m not going to stand for their bullshit anymore.

SCW is my plaything now. My Wonderland.

And the best bit about it is, with this new attitude of mine only the bullshitters will suffer.

Everyone else… will thrive.

And the one person I still truly care about. She isn’t going to like it. No doubt she didn’t like what happened to David, even though it had to be done.

But I got an offer for Jennifer as well. An offer that will show her that her Father is wrong, and I’m the one now playing with the full deck, same as everyone else. 

And it’s an offer that she won’t be able to refuse. I know it.

18th April 2021 – Los Angeles

Owen lays on a sun lounger, in the back garden of his house. On the chair adjacent to him is Finch, a bottle of beer in his hand. Owen had been spending more time with Finch than usual, but not out of choice. Jennifer had been away from the house often; Owen being left at a loose end. Thing was, Owen knew she was struggling with the whole thing, and yet she refused to talk about it. It was as if she were hoping that it was just a phase, and before long Owen would see sense. In fact, Owen got that impression from everyone, that it wouldn’t be long before Owen righted himself. What they didn’t realize is that right now in this moment, Owen felt more alive that he had his entire life. He had to admit though, regardless of all that, he was missing Jennifer, and the laughs that they shared. He hoped, just like she did, that she would come around to his way of thinking and see that he was right about everything going on right now. Of course the toughest part for them both was who Jennifer’s Father was. A man that even though he didn’t believe it, Owen still respected more than most. In the back of his mind, Owen knew that if he forced Jennifer to choose between them both, he would be the one who would lose her. And that was something he simply didn’t want to happen, nor would he let it.

Finch: So, what’s the plan? 

Owen: What do you mean?

Finch: Well, I know we ain’t sitting out here drinking all day, even if you’re on the soft drinks

Owen: I dunno, what do you want to do?

Finch: We could hit the mall, check out the honeys?

Owen: First, are you twelve? And secondly bro, I’m in a relationship, why would I want to do that?

Finch: Hey, I’m just speaking truth. Where is she huh? Seems to me like you’re spending a lot of time with me, and not too much with her.

Owen: Yeah, well that isn’t by choice. Well, my choice anyway.

Finch: She not keen on your taking matters into your own hands then?

Owen: I think it’s more to do with what’s going on with me and her Dad. It will calm down once they’ve done with this angle and they move onto their next money-making scheme. We’ll get through it.

Finch didn’t believe Owen and to be fair, Owen wasn’t buying it either. Owen had alienated a lot of people by his actions, and although the reaction had been expected, it hadn’t hurt any less. Although he would never show it outwardly, Peyton was the one that had hurt him the most, as she hadn’t even returned his calls and in effect had said he was dead to her. He’d hope for the chance to at least explain, but she wasn’t having any of it. And whatever Peyton was thinking, you could guarantee it was going through Jennifer’s mind as well.

Finch: Still, there’s no harm in doing a little window-shopping O-Cru…

Owen: Don’t call me that.

Finch: What, O-Cru? I thought…

Owen: Yeah, well you thought wrong. Please don’t.

Finch holds his hands up and takes another swig on his beer. O-Cru was the name Peyton had given him when they were younger, a name he had used for his fashion brand that he was on the verge of selling. He rubs his eyes, obviously feeling more than a little troubled now.

Finch: I’m sorry, no offence meant. But seriously bro, it will do you good just to get out the house. It can’t be doing you any favors staying cooped up here. 

Owen: Well, it’s not like there is anywhere else I can go is it?

A wry smile forms on his face. It seemed like everyone had judged him and thrown him under the bus and there were very few places he could turn. Taylor had stayed quiet on the whole matter, which had led Owen to concede she probably wasn’t very happy. His Dad’s memory was fiercely defended by Taylor, and woe betide anyone who shit on it, which Owen undeniably had in most people’s eyes. Kloe was out the country… though she had called to make sure he was OK. The one person who had tried to contact him was predictably Shaun, the one person Owen didn’t want to talk to. To everyone else, he may well have been a leper.

Finch: Exactly, let Finchy cheer you up with a little retail therapy… it works for the girls. I’ll even let you buy me Starbucks if you’re lucky.

Owen: Bro, I ALWAYS buy the Starbucks. 

Finch: That’s because you are loaded my friend. There, there’s the bright side, you have more money than most people our age. Enjoy it.

Owen: And let you enjoy my money with me?

Finch: Precisely… see, now you’re getting it. We don’t need relationships, we’ve got each other.

Owen: Wow, that’s a sobering thought right there. 

Finch: Stop being a douche, get some trainers on and let’s get the hell out of here. You show Jen that your still enjoying life, I guarantee she’ll come back running

Owen: I reckon you’re the last person I need to be getting life lessons from Finch. I’d do better with Holly Adams.

Finch: Who?

Owen: Wrestler, professional twitter troll… don’t worry about it.

Finch: Look, your new attitude is all about seizing control isn’t it? 

Owen nods his head, swinging his legs around on the sun lounger.

Finch: Well, there you go. Seize control of this situation and show her that this is happening, and she get either get on the train OR she can depart at the next stop

Owen: Are you really using a train analogy right now?

Finch: I am, and it’s a good one. You give in to this Owen and you’re doing everything that you promised yourself you wouldn’t. You’re allowing people, in this case Jennifer, to make your decisions for you, and isn’t that why your Uncle Shaun got a kick to the ball sacks?

