Jake Starr vs. James Exeter
3 RP Limit for singles

Deadline: 11:59:59 pm ET Saturday, July 24, 2021
[Image: MKl96W9.png]

[Image: bcywcYD.jpg]
I love AJ Allmendinger.
For over a decade the world has watched Jake Starr embody everything that is Supreme Championship Wrestling. But after recent failures, the world has not seen or heard from the former World Champion. Instead of trying to "regroup," or prepare for a comeback, Jake Starr has been engaged in something he has rarely done over the entirety of his professional wrestling career.

He's simply been relaxing.

For almost a year Jake Starr has decided to be out of the limelight. It is something that all of his friends have noticed. They've wondered how long his sabatacle would last before he finally got that itch again. They know Jake well enough to know that he can never leave "well enough" alone. He always wants more, and always feels the need to try and climb the ladder one more time. They feel the time is coming because after all of the time alone, and all of the ignoring of SCW, and professional wrestling in general, he took an unexpected trip on Eric "Agent oo6" Rommel's personal jet to somewhere he wouldn't divulge.

To everyone, this meant it was time to get ready for Jake to go back on the road.

Upon coming home, everyone saw him come home with a new sense of relief and happiness to him. Again, nobody knows what the deal is. They don't know what brought the pep in his step. It's almost like Jake was guaranteed or given something that he's been wanting, and he is excited about it. He didn't utter any words, but simply told everyone it was a business trip, and it was productive. For the next several days, he went back to acting like he had been for the past almost year. The trip, at first, stuck in everyone's mind for a few days after he came back. The strange thing was him going back to acting as if nothing was going on. They waited a few days and still there was nothing, so the realization that maybe, just maybe, Jake was being true was, in fact, true. They all began to slowly forget about it, until one day, Jake disappeared again, this time without letting anyone know where he was going, or when he'd be back.

This was their cue...

Get the televisions ready to record the "big return."

That same day, however, they didn't get to see a big return, but a mass, group, text message was sent out to Shawn Wright, Brandon Evans, Jake's parents who were in town, and Jake's long time friend, Bane. It simply said, "My gym, 7PM, it's time." Everyone chuckled. This was Jake's big reveal that he was ready to go again, and ready to show them the new "fired up" version of himself. It's similar to how he has done it in the past. His gym has always been his "safe space." It's been the place where he could always stay in shape, and because of where the wrestling ring is setup, he could do so without disruptions. Unbeknownst to them, though, Jake had sent a second text to two other individuals, also asking them to be there.

As 7PM rolls around, the main group arrives, and is surprised to also see Jake's therapist, Dr. Collier, getting out of his vehicle. This wasn't something Jake had ever done in the past. He had never brought his therapist out to make the "big announcement" of his return. This made some in the group feel uncomfortable, and others more curious than anything. As they reach the door, it's open, with a sign saying "come to the ring" on the outside. Everyone kind of looks at one another, and make their way to the back room and enter the private workout area. The room is pitch black. They look around, with the only light coming from the cracks in the door. Roeper finally decides to call out.

Roeper Hart: Jake? Jake, you here?

The call echoes in the room, but out of nowhere one spotlight illuminates toward the wall, showing a framed set of wrestling gear from Jake's original run in the OWF, with his HHH trunks, and OWF World Championship. From there, spotlights begin to slowly come on, one by one, illuminating all of the personas Jake has embodied in his career. Bobby Denton, "Grand Admiral" Thrawn, Justin Halesz, names that made Jake synonymous with various organization display his ring gear, his titles he has won, and pictures of him in each of the various gimmick during that point in his career. After the final one illuminates, there is still silence, when out of nowhere one more lights up with the name "Jake Starr" above it, and everyone notices the frame empty, but with Jake standing in front of it.

Jake Starr: ... Sup?

Jake slowly begins to walk toward the crowd, and the lights for the area of the gym begin to warm up and illuminate the entire area. As he gets to the group, he hops up on the edge of the ring he practices in, and takes a deep breath. He looks down, swallows a gulp of saliva before looking up at all of his friends and family looking back at him.

Jake Starr: ... Well... Here we are...

Brandon's sarcasm comes out in full.

Brandon Evans: Umm... As usual?

Jake chuckles.

Jake Starr: Yes... Yes... As usual. And I'm assuming everyone thinks they know why they're here...

This time, everyone's sarcasm chimes in.

Bane (AKA Jude): YOU'RE PREGNANT!

Denise Starr: ROEPER'S PREGNANT!

Brandon Evans: YOU'RE TRANSITIONING!

Shawn Wright: YOU'VE FINALLY GOT AIDS!

