Is there such a thing as a heel anymore?
While I've been thinking about the future of my characters I've come to ask myself a simple question: in today's age, is there such a thing as a "good guy" and a "bad guy" anymore? Does "heel" and "face" really apply in today's world?

Let's look at an example: Eddie Guerrero's WWE Title Run

How would you describe that version of Eddie Guerrero? He lied to people all the time, including referees. He'd do whatever it took to win, including hitting opponents with concealed weapons, or outright smashing them with foreign objects. He'd even trick people into getting disqualified or caught by the referee "red handed" with an object they didn't even use. This is the behavior of a heel. However, he did it all in a comedic way, and he focused all his antics against people that the crowd hated. Therefore, in spite of the fact that he was a terrible cheat, he was actually a babyface...

Let's look at another example: Triple H during the reign of terror

For the most part, Triple H was an honorable guy. I know there are exceptions when there was outside interference, but for the most part Triple H lived by a moral code. He'd beat people in the middle of the ring using underhanded tactics, but every match wouldn't devolve into outside interference spots galore in order for him to win. He also wouldn't run away from every fight. He didn't have ALL the characteristics of a typical heel, but he was most definitely a heel. The sledgehammer shots also didn't help with that. Contrast that to, say, Kenny Omega today, and Kenny constantly has Don and the Good Brothers interfering whenever he's slightly in trouble. I would argue he's more of a heel today than Triple H was in the reign of terror... in spite of the fact that we all like Kenny Omega and hated Triple H.

Now they're two examples I pulled out because everyone remembers them and knows them. They're not necessarily the BEST examples I could have chosen to demonstrate this point.

Therefore, I don't think saying "heel" really works anymore. And I've NEVER liked people who say they're "neutral", because to me neutral has always just meant "not over". If you're "neutral" then there's an argument to be made that that means nobody cares enough about you to consider you good or bad, and you'd struggle to get bookings if nobody gave a fuck about you.

What's the solution?

Well, it's funny you should ask: The Dungeons & Dragons alignments give a perfect answer to this problem. Now you don't need to be "face", you could be "Lawful Good". You don't need to be "heel", you could be "Chaotic Evil". You could also be "Neutral Evil" or "Lawful Evil" as well, giving a far wider range of possibilities for your character than just "heel".

For those of you unaware, let's run through the options double quick:

Good:
A common misconception of "Good" on the D&D scale is that good doesn't mean "ultimate babyface, loves the red, white and blue". Good, rather, means "pro-social". A good person is someone who'll actively strive toward altruism, benevolence etc. They are the people who'll help a stranger up on the street rather than just walk past them, or help someone in need because that person is in need.

Evil:
A common misconception of "Evil" on the D&D scale is that evil doesn't mean "Foreigner who hates America". Rather, bad means "anti-social". This does NOT mean walking past someone on the street who needs your help, however. It means actively working against that person on the street. It means someone who endorses torture. Someone who seeks vengeance above all else (rather than acting in self-defense). Someone who actively works against good people.

Neutral:
So then, what's neutral? Well, neutral is someone who'll trend toward good, but not go the extra mile. The fact is MOST babyfaces in the world of professional wrestling are neutral. They prefer the side of good, but they won't actively fight for good. Rather, they're more concerned with themselves and their own ambitions.

Then there's the other half of this equation...

Lawful:
Another misconception is that "Lawful" means "obeys the law". This is not true. Lawful means obeying a set of rules/laws that apply to that individual. If you're lawful then you have a moral code - that moral code doesn't necessarily have to mesh with society's moral code, however. 

Chaotic:
This one is harder to define, because this does not mean "breaking the law". This means having no set of laws that you obey, which can also extend to actively working against someone else's set of laws. Chaotic characters would "lie", "cheat" and "steal" with a clear conscience because it's how they believe they should live their lives.

Neutral:
Here we have that goddamn neutral again. In this example, a neutral person would not care about either extreme condition. Someone who is out for themselves and neither has a moral compass nor is actively against having one. If the only power you believe in is your own, you could well be neutral.

When you combine these, you get nine possibilities of characters that I think are WAY more interesting than the stand "heel" and "face" roles. Let's work through some examples...

Lawful Good:
A Lawful Good character is someone who believes in a set of rules (whether self-imposed or imposed upon them by a higher power or society) and who goes out of their way to be a good person. This does not mean a boring individual who's always obeying the law. It could mean someone like Daniel Bryan, fighting for what's right inside the system. But it could also mean trying to tear down an evil system to replace it with a Lawful Good one. In professional wrestling, a Lawful Good person would be a babyface who comes to the aid of those in need, rather than pursuing their own agenda.

Neutral Good:
A Neutral Good position is actually far more complicated than it appears, and I would argue MOST people are Neutral Good. This could mean promoting your own agenda and working to find others who'll do the same thing, as long as that agenda is about helping others and being a good person. In professional wrestling, a Neutral Good person would be a babyface who puts in the work, but doesn't necessarily believe in the system they're working inside of. They're people who'll trend toward helping others whenever appropriate, but who won't necessarily rush to the aid of the owners plans.

