Mordecai / Dante versus Tombstone
DEADLINE 1 - 1X 3,250 word limit RP, in whatever format you choose
FRIDAY 5TH APRIL 2019 2359 GMT

DEADLINE 2 - 1x 750 word limit SHOOT / SEGMENT rp, to be used in the show. This rp must be sent to the EMERGE PM box before the deadline of SUNDAY 7TH APRIL 2019 2359 EST
Detroit – A FEW MONTHS AGO

Robert Marshall had led an interesting life, the kind of life that would lend itself to the big screen. From illegal experiments, to a faked death, the man who many knew as Dante had never led a quiet existence, and sometimes that was his biggest regret. There was no doubt that his on screen persona was one that was to be feared, and to cower from, but behind closed doors, Robert was a far different person, one that wished wrestling had never become part of his life.  He was beginning to crave a life away from the business, a life without all the difficulties, and after events of yesterday, it seemed like his mind was made up.

Drake Hemingway and Loretta, two people who had promised him a purpose were now gone, the Druids had been destroy, and Dante now stood alone, looking over a landscape in EMERGE that looked like it was about to explode. And more than that, something that nobody knew but himself, and the Doctor currently sat in front of him, his body was breaking down piece by piece. He found himself struggling to even get out of bed in the mornings such was the pain wracking through his body. At 42, he felt more like 60, and wasn’t sure how long he could go on. He’d gotten by on a cocktail of pain killers, but they were starting to lose their effect. The look on the Doctors face just confirmed Robert’s fears, he was finished… and he knew it.

Robert: So, how bad is it?

Doctor: Truthfully, I’m having difficulty understanding how you are still standing. The ligaments in your knees are all but destroyed, the arthritis in your hands is getting worse to the point that over the next twelve months or so I think you are going to have difficult gripping objects with your right hand, your left not a great deal better. Robert, I wish I could give you good news, but I’m afraid there isn’t any… except for like I said, you’re still able to stand… just about

Robert sighs, a deep breath brought on by his suspicions being confirmed.

Doctor: One place you certainly shouldn’t be is in a wrestling ring. Not only are you a danger to yourself, you are a danger to others as well.

Robert: And there’s nothing you can do?

The Doctor holds out his hands, shaking his head.

Doctor: If you quit now, we might be able to do something with the knees, we can give you medication to lessen the effects of the arthritis… but the fact of the matter is this isn’t just going to go away, and it’s only going to get much, much worse if you don’t get out of the business.

Robert: So, worst case scenario?

Doctor: You’ll be a wheelchair for the rest of your life, probably need help, a carer maybe.

Robert: So in short, I’m fucked.

The doctor pauses for a moment, but nods his head

Doctor: Well, I wouldn’t put it so colorfully, but yes… it is over Robert, there’s no way you should compete ever again.

Robert rubs his eyes, not believing it even though he knew deep down that this would be the case. He’d had so many drugs pumped into his system over the years, and endured true pain that most people in EMERGE would never understand, it was surprising he was still alive, never mind still somehow managing to drag himself to the ring. More than anything though he felt cheated, cheated because there was still so much he felt he had to do, at the top of his list avenging his brothers, by taking down Tombstone. Twenty years ago, it would already be done, whether it had been in the ring, or in a parking lot, they would have paid their due. Nowadays though the mind was still willing, but as had been categorically confirmed by the Doctor, the body most certainly was not. He knew that he couldn’t take down Eli and Sawyer without Sundown and Minerva getting involved… he certainly couldn’t do it alone.

Doctor: Of course, I am legally obliged to inform EMERGE of your issues. I cannot medically clear you to compete knowing what I do.

Robert: Oh come on Doc, I need more time.

Doctor: Robert, I could be struck off for withholding this kind of information.

Robert: I know, I’m asking for a favor here.

Doctor: It’s more than my job is worth… I couldn’t with good conscience allow it.

Again, twenty years ago, Robert would have dragged the Doctor out of his chair and pinned him against the wall, and made all kind of threats. But this was different, although Tombstone were there in his thoughts, and although every thought in his mind was one of revenge, he knew that Doctor was right. And the moment EMERGE got this information, Robert, or indeed Dante would have his contract terminated. Robert leans back in his chair, the Doctor looking at him apologetically

Doctor: I am sorry Robert, but I have to do this. I’ve got no choice.

Robert: Yeah, I know… its ok.

Robert slowly gets to his feet, his body straining to do even that. In truth, he couldn’t remember when he started to rely on the pain killers, but it is abundantly obvious that he does.

Doctor: Make an appointment to see me over the next two weeks or so and we’ll sort out a plan of action… it may be the end of your career Robert, but we can manage this ok?

Robert nods, but he isn’t really listening, and heads for the door. For all this pain, and misery over his career being cut short, that wasn’t really the problem. The problem was he would never be able to avenge his brothers, and he knew that would eat away at him forever.

Detroit - ONE MONTH LATER

Over the course of time, fate played its hand and good fortune fell into Robert’s lap, if not the Doctors. The Doctor who had been working with him had ironically two days after their meeting keeled over and died of an heart attack, apparently taking Dante’s prognosis with him. Many weren’t aware, but Dante’s brother was a hacker extraordinaire, and had little trouble getting into the medical database and changing the information that had damned Robert’s career, and it seemed like Robert had been given a second chance.

In truth it didn’t change a thing… Robert still needed a weapon to help him, and a stronger concoction of drugs to get him through. That was where Samuel came in, a dealer in Detroit of the highest order who could get anything for a price… a price that Robert was willing to pay. They had agreed to meet at an old warehouse, which wasn’t out of the norm for Samuel. He never took chances, not ever, and it was the main reason for his success. He’d not been to Jail once, and he was determined to keep it that way.

Robert: So, this is much stronger yeah?