Owen: It is

Finch: People gotta understand that this is you now Owen, and love it or hate it, they gotta support you. And if they can’t support you, then are they worth it bro?

He holds up his hands.

Finch: That’s the way I see it anyway.

Owen finishes off his glass of Coke, and places the glass on the table before slipping his feet into his trainers, then looking back at Finch

Owen: But I love her man, I really do.

Finch shrugs, and then smiles.

Finch: I know you do, but if you love someone you love them, unconditionally and no matter what. If she’s going to bail, just because you’ve upset the in-laws, does she really love you?

Owen: That’s not fair Finch, I know she does. 

Finch: Then, the pair of you need to stop messing around and talk about it instead of ignoring what’s going on. But if you want my advice bud, she’ll never take your side over theirs. Never. From what you’ve told me, she owes them a lot…

Owen: Family first, right?

Finch: Yeah, unless they need a kick in the soldiers

Owen smirks, Finch laughing.

Finch: I gotta smile, so that’s something. Whatever happens, you got me. Because unlike some I could mention, I remember all that you have done for me in the past and the sacrifices you’ve made for me. Whatever you choose to do, I got you. Remember that.

The two-fist bump, Owen getting to his feet.

Owen: Seriously man, thanks. I needed that.

Finch: Anytime… now, about the mall?

Owen: I’ll go to the mall, but I ain’t chasing girls.

Finch: Oh, come on, have you seen this package? I’m the one who gets chased.

Owen punches him in the arm, Finch feigning pain.

Owen: You’re a dick

Finch: Guilty as charged… but I’m YOUR dick, and that is in no way homo.

“Owen… is that you?”

Owen looks over his shoulder and to the back gate. Finch shoots him a look as a woman walks over.

“It is you… don’t you remember me? Maisie Phillips, I used to go out with your Uncle Shaun.”

Maisie had caused Shaun a lot of problems in the past, especially with him and Yvonne Knight.

Owen: Ah yes… I remember.

Maisie: Wow, you’ve grown up a lot since I last saw you.

Owen: Yeah, people do that.

Finch scowls, not knowing the history or understanding the animosity that Owen was giving out towards this woman who Finch had already categorized as hot. 

Maisie: I was wondering if you could tell me Shaun’s address. I promised him the next time I was in LA, we’d catch up, let him know how my therapy has been going. 

Owen: I’m not going to do that Maisie.

Maisie: Ok, well perhaps you could give me his number then? So, I can give him a call?

Owen is about to reject that request as well, before he realizes he had no reason to defend his Uncle, or no concern for what Maisie was up to. 

Owen: Hold on…

Owen walks into the kitchen leaving Maisie and Finch in an awkward silence, made awkward mostly by Finch staring at her. Owen walks out with a piece of paper in his hand and passes it to Maisie.

Maisie: Thank you, I know your suspicious but it’s nothing untoward I promise.

Owen: I don’t care either way Maisie. 

Maisie: Oh OK… well I’ll leave you in peace. Really nice to see you again Owen, maybe we’ll catch up soon as well? 

Owen: Err, I don’t think so.

Maisie smiles, and leaves the way she came, the minute she has gone, Finch turning to him with his eyes widened.

Finch: DUDE, she was coming on to you.

Owen: Give over, she’s like thirty-five or something.

Finch: I know, and that makes it even better. 

Owen: Be quiet Finch.

Finch: Owen, you got yourself a MILF.

Owen: You really are a prick, aren’t you? 

Owen heads into the house, Finch following him and chuckling all the way. 

Diary Entry – 22nd April 2021

And just like that, just as I guaranteed. Rematch made.

The cash cow shows itself, regardless of which ‘D’ is in charge, the immorality remains. 

I mean, I could lose my girlfriend off the back of this. I could lose those friends who have still stuck with me… all two of them. I could lose all that I love, but who fucking cares right? Who gives a shit? Not the SCW that’s for sure.

But it doesn’t hold any bearing with me. This time, I’m going to play the system again.

This time, I’m going to take ‘Big Match Dave’ and show him that Owen Cruze is no longer playing games.

I’m going to make sure I make a statement that NO-ONE in their right mind can ignore. A statement that will reverberate around Supreme Championship Wrestling forever.

A statement that will live forever. Some might say, that builds a legacy.

27th April 2021 – New York

Fact was, there was nothing that Owen found more boring than meetings. He had sat here for the last hour and a half listened to fact and figures, numbers that he recognized but couldn’t care less about, knowing that there was a million and one other things that he would rather be doing. Like getting home and sorting out his current relationship issues for one. And that was all he was thinking about as he sat looking out the window of the office, wondering whilst at the same time knowing what Jennifer was going to say. It takes Kloe to snap him out of his trance, but only because he hears his name.

Kloe: So, Owen, if you’re happy with everything, all you have to do is sign, here…

She flips the page over.

Kloe: And here.

Owen takes the pen, and without reading signs in both places indicated, sliding the paperwork back across the table. Kloe turns to the guy sat across from them both and holds out her hand.

Kloe: Congratulations Paul, you are now the owner of the one of the most up and coming labels in the industry.

Paul: Thank you… I look forwards to its continued success.