Chaotic Good:
This is the one everyone thinks they want to be, but in actuality I disagree. They are people who'll fight for good no matter what the system around them is telling them. They are freedom fighters (who could easily be seen by others as terrorists). They are people who want the same for everyone, so much that they may support the ideals of communism. In professional wrestling, this is NOT Eddie Guerrero, because Eddie was not actively seeking good but rather actively seeking his own gains. This would be a person who fights against evil and fights for good, but does so in a way that could be considered bad. In professional wrestling this group could easily be heel as they could be babyface, because they don't believe in the laws that govern them and work against those laws.

Lawful Neutral:
This is possibly the most interesting group of people. These are people who believe in the law, but don't necessarily believe in being Good. They'll trend toward Good, but never actually be Good. An honest politician would be Lawful Neutral, in that they believe in the Law but they also believe that they are the way to go about achieving that. In theory, every Judge in the world should be Lawful Neutral, applying the law without considering the person who's in front of them. Is there an example of this type of person in professional wrestling? I suppose an authority figure who cares more about enforcing the rules than they do care about who they're enforcing them on.

True Neutral:
If you don't really care about the laws, but obey them because it's not worth breaking them, then you may be True Neutral. If you're willing to break the laws to get what you want, but still consider yourself a good person, you're probably also True Neutral. This applies to way too many people in professional wrestling. Those out for themselves and not caring how they go about getting what they want.

Chaotic Neutral:
These are people who embrace the Chaotic side, but also the Neutral side. They are good people who's actions don't always fit inside the law. They are people who value their own freedoms above anything that which society would tell them is the right thing to do. In professional wrestling, they are neither heel nor babyface. They are also more than likely the group that'll never "get over", because they don't particularly fight for Good or Evil, but rather just do their own thing outside of "The System".

Lawful Evil:
To be Lawful and Evil would mean seeking power for the sake of power. Seeking power to laud it over others. Seeking power but not caring what horrible things you've got to do to get it, nor caring about who you hurt along the way. In professional wrestling, someone who wants to win the World Heavyweight Championship and who'll willingly cripple others to get it is most likely Lawful Evil, because they believe in the system and want to reach the top of it no matter what.

Neutral Evil:
These are people who put their own concerns above anyone else. They are people who care more about making money than obeying the law, and definitely don't care about helping others (unless it somehow furthers their own agenda). They don't care about the system or the people in it, they care about themselves and what they want. In professional wrestling, Neutral Evil people would not care about winning the World Championship so much as they would care about making money or doing what they want to do. They would actively fight against Good people, but not care if that person is for or against "The System", and have no moral code to speak of.

Chaotic Evil:
Chaotic Evil people, at it's extremes, are serial killers. They are people who are evil for the fun of being evil. At lesser extremes, they might be nice to their friends but they'll screw over and/or kill people they don't like just for looking at them funny. They are the people who do whatever they want without caring who it affects, even if what they want to do is absolutely wrong. They are also people who'll tear down "The System" in the worst possible ways. In professional wrestling, "The Fiend" would either fit into this category or the previous one. In professional wrestling, these people don't care about championships or money. They care about evil for the sake of evil, and because it's fun.

Disagree with any of the above? Let me know.

I'm not saying we should use this system to define our alignments... but I do think it opens up fun possibilities. Where would you put YOUR character(s) on that list? Has it made you rethink what is heel and what is babyface in today's world? More than that, has it made you think about this in the way I currently am... in the sense that could Lawful Good and Lawful Evil people get along? Would a Lawful Good and Chaotic Good person be friends or enemies?
[Image: syren2021.png]
Funny thing is, if you check out the bio for Kimberly Williams, I have her listed as Chaotic Neutral lol

I did that for the reasons you laid out. Kim is in no way a traditional face. I picture fans cheering her but that’s primarily because she’s tormenting the heels/people the fans hate. Kim literally stabbed Gio. That’s not the action of a face. She stapled Abigail Lindsay’s head. Again, not the action of a good girl.

One fed I was in actually had a rating system for their alignment. 1-10. 1 being the most diabolical and evil of heels and 10 being the most upright and moral of babyface. Even that has its flaws I’m sure but it’s an interesting approach.
[Image: qyA5u6K.png]
SCW World Champion 1x
SCW United States Champion 1x
SCW Adrenaline Champion 1x
SCW Television Champion 1x
SCW World Tag Team Champion 1x (w/Brittany Lohan)
Supreme Champion
2019 Trios Tournament Winner (w/ Regan Street & Kellen Jeffries)
2020 Trios Tournament Winner (w/ Ace Marshall & David Helms)
Oh and as a follow up: Based on the above definitions...Glory is tough to define but I’d say more likely Neutral Good. She has a clear moral compass and belief in what she thinks is right and wrong, but she doesn’t blindly accept that the system is always just and good. Sometimes that will lead her to challenge the system. So yes, Neutral Good.