Jake looks at Shawn and just shrugs, as if saying, "where did that come from?"

Shawn Wright: Well you're making a production out of it, so I figured, it was a big deal... Hell Brandon was in the same boat!

Brandon Evans: AS AIDS?! I THINK NOT! I was just considering he was celebrating PRIDE Month, not dying... Again... We've all been through that one...

Brandon looks at Jake, and cocks an eyebrow. Jake nods, as if acknowledging Brandon's comment.

Jake Starr: Let's be real... Brandon is as much to do with realism with his prediction as anyone else, here. The fact is... Nobody... And I mean nobody, is even close to what we are all here for right now.

Brandon Evans: Then if I'm not right, what's going on? I know everything. I consider myself the God of knowing things about Jake Starr.

Jake Starr: Yeah... That's because you carry my bags.

Brandon Evans: Well... It counts!

Jake Starr: It does... But tonight, not so much.

Brandon Evans: I beg to differ. I monitor all of your calls. The only call that was suspicious to me was the one involving the hooker in Minneapolis!

Roeper immediately casts a death stare his way.

Brandon Evans: Hey now... Don't blame the messenger...

Jake lowers his head in his hands and shakes it.

Jake Starr: Don't ask, Roeper... Trust me...

Roeper casts a "look" his way.

Jake Starr: ... Trust me... I'll explain later...

Roeper Hart: You'll "explain?!"

Jake Starr: Yes... It was a prank involving Ace, and it... Ugh... Long story...

Roeper Hart: Ok I buy that...

Jake Starr: Now can I get back to being serious for a moment?

Brandon Evans: Yes, Lance...

Jake drops his head again and sighs. He decides to just move forward, ignoring Brandon.

Jake Starr: Ok let me be frank... It's been a long ride for me. Time after time, I've been someone who has rebooted myself, found that fire, and restarted from the ground up. Look at all of these frames. Look at these gimmicks. Look at these championships. Each time it was a reboot. Each time it was the symbolism of putting something behind me, and starting fresh.

Jake walks back to the empty frame.

Jake Starr: ... And honestly it's time to do it one last time.

Brandon Evans: I TOLD YOU HE WAS TRANSITIONING! But admittedly I meant in a different way, but we're getting a reboot!

Jake Starr: Not this time, man... Not this time...

Shawn Wright: Huh?

Jake Starr: It's time for me to retire for good...

There is a pause in the room, and then a chorus of laughs from many who don't believe him, and think he's joking with them.

Jake Starr: ... Guys... I'm serious...

Roeper even chuckles.

Roeper Hart: Heh... Jake... We all know you better. Me even more so than Brandon!

Shawn Wright: She has a point!

From the darkness above, where the spotlights were being shined, a voice rings out.

Eric "Agent oo6" Rommel: No... He's not bullshitting anyone...

Everyone turns to see Eric standing there, leaning over the railing.

Eric "Agent oo6" Rommel: ... He's for real. He's ready to be done...

The reality begins to set in and there is an eerie silence in the room. Everyone looks down, and slowly back at Jake, who has a little bit of a tear in his eye.

Jake Starr: Guys... It's time... We all know it...

Roeper Hart: But... But how? Why?

Jake Starr: Hun... For years Bane, Shawn, Eric, Brandon and I all traveled the road getting beaten up everywhere we went. We wanted to change the business. We wanted to be something the world would always remember us by. We created the Social Misfits. We created a group that people feared and revered. Each one of those guys rode off into the sunset on their terms. They got out when it was their time. I was the lone wolf who never felt that need because I felt there was always something left in the tank. The thing is... I don't feel that fire anymore. I don't feel the need to go out there anymore. So Eric loaned me his plane, and I went and met with Mr. D, and we talked about it. We talked about how I needed to do what was best for me and most importantly my family. And that's when I realized something... What was best for my family was doing nothing. For about a year, now, I've been at home, and I've enjoyed not being on the road, not being beaten up, and not feeling that anxiety that fueled me week in and week out. I liked just beig a family man.

So when he and I spoke, we came to an agreement. I would go out on my terms. One more time, one more ride, then this frame gets filled. After that, I can train people. I can open the gym up to the next crop. I don't have to be "the guy" to drive this business anymore. Instead, I can be the guy who sits back and just enjoys life.

Shawn approaches Jake first, and puts his hand on his shoulder.

Shawn Wright: Really, man?

Jake gets a bit choked up.

Jake Starr: Really. I've thought about it. Eric and I talked, too...

Eric "Agent oo6" Rommel: And he didn't have to "convince" me. I could hear the conviction in his voice. It's the same conviction I had. When I looked him in the eye, I saw the same thing I felt, in his soul.

