Owen Lee & Alexis Quinne vs. Gavin Taylor & Glory Braddock
26th December 2021

Miami

After the visit from Charlotte on Christmas Day Owen had gotten to thinking a great deal about his current situation. He didn’t want to give up on Jennifer, but at the same time he was starting to feel like he was flogging a dead horse. They were talking again, and that should have been enough for him, but the simple fact was it wasn’t. If Jennifer asked, he would come running, and he knew that to be one hundred percent the case. But Charlotte was a very attractive girl, and even better, it seemed like she really liked him. Was he cutting his nose off to spite his face by not even giving her a chance? And that thought process had dominated his mind throughout the entirety of Christmas Day, that kiss at the forefront of everything he did. Now, walking along the beach, the doubt was still there. Was he passing up on the chance to be happy? Or was waiting for Jennifer the right thing to do?

“Hello Owen…”

Owen breaks from his chance and in the first instance see’s a dog that he recognizes, the dog apparently recognizing him too and jumping up for a fuss. He then looks up and see’s Anthony, who lived just down the street from the house that was currently under renovation.

Owen: Oh hey, sorry… miles away.

Anthony: No problem. Are you like me and out for a walk after the excesses of yesterday?

Owen: No actually, just taking a walk to clear my mind.

Anthony: And is it working?

Owen: Nope

Anthony: Well in that case then, it’s my guess that’s it’s a woman that’s at the forefront of your thoughts.

Owen: Two actually

Anthony: Lucky you.

They both laugh, Anthony throwing a tennis ball which the dog dutifully fetches.

Owen: Nothing like that, just don’t understand women sometimes.

Anthony laughs again.

Anthony: Son, I think you’d be hard pushed to find any of us that have cracked that conundrum. I know I certainly haven’t. But you seem like an intelligent person, I’m sure you’ll figure out what’s best.

Owen: I hope so, because it’s starting to do my head in.

Anthony: Not the first man I’ve heard say that, and I hazard a guess you won’t be the last.

Another dog that isn’t on a lead comes by, and the two dogs sniff at each until going their own way. Anthony keeps an eye on things just in case, but once satisfied he turns back to Owen.

Anthony: So, took a walk past the house. Seems to be coming along nicely.

Owen: I chose the right builders, and they seem to be cracking on.

Anthony: When do you think you’ll be able to move in?

Owen: They’re aiming for late March, but there will be some other stuff that I’ll be doing over time.

Anthony: If you don’t think me rude, once it’s completed, I wouldn’t mind looking around.

Owen: Sure. You were once in property after all. I’d like your opinion.

Anthony: You can ask anyone, if there is anything, they will say about me it’s that I like giving my opinion. Especially when it comes to houses.

Owen looks at him thoughtfully

Owen: Can I ask you a question?

Anthony: Of course

Owen: Property developing… is it as much fun as it looks. I mean, I’ve loved designing the house, and putting it together right now to the finest detail. If it was something, I wanted to put money into, is it worthwhile?

Anthony motions towards a wall, the dog sitting down by his side, Owen taking a place as well.

Anthony: It depends. There is a lot of money in it for sure if you find the right properties, but a true developer isn’t in it for the almighty dollar and does it for the love. Having a vision, and seeing it come to fruition, much like you are doing with the house, that’s what it is all about, Imagining people living their lives, happy. That’s where I got my kicks anyway. More than anything it’s about having an eye for it, much like photography. You pick the right property in the right location and you’re on to a winner. You’ll find that a lot of people will do the work themselves, but I was never a hand at DIY, I just had the vision. You build trust with builders and other tradesmen who can follow your visions to the letter and it’s difficult to lose really.

He pauses

Anthony: Can I ask you a question?

Owen: Yeah of course.

Anthony: Will you be looking to buy these properties and sell them for profit, or will you rent them out once completed.

Owen: I’d not really thought about it… but rent them out, I guess.

Anthony nods, Owen obviously giving the answer he wanted.

