“Roadblock” Chance Owens vs. “Rockstar” Randy Ramon
2 RP Limit for singles

Deadline: 11:59:59 pm ET SUNDAY, November 6, 2022 *NOTE EXTENDED DEADLINE TO ACCOMMODATE LATE SHOW*
[Image: MKl96W9.png]

[Image: bcywcYD.jpg]
I love AJ Allmendinger.
[Ah, Denver... A beautiful place to live with breathtaking scenery and wonderful people. It’s also one of the highest cities in North America at 5,280 feet above sea level. Only three other places in Colorado have a higher elevation. What, you thought I was making a marijuana reference? Not today, my friends... Not today. I do support legalized marijuana, though. The benefits are unparalleled. And in my humble opinion, they far outweigh any possible risks. Now having said that, there are risks in any undertaking. Even having a desk job can be a risky proposition these days! What do I mean by that? Read on to find out.]

It’s a typical November day in Denver, Colorado... That is to say, people keep an eye on the weather even as they go about their daily lives. One person who always knows what the weather is going to be like without having to constantly check on it is currently stuck at a malfunctioning traffic light cursing under their breath at the dangerously short crossing times. A light jacket rests over their long-sleeved shirt and is zipped up enough to keep it from being blown open by one of the sudden wind gusts the city is known for. Hmm, apparently they’re wearing maroon today... Oops, they’re on the move! Oh, there you are, Chance! Kinda windy to be walking to work, isn’t it? A tiny waif of a girl is huddled under the thin awning of a coffee shop, her arms wrapped tightly around herself. Chance walks right up to her, takes something out of the tan duffel bag on his shoulder and crouches so he can help her put on the jacket he brought for her. “There you go, Tiffany... That’ll help you stay warm.”

Tiffany looks up at him and smiles tremulously. “Thank you.” Then she looks down at the sidewalk. “The man who took us in drank away the money you gave Mama.”

Chance frowns and looks around for someone. When he sees them, he waves one arm to get their attention. When they get in range, he talks quickly but calmly. “Tiffany’s mother needs help. The man who took them in found out I gave them money and stole it to go drinking.”

Mike Davies scowls before turning to Tiffany and crouching so she can see him without having to look up. “Did he hit your mama, sweetie?”

Tiffany looks at him in surprise before her lip starts trembling. “He slapped her on the back of her head... Then he made a fist and put it under her nose.”

Mike shakes his head even as he scoops her into his arms and stands up straight. “I’m going to talk to him about hitting your mama... Then I’m going to find you a better place to live.”

The trembling stops as Tiffany does her best to hug him. “Thank you...”

Chance stands up and puts his hand on Tiffany’s back. “Talk to my parents, Mike. They’re having trouble finding tenants for the rooms in the basement.”

Mike smiles. “That sounds perfect. Come on, Tiffany. Let’s go rescue your mama from a bully.”

Tiffany beams at Chance. “You’re an angel on earth, mister!”

Chance smiles at the little girl. “My name is Chance.” He looks at Mike. “If you need backup, call Leo. He’s off today.”

Mike knows why Chance told him to call Leo. “Got it.” Then he turns and walks to his car with Tiffany in his arms.

Chance smiles and waves at Tiffany as they go, then he sighs and continues walking to work. “If there’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s a bully.” The rest of his walk is blessedly uneventful and he’s about to open the door when he gets a funny feeling in the pit of his stomach. He digs his cell phone out of his pants pocket and sees a text message from his supervisor. ‘Don’t come in through the front door. Duck down the alley and come in from the back.’ He taps Reply on the message. ‘Copy that... Going down the alley now.’ He hits Send and puts his phone back in his pocket before going down the alley at the side of the building.

His co-worker Dale is waiting for him at the back door. “Shawna told me to wait for you.”

Chance comes in and scuffs the mud off the soles of his boots after Dale closes the door. “What’s the scoop with me not coming in the front?”

The owner of the company is looking for you.”

Chance grumbles under his breath as they make their way to the clock-in area. “And there are people watching for me to come in the front so they can snag me before I get to my desk.”

Right.” Dale waits for Chance to clock in before accompanying him to the small office he uses.