Samuel: You’re gonna fly brother… seriously, this is Grade A

Robert: And still untraceable.

Samuel: Damn straight homes… but just to be certain, make sure you got some piss on standby yeah?

Laymon may have been on the shelf right now, but he still had his uses, which included providing his urine.

Robert: OK good… this will be the last batch, another couple of months and I’ll be done.

Samuel holds up his hands.

Samuel: None of my business Bob, you keep paying and I’ll keep providing. Just if you get caught…

Robert: No names… don’t worry, I know how it goes.

Samuel: Sweet

Suddenly, Robert feels a sharp stabbing pain in his chest, which goes away almost as quickly. It is then followed by another, this time much stronger, that actually causes him to place a hand against the wall to steady himself.

Samuel: You ok man, you don’t look so good?

Robert takes a few breaths, willing the pain away, his hand pressing against his chest. Slowly, like a wave, the pain starts to subside, and he’s able to stand unaided.

Samuel: What was that? You sure you want to be taking stuff right now?

Robert looks up at him, his eyes narrowed

Robert: I’ve got no choice, you wouldn’t understand, it’s about honor.

Samuel: Whoa, back off there… Samuel’s only concerned for one of his best clients

Robert: Yeah, well don’t be…

Samuel shrugs his shoulders and packs up his stuff, throwing his back over his shoulder

Samuel: Look Bob, let me give you some advice?

Robert: This should be good

Samuel: Just, know when to give up yeah? Know when it’s just not in you anymore. Or else it’s going to be too late you know, just my opinion.

Robert: Yeah, just your opinion, and I’d appreciate it if you keep them to yourself from now on.

Samuel shakes his head, and heads to the warehouse door.

Samuel: Your funeral Bobby boy… see you around.

He heads out the warehouse, and Robert immediately takes a pill from the strip, and places it in his mouth, washing it down with water. Almost immediately, he starts to feel relief spreading over him, and with a nod, he heads to the door.

Toronto – February 4th 2019

Blood pours from Dante’s mouth, and he bends down and picks up the hammer, staring at Mordecai who looks dazed. He leaps in the air and brings Mordecai down onto the hammer resting on his knee. Dante then looks down at Mordecai who isn’t moving, realizing that he has the match won. He drops, and makes the cover, and Dante gets up in shook almost falling out the ring. As Mordecai starts to stand, Dante picks up the steel chair, waiting. He then runs in, but Mordecai counters with a huge forearm, the chair dropped. Mordecai then picks it up and drives it into Dante’s stomach, blood splattering from out his mouth and onto the ring. Mordecai then brings the chair down on the back of Dante’s head, everything going dark for the Assassin as he loses consciousness.

THIRTY SECONDS LATER

Dante pulls himself up on the ropes, aware of only Mordecais music, and then a voice piercing through it. Dante looks up towards the top of the ramp and see’s Tombstone making their way down. In truth, Dante’s body is numb, he is barely able to stand, but as Tombstone enters the ring, Mordecai inexplicitly stands between them and him. Dante still believes they will come, but Minerva tells them to leave, Mordecai having saved Dante from inevitable destruction. Dante leans back against the ropes, as Tombstone leave the arena, and then Mordecai leaves the ring, a smile forming on the Assassins face. He’d searched without success, but it looked like he had found himself his weapon.

Toronto – PRESENT DAY

To say he was surprised to get the call was an understatement. Now, with Dante in his office, it was even more difficult to believe, but Drew was doing his best not to be intimidated.

Drew: So, what can I do for you Dante?

The monster smiles, which unnerves Drew even more.

Robert: I’m not here as Dante Drew, not today

Drew: Oh?

Robert: No, I’m here to tender my resignation… effective immediately after Invasion.

Drew wasn’t expecting this at all, and takes a few moments before replying

Drew: Can I ask why?

Robert: I’ve lived a lie for so long Drew. I can’t do this anymore, my body is broken, and it’s only a matter of time before it gives up on me for good. I owe it to my brothers to take it to Tombstone and at least try, and on the Symphony of the Sea, I’ll give everything I have left to do that. But then I have to walk away, if indeed I am still able.

Drew: That bad?

Robert: I’m a mess Drew, I have a list of ailments as long as my arm. But I cannot walk away without trying one last time.

Drew sighs, he’s already lost a couple from the roster recently, Dante was exactly the kind of high profile name he needed. But he could tell that there was no changing Robert’s mind, and he got the feeling that Robert had been given no choice.

Drew: OK Robert, you’ve got it… the Elimination Chamber is quite the way to go out.

Robert: Hopefully not feet first

Drew: Knowing you, I doubt that.

Usually, Robert would agree, but this time he wasn’t so sure. All he knew was that he’d give it everything he’d got… one last time.

THE ASSASSIN SPEAKS

Predictably, we open in a darkened room, a single candle flickering brightly next to Dante, who sits in a single chair, resting his arms on the rests. He greets the camera with a tilted head, before his voice starts to carry through the room, making even more ominous if that is possible.

Dante: Fifteen years. Fifteen years I have put my body to its limits for this business. And on the 11th of June 2019, on board the cruise ship the Symphony of the Sea, my journey will come to an end.

He pauses for a moment, as if saying the words has made it a little more real.

Dante: It’s been, eventful… and I’m sure there will be many people that will be glad to see the back of me, and I assure you, the feeling is more than mutual. But before I have my moment, I have two more matches. Or as I prefer to call it, two more chances. To end the ‘fake’ monsters that are Tombstone.

He seems to almost growl the name, and if we could see his face clearly, you would know it was certainly said with a sneer.

