Taking Hold of the Flame Battle Royal
I of the Storm

“What Could Have Been...”

Hennepin Healthcare Clinic – Urgent Care Wing
June 15, 2019
11:54pm

“I said, 'No'!” Deanna exclaimed as she held her arms out – though she wasn't entirely sure how much of the nursing staff she was going to be able to block with her small frame – the male nurses, on their own, looking more like football players or bouncers than medical staff. 

She could believe that she was having to fight the staff again. Even if it was a different doctor and nursing team this time around, how frigging hard was it to relay messages between teams?

“Mrs. Frost, be reasonable.” chastised the man in the front. Unlike the team of two men and one woman behind him, who wore scrubs of blue and green, this person (a little taller than Deanna) wore round glasses and a 'doctor's coat'. It wasn't the attire, however, that was causing Deanna to stand between them and the bed behind her, but rather, it was the stand with the bag of chemical and the IV that was attached to said bag. “She is clearly in a lot of pain and we want to fix it.”

“You think I don't know she's in pain?!” Deanna huffed, refusing to lower her arms as she stood there. She had not bothered to change from what she had been wearing earlier – she had believed that, whatever happened, her wife would have returned to her, sore but looking for comfort and snuggling with her beloved pet. So, Deanna had dressed just for that – her wife's 'blue Frost' hoodie' and gray trackpants – perfect 'snuggling' attire. 

But when reality had happened...

“She's my wife!” Deanna added fiercely. “Not just some patient like she is to you! She's EVERYTHING to me!”
“Then why don't you let us help make her more comfortable so she can rest fully and recover?” the doctor asked – Deanna catching the annoyed glances from the nursing squad further back.
“Because my wife can't have painkillers!” Deanna stated. “Like I told the last team that came in here thirty minutes ago!”

She was really annoyed by this. Regan and Kennedy, who had become dear friends of her wife, had come and gone at Deanna's allowance – the redhead having assured them that if there were any issues, she would contact them on Selena's cellphone, which sat in Deanna's pant-pocket. She had considered herself fortunate that none of them had seen her fight so hard the first time to prevent the medical team at this healthcare clinic from hooking Selena up to whatever painkiller they had.

She'd never forgive me if she woke up with that thing in her arm... Deanna thought, her eyes locked on the sharp needle of the IV she could see in one of the male nurse's hand.

The doctor, meanwhile, had moved a little to the seat to pick up the chart at the foot of the bed. He eyed it carefully before turning his attention to Deanna. “It doesn't say anything here that she is allergic to painkillers.” he stated flatly, clearly not impressed with the younger Frost's impeding of his duties.

“That's because she's not allergic.” Deanna stated, crossing her arms. “She's a former addict, okay? She's been clean for a long time but she refuses any kind of painkiller, regardless! So if you come any closer with that-” she pointed at the needle in the nurse's hand. “Then I will scream for whoever is YOUR supervisor and I'll sue this whole clinic for malpractice and disregard to patient care!”

She had no idea what she was talking about – and it was clear that some of the nursing staff thought the same thing, given their 'we're not buying it' expressions. Still, it wasn't them she was trying to convince.

“I see.” was all the doctor would say before shuffling back to his team. “Well, once she is awake, the decision will be up to her. But if you are...her caretaker-”
“Her wife.” Deanna stated flatly. “It's 2019.” she added with a narrowing of her eyes.
“Then I will adhere to your wishes until then.”

The doctor gave a nod before quickly excusing himself from the room, no doubt forgetting about the stubborn redhead as soon as she was one foot out. Quietly, Deanna breathed a sigh of relief before turning around to face the bed she had been protecting on and off for the past hour.

Lying there, covered mostly by a sky-blue blanket, lay her wife, Selena. “You could have said something.” Deanna whispered with a sniffle, reaching up with a hand to rub her nose. “I mean – two is better than one, right?”

No response was given and Deanna hadn't been expecting anyway. Solemnness in her heart, the young girl walked around the bed, back to the side she had stood by in-between fighting the staff, gently retook the closest, pale hand of her wife's that she could, holding the appendage gently within her hands. “Okay, maybe you wouldn't say anything, but you could definitely give him a dirty look with your eyes!”

Casting her eyes upward, Deanna saw the quiet expression of her wife, Selena's eyes were closed and most of the lower section of the face was covered by the breathing tube that had been pushed down her throat as soon as they had arrived. She could hear the machines working on the other side of the bed, telling Selena's body to breath and exhale as they filled and removed air from her lungs. It bothered Deanna to know end – something, anything, telling her wife what to do. That's not how she is...

She knew she was being childish thinking this way, but there was no other way for her to think. She had barely any time to process what had happened. One second, she had been watching Selena's match on the television inside their tour bus, the next, the window just a few feet from her had been smashed open but a sledgehammer! She had barely had enough time to scream in shock and fear before scrambling to the other side of the bus, trying to get away from whatever maniac was after her. One second later, hearing all the officials out there – and even Regan screaming – she had turned her head and seen...and seen...

Selena on the ground, not moving...

Much like now....

Closing her eyes again, not only to stop the tears from falling from them, but to try and drive that image out of her head, Deanna lowered her head to kiss the soft knuckles on her wife's hand. Hard to believe that the hands that defended and sacrificed so much for SCW – that were often bloody and stomped on, could feel so soft to her. Few people understood that, and no one but Deanna truly knew how soft and loving Selena's hands could be...

How she longed for those hands to touch her now – help her drive out the reality of this moment. 