Anthony: Then if it is something you are truly interested in; I’d be more than willing to give you any advice you need. I’ve still got quite a few contacts in the game that might be of use. There’s a lot more to it than meets the eye, and I’m more than willing to share a few pearls of wisdom if it helps you out. You don’t seem particularly money oriented and that’s good enough for me. I was the same, that’s never what it was about and if you maintain that same attitude, it will serve you well.

Owen: Thank you, I appreciate that.

Anthony: We all need a little help from time-to-time Owen, no matter how much we believe the opposite.

Anthony gets to his feet, his dog standing almost in unison.

Anthony: Anyway, best get off, the old chap here won’t walk himself. But remember what I said, I’m happy to help.

Owen: I will.

Anthony: OK then, enjoy the rest of your Christmas and I’m sure we’ll see each other soon. Take care of yourself young man.

And with that Anthony carries on down the beach, Owen watching as he occasionally stops to pick up the ball that it seemed the dog would never stop fetching. Soon Owen would be able to bring Virgil over and take him for walks on this very beach, because with him here, Christmas wouldn’t have been nowhere near as lonely. He drops down off the wall, and starts making his way back towards the apartment he was stopping at, this time though his thoughts dominated by what came next after the house was finished.

“Oi, you…”

Once again Owen is snapped out his trance, but this time far more aggressively than before. He see’s a guy walking towards him, his mannerisms giving the impression that he wasn’t particularly happy, and Owen wasn’t a random target for his frustrations. Owen scowls, confused by what is going on, the man coming to a stop barely a yard away from him.

“Are you Owen?”

Owen: Yeah, that’s me… is there a problem or something?

“I don’t know… is there?”

Owen: Look, I don’t know mate. I don’t have the first clue who you are.

“No, course you don’t. And you don’t care either do you?”

Owen has had enough of the situation and starts to walk away before it gets out of hand. He didn’t know what this guys problem was, but he had no intention of hanging around to find out. However, the man puts a hand on his shoulder, stopping Owen, who knocks the arm away.

Owen: Look mate, I don’t know what your problem is, but don’t put your hands on me ok?

“Oh, but it’s alright for you to put your hands on my girl, right?”

In that moment the penny drops, and Owen figures out what is going on.

Owen: Right, I’m guessing you’re an ex of Charlottes, right?

“No, I’m Leigh, her boyfriend.”

Owen: Ah, if you say so pal.

Leigh: I’m not your ‘pal’ and I’m going to ask you just once to stay away from Charlotte.

Owen: Dude, there ain’t nothing between me and Charlotte other than being friends.

Leigh: Stay away

Leigh’s ignorance was starting to rankle Owen, frustration starting to build.

Owen: And if I don’t?

Leigh: Then you’ll be sorry. Just walk away and leave us alone. First and last warning

Owen: You’re warning me… what’s it gonna be pistols at dawn?

Owen was finding the whole thing unbelievable and finds it hard not to laugh at his own joke.

Leigh: You think this is funny

Owen: Oh, come on, you don’t? Stood here on a beach warning me off someone who wants nothing to do with you.

Leigh: She’s never said that

Owen: Oh, she has bud, on more than one occasion.

The sentence obviously strikes a chord with Leigh, and without warning he throws a punch which Owen easily ducks underneath, before jabbing once to the solar plexus, doubling Leigh over.

Leigh: I’ll kill…you.

With Leigh struggling for breath, Owen can only shake his head.

Owen: Bud, I told you… there is nothing going on with me and Charlotte, and even if there was, you had your chance and you fucked it up. Seeing me as a threat, it’s laughable, even more so when you look at pitiful as you do right now. Sort yourself out, respect women and then maybe next time you won’t be kicked to the curb by a woman as strong as Charlotte is.

Leigh gets to his feet, obviously furious but still holding his gut.

Owen: Oh and threaten me again Leigh and I’ll call the police. That’s YOUR first and last warning.

Without looking back, Owen continues back down the beach and towards the apartment. In the end, he didn’t drink a single drop on Christmas Day, but he wasn’t going to make the same mistake today. His head was full of too much stuff, and he needed the release that alcohol would bring. He’d deal with the fallout and hangover tomorrow. And anyway, his old friend from Los Angeles, Finch was flying in tomorrow and once he arrived there would be very little time for peace and quiet. Wherever Finch was, chaos nearly always followed, and for once Owen was looking forward to it.

