Alexis Quinne vs. Owen Cruze
+++ 4th of February 2023 – Los Angeles +++

It had been a funny few months for Shaun Cruze. After flirting with the possibility of returning to wrestling as an active competitor, and then wondering if perhaps it was time to go back to acting. He had concluded that the way his life was right now, with so much spare time that he could spend with his family, he had the perfect situation with very little stress. Being the General Manager of Breakdown had taken a lot out of him, and now he was of an age when he wanted to sit back and simply enjoy the fruits of his labor. With a beautiful wife, and a gorgeous daughter, there was nothing more he needed. Anything else, would just be stressful. So, as he sat in the garden at the back of his house, admiring the view of the Hollywood Hills, he was enjoying the tranquility of it all, expecting this to be his reality for the rest of his days. He wasn’t expecting company, Angyalka and Dorothea out and enjoying some ‘girl’ time, so it is surprising when his phone vibrates, the camera at the front of his house picking up motion. He picks up his phone and accesses the app, his eyes widening as he see’s a man who he recognizes. After a moment to digest it, Shaun gets to his feet and heads to the gate which would bring him round the front of the house. Opening it, the man turns to face him, Shaun greeting him with a handshake.

Shaun: Jason… been a long-time bro.

Jason King nods his head in agreement, there paths not having crossed for a while.

Jason: Wasn’t sure if the big-time movie star would even remember who I was.

Shaun: Ah, that’s in the past… just a big-time businessman now. Well, I like to think I am.

The conversation flows readily enough, and there is no awkwardness between the two, but still in the back of his mind Shaun wonders what Jason is doing here.

Shaun: So, what are you doing in Los Angeles, seems a little far from home.

Jason: Well, I’d love to say that I was just in the area and wanted to call in on an old friend, but fact is I came to Los Angeles to see you.

Shaun: OK, well I guess you’d better come in then bro.

Shaun steps aside, Jason walking through the gate and into the garden, following Shaun as he walks down the path.

Jason: This is quite the place

Shaun: Yeah, Angyalka and I love it… it’s perfect for Dorothea as well

Jason: How is the family?

Shaun: All good, no complaints here. You and Willow have any plans for kids?

Jason: Nah, at least not right now anyway.

Shaun recognized that this was nothing more than small talk and had already concluded that this may be something to do with Owen. He’d heard rumors of something going down in New York, but as Owen had requested in the past hadn’t pried, even though he’d seen him on several occasions. As they enter the kitchen, Shaun offers Jason a seat, and then motions towards the fridge.

Shaun: Beer?

Jason: Yeah, beer would be good.

Shaun takes out a couple of bottles of Corrs, and pops the cap on both, handing one to Jason, the two clinking the bottles together. Shaun then takes a seat, and after taking a swig, places the bottle on the table.

Shaun: So, what can I do for you?

Jason takes a swig from his drink and then puts the bottle down, cupping it with his hands.

Jason: Normally, I wouldn’t get involved Shaun, but I’m worried about Owen.

Shaun takes another drink, for once wishing that his thoughts hadn’t been right.

Shaun: What about him?

Jason: I really think he’s getting out of his depth with this whole wrestling school and shelter.

Shaun ponders the comment for a moment, because the truth was, he had thought the same thing occasionally. Owen was only twenty-two years old, almost twenty-three, and his plans in Shaun’s opinion had always been over-ambitious.

Shaun: Thing is Jason, I promised him I would stay out of his business. His life was his own, they were his words. He promised me that if ever he needed me, he’d ask.

Jason: That’s the thing Shaun, I don’t think that he even recognizes the trouble he’s getting himself into.

That was something so familiar to Shaun, as it had been something that he had also struggled with in the past, believing that he could always overcome any odds. Truth be told, Orlando had been the same.
Shaun: I can’t promise I’ll be able to help, Owen was quite adamant he wanted to go this alone, but you’d best tell me what’s been going on.

Jason nods, understanding that this could all be in vain. He was no longer angry and Owen for the way it had all panned out and was embarrassed by the way he had kicked off, so he felt it his responsibility to say something.

Jason: Has Owen mentioned that I don’t work at the school any longer?