“Come on...” she whispered with a half-smile. “You're supposed to be up by now.” she tried. “I mean, if you're just going to sleep around all day, then who's going to take me shopping around Minnesota tomorrow like you promised?”

No response was given, Selena not moving from her place on the bed. Deanna's eyes scanned her wife's face. She saw the platinum-blonde hair – undone and fanned out over the pillow. She saw the bruises lining her wife's arm, growing in color as they developed. She had no idea what else was hurting her wife, and were it not for her wife's past issues with NX and painkillers, Deanna would have done anything to help her alleviate the pain she knew her wife would be in when she awoke.

If she awoke...

Deanna banished that thought as soon as it was formed. The doctors had looked her over as best as they could. There were no spine injuries – thank the gods – no broken bones... just bruises and trauma from the fall...

The fall through the...

Again, Deanna abandoned the thought mid-form. She had heard from Regan, Kennedy and some of the staff that had stopped by. Her wife had been lucky to fall on the crash mat rather than on the solid steel of the ramp... as if that was supposed to pacify her. What was she supposed to do? Thank Giovanni for his benevolence? Despite her not being involved as heavily as other partners and managers in this business, the redhead was smart enough to know that there was nothing 'noble' in that man. He hadn't 'aimed' for crash mats. He had just desperately thrown her wife wherever he could...

Taking a deep breath through her nose, Deanna gently held her wife's hand to her cheek, feeling the cool, softness of the skin against hers.

“Remember?” she whispered. “You said you wanted a black suit to wear for our second wedding.” she bit her lower lip, unable to stop the thoughts that came to her head. Their second wedding, to be held at the Schoenburg Castle – the place of their honeymoon – was less than a month away. It had been short-notice for Deanna, who Selena had surprised with a few weeks ago, but the Snow Queen – her beloved wife – had planned it as perfectly as she could. Even in the involvement of Nicodemus in an attempt to bring down the Frost/Frostmere clan had not deterred the redhead from smiling brightly when thinking about it, feeling the joy of marrying her beloved once more...

She could not feel that now. Now, all she could see was her wife, at best, limping down the aisle with her and...at worst...

She slammed her eyes shut again, but this time, the tears fell freely down her cheeks. Why was her family being punished for being good people?! Their daughter, Elsianna? For defending a helpless animal, was now scarred for life, her arms literally set on fire by an evil child. And her wife? For defending a title she cared for – defending SCW, the federation she cared for – she was, like so many other times since Deanna had known her, left bruised and hospitalized.

How much more can she take? Deanna thought, using her free hand to wipe away the tears on her cheeks. How much more can I take?

It was a pair of questions that had often visited the young woman's mind – especially in such situations as these, the answer always being as elusive as a foggy mist.

“I can...” she opened her eyes again to gaze at her wife's face. “I can picture it.” she offered. “But I rather you have your hair free...like it is now.” she reached up with her free hand to take a few strands of Selena's platinum-blonde hair in her fingers, gently letting them run through her digits. “I think if I wore the dress Mercedes fixed – still can't believe she got all that Play-doh and peanut butter stains off it – but I think if I wore that with the new veil she added and you wore a suit... it would look so beautiful... don't you think?”

Deanna stared quietly at Selena's face, which gave no expression or reaction to her words. It was enough to cause a few more tears to fall from Deanna's eyes before she shook her head, burying her face in Selena's hand again.

“Look, I don't care why you did it.” she pleaded. “I don't care if you were stupid. I don't care if you have to do it again! I don't care if you have to get revenge! I don't care if we have to delay the wedding. I don't care if you have use a wheelchair to go down the aisle because you're so stupid and stubborn and loving and caring that you'll just do it anyway rather than cancel it – I don't care! I just wish you could come back...” her cries had become moreso that than pleas as her tears dripped upon Selena's hand. “Just please... Selena... come back to me...” she finished as a whisper before the sobs overtook her ability to speak.

Come back to me...

Selena's eyes snapped open as she jolted back, her feet catching her from falling to the floor despite her wearing heels. Quickly, her eyes scanned the small, confined room around her, seeing the mirrors on both sides of the space while there were silver, large doors (reflective as well, but not as much as the mirrors) on the other sides of the wall. Her eyes took in the button-pad in front of her, and it was that that reminded her that she was inside an elevator.

How long was I out? she asked herself for a moment before she felt the elevator give a jerk, indicating it had reached her floor. The movement gave her a, somewhat,  clear answer to her question. After all, she reasoned as she looked around the small confined room again, she was the only on in the elevator, and while she didn't remember pushing the button for the floor, who else would have? 

Still, as the door opened, Selena gave her head a solid shake to clear up the cobwebs. It was hard to believe she had dreamed so much in such a short time. The elevator ride was only a few floors, from the top floor of the arena to the basement where the backstage space was, but damn, it was something else. The only thing she could recall was that she had been falling. Falling from a great height, as if she was flying or parachuting, but she had had neither wings or a parachute. There had been a thought in her head, she recalled. Something like Get to her! Get to her! – a damn compelling force that had almost made her want to sprout wings and fly, to where and to who, she had no idea. 

“Maybe it's just stress.” she sighed as she walked out of the elevator, reaching up to fix the top of her black, pantsuit. Before her eyes, she could see the white halls of the backstage area – the arena of tonight's show, though she could not recall which arena/town she was in. After so many shows like this, what was the point in remembering? It just made it all the more depressing to the young Snow Queen.

She heard the clicking of heels, hers, as she walked down the hall, passing several staff members as she did. Most of them had their hands full of equipment, and some were clearly struggling with seeing where they were going – mostly because of the round shades they all wore as part of the “uniform” (along with the tie-dye, swirled shirts that read the company name).

