Gimmick Battle Royal
Friday, July 22
Kenner, LA

“I'm so glad you were able to come visit!” Jaina Lancaster says over a glass of tea. Her best friend from high school, Macy Breaux, smiles excitedly. The young women sit outside on the fenced in back patio of the condo she bought several months ago.
“I know! School has been just so busy, and we've been doing so much with Kevin's family.”
Macy had gone to Lafayette, the University of Louisiana, for college. She was now in her junior year of nursing school.
“Too bad he couldn't come, too. I really want to meet him.” Macy had been dating Kevin Baker for the last year.
“I knooow, he really wanted to come, but work sent him to Texas. He has a huge repair job at some grocery store in Beaumont. Like half their registers are down.”
“Good thing IT pays good, cause that sounds like it sucks.”
Macy laughs. “It pays great. But he said to promise you he'll come next time.” Jaina smiles. “So, what about your guy? I still haven't met him.”
Jaina blinks. “My guy?”
“Yeah... that super hot wrestler guy you were messing with?"
“OH. Christian. Well....” Jaina looks down at her glass of tea.
“Oh no.... you broke up?”
“I don't know if you'd even call it that. I'm not sure we were ever officially together. We just hung out a lot when we were in the same city.”
“Hold on... didn't he stay here with you for like two weeks after that asshole grabbed you at your aunt's wedding?”
“Yeah. And I was grateful he did. But... I don't know, we never had that conversation. And the last few months, since his step-mom had her baby, he's been in LA with his family. We talk and text, but...” Jaina's words trail off. She felt the rest didn't need explanation.
“Oh. That sucks. I really thought you guys had something.”
“We did. A lot of sex.” The friends look at each other deadpan for a few seconds, then both laugh.
“Jay!”
Jaina shrugs. “Well it's true.” They continue laughing a few seconds, then Macy sighs.
“You need more than that in your life, though.”
“No I don't. I have a job where I get to travel. Aunt Bree just had a baby and he's the sweetest thing ever. Mom is finally letting Loki start to do simple training in the ring-”
“Wait, what?!”
“Yeah, I mean he's fourteen now. So he comes to the beginner class and we do stuff together.”
“I can't believe your mom let him.”
“It was more Dad who objected, really. But he always caves. Eventually.” Jaina smirks.
“Well, it sounds like you're too busy to date anyway.”
“I really am.”
“Maybe when he's old enough, you and Loki can be a tag team!”
“I don't know... I'd have to get back into wrestling for that.”
“You should. You, Loki, and your friend Marie!”
Marie Caedes. Jaina sighs. Marie had been injured months ago. Got involved with a man who trained at BlackOut Academy, Spencer Pryce. Then was crushed when he got fired from SCW and moved back to Beaumont, without her.
“I don't know if either me or Marie will ever get back in the ring. But enough about me, tell me how school is going.”
Macy sits back and smiles. “Well.....”

The two spend the afternoon catching up on Macy's school and Jaina's work. Jaina really missed her friend and was glad to have her over for the weekend. Talking about wrestling and Rise to Greatness next  though? Put an idea into her head, that she just couldn't ignore.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Bet you never thought you'd see me preparing to get in the ring again, huh? I didn't think I would either when I stepped back after being targeted by Tsunami, seeing my friend Marie get hurt. I admit, watching Marie struggle to heal from that stinger really freaked me out. I've seen wrestling injuries my whole life, I grew up with Mom. But it's different when the person you're watching cringe in pain and frustrated about not healing fast enough is someone your own age. I didn't want that to happen to me. So I bailed.

But. I never liked the way I left things. I went out on a loss, and just sorta... faded away. I took a few weeks off, then went back to holding a mic like nothing happened. My family and friends say it's silly, but I feel like a failure. I quit. I quit before I even had a chance to get better. They can say it's silly all they want, but I know how I feel and what's in my heart.

My mom didn't raise any quitters.

So, Rise to Greatness. Battle royal. I know there's no real prize on the line, but for me? The prize is getting my pride back. I know everyone that's going to show up for it has way more experience than me. We'll see veterans, a few legends, maybe some surprise returns. I doubt I'll win, but it's not about winning for me. It's about not giving up. Proving that I didn't really quit... I just took a break. Will I go back to wrestling full time after this? I don't know. Probably not. I love my job. But I want to prove that getting in the ring is always an option. I want to prove that I can fight, I can handle myself, and most importantly....

….I don't quit.

I'm not even doing this to prove that to my family, or Marie, or even all the fans. I need to prove it to myself."
[Image: Jaina2.png]

Messages In This Thread
Gimmick Battle Royal - by supremecw - 07-09-2022, 04:21 PM
RE: Gimmick Battle Royal - by Corner G - 07-10-2022, 10:08 AM
RE: Gimmick Battle Royal - by Braddock - 07-15-2022, 02:19 PM
RE: Gimmick Battle Royal - by Braddock - 07-18-2022, 09:16 AM
RE: Gimmick Battle Royal - by Ducky - 07-18-2022, 08:04 PM
RE: Gimmick Battle Royal - by Ricky James - 07-19-2022, 01:28 PM
RE: Gimmick Battle Royal - by Lt. Erect - 07-21-2022, 12:59 AM
RE: Gimmick Battle Royal - by The Matt - 07-21-2022, 08:53 AM
A Freeform Poem - by fullMETAL - 07-24-2022, 12:51 AM
RE: Gimmick Battle Royal - by Executioner - 07-27-2022, 01:48 PM