He holds out his hand to Owen, but his attention is already elsewhere again.

Kloe: Err, I’ll show you out Paul.

Owen doesn’t even notice as they leave the boardroom, neither does he realize when Kloe walks back in. At least no until she pushes his shoulder.

Owen: Huh…what?

Kloe: Well, that was rude.

Owen: What was?

Kloe: You didn’t hardly listen to a word Paul said about where he was going to take the brand. You didn’t even shake his hand as he left.

Owen: I told you I didn’t need to be here Mom; I honestly don’t care what he does with it anymore. 

Kloe: Well, you could have least shown him some common courtesy. 

Owen: Look, I’m sorry OK… just got a few things on my mind right now that are a bit more important. You suggested that I should sell, and I’ve sold so how’s about you get off my back? 

He sees the looks on Kloe’s face and he puffs out his cheeks letting out a long sigh.

Owen: I’m sorry Mom, I appreciate all that you’ve done with O-Cru, and dealing with the sale, but I just can’t be bothered with it all.

Kloe sits back down, in the chair that Paul previously occupied.

Kloe: You’re a very wealthy man now, that’s gotta mean something?

Owen scoffs, and leans back in the chair.

Owen: Yeah, if you’ve got someone to share it with

Kloe and Owen hadn’t really spoken about recent events, but after talking with David, and indeed Shaun, she knew that Owen had been dealing with a lot of fallout from his actions and in her opinion rightfully so. But she hadn’t felt it her place to judge, even though she knew that there were times when Orlando had gone through the exact same thoughts.

Kloe: I’ve tried not to get involved son, but are you ok? Because you don’t seem like it.

Owen: People think I’ve suddenly become the devil incarnate, but I honestly haven’t Mom. Look at the bad things some people have done in their lives, including Shaun, and I’m being judged in the same way. They think it doesn’t hurt when people I considered friends have just cut me out of their lives without a single second thought…

Kloe: But have you shown that you are hurting?

Owen: No because that would be weak. Live by the sword and die by the sword, that’s what Dad used to say isn’t it? I’m getting shit on from pillar to post just because I have a different opinion… and its bullshit. And now it looks like I’m going to lose Jennifer, because SCW can’t help themselves but get involved in personal issues. And someone like David Helms, or only a couple of years ago was protesting to SCW about Regan and AJ having to go at it, slaps me around the face on live television and then accuses ME of disrespect, even though the situation is THE same. If it comes down to it, who is Jennifer going to choose, me or her Dad? Her Dad of course, and it wouldn’t have had to be that way if Sasha and Olek didn’t poke their nose into business that wasn’t theirs. Gio see’s the way the company operates, and now I see it too… since when is that reason for me to be treated the way I am right now. Funny isn’t it? It’s like I said all along, you can get away with murder if you make the company enough money… how is that right Mom, explain it to me. How can it be right that after everything I have done for SCW, only now am I getting peoples attention and the big matches that I’ve deserved all along. But even so, I didn’t want to lose Peyton, Kelcey and all the others. And I don’t want to lose Jennifer.

Kloe can see that Owen is laying it all on the line, and in his eyes speaking nothing but the truth.

Kloe: Can I be honest with you Owen?

Owen scoffs

Owen: Why not, everyone else is.

Kloe: I think you are looking at this too simplistically. 

Owen: What do you mean?

Kloe: It seems to me like you think people have turned on you because of an opinion, or because you turn on your Uncle, when I just don’t think that is the case. Take Peyton for example, Giovanni Aries damn near killed her, and he didn’t without even thinking about it, just to prove a point. And then here you are, aligning yourself with that very same individual. You must see how much of a kick in the teeth that is for her. Even last week, Giovanni getting involved in your match with David… is it really a surprise to think that Jennifer might think it was planned?

Owen: I’m not aligned with Giovanni; I didn’t know he was going to do that.

Kloe: If you’re telling me you didn’t know he was going to do it, then I believe you. But I won’t lie to you Owen, at the end of that show the two of you looked thick and thieves. Whether you are or not that’s the way it looked, and we both know that the wrestling industry is all about perception. 

Owen: But this is my best friend and my girlfriend. They should know me well enough to trust I know what I’m doing.

Kloe: No Owen, they should love you enough to tell you when they believe you are getting it badly wrong. And I know that you are intelligent enough to realize that this situation was always likely to happen when you made your choice. You knew…didn’t you?

Owen lowers his head and nods; he had always known it was likely but had done it anyway, regardless of the cost. 

Kloe: Look Owen, I’ll never turn my back on you. You are my son, and that is never going to change. But I wouldn’t be a good Mother if I didn’t say to you that this path you are headed down, nothing good can come of it. As you become more and more immersed in this hate, the harder it is going to be for you to get out of it. And that is what Giovanni Aries in counting on. Like I said, I believe you when you say you are not a part of this ‘Wonderland’ he speaks of, but for him, this is the first stage down that path. I don’t think you want to become him, so please… Owen, go and see Andy before it’s too late.

Andy was the psychologist that had treated Owen in the past.

Kloe: You’re angry, you’re frustrated and honestly, I get that, but this person you are becoming Owen, it isn’t you. And it certainly isn’t who your Father wanted you to be. 

Owen: Fantastic, you think I’m crazy.

Kloe takes his hand in hers, cupping it.