Still, Selena knew better than to question something like that. It was just the way things were. She had enough to fight over, which was probably way she was being called to the “depths” as people were calling it. Unless you were called down there, you didn't go there – you didn't bother the boss and the staff.

I think Katya would have been a better choice than this... Selena thought bitterly as she walked, feeling the tightness of her hair bun at the back of her head. She wasn't allowed to wear her hair in a braid anymore. That had been one of the first rules for her specifically – it had been either the bun or cut the whole thing off. With a sigh, she adjusted the black glasses that rested on her nose, the glass in front of her eyes having no alterations for the one viewing through them. It was all for appearance.

And that's what it's all about now, isn't it? another bitter thought. One of many that plagued her mind as she continued to walk through the halls, turning at one intersection to enter a larger space with concrete floors. She could see skyjacks and cables and wires and even a scaffold of sorts, but she refused to look at that for too long – just made her skin crawl. 

“Ooo, someone's in trouble.” she heard from beside her. With a turn of her head, she gave a roll of her eyes. “When am I not in trouble?” she asked plainly to the man standing beside her.

“Fair enough.” he gave a grin and Selena could see the struggle in his eyes.
“You in control?” Selena asked with a lifted eyebrow.
“Depends on who you're asking.” came the reply as the man leaned against the skyjack. “Not like you could do anything about it one way or the other.”
Selena sighed. “I just want to know if I'm going to be jumped or beaten up this time around.”

With a smirk, Abel shrugged. “Not by me. Not this time.” he added. “I'm not interested in the boss' sloppy seconds.”
The notion made Selena's skin crawl, but she kept her reaction as down as possible. “Flattering.” she settled on saying.
“Well, it can't be too bad.” The wrestler formerly known as James Evans grinned before crossing his arms darkly. “I mean, if I haven't heard or been told anything, he might only want to scold you for last week.”

Selena gave no immediate response. She had made a mistake – she knew – when she had run down to the ring and gotten involved. It was rule one of the federation's new system: Don't get involved in the boss' work. 

Essentially, that translated to, whatever the boss did, no one got in the way. She had done that when he had tried to beat some “sense” into the young, newer talent, Owen Cruze. The boss had taken a liking to him after the whole fiasco in the chamber. And while he had lost the match, the boss had noticed how well Owen had performed – something Selena had known for a while. So, Owen had become his... “special project”... was that how the boss had put it?

Regardless, Selena had defied him in running down and helping Owen last week and she KNEW that this was the reason she was being called down. 

“Maybe he'll do me a favour and suspend me like he did Regan.” She half-smiled hopefully.
“A mercy killing?” laughed Abel. “If I'm not that kind, you think he will be?”

Abel's loud laugh filled up the space, causing Selena to shake her head as she walked past him, continuing her way down the, seemingly, never-ending hallways. She couldn't really blame the young for how he was now. Just like she couldn't call the staff stupid for wearing sunglasses indoors as they worked. Everyone was just doing what they could to keep their jobs – keep their livelihood just that... alive.

Though, like many times before, Selena wasn't entirely sure why she still wanted this livelihood so badly. There had been a time, not too long ago, that this had been everything to her. The travelling, seeing the world, defying expectations that people had put on her as a woman – similar to her life in Nome, Alaska. Defying those norms and striving to be the best? They had been worthwhile goals. But, the sad truth was that those days were gone and now? Now, the platinum-blonde felt more and more like she had back in her hometown, waiting tables for the drunk and ignorant people that could only see her as “The Crazy Miner's Daughter”. 

Conceal... Don't feel... she quietly thought, breathing fully and deeply to control her various emotions. This place hadn't broken her yet and, while she couldn't do much, she was still going to do all she could for those that couldn't fight for themselves. For those that hadn't given up yet like James had to – the poor boy allowing his alter-ego to run rampant in order to have a modicum of peace from the boss and his staff.

Her thoughts stopped suddenly as she suddenly found herself standing in front of a large, wooden door, the words “Rabbit Hole” carved on it (as if by a knife). Same as every other arena... do they even charge him for that or does he cut it from our pay? Selena mused before lifting her hand up to rap on the door a few times.

There was a moment of silence before the door was swung open and the Snow Queen immediately came face to face with a pair of wild eyes. Their owner sniffed and snarled at her, as if she was a scrap of meat that was meant to be devoured. Had Selena not been used to this kind of mannerism from the man, she would have jumped back or even fled the scene in terror. But she had been here enough, seen the effects of those broken by the boss and, instead of fear, all she felt was a deep sadness at the multi-colored-mask wearing man.

“Hello, Konrad.” she simply said, the sadness evident in her voice and bleak smile. “Boss taken you out on your walk yet?”

Like James/Abel, Selena knew that the creature she was addressing wasn't truly Konrad. The man known as Iceman had been one of the first people to be crushed by the boss' new regime – his will, Selena once believing to be the strongest SCW had ever seen – having been shattered from months and months of mental assault. Now? Like with Abel, the personality the boss wanted had taken over and Black Ice was left staring at Selena. She had spent a few matches with this creature, and, while she knew she shouldn't tease or mock him because of how dangerous he was compared to Konrad, she still couldn't bring herself to accept that this was it for the veteran wrestler... that part of him could still be there...

Not today... she sadly told herself, standing her ground in front of the door while the masked man snarled at her.

“Let her in.” came the commanding voice and immediately, Black Ice suddenly disappeared – as if he was yanked back into the room, allowing the suited platinum-blonde to follow him inside, closing the door behind her. 