Dante: Fake, because for all their threats, for all their bluster. Through sneak attacks, chair shots and much more, I’m still standing. Still here, with only one goal in mind, to avenge my brothers. A ‘true’ Monster cannot be destroyed Tombstone. A ‘true’ Monster is just like it is in the movies, they ALWAYS get back up and bring it again. You are nothing more than children, playing a game that you simply cannot win. You know how many times people have tried to ‘end’ me Tombstone and failed? I’m intrigued, just what makes you ‘good old boys’ any different to true LEGENDS that have fallen by my hand? I’ll tell you what’s different, they were legends, and you pair never will be. It’s seems to me that the only one in your group that has any balls is Minerva, the rest of you are about as ominous, or indeed monstrous as those leather wearing punks the Heartbreakers, another ‘team’ where the bitch wears the balls.

Dante turns his head to the candle, watching the flame dance, its shadow casting on the walls.

Dante: But you know what makes this really interesting Tombstone, is the fact that I don’t have to hold back any longer. I don’t have to worry about my body breaking, or receiving a suspension for going too far. All I have to do is concentrate on snapping you two bastards in half for what you did to Malakai and Jacob, and make you pay for everything you have done since. I am finally allowed to be the monster that terrorized MCW, UCWF, and FWA and almost killed Jason King in ULW.

And truthfully Tombstone, I don’t care how you try to cover it up, which you will… you have NEVER faced someone like me when shorn of any responsibility. And imagine this, even if Mordecai and I don’t get it done this time, we still have a Chamber, with NO rules with which to finish the job. Because I can tell you right now, neither of us have any designs on the EMERGE tag championships, all we need, is to hurt whoever gets in our way, and especially the pair of you. But what if I fail? How could I still walk away?

He leans forwards, and for the first time we clearly see his face, the mask left off, and the scars of a lifetime of competition visible, in which he has taken part in some of the most brutal matches in the industry. His eyes are narrowed, but he doesn’t seem angry, only determined, determined to finish this on his terms.

Dante: The answer to that is quite simple, because if I do fail, for you to have won, you will have beaten me to an inch of my life, and pinned my shoulders to the mat, but even then it won’t be over. I can’t speak for Mordecai, and I’m sure Lindsay will have plenty to say on his behalf, but if I am still conscious, and still able to, I will still be fighting and no referee is going to stop me. If we get to that Chamber, you are going to have to be the monsters you claim, and go further than you ever thought possible. You really think you can do that boys? You really believe that you can go to the depths of hell and come out the other side? Because that’s where you are headed.

He steeples his fingers so the tip rests on his nose.

Dante: Eli, Sawyer… there are no guarantees of victory, I know that. But I can guarantee that on EMERGE, and at Invasion, the pair of you are going to be put through suffering you never thought imaginable. You believe that you have suffered, you think you have experienced horror, but PG13 doesn’t cut in the Assassins world. In Toronto, and then in the middle of the Caribbean Sea, Mordecai and I will either break you, or we will make you, but to be made you are both going to have to put on the performance of a lifetime, and show me something that’s been missing thus far. Show me Eli… show me Sawyer… show me how you protect your own I demand it. Come into my darkness, and let it embrace you. And then exit from the horror purged…or pure.

Dante lifts his hand, and holds it above the candle, before closing his fist around the flame, casting the room into darkness as the scene fades.
###MARK###

What an absolute shitstorm of a fucking day. I mean, I knew that it wasn’t going to be fucking easy staying back in Edinburgh with Lindsay. Was no fucking way that I was talking her out of watching the show, flashbacks or no flashbacks. And trying to keep her focused on the fucking here and the fucking now was no cake walk. But I did it. Cut her arm to fucking ribbons tapping out that damn passphrase of hers, but kept her safe.

At least until that cocksucking bitch appeared on screen. 

Lindsay went under so fucking fast it caught me by surprise. Barely caught her before she slid off the couch, and took a fist to the jaw as she lashed out. Must have thought that I was the queen bitch herself. Wouldn’t object to peeling that bitch’s skin off and making a throw rug out of it, but wearing it? A man’s gotta draw the line somewhere, no matter how much I want to make balloon animals out of her entrails.

Vanilla Fucking Skyy, the Bitchiest Bitch ever to Bitch from Barrow. 

Couldn’t she just stay in the fucking reject bin where she fucking belonged? 

And I was five hundred miles from showing her how much I hated her guts. 

I had to sedate Lindsay. Fucking bitch of the PTSD was kicking her ass, and there wasn’t a damn thing that I could do by myself to drag her back. And didn’t that just sting like unlubricated buggery? Lindsay is the fucking centre of my universe, and I couldn’t do this one simple fucking thing for her. 

Fuck Vanilla Skyy sideways with a rusty pitchfork.

Lindsay is still dead to the fucking world, and it’s that time of the night where time doesn’t seem to move. My phone says that its two fucking thirty, but it feels like it could be three, or four. There’s going to be no fucking sleep for me but it wouldn’t be the first time that I’ve gone without sleep.

The phone vibrates. Caller ID tells me that it’s John, but this is one phone call that I don’t want to take. How do you tell the boss that you’ve fucked up so much? For all I rag on my brothers, and tease the absolute shit out of them, they’re still my brothers. And there isn’t anyone worse to disappoint than fucking family.

But there’s no getting out of this.

“John,” 

“Mark. What happened?”

How the fuck does he know? Fucking psychic. “Bad fucking flashback. No getting her out of it, no matter what I fucking tried. Had to sedate her before she injured herself. Fucking Skyy”

John sighs heavily. “Fucking Skyy,” he agrees, and that throws me for a loop. That’s not like John, Mr Watch-Your-Language. 

“Say the fuck again?” 

John huffs a dry laugh. “You heard.”

“Don't believe my fucking ears, more like.  Don't tell me you're coming round to my idea of garotting the bitch?”

“For maybe thirty seconds,” he teases, and hell, that’s thirty more fucking seconds than he’s ever entertained the idea before. Fan-fucking-tastic.

