Taking Hold of the Flame Battle Royal
28th May 2022

Miami

Owen: That’s not what it looks like Regan.

Owen glances at the photos again… he knew EXACTLY what it looked like

Regan: No? Well, it certainly looks like you hugging my daughter.

Owen: Yes, but as friends. Where did you get them from anyway?

Regan: That’s doesn’t really matter does it? I’m guessing you’re not going to embarrass yourself further and try and claim they are fake?

Owen: No, they aren’t fake. Jen and I have been spending a little time together. That time, she came to see the house, nothing more.

Regan: So, these pictures are just hugs between friends?

Owen: Yes, that’s exactly it.

Regan: So why when I asked her where she had been going for days on end, she lied to me and told me that she was going to modelling shoots?

Owen: I don’t know… maybe she didn’t think you’d listen. Maybe she thought you’d react like this.

Regan: How am I supposed to react Owen? After what you did to her, after what you did to David. You were lucky I didn’t slit your throat. And now it seems that you’ve been going behind my back and having cozy little meetings. I won’t let you hurt her again Owen. I’m going to tell you this one. Stay away from her, or next time I won’t be anywhere near as civil.

Owen: Regan, I’m a different person now. I know I did wrong. Not only to your family, but to Mom, Peyton… it’s quite a list. I’m trying to do better, and part of that is making it up to Jen anyway I can. Out of everyone, she is the one I want to believe in me, and yes… maybe one day I would love it if we got back together because I truly believe that she is the one I should be with for the rest of my life. I don’t want there to be anymore lies Regan, but I promise you, head on heart. Jen and I are NOT back together. We are friends, and right now that’s enough for me.

It was an impassioned speech, and it does indeed soften Regan a little. There was no question that Jennifer had been at her happiest when she had been with him, before it all went awry. Maybe he did deserve a second chance at proving himself to the family, and perhaps she was being a little harsh considering the events that had led to Owen losing his mind. If Jennifer was happy again, then maybe she could be as well… for them.

Regan: No lies huh?

Owen: No, none. There have been enough lies to last a lifetime. I mean it Regan, if friends is all there is, that’s good enough for me. I don’t know who sent you these photos, but whoever it is, they are trying to stir up shit.

Regan nods, understanding but needing to ask on final question.

Regan: Did you sleep with her?

Owen hesitates, not expecting that question. He wants to say something, anything, but can’t make the words escape his lips. His silence was all the answer that Regan needed however.

Regan: You son of a bitch… I knew I shouldn’t have trusted you.

Regan turns to leave, having heard more than enough. Friends didn’t sleep together, and although Jennifer had been there as well, right now she held Owen firmly as the one to blame.

Owen: Regan please…

Owen places a hand on her shoulder and instinctively she spins around, pushing him backwards and causing him to fall over a stool and crash down on the floor. Owen screams out, his right hand immediately going to his left wrist.

Owen: My wrist… I think its broken.

He winces as he tries to move it, Regan looking at him wide-eyed. She hadn’t meant to hurt him, it had been an accident, but… this was bad, Taking Hold of the Flame just around the corner. Regan was angry, so very angry and before she knows it, words leave her mouth involuntarily.

Regan: Stay away from Jennifer or next time it will be a whole lot worse.

Owen tries to get to his feet, but Regan is already heading to the front door.

Owen: Regan wait.

She opens the door and slams it behind her, almost running to her car and getting inside. She looks at the house, at the front door, troubled by what she was about to do. But when Owen appears at the front door, still holding his wrist, she guns the engine without even looking back. Owen stands there, holding his wrist, leaning against the door frame, whilst trying to ignore the intense pain. He looks at the wrist, that is already starting to swell, and his thoughts turn to Taking Hold of the Flame, now just over a week away.

Owen: SHIT!!

28th May 2022
Miami

Owen sits in the waiting room having just had an x-ray and with his arm in a makeshift sling. Charlotte had come with him to keep him company, not that he had been very talkative, a whole host of things running amok in his head. First, Regan reacting like that had taken him by surprise, thought it really shouldn’t have. But secondly, and right now more importantly, Regan could have just put him on the shelf, and out of Taking Hold of the Flame… and for what? Owen didn’t know who had been trying to stir up trouble, but the fact is, this time at least, he WAS telling the truth, but Regan hadn’t been willing to listen. Now, everything was in real danger of going to shit, and if his wrist was broken there was nothing, he could do about it.

Charlotte: You want me to fetch you a coffee or something? They did say it might be a while.

Owen shakes his head

Owen: Nah, I’m wired enough already. I just need them to come back with these results.

Charlotte: So, are you going to tell me how it happened? And don’t tell me it was an accident, or that you walked into a wall.

Owen: I’d rather not if it’s all the same, it’s kinda embarrassing.

Charlotte: That’s makes it even more intriguing. Come on, I promise I won’t laugh.

Owen sighs, there was no getting away from it. Charlotte wasn’t going to let it go.

Owen: It was Jennifer’s Mom.

Charlotte tries to keep a straight face but can’t and bursts out in laughter. Owen glares at her, shaking his head, knowing he shouldn’t have said anything.

Charlotte: So, you got beat up by the potential Mother-In-Law? That’s priceless.