The sight before her eyes didn't surprise her: she had been here many times. The bright fabrics of red, purple, blue, orange, really the entire spectrum, hanging off the walls, the carpeted floors that had to be put into the space at every arena they went to, the beanbag seats that littered the far end, the lava lamps that took up every corner of the “office”, and, most of all, the repugnant smell of smoke coming from the hookah that was by the largest, rainbow beanbag seat, the occupant taking a long smoke of it as Selena stood before him. Like the beanbag seat, his attire was rainbow, tie-dyed – a multicolor business suit where Selena's was stark black.

“Ah...” he puffed with a smile, the smoke from his throat coming out in a cloud that made it halfway towards Selena before dissipating. “Selena.” he grinned. “Glad you got my summons.”

Selena did not reply. She had learned that dealing with the new boss of SCW – No... she mentally corrected herself. WCW... was best left to allowing him to ramble and chat until he directly asked a question.

“Do you know why I called you here from on high?”. Such as that...
“You mean from my changeroom in the farthest bathroom in the arena?”

“A palace built for a queen, yes?” smiled the slimy owner, causing Selena to sigh and reach up to scratch her temple. To her right, she could see the boss' cohort, Sam, holding Konrad's chain-leash, giving it a quick tug as her eyes met Selena's, as if to remind her that, at any moment, Sam could let Black Ice loose on the Snow Queen.

“I imagine I'm here because I got involved with Owen Cruze's match with Konrad and James-”
“Black Ice and Abel.” corrected the sunglasses-wearing boss. “Your limitations and labels on my people have long since been removed.”
“Well...be that as it may.” Selena stated. “I interfered in the handicap match, so you're probably going to punish me for it.”

There was a moment of silence as Selena stared down the rainbow-suited man, who pushed himself out of his beanbag chair to stroll around the room. “You know...out of all the free denizens of my Wonderland... you are the only person that can't seem to get with the program.” he gave a shake of his head. “Why do you fight me, Selena? Can't you see the good I've done? I can understand your stubbornness for the first few months while the power was transitioned to those that deserved it, but now?”

Despite herself, Selena did her best not to roll her eyes at the same old dribble she had heard from him every time they met like this. She had thought him unbearable before, but now? With his control over the place she loved? It was near-enough to make her want to give up and quit just like...like...

Selena bit her lower lip hard, but not enough that anyone in the room would notice.

“Is it because you're not 'The Face of SCW' anymore? That you have been delegated to what you've always been? The errand girl of whoever is in authority?”

Selena's jaw clenched shut but she kept quiet, despite her boss prattling on.

“Your role hasn't really changed when that is considered. I mean, you were the 'yes' woman for O., fighting all his battles for him against Regan and everyone else. You were the 'yes' woman for Sasha, fighting her battle for control for her. And all you did was serve them so you could be the poster-girl for their company. Now, I've let you keep that position as secretary here – running errands for me and for my staff. How is that a bad thing? Is it the uniform?” he eyed Selena up and down, making Selena's skin crawl. “I thought it was becoming of a secretary.”

“I am not a secretary.” Selena stated finally. “I'm a wrestler.”

“You WERE a wrestler.” the bearded operator replied, waving a finger at the Snow Queen. “But I will not have a general of the Lizard Kingdom infecting what I have perfected. Your job is to do as I say for the betterment of the Wonderland. Now, that might involve being in a match, if I say so, but you are simply 'the Snow Secretary' – no big matches, no big spotlight, no fans cheering you, no titles, nothing! Are we clear?”

She wanted to yell back. Wanted to scream that that was NOT her nickname. She had fought like hell to get to where she was – never given any handouts and fought for everything she believed in. It didn't matter who was in power now – she was tired of having her identity dragged through the mud because of-

“Or...” came the smug voice of her employer. “Do I need to remind you that it really is your fault that you're so unhappy?”

Selena's eyes widened, her previous trail of thoughts and confidence gone in a second. Immediately, as if like a movie, the memory flashed across her mind. There she was, dressed as the Snow Queen, fighting in the chamber at Retribution, three teams fighting for the very control of SCW! Sasha, her mentor's daughter, having a team with her, Owen, Kennedy and Regan against The Beauty Network and the Wonderland! The battle had waged on, with Selena starting the match against James Evans and she had been so tired...so banged up from the length of the match...

She had made a mistake – taken her eye off the ball for a second...

And, what could have been a defining moment for Owen Cruze, had become the clear-cut victory for the man standing before her now, grinning from ear to ear.

“You don't need to remind me, Giovanni.” Selena stated. “I remember.”

The boss, Aries, gave a click of his tongue inside his mouth before nodding his head. “I thought so.” he stated in smug triumph. “So, what shall we do about this then? I mean, I could have YOU face Konrad and Abel tonight. Would that seem fair?”

Selena said nothing, resigned to her fate.

“Then again...since Owen DID win his match last week, which I'm sure he would have done without you – sad you don't believe in him as much as I do – perhaps I could give him a shot at the World title?”

Selena's head snapped up. “NO!” her voice dropped in a plea.
“Why not?” Giovanni asked. “Does he not deserve it? I believe in him...”
“You know why not!” Selena implored. “Syren won't give him a fair shot! She'll have everyone on her team ambush and hurt him! For fuck's sake, she almost crippled Sienna!”