Jessica Lasiewicz would be Chaotic Good.
[Image: qyA5u6K.png]
SCW World Champion 1x
SCW United States Champion 1x
SCW Adrenaline Champion 1x
SCW Television Champion 1x
SCW World Tag Team Champion 1x (w/Brittany Lohan)
Supreme Champion
2019 Trios Tournament Winner (w/ Regan Street & Kellen Jeffries)
2020 Trios Tournament Winner (w/ Ace Marshall & David Helms)
(06-02-2021, 09:11 AM)Syren Wrote: While I've been thinking about the future of my characters I've come to ask myself a simple question: in today's age, is there such a thing as a "good guy" and a "bad guy" anymore? Does "heel" and "face" really apply in today's world?

I have asked myself this same question from time to time. It is fair to say a lot of us grew up watching wrestling in the late 80's, early 90s when faces and heels were a bit more defined. The Attitude Era introduced us to shades of gray. Over the past decade, maybe the past five years ago its hard to tell what is a "face" and "heel" anymore. Some people do play is straight with letting you know there is no grey era. For the most part I do see characters as characters. Someone has their goals, motives, and means of going about things. I joke around with people that SCW has become Game of Thrones, at times, I don't exactly know who to cheer for. They are just characters doing what they are designed to do.

I do feel the D & D model makes things similar. Makes things more realistic as opposed to saying a character is face or heel, what does those terms even mean anymore. Face is a good guy, heel is a bad guy, then it comes down to us agreeing to what a good or bad guy is. Some examples are obvious. The grey area comes into play. D & D alignment scale you know this person is chaotic good, neutral, whatever. There's the box.
*Roll a D20* Sorry guys, you failed the check.
[Image: scwforumbannerforadam.png]

Record:
67-53-5

-14th SCW Supreme Champion in SCW History
-SCW Adrenaline Champion (10/19/23 - ??/??/??, ?? Days, 0 Successful Defenses)
-SCW World Champion (07/31/22 - 09/08/22, 39 Days, 0 Successful Defenses, Let's Not Talk About It....)
- 2022 Taking Hold of the Flame Battle Royal Winner
- 2022 SCW Co-Male Wrestler of the Year (shared with that ungrateful asshole...)
- 2022 SCW Shocking Moment of the Year (because aforementioned asshole punked me...)
- 2022 SCW Return of the Year (because I came back from death to win it all..)
-2009 SCW Top Stable of the Year (Greaternity)
-2009 Feud of the Year (Infection vs. Greaternity vs. CHBK/Greg Cherry/David Miller/Asher Hayes)
- SCW United States Championship (10/28/21-02/20/2013, 115 days, 3 Successful Defenses, Unbeaten)
- SCW Televison Championship (03/09/2021-04/22/2021, 49 Days, 3 Succesful Defenses)
- SCW Tag Team Championship (05/02/2021-06/13/2021, Days, 0 Successful Defenses)

What would the village idiot fall under?

I'm that, in character and out.
[Image: ASrTaiG.jpeg]
I'll also add that we're in a unique position in e-fedding. We have the characters on the show, but then we get a view of them behind the scenes, and that's where a standard heel/face alignment scale kind of struggles. I've read heel characters who literally kiss and coddle babies and donate to churches in their free time, while I've read face characters that are unlikable assholes who would probably be booed in real life.

In that case, something like the D&D system works pretty well because our stuff runs a bit deeper than just two hours of television a week.
[Image: ASrTaiG.jpeg]
I get what you mean, Cid. There have been heels where I read their CDs and think, I'm supposed to hate this person? Conflicts with their on screen persona. CDs can blur that line. The camera is on, "Look at me I'm a douche;" but behind the camera you see that they are not as evil as they portray.
I feel talked about.
[Image: Bree2022.png]

SCW: 87 - 48 - 8 || Career 97 - 60 - 9
>>>>>*<<<<<
SCW Television Champion
1X SCW Adrenaline Champion
2X SCW World Champion
3X SCW United States Champion
2X SCW Tag Team Champion

(1X W/ Blake Mason; 1X W/ Scott Burnside Andrew Raynes)
1X SCW Women's Champion
-----
Supreme Champion
2020 Female of the Year
2016 Star of Tomorrow
Only 2X VWA Evolution Champion

=====
~~ Amy Chastaine ~~
SCW: 63 - 30 - 6 || Career: 120 - 75 - 15

1X SCW Tag Team Champion - W/ Kennedy Street [B.A.E.]
1X SCW Adrenaline Champion | 1X SCW United States Champion
1X SCW Television Champion | 1X SCW World Champion
SCW Hall of Fame Class of 2020
Supreme Champion * First Female * Fastest Time
2017 Female of the Year | 2017 Shot of Adrenaline Winner
2015 Star of Tomorrow | 2015 Rookie of the Year
Final VWA World Champion

=====
Total (All Characters):
323/226/35

http://www.hardygirl.net/
being heel is easier then face. Well being a good face that isnt a piece of crap that acts heel. i dont know show shit about whats going on.
----

Writer of Dillusion, David Helms, Katelyn Buehler, Kordy and Bianca Evans