27th December 2021
Miami

After fetching Finch from the airport, Owen had taken him first to the apartment to freshen up, and then to the house to show him what he was doing with it. Having bagsied one of the spare bedrooms for the occasions on which he visited, Finch had then decided the best course of action was to head to the beach and watch the ‘Honey’s’ do their thing. Whilst there, Owen had filled him in on the events over Christmas. The cheeky kiss with Charlotte, and the altercation with Leigh of particular interest to his best friend. For once, Finch had listened intently, and hadn’t interrupted once, a fact which Owen found quite unnerving. Having brought Finch up to date, Finch raises his eyebrows and puffs out his cheeks, before taking a sip from his can of coke.

Finch: So, hold on… this ‘Charlotte’ broad dumped Leigh the asshole, and guy still believes he has a chance?

Owen: Worse than that bro… I think he believes they are still together.

Finch: And he’s stepping to you… a pro-wrestler and believing that’s going to end well.

Owen: To be fair, he is bigger than me

Finch: Owen, Humpa Loompas and the Borrowers are bigger than you.

Owen: Valid point.

Finch: So, after you used some of your hocus pocus wrestling move shit and took the fella down, what did he do next?

Owen: What, in between gasping for breath?

Finch: Yeah

Owen: He threatened to kill me.

Finch bursts out laughing.

Finch: Christ, I need to meet this guy. He sounds like a bigger fuck up than me.

Owen: Let’s not push it, that’s kind of unbelievable that anyone could be a bigger fuck up than you.

Finch: Hold on one minute sunshine, I’m not the one who spent the last God knows how many months ‘finding’ myself at a slaughterhouse. Now that’s fucked up.

Owen: Again, a valid point.

Owen concedes that point, the two knocking their drink cans together before taking a sip each.

Finch: Though spending time with a hottie like Daisy can’t have been all bad.

Owen: Try saying that with a metal meat hook lodged in your skull.

Finch: Sounds kinda hot to me.

Owen shakes his head, there was no way he was winning this debate.

Finch: Alright, so all that aside, this Charlotte chick is she worth all the strife?

Owen: I mean, under normal circumstances, it’s a no brainer. She’s got her own successful business, and obviously has a lot of friends in the area.

Finch: Screw that bro, is she hot?

Owen: Oh yeah, she’s hot

Finch: I find that hard to believe seeing as she likes you. But taking it at face value… what’s your problem?

Owen: What do you mean?

Finch: You’ve got a girl who brings your Christmas dinner, likes you even though you’re not that great to look at…

Owen: Cheers bro, you’re the best

Finch: …and even better, you’d piss off this Leigh fella just by your presence. Look you know me, I’m normally a Gentlemen when it comes to these things…

Owen chuckles, not able to stop himself.

Finch: I AM a Gentlemen, I’m a reformed character and without a slaughterhouse in sight. That said, if you’ve got an opportunity to get your dick wet with a hot bar owner, then you should take it. Balls deep.

Owen laughs again, Finch had always had a way with words and Owen doubted he would ever change. But when Owen shows no indication that he knows Finch is right, he decides to double down.

Finch: But you’re not going to, are you? You’re going to leave the poor girl hanging, all moist, and pander to her ex’s threats. And why? Jennifer fucking Helms.

For a moment Finch is distracted as two girls walk by, both wearing tennis skirts and taking his attention from the matter at hand. When he doesn’t get THEIR attention however, he turns straight back towards Owen.

Finch: Am I right?

Owen sighs, he hated Finch being right at any time, but this was even worse. Even when they had very first split up, there was plenty that Finch had to say. Some of it hard for Owen to take. The look on his face made it clear that even now, Finch believed that Owen needed to move on.

Finch: Man, when are you going to stop putting that particular pussy on a pedestal?

Owen doesn’t answer straight away, but when he does, he does so with a glare that makes his feelings perfectly clear.