Owen: You know who her Mom is right?

Charlotte: Nope, does that information make it funnier?

Owen: No. Regan Street was until recently a professional wrestler like me. One of the very best in fact. There would have been no shame if she had beat me up that’s for sure. In fact, it wouldn’t have been the first time.

Charlotte: Oh. OK.

Charlotte understands that he is being serious, so immediately stops laughing.

Owen: Someone sent her some pictures of Jen and I hugging…

Charlotte: Who?

Owen: I don’t know, someone obviously trying to cause shit for me. Could be you for all I know.

Charlotte: Owen, I’d never…

Owen: I know, it was a bad joke.

Owen shrugs his shoulders as his ‘joke’ misses the target.

Owen: Anyway, she got totally the wrong end of the stick…

Charlotte: Well, not entirely

Owen: Do you want to know the story or what?

Charlotte: Sorry, carry on.

Owen: She asked me if we’d slept together, and I couldn’t lie.

Charlotte: And she lost her shit?

Owen: No actually, she went to leave and as she did, I grabbed her shoulder she reacted and spun around, pushing me instinctively. I fell over a stool or something, and smashed my wrist on the floor. The rest you know.

Charlotte: And she just left you?

Owen: Yeah, and that’s when I called you and I didn’t have anyone else.

Charlotte digests the information she had now been given and understands why Owen had been so quiet. She thought it had been embarrassment, when it was Regan’s reaction that had troubled him most after he had worked so hard to be a different person.

Charlotte: I’m glad to help. Sorry I made a joke about it, I didn’t realize.

Owen: It is what it is. I just want to go home so I can crack open a beer and forget about things for a while. Just hope it isn’t broken or else I’m screwed for next week.

Taking Hold of the Flame was just around the corner, and Owen was looking to win the whole thing having come up short against Josh Hudson. He wouldn’t be able to achieve that if he wasn’t cleared for action. If his wrist was broken, he’d have no chance.

Charlotte: I’m sure it will be fine.

Owen: I hope you’re right, but it hurts like a bitch and its twice the size it should be so I’m sorry if I don’t share your confidence.

The swing doors open and both Owen and Charlotte look towards them, their faces dropping with disappointment as another patient walks through. After a momentary silence it is Charlotte who speaks.

Charlotte: Can I ask you a question and if I do, don’t take it the wrong way?

Owen: Sure, not going anywhere.

Charlotte: Is Jennifer worth it?

Owen must react a certain way that makes Charlotte wonder if she should have asked the question as she is quick to explain herself.

Charlotte: I mean, I’ve met her. She’s beautiful, kind, funny… I can one hundred percent understand why you want to be with her, but it sounds to me like you would never have her Mom’s approval. It’s important to have your parent’s approval for any relationship so is it worth all the suffering?

Owen: Thing is Charlotte, if you have someone like Regan are your side, she will have your back wholeheartedly. When Jennifer and I were together, she was with us every single step of the way… Dave, her Dad was as well. But she is also fiercely protective, and if anyone threatens her or her family, it takes an awful lot for her to back down.

Charlotte: It sounds like you are making excuses for her.

Owen: You know what, perhaps I am. I don’t know why she bailed, but what I do know is that she didn’t mean for this to happen. But to answer your question, yes, Jennifer is worth it. She’s my one, I know it… and I think if you asked Regan, deep down she believes that too.

Charlotte nods her head, fully understanding even if she didn’t agree.

Charlotte: So, what you going to do?

Owen shrugs his shoulders

Owen: I don’t have the first clue how I’m going to deal with it, but first things first, I need to know what the damage is to my wrist, and whether I’m going to be able to compete or not.

Charlotte: Are you going to report her to the police?

Owen: Nah, I don’t think there is any need for that. Like I said, I just want these results. I need to know… the rest of it I’ll have to deal with later.

Charlotte: You’re more forgiving than me that’s for sure.

Owen: I truly believe it was an accident. We’ll laugh about it one day.

She saw the look on his face and knew that he wasn’t as certain as he was making out. However, she decides to leave it. Owen said that right now it wasn’t important, and she would respect that… even if right now she believed that she was a far better fit for Owen than Jennifer was. And she came without all the drama. The doors swing open again, and the Doctor that had taken the x-ray steps out, motioning for Owen to follow.

Charlotte: I’ll wait here.

Owen senses her annoyance but makes his way into the Doctors office and takes a seat.

Doctor: So, we have good news.

Owen: We do?

The Doctor brings the x-ray up on screen, Owen not sure what he is looking out other than it’s his arm.

Doctor: The wrist isn’t broken and there are no signs of fracture.

Owen: That’s a relief.

Doctor: However, you do have a minor sprain which is what is causing your current discomfort.

Owen: A sprain?

Doctor: Yes, just a Grade One, so no big deal. Should be healed fully in the next two to four weeks. Until then, keep the wrist elevated, no heavy lifting and you should be fine.

Owen: For two to four weeks?

Doctor: Yes.

Owen sighs deeply

Doctor: I’ll prescribe you some pain killers, take the full course and there shouldn’t be any reason to see you again.

The Doctor writes out the prescription and slides it towards Owen.

Doctor: Try to stay out of trouble for a while huh.