Selena had no love for the Iron Angel, that much was certain, but even she could not believe that Sienna had deserved what had happened. Syren had returned a few weeks ago in a desperate attempt to reclaim her spot as the World Champion, which Sienna had been the Interim champion of. But rather than seek a fair “winner take all” match like Sienna had wanted – Syren had simply struck with Ravyn, Alexander Crowe, CHBK, and Christy Matthews – the Beauty Factory unaware and unprepared for the assault. Now, Sienna was on injury leave, leaving Syren as the only World Champion in WCW.

And what had Giovanni done?

Part of Selena wanted to scoff but she stopped herself. The owner had done nothing! He didn't care about the titles, the main-event, or what either of those things represented! The only thing he cared less about were the people under his employ. He was thrilled that people were acting out as however the hell they wanted to! He adored the chaos! And as long as Syren didn't bother him and his “Wonderland Championship Wrestling”, she could get away with whatever the hell she wanted!

“I think you give too little credit to the boy.” Laughed Giovanni. “I think he has what it takes to become world champion.”
“Not if you just let Dark Fantasy rip him apart before the match like every other competitor that's gone after Syren!” Selena countered.
“Oh?” Giovanni gave a tilt of his head. “Do you recommend someone else for the boy? What do you think Sam?”

He turned his head to his associate, he kept her hands gripped around the leash of Black Ice. “Well...” she seemed to think it over. “Perhaps the Snow Secretary is right. I mean, maybe Owen needs a bigger challenge!”

“A bigger challenge, you say?” Giovanni asked in feigned enthusiasm. “What did you have in mind?”
“Oh, well, if I had to follow Selena's train-of-thought, since she thinks Owen deserves more than the WORLD TITLE... I'd have to say... maybe Xander?”

Selena's eyes widened and she almost screamed, but her voice was caught in her throat. 

“Ahh...” Giovanni turned to Selena. “Now THERE'S an idea!”

Desperately, Selena fought to give her voice some strength. She had to stop this! She had to say something! Syren was bad enough! A nightmare even, but Xander?! Xander Valentine, the Executioner of the Wonderland... that was a death sentence! He had almost broken Selena's vehicle to pieces with a sledgehammer a few weeks ago simply because she had stood in his way from killing Brittany Lohan after the two's match. Thank the gods no one was in the vehicle... 

And then the others? Sasha, Dean Black... she closed her eyes to try and stop the memories and the tears at the same time... Mr. D.... she had been powerless to stop the monster from destroying the old man, Xander showing no mercy to the creator of what was once SCW...

“Please...” she felt her voice squeak. “Please...don't...”
“What was that?” asked Giovanni, holding his ear with his fingers. “I can't quite hear you.”
“Please don't do this.” she repeated. “I'll do anything.”

There was a moment of silence, but Selena knew that her boss was smiling his Cheshire cat grin at her defeat. This was how it always went down. Giovanni knew how to hurt Selena – knew how to make her buckle and surrender. She hated him having that power over her, but, in the end, she cared too much about everyone else. And she blamed herself for every failure that SCW had suffered as it had been transformed into the nightmare that was Wonderland Championship Wrestling...

“I'll tell you what.” offered Giovanni. “Since I am benevolent, I will say that you 'encouraged' me to give Owen Cruze a world title match tonight – since you seem to like that idea better than this newest one. Unless, of course, you want me to go full head and send him to 'the creature of the Wonderland'?”

Quickly, Selena shook her head, earning a grin from Gio. “Splendid. Have faith, Selena! Owen just might be the next world champion! The Wonderland supports him! Why don't you?”

Selena said nothing, merely settling her eyes down at her hands. Moments like this, beaten, emotionally and mentally, was when she felt so alone. How many of her friends had quit here as soon as Giovanni had taken over? Kennedy... she couldn't endanger her husband from Gio's wrath. Regan? Suspended indefinitely... Gloria Braddock? A new friend, Selena had hoped, but that light had been quashed when Gio had locked her in a room with Black Ice...

She was the only one left... in a never-ending losing battle with the Master of the Wonderland.

“And as for you...” Giovanni's words, coupled with a snarl from Black Ice broke her thoughts. “You can be in Owen's corner tonight! I insist upon it! You can watch him become a world champion the likes of which you could never be!”
“Headlining Rise to Wonderment!” Sam added with a sneer.
“Quite so!” Gio laughed. “You never did that, do you?”

Selena said nothing but shook her head as she kept her eyes on her hands. 

“Well, you can watch all of that! But, I trust, for your sake, that you believe enough in Owen not to interfere this time around. Otherwise...”

Selena quickly nodded her head. “I won't.” she promised. “I swear.” she added. She knew what Giovanni was implying. Not only would he sick Xander on Owen is she disobeyed, but she, herself, would face 'the creature of the Wonderland'...

“Well...” laughed Giovanni in delight. “I don't know about all of you, but I think this meeting was quite beneficial! And with 'Taking Hold of the Rabbit' around the corner, I feel we ALL need to be on the same page for the Wonderland. Don't you agree, Selena?”

“Yes, sir.” Selena replied with a nod of her head.
“Very good.” Giovanni stated with a wave of his hand. “Dismissed.”

Selena turned quickly and walked out of the room faster than thought possible. She was back in the hallway and several paths down before she stopped to punch the nearest wall. She wanted to scream but it felt like her throat was blocked. Every part of her hurt, even her body – which made no sense aside from her hand feeling warm and... wet? For a moment, Selena cast her eyes on her hand, seeing the tears there. Reaching up, she felt her cheeks, which were dry.

Had she cried in front of Giovanni? Oh, he would have been so much happier if she had, and it was another nail in Selena's heart. Another failing of hers as “The Face of SCW” - THERE IS NO SCW ANYMORE! her mind screamed as she stood against the wall, wrapping her arms around her. 