Kloe: No Owen, I think your angry, hurt and perhaps a little afraid. But turning away from those that you love, and love you is not the answer. Giovanni Aries and his ‘beliefs’ are not the answer.

Owen pulls his hand away, and brings it to his face, rubbing his eyes. 

Owen: Maybe you’re right… what have I done?

Kloe: You’ve done nothing that can’t be fixed if it’s what you really want. But you need to start with that which you are most scared of losing. You must talk to Jennifer. Everything else will fall into place. You’ll see.

Owen turns his head back towards the window, and once again finds himself staring at the cityscape beyond. The whole situation was a mess, but he still had something to fight for, and fight for it he would. He now realized that no matter what else he had lost, he couldn’t lose Jennifer, as she was the one thing that had always held him together. Without her, who knew where this path was leading… with his Mom’s words ringing in his ears, he now knew he didn’t want to find out.

Diary Entry – 28th April 2021

Jennifer has agreed to come round tomorrow to talk.

Gotta admit, I’m a little apprehensive but once she hears what I have to say I am certain that everything will be alright. 

I know I need to do a lot of apologizing, and hell if it means refusing to take part in the match with Dave then that’s what I will do. But I will put everything the way it should be. And I will stop putting this much worry on her shoulders.

Also, I got us a surprise.

All inclusive tickets to the Maldives… five-star accommodation, the works. After all it’s not like I can’t afford it now that the O-Cru sales has gone through. 

I still don’t like what SCW is doing, but that’s another story, something I will deal with. But if there is something all this has taught me, it’s that I cannot take Jennifer for granted. I cannot run headlong into situations and expect her to run in there with me, no matter the cost to her.

SHE’S my world, and it’s about time I reminded her of that :-)

29th April 2021 – Los Angeles

Owen sits on his sofa, watching the clock and feeling more and more nervous with every passing moment. The match with David Helms was only a few days away, however Owen had to admit right now he wasn’t even thinking about that. He’d gone over what he was going to say a thousand times, making sure that every word was perfect. He’d memorized it so that nothing could go wrong. But still, deep down he knew he was seriously up against it and that he’d backed Jennifer into a corner that there was only one way out of. He glances up at the clock against, she was now five minutes late, the thought crossing his mind that she wasn’t going to show. With some relief, he hears the door open, and their dog’s claws tapping on the laminate flooring. Buck see’s Owen and jumps on him, licking his face, but Owen is only looking towards the entrance to the living area, as Jennifer walks in, a flowing dress emphasizing her figure. 

Owen: Hey…

Jennifer: Hey

She leans over and kisses him on the cheek, but not with the same warmth as usual. Owen tells Buck to get down, and he obediently does, sniffing around the house for any new smells. Jennifer sits herself down and crosses her legs, turning to Owen.

Owen: It’s good to see you.

Jennifer: Yeah, I thought it was time to talk.

Owen: Definitely. Do you want a drink? Coffee, Juice… got some beers Finch left behind?

Jennifer: Coffee would be great… thanks.

Owen: Coming up

Owen heads into the kitchen and lets the dog out into the enclosed back garden. He then makes a coffee in double quick time, and grabs a beer from the fridge, eager to get back. As he passes Jennifer her coffee, he cannot help but notice her looking at the bottle in his hand.

Jennifer: Bit early don’t you think?

Owen: Yeah, probably. Call it Dutch courage.

Jennifer nods, taking a sip from her coffee. It was obvious that she was a little nervous too. 

Owen: So, how have you been?

Jennifer: Keeping busy, thinking things through.

Owen: Me too. 

They look at each other, a look that only a couple that truly cares about each other can give.

Owen: Look, Jen…

Jennifer: No Owen, let me go first. If I don’t say this now, I never will.

Owen seems a little taken aback, and he settles into the sofa, Jennifer sitting on the edge.

Jennifer: Owen, you know I love you, don’t you?

Owen: Of course, as I do you.

Jennifer: This time together has been the best, we’ve both helped each other so much. 

Owen: Yes, I…

Jennifer: Owen please, let me speak. Just listen.

Owen nods, even though he didn’t like the way this was going already.

Jennifer: When you asked me to move in with you, and go to the next level in our relationship, it was the best day of my life. I had found my soulmate, the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with… I was so happy.

Jennifer bites her lip, and gives the slightest sigh, whilst reaching out for Owen’s hand.

Jennifer: I’ve tried Owen, seriously I have. I’ve tried to separate what you are doing, from how I feel about you, but I can’t. I’ve tried to be there for you and to understand what you are going through. To support you, knowing that the moment you made this decision, life for us was going to be tough. I’ve even tried to ignore what is happening between you and Dad and what went off on Breakdown with Giovanni, but I can’t ignore it anymore.

Owen: Jen…

Jennifer: You might be able to throw friendships away Owen, but I can’t do the same. I get it Owen, I saw it happen with Aaron and I understand, truly I do. But I can’t be a part of it. I think we should split up Owen… and I think that you knew that once you started this, it was always going to be inevitable that we couldn’t carry on. I can’t watch you and Dad fight again… I just can’t.

She tries to take her hand away, but Owen grabs it, now holding hers in his. A single tear trickles down her cheek, Owen wiping it away with his free hand. Owen takes a deep breath, now Jennifer had laid her cards out, cards that Owen knew he would be dealt, it was time for him to show his hand.