Owen: Yeah, sure thing.

He gets to his feet, and without saying a word leaves the office, meeting up once again with Charlotte. She sees the look on his face and assumes the worst.

Charlotte: Is it broken?

Owen: No, it’s not. ‘Just’ a sprain.

Charlotte: Oh, so what does that mean?

Owen: It means that thanks to Regan, I’m out of the Pay-per-view.

Owen picks up his jacket with his good hand and makes his way towards the exit, Charlotte pulling a face and then following. She knew what this meant to him, both things that he loved now apparently out of his reach and she sighs, a smile forming on her face. Knowing that hers was probably the shoulder he would cry on. Or, at least hoping it was.

31st May 2022
Texas

Charlotte never got the chance to make her move, because the moment that Owen realized the threat this was to him taking part at Taking Hold of the Flame, he knew precisely who it was he needed to visit. Within a couple of days, and with his wrist now bandaged up rather than in a sling, he was on a flight to Texas, to meet Daisy at the place where everything has restarted for him. The Slaughterhouse. When he got there, Daisy hadn’t arrived yet, but thankfully her Father was, and so he spent half an hour talking about pretty much nothing, a nice distraction from everything else. But once Daisy had arrived, her Dad had almost immediately made himself scarce, Daisy already informing him that they had important things to talk about. Rather than sit at the table, or on the sofa, Daisy decides that’s the Slaughterhouse itself would be a good location for this discussion to take place. The place where Owen had worked through all of his emotions and come out the other side. As he enters the Slaughterhouse, he immediately sees the meat hooks and cannot help but grin, remembering the sheer fear as they were swung towards him, the pain if one of them should connect. Daisy pulls out a couple of chairs, and positions them next to the giant freezer, another place with ‘pleasant’ memories, and then she motions for him to sit. Once he has, she joins him, and immediately points to the wrist.

Daisy: So, Regan did that?

Owen nods, holding it up and moving his wrist ever so slightly.

Daisy: On purpose?

Owen: No, or at least I don’t think so. Pretty sure it was an accident.

Daisy: Funny how many accidents occur when Regan is around isn’t it?

She says it with a sly grin… in many ways her and Regan were very much alike.

Daisy: You always knew that Regan and David would be a huge obstacle for you and Jennifer. AJ as well no doubt.

Owen: I know… kinda hit home exactly how deep the feeling is. I’m not sure she’ll ever change her mind to be honest so where does that leave us.

Daisy: Try not to worry about Regan. She’s good friends with Rachel, and she’ll listen to her. No promises, but that may well be your best shot. David and AJ… well you might just have to fight that one out. It was always going to be a long-drawn-out process and not everyone was going to forgive you.

Owen: Yeah, I know… more concerned now about telling SCW that I can’t compete this Sunday

Daisy: And why would you do something as stupid as that?

Owen holds up his damaged wrist, an incredulous look on his face.

Daisy: Is it broken?

Owen: No.

Daisy: Then you can still compete… did you not learn anything between these walls?

He looks confused, whilst at the same time Daisy looks more than a little disappointed.

Daisy: In the wild, if an animal is injured it doesn’t just give up. It adapts, and it fights, just like you need to do on Sunday. OK, it’s gonna hurt, no doubting that. But you’ve experienced pain far worse in your life, some of it right where you sit right now. It’s your left hand that’s injured, so use your right. Don’t show anyone you’re hurt, and they won’t know will they?

Owen: That simple huh?

Daisy: No, course it isn’t simple. Nothing worth doing ever is. You have two choices really, either give it your best shot, or walk away and fight another day. This is the second biggest PPV in the world, I think we both know which option you are going to choose. All I’m really saying is you can still do this; I know you can. You’ve been through a lot worse.

Once again, the memories come flooding back of the slaughterhouse, the metal hooks slicing his skin. He felt more confident now that he could compete and not make a fool of himself, but still in the back of his mind was the potential for further, more longer lasting damage.

Owen: OK, I’ll give it a go and hopefully no one will have a clue. Can’t imagine SCW would be happy if they found out I’d wrestled injured.

Daisy: Just use everything you have learned Owen. Go past the threshold of what you think you can do, and win Taking Hold of the Flame.

Owen: OK, I’ll give it my best. I promise I won’t let you down.

Daisy: You’d never do that Owen. In fact, that brings us nicely to what I wanted to talk to you about.

Owen: Oh yeah, I’d totally forgotten about that.

Daisy: I think it’s time for our partnership to come to an end.

Owen: What? What do you mean?

Daisy: At the start, when you very first went back to SCW, I understood why you needed someone to have your back. You didn’t know what was going to happen, and how things were going to pan out, that’s why I agreed to stand in your corner, but it was always going to be a temporary thing. You want to stand on your own feet, and Miami is proof positive that you can, but that isn’t going to happen if I come to the ring with you every single week. Not only that Owen, but I also never really wanted to return to SCW, I was done with that company, and I only made the exception because it was you. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not casting you out in the cold. I’ll always be here for you if you need an ear, or any advice, but can’t you see? This is no different to your situation when you lived in Los Angeles. Where you knew you always had a safety net no matter what.