She was so tired... so tired of being along. So tired of feeling powerless. So tired of watching the place she loved sink deeper and deeper into...whatever THIS was!

But what could she really do? She was alone. She was powerless. And this place? This was the Wonderland now...

Opening her eyes after a few more breaths, Selena pushed herself off the wall. She wished she could be in her dream again. The one she where she had been falling and falling. Maybe she would crash, maybe she would fly – but either scenario seemed better than the hell she found herself in. And in that dream, she had been looking for someone. Her mind had been screaming “Get to her!”, she remembered that much. 

For a brief moment, Selena's heart filled with something she had not felt in so long. Wishful hope. To have someone you needed to save – someone that was more than a peer/fellow wrestler – someone that was just more... Selena ached for someone like that in her life. She envied 'dream Selena' as she walked down the halls again, not caring which way she went until something filled her ears:

”Come back to me...”

She froze, turning her head towards the sound and its origin – two massively wooden doors. Had they always been there? Selena had no idea, nor did she fully know how she had gotten to this place, but as she gazed at the wooden design, she knew exactly where she was. For on the door, etched in black like the mark of Cain, was some kind of serpent, but, at the same time, not a serpent. It had arms, it had claws, it had – Selena could not make heads or tails of what was on its face... but, despite it, she knew what this symbol meant...

The Creature of the Wonderland...

She heard the heel of her shoe snap before she realized that she was running. Her feet stumbled but she did not fall – she was not so lucky as “dream Selena” to fall forever – she just shrugged out of both shoes, leaving them there as she continued to run from those doors. Running on and on until she was certain she was away from it – as far away as possible. Back at the top of floor of the arena, in the farthest bathroom in the building – where no one bothered to go to.

Her “palace”, according to Giovanni...

The platinum-blonde slumped to the ground, her hand over hear heart, trying to calm it. Why had she ventured to that dreadful place? Why had she allowed herself to get lost in the “depths”? Why did she have to torture herself by fighting the power when, if she just got along and did what she was asked, things would be better?

And yet, more powerful than these familiar questions was the one that haunting door she had fled from had raised – Who was that voice? And why did part of me... WANT to go inside?

Pushing herself up, Selena leaned against the cold sink of the abandoned restroom, the single light on the ceiling flickering on and off. Quietly, she turned the faucet on and splashed her face with cold water - so many months of crying had made her not wear makeup these days. She wanted to strip this suit off and don her wrestling attire. She wanted to go out to the ring and speak her mind! To inspire like she use to...

Like she use to...

Did that Snow Queen even exist anymore? Selena thought as she gazed at her reflection in the mirror. She could only see the bruised expression and blood-shot eyes before her, not the smile of the woman that had once declared that “believing” was enough to conquer any obstacle – that fire called passion was enough to be the best...

“I'd give anything to have her back...” she whispered to herself as she lowered herself to her knees, her head resting against the porcelain sink. 

But sadly, as she waited there for her next summons – this one for tonight's show – she knew that this wasn't supreme championship wrestling anymore. This was the Wonderland...

And there's no such thing as wishes in the Wonderland...

[Image: tetXUW1.jpg]

The screen flickers a little, the graphic not loaded as seamlessly as it usually is before the shot immediately changes – not to one of the arena where Taking Hold of the Flame is being held or inside the ring of said arena – but rather to what appears to be the interior of a study room/office. In the background, there is a wide shelf of books that stretches as far and as wide in the back as the camera can view. What takes up the foreground, however, is far more surprising as, like the scene, it is not what is accustomed to the promo style of “Frozen Central”. 

For instead of a platinum-blonde Snow Queen sitting in the middle of the ring, ready to discuss the immediate future of herself and of SCW, the audience is greeted to the image of a red-haired beauty as she fidgets with the cellphone that is recording her.

There, hope that looks even... she whispers before sitting back in her chair. The woman's hair is wrapped in a loose ponytail, but a few strands remain to frame her sweet, gentle face. Her features are soft, save for one element – the blood-red eyes that indicate this woman has either not been able to sleep, or has been crying recently. Still, she takes a deep breath before as she settles into the large, dark blue armchair.

Giving a quick smile, she waves a shy hand. Hi, guys... her voice is a little shaky, but what else can be expected from Deanna Frost? I know I'm not usually the one that shows up and talks for these things – and I've never really seen myself as someone that can do what my wife does. But...

Emerald eyes look away from the camera in her phone, Deanna's gaze becoming a little distant, as if she is lost in thought. But it seems that I can't help but be dragged into it over and over again. And it's not like I don't get it – the first time this happened, Chris Cannon pulled me out of my seat, over the guardrail and threw me against the ringside plastic thingy- the redhead snaps her fingers. The barricade! That's what it's called.

Reaching up, her small hand massages both her temples with the thumb and two front fingers that can reach. My point that I'm trying to make, I guess, is that I've been happy being the supporting wife for my Selena. And for people that don't like dealing with her – or can't deal with her – inside that ring, being her wife makes me a target. Odds are there hasn't been many managers or spouses that appear at shows that don't have a story or too about their significant other or client “bringing their work home” in such a way...

She chuckles a little as she supplies the air quotes with her fingers and hands. I'm blabbering, I know. I just – it's hard for me to cut to the point, because, even though I get it, I don't really understand why, I guess? she tilts her head to look at the camera. Because this should be a time that I should be trying to control my wife's excitement, right? How many years as she wanted to give you guys “The Unbelievable Main Event”? It comes by only once a year and every year, I swear that no one works harder than Selena to be ready for it. I mean, when she won the U.S title, all she wanted to talk about was her defending it as much as she could and taking it all the way to Rise to Greatness – maybe even to the main-event of the show! I mean, you guys should have seen her!

