Alexis Quinne vs. Owen Cruze
SCW Underground Championship

2 RP Limit for each match

No Word Limits

Deadline: 11:59:59 pm ET FRIDAY, March 3, 2023 (NOTE DEADLINE) – Show will also act as if taking place on Friday – Pretend the NHL Trade Deadline was our lead-in!
[Image: MKl96W9.png]

[Image: bcywcYD.jpg]
I love AJ Allmendinger.
+++ 4th of February 2023 – Los Angeles +++

It had been a funny few months for Shaun Cruze. After flirting with the possibility of returning to wrestling as an active competitor, and then wondering if perhaps it was time to go back to acting. He had concluded that the way his life was right now, with so much spare time that he could spend with his family, he had the perfect situation with very little stress. Being the General Manager of Breakdown had taken a lot out of him, and now he was of an age when he wanted to sit back and simply enjoy the fruits of his labor. With a beautiful wife, and a gorgeous daughter, there was nothing more he needed. Anything else, would just be stressful. So, as he sat in the garden at the back of his house, admiring the view of the Hollywood Hills, he was enjoying the tranquility of it all, expecting this to be his reality for the rest of his days. He wasn’t expecting company, Angyalka and Dorothea out and enjoying some ‘girl’ time, so it is surprising when his phone vibrates, the camera at the front of his house picking up motion. He picks up his phone and accesses the app, his eyes widening as he see’s a man who he recognizes. After a moment to digest it, Shaun gets to his feet and heads to the gate which would bring him round the front of the house. Opening it, the man turns to face him, Shaun greeting him with a handshake.

Shaun: Jason… been a long-time bro.

Jason King nods his head in agreement, there paths not having crossed for a while.

Jason: Wasn’t sure if the big-time movie star would even remember who I was.

Shaun: Ah, that’s in the past… just a big-time businessman now. Well, I like to think I am.

The conversation flows readily enough, and there is no awkwardness between the two, but still in the back of his mind Shaun wonders what Jason is doing here.

Shaun: So, what are you doing in Los Angeles, seems a little far from home.

Jason: Well, I’d love to say that I was just in the area and wanted to call in on an old friend, but fact is I came to Los Angeles to see you.

Shaun: OK, well I guess you’d better come in then bro.

Shaun steps aside, Jason walking through the gate and into the garden, following Shaun as he walks down the path.

Jason: This is quite the place

Shaun: Yeah, Angyalka and I love it… it’s perfect for Dorothea as well

Jason: How is the family?

Shaun: All good, no complaints here. You and Willow have any plans for kids?

Jason: Nah, at least not right now anyway.

Shaun recognized that this was nothing more than small talk and had already concluded that this may be something to do with Owen. He’d heard rumors of something going down in New York, but as Owen had requested in the past hadn’t pried, even though he’d seen him on several occasions. As they enter the kitchen, Shaun offers Jason a seat, and then motions towards the fridge.

Shaun: Beer?

Jason: Yeah, beer would be good.

Shaun takes out a couple of bottles of Corrs, and pops the cap on both, handing one to Jason, the two clinking the bottles together. Shaun then takes a seat, and after taking a swig, places the bottle on the table.

Shaun: So, what can I do for you?

Jason takes a swig from his drink and then puts the bottle down, cupping it with his hands.

Jason: Normally, I wouldn’t get involved Shaun, but I’m worried about Owen.

Shaun takes another drink, for once wishing that his thoughts hadn’t been right.

Shaun: What about him?

Jason: I really think he’s getting out of his depth with this whole wrestling school and shelter.

Shaun ponders the comment for a moment, because the truth was, he had thought the same thing occasionally. Owen was only twenty-two years old, almost twenty-three, and his plans in Shaun’s opinion had always been over-ambitious.

Shaun: Thing is Jason, I promised him I would stay out of his business. His life was his own, they were his words. He promised me that if ever he needed me, he’d ask.

Jason: That’s the thing Shaun, I don’t think that he even recognizes the trouble he’s getting himself into.

That was something so familiar to Shaun, as it had been something that he had also struggled with in the past, believing that he could always overcome any odds. Truth be told, Orlando had been the same.
Shaun: I can’t promise I’ll be able to help, Owen was quite adamant he wanted to go this alone, but you’d best tell me what’s been going on.

Jason nods, understanding that this could all be in vain. He was no longer angry and Owen for the way it had all panned out and was embarrassed by the way he had kicked off, so he felt it his responsibility to say something.