Owen: I’m not sure I’m ready though

Daisy: You are Owen, everything you’ve achieved so far hasn’t been because I’m stood there, it’s because of you. Seriously, how many times have I had to get involved? The fact of the matter is you don’t need me Owen. The moment you stepped back into this company; I don’t think you ever did. It’s time for you to spread those wings and fly and show everyone what I see, and what you are truly capable of.

Owen: You really think I can do this?

Daisy: I know you can Owen.

Owen nods thoughtfully. In his mind Daisy would be in his corner indefinitely, but somewhere in the deepest regions of his brain there was a part of him that knew this agreement would one day come to an end and Daisy would go back to her life. He was twenty-two years old now, and he was never going to be truly standing on his own feet until Daisy left his corner. He at least knew that even he she wasn’t there he would always have a best friend. And that meant everything to him. That someone could care that much.

Owen: I guess that’s decided then. I owe you Daisy. For everything you’ve done.

Daisy: It wasn’t me Owen, this person was always there, I just helped you bring it out. Now it’s time for that person to thrive… and I know you will. And I know that one day it will be with Jennifer right by your side.

Owen: I hope so.

Daisy: You’ve shown everything else Owen. You’re a more skilled competitor, a more level-headed individual and people are seeing that firsthand. All you now have to be is patient and you’ll have it all.

Owen stands and the two hug, both with smiles on their faces.

Daisy: Good luck Owen…

Owen: Thank you.

Daisy: It was my pleasure.

Owen spent a little while longer there, and had lunch with Daisy and her Father, but always at the forefront of his mind was his future, and where he went from here. All that mattered though was that he had a future, twelve months ago he wouldn’t have been so sure of that. Now, he needed to make the most of his second chance. And he was damn sure that he would.

2nd June 2022
Los Angeles

With the Wrestling school now just a few weeks from opening, Owen had decided that he had just enough time to travel to Los Angeles from Texas, before making his way directly to Atlanta for the PPV. Atlanta was only a short flight to Miami, but he had a few signings that he would have to do before the PPV and so therefore it would make more sense if he went straight there. After firming things up with psychiatrist Andy, who would spend Three Days in New York, Four in Los Angeles, he had a little while to spare so he heading to the mall to pick up a few things. With a couple of bags containing new clothes, he makes his way through the mall, heading towards the car park where he would drive straight to the airport.

“Owen?”

Surprised that someone is calling him by name, he almost immediately recognizes the voice, and turns to face Jennifer.

Jennifer: What you doing here?

Owen: Just picking up some stuff.

Jennifer: Oh Jesus, you buying clothes for yourself again?

Owen: Yeah… what’s wrong with that?

Jennifer rolls her eyes and makes a grab for one of the bags, rolling her eyes at the contents and then seeing Owen’s bandaged up wrist.

Jennifer: What did you do? Wrestling injury.

Owen: Would you believe me if I said yes?

Jennifer: Not now I wouldn’t, no.

Owen looks at his watch

Owen: I really gotta get to the airport Jen

Jennifer: I’m sure you’ve got ten minutes. Coffee seeing as you’re here. My shout?

Owen: OK, one coffee, then I gotta go.

Jennifer: Deal

TEN MINUTES LATER

Owen and Jennifer sit at a coffee house, both with cups of coffee in front of them. Jennifer cradles her, but Owen sits with his right hand purposely resting on his knee

Jennifer: I’m not going to forget you know. How did you hurt yourself?

Owen: Honestly Jen, it’s best if we don’t speak about it.

Jennifer: Best for who?

Owen: Everyone… can we talk about something else?

Jennifer: Sure, we can talk about something else. Once you tell me what happened to your wrist.

Owen sighs resigned to his fate. He’d promised no more lies, and even if he did she would see right through him.

Owen: It was an accident.

Jennifer: OK, then it shouldn’t be a problem telling me.

Owen: I got into a heated conversation, I got pushed and fell over a stool, spraining my wrist.

Jennifer: Heated conversation? With who?

Owen rubs his eyes with his good hand, there was no getting out of this one.

Owen: It was Regan…

Jennifer: Mom. Why?

Owen blows the froth of his Cappuccino and then takes a sip, Jennifer waiting patiently for answers.

Owen: Because someone anonymously sent her pictures of you and me in Miami cuddling.

Jennifer: And she pushed you over for that? We’re friends.

Owen lowers his eyes to the floor

Jennifer: Owen, is there something else you’re not telling me?

Owen: She asked me if we had slept together.

Jennifer’s face drops.

Owen: I couldn’t lie to her Jen, I just couldn’t. She was walking away from me, so angry, and I grabbed her, it was all instinct.

He brings his hand up and rests it on the table.

Owen: And this happened when I fell.

Jennifer: Owen, I know you are all about telling the truth nowadays, but really?

Owen: I don’t know, perhaps I thought she’d accept it.

Jennifer: This is Mom you’re talking about. No wonder she’s been weird with me.

Owen: Oh, she doesn’t blame you. It’s all on me. Either way, she made it clear that you and I are not to see each other, not even as friends and then she left.

Jennifer: But, you have a match this weekend don’t you?

Owen: Yeah, Taking Hold of the Flame. I just need to make the best of it. I don’t blame her Jen, I kind of deserve it after what I did to you and your family. She’s just looking out for you.