Deanna's expression brightens as her voice suddenly adopts slightly more proper tone and accent. Wouldn't that be amazing, De? Putting the United States Title on the line in the main-event of Rise to Greatness? How much more unbelievable can you get? It's never been done before! she drops her accent. I wish I could capture that smile on her face all the time. Bring it back whenever she needs it...like now... her expression falters. 

Maybe I'm too hopeful. Maybe I don't get the meaning of things here or 'how things go' in SCW like Selena does, but with such happiness and worthwhile goals to strive for... I don't get what would possess a man like Xander Valentine to come after me and my wife's bus with a sledgehammer. Are you afraid of my wife, Xander? Is that why? Were you too scared to just challenge her to a match? I mean, you didn't even try that approach. Didn't walk up to her and challenge her, just took a sledgehammer and went to town!

I won't lie, you scared the hell out of me. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been so scared as that moment, Xander. It replays over and over in my head. When Chris Cannon grabbed me years ago? That didn't even come close – and I was terrified back then! And keep in mind, that was when he was just a pompous jackass – not the evil, dark and brooding 'I-don't-care-how-many-people-I-hurt' guy that piledrove Blake Mason! The only comfort I had was that my babies weren't with me on that bus...

Awkwardly, Deanna runs a hand along the back of her skin, scratching the skin, irritated. 

And while all that is happening for me, there's a person that comes online and tells everyone that my wife “deserves this”? That she has only herself to blame? That it was her ego that put me in danger?

Deanna clamps down on her bottom lip with her teeth, biting a little harshly before opening her mouth again to speak. Can you confirm that, Xander? Did my wife's 'ego' lift up that sledgehammer or was that you? Because I think that if my wife was THAT good, being able to wrestle a scaffold match AND destroy her own bus at the same time, I wouldn't EVER have to be scared for her wrestling in roofed cages or scaffolding matches or Tactical Warfare matches, would I? 

And if anyone is asking, THIS is why I've hijacked my wife's computer to put together this segment, using her format. Because I think that someone – a non-wrestler that actually watches the show – needs to say something to the slimeball that declared that my wife's ego was responsible for Xander's actions.

Deanna narrows her eyes.

How dare you, Mr. Aries. How dare you blame my wife. You think my wife is responsible for what happened to me? Why? Because everyone knows you're the mastermind behind it? Because you're trying to deflect that certainty onto someone else because you thrive under the notion of chaos? Is that it? My wife is one of the most amazing women I have ever known – she'd never deliberately put me in danger – me or my children. Know why? Because a ) unlike you, she doesn't need to involve me in her life inside the ring to be great. And b ) most importantly, because she loves me.

Do you know what that is like, Giovanni? Of course not – you've slandered the notion of love and marriage – I remember. You tweeted about it - “Marriage and monogomy is evil. Limiting.”

Well, I find it amazing. Finding that special someone – living for them? It's like those lifetime goals you and other SCW wrestlers preach about. But this one goes on and on for the rest of your life. You don't stop after you “win the title” or “become world champion” or “get in the hall of fame” - and there isn't a retirement. You work at it every day with the person you've shared your heart to. The person you've promised to give everything you are to. 

That's love, Giovanni. And that's what Selena has for me. That's what Selena has, period. So when you call it 'ego', it irks me. Because you think you can tell the difference between the two.

A sad chuckle escapes Deanna's lips.

You want to know what 'ego' is, Mr. Aries? Ego is losing a match and whining for months that you “let that person win”.
“Ego” is coming out to your wife's entrance, not because you want to honour her but because you want to mock her and hurt her.
“Ego” is, whenever a 'great plan' goes wrong, you lie to the world and say “I knew that would happen! It's all part of the plan!”. And because that example isn't as obvious as the other two, I'm referring to Ravyn when I say that.

Deanna shrugs. ”Ego” is declaring yourself the “Queen of Queens” or a “Goddess” and everyone should bow – I could go on, but I'll just use two more: she hold up her fingers to designate the number.

”Ego” is thinking you're above the title you hold and “ego” is blaming an elderly man for your own shortcomings...

You recognize those last two, Giovanni? Those are you. And they are what I see whenever you talk about Lizard Kingdoms or about my wife. Because, deep down, you hate her. You hate her because she's done so much more than you. Just like Regan and Kennedy. 

I remember last year. How you won this upcoming event last year. You didn't seemed to mind the 'allure' of gold then. You didn't seem to mind fighting for SCW then, did you? Didn't boycott anything, did you? But you failed. Came up short – and every time you look at my wife, at Regan, at Kennedy, you see something you've never been. Hell, I'll go as far as to bet the real reason you tore about the United States Title wasn't because it was some 'hypnotic tool' by the lizard people, but because looking at it reminded you of how close you came to finally becoming the World champion – and how you couldn't do it.

The redhead sighs. I don't have many regrets in my life, Giovanni, and none that have really haunted me. I live each day the best that I can, because it might be my last, and I make sure to love those that love me with all my heart. 

But you? All I can see in you is bitterness. Same in Xander Valentine – 

I mean, you have Xander – this supposed powerhouse, this monster, that ran roughshod in SCW during its earlier years. He disappears for years and years and then comes back and thinks SCW hasn't evolved, hasn't improved, hasn't grown and he should be hailed and feared as he was before. Basically, he's a male Syren – I know that will upset him, but that sense of entitlement? Yeah, that's Syren through and through. Thing is, SCW isn't the same. There are people that work harder than before. It's a new breed and Regan Street? My wife? They're leading the charge. And that's all Xander sees when he sees SCW and sees my wife. Someone that isn't a pushover like those he faced in the beginning. Someone that can bring the fight and isn't afraid of him.

