I love AJ Allmendinger.
[Image: ASrTaiG.jpeg]
Project: Black Ice

”The Silent Treatment”

Rogers Arena
Vancouver, BC
September 16th, 2021
11:43pm

Selena blinked her eyes a little as she looked away from the bright lights on the ceiling. Once more, she found herself in a “medic room”, or, rather, the assigned changeroom/locker room that SCW had chosen for the medics/doctors for tonight’s episode of Breakdown at the Rogers Arena. She wasn’t there by choice, mind you, but after the actions of Cid Turner and Asher Hayes, well….

The world champion gave a sigh as she quietly reached up a hand while the doctor wasn’t looking, feeling the bumps and roughness of the new stitches that aligned the side of her forehead. Syren hadn’t needed time in here – in fact, Selena hadn’t seen much of the Hall of Famer since Breakdown had ended. What were a few kicks and stomps to one of the greatest wrestlers in SCW? She’s probably back with Infamous and her family… Selena thought, her mind freezing at the notion.

Family… she had rarely associated such a word – a form of humanism – to her ‘temporary’ ally. To Selena, Syren had, for so long and so many times, been a woman cut from the same cloth as Asher Hayes and, now, Cid Turner. Desperate to become World Champion and doing whatever she could – from faking injuries to allowing grand schemes to be planned that ruined other people’s lives… In a way, perhaps, Selena could almost appreciate the karma in someone like Asher targeting her. Of course, once the bastard had targeted Syren with a damn piledriver, that was where the appreciation had ended! And as for Cid…

Selena shook her head, feeling the air/movement combination affect her stitches against her pale skin. She couldn’t really be surprised by the events of tonight. After all, she and Syren had humiliated the pair a week ago, especially Cid. Not only had she, the World Champion, interfered in Asher’s match against Xander Valentine – a recompense from the bastard’s actions during her match with Tommy Valentine the week before that – but to orchestrate a larger, ‘Infamous-worthy’ scheme at the Jewel against Cid, knowing Asher would show up…

A quiet sigh escaped Selena’s lips. Did she feel guilty in being part – an accomplice – to such emotional manipulation that had lured Cid away from Asher’s side? In some ways, yes, actually. It did make her uncomfortable to be anything but direct. She preferred facing challenges head-on, rather through subterfuge. She preferred solving her problems in the ring/arena rather than outside it. She preferred using her kicks and punches to take on a problem wrestling-related rather than mind games, per say. 

But this whole thing… this was beyond anything she had dealt with before. This wasn’t someone lashing out at Deanna in the heat of the moment. This wasn’t something like Vixen Cain or Xander Valentine, enacting a plan and Deanna or someone close to Selena had been swept up unintentionally or merely scared by proximity. No, Asher and Cid, who never said no to him, had made bold threats to harm Deanna. Asher, in his promos, promising to hurt her. And Cid, not only with his cheap-shot antics but with his demented stalking of Syren…

Simply beating them up hadn’t seen enough for either The Face of SCW or the Alpha Female… Selena sighed again… Gods, she had felt so angry, so enraged at the two boys – Syren had been right to call them that instead of ‘men’, for what were their antics but mere temper tantrums? But for Odin’s sake, She had wanted to teach them both a lesson – had even teamed with the least-likely person in the world in Syren to do so – and had allowed herself to follow a “Syren/Infamous-style” plan. Such was the elements of revenge…

But revenge is a cycle that never ends… the thought came strongly of its own accord to the Snow Queen, and how right it was. That was why she was here in the first place. The collective A/C Unit had immediately sought ‘revenge’ despite being the ones in the wrong in the first place. They had, initially, sought to try and humiliate the unholy alliance the way Selena would – through outwrestling and beating them in a tag match, but when that hadn’t worked…

“How many times are you going to let yourself get hit in the head with the world title?”

The question came, not from her mind, but from the gentleman standing next to her, gaining the platinum-blonde’s attention as she turned her head to regard him. Dr. Curt Okafor, the head medical trainer, did not look up from whatever he was looking at from his clipboard, merely flipped the page to read the one under it, it seemed. After a moment, he lowered the clipboard to finally regard Selena. “Hmmm?” he asked with an upward inflection. “This is, what? The third time in as many months?”

Closing her eyes for a moment, breathing slowly and deeply, Selena, perhaps out of good humor, did a quick assessment of the medical trainer’s observation. Asher with his fake title… Cid from behind backstage… tonight… Wow… three times…

The realization was far more depressing than humorous, which the doctor clearly hadn’t meant it to be, but Selena could not help feeling that way. This was, indeed, the third time she had been blasted with a title across the head when dealing with Cid Turner and Asher Hayes. The third time she had been dropped in such a fashion… 

Haven’t you learned? her mind mocked. It was chastising her. How many times do you need to get hit in the head before you ‘duck’?

Selena had been worse for the wear in the attack. While Syren had suffered a clothesline and some stomps, Selena had been cut open across the brow and blasted with the title, hence her needing to be here – to be stitched up and checked for a concussion… Gods, was she sick of those.

“Good thing I have a hard head…” she offered in a lame attempt at good-naturing, rapping the side of her head with her hand. The doctor merely shook his head before casting his eyes to the watch on his wrist.

“Seems that way.” Okafor replied. “Just about done…” he added.
“You need to ask me the last set of questions, right?” Selena sighed. “You know, your remark about me getting whacked three times over was depressing, but the fact that I know the basic steps of sideline concussion testing now? That’s even more depressing?”

“Do you?” The dark-skinned doctor asked before biting his lower lip, an amused expression gracing his features. He was handsome, Selena remarked, in an aesthetic way to the Snow Queen. His eyes were gorgeous (though Deanna’s were, by far, her favourite), a well proportioned head and face, and he certainly was in good health (go figure). Carefully, the man hid the clipboard behind his back. “Care to show me?”

Snapping back to full attention, Selena shrugged. “You’re going to ask me, now that I’ve answered every question about how I’m feeling, questions about my short-term memory and long-term memory. Where are we? The Rogers Center in Vancouver, Canada. It’s September 16th – I don’t know what time it is because there is no clock on the wall but, since Breakdown is over, I’ll wager it has to be after 11pm. I was attacked by Cid Turner and Asher Hayes – specifically Cid who hit me with my world title, though Syren and I did win our tag match. And…and…”

Selena stretched her mind, trying to recall the last question or two. “I don’t remember the last couple of questions but they’re related to long-term memory.”

His lip jutting out a little as he half-smiled, Okafor nodded his head. “I don’t know whether to be impressed or worried for you, Selena.” He stated.
“Don’t be worried.” Selena shook her head. “I’ve had more close calls than actual concussions…” though she wasn’t entirely certain if that was true.
“And a week ago?” The doctor asked.
“A week ago, I interfered in Asher’s match and beat up Cid and Asher in a restaurant named the Jewel with Syren.”
“Week before that?”
Selena’s jaw clenched at the question. “I think that was when Syren came out during my segment and we agreed to team up because Asher interfered in my match, Cid attacked me from behind and Asher put his hands on my wife. Oh, we also plan on visiting my parents next week before the pay-per-view, and-”

“Alright…” the doctor nodded with a laugh. “Physical test, fine. Current state, good, and memory, clearly alright. Aside from the cut, I don’t see any lasting damage or signs of a concussion.” He then gave a tired sigh. “But you know what I am going to say.”

The Snow Queen gave a tired roll of her eyes. “Keep an eye out for any symptoms like headaches, nausea, memory impairment-“ she counted off the list with the fingers of her right hand. “Balance issues, blurred vision, confusion, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.” She quickly held up a hand to the doctor, who had moved to his “desk” of sorts to pick up a piece of paper – an instructional sheet of symptoms and what steps to take. “I have the last one you gave me, doc.” Selena gave a sad smile. “I doubt the symptoms have changed since then.”

“Oh…right.” Okafor laughed, returning the paper to its resting place. “Maybe you should get one of these framed or something.”

The Snow Queen rolled her eyes again at that remark before excusing herself, promising to call or seek medical aid in New York should any symptoms arise. As it was, she wasn’t worried about her own health. Deanna, the children and her were planning on visiting Selena’s parents in Maplewood, sure enough, but aside from that, SCW was in its pre-PPV setup, tonight being the ‘final stop’ before Apocalypse. She had no physical demands from SCW until the pay-per-view…

Emotional, on the other hand…

Making her way down the halls, the Snow Queen was not surprised at the lack of superstars or crew. Breakdown had been over for almost an hour and most of the roster had, no doubt, gone home/their hotel rooms to recuperate and plan for Apocalypse, leaving the halls mostly bare and the world champion alone to her thoughts.

She wasn’t sure what had prompted a desire to see her parents – Jonathan Van Hohenheim (formerly known as Donovan Frost) and his wife, Alejandra, Selena’s birth parents… Though they lived only thirty to forty-five minutes away from her home in Manhattan in Maplewood, New Jersey, none of the Frost family had frequented there.

And while some would attribute that to the infamous “New York vs. New Jersey” rivalry that had existed since the dawn of time, Selena put no such stock in that. And it was no ill-will, either. She loved her parents, even though she knew Alejandra the least – only a few years, actually. But, for the longest time, seeing her father had just been… just been too hard.

For most of her life – all of her teenage years, she had believed that her father was gone. She had been forced to accept that – be it death or removal – at such a young age, taking on his ‘legacy’ of the gold-mine onto herself. It had only been a few years ago when she had learned of his survival and, tracking him down, learned of his amnesia. 

It was a double-edged sword – one that hurt Selena two-fold. Her father was alive… but for all he tried… the certainty was inescapable. Jonathan Van Hohenheim was not Donovan Frost. He didn’t have those memories. He didn’t know Selena like Donovan had. He just… no matter how hard he tried… he wasn’t Donovan. And for so long, Selena had kept her distance. She hadn’t been able to simply accept that – a man with her father’s face but not fully her father…

She wasn’t sure what was prompting her now. Maybe it was the idea of Killjoy hanging over her head, promising doom on her at any time and she wanted to make sure, worse-case scenario… or maybe it was the last few sleepless nights in her office when she wasn’t thinking about Killjoy and work. She had, one night, brought her box of ‘personal items’ that had meant the world to her. Photos, pendants, a receipt from her first date with Deanna, one of the fake-flowers that had been used in her wedding to the redhead, and, of course, her father’s gold-nugget necklace…

She couldn’t be certain why, but she had wanted to see them now. Wanted to talk to them – even though she had no idea what she was going to say or what they would say. Would they blame her? Would they be upset with her at her own weakness? She knew that avoiding them, or distancing herself from them, hadn’t been a fair call to them – they had done nothing wrong… but… but…

A sigh escaped her as she pushed the door open to her changeroom, walking in to see the room, same as so many other changerooms she had visited in her years with SCW. Sitting in one of the large chairs, hands in her lap, was Deanna. Upon hearing the door open, the redhead had turned her head towards it, seeing her wife walk in.

“All clear.” Selena sighed, tapping her head with her finger. Deanna only gave a nod of her head as the Snow Queen made her way into the room, closing it behind her. “I’m glad for it.” The platinum-blonde added, trying to humor the whole situation. “I’m sick of getting sick from concussions.” 

Moving throughout the room, the wrestler pulled herself out of her wrestling clothes, packing them in a separate bag and grabbing her regular clothes before making her way to the bathroom and showering. The cold water felt good – no, amazing – on her frame, her skin showing goosebumps as it was pelted with the soft, cold water from the shower. Her stitches itched a little, reminding her to keep her head away from the water, which she was fortunate enough to do, stepping back before getting it wet. Holding her head back, she adjusted the shower head to only get her lower torso and down. She felt a pang of annoyance at that, Cid’s actions denying her a proper, cold shower for about 48 hours.

It was an interesting revelation. She found Cid’s antics – the attacks from behind or with the title, his insults, usually childish at best, repetitive at worst… they were more annoying than anything else. 

It was Asher she hated. Asher that had put his hands on Deanna and Asher that was the ‘puppet-master’ to Cid. What was Cid Turner? A man that hid behind Asher. Who let Asher do all the things that he either couldn’t or was too afraid to do… it didn’t matter to the Snow Queen. Cid Turner was almost a child in his actions… Throwing tantrums and saying things that were borderline stupid to claim like that nonsense about “being the best tag-team in 20 years” when he had barely held the tag-titles with Asher outside a month or two. Cid had yet to cross the line of putting his hands on Deanna…

For a moment, Selena was glad that it was her that had suffered the hit to the head rather than Syren, because she WANTED to see Syren destroy Asher, not just for herself but for Selena and her wife. She had watched Xander Valentine decimate the fake “Co-Champion” and, the platinum-blonde wasn’t shy to admit it, she had enjoyed watching it. She had felt justified – vindicated – in her actions. And as good as Xander Valentine was – Selena would be the first to claim as such after her wars with the Executioner – he had fought purely as she normally would have. To win – for wrestling, no personal stakes.