Jennifer takes his hand with the sprained wrist, gently rubbing her finger on the back of his hand

Jennifer: How did we get into this mess huh?

Owen: I’m to blame for all of it Jen. I guess I’m getting off lightly with a sprained wrist huh.

Jennifer lets go of his hand and rubs her eyes, before looking directly into Owen’s.

Jennifer: I can’t do this anymore Owen, I just can’t. All I want to do is be happy, and I’m happiest when I’m with you. And now you’re getting hurt, and potentially losing something important to you, just because Mom doesn’t like the fact, we are friends. I love them Owen, and I don’t want to upset them, but what about me, what about my feelings?

Owen is speechless and unsure what to say. She seemed to be telling him that she wanted to be with him but didn’t want to jinx it in anyway.

Jennifer: This isn’t fair on anyone.

Owen: I get it if you don’t want to see each other anymore, not even as friends.

Jennifer: That’s not what I want Owen.

Owen: Then what do you want?

She thinks about the question for a few seconds, going through all the permutations at light speed whilst every single time arriving at the same conclusion.

Jennifer: The same as you.

She stands, and leans over the table, cupping Owen’s face with her hands and kissing him full on the lips. At first Owen is in shock, but then he melts into the kiss, allowing himself to be taken away by the moment. As Jennifer sits back down, Owen is still lost, but when he comes too, Jennifer is sat in front of him, biting her bottom lip and looking more beautiful that she ever had.

Jennifer: Say something Owen.

Owen: Does this mean…?

He doesn’t have to finish the sentence, Jennifer already nodding.

Jennifer: I love you, and I want to be with you. You’re my lobster…

Owen laughs as Jennifer clearly cringes after a reference to their favorite episode of ‘Friends’. He takes both her hands in his, noticing that the pain was just about bearable, or perhaps his mind was elsewhere.

Owen: But what about your Mom and Dad… and AJ for that matter? I don’t want to cause any trouble.

Jennifer: Then we won’t tell them, not until we are ready. I don’t like lying to them, but maybe given time to figure it out, they will figure it out too.

Owen: And this person taking photos… for all we know they are watching us right now.

Jennifer shrugs

Jennifer: I don’t know all the answers Owen, all I know is I feel like we should be together, and I think you feel the same.

Owen: I do.

Jennifer: Then we stand on our own two feet. We aren’t kids anymore, we know what we want and once they see it for themselves, they will too.

Owen: I don’t like lying to anyone Jen

Jennifer: More than you don’t like being apart?

Owen doesn’t answer

Jennifer: Exactly, so if we get found out, so be it. We’ll deal with it then.

Owen: And you are sure? No second thoughts like last time.

She leans forwards, and they kiss again. As they part, Jennifer gives him the most amazing smile.

Jennifer: No second thoughts… I promise.

Owen smiles back, almost in disbelief. Just half an hour a go his greatest concern was competing with a sprained wrist, but now, none of that seemed to matter. Win or lose at Taking Hold of the Flame his career was back on track. His hatred for his Father had faded away to almost nothing, replaced by a certain understanding. He was talking to his Mom again, like nothing had happened. But more important than all, he and Jennifer were finally back together. And as they clasp hands, Owen can only believe one thing. That being it was a good time to be alive. And as far as he was concerned, this were only going to get better. The fact was that right now, never mind thirty-nine people, Owen felt like he could take on the world

3rd June 2022
Cleveland
Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse

Owen emerges from one of the tents set up for the SCW Fan Event just outside the venue for this weekend’s Taking Hold of the Flame, putting on his sunglasses as the brightness outside hurts his eyes. Several of the SCW Superstars had just finished the last autograph signing of the day, and Owen was ready to hit the gym and put in his final preparations for what could be a career defining special event. However, as he walks, he spots a camera filming the event, and walks over to it.

“Hey man, you wanna earn some extra cash.”

The camera moves in a nodding motion.

“Cool, then let’s do this.”

Owen had planned to do his final promo in the hotel room later, or perhaps even the gym. But an impromptu version like this seemed to fit in amongst all the chaos that Taking Hold of the Flame would inevitably be. He positions himself in front of the tent, the SCW Taking Hold of the Flame banner prominently displayed behind him before then acknowledging the camera facing him with a nod. Several fans start to circle around, realizing what was about to happen but Owen didn’t mind one bit, he was more than happy that there were still those that wanted to listen to him, and if anything, he was making more time for the fans than he even did before.

“We on?”

The cameraman nods his head, not really believing that after mulling around the fan event capturing emotions, he was going to get an exclusive with one of the competitors in the Battle Royal, someone who many expected to go quite deep into the competition. Owen wasn’t buying into the hype however, he’d already explained the chaotic nature of this match, and the odds against them all. It was however nice that people were starting to believe in him again. Ruffling the hair of a young man who stands nearby, his parents even more eager than him to get in the shot, Owen starts to speak, quietly and yet supremely confident.

“When I came back to this company there is no doubt that I once again wanted to taste success in the way I had as a teenager. It might seem like a lifetime ago now, but I still remembered what it felt like to be SCW World Champion, and there was no way I was going to come back into this industry without that accolade always positioned nicely at the back of my mind.