Jason: Has Owen mentioned that I don’t work at the school any longer?

Shaun: He’s not mentioned it no, but I had heard rumors on the grapevine.

Jason: Yeah, he let me go because I sparked out the Father of one of the potential students. A guy called…

Shaun: Eric Morris… creator of Zuuzoo?

Jason: You’ve heard of him huh? I’m impressed.

Shaun: Dude’s a billionaire… one of the most powerful men in New York and not someone you need to be pissing off.

Jason: Exactly, well I did… and it came with ramifications. Eric basically told Owen that if he didn’t let me go, he’d press charges and make sure that the book was thrown at me. I didn’t take too kindly at the time, but I understand that he didn’t have any choice. Thing is, I’ve been doing my research on Morris, and the guy isn’t quite the tech nerd that he presents to the public. The truth is a whole lot darker than that. He’s got half of New York in his back pocket, and I reckon he truly believe he can do whatever the hell he wants. I think Owen believes that now he’s taken me out the equation, Eric will simply go away. I think he’s wrong.

Shaun had often heard the ‘word’ on Eric and how initially his fortune had been forged from ill-gotten gains, but he had never seen him as the threat that Jason was implying. Already his thoughts had turned to Chris Clay, a wrestler turned private investigator that was a friend of the family. If anyone could find any dirt it was him.

Shaun: Obviously if Owen is in trouble, I want to know about it, but shouldn’t you really be talking to him?

Jason seems a little disgruntled by that comment.

Jason: You think I didn’t? Yeah, maybe at the time I was angry. Perhaps I didn’t have the best tone, but I told him that this wouldn’t be over, and Morris wouldn’t just simply let this lie. But in true ‘Cruze’ tradition…

Shaun: Careful Jason.

Shaun grins, but he was only half joking.

Jason: … he didn’t listen. And I’m not kidding Shaun, Morris isn’t the kind of person to mess around. If I’m right and he comes looking for Owen, he won’t stop until Owen is ruined. And neither of us want that. Nor can we turn a blind eye.

Shaun takes another sip from his bottle, recognizing that if Jason was indeed right, Owen most definitely wasn’t equipped to deal with it. Owen had grown so much over the past eighteen months, but by the same token Shaun had dealt with people like this before, Owen hadn’t. This wasn’t some crackpot talking about rabbit holes, this was real life, and the fallout could impact Owen forever. Shaun had made a promise to Orlando to always look out for Owen, and he failed once before. He wasn’t going to fail him again.

Shaun: OK, I’m convinced. So, what do you suggest we do?

Jason: We got and have a chat with Mr. Morris and make it clear that he should stay away from Owen. If he doesn’t agree, then we make it clearer. Owen doesn’t need to know anything; we can take care of it all. Show this wannabe gangster that we’re not scared of him.

Shaun: By pretending to be gangsters ourselves?

Jason laughs

Jason: Let’s not forget Shaun, I know people as well

Shaun: I’m sure you do…

Jason: Why do I sense a but?

Shaun: Look around you Jason, I worked hard to get to this point in my life where it is comfortable, and I don’t have the day-to-day stresses that most people have. I have the most gorgeous woman in the world as my wife, and an amazing daughter, and there is no way I am going to put that at risk. Even though I promised him, I’ll interfere, because I promised Orlando, I’d always be there for him. I’ll speak with him, and I’ll advise that if Morris is doing anything illegal, he goes to the police and let’s them deal with it. But I’m not going to join you in stepping up to Morris like the Kray’s twins, and risk everything that I have built, and you shouldn’t either. And if I’m honest, Owen should have enough sense to not do so as well.

Jason: So, what you are saying is Shaun Cruze has lost his bottle?

Shaun grins, knowing exactly what Jason was trying to do. Any just a few years ago, it would more than likely have worked, but not anymore.

Shaun: No Jason, what I am saying is right now… Owen has his own mind. Until your thoughts become reality, I’m not going to put my family in danger.

Jason: Oh, I’m sorry, I thought Owen was family.

Shaun: He is… and as such, I trust him to do the right thing.

Jason: And if he doesn’t, and this gets messy?

Shaun takes another, longer swig from the bottle, planting it down on the table with a little more force than before.

Shaun: THEN, I’ll deal with it. My way.