Syren, like Selena, was beyond that. Far beyond that. For Selena, she was fighting for SCW still, of course. For the representation of Supreme Championship Wrestling and to keep the nightmare that was “The Co-World Champions” nonsense at bay. But for what Asher, and by extension Cid, had done towards Deanna? And for Syren, the bastard had tried to end her career – endangered her life! Something Selena wouldn’t have wished on any of her worst enemies, including Syren!

No, while tonight had ended on a ‘note of suck’ with that beatdown, it had only served to justify Selena’s thoughts and decisions towards Apocalypse. She needed to go into Denver and not just beat Cid with a roll-up like she had months ago at Taking Hold of the Flame, though she would if she had to… she needed to put an emphasis on it. Needed to put the exclamation point on it like she and Syren had in their match tonight. An emphatic pinfall or submission that declared her still the world champion the same night Syren beat the hell out of Asher.

And afterwards…

Her movements stilled as the shower continued to rain water upon her. She knew it was foolish to “assume” anything when it came to the future. As SCW had made it clear, much in the same as with its notion of “rematches are not guaranteed” and whatnot, NOTHING was for sure in SCW. Matches, feuds, title opportunities could come at any time and change just as fast. It had taken Selena four years to come back to the world title picture and part of her – perhaps it was ego or simply knowledge of that uncertainty – had no desire to simply “pass the title off” so soon when things were so uncertain. Even so, she found herself hopeful and unable to stop the thoughts – as they were a welcome distraction to her growing anxiety over seeing her parents next week. 

She was hopeful that she could beat Cid Turner once again, even if the odds were more against her than before…
She was hopeful that Syren would beat Asher Hayes… more than that, she wanted them both to win so profoundly that they could put the whining, crying, and arrogance of the A/C Unit behind them.
She was hopeful that…that…

A laugh escaped her, echoing in the small shower as she turned the water off carefully. It was just beyond funny. She was hopeful that- that Syren would face her next!

It was insane to comprehend, but it was as true as Selena’s hair was white – the Snow Queen catching her reflection in the panelled glass of her shower as she stepped out of it – her eyes also catching the black, detailed, snowflake-tattoo that covered her left shoulder socket completely. She wanted to defend the world championship against Syren. She had been too distracted by Rise to Greatness and Ace Marshall to give much though to the future and the number one contender match that took place and by the time she had gotten to it, she really couldn’t give it much thought to ‘what-ifs’ with Cid being the next challenger.

But now? If she could get past the A/C Unit? If Syren could… who else? For a moment, the Snow Queen thought of Xander Valentine. She had heard the man’s words earlier tonight during Breakdown – the glint in the man’s eyes as he spoke about the week before, a look the two of them had shared… “perhaps there’s a future clash over her title…”

Despite herself, Selena’s hands reached up to place themselves over her heart. It was racing! It was beating so damn fast! She was excited! She wanted to face Syren with the World title on the line! She wanted to face Xander Valentine with the world title on the line! She wanted to face – she didn’t know who else in that moment – but she wanted to face them for the world title! It didn’t matter where: regular matches, ladder matches (she had never been in one of those before), cages, it didn’t matter. Her heart leapt at the possibilities…

If she could only get past Cid Turner.

It was a cold dose of reality – one that felt like the cold water that had been splashing down her body, now being dried off by Selena and a dark blue, large towel. She had every tool in her arsenal to defeat the man and she would be mentally prepared for whatever barbs he threw at her, whatever mental schemes he and Asher concocted… but if that wasn’t enough… if she failed…

With a shake of her head, Selena quickly finished drying herself off. It was late and they had a long journey back to Manhattan – a good near two days (fortunately, Eric would take the first leg of driving while an additional driver – I think his name is Mike… Selena thought – would take another leg and the pair would alternate in such a fashion, providing a near constant span of travel. Even so, Selena was quick to finish dressing, putting on black sweatpants and a dark purple t-shirt. She was heading straight to bed after the night she had and, thus, was opting for more comfortable clothes to just fall asleep in.

Opening the door and running a hand through her still damp, medium-length hair, she was quick to pack up her remaining items, including the world championship (which Deanna had brought back to their change room while Selena had been checked by Okafor). 

“Ready to go?” she asked, slinging her back over her shoulder, sapphire eyes on her beloved wife.

Without a word, Deanna stood up and marched towards the door, surprising the Snow Queen.

“Ooookay…” Selena half-whispered. Where the hell did that come from? Now that she thought about it, Deanna hadn’t said a word to her when she had returned to the change room either, had barely acknowledged her beyond her entry into the room. Now, she was marching away like – well, to Selena it felt like the redhead was pissed off at her.

Over what? Though the young woman. It’s not the first time she’s seen me get beaten up… Shit! Did I forget something?

Quickly, as she followed her wife, Selena wracked her brain, going over dates, appointments, anything she could have missed that would have upset her wife. It wasn’t until the pair had reached the parking lot that she had managed to catch up with her. Their limo-bus, the “Believe It!” was on the far side of the space, making it easier to enter and exit for poor Eric. “Hey…” Selena spoke out as she walked in pace with Deanna. “You okay?” her voice was gentle in her question.

The redhead remained silent, not even casting a glance towards her wife, further stunning the Snow Queen to say the least. What was up with Deanna? Was it tonight? About what happened? Okay, so she got beaten down a bit – okay, a lot – but compared to being thrown into a cage flooring or getting her head smashed by a monitor or whatever… this wasn’t that bad! Like the good doctor had said, this was the third time it had happened in her dealings with Cid and Asher – really their most successful tactic when dealing with her.

Does she blame herself again?

Selena thought as she followed her wife onto the bus, giving a quick hello to Eric and ‘Mike’ as she did so. She soon found herself at the back of the bus in her ‘resting quarters’ with Deanna. The redhead was putting her bags in their proper place, which Selena copied. Even then, the redhead would not look her wife in the face as they passed one another, even with the jolt of moment that came as the bus began moving, beginning its journey back to Manhattan. 

“Deanna.” Selena huffed. “What’s wrong?”

The redhead was changing into more comfortable clothes, similar to Selena’s but more green and light blue. Without answering, she adjusted her t-shirt over her form and undid her hair from the ponytail she had put it in.

“Seriously?” Selena asked. “You’re giving me the silent treatment?” her tone was more in disbelief than anything else. Her wife seemed genuinely pissed and it made no sense. “Tell me what’s wrong.” She asked, reaching out her hand. It had just landed on her wife’s shoulder when Deanna slapped it off! 

“What the hell?!” Selena asked in disbelief, hurt more from the shock than any actual pain, holding the smacked hand in her other one. “What is with you?!”

She was not prepared for the sight of her beloved turning around and the emotions that stormed in those emerald eyes. Anger – no, rage! That’s what it was – Rage, shock, more rage… it was like staring into the heart of a fire! Without meaning to, purely on instinct, Selena took a step back, as if that would help matters. Deanna did not flinch, but kept her eyes locked on Selena.

“You have one chance to tell me what the hell happened out there.” She spoke slowly and coldly, eyes never leaving Selena. “Tell me what the hell happened?”

“I’m…I’m sorry…” Selena tried automatically, though she wasn’t entirely sure what she was apologizing for. Still, saying something was better than saying nothing, right? Even if she had to guess. “I wasn’t expecting them to attack us like that… least of all for Cid to instigate it.”

That part was actually true. The post-match attack by A/C Unit had been instigated not by Asher, which would have been expected, but by Cid. The former World Champion had, Selena assumed from what she had seen/remembered, grabbed the title from Deanna. Usually, Cid’s attack would be because Asher was being attacked or something, like after Selena’s match with Tommy Valentine. But the tag match had been over, and Selena and Syren were not going to attack finished opponents – Cid had just attacked out of malice. Frustration. Hatred. It didn’t matter – it was a far cry from his previous attacks and justifications of “saving his friend”.

He shows his true colors… Selena thought with disdain before returning her attention to the redhead still staring at her.

“It’s not your fault.” Selena tried, reaching out a hand to try and touch her wife. It was like meeting a brick wall – a warning going off in Selena’s head that told her that if she came closer, Deanna would swat her hand away again – causing her to pull back the offered pale hand. “Don’t blame yourself for what they did.” She added with a smile.

It made sense that Deanna would blame herself for her wife getting attacked again. She had done the same thing a few weeks ago, blaming herself for being unable to free herself from Asher when Cid had been attacking Selena. And she had been the one holding the proverbial weapon Cid had used. 

“Cid took the World title from you.” Selena tried. “He chose to attack me. You can’t blame yourself for that. “

She was hoping her words would calm her wife, help her to understand that no blame was held in her direction. That Selena, and she was sure Syren, believed that there was nothing Deanna could have done to stop Cid – he had stunned all of them with his actions, cowardly as they were. Surely, her words would ease Deanna’s mind.

Except when Deanna’s closed and the redhead took a deep breath before opening them – that was when Selena realized that her choice of words had been the absolute worst ones.

“Are you fucking kidding me?” Deanna asked under her breath, her glare becoming angrier.
“What?” Selena tried desperately. “What is it?” she repeated. “Tell me and I’ll try and explain it! I don’t know what’s wrong!” she held up a hand to her forehead. “I’m fine, De. See? The doctor said it wasn’t a concussion. It was a stupid little attack – a tantrum from a pair of poor losers and-“

She was unable to finish the statement as Deanna marched out of the room.

“Deanna, wait-“ Selena called out, trying to follow her. She stumbled a little, her slipper-wearing feet slipping as the bus turned into another lane. Holding her hand up against the nearest wall, she steadied herself before she was able to walk out of the room to follow Deanna, only to see the redhead at the front of the bus, demanding a surprised Eric to pull over to the side. Confused, the driver clearly obeyed (what else could he do?) and ensured the bus was on the side of the highway.

“De-what are you?” Selena began as she grabbed a hold of various surfaces to re-secure her balance.
“Open the door.” She ordered, Eric doing so just in time to prevent the redhead from walking into the door as she exited the bus, reintroducing herself to the midnight air.

Without a second thought, Selena was following her out of the door and into the night. At that moment, neither woman cared about how they looked, dressed in sleep/comfort wear, to passing-by traffic. Deanna was too upset, clearly, and Selena was too damn confused.

“Deanna…” she called out. “Please, sweetheart – just tell me what I said. Tell me what I did wrong – I don’t even know if I did anything wrong-“

And again, that seemed to be the wrong thing to say, for the younger Frost spun around at those words, hurt and angry eyes back on the Snow Queen. “And THAT is the problem!” she barked, causing Selena to halt in their tracks, the two now standing on the ‘curb-side’ of the bus as it sat on the highway. 

“The problem is I don’t know what’s wrong?” Selena asked. “Deanna, I’m not a mind-reader. I can’t see what you’re thinking. You have to tell me-“
“No, the problem is that you think you haven’t done something wrong.” Deanna shot back before suddenly, angrily, slamming her fist against the side of the bus, the metal giving a dull ring from the impact. “The problem is that you MADE me stand there and do NOTHING while you were beaten down by Cid and Asher!”

The Snow Queen stood there dumbstruck, her mouth hanging up, unable to say or do anything as Deanna marched back up to Selena to poke at her with a finger.

“I was ready to jump in there to help you. To protect you. But YOU… you looked at me- and I knew that look. You forbid me from entering that ring, didn’t you? That’s what that look meant, wasn’t it?”

Selena tried to say something but no words came out. She could only close her mouth at the truth behind Deanna’s accusations.

“I had to stand there, fighting every fiber of my being from running into that ring while Cid stomped away at you and Asher mocked us!” her voice was a low growl. “And all I could do was hate myself that I was listening to you!” she turned away from a moment, taking a few steps away from Selena before spinning back around to eye her. “Why?! Why couldn’t you let me get in the ring?!”

“You’re… You’re not a wrestler…” Selena tried.
“Oh bullshit!” Deanna shot back. “I know how to fight! I know how to throw a damn punch and a kick!”

Silence followed that, broken only by the sounds of passing traffic as the two women stood there. For Deanna, her glare never faltered. As for the Snow Queen, part of her was still in shock at Deanna’s outburst, but that was slowly leaking into anger herself.

“Okay.” She huffed, crossing her arms. “What exactly would you have done, Deanna?” She tilted her head. “A former World Champion and one of the most desperate men in SCW right now. Syren and I are incapacitated. What the hell would you have done to help Syren and I? You. Against them.”

Deanna’s eyes narrowed at Selena at the challenge but she said nothing.

“Go ahead, De.” Selena frustratingly huffed. “Since you obviously are mad at my judgement call – with eight years of experience – what would you have done that would have made things better?”

“Grabbed a chair and-“
“And what?” Selena laughed. “Swung wildly and hoped to hit something? They would have seen you coming a mile away! Asher was watching you the whole time. You’d never have managed to get in the ring without them stomping the chair right out of your hands – and now they have two weapons.”
“Doesn’t mean-“
“Still waiting on a plan here, De.” Selena tapped a slippered-foot against the ground. “What would you have done to stop Cid and Asher from beating on us. Thrown a fist? A kick? Like you said?”