Anyone who says they don’t want to be World Champion, with of course the exception of Kim Williams, they are lying through their teeth.

After all, if you don’t, what the hell are you doing here? But I knew that I wasn’t going to walk in and be given title shot after title shot, that’s not the way this company works, and it’s the reason why it has existed for so long. I knew I would have to work, and undeniably that is precisely what I have done. I’ve worked my ass off to ensure that when titles are being spoken about, I am in the equation. The United States title fell by the wayside, I’ve wasted more than enough time talking about that. And now the next opportunity presents itself. A potential opportunity at Rise to Greatness for the SCW World Championship. It quite literally doesn’t get any bigger than that.”

Owen takes off his sunglasses and looks down at the boy and winks at him, putting a smile on the little man’s face that he would probably remember forever.

“But at the forefront of my ‘rehabilitation’ I guess you could call it, was always going to be these guys... the fans. Sometimes, you lose that connection, social media tends to be more negative than anything else as the trolls will always have prominence. So, it’s difficult to understand just how far you have fallen, and who still believes in you and who doesn’t, the good comments almost drowned out by the bad. These events, really getting in front of the people, and being able to talk to them one on one, it gives you a reality check but in a good way. You start to understand that these amazing people believed in me more than I even believed in myself, and I’ll never take that for granted ever again. Even in my darkest days, even after I assaulted the one man that made all of this, SCW, possible, these people were good enough to never lose hope. And I appreciate that more than they will ever know. I stand here right now, at least in part, because of them. I couldn’t keep say sorry and you know what, the ones that truly mattered, they don’t expect me to. All I can now do is show my appreciation by action. By being here at these events front and center and making myself accessible to them, and they did me as I attempted to turn all this around. I thought public opinion would kill me when I returned, I guess that’s why I bought Daisy with me, just in case I was lynched at arenas worldwide. It’s credit to you all that you saw through it all where I couldn’t, happy to give me the second chance I didn’t believe I deserved.”

The crowd around him has now started to increase, not that Owen has noticed. He seems totally focused on what he wants to say, determined to get his point across and get things right.

“I don’t care what they say at GCW. And I’m sure my good friend Adam Lucas would disagree, but EAW have got it all wrong as well. No question about it. Supreme Championship Wrestling has THE best fans in the world, bar none. The most knowledgeable, understanding fan base IN THE WORLD. And you know what, I am honored to represent them Sunday night in the Taking Hold of the Flame match and do everything I can to ensure that when the dust settles, I am the one left standing.”

A small, respectful ripple of applause rolls around those nearby, Owen acknowledging the response with a humble smile, Owen showing his humility towards them. As the applause dies down, he continues.

“Easier said than done right? I mean let’s face it, there are thirty-nine other people that are going to state exactly the same thing, many who already have. These people are all incentivized in their own way, all believing that this is going to be their moment. I mean, if you watched Breakdown you would have heard Josh Hudson talking about how he was going to make sure he was the one to throw me from the ring, teaching me a lesson when I’m still waiting for the last one that he promised. You can’t have missed Kim Williams wanting to win so that she can place her Underground Title in the Main Event at Rise to Greatness, totally missing the point of what Taking Hold of the Flame has always been about, once again disrespecting the history of this company that so many, but her, try to uphold. Diamond Steele, Terry Marshall, Sarah Wolf… people who only just found their way to SCW, their incentive is to put out a statement to the entire world that they ain’t there to make up the numbers. Just imagine one of them Main Eventing Rise to Greatness, and some bigger names around these corridors having to watch on. You simply cannot underestimate the desire and determination these people must have, to make their way through the field and have their name forever instilled in history. I won’t be doing that; I won’t overlook anyone… but who will? See, whilst Josh has his eyes trained on me, desperate to ‘once again’ put me in my place, is he going to be watching someone like Terry Marshall who will be looking to dump a legend like him out of the reckoning and do something that will be remembered? I listen to Josh Hudson, and I don’t hear a veteran of this business, his voice crackles with desperation every single time he speaks, I heard it clear as day at Breakdown when he wouldn’t face me, so who’s to say others haven’t? Terry Marshall isn’t a newbie to all this; his experience cannot be taken for granted. A match like this, you CANNOT be focused on individuals, and ONLY what is placed in front of you. Josh SHOULD know that, he’s been here before, but it certainly looking like he doesn’t, or his old age betrays him, and he’s forgotten.”

Owen laughs, rolling his eyes.

“It’s a fool’s errand, absolutely no doubt about it. Gavin Taylor, up until recently one half of the tag team champions. Nicole Kinnick, on her day just about as dangerous as they come. Beard, the Television champion proudly repping that belt. Syren, Adam Allocco, and Tommy Valentine. FORMER WORLD CHAMPIONS, and yet all the UNITED STATES CHAMPION can talk about is me…”

Owen shrugs his shoulders in total disbelief, making the little boy and many others chuckle.