Jason sighs, it being obvious to him now that Shaun wasn’t taking this as seriously as he should. Jason was ready to fight fire with fire, but he knew he couldn’t do so alone. He’d have to wait for the situation to worsen, his only worry being that by then it would be too late. He had to do something, but if Shaun wasn’t on board, what could he legitimately do. He had to hope that Owen was as big a man as Shaun believed him to be. Otherwise, as far as Jason was confirmed, Owen was in danger of losing it all.

+++ 6th of February 2023 – New York +++

It had been a good news weekend for Owen, as both his personal and professional life had bore fruit. Personally, Bradley Comer had been picked up in Los Angeles, probably to try and make Shaun ‘pay’ for saving Pixie from his fraud. The Police had informed him that he was likely to do time, and not be a burden to them for a good while, as such Owen had stopped worrying about what was going on in Miami, Jennifer occasionally stopping over and, in the house, alone. Professionally, Owen had defended the World Championship against Kimberley Williams, whilst also claiming her Underground Championship, a fact she had not stopped bleating about since. Though he did recognize that owning both would no doubt become a double-edged sword. The worst-case scenario was him having to defend both in separate matches at Retribution when he knew he would face Adam Allocco. The best-case scenario is the booking staff recognizing that the status of both belts, made it important that they were not cheapened in any way. Owen had a lot to think about and digest, but it was also a nice problem to have. Two belts, most certainly better than none. Now it was time for some rest and recuperation for those trials to come, and that meant heading back to New York, and to speak with Chloe and Finch as to the future of ‘Next Level’. Finch had made it clear that he did not believe that Jason should have been let go, and he was worried as to the classes that would resume in just a weeks’ time. No sooner had their meeting started, had Finch once again emphasized that point.

Finch: Look, it’s simple. All you have to do is go back to Jason and apologize.

Owen: Apologize for what? He punched someone in the face Finch, and whether we think Morris deserved it or not, it wasn’t ever going to be a good look for this place.

Finch: And of course, it had nothing to do with Eric’s threats.

Owen looks down at his agenda, which in all honestly, they hadn’t even touched yet.

Owen: I was given very little choice.

Finch: Yes, but bending over backwards for him Owen… and for what? You’re in a worse situation than you would have been if you had told him to fuck off. Sorry Chloe.

Chloe holds up her hand, not offended by the language in the slightest. She could see the arguments for both sides and didn’t feel like her opinion was particularly relevant now anyway.

Owen: Really? When he was threatening to turn next door into a car park and then tear down the memorial, I don’t think so.

Finch pauses for a moment to compose himself, not wanting to say anything that was too out of turn.

Finch: OK, so the memorial, I get it. It’s you Dads place, and it’s important to a lot of people, but you could have got Chris Clay to investigate the claims that Morris owned the land, he would have picked something up for sure. And yes, we may not have been able to extend into next door, but there are other buildings just a couple of blocks that would have been just as good. I know you’re my boss, so I’ll always do as I am told. But Chloe and I are also your friends, and without a trainer for the classes that are advertised to restart next week, you don’t have a business. So, unless you have a master plan that I am not aware of. Unless you have some way of teaching the students that are about to come back for the start of term. Jason is your best option, regardless of what Eric Morris thinks.

Owen: And who is to say I don’t have a master plan.

Finch: And what’s that huh? Are you going to take the classes whilst also trying to defend both the Underground AND World Championship? Or maybe you think Adam Lucas has the time when he has his eyes firmly on EAW’s version of the World Championship?

Owen: Nope, contrary to popular belief Finch, I’m not stupid, and I don’t simply do things without thinking about them.

Finch is about to say something, but Chloe interjects, and it’s probably a good thing.

Chloe: What Finch is trying to say in his own ‘special’ way, is that if there is a plan, now is the time to share it.

Owen nods his head, totally understanding what both were getting out. What they didn’t know is that he had every intention of sharing with the class.

Owen: Look, Jason was an amazing teacher. There is no doubt that right now he is one of the most talented uncontracted wrestlers in the world and could walk into quite possibly any company and succeed. These kids have learnt so much from him… about what it takes to become a champion, and they will never forget that. The thing is wrestling is not just about ability. It is about mindset, and it’s about principles. Jason is a hothead, and he always has been, and his moral compass has not always been the best. What if he’d lost his temper with one of the students? What if what happened with Morris had gotten out, how many parents would have pulled their children not wanting them to be taught by someone like that? Fact is, even before all of this I had my misgivings… it was best for all that I let him go, regardless of the situation I found myself in. These kids, they have been given the grounding, now they needed to be taken on board by someone who has not only been a World Champion, but as also managed, and owned wrestling companies. In fact, one of THE wrestling companies a few years back. So, I turned to the one man who could help us, even if just temporarily.