Shawn goes forehead to forehead with his longtime "brother," before embracing him and getting choked up as well.

Shawn Wright: I... I just can't believe it...

One by one, everyone in the room walks up to Jake, each choking up a little, before embracing him, expressing their love for him, and ultimately how proud they are that he, alone came to the decision. Hugging his mother and father last becomes the most difficult for Jake, as he tears up almost breaking completely. It was thanks to them that he got into the business, and it's only fitting it's the last ones he hugs after being blunt about it with them all at once. After everyone gets their hugs and words of praise in to the "last" of the active Social Misfits, Jake wipes his eyes and chuckles.

Jake Starr: ... But like I said... One... More... Time...

Everyone now realizes Jake is hinting he's entering the ring one more time, whereas the initial thought was the "one more time" meant the retiring of his ring gear.

Jake Starr: ... And this one time, it's not just about me. It's not just going to be my moment. You see, like I said, each of you got to ride off into the sunset on your terms. You each had a moment for yourselves. My moment for myself will be when I tell the world I'm done. But at Rise to Greatness, when this all goes down, that's OUR night...

Some confusion comes over their faces.

Jake Starr: Like I said... I am not riding out alone. You all stuck by me, Brandon, Shawn, Eric, Jude... You each were by my side throughout my stubborn attempt at staying active, even after your times had come and gone. You never shamed me for trying. You never told me to give up. It wasn't just because we're friends or family. It's because we all walked as one the WHOLE time. At Rise to Greatness... We do it one more time. I'm talking you guys and me, walking down that ramp, flying OUR COLORS and OUR SYMBOLS that we made popular. The Social Misfits are going out to the ring TOGETHER, one last time, and leaving that ring, one... Last... Time...

Brandon Evans: Umm, this is kind of your thing, dude...

Eric "Agent oo6" Rommel: I tend to not say this out loud, but Brandon's right.

Brandon's eyes go wide.

Brandon Evans: SOMEONE WAS RECORDING THAT, RIGHT?!

Jake chuckles.

Jake Starr: Guys... It's the only right way to do it. I don't want you out there to "help" or anything. I want you out there to simply join in a moment we spent decades building. We set out to change the business. We set out to make people realize who we were. I was the pesky cockroach of the bunch that just refused to die, and if I'm going to finally croak, then I'm dragging y'all's asses down, too. We lived this life together. I want us to go out together, finally. We all had our friends outside of this group. We all had our extra teams, here and there. But in the end, there was always the Social Misfits. There was always THIS. We deserve this moment, together because we did EVERYTHING we wanted, and then some. I, alone, don't deserve the "thank you" for all of our hard work. WE finally do. So... It's time to get the gear out... Squeeze your old man asses into it, and fly the flag that brought us to infamy one more night.

Shawn looks over at Jude, who shrugs and nods, and then over at Brandon, who couldn't be more giddy to actually walk out one more time. Then the group, along with Jake, looks over to Eric, who they know would be the most difficult to make any wrestling-related appearance. Eric looks at everyone, realizing the attention is now solely on him.

Eric "Agent oo6" Rommel: Eh fuck it... Let's let the fists fly until the day we die!

Jake's mom puts her hands over her mouth, fighting crying, as does Roeper. The group, for the first time as a whole, in nearly two decades come together and embrace in one hug. Tears pool in the eyes of some of the members of the Social Misfits, but they realize what Jake is doing. He's bringing the family together to have a final sendoff, together. They had spent years doing their own thing, and dwindling in numbers, and now they finally can assemble the cavalry and ride into and out of the corral, together, one last time.

This is quite the moment for Jake. Just a year or two ago, nobody would have guessed retirement was even near. Nobody would have guessed that he was ready to hang up the boots and do so on his terms. His boisterous attitude always made people believe he would never die, as he mentioned, like a pesky cockroach. But as everything does, Jake Starr had a lifespan. The fact he's choosing when to end his professional one is something not everyone gets. He was laid out, injured, hospitalized, and brutally beaten at times, but he always got back up. Now, it's time for Jake Starr to enjoy life after wrestling, but not before he gets one more chance to bask in the limelight of an SCW ring at Rise to Greatness.

------------------------------------------------

Jake Starr: Well folks... It's come to that time. It's come to that moment where Jake Starr knows the clock is about to strike midnight... And like I have said all along, I am completely OK with it. I am OK knowing that this is my last rodeo, my last hoorah, my last, whatever you want to call it. It is what it is, and it's time.