Deanna’s jaw clenched again, her hands tightening into fists. 

“I stopped you from getting in the ring because I knew you were going to try. And IF you had tried, they would have put you in the hospital.”
“That wasn’t your decision to make!” Deanna countered.
“Yes, it was!” Selena shot back. “You’re MY manager and MY wife. I brought you back into SCW. Meaning you’re MY responsibility.”
“You didn’t do shit!” Deanna threw back. “I CHOSE to come back and stand by your side!”
“And I am grateful!” Selena tried. “I want nothing more than that!”
“So, why are your treating me like a porcelain doll?!” Deanna countered. “Have you forgotten what I’ve been through?! What I survived on my own?!”

Selena’s eyes narrowed at that hurtful statement. “I can never forget it.” She stated coldly. “But you’re asking me to be okay with you blindly running into danger without a plan.”
“Even if I didn’t have a plan!” Deanna laughed angrily. “I could have at least distracted them enough to give you or Syren time to recover!”
“And gotten destroyed in the process?”
“YES!” Deanna spat. “Sometimes, you have to make sacrifices for the greater good. In chess, sometimes, a pawn has to be thrown away for the good of the game. Sometimes, you need to give up a piece to get that pawn to the end and get back your Queen.”
“This isn’t a game, Deanna!” Selena shot back. “You don’t get a ‘reset’ if you fuck up! You get put on the shelf, or worse! For Odin’s sake, look what happened to Regan! I won’t have you following me into fire!”
“THEN STOP RUNNING INTO FIRE!” Deanna shouted. “It’s not fair! You can’t just run into wars and fights and whatever else and then tell me to just stand there and watch while you burn!” 

Another pause with only the sound of traffic vehicles, the two women now breathing heavily in their storm of emotions.

“You don’t have the right…” Deanna’s voice had dropped to a whisper. “To go running into trouble and then tell me that I can’t do the same – Especially when it’s to protect the woman that I love more than anything on this earth! You don’t have the right to tell me to not do anything stupid while you’re stupidly fighting the whole damn world.”

“Maybe I don’t…” Selena took a shaky breath. “And maybe it’s not fair…” another breath. “But if you want to stay with me – as my manager, by my side… that’s how it’s going to be.”

Deanna’s head shot up, eyes wide in shock as Selena stood there, defiantly. She felt tears stinging her eyes and the anger return in a fresh wave of fury, only to be squashed by a new wave of absolute hurt at Selena’s words. Without another word, she marched past Selena, pushing the Snow Queen aside to re-enter the bus.

The platinum-blonde stood there for a moment, taking a few quick breaths as she replayed the last few minutes in her mind. Deanna didn’t understand. She wasn’t like Holly Adams, Ravyn Taylor, CHBK, Minerva or the other people that acted as valets or managers for their friends. Those were all wrestlers. People that could hold their own in the ring. Deanna couldn’t. She had proven that when they had fought Holly and Asher months ago in that impromptu tag-match. 

Again, the words from her sister, Regan Street, earlier in the week came ringing back to Selena – the notion of Asher piledriving Deanna… even if it cost him another suspension or even his job… if tonight had proven anything, it was that, when pushed far enough, Cid and Asher were capable of anything! And if Deanna had come into the ring, the things they could have ‘legally’ done per the laws of SCW?

No! Selena knew she was right. Yes, it was an unfair ruling and she hated the idea of commanding her wife like a boss to an employee… but this wasn’t a game! And this wasn’t just about hurt feelings! She could take whatever A/C Unit threw at her, but they were AFTER Deanna! Asher WANTED to hurt Deanna – had all but sworn that he eventually would! All he needed was a reason, if that!

No... Selena sighed. Deanna can’t fight my battles with me – not like how she wants to. I refuse to let her stupidly throw herself into danger like that.

Turning back, Selena made her way back onto the bus as well, apologizing to both Eric and Mike for the hassle. It wasn’t until she had reached the near end of the bus that she saw the pillow and blankets thrown on the floor in front of the door. She recognized them as belonging to her bed on the other side of the door.

With a slow sigh, she gathered the items up into her arms and made her way back to the middle of the bus. Reaching out, she closed the barrier to the driver’s seats where Eric and Mike were sitting, turned off the lights and settled herself down on the nearby long couch. She could barely make out the lights passing by through the closed shutters of the window, but she watched them ‘fly’ past as she lay on the couch.

It’s for her own good. she sighed as she thought that, repeating it a few times for good measure. In the end, she’ll understand that… I’m sure of it.

With that certainty, Selena closed her eyes. It took a while for the Snow Queen to fall asleep, but she managed it, though it was difficult to achieve with a mind as alert and troubled as hers. She replayed the night in her head, trying to think of ways things could have gone better.

Perhaps if she had left the title backstage, locked in the change room. 
Perhaps if she had anticipated such poor form from those two desperate boys.

Or perhaps things would have been different altogether if the world champion had heard the soft cries that filled the bedroom nearby…

The Royal Letter

The camera opens up to reveal the SCW World Champion sitting on a chair, one leg elegantly crossed over the other. She wears black jeans and a maroon shirt that shows her neck and the tops of her shoulders. Over one such shoulder sits the SCW World Championship, which she will be defending this weekend at the Apocalypse pay-per-view. With a smile, Selena Frost considers her words for a moment before speaking.

I don’t think I need to waste anyone’s time with an overdrawn buildup to this match.

Taking a short breath, Selena holds up a hand as if to further explain. That isn’t to diminish it. It’s because the world knows what this match promises to be by merely existing. You put the names of Cid Turner and Selena Frost together - that right there should tell you everything you need to know. You throw in the World Championship of SCW? That’s a bona-fide draw. That is a battle and a war simply in the marquee naming. Like Wayne Gretzky with greatness, like Elvis with rock and roll, Selena Frost vs Cid Turner for the SCW World title guarantees a war. 

The Snow Queen takes a slow breath as she adjusts the world title on her shoulder. That is what has come to be expected not just out of me and my matches but because of you, Cid. Because back and forth you and I have gone for months – and trust me when I say this, this has become more than just a fight for the world title, and you know it. This has become more than just me wanting to represent SCW as something more than the BS you’ve been trying to sell for so many months with your pal, Asher, and the “Co-World Champions” nonsense. 

She shrugs. If it was just that, this match would be simple for me. I’d dismiss your overused insults, come to Apocalypse and simply fight you, Cid. And win or lose, you’d either be right or I’d, once again, prove you wrong. Either you would be the world champion once again, or I would retain the championship. Like I said: simple. 

Biting her lower lip, the Snow Queen shakes her head slowly. Thing is, Cid, we both know this sure as hell has become far more personal than “simple”. You and I both know that this will not be settled simply by wrestling. You’re angry, you’re humiliated. And I’m just as angry and frustrated. This is not something that can be settled merely on who gets the winning pinfall or submission, can it? You and I won’t allow this to settle so simply, will we? Selena stares at the camera.

No, this will be settled in the fitting show of ‘Apocalypse’ and it will be settled by you and I beating the holy hell out of each other until the last bell rings. And, believe me, I am looking forward to doing just that.

A smile breaks across Selena’s pale features. Because I know that is what it will take to beat you once again, Cid. I know how much you want this title back. I know how desperate you are to get it back for you and for Asher. We’ve heard it week after week! A guarantee, right?! ‘Melt the Snow Queen’ because THAT’S not gotten old in the last eight years.

You’ve sworn it.
Asher has sworn it. 
Pretty sure Holly will tweet about it at some point.
Hell, you and Asher have already made plans for the next show once it’s all over! You’ve already made plans on what you’ll do ‘when you win the world championship!’
Giving a smirk, Selena shakes her head.

You say ‘when’ when you really should be saying ‘IF’…

But see, Cid, that right there shows me how ill-prepared you really are to face me. There’s an old saying, Mr. Turner. An old saying that goes “those that do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it”.
The Snow Queen pauses for a moment, letting the adage sink in.

And since you talked about being “so and so in ALL SCW HISTORY!” well, let me give you some actual history: Last time you and I faced you one-on-one, you declared up and down that you cared FAR more about this title than I did.
Last time we faced one-on-one, you called my passion ‘fake’. An ‘act’ that you could crush.
Last time you and I faced one-one-one, you vowed that there was no way in hell that I was ever going to beat you and become World Champion…

And that is exactly what I did.
a pale hand reaches up to tap the world title that sits on Selena’s shoulder.

Had it been the other way around, I would have learned from that. I would have accepted the loss and worked hard to be ready for the next time. I would have learned from my mistakes, my past, and gotten better so that this time would be different. I would be different.

But hell, I just fought you in a tag-match last week, Cid, and what the hell happened?

You declared up and down that you cared far more about this title and for SCW than me.
You called Syren and my tag-teaming as ‘an act’ and weak compared to the supposed “greatest tag-team in the last twenty or so years of SCW”.
And you vowed that there was no way in hell that the ‘new team’ could beat the “untouchable talent” that is A/C Unit…

Again, a smile breaks across Selena’s features. It’s starting to sink in, isn’t it, Cid? It’s finally starting to sink in even through your warped brain. Every time you have thrown the gauntlet down on me – every time you have opened your big, fat, mostly beard-covered mouth and laid out some kind of challenge to me or declared some kind of ‘certainty’ of my defeat – I’ve picked up your word, your challenge, and rammed them right down your throat! 

I beat you, even with your supposed “dominance” and “greater passion”. I defied your supposed ‘standards’ and ‘promises’ and ‘lessons’, and I passed every test you threw at me, leaving you to throw a tantrum or have Asher whine about “cheating” or “unfairness” . Acting like little boys who don’t get their way.

She shakes her head. And for all your talent, Cid. All the people you’ve beaten – the skill you’ve shown - that’s something you still haven’t gotten after over a hundred days. For all the punishment you put me through, all the crap you and Asher have tried to pull over me, Deanna, Syren and all of SCW, the beatings – the hits with a world title – all the schemes you and Asher have cooked up, you can knock me down, you can hit me with a title, absolutely! You can make me bleed, you can beat me up… but you still haven’t been able to keep me down. You still haven’t been able to stop me from getting back up. 

Selena’s eyes narrow. And that’s what I am seeing now when I look into those eyes. I see anger. I see hatred. But I see that truth has finally dawned on you! And more than anything now, I see desperation.

You may very well be a better wrestler than me, Cid. You may be smarter than me. You may be more experienced than me. You may be stronger, you may be faster, you sure as hell are more arrogant, you might have more resources or angles to use than I do… but every time you and I have stepped up and stared each other down, I have seen that desperation growing in your eyes each and every time. And last Breakdown? When your supposed ‘best laid plan’, your ‘surefire’ of the unbeatable bromance was conquered – when Syren and I BEAT the “Tag League Champions” and “greatest tag-team in SCW near twenty-year history”… I saw it all snap.

The Snow Queen snaps her fingers.

I saw you snap, Cid. I saw that desperation in your eyes take control and I felt it as you fell back on what you and Asher always fall back on. ‘If you can’t beat them in a match, beat them up after it.’ Just like when Asher couldn’t get past Syren at Taking Hold of the Flame… And, I won’t deny it, you sure as hell gave Syren and I a beating last week, sure gave me one.

The Face of SCW gestures to her forehead, where there are still the marks of stitches she received from that episode of Breakdown. Rather than be angry from that night, however, Selena smiles.

But if I needed any more convincing of who the hell I am facing at Apocalypse? I got it last Breakdown. YOU gave it to me, Cid. Because I don’t see that same arrogance and indifference in your eyes that you showed me three months ago. I don’t see that smugness anymore. Not when, twice now, you’ve vowed to beat me with your ‘superior abilities’ and you have failed.

I see a man who is desperate. I see a man who is clutching at straws. You want so badly to get this title back that it’s come to a point where you pretend to be doing all this in ‘service’ to SCW, but truthfully? You’re just jumping on the bandwagon that so many like you have done. Since you can’t seem to beat me on your own – you’re ready to use whatever method you can and break whatever rule you have to to try and make it happen.

Again, Selena adjusts the world title on her shoulder but her eyes never leave the camera. It’s a look that I have seen for years, Cid. In the eyes of Vixen Cain, in the eyes of Ace Marshall, in the eyes of Xander Valentine, in the eyes of Bree Lancaster, and, yes, in the eyes of Syren and Infamous. Where obsession becomes desperation and overrules morality and honour. Where it no longer matters how you do it… just so long as you win. her shoulders shrug.

And I know, Cid, I definitely know, that that mentality makes you even more dangerous. That mentality will not balk at the notion of being ‘helped to the World title’. That mentality will not hesitate to use the title belt to secure a win. That mentality will be another hurdle that will require everything from me to overcome. But it’s also a mentality that I know how to beat better than anyone. All those names I mentioned? There’s a reason I’ve taken them all on and not only survived but I won. There is a reason I am the World Champion. Because I know that mentality. I know that song and dance between them and me, Cid, and I can dance with the best of them! her tone drops a little, becoming colder.