Shaun: He’s not mentioned it no, but I had heard rumors on the grapevine.

Jason: Yeah, he let me go because I sparked out the Father of one of the potential students. A guy called…

Shaun: Eric Morris… creator of Zuuzoo?

Jason: You’ve heard of him huh? I’m impressed.

Shaun: Dude’s a billionaire… one of the most powerful men in New York and not someone you need to be pissing off.

Jason: Exactly, well I did… and it came with ramifications. Eric basically told Owen that if he didn’t let me go, he’d press charges and make sure that the book was thrown at me. I didn’t take too kindly at the time, but I understand that he didn’t have any choice. Thing is, I’ve been doing my research on Morris, and the guy isn’t quite the tech nerd that he presents to the public. The truth is a whole lot darker than that. He’s got half of New York in his back pocket, and I reckon he truly believe he can do whatever the hell he wants. I think Owen believes that now he’s taken me out the equation, Eric will simply go away. I think he’s wrong.

Shaun had often heard the ‘word’ on Eric and how initially his fortune had been forged from ill-gotten gains, but he had never seen him as the threat that Jason was implying. Already his thoughts had turned to Chris Clay, a wrestler turned private investigator that was a friend of the family. If anyone could find any dirt it was him.

Shaun: Obviously if Owen is in trouble, I want to know about it, but shouldn’t you really be talking to him?

Jason seems a little disgruntled by that comment.

Jason: You think I didn’t? Yeah, maybe at the time I was angry. Perhaps I didn’t have the best tone, but I told him that this wouldn’t be over, and Morris wouldn’t just simply let this lie. But in true ‘Cruze’ tradition…

Shaun: Careful Jason.

Shaun grins, but he was only half joking.

Jason: … he didn’t listen. And I’m not kidding Shaun, Morris isn’t the kind of person to mess around. If I’m right and he comes looking for Owen, he won’t stop until Owen is ruined. And neither of us want that. Nor can we turn a blind eye.

Shaun takes another sip from his bottle, recognizing that if Jason was indeed right, Owen most definitely wasn’t equipped to deal with it. Owen had grown so much over the past eighteen months, but by the same token Shaun had dealt with people like this before, Owen hadn’t. This wasn’t some crackpot talking about rabbit holes, this was real life, and the fallout could impact Owen forever. Shaun had made a promise to Orlando to always look out for Owen, and he failed once before. He wasn’t going to fail him again.

Shaun: OK, I’m convinced. So, what do you suggest we do?

Jason: We got and have a chat with Mr. Morris and make it clear that he should stay away from Owen. If he doesn’t agree, then we make it clearer. Owen doesn’t need to know anything; we can take care of it all. Show this wannabe gangster that we’re not scared of him.

Shaun: By pretending to be gangsters ourselves?

Jason laughs

Jason: Let’s not forget Shaun, I know people as well

Shaun: I’m sure you do…

Jason: Why do I sense a but?

Shaun: Look around you Jason, I worked hard to get to this point in my life where it is comfortable, and I don’t have the day-to-day stresses that most people have. I have the most gorgeous woman in the world as my wife, and an amazing daughter, and there is no way I am going to put that at risk. Even though I promised him, I’ll interfere, because I promised Orlando, I’d always be there for him. I’ll speak with him, and I’ll advise that if Morris is doing anything illegal, he goes to the police and let’s them deal with it. But I’m not going to join you in stepping up to Morris like the Kray’s twins, and risk everything that I have built, and you shouldn’t either. And if I’m honest, Owen should have enough sense to not do so as well.

Jason: So, what you are saying is Shaun Cruze has lost his bottle?

Shaun grins, knowing exactly what Jason was trying to do. Any just a few years ago, it would more than likely have worked, but not anymore.

Shaun: No Jason, what I am saying is right now… Owen has his own mind. Until your thoughts become reality, I’m not going to put my family in danger.

Jason: Oh, I’m sorry, I thought Owen was family.

Shaun: He is… and as such, I trust him to do the right thing.

Jason: And if he doesn’t, and this gets messy?

Shaun takes another, longer swig from the bottle, planting it down on the table with a little more force than before.