Owen: Jen, I get you too. I know out of everyone, seeing me do this has been the tough for you to take. I tried Jen, I tried to remain respectful to Dave, but he slapped me around the face. He’s seen what happened with AJ, and now it’s happening to me, and yet I’m somehow in the wrong? AJ’s career was ruined by SCW, and I can’t let it happen to me too. You’ve seen people I care about turn their backs without a single thought of what I’m going through. Peyton, my best friend… wouldn’t even give me chance to explain. And I understand… I understand it’s all because it seems like I’m involved with Giovanni. But I’m not… I just see that the things he is saying are the truth.

Jennifer: I know but…

Owen: Let me speak Jen.

The tone in his voice shocks Jennifer a little, and she takes her hand away in annoyance.

Owen: It hurts… it hurts so bad that people are turning their backs on me, just because I have a different opinion to theirs. But that’s not true friendship… if they do that without a second thought, perhaps it was never friendship at all. I can deal with that though Jen, I can deal with anything that is thrown at me… anything. But I can’t deal with losing you as well. I’ll back off Dave, I’ll refuse to fight him at the PPV if you want and take the inevitable fine. I’ll do anything Jen, all you gotta do is name it. Anything but let people control me any longer… including Olek and SCW.

Jennifer: Anything?

Owen: Yes.

Jennifer: Apologize to all the people you have wronged. Shaun, Kelcey, Peyton and anyone else that you’ve turned your back on.

Owen lowers his head

Owen: THEY turned their backs on ME, I can’t do that.

Jennifer: These are people that love you Owen, more than it seems you realize.

Owen: These people threw me under a bus.

Jennifer: So, you won’t apologize not even for me?

Owen: Jen, I can’t.

Jennifer: Not even knowing that I’m about to walk through that door and never come back.

Owen: I’m sorry…

Jennifer looks away, and wipes her eyes, before letting out the deepest of sighs and getting to her feet, Owen still unable to look at her.

Jennifer: Then there is nothing more to say. I’ll fetch the rest of my things next week. 

Buck walks back into the house, and immediately senses something is wrong, and lays down on his bed. Jennifer turns to leave, but Owen jumps up, grabbing her hand.

Owen: Wait…

Jennifer turns around, Owen getting down to one knee still holding her hand. A look of pure shock forms on Jennifer’s face, as Owen composes himself.

Jennifer: Owen…

Owen: Jennifer Helms, I love you… Will you marry me?

Owen hadn’t planned to do this, this was a desperation move, knowing that all was almost lost. A last throw of the dice. For a moment, Jennifer just stands there, her hand over her mouth not sure what to say. She pauses, then takes her hand away from Owen’s.

Jennifer: I can’t

Owen: Jen?

Jennifer: You’re asking me for totally the wrong reasons.

Owen: The wrong reasons… I love you.

Jennifer: And I love you, but this cannot work Owen. It just can’t. I’m sorry. Buck!!

Buck gets to his feet and follows Jennifer, and for a moment Owen just stands there in disbelief. Hearing the door shut, he runs through the house and opens it, Jennifer just walking up the driveway, Buck dutifully following.

Owen: Fine, fucking leave

Jennifer: Owen… please don’t do this.

Owen: No go… turn your back on me like everyone else. See if I care.

Jennifer opens her mouth to say something but knows she will only make Owen even more angry so she carries on away from the house.

Owen: You can all go to hell… I DON’T NEED YOU!!!

He steps back into the house, slamming the door, not seeing Jennifer looking back with tears streaming down her face. He storms back into the living area and picks up the bottle of beer and throws it, the glass shattering against the wall. He then takes the tickets to the Maldives out of his back pocket and in a rage rips them to pieces, throwing them to the floor in totally disgust, before sitting himself back on the sofa, his shoulders rising and falling, anger surging through his body as he holds his head in his hands, squeezing at his hair. 

Owen: FUCK!!!

Slowly, his breathing becomes less erratic. He lifts his head, his eyes narrowed, the anger still evident. 

Owen: I guess you all give me no choice.

1st May 2021 - Pittsburgh

Owen sits in a SCW recording booth, on a single chair, his hands steepled in front of his face. He wears the new Owen Cruze merchandise, the ‘My life, my rules’ caption emblazoned over the front, a pair of jeans and Nike trainers completing the ensemble. Behind the camera, the guy operating it gives his signal that he is recording, but Owen’s gaze remains to the right of the lens, as he apparently remains deep in thought. The operator signals again, in case Owen missed it, but Owen just holds up the palm of his hand, and then puts a single finger in the air, just asking for a second. Then, finally, he turns his gaze to the camera, his eyes burning with an intensity that we haven’t seen before. The eyes of someone that although in this moment not everyone knew it, were the eyes of someone who no longer had anything to lose. A sneer forms on his face, and he starts to speak, his voice almost crackling with emotion.

“You know, it’s at times like these that you find out for real who your true friends actually are, and yeah, the family that you can actually count on. Honestly, you would think I’d gone out and murdered Bob DeNiro or some other national treasure the way I’ve been treated over the past few weeks. People I trusted, people I loved have turned their backs on me without a single second of thought. I have people crossing the street so that they don’t have to look at me or engage in conversation that previously it was I trying to avoid. Every other email, or DM I now get is a message filled with bile and hate… and some shitty grammar might I add. And why? The crime for which I am apparently being punished from all corners?”