Week after week, I have seen the depths you and Asher are willing to go to keep this delusion of yours alive, Cid. I have seen that same mentality and I know what you are capable of, now more than ever. You? Despite all of that, there is a reason you have failed over and over again with me. There is a reason why you were outsmarted by Syren and I. There is a reason you couldn’t beat us last week.

Maybe you know Syren on some sick, stalker-level in your mind… but you have no idea what I am capable of.

Leaning forward, Selena slides the title off her shoulder to hold it down over her knees. You have no idea how far you and Asher have pushed me. You have no idea how far YOU, Turner, pushed me when you shoved my wife simply because you were humiliated once again by your own unkept promises.

I have sided with the most unlikely of people in SCW.
I was actually part of an Infamous-worthy scheme to avenge my wife.
I even tag-teamed with Syren for the first time in half a decade!

All to make you and Asher pay for what you two have done. You think throwing milk and water and plants and salad in your faces was the worst? Cid, that is only a small example – perhaps a more fitting word would be ‘appetizer’ - to how far I’m willing to go to keep the world title from you and that fake bastard. Don’t believe me? Ask Xander. Ask Bree. Ask Ace and Lexy. Ask Syren, if she’ll talk to you, about how far I’m willing to go for something or someone that I love and I believe in! And there is nothing I believe in more than S-C-W. There is no one I love more than Deanna!
the passion in Selena’s voice breaks through, her eyes shining with intensity.

See, Cid, you and I both know what Syren is going to do to Asher this weekend. And if I were you, I’d be terrified of that. But you also need to be terrified of me. Because this time around, I’m not just going to ‘fight for SCW’ or for the ‘standard’ I believe in. I’m not going to just ‘fight to give the world title the respect it deserves’.

Selena slowly shakes her head. You have made it so fighting simply for those ideals isn’t enough this time around. You have made it that personal for me and for my wife. And there are only a few people that have made it this personal for me in eight long years, Cid, but you and Asher are two of them. So, at Apocalypse, when they ring that bell, I’ll do more than just represent SCW and more than simply beat Cid Turner for a second time... 

At Apocalypse, I will finish the task of destroying A/C Unit’s fantasy when I knock the hell out of Cid Turner!

The Snow Queen’s voice echoes as she roars that last line before settling back to the cold tone she had.

I emphatically defeat Cid Turner and Syren, Deanna and I end the A/C Unit fantasy. We end the lies, we end the BS, the false title, and I do my part not as “The Face of SCW” or “The Snow Queen” or the world champion but as the wife of Deanna Frost. I do it as Selena Frost!

Because, regardless of the insults you throw, through all of this, Cid, one absolute certain exists. That is, throughout my entire career, I have risen and fallen as me. Not a brainwasher. Not a manipulator, not a princess-ripoff, not a liar, but as me. All the losses, the four years of waiting, the fails and successes, it’s all been with me being me. Why is this personal? Because I love my wife and you and Asher crossed a line. That isn’t for some draw. That is me being in love with Deanna Frost.

And the reason you hate me – the REAL reason you hate me, Cid – is because you don’t have the first damn clue how do that.

The Winter’s Knight tilts her head, her look that might resemble a semblance of pity. You have changed your ideology so many times, you’ve turned your back on the SCW fans that supported you, you screwed over the people that respected you, you’ve disrespected legends and icons and the company that heralded you as a Hall of Famer, you’ve disrespected the world championship, you’ve basically become a stalker to a Hall of Famer and now you’re a supposed ‘savior’ with a god’s power in your belly...

Selena gives a slight pause. All because you don’t know who Cid Turner truly is. And that notion terrifies you. Without Asher telling you who you are, without Holly Adams telling you who you are… you don’t know. And it scares the hell out of you. And instead of facing that fear – FACING that unknown - you bury your head in the sand and ignore the reality around you for as long as you can.

You ignore Syren saying “No!” to your advances, chalking it up to her being manipulated.
You ignore that I may actually beat you again, saying our last match was what? A fluke?
You ignore that Asher is using you despite the world screaming it every night to you.
You ignore the wrongs he does like piledriving Syren, the woman you supposedly love.
You ignore your moral code and allow yourself to just follow his lead – shoving my wife just because you lost a match.

You are a mindless, desperate fool that’s too scared to be anything on his own. Too scared to truly stand on his own as the SCW World Champion. Too scared to find out who the hell Cid Turner truly is on his own. You are a parasite in your own right, Cid, just like Asher is. And at Apocalypse? That isn’t going to change – but you using the world championship… this game of yours and Asher’s to keep your delusions alive? They will end.

Selena sits back in her chair. Last time, Cid, you got a much needed dose of reality at Taking Hold of the Flame and since then, you’ve done all you can with Asher to deny it, refute it, twist it, and vomit it out of your system, but it’s still there. It’s in those eyes of desperation.

At Apocalypse, I am going to give you another much needed dose of reality. The difference? Unlike that night in June, it won’t just be the end of a match. It won’t just be an end to your dreams with the SCW World Championship. This will be the end of A/C Unit’s hold on the world title. It will be the end of you and Asher’s claims of “Co-World Championship”. This Sunday, there will still ONLY be one SCW World Champion and her name will be ‘Selena Frost’!

And as for the name of Cid Turner? Well, you can claim Co-this and co-that with Asher – hell, photoshop your faces on some pictures with the title if you have to. But you will need to find something else to define who you are, Cid. Because you and Asher will scream “Co-World Champions”…

And nobody in SCW will believe you.

Not anyone in the back.
Not anyone in the audience.
And sure as hell not the SCW World Champion!

Believe it!

The camera focuses on Selena and the World title before entirely fading to black.
[Image: hffOaUZ.png]
SCW Supreme Champion
6x SCW World Champion
4x SCW World Tag-Team Champion
2x SCW United States Champion
3x SCW Adrenaline Champion
SCW Television Champion
Longest Reigning SCW World Champion (234 days)
Winner of Shot of Adrenaline Tournament (2016)
Winner of Best of the Best Tournament (2016)
Winner of Trios Tournament (2018)
Winner of U.S. Championship Tournament (2020)
Winner of World Championship Tournament (2023)
Winner of Tactical Warfare (2014, 2019)
Winner of Elimination Chamber (2015)
Winner of Roofed Cage Match (2019)
Winner of Last Person Standing Match (2019)
The Unbelievable Main Event (2021-2023)
Winner of Double Jeopardy Match (2022)
Winner of EOTY Invitational (2023)
Female Wrestler of the Year (2016, 2021, 2022)
Tag-Team of the Year (2020 - w/ Regan Street)
Match of the Year (2018, 2019, 2021, 2023)
Feud of the Year (2014, 2019)

[Image: 34zetxl.png]
OOC: Posted in two parts due to length

Project: Black Ice

”Family Pow-wows”

The VanHohenheim Home
Maplewood, New Jersey
September 22nd, 2021
1:56pm

Alejandra VanHohenheim could hear the birds chirping brightly as she tended to her garden, watering the tomato plants, followed by the cucumbers growing near them. The wind blew her medium-length white-and-black hair a little, though not enough to really distract her, as well as the ends of her light-blue and white plaid button-up shirt. She had chosen leggings to wear to reduce the slight chill of autumn that the winds were bringing in.

With a sigh, Alejandra gazed upon her garden of vegetables, her dark eyes making a sweep across the fields. She saw flowers of various colors throughout, vegetables in a specific section, and even an apple tree on the farthest side.

She both loved and hated this time of year. She loved watching her garden transform slowly, various plants and trees either blooming into full-bright colors of ripe vegetables or the leaves changing to their fall colors of red, orange and yellow. Spring was always beautiful to the woman, but fall had become her favourite season over the years, unlike her husband, who favoured the aforementioned spring (‘the beginning of all things new’ he had said). With a son that doesn’t really care and a daughter that adores the winter… she thought with a smile. This family has the whole set.

Sadly, the winter brought with it the heavy snow, especially in the temperate world of New Jersey, meaning these colors of brightness and fresh ripeness of the vegetables were like the swan song of these plants. In a way, as she had every year, Alejandra was saying goodbye to these plants. In a few weeks, a month or two at best, it would be too cold to grow anything. Her plants would be gone till the next season and she’d have to start over from scratch and it would take many weeks, perhaps months in some cases, till she would see the fruits of her labour again. 

It’s all on borrowed time… the woman thought with a smile, reaching out a steady hand to turn a tomato gently as it hung on the vine. Still, to have these moments every year…

Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a car, distant at first but growing louder as it approached. From her spot in the backyard, Alejandra turned her gaze and could just make out the driveway and, thus, the dark blue Jeep Liberty that had driven onto it to park. With a smile stretching from ear to ear, she pushed herself up using her hands on her knees, leaving a little dirt on her black leggings, and quickly moved down the small hill (lined with flat stones and surrounded by more of her flowers). She had just made it to the driveway’s edge when she saw the doors to the vehicle open and a boy, wearing red shorts and a light blue t-shirt leapt out (though it was only a foot or two leap). Looking around quickly, the five-year old’s eyes settled on Alejandra before he was, once again in motion, scampering the short distance and barely giving the gardener a chance to kneel down to catch him in her arms.

“Grandma!” David hollered out, giving Alejandra as big a hug as he could.
“Hello!” Alejandra laughed, more remarked about- “Gods, you’ve grown!”
“Yep!” the boy beamed. “I’m almost four feet tall!”
“That right? You’re close to me!” the older woman smiled, standing to her full five-foot-five height to measure the boy playfully. “Any day now.”

She looked up upon hearing another door closing in time to see the older girl approaching her. First thing Alejandra noticed was how like her mothers the child’s hair was. The second thing were the black, lace gloves that covered the girl’s entire hands and forearms, almost reaching to her elbows. The poor child. Alejandra thought. She had been told by the mothers what had happened to her granddaughter, and while she wasn’t a truly violent woman, she never wanted to meet the boy that had done this – because she was certain that ‘non-violent streak’ would go right out the window.

“Hello, grandmother.” Elsianna smiled politely, genuine affection in her voice, causing Alejandra to smile and give her as equally loving a hug as she had given David.
“Hello, sweetie.” She smiled.

She was beyond happy, she could say that. It had been so long – nearly two years in fact – since her family had visited her. And while she had seen her daughter once or twice in that time… it had not been under the best circumstances, her daughter going through the trials of having her spouse-

“Mom!” came the loud voice from the side of the car, causing all three involved in the ‘greetings’ to turn to see the woman in a flowing orange and white shirt, red hair practically glowing in the afternoon sun. She wore large, round sunglasses and leggings like Alejandra (minus the dirt) and in her arms was a third child, much smaller than the other two.

With a grand smile, Alejandra made her way over to the woman, quickly enveloping her in the biggest hug she could muster, careful to include the three-year old as well. “It is so good to see you, dear.” She replied, her voice shaking a little. “I can’t even…” she shook her head.

“I know.” Deanna replied with a smile, returning the hug with one arm, also careful of little Amiliah. Unlike the family before her, Alejandra had not been allowed to travel and be with her daughter/daughter-in-law and grandchildren during Deanna’s incarceration. Had not even been able to keep in contact with Deanna – the last memory Alejandra had of the woman was her being dragged off in a police cruiser with Selena with her over two years ago.

“I’m just glad you’re free again.” She whispered, squeezing Deanna’s shoulders affectionately.
“No more than me.” Deanna laughed. “Prison food can’t compare to a New York burger.” 
“Or perhaps…” Alejandra teased. “Your mother-in-law’s cooking?”
“Well…maybe.” Deanna played along. “Do you need help?”
“Well, maybe I-“

The older woman stopped again as she heard the last door open and close, the driver stepping out. She wore black running shoes, blue jeans and a color-block, round neck long sleeve t-shirt of various faded, darker colors that seemed to flow at certain parts and hug certain other curves. Unlike Deanna, she had removed her sunglasses, holding them in her hand as she approached the group. As she drew closer, Alejandra’s dark eyes picked up several differences, as she had with the others. First, and foremost, was the lack of hair. There was still much of it and it was still the amazing platinum-blonde-white that was common with her husband’s side of the family (and somewhat of her own if her hair was any indication), but gone was the long braid she had associated with the woman for as long as she had known her. Additionally, her trained eyes picked up the black markings of ink on the girl’s shoulder, the corners of some kind of tattoo peeking out from the neck-hole in the girl’s shirt. It was far less noticeable than the similar one Alejandra saw on Deanna, the material around the shoulder on the redhead’s shirt thinner in the arms.

Still, the platinum-blonde was beautiful, and Alejandra’s heart jumped a little in love at the sight of her daughter. As she was about to speak, however, Deanna’s words cut in.

“Come on, kids.” She gently ordered, readjusting the young girl in her arms. “Let’s get inside and say hi to ‘Grandpa’!”
“Okay!” exclaimed David, eagerly following his mother, Elsianna quietly following. They were inside the house and out of sight before Alejandra could say a word. Weird… she thought before turning back to the woman still standing before her.