You know... For years I thought this day would be mortifying. I thought knowing it was coming to an end would be that feeling you get when you find out you can't wipe your own ass anymore, or have to wear Depends. But honestly, it hasn't. It's been, almost, cathartic. For the past few years, I have been doing nothing but killing myself emotionally, trying to find that "thing" that would reignite my fire and my drive to the point I could compete and contest any opponent that I crossed paths with. I thought there would be this turning point where I'd be in that World Title picture as often as the likes of Syren, Kennedy Street, Shilo Valiant, Ace Marshall, and the likes of those greats. I really thought that day would come. So I kept hyping myself. I kept telling myself this lull would end because I had the ego the size of Bill Gates' bank account, pre-divorce. I was that sure of myself.

And why shouldn't I have been?

Time and time again I had overcome odds. I had been the guy who had been given no chances at winning anything. I was told I was "too different" or "too controversial." I was constantly tearing down that proverbial fourth wall for attention, and in the end, I won't lie, it worked. Then when it started to not work, I couldn't accept the facts. I couldn't accept that everyone had passed me by, and I was now in a role of catchup, and I never really worked to do it. I thought I did. But the truth was, I was always told I did something that, in retrospect, was even better and greater than catching up. I was always told I brought out the best in EVERYONE. I was always told that, while I may have come up short, it wasn't by much. I was told I pushed people harder than anyone else in the business both because of WHO I was, and what I constantly brought to the table. And when I started to listen to THIS, instead of looking at it from the aspect of greed, my appreciation for everything I had accomplished began to take shape. I began to see myself as what, honestly, I feel I was from start to finish.

I truly was one of the best this organization has ever or will ever see.

Now I could go on about accolades, and stuff I've accomplished, but everyone knows it. Everyone knows what I've done, who I've done it against, and hell I'm the first one to tell you that I never fucking shut up about half of it anyway. Looking back I always picture people listening to me ramble going, "WE GET IT, SHUT UP ALREADY!" At the same time, I know they listened to every word because, like I said, I could motivate anyone. Someone could be in the slump of a lifetime, and along came Jake Starr, and POW, they look like the greatest professional wrestler in the world. Not many can say that. Some can say they forced people to try harder, but who else can say they brought out the BEST in everyone? Not many. And that's something that you can't look in a record book, see on a win/loss record, or get awarded at the end of the year.

It's something understood.

It's something accepted.

It's something RESPECTED.

This organization has done wonders for me as a person. It's given me the chance to be WHO I want to be. I didn't have to make up a gimmick like I had in the past. I could simply be me, and make people accept it and deal with it.

Jake begins to walk in front of the wall of his gym, which is adorned with all of the gimmicks he has had in the past.

... All of these... No matter how may titles may be hanging along side them, the outfits show places that wouldn't give me the same opportunities as SCW. It's why I want to give it the same respect in going out the way I am. I didn't want to go crazy and make it some major ordeal. I didn't want to drag it out. That just isn't me, and quite frankly I couldn't have done it like David did. I respect the hell out of him, and what he was able to do with his retirement tour, but I would have grown tired of it and never made it to the finish line. So I decided it was one and done for me. And on that note I've been asked a lot about why? Why only one? Why James Exeter? Well like I said about the only one, I didn't want to have some random set of matches leading to it. And honestly, I didn't want to risk injuring myself, or losing interest before the time came. I wanted this fire. I wanted this excitement. I wanted to feel like a kid in the candy store, one more time. So I talked with management, we agreed, we knew it wasn't something obnoxious or unfair to the rest of the superstars, and we made it happen.

Now as to why Exeter. Why a guy who really hasn't been around SCW for a while? Am I looking for an easy "steal" of a final match? Simply, no. You see, when I sat down, I thought about all of the possibilities. I thought about people I could never beat. I thought about the Streets, the Shilos, Ravyn Taylor, people like that. I thought, "you know, what better way to go out, but with a win over someone who always had your number?" But that didn't feel right to me. Then I started thinking about big names I've been associated with. I thought about Syren. I thought about David and Tommy. I thought about even Shawn Winters, and trying to pull him out of retirement. I even thought about my first loss in SCW, with Adam Allocco, and wanting to break that one to one tie. But then I thought about something bigger... Who did I OWE this match to? Who did I OWE that moment to share the spotlight with one more time?

One name... James Exeter!