Finch: And who is that?

Owen pauses, a smile forming on his face.

Owen: Jacob Laymon.

Chloe: Who?

Finch remains silent, he’d had conversations with Jacob Laymon in the past.

Owen: Jacob was a friend of my Father’s and was one of the few people that he trusted with his life. Jacob started out in Motor City Wrestling, and ended up in time not only running it, but also owning it. He fought some of the absolute best this business has to offer. Lethal Weapon, Glory Braddock… you name them, he’s faced and beaten them. And not only that, he’s never had anything come easy and worked for everything he has ever earned. He lived, breathed, and bled this industry, and believe me, is the perfect replacement for Jason.

Chloe: Finch… you’re quiet.

Finch: I’m taking it all in… how did you pull that off?

Chloe: What do you mean?

Owen is happy to explain.

Owen: It was simple. This business took his brother, and the love of his life. Just like Jason, he knows precisely the mistakes that you should never make. He feels like he never really close the book on this industry and instead it was taken from him. This is his opportunity to give back, and make sure the students don’t make the mistakes he did. Not only that, but I also saw him wrestle an exhibition a few months back, and he can still go. Like I said, the perfect replacement.

Finch: Hold on though, he is a wrestler, what about the other classes?

Owen: That was the other thing I was going to talk to you about. We are going to hold off on expanding into other things and concentrate on what we know. If this has all taught me one thing, it is that we were moving too fast, and right now I would prefer to focus on the shelter. The profit is there, there’s no need for us to walk before we run, let us just take a breath, regroup, and see how the rest of the year pans out. By then, hopefully, we’ll have a few more trainers on board to share the load.

Finch: You HAVE got it all figured out.

Owen: It’s kind of insulting you doubted me in the first-place bro. I had to do this, or we wouldn’t have had a future. At least this way, we can move on.

Finch: I know… I just liked Jason that’s all.

Chloe: We both did.

Owen: And so, did I… but sometimes things need to be done that you don’t want to do. Jacob will put us back on a firm footing and we can put all this to bed and go back to worrying about the people that matter. The residents and the students.

Chloe: Yes… that would be nice.

Owen: But yeah, Adam and I will be pitching in as well when we get the chance. I’m also considering giving Reed more responsibility around the place, especially where it comes to the residents. I appreciate your concerns; you’re attitude towards this place is why I put you both in charge. But everything is under control, you have my word. Any questions?

Both Chloe and Finch shake their heads, Owen not bothering with the rest of the agenda, it not seeming to matter anymore. At least for now.

Owen: Good… I’m just going to borrow the office for half hour then I’ll be out your hair. Cool?

Finch: No worries, take your time.

Finch and Chloe get to their feet.

Owen: And guys? Thank you. I really appreciate you both being here. We’ll get through this, I promise.

They both nod, and then leave the office, Owen finally taking a deep sigh. Although he had said the words, even now he wasn’t sure if he’d made a mistake or not. The worst thing was, he knew that only time would tell if Jason was the liability that Owen had suggested. Or in fact, his biggest ally.
[Image: 270041540-258425806375597-7033161467703002046-n.png]
+++ 7th of February 2023 – New York +++

Having informed the staff about Jacob Laymon’s appointment, all that was left now was to make it official by introducing him to everyone, including the students. Owen had to laugh when one of the students didn’t know who Jacob was, but the legendary figure had taken it in good grace. Owen knew that the students would know soon enough who Jacob was and be better for it. Having completed the tour, including the shelter, and the plans for expansion, they had retired to the office, to go through the necessary paperwork. With everything signed, Owen pulls out a bottle of whiskey, pouring them both a measure before raising his glass, the two of them downing the contents.

Owen: Good to have you on board Jacob, and thank you for stepping in.

Jacob: Well, it’s not like the wrestling world has been banging down my door with job offers, is it?

The joke brings a smile to Owen’s face, which he quickly gets rid of when he recognizes that Jacob is only half-joking, and there was an element of bitterness in the statement.

Owen: Their loss is my gain.

Jacob: That remains to be seen kid… I haven’t been involved in training for a long time. What if my methods are a little… antiquated?

Owen: I’m sure you’ll be fine; I’m more interested in you giving them the mentality to succeed that anything else. What you went through and those experiences, if you can share them and prepare the students for the struggle, that’s all I’m really looking for.

He smirks.