“How’s the hard as nails fucker doing?”

“Bleeding,” John says laconically. “Head wounds, you know.”

“He’ll get over it,” I dismiss. “Putting Mya through table, and breaking Lilith on the fucking cage? Vanilla Fucking Skyy tapping him on the head isn’t going to stop him. Maybe we’ll get lucky and he’ll garotte the bitch for us.”

“Don’t give him idea,” John warns, but I know my brother, I can hear that fucking amusement a mile off. “Do you need us to come back sooner than planned, help you with Lindsay?”

How to fucking answer that? I take a deep breath and hold it, feeling my lungs burning as I look over to where Lindsay lies on the couch. She looks so peaceful at the moment, about as far from her demons as she could be. 

“I think I’ve got this, J.” I tell him. “Stick to your schedule. Just don’t miss the fucking flight, or Lindsay’ll be looking to strangle you.”

“Take care of her Mark.”

“Always.”

###JOHN###

It hurts, knowing that she needs us, and that we’re not there for her. I knew that it would happen someday, to be split between my daughter and Lindsay. I suppose that maybe I should just be grateful that I didn’t have my GCW obligations to contend with as well. Last time I checked, I wasn’t capable of splitting into three people.

I trust Mark, though. Even if he does have a sewer mouth, and worse temper, he won’t hurt Lindsay. He’ll look after her. And there’s someone else who needs my help right now. Gwen is wandering around as happy as a clam after her performance in the ring. Chris is egging her on, but I know that my brother is considering just who in GCW has a grudge against him. Enough to be sending threatening letters and lurking at any rate.

Right now, it’s Mordecai who needs my help. We’ve come a long way from the time when we wouldn’t have pissed on him if he was on fire. 

With this most recent event at the PPV, and all the events leading up to it, something seems to have shaken loose in him. Ever since he joined us, he’s been silent. We’ve guessed at how he’s been feeling by his body language, but we’ve been groping in the dark. But now...

After receiving the letter written in blood over in GCW,  Chris and I are a bit wary of missives pushed under hotel room doors. However, the one that I received was written on hotel stationary, in simple black biro, in spiky capitals. It was an address, and a simple word. ‘Please.’

Only one person it could have come from. And when our newest brother needs our help, we give it.

Which is the reason that I'm standing outside of an iron wrought gate in the drizzling rain. Down the road I can hear the engine of our taxi still idling, while Chris makes sure that the driver doesn’t decide to up and leave us. Mordecai has already stepped through the gate into the churchyard beyond, threading a path through the gravestones, and never once looking towards the old church that squats along the fence line. 

He’s been here before. He’s walked this path many times before. Lindsay will not be happy to have missed this, another piece in the puzzle of her mystery, but I take in as much as I can, to tell her when we meet again.

Gwen steps up beside me, clutching a white plastic bag to her chest, her eyes narrowed as she tries to watch Mordecai through the curtain of rain. She’s been carrying this bag since we left London, and not once has she let us know what the contents are. But by the way that her eyes have not left Mordecai, I assume that it’s something for him. 

The hairs on the back of my neck prickle, and I have the strongest sense that we’re being watched by unfriendly eyes. Beside me, Gwen shivers as she feels it to, and casts a brief look around, searching for bodies to match the gaze.

“Easy,” I tell her quietly. “Let them be.”

Her grey eyes, so like mine, are startled as she looks sideways at me.

“Would have thought you’d advocate for the direct approach,” she notes, sidling a step or two closer. Probably to try and use me as a rain shield.

“Only if there’s bodies to be direct against. Eyes can’t touch you.”

“Point,” she acknowledges, and again looks forward to check where Mordecai is. He’s barely visible through the cloud of rain, but he has stopped, standing still, with his head tilted down as he stares at something. 

“Speaking of points,” I take this chance to speak. It’s probably the last chance that we have for some modicum of privacy. “If you can, stay out of Skyy’s sightlines.”

She nods her head, absorbing my words, and she doesn’t ask for an explanation. I’m only her father, I can’t tell her what to do, or who to see. But she knows that I wouldn’t ask something like this lightly. And she knows enough of our peculiar family.

From what I know of Skyy, it isn’t her way to take it out on the innocents on her way to the target. She’s a single focused missile of pain and anger, and she’s heading square for Mordecai in retaliation for what he did to her. And fair play to her. We all knew that this was a possibility. After all, we took our pound of flesh on behalf of Chris. 

But I won’t risk my daughter on intel I can’t be sure about. And Gwen, deep in the hearts of all of us, is at risk in a way that none of the rest of us are. And if Gwen gets hurt because of something she had no part in....

I’d burn the world for her.

Mordecai raises his head, and his arm, beckoning us to come further into the churchyard. The gate squeaks, and the grass slides against my boots, releasing the damp green smell. Gwen slides in front of me, walking the same path as Mordecai did, her feet sure and steady as she still clutches the bag to her chest. The smile that he gives her as she stands beside her would outshine the sun, and it’s such a shocking contract to his usual expression that it catches me right in the ribs.

You learn the strangest things as a Minion to Shadowcat. Purple hyacinth for regret, and white roses for purity and innocence. The flowers that Gwen lift out of the bag are nearly luminescent in the silver rain, and Mordecai accepts them as gently as if Gwen just handed him her heart. 

He lays them just as gently at one of the gravestones, and his expression of grief hits me in the heart again. Gwen slips backwards to stand beside me and give Mordecai peace as he kneels in the wet grass and lowers his head.

The feeling of being watched intensifies, and out of the corner of my eye I spot movement in the foliage that is too sharp to be natural. Slowly, I slide into parade rest, my hands interlocking at the small of my back, just above the hilt of my concealed knife. 

No one will disturb our brother.