Alone in the driveway with her daughter, the dark-skinned woman gave a soft smile before opening her arms up to her. “Hello, Selena.” She gently wrapped her arms around her, holding her gently but lovingly.
“Hi, mom.” Selena whispered, returning the embrace. “Sorry it’s been so long.”
“I’m just glad you’re here now.” Alejandra replied. “After everything that’s happened…”

Selena, the slightly taller woman, nodded against her mother’s head before disengaging herself from the hug. “I should have kept you more informed.” She tried. “I should have brought the kids over at least once, but I-“

Her hands still in Selena’s, the mother squeezed the Snow Queen’s hands gently, quietly prompting her to calm herself. “Sweetheart…” she whispered, earning Selena’s full attention once more. “Your father and I don’t have much to stand on in demanding more than what you give. The years of your life we missed. The birthdays, the school years, the sports and plays-“
“I never played sports or plays.” Selena admitted with a shrug. “Not really Anastasia’s wish for me…”

The dark-skinned woman gave a good natured tilt of her head as she regarded her daughter. “The point is… I don’t have a right to chastise you for how much of your life you wish to share with Jonathan and I after not being there for most of it.”

The two stood there for a moment, simply in each other’s presence. For Selena, she wanted to explain everything to her mother. How it was different with her than it was with Jonathan. That she WANTED a good relationship with her, the kind she never had with Anastasia DeCarlo, her stepmother. She WANTED to spend more time with her… but that would mean, to be fair (again, that notion…), she’d have to spend more time with Jonathan, reliving that truth that he wasn’t Donovan Frost. While she had never truly had a good mother figure in her life, Selena had been fortunate to have a good father in her life. Compared to that – compared to Donovan – Jonathan couldn’t possible compete. It was a reality that Selena could not get past every time she looked at the man. That, despite his best efforts, he wasn’t her father – and THAT was truly unfair. To him, to Alejandra and to Selena – the Snow Queen knew all this and wanted to explain it that way to her mother. 

“It’s harder with Jonathan…” she was able to admit. “I still can’t…” she moved her hands a little, trying to explain the situation. Dark eyes scanned the Snow Queen’s actions before Alejandra nodded her head.
“I get it.” She sighed. “Trust me.”

“How did you do it?” Selena asked, the question suddenly coming to her. “How long did you know Donovan?”
“Eight years.” Alejandra smiled. “I travelled abroad in my university years to Anchorage. After I graduated, I stayed. Then…well, your step-mother and her family got in the way. Still, your father and I kept in touch. And you know the rest of the story…”

Selena nodded her head. She did know the story. How Alejandra had been in love with her father for years but had been bullied and harassed into fleeing Nome, only to come back one night just to see Donovan. A night that ended in Selena’s conception, the subsequent secret relationship they tried to hide and then, finally, the revelation of that secret and Alejandra having to flee Nome and, this time, never return, Donovan trapped for fear of his daughter’s life. And Selena none the wiser.

“When you were reunited – how did you get past his amnesia?” Selena asked. “You, perhaps more than me – he wasn’t the man you knew or-“ she found she couldn’t explain the question – what she truly desired to convey.

“I didn’t.” sighed Alejandra. “When I realized who he was – who he had been…” she corrected herself. “I fought it. First, I denied it. The idea of him finding me? What were the odds? I’m not even sure how it happened – was it the DeCarlos? The Scythes? Were they mocking me by throwing him at my feet with no memory of us?”

Selena winced at that thought. It sounded just like them, especially the Scythes. Not only to cast out a discarded “tool” but in a way that would cause the most damage…

“But still…” Alejandra continued. “I knew that I couldn’t just abandon him. Lost, scared, not knowing who he was?”
“You looked after him?”
The older woman nodded. “Helped him get back on his feet.”
“Did you ever tell him about his old life?”
“When he was ready, yes.” Alejandra sighed. “But I had to be honest with him. I knew that if either of us showed up in Nome, you’d be endangered. And I told him that.”
“It took time, but he eventually – he chose the name Jonathan VanHohenheim.” She gave a wave of her hand. “I’m getting off-track.” She added a little laugh. “At first, I had to keep telling myself that he wasn’t Donovan. He wasn’t the man that I loved-“ for a moment, she cast her eyes towards the medium-sized house that stood just on the other side of the driveway, where Deanna and the others had gone. “I had to remind myself that while he looked and sounded like my Donovan, he wasn’t.”

“But…” Selena’s voice trailed off.

“But one day… he kissed me.” She smiled. “I was shocked, stunned, really. But the more I thought it over, the more I came to realize that I wasn’t shocked that he had – I was shocked that I didn’t care if he was Jonathan or Donovan. I loved both of them.”
Selena’s eyes widened in surprise at the revelation, prompting her mother to continue.

“And one day, we were sitting outside – he was resting his head on my lap, asleep.” Alejandra recalled. “And I remember looking at him and I asked myself who he was – Jonathan or Donovan… and it… I can’t explain to completely.”

“Can you… can you try?” Selena asked, a part of her desperate to hear.
“It was an inner peace within myself. Maybe he would never be entirely ‘my Donovan’. But neither was he an entirely different person in ‘Jonathan’.” She sighed, smiling up at her daughter. “So much of your father is still very much part of Jonathan. He doesn’t have Donovan’s experiences, but he has his heart and loyalty and so many of the things that I fell in love with him in the first place. And both men loved me… and you… with all their heart.”

Slowly, Selena exhaled a breath. It wasn’t a ‘fixer’ to her issues with the man, but she was happy that her mother had gotten the love-story she deserved, even if it was a bit different.

“Speaking of love…” Alejandra cast her eyes back to the house. “Did I feel a cold chill when you came close to Deanna?”
“Oh ha ha.” Selena huffed. “Cause I’m the-“
“No, hunny.” Alejandra interjected. “I mean, legitimately… are you and Deanna fighting?”

Selena’s eyes widened. “How- how did-“
“Oh please!” Alejandra laughed. “You get, I assume, matching tattoos-“ she gestured to Selena’s left shoulder where the snowflake tattoo was. “But as soon as you get close, she scampers inside? It’s been a while, but I can tell something is up.”

“It’s…” Selena opened her mouth to speak before a long sigh escaped her. “A mild disagreement about work. Nothing more.”
“That right?” the dark-skinned woman raised an eyebrow. 
“Yeah.” Selena shrugged, moving past her mother to head towards the house.

The moment Selena opened the door, she was assailed by the amazing smell of cooked fish – at least she thought it was fish. She could hear the sizzling coming from another room and the sound of a loud, overhead fan near that sound as well. The next thing she heard were voices, though those were harder to fully distinguish in terms of words. Carefully removing her shoes, Selena moved out of the way to allow her mother into the room, following the woman up the few steps that lead into the main room that was the kitchen area.

It was there, amidst the blue wallpaper and white fridge/freezer and oven (the house much smaller than her ‘Forever Home’ in Manhattan) that she spied the family. David was talking about something to the ‘chief’ as he worked over the stove-elements, Deanna was standing nearby them with Amiliah still in her arms and Elsianna was setting the table in an adjacent room.

“Smells good!” exclaimed Alejandra as she walked into the homely kitchen, earning the chief’s attention as she stood on her tip-toes to kiss him on the cheek. Earning the attention of her own family, Selena saw Deanna’s eyes slightly narrow at Selena, almost imperceptibly, before suddenly moving to help Elsianna set the table, her expression seemingly bright as per usual. It was enough for Selena to give a small sigh, though that silenced when the cook turned around to face her, having washed his hands and now drying them with a hand-towel.

“Hey, kid.” Jonathan smiled, his voice seemingly calm but there was a slight shake in it, barely noticeable. “Good to see you.”

He’s trying… her mind chastised. He’s still trying so damn hard…

“Hello, father.” She offered with a smile, quietly and slowly moving across the kitchen space to wrap both arms around her father’s broader frame. He was a good five inches taller than her and his frame was more like Xander Valentine’s from observation, dressed in a red and black flannel shirt. Still, he was gentle in his hug, releasing the second he felt Selena pull away. 

“Love what you’ve done with your hair.” He offered. 
“You too.” Selena remarked, observing the combed back hair with white (Frost) sides and trimmed beard that circled his mouth and chin. “Grandma would have killed me for cutting it-“ she said without thinking, immediately mentally cursing herself and casting her gaze down at her hands.

“Would she?” Jonathan asked, seemingly unaffected. “Alejandra’s told me a bit about her…” his voice trailed off before turning back to Selena. “You, uh… you wouldn’t happen to have any pictures of her, would you?” again, that shake in his voice, but this time, it almost sounded like guilt. As if he was ashamed to burden Selena with this request.

Sadly, Selena could only shake her head. “I’m afraid she died long before we had cellphones, father. Any photos of her are buried back in Manhattan… but I can try and find them soon as I can!”
The man laughed it off with a wave of his hand. “No rush. No need to trouble yourself.” He assured. “So… she was a hair-girl or something? Like a barber?”

“No.” Selena answered, finding herself getting swept up in the conversation as she finally spied the fish she had been smelling – pan-seared salmon… her mind jumped to Cid Turner’s little mention of it in his promo last Breakdown – something about being Vegan and not ordering the pan-seared salmon.

If it smelled this good… Selena thought. I can’t imagine him staying that way- if it even IS true…

The snap-hiss of a new fish caught her attention, bringing her back to the present as Jonathan had taken off the cooked salmon, placing it on a plate for Alejandra to take into the adjacent dining room table.

“Sorry-“ Selena half-huffed with a half-smile. “Irene – grandmother – was huge on ‘family’ and ‘heritage’. When I was born, she was the biggest fan of my hair. She ordered me to never cut it short. She thought it was a gift from our bloodline and represented the Frost family and if I cut it too short, I might lose it…”

Rather than laugh, Jonathan contemplated the woman’s explanation for a moment. “I remember a couple of people trying to take that hair from you.” He began slowly. “There was that one girl that wanted it – your ex I think – and then that other guy that dressed in fur… what was his name?”

“Dressed in fur?” Selena asked, somewhat confused. Who was her father talking to?
“You know, you wrestled him – kinda fruity? Is that the right word?” his eyes went wide in concern. “I don’t mean to offend anyone-“
Selena’s eyes widened. “Oh! You mean Vixen Cain! I thought you were talking about outside work and I was like ‘what guy do I know who wears fur’?”
“Oh come on, kid.” Jonathan chuckled. “Give me some credit. I’m gonna watch my daughter wrestle.”
“We both do.” Alejandra added, returning to his side. “Which is why this…” she gestured towards Selena’s forehead, towards the fading red line on the platinum-blonde’s forehead. “Doesn’t surprise us.”

Hearing that remark, Selena’s eyes flew towards the dining room; to the emerald eyes that were glaring at her (proving the redhead had also heard that comment) that quickly turned away upon seeing sapphire eyes.

“Got that from me, I’m sure.” With a free hand, Jonathan rapped the side of his head near the white in his hair. “Hard head.” He added. “Damn cave-in couldn’t do much but jostle it.” He added in lame humor, though it had the opposite effect on the Snow Queen, reminding her of the current truth she felt regarding this man.

“I’m grateful that’s all it did.” Selena said aloud but was surprised when those same words were said in tandem with hers, spoken by her mother. The two women looked at one another for a moment, a content smile coming to Alejandra’s lips before she turned to grab some glasses in a cupboard to take to the table. “Water, Selena? Milk? We have wine.”
“Water, please.” Selena replied, her eyes still on her mother.
“Can I try some wine?” Elsianna tried quietly as she stood in the dining room. “I’ve…I’ve read the fancy nobles in stories drink it.”
“Not till you’re 18.” 

Surprisingly, this remark came not from one or two but all FOUR parents standing in the room at the same time. Selena, Deanna, Alejandra, and Jonathan gazed at one another before the older parents were laughing at the ‘timing’ of such an event. “Parents, right?” the man offered.

“Yeah.” Selena smiled, trying to catch Deanna’s eyes, but the redhead had, once again, avoided her. “Guess the mind-works are similar.” She added.

There was a moment of silence, with Jonathan’s eyes shifting from his daughter to his daughter-in-law and back, the two on opposite ends of the space: Selena beside him in the kitchen and Deanna in the dining-area with Elsianna. With the initial elation of seeing his daughter and her wife gone, the man’s senses were returning and his observations were beginning to take hold.

“Hey, kid…” he muttered under his break as he worked on his current salmon-piece, ensuring it was cooking properly, adding some of the cooking oil to the top of it with a spoon. When Selena’s attention was on him and she was close enough to him, he whispered. “Trouble in paradise?” 

“What?” Selena asked, instinctively dropping her voice in a whisper to match her father’s.

Without saying a word, VanHohenheim lifted the spoon he had been using and slowly gestured towards the redhead in the dining room before pointing it towards Selena. “Things seem…” he added, voice low.