Chance stops short at the lettering on the door. “What the...” The window cling with his name has been removed and replaced with ‘Bianca Sutherland’!

That wasn’t there when I came in...” Dale tries the door and it swings open under his hand. “Okay, this isn’t right.” There are potted plants and pictures on the walls!

Chance uses the back of his hand to turn on the light and immediately notices a box with his name on it. “I don’t like this, Dale...” He hears footsteps and moves Dale out of the way.

Bianca Sutherland sees Dale and Chance standing near what used to be Chance’s office and sighs before going inside. “Come on in, Chance.”

Chance hesitantly steps into the office and stands just inside the doorway. “What’s going on here, Bianca?”

Bianca picks up the box with Chance’s name on it and brings it over to him. “You’ve been reassigned.” She sighs again and seems to get smaller. “They put you in the mail room.”

To say Chance is surprised would be a massive understatement... “The mail room!? I was hired to answer phones, not sort packages and envelopes!”

Dale winces at the note in his co-worker’s voice and turns to see if he can find Shawna without having to leave the area. He sees her and waves frantically. “Shawna! Shawna, come here!”

Shawna comes over without hesitation. “What’s going on, Dale?”

Someone moved Chance to the mail room and gave his office to Bianca!”

Shawna immediately looks at Bianca. “Who did it and why?”

Bianca looks very unhappy as she answers the question. “It was Mr. Brentworth... And he said it was punishment for missing work two weeks ago.”

Shawna’s lips flatten into a thin line. “I’ll handle Mr. Brentworth... Chance, you’d better go to the mail room for today.” She sighs softly. “The company owner is in Miss Gladstone’s office.”

Chance doesn’t bother hiding his scowl. “I take one day of my earned PTO and this is how Brentworth responds? This stinks!”

Shawna nods a bit to say she agrees, then her tone softens. “I’ll see if I can get him to change his mind.”

Thanks, Shawna.” Chance sighs. “Any of you know where the mail room is?”

Dale scowls slightly before sighing. “I do.”

Thanks, Dale.”

Shawna shakes her head as she watches them go. “Charles Brentworth had better watch his back from this point on, because if Chance loses his temper, he’ll be the target.”

Bianca nods in agreement, then something occurs to her. “Oh, I hope he didn’t cut Chance’s salary too!”

He’d better not have!” Shawna looks down at her phone and sees a message from Miss Gladstone. ‘Is Chance at work today, Shawna? The owner wants to talk to him about Mr. Brentworth.’ Her hand is trembling when she taps Reply. ‘Mr. Brentworth moved Chance to the mail room. Dale’s taking him there now.’ She taps Send and feels a surge of anger rushing through her. “I’d better get back to my office. Try to have a good shift, Bianca, this isn’t your fault.”

I know it isn’t my fault... But why is he picking on Chance?”

That’s a good question.” Shawna sighs loudly and starts the trek back to her office.

- - -

Dale stops outside the employee entrance to the mail room. “This is it here... It’s easier to get here from the back door.” He puts a consoling hand on Chance’s shoulder. “Shawna’s going to bat for you against Mr. Brentworth. Try not to be too bummed out, okay?”

Chance sighs and lightly pats Dale’s hand. “I’ll do my best... You’d better get back to work.” He waits until Dale’s almost out of sight before entering the mail room.

The soft click of the employee entrance closing gets everyone’s attention. The first thing they see is Chance standing there with a box in his hands. A gruff man of Slavic descent sees the look in Chance’s eyes and makes his way over to the energetic young man who’d been hired to answer phones. “I’m Ivan. I’ll help you while you’re here.”

Chance looks at Ivan and his mind registers the wording he used. “Shawna’s going to bat for me.” Then he sighs. “I swear Mr. Brentworth is out to get rid of me.”

Ivan snorts quietly. “He’s an idiot. Come on, we’d better get started.” He points to an empty cubby on the side wall. “You can put your belongings there.”

Chance puts the box and his duffel bag inside the cubby, then hangs his jacket on the hook to hide what’s inside. “This isn’t the way I wanted today to go.” He sighs again and forces himself to pay attention to what Ivan’s telling him about the mail room and how it operates.

- - -

The owner of the company looks at Ellen Gladstone in shock. “He’s WHERE!?”