###JOSH###

Being the chauffeur of the family is awesome. I get to go on advanced driving courses, learning stuff that comes straight out of the movies. Not that I’ve ever had a chance to use it, thank the Goddess, but it’s nice to know that if the shit hits the fan, then I’ve got it covered. And I don’t have to wear a suit. It’s not that I mind suits, but with these shoulders? Nothing off the rack fits, and that means having to fork out for a tailor, or at least someone to do adjustments. I’ll stick to my denim, thank you very much.

Plus, I get to drive all the cars. All. The. Cars.

But if I touch John’s bike, I lose my fingers. 

And then you get days like today, where I’m playing bodyguard as well. So’s Mordecai, but John insisted that Lindsay use me as well. And he used that tone of voice that suggested that he’d be incredibly disappointed if Lindsay found some way to ditch us and play hooky.

So I’m parked up outside Sabrina Bello’s building while Lindsay goes and plays the charmer. Mordecai went with her, both to make sure that she was okay, and also because he hasn’t left her side since we got back to Toronto. As she’s still suffering from the effects of pretty much the last month, none of us are complaining that Mordecai is dogging her heels.

Lindsay can only have been gone ten minutes or less, before Mordecai slouches out of the door by himself, and heads straight for the car. I take a break from people watching, unlock the doors, and offer a sympathetic smile as he climbs in, and sags. 

None of us know what’s going on in his head at the moment, but ever since that match against Lilith and Mya, and being beaned on the head by Skyy, Mordecai has turned a bit more communicative. He’s still not talking, but he’s writing things down, and his face is turning out to be pretty expressive.

“Sabrina nix you going in?” I ask him, and he nods his head, shrugging his shoulders.

“Pay her no mind,” I advise. “Cos you have to remember, you are v, v imposing by anyone’s standards. And there was that whole Skyy/Darko thing that you were involved in. Daddy Darko has probably filled her brain with all sorts of poison. Let Lindsay leech some of it out. You know that she won’t stand for you being badmouthed.”

He frowns, and taps his hand against his knee four times. I rewind my sentences in my head.

“Daddy Darko? Nah, not her actual Dad, at least, not to our knowledge, but you have to admit, he acts a bit like it.”

He grins.

“Anyway, if Sabrina is angling to have the boss look after her, she’ll just have to get used to you being here. You’re not going anywhere.”

He looks a bit startled at the vehemence in my voice, but then the radio play starts, and our conversation pretty much goes out of the window until Lindsay comes back, and we have to move onto the next appointment.

Dante, on screen or in person is a very imposing figure, and pretty much stands out wherever he is. Neither he or the boss wanted to meet on their home grounds, which I suppose makes sense, and so this coffee shop seemed to be the best, as neither wanted to freeze their unmentionables off in a park.

The other patrons of the coffee shop are kind enough to pretend that we don’t exist, which is a bit of an achievement as you have me and Mordecai, radiating menace (hey, it’s fun!), and  flanking Lindsay, cold eyed and striking. And we’re heading straight for Dante, the biggest man in the room. 

“Lindsay,” he greets. “Mordecai,” and his eyes pass over me.

Lindsay rolls her eyes. “My boys are being...pushy,” she tells him with a click of her tongue. “Josh was the compromise that we could all live with.”

“Stop falling out of bed then,” I tell her. “And nearly falling down the stairs. And...”

Dante’s laugh interrupts me before I can get going, because, seriously, she needs to stop.

“He has a point,” he notes mildly. “But I’m sure that you didn’t ask me to meet you here to discuss your home life. Shall we get to the point?”

Lindsay nods, and slides onto the stool next to Dante. Mordecai steps in closer, as if to take part in the conversation (although he still isn’t talking), but his eyes meet mine, and there’s the faintest grin on his lips. He’ll stop Lindsay falling off the stool. I turn my back to the trio, and stare over the heads of the other patrons, keeping my face blank.

May as well start rumours, right?

They keep their voices quiet, but I know what they’re talking about. Lindsay is gently admonishing Dante for not telling her sooner about his desire to leave, and Dante will be pointing out that he had no obligation to do so. Lindsay will express her regret, and try to change his mind, and I’d say that Dante will politely tell her to take a hike. 

And then they’ll get to talking strategy about the match against Tombstone, both at the next show and in the Elimination Chamber. Which reminds me, we need to buy a hell of a lot more bandages and surgical supplies. Better start a mental inventory while the pair behind me talk, plot and plan. 

###CHRIS###

So, it’s been a whirlwind of a few weeks. I’m getting sick of aeroplanes, and the funky air. Just glad that my immune system is holding up and I’ve not come down with some form of nasty bug. 

But I’m starting to feel settled in my own skin again. GCW...it was an interesting experiment, and one that I’m happy to carry on with, even if it looks like someone is gunning for me. No change in things there then. 

I thought that it would be hard to go to EMERGE, to stand on the sidelines and cheer Gwen on, but it’s actually easy. I don’t know about anyone else in the audience, but I’m aware of the looming shadow of the SCW. Not hard when I’ve still got a crush a mile wide on a couple of their superstars, but hey, that’s me. 

Problem is, even if I’m happy to stand on the sidelines, my past isn’t.

It’s absolutely freezing in the barn on our property, but it’s the best place to come if you want somewhere quiet to think. With everyone fussing over Lindsay and rightly so, I’ve snuck down here to try and have a think about things, so that I can go back to being entertaining.

There is still blood on the floor that we never cleaned up after beating the shit out of Mordecai that first time. That was for me, that was my revenge for what he and Ms R did to me. And I was the one who had it easy, spending most of my time in their tender care under the influence of narcotics. Vee and Mya got it much worse.

And now it looks like Vee is coming back to get her pound of flesh. Or two hundred and fifty pounds of flesh. The Bitch from Barrow is not known for taking the easy route. 