Owen: Look Finch, you’re my friend, you and I have been through an awful lot and have one heck of a bond. But I swear if you disrespect Jennifer again, we’ll both regret what happens next.

Finch holds up his hands in what seems like an apology.

Finch: Hey, I’m sorry man, but just telling you how it is. As a friend.

Owen rubs his eyes behind his sunglasses, aware that he had probably over-reacted.

Owen: Look I get it bud, I know that I need to get over Jen, and Charlotte is the perfect opportunity to do that. But if I did this, it feels like I would be putting the final nail in the coffin and any chance that I have would be gone. And I can’t do that, not yet.

Finch: Then we won’t say anything else about it. I’ve said my piece and we’ll leave it at that.

Owen: That seems like a good idea to me.

For a moment they sit in an awkward silence, but the one thing with Finch was that he always had something to say, and never seemed lost for words.

Finch: I got to admit Owen, it is kinda cool out here, and I’m not just talking about the girls.

Owen looks around him, the sands, the view, the ocean and cannot help but agree. But all those things paled into insignificance as to the true reason he was here.

Owen: It is, and it’s exactly what I need right now.

Finch: What do you mean?

Owen takes another, final, swig from his can and from his position perfectly bails it into the trash bin nearby, high-fiving Finch as he gives his approval being a former basketball player himself.

Owen: I needed to get away from Los Angeles and I needed to be on my own, away from all the drama that has surrounded me since what seems like forever. I couldn’t breathe, I was suffocating… I needed to be somewhere where I wasn’t constantly being watched over like some poor kid who needed protecting.

Finch: I’m sure it wasn’t that bad.

Owen: It was… and although I understand that they were only trying to help, the fact is no matter how much I spoke of evolution and growth, I wasn’t going to achieve it with people available to bail me out whenever trouble formed. How could I have ever grown if I wasn’t allowed to learn from my mistakes? How was I going to learn if there was a constant safety net ready to catch me? You know yourself Finch, your mistake cost you your career, and yet look at you, you’re a million miles from the guy who threw away a basketball career for the sake of a few pills. Because the only person you had to pick you up was YOU.

Finch: Well, you had something to do with it as well.

Owen: I appreciate you saying that, but I didn’t take responsibility for your actions, you did. Just like right now I’M taking responsibility for all that I did in SCW and not expecting Shaun or Mom to deal with it. If I come back from this Finch, if I achieve anything else with my life, I need it to be on my terms and by my hand. No one knows me here Finch. No one is judging me, or forming opinions on me… I can keep myself to myself, and that’s all I ever wanted. A chance to be me. Now I have that chance, and I wouldn’t have got that in LA. And although I do miss things about Los Angeles…

Finch: Me for instance…

Owen: Obviously

They both laugh

Owen: If I had stayed, eventually it would have killed me, if not physically then certainly mentally. Los Angeles has a lot of memories and not all of them good. Miami is a fresh start for me, and I fully intend on making the most of it.

Finch: Well, if you always have a spare room available, I suppose I can authorize it.

Owen: Tell you what mate, I’ll even let you decorate your room, how’s about that?

Finch: Sold.

Finch nods his head, but his face takes on a far more serious tone.

Finch: You’re gonna be ok, aren’t you?

Owen once again takes in his surroundings, feeling the sea breeze on his face and the warmth of the sun.

Owen: You know what Finch? I reckon I am.

Finch: Then that’s good enough for me.

He finishes off his coke and tries the same shot Owen did earlier but misses, a fact that makes Owen laugh.

Finch: Now, how’s about you introduce me to this Charlotte. If you aren’t going to have a go then there’s no reason why I shouldn’t.

Owen laughs, knowing full well that Finch was exactly the kind of guy she wasn’t looking for and that he didn’t stand a chance in hell. Maybe that was jealousy talking, maybe Charlotte had gotten to him more than he cared to admit. Either way, it all came down to one thing. Jennifer Helms. And getting her back was all that mattered. 

[Image: 270041540-258425806375597-7033161467703002046-n.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Owen Lee & Alexis Quinne vs. Gavin Taylor & Glory Braddock - by Owen - 04-19-2022, 06:12 PM