Shaun: THEN, I’ll deal with it. My way.

Jason sighs, it being obvious to him now that Shaun wasn’t taking this as seriously as he should. Jason was ready to fight fire with fire, but he knew he couldn’t do so alone. He’d have to wait for the situation to worsen, his only worry being that by then it would be too late. He had to do something, but if Shaun wasn’t on board, what could he legitimately do. He had to hope that Owen was as big a man as Shaun believed him to be. Otherwise, as far as Jason was confirmed, Owen was in danger of losing it all.

+++ 6th of February 2023 – New York +++

It had been a good news weekend for Owen, as both his personal and professional life had bore fruit. Personally, Bradley Comer had been picked up in Los Angeles, probably to try and make Shaun ‘pay’ for saving Pixie from his fraud. The Police had informed him that he was likely to do time, and not be a burden to them for a good while, as such Owen had stopped worrying about what was going on in Miami, Jennifer occasionally stopping over and, in the house, alone. Professionally, Owen had defended the World Championship against Kimberley Williams, whilst also claiming her Underground Championship, a fact she had not stopped bleating about since. Though he did recognize that owning both would no doubt become a double-edged sword. The worst-case scenario was him having to defend both in separate matches at Retribution when he knew he would face Adam Allocco. The best-case scenario is the booking staff recognizing that the status of both belts, made it important that they were not cheapened in any way. Owen had a lot to think about and digest, but it was also a nice problem to have. Two belts, most certainly better than none. Now it was time for some rest and recuperation for those trials to come, and that meant heading back to New York, and to speak with Chloe and Finch as to the future of ‘Next Level’. Finch had made it clear that he did not believe that Jason should have been let go, and he was worried as to the classes that would resume in just a weeks’ time. No sooner had their meeting started, had Finch once again emphasized that point.

Finch: Look, it’s simple. All you have to do is go back to Jason and apologize.

Owen: Apologize for what? He punched someone in the face Finch, and whether we think Morris deserved it or not, it wasn’t ever going to be a good look for this place.

Finch: And of course, it had nothing to do with Eric’s threats.

Owen looks down at his agenda, which in all honestly, they hadn’t even touched yet.

Owen: I was given very little choice.

Finch: Yes, but bending over backwards for him Owen… and for what? You’re in a worse situation than you would have been if you had told him to fuck off. Sorry Chloe.

Chloe holds up her hand, not offended by the language in the slightest. She could see the arguments for both sides and didn’t feel like her opinion was particularly relevant now anyway.

Owen: Really? When he was threatening to turn next door into a car park and then tear down the memorial, I don’t think so.

Finch pauses for a moment to compose himself, not wanting to say anything that was too out of turn.

Finch: OK, so the memorial, I get it. It’s you Dads place, and it’s important to a lot of people, but you could have got Chris Clay to investigate the claims that Morris owned the land, he would have picked something up for sure. And yes, we may not have been able to extend into next door, but there are other buildings just a couple of blocks that would have been just as good. I know you’re my boss, so I’ll always do as I am told. But Chloe and I are also your friends, and without a trainer for the classes that are advertised to restart next week, you don’t have a business. So, unless you have a master plan that I am not aware of. Unless you have some way of teaching the students that are about to come back for the start of term. Jason is your best option, regardless of what Eric Morris thinks.

Owen: And who is to say I don’t have a master plan.

Finch: And what’s that huh? Are you going to take the classes whilst also trying to defend both the Underground AND World Championship? Or maybe you think Adam Lucas has the time when he has his eyes firmly on EAW’s version of the World Championship?

Owen: Nope, contrary to popular belief Finch, I’m not stupid, and I don’t simply do things without thinking about them.

Finch is about to say something, but Chloe interjects, and it’s probably a good thing.

Chloe: What Finch is trying to say in his own ‘special’ way, is that if there is a plan, now is the time to share it.

Owen nods his head, totally understanding what both were getting out. What they didn’t know is that he had every intention of sharing with the class.