“They’re fine.” Selena sighed. “A mild disagreement about work-“ she repeated as she had for her mother. “Nothing more.”
“Uh-huh…” Jonathan clicked his tongue against the roof of his mouth. “Maybe I’m not the best person to offer some insight… but when people say that, usually means there IS a problem… and it’s usually the man’s fault.”
“Neither of us is ‘the man’, father.” Selena shook her head. “Case you didn’t notice.”
“Doesn’t mean there isn’t someone that’s at fault here, hunny.” He added, a knowing smile gracing his lips at his clever word-trap.

Selena merely eyed her father before sighing. “Let’s not worry about it now.” She tried. “I just… I wanted to spend time with you and mom. I assume Peter is still-“
“Still wandering on his high-horse and whatnot.” Alejandra sighed.

Peter VanHohenheim was the son of Jonathan and Alejandra, making him Selena’s biological brother. That was the extent of Selena’s knowledge of him. The near twenty-year old had had a falling out with his family for one reason or another and then left to go to university in California. Despite sending money to help him, Jonathan and Alejandra had not heard from him since he had left.

“He’s just gotta find himself.” Jonathan replied. “If that isn’t with us, well… we’ve done all we can.”

There was a bit of hurt in his voice but it wasn’t a decision that was made easily. Given how important family was to Selena, she could only imagine it was the same for her parents. But had she not done the same when joining SCW? Turned her back on the ‘family’ she had known? Even if the DeCarlos were far, far worse than the VanHohenheims, she couldn’t chastise Peter for his choices without sounding like a hypocrite.

“Alright.” Called out Jonathan as he finished the last salmon. “We’ve got salmon. We’ve got veggies! Everyone has drinks? Let’s eat!”

Without another word, everyone sat at the dinner table to enjoy the lunch made. For the most part, it was David and Elsianna that held the conversation, answering questions that Jonathan and Alejandra asked them regarding “school in Germany”, “the Schonburg Castle”, “friends they had made”, etc. Selena and Deanna only chimed in a few times, but neither spoke to one another or added to the other’s words.

If the hosts had any doubt about the ‘rough-patch’ between Selena and Deanna, those doubts were gone as they watched the two, Selena at one end of the table, beside Jonathan, and Deanna at the other end.

Despite this, the food was beyond good, both women said so, but when both had accidentally offered to do the dishes at the same time, Deanna had quickly recoiled back, saying she needed to put Amiliah down for a nap.

Alone in the kitchen, Selena scrubbed one of the plates with the soft brush, trying not to shatter the plate in her frustration. It had been like this since that night in Vancouver – since Selena had put her foot down on Deanna’s range of ‘involvement’ as a manager in SCW. It’s for her own good… the Snow Queen repeated in her mind for the umpteenth time since that night. 

Why couldn’t Deanna see that? Why couldn’t she see that people like Asher and Cid, Minerva and the Jackals – SCW was full of desperate people that wanted what Selena currently had: The SCW World Championship. And unlike Selena, these people didn’t care how they got it, long as they got it. For Odin’s sake, didn’t the war between Minerva and Chris Cannon prove that to Deanna? SCW was dangerous! It was brutal! And there were those that would stop at nothing to get what they wanted. Why couldn’t Deanna see that Selena’s decision was necessary? 

But no! Selena thought bitterly. She has to go on with this petulant act of ‘the silent treatment’…

A bit of water splashed up onto the counter as Selena scrubbed harder until a pair of hands reached into the sink and gently took the plate and brush from her. Surprised, the platinum-blonde turned her head.

“I better take this before you scrub the leaves right off the plates.” Alejandra remarked, referring to the autumn-leaf designs etched into all the plates (fitting for the season).
“S-sorry.” Selena sighed, placing her trembling hands on the counter as Alejandra shuffled to Selena’s previous spot in front of the sink, her hands moving instinctively to clean the dishes.

“So…” Alejandra sighed. “’Mild disagreement about work’, huh?”

She merely turned her head to Selena, who was now leaning against the wall, her eyes staring up at the ceiling and the whirling ceiling fan above them.

“You fucked up, didn’t you?” Alejandra whispered.
“I don’t know…” Selena sighed, looking down to massage the bridge of her nose between her eyes with her thumb and finger. “It sounded like the right thing to say at the time…and it’s for her own good-“
“Oh jeez.” Alejandra rolled her eyes as she heard the last part.
“What?” asked Selena in exasperation.
“When has ‘it’s for your own good’ ever been the rationale to a ‘good’ idea, Selena? Ever? When you start thinking for someone else, that’s when the trouble starts…”

“I’m not thinking for her.” Selena tried. “I just didn’t want her to do something stupid…”
“Does she feel that way?” Alejandra asked, turning to regard her daughter. “Or does she feel like you’re forcing her to be something or do something? Like this is no longer a partnership?”

The platinum-blonde opened her mouth to speak for a moment, but instead stopped herself, opting to take a deep breath to calm herself. She wasn’t going to lose her temper to her mother – the older woman didn’t deserve that.

“Mother…” she explained. “What I do is dangerous, right?”
“Seems to be.” Shrugged the other woman.
“Okay. Well, it is filled with a lot of dangerous people. I’ve been put in the hospital a few times by those dangerous people. I’ve got scars- here-“

Pulling up the side of her shirt, Selena revealed the long scars that ran down the sides of her ribs, healed memories of the business end of a cat-of-nine-tails made of barbed-wire. Alejandra winced at the sight, prompting Selena to lower her shirt.

“It gets brutal and scary and it’s taken me years to be able to know how to handle that. Deanna hasn’t had those years, and she was ready to just run in and get obliterated… I couldn’t allow her to do that.”
“So, she’s mad that you stopped her.” Alejandra nodded her head. “I knew that would be an issue.”
“Knew?”
“Your father told you we watch you work, sweetheart. We both saw what happened – that look you gave Deanna…”
“You did?” Selena asked, a pang of nervousness hitting her. She had expected them to see her get nailed with the title – hard to miss – but to see the look that had caused all this. Damn cameramen… 
“I did.” Alejandra half-sung. “And if that’s what’s causing this ‘mild-disagreement’… then I need to side with Deanna.”

Sapphire eyes went wide with a slight hurt. “Why?” Selena asked, grateful her mother had closed the door to this room, separating the family room where the rest of the family was.
“Because you took away Deanna’s choice.” Alejandra replied. “Yes, she may have gotten hurt. But don’t you think she knew that when she made the choice to help you? Doesn’t she make that choice every time she goes with you to those arenas?”

“Mom…” Selena tried but Alejandra shook her head.

“No, Selena.” She ordered, her tone almost… parental? It was a shock to Selena to feel that, like she was being taught a lesson by her mother. A mix of awe and humiliation was growing in her, the confusion of the two keeping her silent as Alejandra dried her hands off with a hand towel. “You gave her that look – made that decision – because you think you know better.”
“I…I do.” Selena tried. “That isn’t a bad thing. I’ve just spent more years wrestling. I know how dangerous-“
“No.” Alejandra interjected again. “You think you know Deanna better. If it had been another person, would you have stopped them with that look? Anyone else?”

Of course I would have… Selena’s mind screamed, except the words couldn’t be voiced. Because the truth was, she wouldn’t have. She hadn’t stopped Syren with her ‘gaze’ when the Alpha Female had run down to the ring to save her from an Asher/Cid beatdown weeks ago. She hadn’t stopped Bree Lancaster from getting involved months ago when she had run in to help Selena against a different beatdown. She never stopped Regan or Kelcey Wallace… 

She had been helped – hell, Selena could say it- she’d been saved countless times by superstars and even managers in the case of Mikalea Street… never raised a hand or eye to stop them. But with Deanna? She hadn’t just stopped her. She had forbade her from ever doing it… 

“She said I treat I her like a porcelain doll…” Selena whispered, looking down at her hands.
The older woman gave a sad smile. “I believe that.” 

Taking a few steps towards Selena, the shorter woman reached out to take her small pale hands into her own. “Selena… that woman survived prison, and from what you told me, much worse…”

Selena’s mind flashed back to the truth of that statement – of Frankfurt and Queenie – before she slammed her mind shut against the memories.

“The fact that she can still function – can even still smile…” Alejandra shook her head in disbelief. “I don’t know how she manages to do that every day. I don’t know how she can still be… her… after everything she’s been through.”

“You have to stop thinking of her as fragile…” she added with a whisper. “All she is asking of you is the same thing you’ve been asking of her for six years.”

Lifting her head, Selena’s were wide. She had never considered that notion. For six years, since she had fallen in love with Deanna and vice versa, she had made Deanna come to terms with the life Selena lead. The dangers. The threats. Some far greater than SCW. But for those six years, Deanna had trusted Selena to walk into wars and feuds and battles that had, no doubt, terrified the redhead. Still, never, not once, had Deanna ‘pulled rank’ and ordered Selena to ‘stay put’ like the Snow Queen had in Vancouver…

With an aggravated sigh, Selena turned from Alejandra, reaching towards the door. Turning the doorknob, she opened it and entered the large family room. She saw the dark brown carpet and the two large, leather recliners, a television of moderate size at the far well. Elsianna was on a dark blue coach, reading a book while Amiliah sat and tumbled on the floor with some of the toys the VanHohenheims kept for her. David, however, was sitting at a table with Jonathan on the other – a chess board between them. As for Deanna-

Selena’s eyes scanned the room but the redhead was already in motion, pushing herself out of her chair quietly and making her way down the adjourning hall towards the bedroom. Turning left, she entered the room and quietly closed the door, causing Selena to close her eyes in resignation.

“Mom…” came David’s voice, the boy unaware of the issues surrounding his parents. “Help.” He whined.

Without a word, Selena quietly moved across the room stand by her son. He was playing the ‘white pieces’ while Jonathan played the ‘black pieces’.
“You always did enjoy playing the black pieces…” she whispered without thinking, her mind running back to the many times she had played with Donovan Frost back in Nome.
“Did I?” Jonathan asked.
“Yep. You also had a pension for beating the heck out of children at this game.” She added with a tease.
“He took my big piece!” David whined, pointing to the large piece in Jonathan’s hand.

With a smile, Selena turned her head towards the board, quickly scanning the locations of all the pieces. “That’s the queen, David. But check this out…” carefully, she moved her hand across the board, taking one of the white pawns and moving it the one space needed to reach Jonathan’s side of the board. “When a pawn reaches the end of the board, you exchange it and get back a piece you lost.”
“I can?” David asked, wide-eyed.
“Sure. Just look at your grandpa and say, ‘I’d like my queen back on the board, please.’”
Looking up, David eyed Jonathan. “I’d like my queen back on the board, please.”

With a huff (fake as it was), Jonathan returned the large chess piece back on the board in place for the pawn. “See?” Selena exclaimed, running a hand through her son’s hair.
“Peanut gallery.” Jonathan fake-grumbled.
“Lighten up, father.” Selena smirked. “You could stand to lose a game or two, I’m sure.”
“Yes, he can!” came the voice from the kitchen, Alejandra still working on the dishes.

For a moment, Selena’s eyes moved over to the hallway Deanna had gone down. She knew what she wanted to do, but part of her was beyond terrified of another fight breaking out and-

“Mother?”

Selena’s head turned to see her oldest, Elsianna, standing by her, her current book of “Jane Eyre” in her hands. “Are you going to talk to mom?” the innocent child asked. “She’s seemed unhappy the last few days.”
“You’ve noticed?” Selena asked quietly, earning a nod from the child.
“She keeps telling me that ‘everything is fine’ but…”
“But what, snowflake?” Selena asked kneeling down to regard the young girl.

“Why hasn’t she hugged you? Or kissed you, Mother?” Elsianna finally asked. “And when I went to your room last night – when I had a nightmare, only mom was there. Were you at work? Or training?”

Selena almost laughed sadly at that. She had NOT, in fact, been at work or even training. Since her fight with Deanna, Selena had been sleeping on the couch in her office every night, staying away from the redhead until one of them apologized or they talked about this. Which looks like it’s gotta be me…

With a sigh, Selena gently kissed her daughter’s forehead. “I’m going to talk to her right now.” She assured. “We’re going to talk this out and everything will be fine.”
“Promise?”
“I promise.” She gave another smile, more playful, to the child before pushing herself to her feet. “Father, can you watch the kids?”

“Yep.” Jonathan replied without hesitation. “Go apologize and tell her it was your fault.”
“It wasn’t entirely-“ Selena started.
“Yes, it was!” Came both Alejandra’s voice and Jonathan’s at the same time, though from different rooms in the house.

With a huff, Selena turned on her socked foot and walked down the hallway until she reached the door. Quietly, she turned the doorknob, grateful that it wasn’t locked, and pushed the door open to the bedroom. It was a large room with a queen-sized bed. The sheets were dark red, possibly maroon, and fit the wooden floors and wooden headboard, which Deanna sat against.

Without a word, Selena quietly stepped into the room. “Can I…” she tried. “Can I please talk to you.”

Turning her head to regard her, Deanna gave no verbal answer, but neither did she move from the bed to flee like she had the entire day from the Snow Queen. Her arms remained crossed across her chest.