He straightens out his tee shirt so that the caption is more visible.

“Because I realize that this is MY life, and that I can live it by MY rules. DAAAAMNNNN, what an asshole I must be. To think that I don’t want to be controlled. And, have my own opinions. To believe that the only way that I could be heard, was to change. Three months ago, I was just another doormat, being taken advantage of by the company I would have defended till my last breath. And now because I see the shit that going on. Now because I see that most people on the roster served for one purpose, so that the favorites can thrive… I’M the bad guy? Fuck off, seriously… fuck right off. My eyes are open, and I see you all clearly now, as clearly as I ever have. I’m not the bad guy, not in the slightest. The assholes of my story are the ones who even after everything I have done for them, and the sacrifices that I have made… FOR THEM, they won’t answer my texts, or even give me the opportunity to explain to them personally why I HAD to do this for my own sanity. No, they would rather focus on one thing and one thing alone, someone who other than opening my eyes, is not some fucking mentor to me, nor am I part of his Wonderland. The Lizard Kool-Aid is well and truly still in the refrigerator. For all his quirks however, there is one undeniable truth. That being that Giovanni is RIGHT… Supreme Championship Wrestling IS on its ass, and on a path to only destruction. You only must see the big boss, Olek D. rolling back into town to understand that even the big chief has seen it, though even on his return, NOTHING will change. And that’s why in truth, all I can do is laugh as he makes promise after promise, you people who really should know better, knowing that not of those promises will be realized except for the chosen few. Those under his wing. Everyone else will continue to be shit on from a great height, and the worst part, they will take it like the blind sheep that they are, living off the occasional scrap of a main event, or a contendership match to keep them sweet. And you wonder why it upsets me, when I see something that I loved so much being treated this way and be about nothing but the almighty dollar. I doubt I can change that but I CAN try. At the end of the day Olek and the board hold the power, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that part about the situation. What I can definitely do however is play their game… but play it better, and see where that takes me. But you already know that don’t you Dave? You know the situation probably even better than I do; you just don’t have the balls to say just who’s fault the SCW’s current situation is.”

Owen shifts in his seat ever so slightly, and lifts strands of hair from in front of his face, but his eyes never leave the camera, and he keeps our attention. And with a grin he continues.

“After all, what was it you said Dave? Oh yes I remember… you ‘honestly don’t recognize this fucking place anymore’.”

Owen raises his hands and applauds sarcastically.

“Well said Sir, me neither.”

Rolling his eyes, he brings his hands down.

“See, I listened to you with great interest when you spoke a couple of weeks back. I even nodded, agreeing with your points that let’s face it, are not that far removed from mine. I heard as you spoke about all the bullshit going on, and how you used to be able to see through it. I listened as you spoke of the ‘anchor’ that kept you grounded so that you could see all the ‘Good’ that was buried beneath. And therein you hit the nail on the head, so perfectly I could only admire. As you spoke of said ‘Good’ you answered your own question and should have realized when I had no choice but to change tact. Simply put Dave, it doesn’t matter where you look, how deep you dig, or how far you go, there is NO good. It’s gone. There are NO heroes, because those that maintain they are heroic, are just as disrespectful, sarcastic and damning as all the rest. Selena Frost for example, the ‘FACE’ of SCW, our resident Ice Princess, tell me the last time she sounded respectful bro? And you… fucking you… the pariah of all that is ‘Good’… where the fuck did you get off slapping me around the face? What happened to the stiff upper lip and doing what’s right huh? I tell you what happened, the SCW squeezes every morsel out of all of us, only I’m not still trying to still be one of the…”

He does the quotation sign with his hands.

“Good guys. Because Good guys in this business are now nothing more than a myth. And it’s funny you should use the analogy of the Titanic Dave because that is precisely what SCW is right now. A sinking ship. But I’m not the Iceberg that brought it down by changing tact, and neither is Giovanni. It’s those that accepted the favors of this company and allowed themselves to be used… and that’s me included I guess. It’s like you say Dave, what did happen to the company that some of us loved? Past tense Dave… I’d say you make my point perfect right there. You LOVED it Dave, but you don’t anymore. And I get that, I understand. The different is, I refuse to ignore it like it seems you are. I didn’t give up the fight Dave, I just realized that some things just ain’t worth fighting for any longer, and when all is said and done, when SCW does hit the seabed, I need to be able to exist without it. Tell me Dave, if SCW closed its doors tomorrow, could you exist? I don’t think so, otherwise you wouldn’t have had as many comebacks as Mike Tyson. You’re a part of the fabric of this cesspool, and so therefore a part of the problem. And truth be told Dave, you ain’t a ‘good guy’ either. Because last time I looked, the heroes of the peace don’t use people’s personal lives to make themselves look good. And it’s all well and good saying that you ain’t going to put our personal lives all over the internet THIS time, let’s face it, you didn’t have a problem last time did you?”

Owen’s eyes slightly narrow, and for a moment it looks like he may lose his cool. But recognizing this is takes just a moment, looking down towards the floor as he composes himself. Finally, he brings his eyes back to the camera, and with a deep breath he continues.