Owen: Look, Jason was an amazing teacher. There is no doubt that right now he is one of the most talented uncontracted wrestlers in the world and could walk into quite possibly any company and succeed. These kids have learnt so much from him… about what it takes to become a champion, and they will never forget that. The thing is wrestling is not just about ability. It is about mindset, and it’s about principles. Jason is a hothead, and he always has been, and his moral compass has not always been the best. What if he’d lost his temper with one of the students? What if what happened with Morris had gotten out, how many parents would have pulled their children not wanting them to be taught by someone like that? Fact is, even before all of this I had my misgivings… it was best for all that I let him go, regardless of the situation I found myself in. These kids, they have been given the grounding, now they needed to be taken on board by someone who has not only been a World Champion, but as also managed, and owned wrestling companies. In fact, one of THE wrestling companies a few years back. So, I turned to the one man who could help us, even if just temporarily.

Finch: And who is that?

Owen pauses, a smile forming on his face.

Owen: Jacob Laymon.

Chloe: Who?

Finch remains silent, he’d had conversations with Jacob Laymon in the past.

Owen: Jacob was a friend of my Father’s and was one of the few people that he trusted with his life. Jacob started out in Motor City Wrestling, and ended up in time not only running it, but also owning it. He fought some of the absolute best this business has to offer. Lethal Weapon, Glory Braddock… you name them, he’s faced and beaten them. And not only that, he’s never had anything come easy and worked for everything he has ever earned. He lived, breathed, and bled this industry, and believe me, is the perfect replacement for Jason.

Chloe: Finch… you’re quiet.

Finch: I’m taking it all in… how did you pull that off?

Chloe: What do you mean?

Owen is happy to explain.

Owen: It was simple. This business took his brother, and the love of his life. Just like Jason, he knows precisely the mistakes that you should never make. He feels like he never really close the book on this industry and instead it was taken from him. This is his opportunity to give back, and make sure the students don’t make the mistakes he did. Not only that, but I also saw him wrestle an exhibition a few months back, and he can still go. Like I said, the perfect replacement.

Finch: Hold on though, he is a wrestler, what about the other classes?

Owen: That was the other thing I was going to talk to you about. We are going to hold off on expanding into other things and concentrate on what we know. If this has all taught me one thing, it is that we were moving too fast, and right now I would prefer to focus on the shelter. The profit is there, there’s no need for us to walk before we run, let us just take a breath, regroup, and see how the rest of the year pans out. By then, hopefully, we’ll have a few more trainers on board to share the load.

Finch: You HAVE got it all figured out.

Owen: It’s kind of insulting you doubted me in the first-place bro. I had to do this, or we wouldn’t have had a future. At least this way, we can move on.

Finch: I know… I just liked Jason that’s all.

Chloe: We both did.

Owen: And so, did I… but sometimes things need to be done that you don’t want to do. Jacob will put us back on a firm footing and we can put all this to bed and go back to worrying about the people that matter. The residents and the students.

Chloe: Yes… that would be nice.

Owen: But yeah, Adam and I will be pitching in as well when we get the chance. I’m also considering giving Reed more responsibility around the place, especially where it comes to the residents. I appreciate your concerns; you’re attitude towards this place is why I put you both in charge. But everything is under control, you have my word. Any questions?

Both Chloe and Finch shake their heads, Owen not bothering with the rest of the agenda, it not seeming to matter anymore. At least for now.

Owen: Good… I’m just going to borrow the office for half hour then I’ll be out your hair. Cool?

Finch: No worries, take your time.

Finch and Chloe get to their feet.

Owen: And guys? Thank you. I really appreciate you both being here. We’ll get through this, I promise.

They both nod, and then leave the office, Owen finally taking a deep sigh. Although he had said the words, even now he wasn’t sure if he’d made a mistake or not. The worst thing was, he knew that only time would tell if Jason was the liability that Owen had suggested. Or in fact, his biggest ally.
[Image: 270041540-258425806375597-7033161467703002046-n.png]

Messages In This Thread
Alexis Quinne vs. Owen Cruze - by Konrad Raab - 02-27-2023, 07:44 AM
RE: Alexis Quinne vs. Owen Cruze - by Owen - 03-02-2023, 02:47 PM
RE: Alexis Quinne vs. Owen Cruze - by Owen - 03-03-2023, 08:23 PM