“Alright.” Selena sighed. “I didn’t…That is-“ she stammered, moving further into the room. “I hate what I said and-“ Gods, why was finding the right words for ‘I’m sorry’ so damn hard?! 

Reaching the end of the bed, Selena sat down on the mattress, rubbing her temples as she tried to think of the right thing to say. “I didn’t – well, I did – but it was wrong of me to.” Another broken attempt, which caused the young wrestler to groan a little before falling back, her back landing on the bed as she lay on it, her eyes staring at the white ceiling.

“I can’t say I didn’t mean what I said, because I did.” She finally got out. “But I was wrong to say it!” she added quickly. “I was wrong to think that was how this relationship should work in SCW – and you know it’s only in SCW, right? I’ve never thought of you as anything less than my partner in everything, right?”

When no answer came, Selena turned her head a little to catch a glimpse of Deanna. The redhead still had her arms crossed, her eyes still on the window on the far side of the room. 

With a sigh, Selena returned her head back to resting on the mattress and staring up at the ceiling. “I’m so use to having control there. Out here-“ she gestured around her with her hands. “I know I don’t have much control. The Scythes, Killjoy, most of my life – I don’t have control. But there…” she gave a sigh. “I’m The Face of SCW. I’m the World Champion. I’m this and that and that and this. And I know I can take whatever is thrown at me. I feel… I feel so much stronger there than I do in my own life.”

“And it’s a fallacy, I know.” She continued. “The real world is different than the rules of SCW. But I don’t feel so powerless there – I feel like I can take it. But I… I wouldn’t wish some of the punishment I’ve taken on anyone, least of all you.”

“When Asher threatened you in his promo… When he threatened to…” she slammed your eyes shut. 

”Deanna will suffer the fate you deserve… And I will stand over your fallen Deanna…”

“Maybe for the first time, I felt like I had no control. For the first time, I wasn’t the target, but you were – or you could have been…” the platinum-blonde’s voice hitched in her throat as she recalled the vile threats Asher had thrown out in his Breakdown promo. “And when I saw you want to run into that ring, all I could think about was how that would happen. And how I’d never forgive myself for letting it happen. What he’d do to you… but if I could stop you. If I stopped you from getting in the ring, what did I care if I took a few more shots if you were safe?”

“I…” Selena tried, lifting her hands up a little before dropping them down across her chest with a defeated huff. “I will ALWAYS try and protect you, Deanna. I can’t help it. Even if it costs me a match, or a title, or something far worse, I will ALWAYS try and keep you safe. But…I mean…” she took in a staggering breath. “You’re not a porcelain doll.” She whispered. “You are tougher than that… tougher than me.” She added. “You’ve been dealing with this lack of control – all this fear – since we started being together and never once have you broke.”

“I can’t promise I won’t, on instinct, do that again.” Selena whispered, her eyes still closed, feeling a few tears prickle the insides of her eyes. “But I can’t turn what we have – what we are to each other – into something unfair. I have to…” she sighed. “I have to trust you in my world of control – and relinquish that control over you. Because it doesn’t belong to me. YOU don’t belong to me-”

She suddenly felt a pair of hands grab her head and, almost roughly, lift it up before lowering it onto something. Selena’s eyes flew open as she felt her head suddenly supported a few inches off the mattress. Instead of the ceiling however, she saw emerald eyes glaring down at her.

“I DO belong to you.” Declared the redhead. “But YOU belong to me.” She stared down at her wife for several seconds, Selena’s head in her lap. 

“For so many years…” she spoke slowly. “I watched you get hurt. The scars –“ she didn’t have to name them. The woman knew Selena’s body like a map, able to recall every single scar that was on the Snow Queen’s body (with detail). “The injuries…and I couldn’t do anything about it. And I know you don’t want me helping you during your matches – to help you win like Ravyn or Holly do. I get that. But now? I know…” she stressed the last word. “I KNOW that I am stronger now. I know I can help you. I know that I can protect you. And when you told me not to – to stay there and watch... When you said those things outside the bus…”

Angrily, she reached up to press the palm of her hand into her eye, rubbing it in frustration. “I’ve never felt so pitiful in my life. To be told I was too weak to help… Because it came from you. The one person that…” taking a deep breath, Deanna shook herself a little to refocus. For Selena, the Snow Queen was too drawn into Deanna’s words to move, despite her own tears threatening to fall, anger at herself filling her.

“I promise-“ Selena tried, but Deanna’s small fingers covered her mouth, effectively silencing her.

“Don’t promise that things will be different.” Deanna whispered, leaning in close to Selena. “You just said you might do this all again. You might try and stop me again. Fine. But I LET you stop me last time.” Deanna whispered again, leaning closer still. “Next time, I won’t. And you can take your insecurities and your control and go to hell. Got it?”

Slowly, Selena nodded her head in response.

“Good.” Deanna whispered, leaning the rest of the way down to press her lips against Selena’s forehead. “Because I will always try to protect you…” she added, repeating the Snow Queen’s own words against Selena’s skin. “And you can’t change that about me.”

The two stayed like that for several moments, with Selena’s head in her wife’s lap. For the young wrestler, Selena couldn’t call this a ‘makeup’ between her and Deanna. She knew she had hurt her wife and it would take more than mere words to undo the damage she had done. But…if there was such a thing as a good start, she was certain she and Deanna had done that. 

And I will stand over your fallen Deanna! came the taunting memory, which Selena quickly silenced with all her might. And I will stand over your- 
She is NOT a porcelain doll… 

The new thought, the truth drawn out from her family, drowned out Asher’s pitiful threat. She is NOT a porcelain doll…

“Mom....” came the whine from the room outside. “Can you show me how you did that trick with the pawn? Grandpa took my Queen again!”

Despite themselves, the Frost wives both released a small pair of laughs before Deanna helped Selena off the bed, moving off it herself to join her.

“Coming, son.” Selena called out as she followed her wife out of the room and back to their family.

Every pawn is a potential queen… Selena thought as she walked, her eyes on Deanna ahead of her as they walked the hall. You’re not a pawn, Deanna… she mused with a smile. But what a queen you would be…
SCW Television Champion

[Image: tetXUW1.gif]

The camera opens up to reveal the interior of the Pepsi Center in Denver, Colorado, the site for tonight’s SCW pay-per-view, the first of the new season: Apocalypse. The camera sweeps across the last interior, taking in the empty seats and lack of people before settling on the ring, where streams of white and arctic-blue lights shine from various angles upon it. Drawing closer, the camera is able to catch the sight of a woman standing in the middle of the ring, the light bouncing a little off the championship that rests on her shoulder. She wears black jeans, a light-blue shirt under her leather jacket. Lifting her head, the World Champion looks around the arena, as if she can imagine how packed it will be in a matter of hours. 

She takes a slow breath before a small smile forms on her exhale. Everyone that’s coming to this pay-per-view… she speaks slowly. Everyone that will be watching it… the entire SCW Universe – every person knows that when you and I get in this ring, Cid Turner, they’re going to get a battle. Everyone knows that when one of us does something to the other one, we’ll make it a point to raise the bar. Finally, Selena turned her attention to the camera and her audience.

It started with an innocent title match announced over three months ago, then you sent your “friends” after me and hit me in the back of the head with a title. Then I beat you and took the world title from you, then you and Asher beat me down and laid your hands on my wife, then I humiliated you in a restaurant and beat you again, this time in a tag-match, then you beat me down with the title and made me bleed. she gives a slow shake of her head.

I can’t really give you points on ‘originality’ or ‘creativity’, Cid, but you see the point. Back and forth this has gone. We are talking about the two people that have, essentially, held the World Championship picture in their hands for the majority of this year. We have waged war, we have both successfully retained this title, and not a soul in SCW can doubt how much we both want to be SCW World Champion.

Holding up her free hand, Selena hand moves with her words. And you can feel it. You can feel it in the air, that electricity. The second round, the vortex of events – us one-upping each other, be it for ourselves or for revenge, it has come to a head here. It NEEDS to come to a head here. Selena Frost vs Cid Turner for the SCW World Championship! A match where you and I will beat each other up so badly that we will be feeling it for days, maybe even weeks!

She takes a pause to let that statement sink in. This is a match fueled by revenge between you and I – a match where the landscape of SCW will hang in the balance and be forever changed one way or the other.

With her free hand, she gestures to the camera. But for weeks, you have chosen to come out here and use the same tired lines over and over and over again about me being some kind of ‘evil sorcerer’ and that I’m ‘brainwashing the masses and some of the superstars’.

A long sigh escapes the Snow Queen. Tell me, Cid, do you even listen to the SCW Universe?

I’ve been loved and hated by these amazing people. I’ve been cheered, booed, hell one time I got a silent crowd when Xander Valentine brutalized me in a match and made me pass-out. I mean, come on Cid, we’re about to fight in your HOMETOWN! Talk about hostile territory! You think I’m going to be cheered here?
The Snow Queen laughs in good nature. Actually, there is a chance I might… she gives a teasing smirk.

See, I’ve always been a polarizing figure, Cid, my entire career. Everywhere I go, it’s a bit of a mixed bag. Some people and fellow wrestlers cheer me because they believe in me and what I stand for. Some of them boo me and hate me because I’m “boring” or “the same for the last eight years” and would love so desperately for some kind of ‘creative change’ or something like that.

But with you, Cid? They don’t go back and forth with you. Those boos and disrespect have grown because when they look at you now? They see what I see. Just another ‘short-cut loving’, desperate jackass that wants this!
Selena holds up the world championship. And hometown hero or not, Cid, if you try and screw these people out of what they deserve to see in a hell of a match – they are going to make sure you hear it loud and clear! she takes a quick glance towards the empty seats before returning her gaze to the camera.

Like I said, Cid, this whole thing needs to come to a head, but the world knows just as I do how this is going to play out. Just like last week – soon as you hit that brick wall, soon as you start to lose that step, and the match starts slipping out of your hands, in comes Holly or Asher to save your ass.

She holds up her free hand. And just like last week, it isn’t going to work. But they know it’s going to happen and I know it’s going to happen.

Because when it comes to Cid Turner, there is always a limit. A limit to his patience. A limit to his “morals” and a limit to how much he can endure.

Slowly, Selena walks around the ring, her eyes on the empty seats, her eyes slowly drawing back to the camera. You heard me in my last promo, Cid. You might be stronger, smarter, faster, and have more resources than I do, but there is one thing I purposefully left out. Because while you may be all those things, I know that I am a hell of a lot tougher than you.

I have survived wars and injuries and threats that you cannot possibly comprehend here in SCW. I have scars and busted body parts that will forever be etched into my form and my memory. I have survived ordeal after ordeal and kept going while you? You lose one world title match and you and Asher throw a tantrum. You lose one tag match and you, Cid, throw a tantrum.
Sapphire eyes narrow at the memory of Cid’s chosen actions after the clean loss his team suffered at the hands of Selena and Syren.

And the reason you will use Holly or Asher this weekend is because you know I am telling the truth. You can beat me down. You can make be bleed, but you CAN’T keep me down and put me away by yourself.

A quiet laugh escapes the Snow Queen. But I find it hilarious that you think that my ‘toughness’ comes from a pathological fear of ‘losing this title’… The platinum-blonde gives a tilt of her head. That what you said last week, right? You made an interesting remark that ‘fear is what motivates me’. That ‘fear controls me’…

Cid… You gotta stop trying to figure me out because every time you try, you just make yourself look more and more stupid, okay?
Reaching up, Selena scratches the back of her head.

But I’ll be happy to set you straight in this matter. You think that ‘losing’ terrifies me. You think that I can’t ‘live without this title’. Let me refresh your memory, Cid. I went four years without this title.

I spent four years thinking I would never get a chance at this title again and rather than whine and cry like you and Asher have for the last one-hundred plus days since you lost it, I spent my time conquering different divisions and performing “matches of the year” against superstars like Xander Valentine and Sienna Swann, and by the way? Both of those matches? I lost. I didn’t throw a tantrum. I didn’t seek “creative change”. I picked myself up and sought to make myself better, which is exactly what I have done.

In fact, one of your former buddies, Ace Marshall, a month ago, bragged up and down that I was ‘replaceable’. That the “Face of SCW” was something that could be and would be replaced as soon as I couldn’t compete at that level anymore. And you know what? He was right.

Let me remind you of something that clearly has slipped your mind since you’ve been back here, Cid. Doesn’t matter if you’re the ‘most superior so and so in SCW’s twenty-year history’ like you bragged about last week or the ‘first Co-World Champions’ or ‘most entertaining and ratings booster’ or whatever you and Asher are spouting out for your egos. Doesn’t matter if you’re a…
Selena snaps her fingers a few times. ”A Disney-ripoff” or a “master-manipulator”, or “boring” or “insufferable” or whatever else you want tag to my name. Every one of us, from me to you to the guys and girls in the back are on borrowed time.

Streaks, title reigns, careers, they all eventually end.
Her eyes lower down to gaze at the championship on her shoulder.