Owen: The abilities, Adam and I can give them all that they need. After all, we have been successful this decade at least.

Owen’s joke breaks any tension that was hanging in the room, Jacob resorting to a belly laugh that takes a while to subside.

Jacob: You always were a cheeky little shit, and now you’re a cheeky little shit with a World Championship you’re even worse. You remind me a lot of your Dad, but I’m guessing you hear that a lot.

Owen: Not as much as I’d like. But thanks, it’s always nice to hear.

Jacob: He always thought you’d make something of yourself, went as far as to say you had a much more mature head on your shoulders than both him and Shaun. But this place, it’s impressive and you should be proud of yourself. I’ll do my best to ensure the students get what they need.

Owen: I know. And who knows, maybe if it goes well, we can make it permanent, if you’d like too of course.

Jacob: Like I said Owen, it’s not like I’ve been doing much since Motor City closed, and IWC disappeared into the ether. It will be nice to get off the Golf course, though over the years I have gotten pretty good.

Owen: OK then, so classes start next week, and we’ll look at it again in a couple of months.

Jacob: Sounds good.

Owen: Just don’t go sparking out any of the students Fathers huh?

Jacob laughs, he more than knew the story of why he was here and who he had replaced.

Jacob: I’ve had my altercations with Jason in the past, and truthfully, I’m surprised that you even employed him in the first place.

Owen: He’d changed… Willow as well, they both did a lot of good for this place. To be fair to him, he was only looking out for Finch.

Jacob: Well, I guess you know him better than I do these days. But the Jason I knew, it’s surprising it took this long. I guess what I am saying is you have nothing to worry about from me. I’m way to long in the tooth for shit like that, I’ll always leave it to the authorities.

Owen laughs, he’d heard that exact statement not that long ago.

Owen: Yeah, I think Shaun is in the same head space as well

Jacob: There’s a lot to be said for the quiet life Owen.

Owen: Perhaps, but I reckon I’ve got a few years left in me before I make any decision to step back. I always said that I wouldn’t wrestle into my thirties, and that’s still my intention. This place, this is my future. I won’t be one of those broken-down men who went on too long. If there is something Dad taught me, it’s that family is everything, and when I’ve got the wife, kids… that’s when it will be my time to walk away.

Jacob: Aren’t you getting married this year?

Owen: I am… so who knows? Maybe the end is closer than I think. It’s why I came back when I did… I couldn’t let the way it was be the end, not the way it was left. Now I have my respect back, and the redemption I worked so hard to achieve. If my story ended now with the World and Underground titles my final act, I know I’d be happy. I wouldn’t be back and forth like a yo-yo like Shaun was. Once it’s done… it’s done.

Though he didn’t say the words. Jacob was more than impressed with Owen’s outlook on life. Recognizing that his redemption had been the most important thing to him and now he had that, it would be enough said a lot about the man. He was SCW World Champion right now, and that fact alone would change most people. But for Owen, it was like winning the World Title again had brought everything full circle. And every day he woke, the first thing on his mind wasn’t the industry, it was Jennifer. And the rest of their lives together.

Owen: Anyway, is there anything else you need to know, any questions about the place?

Jacob: No, just want to get started really.

Owen: OK, then I’ll let you get on with the rest of your day. Apartment hunting, I take it?

Jacob: Yeah, got a couple of places nearby that I’m going to look at. Oh, hold on, I do have one question.

Owen: Fire away

Jacob: The wrestling school on the corner… you have any bother with them. Is there any rivalry I should know about?

Owen laughs, he’d expected that question way before now.

Owen: Believe it or not, it used to be Icon… it was taken over by Tommy Valentine and David Helms who owned Ante Up. The two of them fell out and now it’s Tommy and a woman called Kandis’ place.

Jacob: Kandis?

Owen: Yeah, she competes in SCW as well.

Jacob: In that case, I guess that answers my question.

Owen: Honestly, I thought it would all kick off when we opened, but thus far, it’s been quiet. Kandis has recently returned after injury though, so who knows what the future holds?

Jacob: Fair enough.

Jacob gets to his feet, just as a knock at the door is heard.

Owen: Yeah…

The door opens, Chloe looking at Jacob almost apologetically.

Chloe: I’m sorry Jacob, I thought you had left.

Jacob: Actually, I’m just leaving.

Owen: Do you need something?

Chloe: Just five minutes of your time if that’s ok?

Owen reaches over and shakes Jacob’s hand.

Owen: I’ll see you next week

Jacob: You will… see you both soon.