And then we have you, Giovanni: Someone that came in for a short while in SCW, achieved nothing, and ran away with his tail between his legs. I don't know if it was 'too hard' or whatever the reason, but you came back better than ever and motivated yourself to actually get closer to the World title, and we all know how that went – 

You said my wife's ego is what cost her and what endangered me... Giovanni, this WHOLE Lizard King thing? This whole “Xander terrifying me” thing? It all has been because of your two's egos! Face it, Giovanni, the reason you went after Mr. D. is because your ego couldn't accept that you weren't good enough to beat Kennedy Street and become the World Champion. Xander Valentine? This whole attack was because he can't accept that he isn't the monster that he once was. That the SCW roster doesn't fear him like it use to. 

Know why, Giovanni? Xander? Because my wife faces monsters like you, Xander, and ego-driven eccentrics like you, Giovanni, on a regular basis! Matt Auclair? Chris Cannon – hell, Rachel Tatum Lee is scarier to her than you are, Xander! Cause she doesn't have to hide behind anyone to do some REAL damage!

Deanna shakes her head.

You mock my wife when it is your egos – fueled by fear of being ignored or forgotten - that are so out of control. You take something beautiful like the representation of hard work – a championship title – and you drag it through the mud. You take something like a wife supporting her partner and you make it into mindgames and assault because you lack the courage to beat my wife fair and square. All the while breaking the spirits of men and women to try and corral them into your ranks. 

But you don't care about them, do you, Giovanni? You don't care about James Evans and how he struggles. You don't care about Owen Cruze and how hard he is working to be his own man. You don't care about Konrad Raab and his struggle to find his identity.

Because to you, and your ego, Giovanni, these people are just 'weapons', aren't they? Those were your words last Breakdown, weren't they? Weapons for the Wonderland? Targets to use against the people you are so jealous of – Regan, Selena, Kennedy...

That's why you've hidden away from the royale, hasn't it? That's why you've refused to not only defend the title you've won, but refused to even participate at the pay-per-view. Because how much would it hurt you if your Wonderland – Konrad...Damien...
Deanna's throat hitches a little at the next name. Xander... what would happen to all your egos if you got yours and were unceremoniously eliminated by the people you've done nothing but mock, cheat, steal from and insulted week after week?

She shakes her head. I know – and SCW knows – that my wife isn't lead my ego. She loves this business. Loves the United States Title and representing it. And she would do anything to protect SCW and would proudly fight till her last breath – not for fame or glory or the spotlight but for what she believes in. 

And that is what I can't find forgivable about you two. That you take something so beautiful - like love - and you twist it. You try and make it into something hideous. You try and paint her into this thing that she is not.

A sniffle comes from Deanna before she seems to become more resolved in her expression. Well the both of you will fail. You hear me? she straightens herself. The both of you will fail! Because if I can see your actions for what they are – your egos for what they are – then so can the smarter wrestling fans! You're going to fail because my wife is so much stronger than that! My wife is so much more driven than to be taken down by your cowardice and your words! Yeah, you may have the momentum right now and you may have the United States title, but there's a reason that Selena has never needed the main-event at Rise to Greatness or “The unbelievable main-event” to become a star like you needed, Giovanni. There is a reason you hate her as much as you do, Xander.

The both of you know what happens when you knock my wife down. She doesn't hide like you, Mr. Aries. She doesn't disappear for years like you, Xander. No! She gets right back up!

So go ahead and keep trying to cover her with your filth, your lies and whatever your little group can make up. Because sooner or later, my wife is going to break free of all that and her love – her love for this business – is going to take down all of your egos and shine through.

A quiet laugh comes from the redhead.

You know, I actually feel sorry for the two of you. The last person that laid a hand on me? He ended up getting put on the shelf. The last person that endangered my family? Selena destroyed him at Rise to Greatness and ran him out of SCW for good.

Maybe Giovanni is safe in whatever hole he's going to hide in that night... but Xander? Even Konrad or Damian if they show up?
Deanna shakes her head.

I cannot imagine what my minx is going to do to you...

Reaching forward, Deanna pushes a button on her screen and the footage goes dead.
[Image: hffOaUZ.png]
SCW Supreme Champion
6x SCW World Champion
4x SCW World Tag-Team Champion
2x SCW United States Champion
3x SCW Adrenaline Champion
SCW Television Champion
Longest Reigning SCW World Champion (234 days)
Winner of Shot of Adrenaline Tournament (2016)
Winner of Best of the Best Tournament (2016)
Winner of Trios Tournament (2018)
Winner of U.S. Championship Tournament (2020)
Winner of World Championship Tournament (2023)
Winner of Tactical Warfare (2014, 2019)
Winner of Elimination Chamber (2015)
Winner of Roofed Cage Match (2019)
Winner of Last Person Standing Match (2019)
The Unbelievable Main Event (2021-2023)
Winner of Double Jeopardy Match (2022)
Winner of EOTY Invitational (2023)
Female Wrestler of the Year (2016, 2021, 2022)
Tag-Team of the Year (2020 - w/ Regan Street)
Match of the Year (2018, 2019, 2021, 2023)
Feud of the Year (2014, 2019)

[Image: 34zetxl.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Taking Hold of the Flame Battle Royal - by SnowQueenSCW - 05-30-2019, 10:02 PM