There was a year, Cid, that I was basically untouchable. 2016. The infamous “Year of Selena Frost”. I became the only person to ever win both the Shot of Adrenaline Tournament AND the Best of the Best Tournament and the only person to do so in the same year. I beat legends like Kelcey Wallace and Kennedy Street and Ravyn Taylor just to name a few. I became the World Champion for the first time to cap it off and was the Female Wrestler of the year. 

Within a month’s time of 2017… I had lost the world title, failed to recapture it in a rematch, and was little more than the target for Vixen Cain’s mind games while Kelcey Wallace and Ace Marshall were dominating the world title picture. A year after that? I was nowhere near the world title. It would be nearly two years before I even got a crack at a top-tier title again.

The Snow Queen turns her head back to the camera. We are all here on borrowed time, Cid. The question is how we choose to deal with that. You use it to blame me for all your problems. You choose to let that bastard, Asher, talk for you about ‘conspiracies’ and ‘unfairness’ while you stalk a married woman. I choose to cherish every second I am here. Every instant I am able to wrestle here and challenge new, legendary, or upcoming talent, all of it! Every moment that I can share with all of the SCW Universe as the Face of SCW, as the Snow Queen, as the World Champion - just as me! she turns on the spot, taking in the entirety of the arena space, slowly stopping back to eye her audience.

So… maybe it’s not that I’m afraid that my current world title reign will ‘come to an end’, Cid. Maybe the reason I’m here is because I cherish this place. Maybe the reason I do what I do isn’t because I can’t live without being the SCW World Champion, but because I love being an SCW superstar and I love what SCW is meant to stand for: Supreme Championship Wrestling.

Closing her eyes for a moment, Selena takes a slow, calming breath before opening her eyes again. I do, Cid. It’s so simple that it baffles me that you haven’t gotten it yet. I love being an SCW superstar. I love seeing the kids you think I ‘brainwash’ cheering for their favourite wrestlers. I love seeing parents come to me and say things like ‘thank you for all that you do’ and I get to thank them for supporting this amazing federation. I love talking on talk shows and podcasts and, while I sometimes can put my foot in my mouth and say something dumb, I love talking about SCW and the SCW Universe. 

And when smug-entitled jackasses like you and, especially, Asher think that they’ve got me figured out? When people use words like ‘superiority’ over me, oh gods, do I love coming down to this ring and knocking them out with one swift kick!

I am here because I love this place, Cid. So tell me, what the HELL are you here for? her question rings throughout the arena for a moment as she coldly glares into the camera.

You want to talk about “fear of losing” this title, Cid, and that fear “controlling” you? Look in the damn mirror. Because it wasn’t me that grabbed this title from Deanna and attacked with it because he LOST a tag-match…

And sure as hell wasn’t me at the end of that World Title match that night in June that was on their knees, begging to ‘undo the match result’ and ‘hand over the world title’.

Selena’s tone suddenly grows colder, her gaze turning more and more into a sharp glare. You want to know why I don’t respect you, Cid? That’s where it starts, and it’s what takes every line you’ve ever said about ‘respecting’ me and this title and exposes it for the cheap BS that it is. Because you don’t respect me or this… she holds up the title a little off her shoulder before putting it back.

Let me tell you something about this title. There is a reason Jonathan Knots and Adam Sharper… Leaning over the ring ropes, Selena gestures to the empty commentator’s booth. There is a reason those two refer to winning the world title as ‘standing at the top of the mountain’… For a moment, it is almost like the audience could hear those words in the voice of Sharper and Knots, Selena leaning back into the ring to stand properly.

Because that’s what winning this championship – being the world champion – means to this company and every single person that tunes in! It is not meant to be ‘an easy endeavour’. It is meant to be an accomplishment. It is a journey. It is a gruelling, challenging journey that not everyone gets to complete. It is not meant to be ‘given’ but earned by fighting the best and BEATING the best. By investing your heart, soul, mind, all that you are into training and learning and pushing yourself past your limits. And when you finally endure that journey and all the hardships, you earn the right to stand “at the top of the mountain” and call yourself ‘the’ SCW World Champion. 

I have respected anyone that has endured that journey to win this title, including you, Cid. For Odin’s sake, years ago, you survived a fatal-fourway ladder match just to keep yourself the world champion. I respected that. Even Syren, who I despise – doesn’t matter how many times she’s failed to get a shot. Nobody works harder than her at getting this title. Year after year, whether it was con jobs and manipulations, or beating the hell out of anyone that was in her way to get and keep this title, she did all she could be and REMAIN SCW World Champion for years – I respect that. Maybe not the methods but I respect that she respects the journey and is all too eager to take it on time and time again without hesitation.

It takes a moment for Selena to breath and calm herself down, clearly not use to speaking of the Alpha Female with respect, given their history. For me? This title was a journey to get to. I was proud of the four years I needed achieving so much to be ready to take this on. To be able to put the company on my back and carry it as the World Champion. I was proud to fight and fight and overcome all the doubt, the injuries, the turmoil, to become the World Champion.

And let me segway for a second here, Cid, because it wasn’t just a journey that I took alone…

Slowly, as the camera follows her free hand, Selena reaches out to the side. A moment passes until another hand reaches out from the opposite side to take Selena’s hand. Backing up, the camera reveals Deanna Frost, Selena’s wife, standing in the ring with the world champion. She wears not the casual clothes normally associated with her appearances, but wrestling pants and light-green shirt, as if she were the one wrestling instead of the Snow Queen. 

Giving her wife a kind smile, Selena continues. It was a journey that we took together. For me to be the World Champion with my Deanna by my side? That was our dream. And for two years, that dream seemed impossible. My wife’s wrongful incarceration, the hell she and I went through – our future together in constant question and doubt, we survived and we came back to conquer the world-title division…

We have done the improbable, we have achieved what many thought was ‘impossible’, and we have conquered what was thought to be ‘Unbelievable’! And that journey – which is now part of this title’s history and representation - is as much hers as it is mine…

Lifting Selena’s hand, Deanna gently kisses the back of it before quietly exiting the ring. Selena watches her go for a moment before returning her attention back to the camera, sapphire eyes blazing. When I beat you last June, Cid, and finally became World champion again, yes, I was proud. I was proud that Deanna and I had reached this point. I was proud of the journey. I was even proud of you. I respected that you gave me the match that pushed my limits, tested everything I knew about wrestling and strategy. I was proud to have beaten someone that could turn back Bree Lancaster and Datura… she takes a slow breath.

Until you fell on your knees and begged me to give you back the world title.

It is as if everything shifts again in the shot. Selena’s jaw clenches, her free hand tightens to a fist – her anger very clear but controlled. 

I don’t care that you were crying after the match, Cid. Hell, I was crying after the match! But after the hell I went through to get to that point – after the HELL you and I put each other through in an epic match that represented what THIS is all about! She holds up the title a little. You were begging me to ‘unmake it’. You were begging me to just throw it all away as if beating you – as if EARNING the SCW World Championship – meant nothing! You were willing and begging to be handed the world title just like you were handed it earlier this year when you were inserted in a tag match and then handed the win by Holly Adams as if it all meant nothing!

Releasing a breath, Selena casts her gaze up towards the lights for a moment. You know, my father told me when I was a kid, “never kick a man when he’s down”, but I swear to Odin, Cid, in that moment, I wanted to kick your damn head off more than anything because who the hell do you think you are?!

For the years that people have fought like hell for this title. For the decades that people have risked their careers and their lives for this title. For the history this title represents, the journeys people like Syren and Regan Street and Kelcey Wallace, and David Helms and CHBK, and Shilo Valiant, have taken – hell, one of those guys lost his damn face in a pyro incident and came back from it just to hold this one more time!
she holds the title off her shoulder before lowering it back down to her side.

For all of their sacrifices and journeys to hold this… And you were begging me to just ‘hand it over to you’…

The Face of SCW slowly shakes her head. Yeah, Cid. I lost my respect for you then and there because if you gave a shit about this title, that idea would NEVER have crossed your mind as an option. You would have stood up, shook my hand, told me you were coming to get this title back, and then done just that! Hell, I would have preferred another tantrum like last week where you hit me from behind and declare things weren’t over! Better than crying and begging me to just “make you the World champion” again!

Her agitation clear, Selena shakes her head again, her tone dropping to simple resignation. But you’re no different than Asher Hayes. You don’t care about this title. You don’t care about what ‘being world champion’ really means – you just care about ‘having the world championship’. Even now, you still aren’t any different. Because instead of fighting me, beating me, and showcasing this ‘savior of SCW’ bit you’ve been trying to sell of yourself – instead of proving me wrong, Cid, in a match that could be ‘match of the year’… what is your grand plan?

The platinum-blonde shrugs. You know what it’s going to take to beat me, Cid. I’m not Datura, I’m not Bree and I sure as hell am not Ravyn or Syren. I am one of the most dangerous people in SCW. I am the hardest-working wrestler in this business. I have outlasted monsters like Xander Valentine, outsmarted masterminds like Vixen Cain, and surpassed ‘standards’ like Syren and Bree. I am the Face of SCW and I will be, I promise you, at my most dangerous at Apocalypse after all you and Asher have put Deanna and I through. a quiet huff escapes Selena.

I have said it before and I’ll say it until it’s clear in your head, Cid. It doesn’t matter how much ‘help’ you have. This match will be brutal for both of us. It is going to be something that eclipses our last bout at Taking Hold of the Flame. It will push our limits and test our resolve. It will make us question every choice we have made in being part of SCW, all to have someone be the World Champion.

But what happens after that?

She gives a quiet pause, as if expecting an answer. We know what happens if I win, Cid. I win, I silence any argument A/C Unit has to this ‘Co-World Championship’ nonsense. I go on and look for new challengers like Xander Valentine or Syren or whoever else wants to step up. I continue to defend this title as the ONLY World Champion, defending a full-title, which is more than I can say for Asher.

But what will happen if you win?
Again, a quiet pause before a sarcastic smirk graces Selena’s features.

Well, hell, I mean we all heard it at the first Breakdown, didn’t we? The very first title defence after Apocalypse, should Cid Turner be the world champion? He’s gonna defend the title against his pal, Asher Hayes.

It is this statement that cause a laugh to escape the young woman. Ignoring the fact that Syren is going to kick his ass, Cid, how’s that going to work? You both actually put on an entertaining match? Fight each other tooth and claw like you and I will? Give us a legitimate championship match that represents this title? her tone suddenly drops and grows serious, as does her expression.

Or are you gonna do what everyone here has already predicted you’d do and just hand that belt over to him in the shortest world title match in SCW history?!

There is a reason that Asher Hayes got that piece of paper, Cid, and you know it. There is a reason he’s not trying to earn his spot here, and you know it. And you know that as soon as he tells you to, you will drop to your knees once again and simply throw away EVERYTHING this title represents – everything our match represents! Angrily, Selena drops the world title onto the ring mat, running her hands through her hair.

There it all is, Cid. That is why I don’t respect you. That is why I know I am tougher than you. Because I’m willing to put myself through hell to avenge my wife and to show what this championship has meant and continues to mean for all of the SCW Universe. Deanna and I are willing to survive another brutal war for this championship and for such hard-work and hope to continue being its standard! You? You’re fighting me for this title just so you can hand it over the first chance you get to a guy that hasn’t earned it, is too much of a coward to do so, and hasn’t won a match since he came back from his suspension!

With a slow breath, Selena bends down to pick up the world title, turning it over in her hands to look at it. I’m not afraid of losing this title one day, Cid, but I sure as hell am not going to lose it just to watch you two play hot-potato with it as you disrespect the journey and everything that so many, including me and Deanna, have given to it! lowering the title back to her side, Selena runs another hand through her platinum-blonde hair.

In the game of chess, the pawn has to keep going forward. It takes on all opponents and threats and can never go backwards. It’s a hard and dangerous path, but if it makes it across the board… if it can complete its journey… it can become the most powerful piece in the game… as Selena speaks, she takes steady steps across the width of the ring before resting a hand on the ropes of the other side. That’s my story, Cid. That’s how much I love being here and how much I love being the world champion. Enough to endure the journey and stand before you as the queen. 

So, if you think you’re gonna end it by taking a shortcut-en-masse, just to take Asher to ‘world champion status’ with you? If you think that you have another ‘sure-fire’ plan and it will be that easy to beat me-
despite herself, Selena simply smiles, speaking slowly. You are welcome to try for a third time. Because while I’m facing a possible ‘hometown hero’ and one half of a supposed ‘world champion’, you are facing the one AND ONLY SCW World Champion…

A world champion that is going to remind you what it takes to be called ‘the’ world champion.
And a queen that is going to knock you, Asher and that piece of paper of yours on your asses and off the damn board!

Slowly, she raises the title over her head. Believe it, Cid! Because it’s the only thing you and Asher have truly earned! 

The cameras fade on Selena and her world title before going entirely to black.
[Image: hffOaUZ.png]
SCW Supreme Champion
6x SCW World Champion
SCW Television Champion

[Image: ASrTaiG.jpeg]