Jacob leaves the office, and Owen motions towards the chair.

Owen: What can I do for you?

It doesn’t take long for Owen to realize that this wasn’t going to be good news, the look on Chloe’s face making it clear. She seemed almost hesitant.

Owen: Is something wrong?

Chloe: No… I mean, not really.

Owen: So, spit it out then. I think we’ve known each other long enough for us to be able to tell each other anything.

Chloe sighs deeply, Owen getting that familiar feeling in the pit of his stomach telling him that something was seriously wrong. He knew Chloe’s Father hadn’t been very well, so he hoped it was nothing like that. He knew how it felt to lose a Father, and Chloe was just as close to hers as he had been to Orlando.

Owen: It’s fine Chloe… you can tell me.

She bites her bottom lip; it was no good she was just going to spit it out.

Chloe: I applied for a job in Italy in an art gallery, and they replied to me this morning. They want me to start right away…

For a moment Owen is speechless, which doesn’t help Chloe’s worry any. He digests it, and then slowly a smile forms on his face.

Chloe: You’re… smiling?

Owen picks up the bottle, and again pours a shot of whiskey each, sliding the glass across.

Owen: Of course, I’m smiling… a job like that is all you ever wanted. It could be the beginning of something special. This was always just a stop gap for you, and we both understood that. It’s amazing that someone has finally recognized the talent you have.

Chloe: But what about this place?

Owen: What about it? That’s why I have Finch… and if it gets too much for him, I’ll hire him an assistant. When would you leave?

Chloe bites her lip again

Chloe: Tomorrow…

Owen: Wow, that soon?

Chloe: Is that a problem? I can tell them to hold off if you want.

Owen: No, not at all… we’ll cope. This is everything you ever wanted, what kind of friend would I be if I didn’t let you chase your dreams? Just remember me when you are some famous artist.

Chloe: I don’t think there is any danger in that.

Owen holds up his glass, the two of them downing the contents just like Jacob and Owen had earlier.

Owen: Can’t believe you thought I’d be angry.

Chloe: It’s just, with Jason and Willow…

Owen: Let me worry about that. Change can be a good thing. Change can bring about new ideas. I was never going to be the one to hold you back.

Chloe: And I appreciate that. Well, I guess I’d better tell Finch the good news.

Owen: He’s going to be gutted… thought you two might have become a thing.

Chloe: We have phones you know… I’m sure he’ll appreciate my nudes.

Owen: For God’s Sake Chloe… I do NOT need that image burned on my retinas.

Chloe: Oh, come on Cruze, you’ve seen me naked on more than one occasion.

Owen: I try to forget.

Chloe gets to her feet, a grin on her face, Owen doing the same. The two hug, Chloe wiping away a tear as they part.

Owen: Knock ‘em dead Chloe… love you.

Chloe: Love you too Owen… drink tonight to say goodbye.

Owen: You got it.

Chloe kisses Owen on the cheek and heads out the door, which shuts behind her. Owen takes a deep breath, and puffs out his cheek, before letting the air exhale. He stands there for a moment, digesting it all, his face more than a little trouble. Change could be good no doubt, but it could also be a sign of things starting to unravel. He wouldn’t let that happen, he couldn’t. And thus, he knew the perfect person to bring into the fray.

+++ 2nd of March 2023 +++

Owen peers from in front of a camera lens, sat on a singular sofa chair, with both the World and Underground Championships draped over the back, situated either side of him. Since he had beaten Xander Valentine nearly three months ago, his career had been a whirlwind, and with the Underground Championship added to his resume, it showed no sign of slowing down. Owen wasn’t one to complain however, and he would be a fighting champion for as long as either reign lasted. He was also more than aware that holding both, was detriment to the other. But he would make the most of it, the honor of being a dual-champion one of his greatest achievements to date. And just like he did against Kim, he would continue pushing the envelope until the day arrived when he had nothing else to push. This was more than he had ever imagined, his redemption now having turned into something much more. This was now about legacy, and he was doing everything he could to ensure that legacy was achieved. He nods, before he starts to speak, his tone as assured as we have ever heard it.