Ellen sighs. “Chance Owens has been assigned to the mail room by Charles Brentworth.”

Where is the office manager?”

He quit the day Chance used some of his PTO and Charles immediately appointed himself to the position.”

Who told you about Chance Owens being assigned to the mail room?”

Ellen takes a steadying breath before she answers. “Her name is Shawna Gill and she’s the floor supervisor.”

The owner sits back and steeples his fingers in front of his face for a moment. “I’d like to talk to her, please.”

Yes, Mr. Gleason.” Ellen picks up her handset and dials Shawna’s office. “Shawna, it’s Ellen Gladstone. Could you come to my office, please? The owner would like to talk to you about Chance. All right. Thank you. You can just come in when you get here. I’ll see you soon.” She sighs as she puts the receiver back in place. “I can’t imagine what Chance is thinking right now...”

Mr. Gleason shakes his head. “That young man was hired to answer the phones, not sort the mail!” He sounds extremely put out and Ellen can’t blame him for it.

- - -

Ivan looks at the clock and taps Chance’s shoulder. “Your shift is over, you can clock out now.”

Chance rubs his hands together and nods with a sigh. “Thanks for volunteering to help me, Ivan.”

You’re welcome.” Ivan knows there’s more than just weariness in Chance’s eyes. “Go home and get some rest.”

I hope I can.” Chance rubs his eyes before going to the cubby he put his belongings in. He puts his jacket on and zips it up before tucking the box into his duffel bag and closing it with a sigh. “See you tomorrow.”

See you tomorrow.”

Chance lets himself out through the employee entrance and makes his way to the clock-in station so he can clock out for the day. He tucks his time card into the proper place after clocking out and rubs his face. “Not what I thought today would be.” He makes his way out the front door and encounters the man responsible for him being in the mail room. Keep your cool, Chance... “Hello, Mr. Brentworth.”

Charles notes the lack of anger or hurt in Chance’s voice. “Owens. Enjoy your first day in the mail room?”

Chance keeps his voice neutral. “It was educational, that’s for sure... Now if you’ll excuse me, I’d like to go home.”

Charles can’t help sounding smug. “Get all the sleep you can because you’re never leaving the mail room.”

Chance carefully navigates past him before answering. “With all due respect, Mr. Brentworth, that’s not up to you.” Then he starts walking home. He stops at an intersection and takes out his phone to check for messages. There’s a text message from Leo. ‘Tiffany and her mom are at Mom and Dad’s place. Thanks for telling Mike to call me if he needed backup.’ He smiles as he hits Reply. ‘I would’ve gone with him if I hadn’t had to work.’ He isn’t surprised to see himself adding more to the message. ‘Don’t wait supper for me, I’m going to Shannon’s.’ His finger taps Send before he can stop himself, then he chuckles before putting his phone in his pocket and turns to go left instead of going straight.

As you can see, Randy, I haven’t exactly been having a good day. But come Sunday, you’re the one who’s going to have a bad day.”

He took the time to check the card for Under Attack while he was on break in the mail room earlier to make sure he got his opponent’s name right. “Rockstar” Randy Ramon.

See, I don’t know you, so I don’t know how good you are. I can’t tell what I’m getting myself into so I don’t really know how to prepare.”

He stops at another intersection and checks his phone again. ‘Why are you going to Shannon’s during the week?’ A soft sigh slides out as he taps Reply. ‘Fucking Brentworth moved me to the mail room today.’ He hits Send and pockets his phone before crossing the street. Shannon’s is a private club that serves more than just good food and relaxing music.

There is one thing I’m sure of, though, Randy...”

A chilling smirk flits across his face.

If you want to get anywhere, you have to go through me.”

The door to Shannon’s comes up on his left side and he slows down before turning to put his hand on it. A small panel opens on the door and a gruff voice emerges. “Who seeks admittance on this windy evening?”

Chance unconsciously squares his shoulders. “A weary man seeking refuge from the trials of the day.”

The panel closes and the door opens. “Come in, Chance... It must have been a rough one if you’re here during the week.”

You don’t know the half of it, Barry!”

Barry shakes his head as he closes the door behind Chance. “Are you looking for company tonight or no?”