“So, even after the attempt at redemption, I must ask you Dave, where do you get off huh? Using your own daughter to make a point? How sanctimonious can someone be, to use his own flesh and blood as a crux? What does it matter who you want dating Jennifer? You make it sound like it was ever your choice? We both knew that Jennifer was struggling with this, and thus I kept her out of it and showed you, and her nothing but respect, and yet there you were, sticking your oar into our relationship and putting thoughts in her head, turning our match at Breakdown into an episode of Family Feuds, just like SCW wanted us to do. Why wasn’t I perfect boyfriend material Dave? Because I didn’t have an opinion you agreed with, so fucking what? Did I cheat on her? Did I abuse her? Did I in anyway use her? NO. I treated her like a princess, just like I promised I always would. Wasn’t that what was important to you? Oh, and guess what Dave, Jennifer knew exactly what I was planning, and yes, she did try and talk me out of it, but she decided that she would support me. I see now, right there when you used her, when you put her front and center, that was when you gave her no choice. I was always going to lose her wasn’t I Dave, and perhaps that was your intention all along? You call Giovanni a manipulator, apparently manipulating me into my recent actions, how’s about you do ME a favor, look in that nearest mirror you directed me to, and then try to persuade me that you weren’t doing the same. Manipulating a situation where Jennifer had no choice but to cut off our relationship, all because you could see where I was ‘headed’. Oh, I know you and others will claim that to be all my fault, but I wasn’t the one out here putting so much pressure on her, was I? So, congrats Dave, and least on that score you scored a point. Bravo. But then again Dave, I wonder what your students think at your new wrestling school, those that you have no doubt told the exact things you told me at Ante Up. Never let the personal, interfere with the professional, wasn’t that what you told me, and probably tell them? Well, now because of you, a perfectly good relationship is in the shitter. Cracking example to the future of our industry bro. They must be so, so proud.”

Owen puffs out his cheeks, indignant as to the fact he was having to explain all of this to someone who at the very least should have given him the benefit of the doubt. A bit like others he could mention.

“But that’s not the worst part Dave, I mean using Jen was a shitty move, but then you went on, quite predictably I might add, to use my Dad to prove your points. Err hold on, isn’t that what Giovanni did? Maybe you’re more like your cousin that you let on. But anyway, you’ve obviously forgotten my Dad’s and Shaun’s history, because I assure you that they did far worse to each other than ONE kick to the Generals. And if I’ve got my facts, I’m pretty sure that one of their ‘situations’ came about for THE same reasons I punted Shaun in the balls… only instead Shaun reacted far, far worse than I did. And another thing, WOULD Dad be ashamed of me? Would he…really? Or would he applaud me for finally standing up for myself and being my own man? You don’t know. I don’t know. The one thing about my Dad was he was unpredictable, so I can only assume that saying he would be ashamed of me was just another reason for you to try and insinuate that I’m in the wrong here. That Giovanni has in some way brainwashed me, and these are not my own thoughts. That I’ve in some way become the ‘Prince of the Wonderland’ and I’m the new heir to the throne. Let me make it clear Dave A) it wasn’t an attack on Shaun, it was a request… a request to leave me the fuck alone. B) I’m not siding with Gio, I’m agreeing with him which is two entirely different things. And C) You asked what Owen Cruze of twelve months ago to say to this current evolution, and honestly, we all know the answer to that, coz he was a weak son of a bitch. But I’m more interested in what I would say to HIM. 

You wanna know? 

I’d tell him to stop being so fucking naïve. Grow a set and stand up for yourself… refuse to be ignored. I’d say enthusiasm, Work Ethic and Determination won’t get you anything but used, abused, and then cast aside when no longer wanted. Sound familiar Dave, it should… because that’s exactly what happened to AJ. And yeah, what was happening to Jen in EMERGE, a company YOU part owned. Yeah, I want a reputation like my Dad’s, who wouldn’t? But a reputation like Shaun’s? Please. You all think he’s a gobshite and take the piss out of his achievements any chance you get, great friends you lot are. You want to know why it all changed, right there is another reason for you, in black and white. I was turning into him. Whereby everything I said was treated like a big joke. But who’s joking now huh? It's all gotten pretty serious now isn’t it? Or at least that is the way you and others seem obsessed with making it. 

Because in the grand scheme of things, what I did… it really isn’t that big a deal. It’s only a big deal because of what people like you EXPECT me to be. The way that you have tried to mold me, into this fighter for freedom and justice, and the American way. America… fuck yeah. So many times, I’ve been built up as Captain America, expected to say the right thing, do the right thing and put myself in the firing line. Be the good ‘Kid’ right? Why? You ain’t perfect Dave. Shaun ain’t perfect. And my Dad, he certainly wasn’t perfect, so why the hell do I have to be? Why can’t I kick someone in the bollocks if I don’t like what’s going on? Why can’t I have a different opinion to the majority? Because my last name is Cruze? Truth is, with my last name and its history, what I am doing right now is absolutely NO surprise. You think Shaun didn’t deserve what he got? You think I went too far to make my statement? Not a chance, I don’t think I went far enough.”

His eyes narrow as he shifts once again uncomfortably on his seat.