“Let’s not make any bones about it, Body, Heart and Soul were potentially the most important night of my life. Of course, facing someone as talented as Kimberly Williams, with not just one, but two belts on the line was a massive undertaking. Defending the World Championship, whilst at the same time trying to claim the Underground version, something that some wouldn’t be able to achieve. I’ll admit it, I thought quite a lot about what it would like to hold two belts at the same time. I went through the whys and wherefores in detail, as well as the pros and cons. Ultimately, it all came down to one thing, that being if I wanted to continue to be the World Champion, the Underground Championship was a part of that. Leaving the event with neither couldn’t be an option. And although I understood it ‘could’ have transpired, I did everything I could to ensure that it didn’t.”

Owen nods his head agreeably, recognizing that just a couple weeks back, he had done something that many people believed he wasn’t capable.

“And I got that, truly I did. And in no way am I looking to demean either of those Championship belts I have behind me, I respect this industry and this company way too much than to ever do that. As claiming my ‘redemption’ had been the most important thing in the world, more important than becoming a dual champion, was the way I did it. I didn’t want it to be easy, and thus I stepped right into my opponent’s domain. I took my reputation as being a one trick pony, capable of only a quick, high-risk offence, and shattered it into a million pieces. I showed that not only could I compete in the Underground, but I could also thrive in it. More than any rabbit hole, I got down and dirty with most definitely the greatest exponent of the chaos that division exudes, and walked away from the carnage with BOTH belts, exactly how I said I would. I showed that I didn’t stay at the Slaughterhouse for a vacation. I suffered, more than most will in their entire careers. Beating Xander Valentine should have been proof positive that I was one of the most durable individuals on this roster. I exampled in glorious technicolor what I am capable of when I snatched that title from his grasp, but Kimberley William chose to ignore me. I stepped into that ring at Body, Heart and Soul, ready for whatever she threw at me… and I’ll openly admit, it was everything but the kitchen sink. Should a rematch occur down the line if I am able to continue this path, perhaps I wouldn’t have that element of surprise. But it wouldn’t matter, because I understand that although I’m not some King of the Underground, or even a Prince… I can compete in that, or any environment. At Retribution, I’ll go again. This time to show that not there isn’t a thing I can’t do, including beating one of the most technical wrestlers in the world in Adam Allocco. All to serve one purpose, that I am one of the most rounded, capable wrestlers in the world, no matter the situation. All to build my OWN legacy, instead of trying to maintain that of others. But Retribution is for another time. I’m sure Adam Allocco will wax lyrical about how I’ll be losing sleep having to face him again, when the reality is that it’s a far different story. Truth is, someone as good as he is, as technically proficient as he is, that’s the kind of challenge I’ll always embrace, even if it does mean that my championship reign comes to an end. Much in the same way as Josh Hudson, I’m not scared against anyone of that caliber, I love to see just how equal a field I am playing on. But I’m also someone that will only ever focus on the next match. And although I am extremely proud to be the World Champion, I am equally proud of being the Champion in the Underground. I’ll fight anyone that steps up to either title. Especially when that opponent is none other than Alexis Quinne.”

A glimmer of a smile forms on his face, Alexis being someone that he knew very well. The last time they had faced off it had been a barnstormer. An exhibition of rapid-fire offence that had left the fans gagging for more. Over the course of the last few months, Alexis had been in some high-profile matches, but with a Championship Belt on the line, Owen was certain she would come at him like never before.

“So, Alexis, with the utmost respect, I hope that isn’t what you are going to come at me with. This theory that my mind is already drifting towards Retribution and a long-awaited rematch with someone who has shown his ‘issues’ with my family that will never disappear. Fact is, it would be easy for a person to make that mistake, or for someone to allude to that misinterpretation, but I sure as hell wouldn’t expect that level of ignorance from you. You, more than most know the DNA that the Cruze family are built on, your dalliance with Shaun way back when giving you an insight into how our minds work. So, with that in mind, you should know more than anyone that I only deal with that which faces me. And that person this week on Breakdown, is YOU. I didn’t head into Body, Heart and Soul, without giving my situation a great deal of thought. I knew that there was every potential that I would end up fighting for both titles on the same night, or maybe even at the same time. At least on this occasion, Breakdown and Retribution are two weeks apart. Preparing for both will be mutually exclusive. Right now, I don’t have to waste any thoughts on Adam Allocco. Right now, unless he gets involved on Friday night, he isn’t of any consequence.