You see, our history is well documented. He and I went round and round and round for three matches, and we each won one, lost one, and drew one. Now, that wasn't the final reason. That wasn't the final straw that made me decide he was the one. You see, earlier I talked about how I brought out the best in people. I brought out that extra "something something." When James and I went through those trio of matches, the first one, he went out to prove that he was better than this up and comer. The second time, he wanted to shut me up because I was so cocky I completely said his victory was a fraud, and I also realized I had to step my game up, and what did we do? Neither gave an inch. The third time, it was everything on the line. My Adrenaline Championship, his World Championship, winner take all. He did for me what everyone said I did for others. He pushed me to a point I had never been. He brought out the best in Jake Starr. He made me elevate my game to a point that carried me through the Year of Jake Starr in 2010, and leaving SCW, I felt it was only right to give us both the chance to, not win a championship, but be two Hall of Fame guys who wouldn't mind one last feather in their cap.

And Jesus... Did you hear the crowd lose their shit when I called him out? They want to see two old guys walk down with their walkers and oxygen masks, and have the nursing home brawl like nobody's business!

Jake pauses to laugh.

Sorry... I couldn't resist!

Honestly, it just felt right, to me. It felt like the right call. It felt like the way to go out. Win or lose, I would walk out and be happy I got to share the ring with the guy who truly elevated my career, elevated my game, and did what everyone says I did for others, for me. I wanted to see if maybe, just maybe, we could do that for one another one more time, and give the fans something to remember when the dust settled, and the night ended. Two bonafide Hall of Fame guys putting the final touch on a legacy, and knowing that it isn't going to somehow end up in another trilogy where it becomes 2-2-2. One person gets the bragging rights, and one person alone. It's not about rankings, it's not about titles, it's about respect and the fact one of us gets the chance to say we "won" the war.

And James... While I respect you, while I cherish the fact this is happening...

Jake smirks.

I'm still Jake Starr, baby!

So what does that mean, for you? It means Jake Starr is coming to the ring one more time, and he's going to be flanked by the original cast of the Social Misfits. Shawn Wright, Brandon Evans, Bane, and Agent oo6, by my side, as we make our final ride into the "OK Corral." Now having said that, they have no desire to get involved. This isn't a group I'm bringing to ensure my win. This is not just my final ride, this is the last ride of the Social Misfits because I have been the last man carrying the banner. Now, we all carry it one more night, and lower it down from its mast when we leave. That's what you're going to see, though. You're going to see that Social Misfit who you faced three times. Not because I think it's reigniting anything. I'm just going out the way I came in. Brash... Boisterous... And planning on doing one thing and one thing only... Winning!

You see, James... This feud never really had its ending. After I won, our paths never crossed again. We weren't avoiding one another, it just wasn't in the cards, and to me, it never was finished. And yeah, while I'm OK with the outcome either way, I'm not just going to ho-hum this shit. I'm going in there with a purpose. I'm going in there with that same chip on my shoulder that I had when we tied that second time around because this is it for me. There will be no "next time." There will be no more "recharging the batteries." Rise to Greatness is IT for me and I wanted to go against someone who never let me down in terms of competition, but also could tell who had that grit and determination to put it all on the line for the W. I have that grit, still. At least I do for one last duel. I have the desire, the want, the drive, and NEED, to go out on top so I can say I accomplished one final thing...

It ended on MY TERMS, and MY WAY!

I know you're not going to just hand it to me. I know you're not going to not bring the best James Exeter you can. If you did, neither of us would have that sense of accomplishment. Neither of us would care. But I can tell you care, too. I can sense you want to send me packing with the same chip on my shoulder for the remainder of my life. You want to win the "war," as much as I do. But let's be real here... When a war begins with one person calling their shot, calling their opposition onto the carpet, it's because they're that confident. It's because they want to prove something that they feel so deep down that NOBODY will take it from them. They have a motivation that cannot be questioned, and my motivation will be all around ringside. The Social Misfits, yes, but most importantly, my whole family. Win or lose, they will be there to witness my curtain call. I don't know what you plan on bringing to motivate you or what... But I know what I have. I know what I want. I know that this is it for me. It may be it for you, or you could decide otherwise, but for me, this is my last hoorah and I want it to matter.

So there is no half-assing for me.

There is no going through the motions.

This is every major match I have been in, in my career, wrapped up into one. This is every moment I've ever strived to achieve, culminating in one last chance to give the fans what they want. And it's across the ring from you. So I plan on going out there and, yeah, I'm going to try like hell to turn back the clock, fly high one more time, and put on a show. Most importantly, I plan on putting that last feather in my cap and saying we both gave it our all, and I came out victorious. Ultimately... I plan on showing the world that retirement won't be the death of everything I went out to do in this business. It'll be simply the final chapter in a book that I'm damn proud of.

Sunday... We both Rise to Greatness, one way or another... But if I have ANY say in it... There won't be a doubt it anyone's mind who the greatest and most transformational person in SCW's history ever was...

THE "Social Misfit," Jake Starr!