“And that Dave, is what brought us here, an inevitable scenario, brought about by a singular action. Well, two actions, the kick heard around the world, and our non-event at Breakdown, which yeah, I kinda manipulated the system in. Henceforth our match at Be Careful What to Wish for, a prime example of ‘MO ‘money’ coming into play. No point beating David Helms on a Breakdown, where’s the money in that right SCW? Nobody cares about Family Feuds on a standard show, but on a PPV, in front of the eyes of the world… that’s bank right there. PPV’s is where you make your statement, that’s where the money be at. And if I’d have beaten you on Breakdown, this match wouldn’t be happening. In fact, your defeat would probably already be forgotten. But beat Big Match Dave in his element, that’s something that no one can ignore. And I can imagine, having heard your condescending tone last time out, that right now you’re saying, ‘OK then Kid, how you gonna do that?’ And it’s a good question, after all this is David Helms we are talking about, who always seems to find another gear when it is needed. And the first thing I’d say to that is, this time I’m going to be trying to win, instead of merely going through the motions towards the inevitable rematch that was always going to be signed for this PPV. I mean, I’m not saying SCW is predictable, but… yeah, it’s predictable what they were going to do. Secondly, I don’t have to worry about you being Jen’s Dad, or what impression I’m going to give, I can just go out there and do my thing, a thing that not many do better than I do. Thirdly, I accept, this is your domain, your kinda PPV, and that sounds like it might give you the edge… but it’s the first match I’ve been excited about in since forever, it’s a match that matters, and that makes me more determined than ever to win and make my statement and made to give my best. And finally, Dave, I’m your worst nightmare. Time has passed hasn’t it, and you can’t handle someone with the sheer speed of thought that I have anymore. Quicker than most on this roster, but certainly quicker than you. Oh, you have all the technical ability in the world Dave, all the ring smarts and experience that a Vet like you should have, but you know full well, you can’t beat, that which you can’t catch. And Dave, this Sunday, you won’t catch me. I’m going to make sure it’s over before you even get the chance.”

Owen visibly scoffs towards the camera, scorn in his voice as he says that sentence.

“And then what Dave… if you fail, what comes next? In fact, even if you win… what then? When you see that this isn’t some stupid phase, or that Giovanni isn’t behind every word that I speak, will you then carry out the threats you made towards me, in yet another example that, you are no different to me? You don’t have to worry about me being Jen’s boyfriend, so you can let loose, are you gonna want to knock some sense into me? You gonna be desperate to give me this lesson you threatened me with before, so, what you going to do huh? Put me the naughty step for 21 minutes? Yes SCW commentary team, do your homework. I’m 21… not 22. Are you going to tell my Mom, both of them… what a ‘bad lad’ I’ve been, and that they need to discipline me? OR are you going to continue using people like pawns, even the dead that you supposedly respect, to shame me into apologizing for my actions… and perhaps come out to the ring and grovel for forgiveness that I remember a certain someone doing way back when. No, the way you made it sound is that you, and everyone else still standing up for the ‘SCW’ way is going to be coming after me, to DEAL with me? Well, let them come. I ain’t hiding, and if I’ve got people’s attention, then about fucking time. See, the work ethic, the enthusiasm and determination hasn’t changed Dave, the difference is I’m banging to a different drum. You truly think I’ve turned my back on things and given up? NOPE, wrong again, I’m still going to save Supreme Championship Wrestling, but now I know who the true enemy is, and the reason why you and I don’t recognize it anymore. The enemy is the D. family, the Lizard Kingdom…”

He chuckles to himself.

“And they WILL be stopped, one way or another. I promise you. By playing THEIR game against them. And it starts by beating the shiny symbol of all that is wrong in Supreme Championship Wrestling. The symbol for hypocrisy. It all starts Dave, by beating YOU. With the eyes of the whole wrestling WORLD watching. And you may think it doesn’t matter, but it does… more than you fucking realize bro.”

Owen exhales deeply, adrenaline surging through his veins. 

“Dave, I thank you… for all you every did that brought me to this point. Through Dad dying, and you becoming a shoulder… all the way through Ante Up, and my success here in SCW. Seriously, thank you for being what I needed THEN…

Owen narrows his eyes

“But you can let go now, I've outgrown you and I’ll take it from here. 

I’m twenty-one years old, and I have the wrestling world at my feet. 

I have a clarity that was missing, and like never before I feel ALIVE. 

None of the ‘Born to Do’ or ‘Legends never die’ bullshit, this is the dawning of a NEW legend. MY legend. With no more wanting to be the next ‘Icon’, no more need to be an ‘Impact Player’. No longer a follower, but a leader. And people won’t like it. YOU don’t like it. But you will ALL have to get used to it.”

He laughs

“YOU wanted this Dave. YOU wanted me to be my own man. SHAUN, you wanted this, you wanted me to grow up and take responsibility. DAD, you wanted this, to not be destroyed by the business in the way you were. SCW, you wanted this, you demanded this… the future of this industry, right here, right now.”

The camera pans in, so just his head and shoulders are on screen

“Be Careful What You Wish For people, because you might not like what happens next.”

Owen gets to his feet, the camera panning out, before holding his hand to the side, as if dropping a mic

“BOOM”

Owen shakes his head whilst chuckling to himself, before then saluting the camera and then stepping out of shot as the scene fades. 
[Image: 270041540-258425806375597-7033161467703002046-n.png]