In this moment, holding both belts isn’t to my detriment, but I’m not naïve enough to think that situation can last, because holding one, or even both could cost me. I don’t shy away from it though Alexis. I’m not spending this time talking to you to excuse any potential failure that may or may not happen. The situation I am in, is a situation whereby my eyes are wide open to the consequences, but those consequences are none of your concern. I AM a fighting, Champion. I AM the Underground Champion. And at Breakdown, regardless of what is to come, I will be busting a gut to make sure things stay that way. But you know that don’t you? You know from experience that even when I am down, you can never be sure that I am out. Last time we faced each other, the tide had turned in your favor and yet I only needed one opportunity to put you away. One mistake, and I snatched that victory from you, and it took less than a second to do so. You seemed to have doubts before about me, but do those doubts remain? Or did you as I hope, learn a thing or two, and get the answers that you crave?

See, that’s the thing I never understood before, when I last stood on this pedestal as the SCW World Champion at the age of nineteen years old. I’m not stupid enough to not recognize that back then I didn’t believe I needed anything else but speed to get the job done. When I beat Alistaire Allocco, I did so by grinding him down with my offence, but even so, there was still a huge element of luck. After losing the title in the Elimination Chamber, I still stayed true to those beliefs. I still believed that with my speed, I could beat anyone. Defeat after defeat. Heartbreak after heartache. The event of taking Hold of the Flame was the result of several years of that same naivety. The moment when I realized that I did indeed HAVE to change.

So nowadays Alexis, I realize that evolution is a constant, and the moment that evolution comes to a half, that is when you lose the capability to surprise. I recognize that with the talent pool in this company, you must have several ways to win any match, or the likelihood is you will end up on the wrong side of the result. Of course, you learned a thing or two the last time we were in that ring together. Of course, you walk into Breakdown believing that you have the tools to complete the job and leave as the Underground Champion. And I wouldn’t expect anything less. But I’m here to tell you right now, I’m not the person that beat you several months ago. I’m not even the person that defeated Xander Valentine, Hairless Penguin and Kimberly Williams. With each one of those victories, I have produced a new, different string to my bow. Against Xander, I came at him from all angles. Hairless Penguin, I outwrestled him. Kim, I went to the Underground and walked away intact. How will I beat you, Alexis? Of course, I’m not going to give you an insight into my strategy, that would be foolish. All you need to know is that I will find a way. If I must battle, if I have to dig deep… or even if I have to take to the skies, that is what I’ll do. I’ll adapt, and you know what, that is the single greatest attribute that I now have in my possession. Before, you spoke of us putting on a fast-paced classic, and you know what Alexis, we did that. This time though, we are in the Underground, and although I’ll never make the mistakes that Kim did and claim that you are out of your comfort zone and give you very little chance, what I will say is that I have proven my worth in this environment… to take this title from me, now you must do the same.  

Do you have what it takes?

That’s the million-dollar question isn’t it, because until Friday comes around, we won’t know. What will happen for sure however is I will prepare, knowing that there is every chance that you DO have all the tools to succeed, and bring my reign to a shuddering halt. Kim’s biggest error wasn’t not being good enough… it was believing that Owen Cruze wasn’t good enough in her domain, one of the most critical mistakes of all. And I’ve not done that with any of my opponents, and I think you know me well enough to know that now, at the top of the mountain, I have no intention of starting that trend. I’m riding the wave of momentum, and I’m going to stay stood upright on that board for as long as I am able. If you manage to stop me, then I promise, I will be the first to shake your hand. But of course, I don’t think you will manage that task. I’m not unbeatable, far from it. But to beat me you WILL have to go to places you’ve never been before. Do you want to be Underground Champion that much? We’ll see.

Owen stands, and walks around the back of the chair, leaning with both arms between the belts. He looks at them both with a huge grin on his face.

“So, Alexis, you can rest assured that no matter what Adam Allocco, or Josh Hudson, or anyone else who says they want either of these belts comes to the party with, there are a few facts that they have to get their heads around first. I’m not the ‘kid’ who bought a living with his surname. Defeating Xander Valentine last year wasn’t a fluke. I am the real deal, and if anyone is going to take these belts away from me, they are going to have to come through the fight of their lives to claim them. That is your quest on Breakdown Alexis, and I wish you well, let’s once again put on a classic that the SCW Universe can be proud of. Let’s once again steal the show. But know this… the rules state I can do anything to keep this title, and if it comes to that, that is exactly what I am going to do. I got the ball, and I’m running with it. And as my Uncles theme music used to say, if you don’t already, by the time I’m through you will ALL know MY name. THIS is only the beginning.”

Owen nods towards the camera, the scene slowly fading.
[Image: 270041540-258425806375597-7033161467703002046-n.png]
https://punk-hazard-i-chi-ban.com/2023/0...-quinne-v/