Vee was my friend. Doubt she is now, considering my associations, but....I knew that could be the fallout.

Mordecai is my friend, stoic and silent as he is. But....to stop her calling in her marker makes me one hell of a hypocrite. 

“And then there’s Tombstone,” I change from thinking to speaking. “Trouble, trouble and more trouble.”

For a big man, Mordecai can move silently, and so when he chuckles, he nearly takes me out of my skin. He looks brightly amused at my discomfort, which is such a change from his usual blank demeanor. I think I like this new Mordecai. 

“Didn’t expect to see you down here,” I tell him. “Considering the way that you’ve been hovering.”

He shrugs, and drops down to sit beside me on the wooden floor, reaching out to trace a finger around the bloodstain. 

I can’t help but laugh at the motion.

“You’re very lucky,” I tell him honestly. “By the time these folks get through with you, it’s a toss up if you’ll even make it to the Elimination Chamber in one piece. Tombstone this time, someone else next time, and Vee walking around looking to turn you into a corpse...You’ll be lucky to have a pint left in your skin.”

He shrugs in a loose open motion, hands adding extra emphasis. He doesn’t need words to tell me that he doesn’t care. Vee is penance, Tombstone is work, and Mordecai will just do what he has to.

“Good job we love you,” I grin.
The Goddard family has been making a splash in recent weeks, it also started with Minerva, she had warned everyone in the squared circles of wrestling that she wasn’t alone. Soon, others started to surface from the Gypsy Clan that resided in Tombstone, a compound somewhere in the Texas desert. Eli Zachariah and Sawyer Goddard, the older brothers of Minerva and the prize sons of Jon Goddard, a man seen almost as a Messiah. Sundown as well, the monster they called a “Serial Killer “, who ran rough shot in the EMERGE brand of the SCW. Sawyer was a peculiar individual, he had a very interesting upbringing. The youngest son has been a bit eccentric, at times wearing severed animals head especially those of pigs.

Sawyer though had met Tatyana Petre, a Tarot Card reader and beautiful woman that seemed to take an interest in the twisted Goddard son through the readings, she traveled with the Carnival that frequented with Tombstone, bringing in income, it is where the family had begun, hosting at times with the Gypsy Clan. Sawyer always had an eye for her….

Tombstone
Somewhere in Texas
A Few Weeks Ago

Sawyer was wearing black jeans, boots and a t-shirt, standing looking out at the lake, Leonora was in a black dress, barefoot with her nails polished red, boots next to her as she dipped her feet in the cool water, she could see that something was bothering the one known as “The Pyg Man”….

Tatyana: “What troubles you, my Midnight Casanova?”

Sawyer: “Is this place, it’s so calm and serene yet the voices keep screamin’ in my ears and I can’t help but ta allow them ta, ya know? Subconsciously I want them ta stop and yet it’s a constant reminder of what I had.”

The Tarot Card reader takes one out of her deck, buried inside her dress pocket, she holds it up, her green eyes gazing over at Sawyer….

Tatyana: “The Death card. Is this why it was chosen, Sawyer? Is there a story behind this you wish to speak of?”

Sawyer: “Yeah. I don’t talk about it much, I can only feel it when it hurts.”

Tatyana: “What is it?”

Sawyer: “I don’t know if I should speak of it. Ya might find me ta be weird, strange.”

Tatyana: “You wear pig heads and dress like this, I think we are passed strange.”

He starts to chuckle, glancing over at her beautiful smile….

Sawyer: “Fine, do ya wanna know why I only paint half my face?”

Tatyana: “At the risk of sounding corny and cliché, I want to know everything about you.”

Sawyer: “Really?”

Tatyana: “Yes, listen to me Sawyer, I want to know everything about you.”

He slowly turns to her, squatting down and running his fingers through her long auburn hair. Her lips and bright eyes capture him in stillness for a moment, her beauty paralyzes Sawyer, caught in a gaze, one that he had to control for Sawyer had a tendency of being too “rough” and persistent with women, he couldn’t take rejection and has hurt many in the past whom Jon Goddard and Sherriff Austin covered up….

Sawyer: “Two became one. I had a Twin brother, Samuel. He drowned in this lake, I was afraid ta swim, I could have saved him and instead I watched him die. Paralyzed in fear, I couldn’t move a muscle and or even scream, not even a small sound, a squeal or peep. I saw the fear in his face, turn pale until he went under. It wasn’t until Sundown came and jumped in ta get him….. by then it was too late. “

Tatyana: “My dear, how horrific, it must’ve been very hard.”

Sawyer: “It was hard but then I felt weird afterwards, ya know?”

Tatyana: “How weird?”

Sawyer: “On the day we buried him, I felt his soul enter mine and we became one. Since then I promised to wear half his face. I know, it sounds sick….. twisted, stupid, dumb. It’s real, I tell ya it’s real.”

Shaking her head, Tatyana’s hands with the long and pointy finger nails, caresses the side of his face with the paint on it, bringing him in closer, a gentle kiss planted on that part of his features. His blue eyes gaze at her…..

Tatyana: “Don’t you think that Samuel, would be proud. Just like your family. Now you set out for your destiny with Eli, Sundown, Minerva and your papa. I will be there along for the journey whether physically or in spirit.”

Sawyer: “Easier said, I’m a freak.”

Tatyana: “I prefer eccentric.”

Sawyer: “Poppa always hid me, afraid ta let me loose, he thought that I couldn’t blend inta this gorger society. Minnie did it, well… she tried anyway. Funny how people turn so quick. I get ta fight all these so called wrasslers, icons and now monsters who have become a fixture in the biz and some assholes that can’t win a match. All they needed ta do was unchain me. They liked ta keep me locked up. I was, unstable.”