“I should be honored I guess that someone like him, believes he needs to use someone like me to maintain relevancy. I mean, the whole world knows full well that he shouldn’t be the United States Champion, I should imagine that rankles with him as well. But when you’ve got all these individuals gunning for the same prize as him, it’s next level stupidity. When you’ve got what, almost a third of the field that has yet to reveal themselves, you would have though Mr. Hudson would have a whole lot more to think about than just little old me. And yet he doesn’t, and that is detriment to him, no one else. And ultimately, it’s a show of disrespect towards the likes of Syren, Tommy and Adam, and seriously, he should know better. I’ll let them be the judge however, because Josh, and I address you directly now bro, when it comes to Taking Hold of the Flame our history means NOTHING to me. You Josh, are just another face in the crowd I must eliminate to get where I want to be. It really is as simple as that. And no amount of trying to make something out of literally nothing is going to change that. This one night, you are no more important than anyone else. That time will come no doubt, but not at Taking Hold of the Flame. You come after me though bro, I promise you I’ll be ready.”

Owen folds his sunglasses his eyes now having almost gotten used to the sun and places them on the collar of his Owen Lee branded tee shirt, pulling out a cap from his back pocket and shading his eyes from the sun with the peak instead.

“And that’s the thing, there are many people in this match that believe that they are the most important of person of all, no matter what others have achieved. You can hear it in their tone and once again it is such a foolish way of dealing with a situation such as this. I mean let’s face it, these guys on the ‘reserved’ list yet to show themselves, you could send yourself silly, musing over who it could be. David Helms perhaps? Lucas Knight? Regan Street? Minerva? Huge names with huge reputations, more than capable of winning the whole damn thing with one solid performance. We could end up dealing with Jason Zero, Matt Hodges, Hurse or Rachel Tatum Lee. That last one isn’t a hint by the way, I wouldn’t dare make a reveal like that and I certainly don’t have a clue. You stick any of those names in this match, and I’m not even naming ninety-nine percent of legendary people who could quite legitimately make their returns, we see shocks and surprises every year. Those kinds of names, that kind of stature would flip the dynamic on its head, and yet, there will be individuals in this match who STILL believe that it’s all about them. It’s cool though. You know one of the best things about Taking Hold of the Flame, other than obviously winning it? It’s the stills of people’s faces when the realization hits home that they are not as ‘great’ as they think they are, and their 100% guarantees having imploded. The look of despair, the arrogance having finally dispersed when they realize that their dreams have gone up in smoke for yet another year. That’s all well and good of course, that’s not really the most pitiful thing. No, the worst bit about it is they will be saying the EXACT same things next year, with no doubt the same result, and having learned precisely nothing. I get confidence in yourself; you’ll get nowhere without it. But making a 100% guarantee in a match like this is laughable. It’s embarrassing. And yet there will be many that do it, knowing that some of the biggest names in Supreme Championship Wrestling, guys that built this place from the ground up, could be about to enter the fray. Arrogance always comes before a fall. A legendary figure told me that, an ‘Icon’ if you will…”

He smirks, making it perfectly clear who he was talking about, the crowd certainly picking up on his meaning, Orlando’s name whispered so as not to interrupt Owen.

“And so many of us WILL fall. It is far from being a weakness to be able to recognize that. The truth is, accepting reality is a strength, it evidences that you are more readily prepared. When I draw my number whatever it may be, my chances will either increase, or decrease. That’s the reality. Whoever it may be is left when I enter, and who is left to come will also have a direct impact on my odds, and that’s reality too. Anyone who believes this is all in their hands is about to get a culture shock, because all you can do is play the cards your dealt and see where they fall and stay in the match if you possibly can, using every single attribute in your possession to make sure you survive. Because that’s what this match is. It’s survival. And if I’m nothing else, I AM a survivor. I may no longer have the exuberance of youth that I once relied on, but I am now a more rounded, experienced competitor that unlike some doesn’t take a single thing for granted. Will that carry me through to the end when someone like Sarah Wolf is looking to make a defining statement? Will it be enough when Alexis Quinne brings herself to the match, when I know full well how much this event means to her? Will I personally have what it takes to deal with the *cough* brutality *cough* that Konrad Raab will throw at anyone who gets in his way…”

Owen chuckles to himself and his shameless dig.

“Yes, I believe it will. No matter what Kimberley Williams believes. Or how much Katie Steward wants to reclaim her former glories. How long has she been looking for that now by the way? Polly’s, Penguins, Bears… we could have one of the most hilarious winners of Taking Hold of the Flame ever. That’s how unpredictable this match is. Stay alive… that’s the only way you maintain a chance of winning. So, if I’ve got to use my speed to stay out of the way of the older, slower guys like Konrad, Terry and Josh… I’m kidding Josh, keep your hair on fella… then that’s precisely what I am going to do, using that very same attribute to keep up with the brilliance of Alexis Quinne. If I need to use my experience in this kind of event to truly ‘enlighten’ Giovanni’s minion Sammy Thomas Davies, you get bet that I’ll be more than ready. If I’ve got to face the ‘exuberance’ of a Jenni Anderson, Amelia Stone, Diamond Steele, or Terry Marshall, all looking for that ‘statement’, you can be sure that I’ll match that with determination, desire and hunger.”

Owen shrugs his shoulders, not allowing the adrenaline to surge and his emotions to show.