It’s been a while since he came to Shannon’s. “I’d love to have company tonight.” Chance sighs as Barry leads him to one of the private rooms the club’s clientele have access to upon request. “I could use a little comforting.”

Barry’s heard that phrase from Chance often enough to know what that means. “Tracy’s been looking for you.”

Chance smiles. “I’d love to have Tracy join me tonight.”

Barry helps Chance sit at the small but comfortable table in the room. “Tracy and your meal will be here shortly.”

Thanks, Barry.” Chance leans back and closes his eyes as his muscles start to decompress from the stress of the day. He doesn’t open them again until he hears a soft ahem to his left. “It’s been a long time, Tracy...”

Tracy smiles and lifts the cover off Chance’s plate to reveal a stuffed chicken breast with carrots and a baked potato. There’s a small bottle of beer near the plate. “Almost too long... Where have you been?”

Chance grunts as he cracks his knuckles before picking up the supplied silverware. “Work’s been doing a number on me lately.”

I’ll help you relax after you eat.” And Tracy settles in against the wall so Chance has a little room while he eats.

I was hoping you’d say that.” Chance smiles and turns his attention to the food on his plate. For the next little while, the only sounds are that of his knife and fork making contact with the plate.

Tracy smiles and takes the empty plate and beer bottle to the waiting kitchen employee. “He’s really tense tonight, he actually drank the beer.” The door closes as Tracy comes back in and walks over to where Chance is now standing.

Chance carefully stretches his arms out and grimaces when both shoulders pop. “Ow! That’s better, though.” He moves away from the table and turns so he’s facing the window.

Tracy takes the hint and comes up behind him. “Leave everything to me.”

Chance smiles and relaxes as much as he can. “Gladly.”

Tracy’s left arm comes up around Chance’s ribcage and a soft sound comes from the tall blond man at the feel of lips on his neck. Now either Tracy is a tall woman in high heels or a man as tall as Chance. Tracy’s right hand comes to rest on Chance’s thigh and feels the muscles gradually lose their painful tension. Chance’s eyes are closed as Tracy kisses up and down his neck. Tracy always knows how to help him relax and air tickles the skin on Chance’s neck as Tracy speaks softly. “Turn around so we can look into each other’s eyes.”

Chance happily turns around to look at Tracy. “I love looking at you...” Then he leans forward and kisses the man in front of him on the lips.

Tracy sighs inaudibly and melts into Chance’s embrace as they kiss. He has pale skin with dark hair and eyes and the lithe muscular body of a dancer or gymnast. There’s an unspoken rule in effect at Shannon’s. Chance always has first dibs on Tracy when he comes in. When Chance moves to kiss Tracy’s neck, he can’t help an exhalation of delight. “You’re a pleasure to look at yourself, you know.”

Chance looks at him, then grins. “I bet the others who come in are jealous because I get you first.”

Tracy’s grin is cheeky and sassy at the same time. “My coworkers are jealous too.”

Chance raises both eyebrows in surprise. “Oh?”

Tracy leans in to give Chance a soft kiss on the lips. “They want time with you too.” He moves one hand to give Chance’s butt a firm squeeze.

Interesting.” Then he gives Tracy a kiss that threatens to set his soul on fire. The soft moan against his lips only adds fuel to the fire that’s just starting to burn inside and he pulls the other man in so they’re touching. “Maybe one of these days... But you’re the one I want tonight.”

Tracy can’t lie to himself... His heart surges every time he hears Chance say that. “Then you can have me.” He can’t help a moan when Chance’s hand slides up the outside of his leg and along his ribcage.

[And now you know. Shannon’s offers intimate companions for people who want or need them. Chance’s first choice of a man named Tracy shouldn’t surprise you. After all, appearances can be deceiving. Let’s give them some privacy. And speaking of appearances... Randy... Don’t let this fool you. Chance is going to come after you with everything he has. Do you have what it takes to get past him? There’s a reason he calls himself Roadblock, you know. Show up on Sunday and find out why for yourself. See you there.]
[Image: 7YQMtsG.png]

[Image: KQjayMG.png]
^Banner courtesy of Mad Marlowe
Click Here:  No Chance in Hell

OOC: Someone please let me know if this doesn't properly load a pdf.  It works on my end but can never be too sure.