Tatyana: “No, you were conflicted. We all have our crosses to bear. You and I are no different. For a very long time I have watched you, seen you go through the motions and steps until I allowed the cards to speak for themselves. This is the road you must take.”

Sawyer: “I know. It was our time coming. Eli and I were going to help Minnie no matter what. We had always promised that sooner or later the three of us would be in the ring, including Viveca and now Sundown. They don’t know what’s coming Tatyana. They don’t understand what lengths we’re willing to go….”

She smiles, leaning in and kissing him gently on the lips, just then Eli walks up from the path. He is in jeans, a t-shirt and trench coat, carrying an axe….

Sawyer: “We marked this spot.”

Eli: “Your spot? Boy, I’m the one carryin’ the axe. Since the beautiful lady is in my presence, I will show my manners.”

Sawyer: “My brother loves me.”

Tatyana: “I see that.”

Eli: “We have a very special relationship if ya know what I mean.”

Tatyana: “I can only. I was simply preparing him for his challenges ahead.”

Sawyer: “Dante and Mordecai.”

Eli cracks a smirk and shakes his head, he walks up to the lake and looks out at the water….

Eli: “It’s like the River of Styx. I feel as if we need coin, give it to the carrion so we may pass. We can’t let poppa down and Sundown…. Minnie or Viveca.”

Sawyer: “I know big brother.”

Tatyana nods, Sawyer kisses her again on this time on the lips, standing up and walking over to his brother, Eli speaks softly…..

Eli: “You told her about Samuel?”

Sawyer: “I did.”

Eli: “Can we trust her?”

Sawyer: “Yes.”

Eli: “You know that we Protect Our Own, very few are allowed in our circle.”

Sawyer: “Poppa will understand, especially when we bring them the heads of those that get in our way in EMERGE, ya know that Eli.”

Eli: “Ain’t that simple lil’ Brother. We got rules ta follow.”

Eli chuckles a little, still looking out at the lake….

Eli: “Look, If ya trust her, I will trust yer judgement. Just remember lil’ brother, we both have a task to accomplish, no distractions.”

Sawyer: “Big brother, we all got distractions, like Min…?”

Eli: “…. Not this conversation.”

The older brother hoists the axe on his shoulder and walks away, passing Tatyana….

Eli: “So does that shit really work, them cards?”

Tatyana: “Yes they do.”

Eli: “I want ya ta read mine. Fer now, do what’s best fer him…. Don’t distract him, I’m tellin’ ya this fer yer own good.”

Tatyana: “The big brother, protective of his little one, I admire that.”

Eli: “I ain’t protectin’ him, I’m protectin’ ya.”

Tatyana says nothing, Eli looks back at Sawyer and nods, walking back into the woods. Sawyer stands there, glaring out at the lake. The gorgeous Tarot Card reader stands up, she makes her way to Sawyer, bracing him from behind….

Tatyana: “Remember the card…. Death.”

Sawyer simply cracks a smile…..

Later that day…

Every ever since the Goddards had left to begin their war of attrition, the compound itself had begun to fall into disrepair. John had expected as much beforehand, the people here while free to do as they please but deep down still needed a sense of direction. They had been following John for a long time after all. Jasper played his role, but he wasn’t getting any younger after all…

So our focus is on the centre of the compound, folks all doing their part but our focus shifts from the grander panoramic view to that one Eli Goddard. Holding Axe in hand, with nothing on from the waisit up he chops wood in the blazing sun. In the distance by the well, we see John Goddard watching with a bucket in hand as he begins to now walk towards his eldest.

John: “Eli!”

Eli pays no mind, lost in his own small word where he is in control. He slams down the axe onto of the wood and the impact alone causes it to split into four chunks, a testament to the strength he has. He kicks off the remnants before placing another log and slamming the axe down ontop of it, probably thinking it was Mordecai or Dantes skull laying there…

John: “Eli, you ignoring me boy?”

Eli wasn’t ignoring him per say, he was lost in the moment. But that soon ended when some of the bucket splashed into his back bringing him back to reality! The cold water on his hot skin causes him to spin around with the axe only to stop  inches from Johns face where he hasn’t moved at all. Immediately Eli steps back and drops the axe to the ground looking away…

Eli: “Sorry pa… I didn’t mean…”

John just laughs while putting down the bucket and sticking a old tin cup into it to fill up with water which he hands to his son.

John: “You don’t need ta apologize boy, you reacted as expected… What’s on yer mind? You’re choppin up a lot of wood, you lookin’ to build a dam around here?”

John chuckles to himself looking at the litter of wood, the nights were getting colder here so it mde sense to do this but even still, eli wouldn’t let anyone else contribute to this task.

Eli: “No dam, it just… Makes things simpler for me pa, that’s all.”

John: “I understand, you got a lot on yer mind. Sawyer and Wendell?”

Eli: “Yeah, though I worry for Sawyer more.”

John: “I do as well, but I rest easy knowing he is with you to keep him on the path. His mind is fractured beyond repair, we can only nurture that which was left in the tragedy’s wake.”

Eli: “I know… I’m tryin’ but these gorgers are influencing him.”

John: “How so? You speakin’ of that Jenni Helms?”

Eli shake shis head as he takes a sip from the tin cup of water and sighs.”

Eli: “Naw, but the lifestyle the folks out there live. It’s poison, our Sawyer looking for romance now.”

John takes the cup and refills it to drink some of the water himself. He looks at Eli surprised at the news of this romance, Sawyer seems to be chasing.

John: “Romance you say, who’s the lucky lady?”

Eli says nothing at first, but then speaks up…

Eli: “Tatyana… I caught em by the lake, talking.”

John: “Just talkin?”

Eli: “Yeah…”

John: “That’s the tarot reader isn’t it? I knew her mother she was good people, she was wise…”

Eli: “Well I don’t like it, we don’t need distractions, we have a job to do.”