“Simply put… that’s what I do. That’s why stepping into the ring with one of the greatest of all time in Syren will never faze me, even though throughout my time here in SCW she has consistently had my number. Going toe to toe with Tommy Valentine only serves to bring the hairs up on the back of my neck, such is his reputation and all that he has done for not just SCW, but for the industry overall with his wrestling school. Adam Allocco hates me with a passion; he hates my family… he’s always had a bug up his ass about us for apparently no reason. But I don’t step away from that challenge, I embrace it. Winning this match with individuals like that in it. Knowing that the standard could yet still increase…”

He shakes his head, almost in disbelief.

“It would probably be sweeter than when I won that World Title, that’s how important this victory would be. Anybody got a drink?”

Someone steps forwards and passes Owen an unopened bottle of water, Owen taking off his baseball cap and passing it to the woman with a wink of thanks. He then unscrews the cap and takes a sip, licking his lips that had become dry. Still holding the bottle, he continues.

“This is a match that will define the end of this season. Someone is going to emerge from that field as the sole survivor, and I’m going to do everything in my power to ensure that person is me.”

Owen takes another sip before placing the bottle on the floor.

“I’m doing this because first and foremost guys, I am a WRESTLER, and not some character in some cinematic epic. I entertain through my ability, and not through stories that seem like they were ripped from the 1980’s before the advent of CGI. Syren hasn’t been World Champion in a while now, so you can bet that’s a situation that is eating away at her. She won’t have time for games, she will be ALL business guaranteed. You can bet that Gavin Taylor will have far more sincerity behind his words and will drop at least of the comedic effect. Beard will leave an element of bluster in the back and bring his ‘A’ game, wanting to show that he is a true champion. Adam Allocco will be hell bent on proving that he isn’t some broken down drunk… yet again.”

Another grin from Owen brings laughter from his fans.

“THEY know exactly how this match works. They’ve been here, they’ve done that, whereas the new guys won’t. This match is difficult for us all, with so many moving parts, it’s even more so when you don’t understand or have a sense of the task you are undertaking. Ask yourself these questions, and I won’t name names, you’ll know who you are. Are you fully focused on Sunday the 5th of June? Is it the ONLY thing right now on your mind? If the answer to either of those questions is no, I’m telling you now you are in for one hell of a culture shock. How many of you will learn from that? In fact, scrub that, how many of you will still be around for THOTF 2023, when you realize exactly what you signed up for? Right now, you think this is like any other wrestling organization, when guys, respectfully, it’s not. You’re in the big leagues, and there is nothing bigger than Taking Hold of the Flame. You come through this; you’re set for life believe me. So please for God’s sake start acting like it.”

Owen puts his hands in his jean pockets, as the sun appears once more from behind the clouds, Owen once again putting on his sunglass.

“There is a reason that I have been spoken of as one of the favorites to win this match, that being that since I returned, I have shown that I haven’t missed a beat during my hiatus. Only Kandis has managed to beat me categorically, and unequivocally, as I have waited patiently for my opportunity to once again stand atop this business, having once again proven myself worthy… and able to be trusted by those that I once let down. I’m ready for that burden, far more so than I was a year ago, I’m ready to take that final step I couldn’t last year when losing to Ace Marshall. That was the biggest deal for me when I returned, not getting back to where I was but going beyond. As a human being I have achieved that, and now my career must follow in the same vein, by being better than I ever was. So although I accept, the odds aren’t great, and names such as Josh Hudson, Syren, Tommy Valentine and a plethora of others are bound to dominate the wrestling columns that will no doubt go into overdrive over the next few hours, in no way am I overawed by the occasion.

I was BORN for this occasion.

So, Josh make your empty threats, I don’t care. Allocco, disrespect my name and where I came from, it will have no bearing. Konrad, prove yourself to be just about the weakest ‘monster’ that ever walked this corridors, I’ll still focus only on what I need to do. In fact, you know what. No matter who the hell you are, discount me, dispute what I have said over these past few days, and it won’t make a blind bit of difference. After these past twelve months, the fact that I am even here is a victory… so winning the whole damn thing would be quite the cherry on the cake. Taking Hold of the Flame 2022 Winner Owen Lee… it has quite the ring to it don’t you think…”

He pauses, looking around what is now undoubtedly HIS crowd.

“And then Supreme Champion Wresting, who knows that the culmination of this season will bring.”

He smiles, applauding the people who took the time to listen.

“Will Owen Lee RISE?”

He chuckles to himself, steepling his hands and resting them on the edge of his nose.

“Right here, right now, no one can tell you the answer to that question, not even me.”

He kneels down so that he is level with the young boy, a cheer ringing out, the little boy clearly loving being next to his hero. Owen looks him straight in the eye, asking both him, and the viewers the same question.

“But it’s going to be a hell of a lot of fun finding out.”

He ruffles the boy’s hair again, as he gets to his feet, the fans applauding him, the camera continuing to roll to take in what is an emotion moment for Owen, and unbeknown to us all, almost overcoming him. He keeps his composure however with a deep breath, winking and then saluting the camera. He then stands with his fans, and it is on that scene that the footage cuts, Owen grinning from ear to ear.

[Image: 270041540-258425806375597-7033161467703002046-n.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Taking Hold of the Flame Battle Royal - by Owen - 06-03-2022, 11:17 PM