John: “Aye you do, but we all need comfort for our souls that is the truth of it. Even you Eli need a little distraction, you can’t be choppin wood the rest of yer life, you’d be better of jerkin it off.”

There is a sudden pause between the two before they both laugh, Eli rarely laughed in a jovial way because it usually meant someone was about to get hurt. But the truth is he did have amazing smile when he did.

Eli: “I don’t need to Jerk it.”

John: “Ah, so there is someone then?”

Eli: “I have my eye on someone yes, but I’m not ready… I want to do right by our family, by this war we’ve started. My heart can wait even if Sawyers cannot.”

John: “I understand son, just don’t let this war consume you. Leave some time for you to reflect, you’re a hunter you know patience is key. Only fools rush in, and we’re no fucking fools.”

Eli: “I know… I know…”

Eli nods to his father and the two look on as Sawyer and Tatyana are seen waling out of the woods side by side. There is a smile on his face which in turn puts one on Johns which Eli catches. There was more to Sawyer than Eli knew, something John hadn’t told anyone.

But Eli never questioned his father, he knew better than that.

All he could do was do as he was told, and that was to cleans the poison that was permeating in Emerge, a poison that had seeped down from SCW…

The camera is on, we find ourselves somewhere in the sticks. Trees surround us, a small fire burns brightly on the ground.  From there the sound of footsteps on broken twigs can be heard cracking like bones in the night…

REC

The smaller Sawyer steps up into the camera view and begins to speak in his torn jeans, shirtless with a black jacket and half his face painted…

“Ya know, the sayin’ goes the bigger they are the harder they fall. We already know that this world is made of Gods and Monsters, the kind whom empower themselves with the talent of castin’ doubt which produces fear. What if ya boys met a man that had no fear? He was afraid of absolutely nothin’? Instead he’d put everythin’ on the line ta make his point be known. See, I’m the kinda man that doesn’t prey on the weak, instead I find the biggest beast in the field and rip em’ apart with my bare hands. They say, ya know them scholars and shit, it’s our carnal desires. What separates man from animal. I don’t know, I think I kinda embraced it. Made it a part of me…..

And now I wanna make it a part of ya Dante and Mordecai, even that lovely Shadowcat. 

I think we are sendin’ mix signals here so let me clarify it. 

Eli and I, Sundown, poppa, the rest of our family? We ain’t just some relics, a bunch of inbreds or trailer park trash. My accent may make me look stupid. Ya elitists and socialites poke fun of us. Mordecai and Dante on the other hand are hell bent on revenge fer what we have done recently. Do ya think we didn’t know the consequences walkin’ inta EMERGE? Did ya believe fer one second that Eli and I were just gonna come here and look menacing and not act upon the mission that we are sent here fer which NONE of ya know what the hell it is? 

We do.”

Sawyer smirks, his eyes narrowing….

“Some may call us religious zealots, others some creepy family outta a horror flick. Do we look like cartoon characters? See, Mordecai is a man that at one time kidnapped that pretty Vanilla Skyy and tortured her fer a week. Dante was an unstoppable beast in all of his promotions and yet the sins of those who committed those acts toward the men and women, even that gorgeous Willow Wilkes, think that retribution ain’t comin’ ta them?

WE are that Retribution, ya stupid sons of bitches.

Eli and I, we aren’t here ta win matches. We aren’t here ta hold gold though we ain’t turnin’ it away because ya see, when we do, we take what ya want and go from there. See boys, I’m lookin’ right at ya Shadowcat. Yer sexy, yer luscious and enticing, but yer kin, yer acolytes, yer monsters, they ain’t gonna stop us. Nothing will….

Until we decide, we are through with them….

And then?

I’m coming fer my just desserts.”

He steps back, turning toward Eli who nods and walks up to the camera….

“Ignorance is bliss, you think you know us but you don’t. You think you understand us, but you do not. You’re blind to everything around you because you look only as far as the tip of your noses. You’ll understand soon enough though, because examples have ta be made once again it seems. You boys just don’t take no for an answer, you’re a little hard of hearing? You’ll stubborn and you something in life time I’d respect that. But I respect very little from the two of you because you’re not truly in sync, unlike Sawyer here and I.”

Eli looks down and lifts his hunting knife, a large machete.

“See this, you speak of war, you speak of chaos. This here had slain monsters, it has eradicated demons. You want to talk like you’re these beings with no souls. I lost my soul the day momma died. This isn’t a sob story, just the reality of things. Violence, that’s my key, that’s my addiction.

The hunt is my life and taking down my price game, well that’s the reward isn’t it. Taking you both down it will be challenge, no doubt about that. Ya’ll make it difficult, but that there done lies the excitement. Sawyer here spoke the truth that it isn’t about the gold that rests on the shoulders of those two gorgers known as the Marvels.”

Eli shakes his head, just as Sawyer does behind him.

“It’s about inflicting pain, but we know that you’re able to receive a lot of pain. You’re able to persevere so we’ve had to look, elsewhere haven’t we? See everyone has a weakness, and we know what yours are boys, and Sawyer and I are going to have a lot of fun when we face you two. Now it won’t be for the faint of heart, that there Drew Bryant better give out some warnings because what we’re going to do to you won’t be considered legal in a few states.

The funny thing here is you think we’re jokers, you think we’re playing a role. This is our life, this is the way things are around here. It how we survive, because we’re doing this for the greater good. All ya’ll greater good… But it is like what our poppa says, actions speak louder than words because the time for talking is over…

See you two real soon.”

Eli looks back to his brother Sawyer who now steps alongside of him, the two smirking towards the camera. The flame from the fire lighting them up n such a way it is considered creepy….

Fade to black.
[Image: DDSdCJQ.png?1]